Sounds good.

Just deliver please. K? Thanks.

Double Barrel
10-28-2010, 04:25 PM
Talk the talk, now walk the walk. :texflag:

BullNation4Life
10-28-2010, 04:26 PM
Talk is cheap....

I'll believe it if they hold Manning under 250 and 1 TD...

houstonspartan
10-28-2010, 04:30 PM
Talk is cheap....

Exactly

infantrycak
10-28-2010, 04:31 PM
"We need veteran leadership. We need veteran leadership"

Now poo-poo it when you get it.

hobie
10-28-2010, 04:36 PM
Not sure what POM actually do... just get out there and do YOUR job and things will take care of itself !

SheTexan
10-28-2010, 04:44 PM
I like their spirit! They know what they have to do to "turn things around," now they just gotta DO IT!! I believe in them, I really do!! NO way in hell do these guys wanna go out and make fools of themselves AGAIN on MNF! As bad as they have been, they still have a lot of pride! The D will do their job!! NOW, all we gotta worry about is which Matt Schaub will show up. PLEASE football gawds, let it be the pro- bowler!!

Old School
10-28-2010, 04:48 PM

No kidding! I'm just happy in the fact that someone took the bull (yes, pun intended) by the horns and showed some leadership!:texflag:

Buffi2
10-28-2010, 04:51 PM
It is high darned time someone did something. Often these little POMs actually turn the tide. It sure as the devil can't hurt.

silvrhand
No kidding! I'm just happy in the fact that someone took the bull (yes, pun intended) by the horns and showed some leadership!:texflag:

Agreed!

:splits:

MightyTExan
http://aofg.blogs.com/.a/6a00d83451c7bb69e20120a77485e5970b-pi

Kaiser Toro
10-28-2010, 05:03 PM
http://aofg.blogs.com/.a/6a00d83451c7bb69e20120a77485e5970b-pi

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51wv3Y2IA5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
The Texans' Festivus Pole

PapaL
10-28-2010, 05:03 PM
Yawn...ACTIONS.

drewmar74
10-28-2010, 05:06 PM

I'm not poo-pooing it. I think it's a great thing.

And I'm hoping it yields results.

TimeKiller
10-28-2010, 05:22 PM
I wonder what was said. Hopefully it was a speech filled with inspiration, passion and knowing AS probably a little anger and some f bombs. I know I'm tired of seeing it, it's good to know THEY are tired of seeing it. I think we'll all be impressed if we start seeing improvement and where you sit on the hope scale is up to you but I'm not really expecting much. Geez, if they just pick themselves off the floor and give the impression that they are a professional football defense we'll have a hell of a better time through the end of the season.

JB
10-28-2010, 05:37 PM
Hopefully, it was a "Just do your damn job and don't worry about anything else! And bring it every damn play! You get tired, get off the field and let the next man step up.

I really think that everyone has been trying to do too much, and worried that the youngsters need help doing theirs.

Cushing missing the first 4 games threw the D out of kilter, and they got to get it back!

Kaiser Toro
10-28-2010, 05:42 PM
Players only meetings are for teams that are young or still trying to find their identity.

I think it is good anytime units get together and that this is an action that fits in to the accountability theme.

CloakNNNdagger
10-28-2010, 05:50 PM
Antonio Smith learned his team communication skills at an early age.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_SYx7wYIq3oQ/SjOtz_Vd1UI/AAAAAAAACpo/FsYQXpJ7dHU/s400/kick-butt.gif

mokalus
10-28-2010, 06:09 PM

I agree. We should be excited that someone on the team took the initiative to hold a players-only defensive meeting, especially after considering the fact that their captain, Demeco Ryans, has just been lost for the season. I'm proud of Antonio for stepping up as a leader, not only with his talk, but with his walk thus far in the season as well.

Tonaaayyyy
10-28-2010, 06:11 PM
If they get any fines for rough hits... I will be pleased, better than nothing

Corrosion
10-28-2010, 06:22 PM
Talk is cheap....

I think I'd be satisfied if they were to hold them under 30 points .... as long as the offense scores 31 :cool:

Texan_Bill
10-28-2010, 06:31 PM

I was thinking the same exact thing!!

Rey
10-28-2010, 06:32 PM
I'm just happy that they are showing some 'want to'...

Of course they have to back it up, but strong desire to do so is the first step.

BigBull17
10-28-2010, 06:47 PM
Not sure what POM actually do... just get out there and do YOUR job and things will take care of itself !

Its for Zerokoye. He needs a motivator.

J_R
10-28-2010, 07:01 PM
Safety Bernard Pollard said that Smith called everybody out – including himself. And the message was loud and clear.

“We’ve got to be able to come together,” Pollard said. “We made a vow. We made a vow to each other… We made a vow to turn this thing around.”

He had the full attention of his teammates during their closed-doors meeting.

“‘Tonio has been a big part of this defense,” Pollard said. “He’s been a big part in this locker room. He’s a silly dude, but he’s a guy who knows how to win. He’s a guy who’s been to a Super Bowl. He knows what it takes to get to that quarterback, he knows what it takes to get that camaraderie out of everybody, and that’s something that we’re looking to do.

“That (meeting) is something that he called, and we all made the vow with him… Everybody shut up. Everybody listened to him. That’s something we needed.”

Defensive tackle Shaun Cody said that the meeting was “overdue.”
“It was time for us to have a meeting,” Cody said. “Hopefully, it’ll help us in our defensive play.

“Antonio’s a leader on our defense. He had some pretty good things for us to hear. You hope it helps, but then again, it’s just words. You’ve got to still go out there and do it.”

Perhaps the meeting is already having a carry-over effect. Pollard said Texans coach Gary Kubiak told players that Thursday’s practice was one of the best that he has seen from the defense.

“I think it checked everybody,” Pollard said. “I think all the guys on our defense actually had to re-evaluate their self, check their self, and today was a great practice… That’s just something that we have to continue to do. “

Of course, the effort that matters most will be the one the Texans give on Monday night in their intra-divisional clash with Peyton Manning and the Indianapolis Colts.

“He’s going to Canton (Hall of Fame),” Pollard said. “Peyton is the best quarterback in the game right now. He’s the best. But this is a must-win for us. This is a must-win for our defense. This is a time for us to step up.”

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-3/Smith-delivers-message-in-players-only-meeting/d5beb755-591a-4215-82d4-0143fcefe1c1

CloakNNNdagger
10-28-2010, 07:25 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-3/Smith-delivers-message-in-players-only-meeting/d5beb755-591a-4215-82d4-0143fcefe1c1

Sounds like a summary of all the posts on this board for the past 2 weeks.

Speedy
10-28-2010, 07:34 PM
Man, I smell a 55 spot about to get thrown up against them.

Thorn
10-28-2010, 07:45 PM
Just win baby.

And if the dreaded Manning is knocked in the dirt in the process, so much the better. I don't care how they do it, as long as they are 5-2 when the game is over. I’m skeptical of any large defensive improvement, but if it happens, I’ll be the first to lead us all in a chorus of Hallelujah’s. I’ve been wanting the return of the House of Pain for a long time now, but considering the shape of our present defense, I really don’t think it’ll be happening any time in the near future.

We’ll see come Monday night who’s who and what’s what anyway.

DerekLee1
10-28-2010, 07:56 PM

The cowboys sure opened a big ol' can of whoopa$$ on us after they had theirs.

TexCanada
10-28-2010, 07:59 PM
I think the problem was just a typo in our defensive play book. Should have read: Bend, but don't break instead of bend, and then break. We should have it sorted out after this meeting.

thunderkyss
10-28-2010, 08:05 PM
Great,so now they are openly blaming each other.

2slik4u
10-28-2010, 08:12 PM
I feel like im having deja vu......could this be the most important game in our history?????

first legit chance to sweep the colts on our way to tie with the tacks for the lead in the division?

Surprised this talk hasnt happened yet.....let it get started....

On another note, I am effing pumped that a veteran in Smith called a players only meeting with only the defense. I would have been happier to see Cushing or Mario do it but its all the same essentially.

I really hope we see a difference in these guys. I think its the fire thats been missing in guys like Pollard, Cush, and our D-line. Theres no doubt that the rest of the defense feeds off of our playmakers when they start playing lights out. Hopefully it starts this Monday in front of the whole country.

Lets get the attention of the rest of the AFC and show them what were made of.

:texflag:

2slik4u
10-28-2010, 08:16 PM
I'm just happy that they are showing some 'want to'...

Of course they have to back it up, but strong desire to do so is the first step.

You are 100% correct my friend. Even with all the talent in the world, if they dont have the "want to", it all goes to S--t. Case in point -----> Dallas Cowboys, ridiculous talent, no want to. You can tell in the way they take the field and play. They had the desire when they played us because there was so much riding on it.....thats why they whooped our asses up and down the field.....on the other side, it was "just another game" for us. Thats BS, it should've been way more than that for every player on our beloved Texan team because it sure as hell was for us.

I have a feeling we will see a different Texan defense on Monday.....but like you said Rey, its all about the desire and want to. Gotta start somewhere.

Well put.

NitroGSXR
10-28-2010, 08:54 PM
Manning… snot bubbles.

That is all.

drewmar74
10-28-2010, 08:59 PM
Manning… snot bubbles.

That is all.

http://www.gifbin.com/bin/1233928590_citizen%20kane%20clapping.gif

JB
10-28-2010, 09:43 PM
Man, I smell a 55 spot about to get thrown up against them.

Pbbbbtttt!!!!

Great,so now they are openly blaming each other.

What??? Where did you come up with that?

Man you have switched around faster than that damn eye test girl!

Manning… snot bubbles.

That is all.

Exactly! Manning is going to think Week 1 was just a practice run for the tackling dummy he will become!

thunderkyss
10-28-2010, 10:26 PM
What??? Where did you come up with that?

Man you have switched around faster than that damn eye test girl!

I told you yesterday..... I'm trying to change, trying to see what it's like to be a debbie downer..... trying to back up from the kool-aide.

But it ain't easy.

I love this team.

BullNation4Life
10-28-2010, 10:29 PM
Look they can have all the damn team meeting in the world, if they don't back it up, and for 6 games they haven't thus far, it don't mean shiznit!

Frankly, I am tired of the "We are going to turn it around" and the "we are working hard to change it" and " we are getting better and making more plays" bull excuses.

I WANT A PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH, SLAP YOUR MAMA, BREAK A FOOT OFF IN YOUR ASS DEFENSE AND I WANT IT NOW!

Until I see it, I won't believe in it....

Texan_Bill
10-28-2010, 10:32 PM
http://www.gifbin.com/bin/1233928590_citizen%20kane%20clapping.gif

http://www.davidbadgerow.com/images/applause.gif

http://artiewayne.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/applause.gif?w=354&h=265

http://pics.livejournal.com/pureunscripted/pic/0007072c

JB
10-28-2010, 10:36 PM
Look they can have all the damn team meeting in the world, if they don't back it up, and for 6 games they haven't thus far, it don't mean shiznit!

Frankly, I am tired of the "We are going to turn it around" and the "we are working hard to change it" and " we are getting better and making more plays" bull excuses.

I WANT A PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH, SLAP YOUR MAMA, BREAK A FOOT OFF IN YOUR ASS DEFENSE AND I WANT IT NOW!

Until I see it, I won't believe in it....

And when you see it, you will call it a fluke and not believe it. Just go ahead and drag the wagon all you want.

Kaiser Toro
10-28-2010, 10:41 PM
And when you see it, you will call it a fluke and not believe it. Just go ahead and drag the wagon all you want.

I'll take the fluke this Monday and never look back.

GP
10-28-2010, 10:56 PM
Finally.

This HAS been long overdue.

There wasn't a unified feeling in the defense. The d-line played for the d-line. The LBers played for the LBers. And the secondary played for itself, too. Three separate units out there, all disconnected from the other units, acting almost independently of one another.

Antonio Smith did what a leader does: Makes the call and dishes out the butt chewing. Mario Williams didn't make the call, and neither did Okoye. Antonio Smith did. Sometimes a season's best player isn't the one who has the best stats...it's the one who does what Antonio Smith did: Call a meeting and making people look one another in the eyes and admit that things are broken.

Plus, as has been pointed out by others, Smith HAS been to a Super Bowl. He has credibility when he's the one doing the rallying of the troops. Psychologically, you want Smith being the one who calls the meeting AND leads the meeting. The other guys haven't been to a championship game. This same type of meeting, had it been called and led by Pollard, would never have been as potentially useful (in the long run).

I like it. Now what we need is for our offense to become VERY vocal supporters and active cheerleaders for the defense on game day this Monday Night. We need energy on the sideline, with our offense showing full support the whole game.

Rah-rah-sis-boom-bah, and all that jazz.....just take the Colts to the glue factory. Let's teach these guys that they have a new role in the AFC South.

TexansBull
10-28-2010, 11:04 PM
We beat the Colts with David "The Mittens" Carr and Ron "I always run in slow motion and ruin my own teammates career" Dayne.

We came close with Sage "I will sell out my previous team" Rosencopter.

We came within field goals last year with Kris "Atleast I won Reggie Bowl" Brown.

Why is it we have the woe is me Eeyore attitude? Dude, it isnt impossible. Is it because some dont want to go out on a ledge a say "Yea, I think we are going to beat them. We done it with better and worse." No, some dont.

http://www.half-asleep.com/pooh/interact/quiz/eeyore.gif

Some want to be "realists" and say "Oh, its the unpredictable Texans. They are my team even though they continuely dissapoint me, but I am a good fan a root for them even when I pick them to lose. But I want them to win. I just dont think they will because its, gasp, Peyton Manning. And my team, they give me no reason to think they can pull it out. I want them to win, I am just not going to say it on a message board because everything sticks here and I dont want to be called dillusional. I mean, I can never be wrong. I always want an out so I can be right."

A POM is something you want. Can we remember the last players meeting our team had? I remember the Cowboys had one right before us and how did that turn out? Are you asking for accountability? Are you asking for fire, intensity, leadership? Well check off the boxes you got it from our team. Granted, they need to follow through. We will see. Meanwhile let get excited and fired up like the players.

http://www.f150online.com/forums/members/dsq3973-albums-misc-pictures-picture48687-yoda-do-do-not-there-no-try.jpg

By the way, I am passing out Kool-Aide, sittin underneath my rainbow and sunshine. Its nice over here. Step away from ledge, out of the rain and join me.

Texecutioner
10-29-2010, 12:03 AM
Players only meetings are for teams that are young or still trying to find their identity.

I think it is good anytime units get together and that this is an action that fits in to the accountability theme.

Agreed Toro.

I've never been as high on Smith as some are in here, but I do like to hear this. It really shows that the guy is trying to be a leader and is passionate about turning this thing around. Kudos to Smith. Hopefully this has some kind of effect. :texflag:

thunderkyss
10-29-2010, 12:31 AM
Finally.
I like it. Now what we need is for our offense to become VERY vocal supporters and active cheerleaders for the defense on game day this Monday Night. We need energy on the sideline, with our offense showing full support the whole game.

Our offense needs to show it's support by contributing to the butt kicking from Kick-off to the final whistle. If they wait till half-way through the third Qtr to join in the fun, this won't be any better than the Washington/KC win.

60 minutes from both sides.

thunderkyss
10-29-2010, 12:40 AM
We beat the Colts with David "The Mittens" Carr and Ron "I always run in slow motion and ruin my own teammates career" Dayne.

We came close with Sage "I will sell out my previous team" Rosencopter.

We came within field goals last year with Kris "Atleast I won Reggie Bowl" Brown.

Why is it we have the woe is me Eeyore attitude? Dude, it isnt impossible.

I think, what the negative nancies are acknowledging is just what you've posted. We've come close... we did with Dayne.. yadda, yadda, yadda... all that proves is that we've been good enough to beat these jokers for at least 4 years, but we've only closed the deal once.

Most of us believe it's a mental thing... a softness issue. The debate, is where does that "attitude" start.

Some want to be "realists" and say "Oh, its the unpredictable Texans.

No.

The Texans are completely predictable. This situation isn't completely new. The numbers (4-2, 5-3) may be a little different, some of the specifics may be different. But you've got to be a fool not to know what this team usually does in this situation.

Are you asking for fire, intensity, leadership? Well check off the boxes you got it from our team. Granted, they need to follow through. We will see. Meanwhile let get excited and fired up like the players.

I think all of us has done our job.... getting fired up, rooting, cheering, representing... & payed back in heartaches...

TexansBull
10-29-2010, 07:19 AM
I think, what the negative nancies are acknowledging is just what you've posted. We've come close... we did with Dayne.. yadda, yadda, yadda... all that proves is that we've been good enough to beat these jockers for at least 4 years, but we've only closed the deal once.

Most of us believe it's a mental thing... a softness issue. The debate, is where does that "attitude" start.

No.

The Texans are completely predictable. This situation isn't completely new. The numbers (4-2, 5-3) may be a little different, some of the specifics may be different. But you've got to be a fool not to know what this team usually does in this situation.

I think all of us has done our job.... getting fired up, rooting, cheering, representing... & payed back in heartaches...

You know you are right about what you said. A lot of people have poured thousands of dollars into the team and have a right to be negative and voice their feelings. I didnt have season tickets, tailgate, and watch all the close wins last year in person so I imagine many have been burnt too long to get excited. Owner decisions, coaching decisions, player decisions...I assume it takes more of a toll on a person seeing it in person. Its like if your wife cheated on you. How different a person would react walking in on it and seeing it in action, or her telling you about it. I can see why some people have a harder time getting fired up as I am. I appreciate the fact that some have been burned that way and cant get excited about this stuff.

I was just thinking more would be fired up about a POM because I cant recall one in recent history. Especially since we are going 14 days without Texans football.

But I disagree about the team being predictable, unless you are saying they are predictably unpredictable. We have found ways to win this season. That is new to this team. Its like Rick Smith said "Bob, you finally have a football team." I believe this year we can finally compete every Sunday with every team and win this year.This team is its own worse enemy, but thats not unique to them. Every NFL team is like that.

Blake
10-29-2010, 07:56 AM
http://twitter.com/#!/NickScurfield/status/29020550614

Bernard Pollard: "We made a vow to turn this thing around."

Lol I am glad it took yall till week 8 to vow to play good defense. Hey BP, next time just F*ing vow in week 1!

Texans34Life
10-29-2010, 07:59 AM
We've been hearing this crap for 9 years. Just shut up and play. The money we're paying you bums should be enough motivation.

HOU-TEX
10-29-2010, 09:05 AM
My tits are sore

JB
10-29-2010, 09:16 AM
:backsout:

GP
10-29-2010, 09:21 AM
My tits are sore

:mcnugget:

b0ng
10-29-2010, 09:23 AM
Manning… snot bubbles.

That is all.

Close thread.

BullNation4Life
10-29-2010, 09:48 AM

Fluke, no but will be skeptical until they do it consistently, like they did for 13 games last year. Oh and to refer to me as some sort of bandwagon jumper, you need to do your damn homework son. I am one of the THE biggest supporters on this board, just do your research about my postings, but I am tired of the same ol excuses year after year. They get it right the first time, there is no need for a POM, that falls on the coaches...

Like I said, I'll believe it when I see it and when I see it consistently, I'll be a true believer. Why is that too much to ask of a team that has fan that have been with this team since inception? Time for the defense and the Texans in general to show some serious testicular fortitude for the next 10 weeks or they are gonna get their asses handed to them on a nice shiny platter...

JB
10-29-2010, 09:53 AM
Fluke, no but will be skeptical until they do it consistently, like they did for 13 games last year. Oh and to refer me as some sort of bandwagon jumper, you need to do your damn homework son. I am one of the THE biggest supporters on this board, just do your research about my postings, but I am tired of the same ol excuses year after year.

Like I said, I'll believe it when I see it...

Not calling you a bandwagon jumper at all. I said that the negativity is a drag on the wagon.

GuerillaBlack
10-29-2010, 09:54 AM
Surprised people are this upset that Antonio called a players only meeting. Thought more would be supportive.

JB
10-29-2010, 09:57 AM
Surprised people are this upset that Antonio called a players only meeting. Thought more would be supportive.

You would think so, but people are too scared to get their hopes up I guess.

*shrugs* Whatever...

Texan_Bill
10-29-2010, 09:57 AM
My tits are sore
:mcnugget:

Double :mcnugget:

BullNation4Life
10-29-2010, 10:03 AM
Not calling you a bandwagon jumper at all. I said that the negativity is a drag on the wagon.

It not negativity at all, it is simply looking at a schedule that consist of some serious teams in the next 10 weeks and a Texans team that is DEAD last in defense and not seeing anything changing.

Bernard Pollard said on his radio show that the secondary had a "come to Jesus" meeting about stepping up their game, and that was after the Cowboys game. 2 games later, same song different verse and Pollard is the one leading the choir...

Talk is cheap and actions speak louder than words, so I want to see less talk and more ass kicking...

BullNation4Life
10-29-2010, 10:08 AM

No just surprised it took THIS long to do so. This meeting should have been done after week 3 after the sorry ass Cowpukes laid a beat down on the them in their own house...

HOU-TEX
10-29-2010, 10:35 AM
Double :mcnugget:

Sorry, I missed one friggin workout (for obvious reasons) and my tits get this sore? Seriously?! Gettin old blows

Plus, it was my way of saying....meh, players meeting don't mean much to me unless it translates to the field

silvrhand
10-29-2010, 10:40 AM
Sorry, I missed one friggin workout (for obvious reasons) and my tits get this sore? Seriously?! Gettin old blows

Plus, it was my way of saying....meh, players meeting don't mean much to me unless it translates to the field

The sad thing is it took Antonio Smith to do it, where's Mario? Will he even show up for the colts game or will it be another lackluster performance when we need his "A" game.

Thorn
10-29-2010, 10:56 AM
The sad thing is it took Antonio Smith to do it, where's Mario? Will he even show up for the colts game or will it be another lackluster performance when we need his "A" game.

Mario generally shows up for Colts games. I'd be surprised if he doesn't come out of Monday night with at least two sacks.

Mr teX
10-29-2010, 10:59 AM
Talk is cheap....

Seconded..

HOU-TEX
10-29-2010, 11:01 AM
Mario generally shows up for Colts games. I'd be surprised if he doesn't come out of Monday night with at least two sacks.

For some reason he's a true beast in Primetime games.

houstonspartan
10-29-2010, 11:27 AM

Mario is simply not wired that way. He's a great player, but not a leader. That's fine. As long as SOMEONE is stepping up, it's all good.

sandman
10-29-2010, 11:38 AM
Seconded..

In six games this year, Manning has gone for 250+ in five of those and had at least 2 TD's in five games as well. The one game that he didn't get at least 250? He got 245. Hell, the Texans beat the Colts soundly in the first meeting and he went off for 400 yards and 3 TD's.

But what you guys want is for a defense last against the pass to hold a HOF QB to his worst outing of the season during a home game on MNF. THAT is your litmus test for gauging if this defense is holding itself accountable?

Seriously, you are setting up unrealistic expecations for what is a marginal defense at best, then you guys will be in here Tuesday Morning b!tching that he threw for 2 TD's, even if the Texans win. Take a dose of freaking reality.

Texan_Bill
10-29-2010, 11:47 AM
For some reason he's a true beast in Primetime games.
This ^^^^^
Mario is simply not wired that way. He's a great player, but not a leader. That's fine. As long as SOMEONE is stepping up, it's all good.
And this ^^^^^

:dontknowa I will agree about getting old, though. It sucks ass!!

JCTexan
10-29-2010, 11:57 AM
In six games this year, Manning has gone for 250+ in five of those and had at least 2 TD's in five games as well. The one game that he didn't get at least 250? He got 245. Hell, the Texans beat the Colts soundly in the first meeting and he went off for 400 yards and 3 TD's.

But what you guys want is for a defense last against the pass to hold a HOF QB to his worst outing of the season during a home game on MNF. THAT is your litmus test for gauging if this defense is holding itself accountable?

Seriously, you are setting up unrealistic expecations for what is a marginal defense at best, then you guys will be in here Tuesday Morning b!tching that he threw for 2 TD's, even if the Texans win. Take a dose of freaking reality.

Ok, so what would be a success for the defense in your opinion? Giving up 300 yards to Manning? The Colts scoring less than 20 points like the Chiefs held them to? The fewest points the Colts have scored in a game is 19 against KC. Should we hope for another 30+ points for both teams? If the Colts score 30 would that really be a success for the defense?

This defense just made a vow to get better. They have allowed over 24 points in every game they've played. I don't quite expect them to give up less than that against the Colts who are out for revenge. So what exactly would be a success for them?

JB
10-29-2010, 12:01 PM
So what exactly would be a success for them?

A win!

sandman
10-29-2010, 12:11 PM
Ok, so what would be a success for the defense in your opinion? Giving up 300 yards to Manning? The Colts scoring less than 20 points like the Chiefs held them to? The fewest points the Colts have scored in a game is 19 against KC. Should we hope for another 30+ points for both teams? If the Colts score 30 would that really be a success for the defense?

This defense just made a vow to get better. They have allowed over 24 points in every game they've played. I don't quite expect them to give up less than that against the Colts who are out for revenge. So what exactly would be a success for them?

For me? Hard to quantify as a metric like X yards or Y TD's, because then you just set yourself. What if they meet the metrics but lose the game? What if they miss the metrics but win the game? If you set your expectations on a number, then you are obligated to judge their performance on that specific number. That is why I think it is stupid to say holding Manning to less than 250 yards and only 1 TD is stupid, because it is completely unrealistic.

But since you asked, I would see the defense not give up the easy TD on a 60 yard pass, but make the Colts battle down the field. That they can hold in the red zone a few times for FG's instead of TD's. That they not try to "win the game" on one play and miss their assignments. Capitalize on one or two mistakes for a TO or to give the offense a short field. You know, all the "but don't break" that is supposed to come after the "bend".

GuerillaBlack
10-29-2010, 12:37 PM
It not negativity at all, it is simply looking at a schedule that consist of some serious teams in the next 10 weeks and a Texans team that is DEAD last in defense and not seeing anything changing.

Bernard Pollard said on his radio show that the secondary had a "come to Jesus" meeting about stepping up their game, and that was after the Cowboys game. 2 games later, same song different verse and Pollard is the one leading the choir...

Talk is cheap and actions speak louder than words, so I want to see less talk and more ass kicking...

Pollard is leading? Is he the one that called and controlled that meeting? Nah, it was Antonio Smith.

thunderkyss
10-29-2010, 03:02 PM

Tits sore??

Getting old blows??

Seriously dude punctuation... there are kids here.

silvrhand
10-29-2010, 03:21 PM
For me? Hard to quantify as a metric like X yards or Y TD's, because then you just set yourself. What if they meet the metrics but lose the game? What if they miss the metrics but win the game? If you set your expectations on a number, then you are obligated to judge their performance on that specific number. That is why I think it is stupid to say holding Manning to less than 250 yards and only 1 TD is stupid, because it is completely unrealistic.

But since you asked, I would see the defense not give up the easy TD on a 60 yard pass, but make the Colts battle down the field. That they can hold in the red zone a few times for FG's instead of TD's. That they not try to "win the game" on one play and miss their assignments. Capitalize on one or two mistakes for a TO or to give the offense a short field. You know, all the "but don't break" that is supposed to come after the "bend".

Exactly do what it takes to win the game, get that big 3rd down stop for our offense, get a field goal attempt instead of the TD. and get that 1 turnover a game and I'll be happy with that, we aren't going to be the Ravens/Steelers we just don't have that type of system. I'd be happy with 14-18 or so ranked defense with the way our offense is.

Be respectable, do what it takes to win, whatever that is.

BullNation4Life
10-29-2010, 04:30 PM
Pollard is leading? Is he the one that called and controlled that meeting? Nah, it was Antonio Smith.

No, Pollard is one of the leaders in the secondary and he is missing tackles, blowing coverage assignments just like the young CBs on the team, and he is the one sounding off. As motivated and a hard hitter as Pollard is, his coverage skills suck and too often this year he has whiffed on tackles, expect for the running QBs he blows up...

thunderkyss
10-29-2010, 05:29 PM
No, Pollard is one of the leaders in the secondary and he is missing tackles, blowing coverage assignments just like the young CBs on the team, and he is the one sounding off. As motivated and a hard hitter as Pollard is, his coverage skills suck and too often this year he has whiffed on tackles, expect for the running QBs he blows up...

I honestly think he abandons his responsibility, because he sees what he thinks is a bigger mistake by another player.

I think it's extremely funny how his "cover skills" are in question.... he did better than fine last year, even bringing in a couple of interceptions.

BullNation4Life
10-29-2010, 05:39 PM
I honestly think he abandons his responsibility, because he sees what he thinks is a bigger mistake by another player.

I think it's extremely funny how his "cover skills" are in question.... he did better than fine last year, even bringing in a couple of interceptions.

Pollard did better than fine against the run, but if memory serves right, his interceptions came on tipped balls, playing zone and one being a horrific pass by Reggie Wayne. Not covering someone, turning his head and making a play on the ball.

Pollard has always had questionable cover skills, even in KC, that was a big knock on him, and for most SS in the league if truth be told.

You may be right about covering other mistakes, but by doing so, it magnifies his and that cannot happen from a player who is very vocal. His hypes starts to ring on deaf ears after a while....

But I digress, if this POM motivates the young ones to play better, the D-Line to get more sacks and keeps opposing QBs from throwing 400+, then it was a genius move but until I see vast improvement like we did last year over 13 games, the Texans are facing a world of hurt and their fans. a world of disappointment...

Rey
10-29-2010, 05:43 PM
Pollard did better than fine against the run, but if memory serves right, his interceptions came on tipped balls, playing zone and one being a horrific pass by Reggie Wayne. Not covering someone, turning his head and making a play on the ball.

Pollard has always had questionable cover skills, even in KC, that was a big knock on him, and for most SS in the league if truth be told.

You may be right about covering other mistakes, but by doing so, it magnifies his and that cannot happen from a player who is very vocal. His hypes starts to ring on deaf ears after a while....

Not saying his coverage skills are great, but he picked off Brady last year too...It wasn't a tipped ball...

But besides that, if you look at a lot of the top INT guys they get a lot of them off tipped balls...

BullNation4Life
10-29-2010, 05:47 PM
Not saying his coverage skills are great, but he picked off Brady last year too...It wasn't a tipped ball...

But besides that, if you look at a lot of the top INT guys they get a lot of them off tipped balls...

Right, and like I said most SS are not good coverage guys. I think KYSS made a very valid point by saying Pollard is trying to cover others mistakes thus making Pollard look like he is the mistake.

As a die hard fan, who makes his family go to church on Saturday so he is not late for the game on Sunday, I am just tired of the talk and want to see the results and I don't think that is asking too much...

infantrycak
10-29-2010, 05:50 PM

Pollard had 4 INTs.

2 against Indy - Link (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009110803/2009/REG9/texans@colts/analyze#tab:watch) and then the Wayne pass.
1 against the Seahawks - jumps route - Link (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009121303/2009/REG14/seahawks@texans#tab:watch)
1 against the Pats - just jumped a slightly under thrown ball after Mario pressured Brady

BullNation4Life
10-29-2010, 06:00 PM
Pollard had 4 INTs.

2 against Indy - Link (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009110803/2009/REG9/texans@colts/analyze#tab:watch) and then the Wayne pass.
1 against the Seahawks - jumps route - Link (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009121303/2009/REG14/seahawks@texans#tab:watch)
1 against the Pats - just jumped a slightly under thrown ball after Mario pressured Brady

Thanks for the correction, and making me throw up in my mouth watching Kris Brown's Shankapottomus ass in Indy....:choke:

infantrycak
10-29-2010, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the correction, and making me throw up in my mouth watching Kris Brown's Shankapottomus ass in Indy....:choke:

Well that wasn't the point. Hope you had something good to eat for lunch. Sushi sucks on the reverb.

thunderkyss
10-29-2010, 06:55 PM

Silly me. I thought you were talking about Pollard the Strong Safety.

thunderkyss
10-29-2010, 06:58 PM

Was that the one he was running across the field and plucked the ball out of the air? I thought that was against Peyton, but I could be wrong.

I also don't remember a lot of tipped balls. This is the Texans we're talking about. Not a lot of tipped balls when we are on defense.

Rey
10-29-2010, 10:11 PM
Was that the one he was running across the field and plucked the ball out of the air? I thought that was against Peyton, but I could be wrong.

I also don't remember a lot of tipped balls. This is the Texans we're talking about. Not a lot of tipped balls when we are on defense.

The one I'm talking about was kind of a jump ball...I think it was to Moss...

Maybe not a jump ball as much as a long lob type pass...Anyways, it was a bit under thrown like Cak said above...

76Texan
10-30-2010, 08:11 AM
Right, and like I said most SS are not good coverage guys. I think KYSS made a very valid point by saying Pollard is trying to cover others mistakes thus making Pollard look like he is the mistake.

As a die hard fan, who makes his family go to church on Saturday so he is not late for the game on Sunday, I am just tired of the talk and want to see the results and I don't think that is asking too much...

Pollard is lacking in coverage (both in his assignments and in help situations) from time to time since last year. That is my stance!

For a safety in the box, Pollard also had a pretty poor game against the Chiefs.

76Texan
10-30-2010, 08:31 AM

I think the INT off Wayne's pass was more legit of the two against Indy.
We were playing zone and as the CB passed off the receiver, Pollard made a good read (HB's pass - thanks to the Chris Brown's experience, I guess) and jumped the route in front of the receiver on the side line.

The other one, Pollard cheated up toward the middle to play the run.
He then stayed in front of the slot receiver who ran a salnt-in.
The RB happened to run a post route deeper.
Pollard happened to be in the passing lane and got himself a nice pick.
It was a good play on Pollard's part, but Manning (IMHO) was anticipating that Pollard would drop back deep to help Reeves on the otther side.

76Texan
10-30-2010, 08:52 AM
On the INT against the Seahawks, Pollard cheated up the box again to play the run.
He did the right thing by following the FB who went up the middle (faked run) then veered out to the outside (easy read, really).

It was a good jump by Pollard, but Hasselbeck's pass was late and behind the FB, making it an easy pick. (Watch how the FB had to turn completely around trying to make the catch.)
An "on-time" pass, IMHO, would be in front of the receiver in this case (toward the side line) with no chance of an INT.

From my eyes, the INT against Brady was affected by Mario's jumping on the QB.
In an attempt to throw the ball, Brady let it fly too high.
Another fraction of a second and that would have been a completion as the receiver had beaten McCain's jam near the LOS to gain inside position.

Pollard followed his assignment well on this play and was rewarded with a timely INT.

infantrycak
10-30-2010, 08:59 AM
The one I'm talking about was kind of a jump ball...I think it was to Moss...

Maybe not a jump ball as much as a long lob type pass...Anyways, it was a bit under thrown like Cak said above...

Yup - Pollard had over the top coverage. Brady was about to be laid out (this was his last play of the game I think) so didn't step into his throw and hung the ball. But for Pollard it is probably a reception still but Pollard came downhill and jumped it. Mario and Pollard both get credit. But for Mario, Brady probably puts less air under the ball and Pollard can't get there in time.