PDA

View Full Version : Some numbers that argue our defensive woes are on the coaches and schemes

gtexan02
10-28-2010, 01:57 PM
How many times have we seen guys with talent come here, play well for a short while, and then fade into obscurity?

Remember Fred Bennett? He was touted as the rookie to watch after his initial campaign. His initial numbers were lockdown corner material. What happened to him?

Remmeber how well Jacques Reeves did his first year here? And where is he now?

Will Demps was a probowl alternate his first year with us. And now?

And now we've got Pollard, who was an absolute monster last year, but seems to have lost all coverage ability.

Is it the players? Or is it the coaches?

Previously, none of our castoffs have really had an opportunity to rediscover their career elsewhere. Theyve always played so badly in a Texans uniform that no one else even wants to take a chance on them.

But Dunta Robinson got that opportunity. Here is some food for thought:

The Falcons' secondary is also one of the beneficiaries of the veteran turnaround. Dunta Robinson has always sported a reputation as a dominant cornerback -- but his metrics never actually backed up that assessment. A perfect illustration of this reputation/performance dissonance came in 2009, when Robinson's 8.4 YPA was the highest of the three regular cornerbacks on the Houston Texans' roster.

There are many ways to illustrate Robinson's improvement this season. The first of these is his 6.1 YPA when facing a wide receiver. To put that into perspective, consider that the rule of thumb for superior performance in this area is a 7.0 YPA mark or lower.

Robinson has also shown dramatic improvement on vertical passes (vertical being defined as aerials thrown 11 or more yards downfield). His 10.4 YPA total in this category last season ranked 68th in the league, but this year he has cut that down to a 7.1 YPA total.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/columns/story?columnist=joyner_kc&id=5733304

BigBull17
10-28-2010, 02:52 PM
I think Dunta was a combo of poor coaching, recovering from a bad injury and a little bit of dogging it. He didn't want to be here.

DexmanC
10-28-2010, 03:23 PM
I think Dunta was a combo of poor coaching, recovering from a bad injury and a little bit of dogging it. He didn't want to be here.

In addition to the Falcons' front-seven playing much better than that
of the Texans, however, that reason may fall under coaching as well.

CloakNNNdagger
10-28-2010, 03:26 PM
Don't forget Babin.

DexmanC
10-28-2010, 03:31 PM
Don't forget Babin.

Don't remind me how badly this defense is coached. Babin's looking
ALL-WORLD.

CloakNNNdagger
10-28-2010, 03:41 PM
Don't remind me how badly this defense is coached. Babin's looking
ALL-WORLD.

You might also find it quite telling to see PBurnt's stats (http://www.nfl.com/players/phillipbuchanon/profile?id=BUC267107) both before and after the Texans stint. (you've got to overlook the year with the lowly Lions.)
These stats even surprised me!

nero THE zero
10-28-2010, 03:45 PM
Your argument could be spun pro-scheme/coaching just as easily; i.e. They bring in players and coach them up and they overachieve until the their warts show and the league gets film on them. Then they're cut and never heard from again.

I do think scheme is the appropriate villian here though in that it's a combination of (1) the coaches looking for the wrong types of players (i.e. young secondary, small DT's) and (2) not devising an effective game plan.

Our defense is just bad. Period. There's pretty much no justification for keeping our defensive coaching staff next season.

GuerillaBlack
10-28-2010, 03:56 PM
Don't forget Babin.

Aren't the Titans Babin's fifth team? Dude is above 30, too.

wagonhed
10-28-2010, 03:57 PM
Your argument could be spun pro-scheme/coaching just as easily; i.e. They bring in players and coach them up and they overachieve until the their warts show and the league gets film on them. Then they're cut and never heard from again.
What? This doesn't make sense.

Double Barrel
10-28-2010, 04:22 PM
You might also find it quite telling to see PBurnt's stats (http://www.nfl.com/players/phillipbuchanon/profile?id=BUC267107) both before and after the Texans stint. (you've got to overlook the year with the lowly Lions.)
These stats even surprised me!

He looked like a different player when I saw him this year against Indy.