PDA

View Full Version : Cushing at the Mike

Brando
10-25-2010, 12:08 PM
per Kubes post practice comments.

link (http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/Kubiak-live-post-practice/0fcc16cf-e6f1-4bd5-ac2e-09c1d92691e6#?id=0fcc16cf-e6f1-4bd5-ac2e-09c1d92691e6)

Section516
10-25-2010, 12:12 PM
:hmmm:

Brando
10-25-2010, 12:15 PM
Coach Kubiak names Brian Cushing the Texans' new starting middle linebacker in place of injured LB DeMeco Ryans - cites his leadership.

from the Houston Texans Official Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/HoustonTexans

The Pencil Neck
10-25-2010, 12:16 PM
per Kubes post practice comments.

link (http://www.houstontexans.com/tv-media/videos/Kubiak-live-post-practice/0fcc16cf-e6f1-4bd5-ac2e-09c1d92691e6#?id=0fcc16cf-e6f1-4bd5-ac2e-09c1d92691e6)

I like that. I think that's a good choice. Cush is the LB that's best in coverage and going to be on the field for every down. He'll be the best one of our guys for chasing down plays sideline to sideline.

We can mix and match the guys around him based on situations.

gtexan02
10-25-2010, 12:19 PM
Risky.

Now we've lost Ryans at MLB AND Cushing at OLB. Both were probowlers at those spots.

HJam72
10-25-2010, 12:19 PM
Cush is so good he can play 2 positions at once.

HTown2ATX
10-25-2010, 12:20 PM
Just got the SR610 text...

We'll see. Any change on D can only be a good thing anyway IMO.

El Tejano
It keeps us with having some form of depth. Bentley backs up Cushing, Diles stays where he is and is most likely backed up by Sharpton, and Adibi moves over to Cushing's spot.

How is Adibi when it comes to blitzing?

drewmar74
I like that. I think that's a good choice. Cush is the LB that's best in coverage and going to be on the field for every down. He'll be the best one of our guys for chasing down plays sideline to sideline.

We can mix and match the guys around him based on situations.

Agreed.

GT, I can see where you're coming from. Maybe put Bentley (who is pretty beefy, IIRC) at the SAM and leave Diles at the WILL?

El Tejano
10-25-2010, 12:21 PM
Plus, now teams wont know how to effectively takeaway Cushing?

Section516
10-25-2010, 12:23 PM
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll81/mydral1/21h0jCmQWEL_SL500_AA300_.jpg

That's the only way the Colts could attempt to stop the Cush on MNF

gtexan02
10-25-2010, 12:24 PM
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll81/mydral1/21h0jCmQWEL_SL500_AA300_.jpg

That's the only way the Colts could attempt to stop the Cush on MNF

What is that?

El Tejano
10-25-2010, 12:26 PM
What is that?

A urine analysis cup.

Brando
10-25-2010, 12:27 PM
Kevin Bentley will play strongside linebacker

link (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7262707.html)

Mr teX
10-25-2010, 12:31 PM
I thought this was a posibility, especially without them making any major moves at the trading deadline.

TimeKiller
10-25-2010, 12:31 PM
I think it's the only real choice. What you really thought they were going to let Diles assume the position? Getcha popkeeerrrnn ready for next year when Demeco wants his spot back.

Section516
10-25-2010, 12:46 PM
I got kinda a broad NFL question..

Did the Texans have to release what they were doing? Could they of closed off the media, told the team to be quiet, practice in the dome, and come out with Cush lined up at Mike and the colts having to on-the-spot game plan for it?

False Start
10-25-2010, 12:49 PM
I think this just might work. :cool:

Mr teX
10-25-2010, 12:49 PM
The signing of new player contracts going across the waiver wire desk & team "insiders" from the press like john McClain would've blew the secrecy off any of that after attending a practice.

BullNation4Life
10-25-2010, 01:01 PM
I had a feeling they would do this move. It makes sense. Adibi filled in nice while Cush was out so why not let Cush play MLB for the year and let Adibi, Bentley and Diles work out the OLB spots.

Also this could only be for this game since the Texans will be in Nickle most if not all the time against the Colts. So Diles stays where he is and CUshing moves over to fill in for Meco...

Cush is a baller and can manage...

Maddict5
10-25-2010, 01:06 PM
this made sense... until they named bentley SAM LB

El Tejano
10-25-2010, 01:10 PM
How does Bentley do at blitzing. I recall he had a pretty good game vs. Ravens two years ago.

No More 8-8's
10-25-2010, 01:15 PM
I love this.....only because it directly contradicts something John McClain said in one of his fireside chats. Someone asked him if the Texans would move Cush to Mike, and John McClain said no way, the Texans like where Cush is at now.

Hervoyel
10-25-2010, 01:17 PM
Risky.

Now we've lost Ryans at MLB AND Cushing at OLB. Both were probowlers at those spots.

Yes but we've just lived 4 weeks without Cushing. We're more "adjusted" to not having Cushing than not having Ryans. In short Cushing is till "gone" but his replacements have weeks of game experience but the better news is we got a fantastic replacement for DeMeco.

I like it.

Blake
10-25-2010, 01:25 PM
I love this.....only because it directly contradicts something John McClain said in one of his fireside chats. Someone asked him if the Texans would move Cush to Mike, and John McClain said no way, the Texans like where Cush is at now.

lol I love it when he looks the fool. And he does that quite often. He is as disconnected from the Texans org as you and I.

DexmanC
10-25-2010, 01:53 PM
lol I love it when he looks the fool. And he does that quite often. He is as disconnected from the Texans org as you and I.

Kubiak is openly annoyed every time he fields a question from McClain.

DexmanC
10-25-2010, 01:55 PM
Yes but we've just lived 4 weeks without Cushing. We're more "adjusted" to not having Cushing than not having Ryans. In short Cushing is till "gone" but his replacements have weeks of game experience but the better news is we got a fantastic replacement for DeMeco.

I like it.

Cushing seems much better at reading the offense than Diles or any other
linebacker not named Demeco. It makes too much sense to put him
at MIKE.

HOU-TEX
10-25-2010, 01:55 PM
This might get ugly...err...uglier

TEXANS84
10-25-2010, 01:56 PM
I like it.
Cushing does perform and act like a leader even though he's in his 2nd year on the team. Diles was terrible at the Mike, he needs to stay where he was at. Bentley I'm a little concerned about, can't believe we aren't even giving Sharpton a chance.

It's Cushings defense now...hopefully he can handle it.

DexmanC
10-25-2010, 01:58 PM
I like it.
Cushing does perform and act like a leader even though he's in his 2nd year on the team. Diles was terrible at the Mike, he needs to stay where he was at. Bentley I'm a little concerned about, can't believe we aren't even giving Sharpton a chance.

It's Cushings defense now...hopefully he can handle it.

I believe Bentley's in there to stop the run. This front-seven
has had trouble stopping the run without Corner/Safety help, but
if the Safeties/Corners commit too much to the run, Touchdown
Colts.

El Tejano
10-25-2010, 02:00 PM
I wonder if they just tested them out and Cushing had alot more knowledge of the defense or something. Just wondering if it came down to that too.

Ryan
10-25-2010, 02:33 PM
Will we be able to stop any TEs this way?

IDEXAN
10-25-2010, 02:47 PM
Before his injury, DeMeco and Cushing were the 2 backers to remain on the field in nickel situations so it's probably most logical for Cushing to be the one to call the signals with DeMeco out but I don't see why its necessary to move Cushing even though it's somewhat unusaul for a backer besides the MIK making the Defensive calls ? They could have left 2 positions unchanged, now its going to mean changing 2 postions. And besides it's thought that playing Cushing at SAM over the TE maximized his skill set/strengths.

Big Lou
10-25-2010, 02:47 PM

The way to shut down the oppossing teams TE is IR......

Blake
10-25-2010, 02:49 PM

Couldnt get any worse.

:gun:

gtexan02
10-25-2010, 03:02 PM
Couldnt get any worse.

Famous last words

gtexan02
10-25-2010, 03:04 PM
The problem I have with this is that Cushing's strengths have been the following:

1. Playing close to the line and making plays on the ball at or behind the line of scrimmage
2. Blitzing off the edge
3. Dropping into a shallow zone, reading the play, and blitzing late
4. Zone coverage of TEs and HB/FB in the flats

Is this position change going to change his availability for those types of plays?

Im worried we're going to end up forcing Cushing to play into a "role" rather than letting him be the "play first" "instict" kinda guy.

silvrhand
10-25-2010, 03:09 PM
The problem I have with this is that Cushing's strengths have been the following:

1. Playing close to the line and making plays on the ball at or behind the line of scrimmage
2. Blitzing off the edge

Is this position change going to change his availability for those types of plays?

Im worried we're going to end up forcing Cushing to play into a "role" rather than letting him be the "play first" "instict" kinda guy.

it's not like he's having another breakout season anyways, it can't hurt at this point..

ChampionTexan
10-25-2010, 03:18 PM
Couldnt get any worse.

Famous last words

I know people are just kind of throwing this out there without much thought given that we're last in so many defensive categories and all, but given the fact that we're two games above .500 because of an overtime win after being down by 17 points in one game, and because of a last possession TD to pull out a four point win in another, it's a monumentally stupid statement. One fewer defensive play in each of those games would have made things a whole lot worse.

Seems like all the folks saying it couldn't get any worse in one thread are out there in other threads saying it's gonna get a whole lot worse.

MojoX
10-25-2010, 03:20 PM
With Cushing's ability to play sideline to sideline, this could work out well. He can hold up against blockers and now he is in even better position to make plays on the ball no matter what direction the play flows. If I remember correctly, Cushing has experience playing middle linebacker from his USC days. So this won't be a totally foreign experience for him.

Spled
10-25-2010, 03:26 PM
Let the beast roam as much of the jungle as possible.

Texans_Chick
10-25-2010, 03:40 PM
This move makes a ton of sense. He played some mike at USC. Leader and tackle machine. Harder for teams to scheme around.

SheTexan
10-25-2010, 04:32 PM
I got kinda a broad NFL question..

Did the Texans have to release what they were doing? Could they of closed off the media, told the team to be quiet, practice in the dome, and come out with Cush lined up at Mike and the colts having to on-the-spot game plan for it?

Every team we have played this year knows our playbook better than old Kubes himself. He lays everything out, no secrets, no surprises, a complete open book as to what we do.. The Cowboys and Giants creamed us because they knew how to anticipate every damn thing we did. SOOOO, IMHO it really doesn't matter if they HAD to tell or not, Kubes gameplan is an open book!!! A high school coach could gameplan against us!

Goldensilence
10-25-2010, 04:44 PM
Risky mover IMO. I liked having cushing's speed outside.

I just hope Bentley has better wheels than Diles outside or we can get Adibi healthy.

Cush def has the size and speed you like at mike. Could set the stage for Ryans to move outside permanently giving the corps better speed outside overall.

Really would like to see more of Sharpton.

Maddict5
10-25-2010, 05:04 PM
Every team we have played this year knows our playbook better than old Kubes himself. He lays everything out, no secrets, no surprises, a complete open book as to what we do.. The Cowboys and Giants creamed us because they knew how to anticipate every damn thing we did. SOOOO, IMHO it really doesn't matter if they HAD to tell or not, Kubes gameplan is an open book!!! A high school coach could gameplan against us!

:rolleyes:

we're 4-2.

we passed for 500 yds v the skins

we rushed for 220+ yds v oakland & colts

we scored 21 4th q pts v the chiefs

real predictable. they knew our playbook alright.

pbat488
10-25-2010, 05:05 PM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSJudLdTWShK4ON2Jy-FKEwWHn4OYus96ISxERway6uonyoDI0&t=1&usg=__2qj_JfdADzEBYUqqqr4odKdUXDE=

This mike?

drs23
10-25-2010, 05:07 PM
Risky mover IMO. I liked having cushing's speed outside.

I just hope Bentley has better wheels than Diles outside or we can get Adibi healthy.

Cush def has the size and speed you like at mike. Could set the stage for Ryans to move outside permanently giving the corps better speed outside overall.

Really would like to see more of Sharpton.

Myself as well. Is his injury *that* bad or Kubes just can't trust the rookie yet. He looked really good in PS, I thought.

RagingBull
10-25-2010, 05:10 PM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSJudLdTWShK4ON2Jy-FKEwWHn4OYus96ISxERway6uonyoDI0&t=1&usg=__2qj_JfdADzEBYUqqqr4odKdUXDE=

This mike?

That's a Mic:kubepalm:

House of Pain
10-25-2010, 05:11 PM

Kubes knew to cut Kris Brown before he shanked another FG :dance3:

False Start
10-25-2010, 05:13 PM

This mike?

:heh:

thunderkyss
10-25-2010, 05:19 PM
Cushing seems much better at reading the offense than Diles or any other
linebacker not named Demeco. It makes too much sense to put him
at MIKE.

It's hard to be a leader when you miss an assignment, whiff on a tackle, or basically have a hard enough time handling your own business.

Should be less of a problem with Cushing in the middle.

Besides, he's more a true Mike than Demeco is.

drs23
10-25-2010, 05:27 PM
It's hard to be a leader when you miss an assignment, whiff on a tackle, or basically have a hard enough time handling your own business.

Should be less of a problem with Cushing in the middle.

Besides, he's more a true Mike than Demeco is.

When Cush comes in and does just a more than fantastic job, does it make it difficult for Kubes to move him back to WILL?

Texanmike02
10-25-2010, 05:37 PM
I will gladly give my name up so he can become THE TexanMike.

The poster formerly known as Mike.

thunderkyss
10-25-2010, 05:44 PM
When Cush comes in and does just a more than fantastic job, does it make it difficult for Kubes to move him back to WILL?

Back to SAM?

I don't know. If I'm Kubiak, the last thing on my mind is making a seamless transition back to the way it was in the event Demeco comes back. Right now, is about right now. The way it should be.

drs23
10-25-2010, 06:20 PM
Back to SAM?
I don't know. If I'm Kubiak, the last thing on my mind is making a seamless transition back to the way it was in the event Demeco comes back. Right now, is about right now. The way it should be.

Yeah, that. :redface:
You're right, I guess we'll see what happens?

TheMatrix31
10-25-2010, 07:29 PM
Good move. I think Cushing will be fine in this position. Hopefully Bentley can fill the OLB fine.

SrslySirius
10-25-2010, 07:49 PM
This move makes a ton of sense. He played some mike at USC. Leader and tackle machine. Harder for teams to scheme around.

http://imgur.com/JAWM9.jpg

My thoughts exactly, ma'am. I am pleased that my idea is so well received.

edo783
10-25-2010, 08:12 PM
The shortest distance between two points is a straight line. (not going to acknowledge "Folded Space"). The shortest straight line to Manning is right up the middle. Just MIGHT work.

Nawzer
10-25-2010, 08:16 PM
http://imgur.com/JAWM9.jpg

My thoughts exactly, ma'am. I am pleased that my idea is so well received.

Footballs genius.

thunderkyss
10-25-2010, 08:17 PM
The shortest distance between two points is a straight line. (not going to acknowledge "Folded Space"). The shortest straight line to Manning is right up the middle. Just MIGHT work.

If we could cover long enough for a delayed blitz to hit home...... man!!

BullNation4Life
10-25-2010, 09:19 PM

No it just means you have one hell of a football player on your hands that can play all 3 LB positions. If you remember, Demeco was drafted to play Cushing's spot, however Sam Cowart got hurt and they had to move Ryans in the Middle and you know the rest, 2 Pro Bowls later, he is one of the best in the game.

To have 2 versatile LBs like that is very good for your team. Ryans will get his spot back next year, he isn't called "CAPTAIN" by his teammates for nothing...

awtysst
10-25-2010, 10:25 PM
No it just means you have one hell of a football player on your hands that can play all 3 LB positions. If you remember, Demeco was drafted to play Cushing's spot, however Sam Cowart got hurt and they had to move Ryans in the Middle and you know the rest, 2 Pro Bowls later, he is one of the best in the game.

To have 2 versatile LBs like that is very good for your team. Ryans will get his spot back next year, he isn't called "CAPTAIN" by his teammates for nothing...

I wonder if Cush plays really well, maybe he stays at the Mike and moves Demco to SAM? Cush is bigger and Stronger than Meco. With our poor DT play, we may need a bigger stronger Mike to handle the load?

thunderkyss
10-25-2010, 10:28 PM
I wonder if Cush plays really well, maybe he stays at the Mike and moves Demco to SAM? Cush is bigger and Stronger than Meco. With our poor DT play, we may need a bigger stronger Mike to handle the load?

He plays the pass better... that's the best reason I can think of to move him to the middle.

Brisco_County
10-25-2010, 10:37 PM

2. Blitzing off the edge

These are the best arguments against the move. Cushing can shed blocks from TE's and doesn't get trapped on running plays.

But overall, the move to MLB is the right one. I honestly think he'll be better in the middle than DeMeco. One of Cushing's greatest attributes --as much as his physicality-- is his football intelligence. When you look at his highlights, even in college, you can see that he knows how the play will develop. He doesn't follow the ball, he goes to where he knows it will be.

And I'd also like to see Sharpton get some reps at weak side.

ObsiWan
10-26-2010, 12:51 AM
soooo are you saying high school coaches are, by definition, stupid because they coach high school?

thegr8fan
10-26-2010, 07:48 AM
:choke: soooo are you saying high school coaches are, by definition, stupid because they coach high school? you didn't seriously extract that thought out of SheTexans comment did you? really? :choke:

nero THE zero
10-26-2010, 10:04 AM
I'm wondering if this move might signal some more Tampa-2.

From Matt Bowen on NFP (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Inside-the-playbook-the-Tampa-2.html):
http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c1910342/media_center/images/static/total_access/Tampa%202.png
Cover 2 is your classic 2-deep, 5-under defense with a four-man rush. But in the NFL today, the Tampa 2 essentially turns into a 3-deep, 4-under defense with the Mike (or middle linebacker) running with any inside vertical seam to create a 3-deep look that we would see in Cover 3.

A couple of keys to look at…

The Mike Backer is the key to this defense and the reason I highlighted his drop in red. He has to be able to run with that inside vertical throughout the route and only at the throw will he get safety help. Think of Chicago and Brian Urlacher — fast, athletic linebackers who can run. A necessity for this defense.

The corners must force an inside release by No. 1 or the safeties will have to widen off their landmarks (top of the numbers), which opens holes in the deep half. Plus, they have to sink deep enough to protect the safety on the 7-route that can hit the hole in the defense.

The Will and Sam Backers move their zones based on the eyes of the QB. This is key for the Will Backer, who can jump routes coming from the strong side based on the QBs read. Think of Derrick Brooks during his time in Tampa. He made a living intercepting underneath routes in the Tampa 2.

Is it beatable? Of course, and as we continue on we will examine some of the routes that are specifically designed to beat the Tampa 2.

Cushing, being our most athletic LB who's best in coverage, seems to be a natural fit and the reason this transition might be possible. LZ has said on numerous occasions that the scouts he talked to said Kareem Jackson seems to be best for a Tampa-2 system where his physicality can be best utilized and plays are kept in front of him. You'd think the same would hold true for Quin.

There are some problems with the personnel, too, though. First and foremost, our front 4 doesn't get the pressure you'd like for the Tampa-2. While it could be argued that they're built for it size-wise, they don't consistently get the penetration/pressure you'd like. By taking Cushing out of a pass rushing role you'd only do further detriment to the pass rush. Also, Pollard would be a liability due to his (lack of) coverage skills.

There was speculation amongst folks that we might be adding in some more 3-4 during the BYE, but I wonder if this move signals that we might move toward more Tampa-2 and bend-don't-break defense.

TimeKiller
10-26-2010, 12:43 PM
Watching Dunta go through an almost-career-ending-injury and the situation that followed I wonder if Demeco has taken any notes. Don't cry for big money here because all that will get you is a plane ticket outta town. Also, you gotta re-invent (to an extent) your game around what your physical limitations will allow. Dunta lost his speed so he developed the tactic of pass interfering haha....I think 'Meco needs to accept that the guys look up to him no matter where he stands before the play. Accept the WLB role, drop 10-15 lbs to ensure that you still have decent wheels and be the tackling machine that you were (except do it in place of Diles who seems to have lost his tackling ability).

"Oh TimeKiller, you stupid crazy madden kind of armchair headcoach, you forgot about the strongside!"

No I didn't. Connor Barwin. Ryans - Cush - Barwin. For passing downs you technically go 3-3 having Barwin as the 4th DL and drop out one of the wastes of space at DT.

---------Smith-Who even cares?-Mario-------
------------Barwin-Cushing-Ryans------------
----McCain-Quin-Jackson-1st round pick------

Did I mention the madden-ing I would do to this D? Yeah. Make fun of me because I would do something COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from the steaming, heaping pile of holy hell that gets left on the field after the games. Trade Pollard and move Quin/Jackson back to SS/FS. Then draft another 1st round CB except this time get a really, really fast one.

gtexan02
10-26-2010, 12:46 PM
I'm wondering if this move might signal some more Tampa-2.

From Matt Bowen on NFP (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Inside-the-playbook-the-Tampa-2.html):
http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c1910342/media_center/images/static/total_access/Tampa%202.png

Cushing, being our most athletic LB who's best in coverage, seems to be a natural fit and the reason this transition might be possible. LZ has said on numerous occasions that the scouts he talked to said Kareem Jackson seems to be best for a Tampa-2 system where his physicality can be best utilized and plays are kept in front of him. You'd think the same would hold true for Quin.

There are some problems with the personnel, too, though. First and foremost, our front 4 doesn't get the pressure you'd like for the Tampa-2. While it could be argued that they're built for it size-wise, they don't consistently get the penetration/pressure you'd like. By taking Cushing out of a pass rushing role you'd only do further detriment to the pass rush. Also, Pollard would be a liability due to his (lack of) coverage skills.

There was speculation amongst folks that we might be adding in some more 3-4 during the BYE, but I wonder if this move signals that we might move toward more Tampa-2 and bend-don't-break defense.

The scary thing about any of these zone schemes is that it puts our safties one on one with receivers on deep routes

disaacks3
10-26-2010, 12:52 PM
Watching Dunta go through an almost-career-ending-injury and the situation that followed I wonder if Demeco has taken any notes. Don't cry for big money here because all that will get you is a plane ticket outta town. Dear God please don't equate Dunta's skill at his position to DeMeco's. Dunta is no Pro-Bowler, or anywhere near the best at his position. There's a reason AJ got his $$

I can't wait to see Cushing at Mike - It's not like our pass defense could get any WORSE.

drewmar74
10-26-2010, 01:47 PM
I can't wait to see Cushing at Mike - It's not like our pass defense could get any WORSE.

And this is where I am with it.

Next Monday can't get here soon enough.

thunderkyss
10-26-2010, 01:57 PM
The scary thing about any of these zone schemes is that it puts our safties one on one with receivers on deep routes

The whole idea of a zone defense is to double team as many people as possible. There is no one-on-one with a safety. The LBs & CBs have the underneath part of the field, the Safeties have the over....... Everyone's facing the QB, which should allow for plays to be made. Int's, anticipation, & big hits.

The problem, is with offensive formations. If they have two WRs on one particular side, your coverage has to role to that side. Your off-side CB becomes your Will...... Your OLB would be matched up with a WR..... You may bring a Safety down to be your MLB, & a CB takes his spot at safety.... There are a hundred different ways you can alter your zone to counter different formations.

beerlover
10-26-2010, 01:59 PM
this will be a facinating match-up for sure. if anything it might give Texans the edge cause Peyton won't have an idea what to expect. Before he could just game plan accordingly with DeMeco in the middle & Cushing on the edge. I think Cushing is more of a downhill player, always pressing the lanes & line of scrimmage. DeMeco tends to read first then react & uses more angles to wrap up. The secondary must play better & give the time needed to get to Manning.

GuerillaBlack
10-26-2010, 02:52 PM
Watching Dunta go through an almost-career-ending-injury and the situation that followed I wonder if Demeco has taken any notes. Don't cry for big money here because all that will get you is a plane ticket outta town. Also, you gotta re-invent (to an extent) your game around what your physical limitations will allow. Dunta lost his speed so he developed the tactic of pass interfering haha....I think 'Meco needs to accept that the guys look up to him no matter where he stands before the play. Accept the WLB role, drop 10-15 lbs to ensure that you still have decent wheels and be the tackling machine that you were (except do it in place of Diles who seems to have lost his tackling ability).

"Oh TimeKiller, you stupid crazy madden kind of armchair headcoach, you forgot about the strongside!"

No I didn't. Connor Barwin. Ryans - Cush - Barwin. For passing downs you technically go 3-3 having Barwin as the 4th DL and drop out one of the wastes of space at DT.

---------Smith-Who even cares?-Mario-------
------------Barwin-Cushing-Ryans------------
----McCain-Quin-Jackson-1st round pick------

Did I mention the madden-ing I would do to this D? Yeah. Make fun of me because I would do something COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from the steaming, heaping pile of holy hell that gets left on the field after the games. Trade Pollard and move Quin/Jackson back to SS/FS. Then draft another 1st round CB except this time get a really, really fast one.

In hindsight, I would have liked the Texans to have traded a 2011 first round pick and Jacoby to the Raiders for Nnamdi. Then, draft Dez Bryant with the #20 pick in 2010. Dez Bryant is the real deal.

TimeKiller
10-26-2010, 03:06 PM
Dear God please don't equate Dunta's skill at his position to DeMeco's. Dunta is no Pro-Bowler, or anywhere near the best at his position. There's a reason AJ got his $$

Dunta may not = Demeco but neither does Demeco = AJ. I'm not saying anything about Dunta really, really I'm saying I hope Demeco took plenty of notice at how being mouthy and uncooperative can hurt a team/contract talks.

In hindsight, I would have liked the Texans to have traded a 2011 first round pick and Jacoby to the Raiders for Nnamdi. Then, draft Dez Bryant with the #20 pick in 2010. Dez Bryant is the real deal.

Yeah well...I'm just sick of 1st round picks getting wasted on this D. They should be loaded and they play like pansy college defenses.

ChampionTexan
10-26-2010, 04:23 PM
Watching Dunta go through an almost-career-ending-injury and the situation that followed I wonder if Demeco has taken any notes. Don't cry for big money here because all that will get you is a plane ticket outta town.

Dunta may not = Demeco but neither does Demeco = AJ. I'm not saying anything about Dunta really, really I'm saying I hope Demeco took plenty of notice at how being mouthy and uncooperative can hurt a team/contract talks.

WTF are you talking about - Demeco's current contract was signed this past offseason, and runs through the 2015 season. Why would there be any Dunta like issues from this?

TimeKiller
10-26-2010, 05:27 PM
He did?

It's been a long day hahaha...

Self facepalm.....

The1ApplePie
10-27-2010, 10:06 AM
Cush was a beast at USC when he played in place of Rey Rey. DeMeco has been getting murdered in the middle for the past few years thanks to horrible DTs, so more size and strength in the middle is a good thing.

silvrhand
10-27-2010, 10:24 AM
Cush was a beast at USC when he played in place of Rey Rey. DeMeco has been getting murdered in the middle for the past few years thanks to horrible DTs, so more size and strength in the middle is a good thing.

If you guys find any MLB that is going to take on interior offensive linemen and still be effective you have another thing coming. Arguably one of the best MLB in NFL history is currently playing the game, Ray Lewis, and if he gets tied up with the OL he's toast too.

You CAN NOT let linemen get a free release on your LB, this has always been the game since friggin high school..

thunderkyss
10-27-2010, 10:41 AM

We often say we have a deep, strong LB corps.... Others look at our LBs & say we have a great group of LBs. Demeco Ryans in particular has been voted to the pro bowl as a MLB.

& last year, most of this year, we've been shutting down the run.

The only time a MLB needs to worry about getting mauled by an OLman is in the run game. In pass pro, the OLman needs to be worried about the smaller, quicker LB.

In other words, I think your assessment of Demeco is a little off. He played in the backfield as often as any of our LBs last year.

Demeco's weakness, is his ability to run with receivers up the middle of the field, his ability to anticipate the pass, & his ability to read the QB (in the passing game).

Other than that, he's gold, money, the shizznit!!

silvrhand
10-27-2010, 10:44 AM
We often say we have a deep, strong LB corps.... Others look at our LBs & say we have a great group of LBs. Demeco Ryans in particular has been voted to the pro bowl as a MLB.

& last year, most of this year, we've been shutting down the run.

The only time a MLB needs to worry about getting mauled by an OLman is in the run game. In pass pro, the OLman needs to be worried about the smaller, quicker LB.

In other words, I think your assessment of Demeco is a little off. He played in the backfield as often as any of our LBs last year.

Demeco's weakness, is his ability to run with receivers up the middle of the field, his ability to anticipate the pass, & his ability to read the QB (in the passing game).

Other than that, he's gold, money, the shizznit!!

Thunder look closely at last year beyond the stats, there were maybe one/two games that we stopped the run. It was pretty much either we got blasted, or we got up big early and the other teams stopped trying to run.

DexmanC
10-27-2010, 11:29 AM
Thunder look closely at last year beyond the stats, there were maybe one/two games that we stopped the run. It was pretty much either we got blasted, or we got up big early and the other teams stopped trying to run.

We didn't stop the run on Monday Night Football vs. the Titans, nor
did we stop the run in the second Jacksonville game, where they handed
the ball off a million times in a row to ice the game, nor did we stop the run
late vs. the Colts, when Joseph Addai sealed a win for them.

Stop our division opponents from running when it matters. That's what I
wanna see.

GuerillaBlack
10-27-2010, 01:20 PM

Look at yards per attempt, where the Texans have been pretty good.

silvrhand
10-27-2010, 01:57 PM
Look at yards per attempt, where the Texans have been pretty good.

Sigh.. here we go with the stats again...

Jets: 42/190 4.5 yard average
Titans: 25/240 9.6 yard average *ROFL*
Jags: 32/185 5.8 yard average
Raiders: 21/45 2.1 yard average
Cardinals: 16/44 2.8 yard average
Bengals: 17/46 2.7 yard average
49'ers: 27/90 3.3 yard average
Bills: 20/97 4.9 yard average
Colts: 18/72 4.0 yard average
Titans: 42/228 5.4 yard average
Colts: 23/114 5.0 yard average
Jaguars 36/107 3.0 yard average
Seahawks: 24/62 2.6 yard average
Rams: 26/88 3.4 yard average
Dolphins: 16/60 3.8 yard average
Patriots: 19/74 3.9 yard average

Now somewhere near the end of the season we definitely got better at run support, but also our offense was really smoking, we went up big in the Miami/Seattle game, and the Patriots just never really ran the ball on us, I don't remember why.

And the raiders were a joke last year early on.. If you take those three games out of our average, we just to allowing an average of 4.7 yards per carry.. Hardly stellar defensive stopping power.. Now given that I do think we got better near the end of the year.

Rey
10-27-2010, 02:56 PM
The whole idea of a zone defense is to double team as many people as possible. There is no one-on-one with a safety. The LBs & CBs have the underneath part of the field, the Safeties have the over....... Everyone's facing the QB, which should allow for plays to be made. Int's, anticipation, & big hits.

That's not really true...

At some point most zone coverages become man. The problem with some of the Texans defenders seems to be that they don't understand that concept.

If the Texans safeties are sitting in that two deep zone coverage and a receiver runs straight up the field like on a 9 then that safety will have that receiver one on one. There is no one else that could possibly help. Sometimes, one defender will have to play two receivers and just put himself in the best position so that he can make a play if the ball is thrown to either one of them.

There isn't really an exact science to zone defense...It's really more about your players having a good feel for it...Knowing where the other defenders will be...

But a zone defense really isn't effective if you aren't getting pressure or if the offense is just finding the holes in it.

Rey
10-27-2010, 02:57 PM
But I love Cushing at the Mike...It'll be an upgrade IMO...

infantrycak
10-27-2010, 04:56 PM

Now somewhere near the end of the season we definitely got better at run support, but also our offense was really smoking, we went up big in the Miami/Seattle game, and the Patriots just never really ran the ball on us, I don't remember why.

And the raiders were a joke last year early on.. If you take those three games out of our average, we just to allowing an average of 4.7 yards per carry.. Hardly stellar defensive stopping power.. Now given that I do think we got better near the end of the year.

I guess so on the sigh. C'mon here are ones which you didn't bold which were bottom half of the league (with your originals included) - (16th was 4.1 ypc by the way):

silvrhand
10-27-2010, 05:42 PM
I guess so on the sigh. C'mon here are ones which you didn't bold which were bottom half of the league (with your originals included) - (16th was 4.1 ypc by the way):

? Now you confused me with my own stats?

- John

infantrycak
10-27-2010, 06:02 PM
? Now you confused me with my own stats?

- John

I italicized teams we held to less than top half ypc. I figure first step is getting top half. Then get top 5 to best. Certainly the yardage total was held back on some of the teams we faced last year by our being up but even when expecting them to pass we held the italicized ones to below league average rushing and they weren't all below average.

DexmanC
10-27-2010, 06:32 PM
I italicized teams we held to less than top half ypc. I figure first step is getting top half. Then get top 5 to best. Certainly the yardage total was held back on some of the teams we faced last year by our being up but even when expecting them to pass we held the italicized ones to below league average rushing and they weren't all below average.

The best indicator is stopping the run, in the fourth quarter, from getting
that final 1st down to ice the game.
During that stretch of games from the 1st Colts game, to the 2nd Jag's
game, that just didn't happen.

Look beyond the numbers.

infantrycak
10-27-2010, 08:51 PM

Look beyond the numbers.

No what I am going to look beyond is you finding new ways to be negative. First one complaint - oops they fixed it. Then a second - oops fixed that. Gotta come up with another one. I'm not asking for or expecting koolaid for you or myself. You eschew looking at last season and saying kicking kept us out of the playoffs. Well Goldilocks I'm not playing this under specific, over specific, only my criticism is just right game with you.

JB
10-27-2010, 08:57 PM
No what I am going to look beyond is you finding new ways to be negative. First one complaint - oops they fixed it. Then a second - oops fixed that. Gotta come up with another one. I'm not asking for or expecting koolaid for you or myself. You eschew looking at last season and saying kicking kept us out of the playoffs. Well Goldilocks I'm not playing this under specific, over specific, only my criticism is just right game with you.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

thunderkyss
10-27-2010, 10:18 PM

I am looking way beyond the stats. Go back & watch those three games through to the third Qtr.

Count how many times we stopped those runners in the backfield, no gains, 1 yards, 2 yards.

We kicked their ass.

We just couldn't maintain that for 4 Qtrs. It just got less & less as the year went on.

The stats again, don't tell the story. You've got 42 carries in one game, 25 in another, 32 in the third game. Jets, Titans, Jags...... running teams, that never abandon the run. We stopped them more times than not, but a few big runs skewed their average..... doesn't mean we weren't shutting it down, since they weren't sustaining drives with the run game.

Against the Jets, it was 3 big runs by Thomas Jones that turned that game. Chris Johnson was CJ2K, so yeah, that was actually pretty good.

& Jones Drew had a bad game, until they decided to run the clock out, & we couldn't stop them.

Our game against Indy Week 1, that's not being able to stop the run. KC against us week 7, that's not being able to stop the run.

That shit didn't happen to us last year.

thunderkyss
10-27-2010, 10:44 PM

Look beyond the numbers.
Well, it's not the best indicator. But, if we were good, we would be able to stop a team at the end of the 4th, to get the score we need.

From 11 minutes on in the first Colts game (of 2009), Addai didn't really do much. He had a big 12 yarder, and a 13 yarder he got on a 3rd & 16 draw.

As a matter of fact, the Colts last possession was off a Schaub INT. We forced a 3 & out........ Adai for 2 yard, false start Diem, Manning Sacked, Addai for 13, but he needed 16, punt.

The Titans... took the ball with 2:52 to go in that game.. drove down the field... we held them to a 53 yard field goal. They went up 20-17.
We got the ball with 44 seconds to go. With 6 seconds left, we attempted & missed a 49 yard field goal. Vince kneeled with 0:01 seconds left in the game. There was no icing of the clock by anyone in this game.

The last Indy game, I don't even need to look at the game book, we were trying to strip the ball from the Colts which allowed longer than normal runs.... But I'll give you that one, they iced the clock.

But I think you being wrong 2 out of three times (there was no icing in the first Indy game, there was no icing in the Titans game) pretty much shows you don't know what you're talking about.

Now, before you change the subject (which you always do to try to prove your point) address this.

WTH are you talking about?

GP
10-27-2010, 11:50 PM

Go eschew yourself. :boogie:

(Board members: That's how you tell off a moderator and live to talk about it)

A little levity makes the world go 'round. Damn, these bye weeks are rough...and then we don't even get to see the game Sunday, we gotta' wait all day Monday too. Sigh. Sux.

powerfuldragon
10-28-2010, 12:00 AM
the thread title made me think that 56 was dropping an album or something..

GuerillaBlack
10-28-2010, 12:14 AM
the thread title made me think that 56 was dropping an album or something..

Album name: Cush Chronicles

silvrhand
10-28-2010, 03:52 AM
I am looking way beyond the stats. Go back & watch those three games through to the third Qtr.

Count how many times we stopped those runners in the backfield, no gains, 1 yards, 2 yards.

We kicked their ass.

We just couldn't maintain that for 4 Qtrs. It just got less & less as the year went on.

The stats again, don't tell the story. You've got 42 carries in one game, 25 in another, 32 in the third game. Jets, Titans, Jags...... running teams, that never abandon the run. We stopped them more times than not, but a few big runs skewed their average..... doesn't mean we weren't shutting it down, since they weren't sustaining drives with the run game.

Against the Jets, it was 3 big runs by Thomas Jones that turned that game. Chris Johnson was CJ2K, so yeah, that was actually pretty good.

& Jones Drew had a bad game, until they decided to run the clock out, & we couldn't stop them.

Our game against Indy Week 1, that's not being able to stop the run. KC against us week 7, that's not being able to stop the run.

That shit didn't happen to us last year.

ROFL I love your thinking.. it was a big run so it doesn't count?

thunderkyss
10-28-2010, 07:08 AM
ROFL I love your thinking.. it was a big run so it doesn't count?

Didn't say it didn't count, said it skewed the averages, and doesn't tell the whole story.

76Texan
10-28-2010, 07:51 AM
That's not really true...

At some point most zone coverages become man. The problem with some of the Texans defenders seems to be that they don't understand that concept.

If the Texans safeties are sitting in that two deep zone coverage and a receiver runs straight up the field like on a 9 then that safety will have that receiver one on one. There is no one else that could possibly help. Sometimes, one defender will have to play two receivers and just put himself in the best position so that he can make a play if the ball is thrown to either one of them.

There isn't really an exact science to zone defense...It's really more about your players having a good feel for it...Knowing where the other defenders will be...

But a zone defense really isn't effective if you aren't getting pressure or if the offense is just finding the holes in it.As I see it, zone defense is an exact science; however, we don't have enough players that can think and adjust quickly as scientists:

1. If A+B+C then X,Y,Z,W
2. If A+B+D then X,Y,U,V
3. If A+C+D then X,Z,W,U,V

something like that.

Things happen quickly on the field.
If anything, IMO, it's the job of the coaches not to make things too complicated for certain players; ie. take away a variable or two so that those players can spend less time thinking and more time playing the game.

76Texan
10-28-2010, 07:58 AM
The problem, is with offensive formations. If they have two WRs on one particular side, your coverage has to role to that side. Your off-side CB becomes your Will...... Your OLB would be matched up with a WR..... You may bring a Safety down to be your MLB, & a CB takes his spot at safety.... There are a hundred different ways you can alter your zone to counter different formations.

Or you can bring a safety up to become a CB.
The uncovered CB then take the place of a safety.
This way, you can still have your normal 5-underneath, 2-deep coverage.
You can still drop your MLB to make it a 4-underneath, 3-deep coverage as usual.

HOU-TEX
10-28-2010, 08:56 AM
Man, some of y'all take "arm-chair quarterbackin" to another level. LOL. Go out and get some dirty leg or somethin.

JK fellas

76Texan
10-28-2010, 10:42 AM
Man, some of y'all take "arm-chair quarterbackin" to another level. LOL. Go out and get some dirty leg or somethin.

JK fellas

Let's just say... in sort of a way... I know where TexanBill was last summer!
:choke: