PDA

View Full Version : NFL Faces Off Against World Series

Kaiser Toro
10-21-2010, 10:04 AM
The World Series will receive added competition from the NFL this year. NBC's "Sunday Night Football" has traditionally taken a break during the first Sunday of the fall classic. But NBC and the NFL are going head to head Oct. 31.

Fox could be a big loser if viewers migrate to Pittsburgh-New Orleans on NBC that night instead of game four of the baseball championship games.

NBC's new NFL deal gives it one more Sunday game; it will air for 17 straight weeks. In the past, the network has used its off-week to air repeats of "Heroes," movies, "Dateline" and a repeat of "The Office."

In an interview with the NFL Network after this season's schedule was announced, commissioner Roger Goodell said it was appropriate to "allow the consumer to be able to choose whether they want to watch "Sunday Night Football" or the World Series."

While more conventional, Fox could also face a challenge from football this Sunday, if the National League Championship Series goes to game seven. NBC has Minnesota's Brett Favre returning to Green Bay.

NFL games have gone against the World Series before, although mostly with football on cable. Since 1991, nine regular-season NFL games have challenged the World Series. But only once -- in 1996 -- did the two face each other on broadcast TV.

http://www.mediapost.com/publications/?fa=Articles.showArticle&art_aid=138048&nid=119915

This is going to be a blow out.

eriadoc
10-21-2010, 10:42 AM
They should air the WS at a time more befitting its status in the heirarchy, like tape delay at 3AM or something.

Goatcheese
10-21-2010, 11:22 AM
They should air the WS at a time more befitting its status in the heirarchy, like tape delay at 3AM or something.

Baseball should be radio only.

And talking about the Yankees on ESPN should get you fired.

ThaShark316
10-21-2010, 11:31 AM
Baseball >>>>>>>>>>> Football if my teams aren't playing.

TexanSam
10-21-2010, 11:38 AM
Baseball >>>>>>>>>>> Football if my teams aren't playing.

I agree. If the Texans aren't playing and there's a WS game on, then I'm picking baseball easily.

Double Barrel
10-21-2010, 11:42 AM
The NFL wins easily. No way would I miss a Saints v. Steelers game for a mere baseball game, even if it is a WS.

Regular season football >>>>>>> WS every day of the week for me.

gtexan02
10-21-2010, 11:46 AM
Depends on who is pitching and whether the game could end the series for me.

Halladay vs Lee

Oswalt vs anyone

Lincecum vs Lee

all would be more interesting to me than a regular season nfl game, even if it is steelers vs saints.

All the nationally televised games so far seem to be 100% boring

steelbtexan
10-21-2010, 11:46 AM
Seems like it's time to do some channel flipping.

jaayteetx
10-21-2010, 11:51 AM
The NFL wins easily. No way would I miss a Saints v. Steelers game for a mere baseball game, even if it is a WS.

this^

El Tejano
10-21-2010, 11:58 AM
Only reason I'm watching is because a Texas team has a chance to beat the Yankees and win the whole thing. I got no beef with The Rangers.

Stemp
10-21-2010, 12:07 PM
Only reason I'm watching is because a Texas team has a chance to beat the Yankees and win the whole thing. I got no beef with The Rangers.

Don't really care about the Rangers but I despise the Yankees and all they stand for, so I hope the Rangers win. That said, I'll watch the WS if it's on and I need something to watch, but I'd rather watch an NFL game than the WS.

gtexan02
10-21-2010, 12:13 PM
Don't really care about the Rangers but I despise the Yankees and all they stand for, so I hope the Rangers win. That said, I'll watch the WS if it's on and I need something to watch, but I'd rather watch an NFL game than the WS.

What is it that the yankees stand for that you despise? Win at all costs?

GuerillaBlack
10-21-2010, 12:59 PM
I flip back and forth. I think I read somewhere that the Titans at Jags MNF game got higher ratings than the Rangers at Yankees on Monday.

Stemp
10-21-2010, 01:14 PM
What is it that the yankees stand for that you despise? Win at all costs?

Win at all costs, trying to buy championships, etc. The organization seems to have the attitude that they ARE baseball. They are the Dallas Cowboys of MLB, except worse.

Brando
10-21-2010, 01:15 PM

Yep!

Hookem Horns
10-21-2010, 01:39 PM
I will watch the Rangers if they make it in however not over any NFL game. Also if the WS has the Yankees I won't be watching at all.

GuerillaBlack
10-21-2010, 01:51 PM
I do agree with those that are saying regular season football >> baseball (even the WS). I'll check back and forth for score updates, but unless it's in the 8th or 9th inning and the game is close, I won't turn away from NFL. Football >> all other sports.

Grams
10-21-2010, 02:25 PM
As hard as it may be to believe but Yankee fans are far worse than Cowboys fans.

Any NFL regular season game is much, much better that baseball.

Baseball should be done and over with by the time football season starts.

GuerillaBlack
10-21-2010, 02:53 PM
Baseball is the sports filler that holds you over from the NBA Finals until the NFL starts up again.

gtexan02
10-21-2010, 02:59 PM
Win at all costs, trying to buy championships, etc. The organization seems to have the attitude that they ARE baseball. They are the Dallas Cowboys of MLB, except worse.

I wish we had an owner that was willing to spend a fraction of the money that the Yankees do.

Bulluck53
10-21-2010, 03:24 PM
I wish we had an owner that was willing to spend a fraction of the money that the Yankees do.

That would have to be a pretty small fraction since that owner would have a cap to consider.

GuerillaBlack
10-21-2010, 03:45 PM
That would have to be a pretty small fraction since that owner would have a cap to consider.

He's talking about the Astros, most likely. And if he is talking about the Astros, then he's right. If we had any hitting in 2005, the Astros would have won the World Series.

Dread-Head
10-21-2010, 03:48 PM
Football...not EVEN a question.

Stemp
10-21-2010, 04:10 PM

If we had a team that could have its own sports channel, it might be easier.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YES_Network

El Tejano
10-21-2010, 04:18 PM
Right now, an understanding of where everyone stands in the AFC South is way more important than who is winning in a baseball game. I also get this feeling that when The Rangers send NY home packing, ESPN will simply sweep it under the rug anyways.

Mr teX
10-21-2010, 04:22 PM
there's baseball still going on?

Thorn
10-21-2010, 05:14 PM
Yall should quit knocking baseball. Baseball on TV is just as good as golf or bowling to sleep to on weekend afternoons. :)

Bulluck53
10-21-2010, 07:51 PM
He's talking about the Astros, most likely. And if he is talking about the Astros, then he's right. If we had any hitting in 2005, the Astros would have won the World Series.

Oops, sorry. I come from a land where there is no baseball.