PDA

View Full Version : Texans FA Workout Thread

JWarren14
10-20-2010, 11:22 AM
I wanted to start one big thread since there will undoubtedly be a lot of players we continue to work out. Here is the latest which is really confusing to me, a lot of RBs some QBs and some TEs, mind boggling!

Although Houston Texans coach Gary Kubiak said the team would begin a lnebacker search after middle linebacker DeMeco Ryans was ruled out for the season with a torn Achilles' tendon, they didn't try out any linebackers on Tuesday.

The Texans worked out several running backs, though, including Javarris Williams, Alphonso Smith, Clifton Smith, Chris Jennings and Louis Rankin, according to a league source with knowledge of the situation.

They also worked out former Denver Broncos quarterback Tom Brandstater and former San Diego Chargers quarterback Jonathan Crompton as well as tight ends Rob Myers and Derek Schouman.

The Texans plan to work out some players today, including a defensive lineman.

Link (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-20101020_source_texans_work_out_several_players)

Last time I checked Foster was leading the league in rushing and Ward continues to make plays, are we going to cut Steve Slaton?

We invested a good amount in Dan-0 to be the back-up and Kubiak praised the other Matt earlier this week.

TEs, we have another thread about Open Daniels and we all know Dressen is reliable, this one really confuses me.

silvrhand
10-20-2010, 11:23 AM
This just makes 0 sense, on why they would waste their time looking at obvious areas that we don't need help in.

RB/QB/TE has to be our strongest position right now..

Errant Hothy
10-20-2010, 11:28 AM
I'm thinking this is more about special teams then spots on the offense.

nero THE zero
10-20-2010, 11:34 AM
This just makes 0 sense, on why they would waste their time looking at obvious areas that we don't need help in.

RB/QB/TE has to be our strongest position right now..

Aren't you the same person that asked this question last week and was told by several people that this is something every team does and it does not speak to intentions or needs but rather is a product of pro-personnel scouting?

El Tejano
10-20-2010, 11:35 AM
I'm thinking this is more about special teams then spots on the offense.

Exactly. With the loss of Demeco, a guy like K. Bentley or D. Sharpton have to move up from ST to play and therefor that leaves a void on the ST unit.

JWarren14
10-20-2010, 11:38 AM
I get that we need extra bodies on Special Teams to take those duties away from an already banged up LB corp, but I would rather have more LBs on ST rather than say a TE, and I would rather have more FS/S/CBs on ST rather than RBs. We need bodies on Special Teams that may also help compete to better our defense.

BigBull17
10-20-2010, 11:40 AM
Anybody that gets Steve "Slow Down" Slaton off of Kick Return is a big help to our team.

Goldensilence
10-20-2010, 11:42 AM
Anybody that gets Steve "Slow Down" Slaton off of Kick Return is a big help to our team.

Damn, I just really think Holliday could've made a huge impact in this part of our game.

Too bad he's on IR.

IMO I'd start looking at a speedster like McCain to get reps there.

silvrhand
10-20-2010, 11:48 AM
Aren't you the same person that asked this question last week and was told by several people that this is something every team does and it does not speak to intentions or needs but rather is a product of pro-personnel scouting?

And again I would say this is a complete waste of time for us to be scouting QB/TE/RB rigiht now, if they brought in DL/DB/LB's I'd be like ok that makes sense..

BigBull17
10-20-2010, 11:50 AM
Damn, I just really think Holliday could've made a huge impact in this part of our game.

Too bad he's on IR.

IMO I'd start looking at a speedster like McCain to get reps there.

Id put Leech back there. He has been better than Slaton. Or McManis, who has returned kicks in college.

J_R
10-20-2010, 11:54 AM
I wanted to start one big thread since there will undoubtedly be a lot of players we continue to work out. Here is the latest which is really confusing to me, a lot of RBs some QBs and some TEs, mind boggling!

Link (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-20101020_source_texans_work_out_several_players)

Last time I checked Foster was leading the league in rushing and Ward continues to make plays, are we going to cut Steve Slaton?

We invested a good amount in Dan-0 to be the back-up and Kubiak praised the other Matt earlier this week.

TEs, we have another thread about Open Daniels and we all know Dressen is reliable, this one really confuses me.

Appears yesterday was the "offensive only" players workout. Today is the "defensive only" players workout or so says JM:kitten:

False Start
10-20-2010, 11:57 AM
Id put Leech back there. He has been better than Slaton. Or McManis, who has returned kicks in college.

Leach can just give the other teams players the stank eye, and they would just move out of the way. :cutthroat: :heh:

I agree, Slaton is just not cutting it for me either.

Wolf6151
10-20-2010, 12:07 PM
The Texans are just looking at players in general, always scouting what's out there. You never turn down an opportunity to get better on the field whether it be on offense or defense. They probably also realize that Leinart will be gone next year and that Orlavsky isn't getting any better so why not look at some QB's for the future. I liked Tom Brandstater when he came out in the draft and think that he's got the raw tools for someone to mold into a future playing QB.

honored82
10-20-2010, 12:35 PM
Why are we trying the positions the we don't need at all like QB and RB. Do these guys get paid to try out ?

JWarren14
10-20-2010, 03:31 PM
Today we worked out 3 DTs

Link (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7255859.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+houstonchronicle%2Ftopheadlin es+%28chron.com+-+Top+Stories%29)

After bringing in nine offensive players for tryouts on Tuesday, the Texans brought in three more today all defensive tackles.

Damione Lewis, Louis Leonard and Tank Tyler tried out Wednesday at the Methodist Training Center. None was signed.

The players have off this week because Sunday is their open date. They return to work Monday to prepare for their nationally televised game at Indianapolis on Nov. 1.

They will have two roster spots one for injured linebacker DeMeco Ryans and one for waived linebacker David Nixon.

El Tejano
10-20-2010, 03:45 PM
OK, now I'm curious why we didn't sign an LB.

Errant Hothy
10-20-2010, 03:46 PM

Maybe because they all looked like ass during their workouts?

drewmar74
10-20-2010, 03:53 PM
Maybe because they all looked like ass during their workouts?

That's where I'm putting my $$.

BIG TORO
10-20-2010, 04:08 PM

Im more curious two know why we don't start to prepare for the colts this week. Our D needs all the practice it can handle.

JB
10-20-2010, 04:09 PM
Im more curious two know why we don't start to prepare for the colts this week. Our D needs all the practice it can handle.

Right now they need to get healthy more than anything.

leebigeztx
10-21-2010, 10:04 AM
Why no adelius thomas?

El Tejano
10-21-2010, 10:23 AM
Why no adelius thomas?

Maybe because he's an OLB?

Big Lou
10-21-2010, 10:24 AM
Why no adelius thomas?

Thomas could play the part of Barwin.

I don't know why they wouldn't kick the tires on him and Shawne Merriman if he clears waivers..........

leebigeztx
10-21-2010, 10:28 AM
Maybe because he's an OLB?

Thomas can play all 3 lb positions in any defense. He can play middle,strong,weak, and be a joker. The texans could play him in the middle or the strong and move cushing in the middle which is where i think he is bets anyway. In the pressure package, ad and cuching would be hard to handle because the offense wouldn't know who is coming through. There is a huge difference between a pass rusher rushing the qb and a guy like ryans or diles rushing the qb. Thomas can actaullu beat tackles for sack wheras the other guys have to be free blitzers.

ArlingtonTexan
10-21-2010, 11:39 AM
Why no adelius thomas?

Because he is 30whatever and hasn't been any good for 2 or 3 years. I have not seen him linked to any team since his release.