PDA

View Full Version : Don't Talk Back to Me!.......It's Time Out for You!.......NOW!!

CloakNNNdagger
10-19-2010, 12:28 PM
While all the emphasis now is on how proposed new rules are affecting the game, there seems to be a blind eye to how television has, and continues to find new ways, to affect the game. Message from networks to teams.......you can play your game as long as you play our's!

Jeff Fisher: ESPN asked coaches to take timeouts late on Monday nightPosted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 19, 2010 11:21 AM ET
One of the biggest reasons why a weak Monday Night Football game can out-rate game three of the ALCS in New York: Fantasy football.

While Cliff Lee was dealing, fantasy owners across the country were hoping to squeeze a few more points out of Chris Johnson and Maurice Jones-Drew. Johnson's owners prayers were answered when Johnson broke free for a 35-yard touchdown on fourth down with under two minutes remaining.

That led to some (silly) questions about why Johnson was still in the game. Why were the Titans still trying to score?

Titans coach Jeff Fisher indicated that it was largely ESPN's fault. The network still needed more television timeouts and apparently asked both coaching staffs to take timeouts late.

"Jack [Del Rio] used his timeouts," Fisher said after the game via Terry McCormick of Titans Insider. "My understanding is they needed network timeouts, and that's why Jack used his timeouts. They came over and asked me to do it, but I said, 'I was hoping to get a first down and kneel on it.'"

Of course, you can also thank Del Rio for actually listening. Fisher was happy to end the game at 23-3, but Del Rio didn't let him.

"It's the first time I've heard of it," Fisher said about a network request for timeouts. "I just said I would have a hard time using them, because I'm ahead. Honestly, I have no issues with Jack or how he managed the end of that game. It's just what it was, and I don't think he would have an issue with me handing the ball off." link (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/19/chris-johnsons-fantasy-owners-should-thank-espn-jack-del-rio/)

eriadoc
10-19-2010, 12:36 PM
Next step is for the bookies to find a way to exploit this for money.

gtexan02
10-19-2010, 12:41 PM
Last night one of the announcers actually made a comment regarding how happy fantasy owners would be or about coaches hopefully usnig MJD to his fantasy potential or something inane like that.

I love me some fantasy, but this is getting nauseating.

Last week I was at a bar watching a game and 3 dudes came in. None of them were football fans, all of them were fantasy fans. They cheered for random individuals, then left. It was weird

Hervoyel
10-19-2010, 12:47 PM
I despise fantasy football, won't play it, and think it's hurt the real game.

GlassHalfFull
10-19-2010, 01:38 PM
Last night one of the announcers actually made a comment regarding how happy fantasy owners would be or about coaches hopefully usnig MJD to his fantasy potential or something inane like that.

I love me some fantasy, but this is getting nauseating.

Last week I was at a bar watching a game and 3 dudes came in. None of them were football fans, all of them were fantasy fans. They cheered for random individuals, then left. It was weird

I hate it when my son plays fantasy football. I have to listen to the most inane stuff while watching games. I finally forbade him to talk at all.

Nawzer
10-19-2010, 07:42 PM
I had no idea that these things went on during games. The only concern coaches and refs should have is the game not tv commercials. I was under the imperssion that the ads were always pre-slotted and it was on "automatic" through out the game. There are way too many ads specially in the beginning of the game and its really annoying.

HJam72
10-19-2010, 07:47 PM
Ya know, Jeff could've been polite and took his time-outs right before the play-clock expired. Jerk. Can't even help out the Networks and fantasy football people by taking timeouts and throwing up some Hail-Mary's. :)

Ranger Tom
10-20-2010, 08:47 AM
I too refuse to play fantasy football. I don't ever want to feel good because Pierre Garcon (for example) just burned my Texans for a touchdown.