PDA

View Full Version : Texans Trade Rumor Mill

Shaft75
10-19-2010, 01:16 PM
I'm tired of searching...

If anyone finds anything worthy, please post. I just hope we can put something together to improve our D. A blockbuster deal could make our season.

False Start
10-19-2010, 01:19 PM

If anyone finds anything worthy, please post. I just hope we can put something together to improve our D. A blockbuster deal could make our season.

I was gonna make the same type thread. :cool:

I just don't see the Texans making any significant move, hope I'm wrong though.

beerlover
10-19-2010, 01:21 PM
:cricket:

El Tejano
10-19-2010, 01:22 PM
"We are gonna go with the guys we got" Kubiak has stated that over and over. The sooner we realize that, the better.

BigBull17
10-19-2010, 01:25 PM
"We are gonna go with the guys we got" Kubiak has stated that over and over. The sooner we realize that, the better.

Well, if he does, and the season ends how I think it may, he can go with his guys to get his pink slip.

HTown2ATX
10-19-2010, 01:30 PM
We're gonna solve the secondary problems "in house" :rolleyes:

Thanks Kubes....... :wadepalm:

Norg
10-19-2010, 01:34 PM
When do we ever make blockbuster trades LOL lock this thread :P

jshabang
10-19-2010, 01:34 PM
Well, if he does, and the season ends how I think it may, he can go with his guys to get his pink slip.

exactly....he can yell that to the mountain tops and be stubborn about his swiss cheese defense all he wants........he dont fix this defense he will be back to his old job offensive coordinator in no time

Malloy
10-19-2010, 01:36 PM

Just found a cold homebrewed extra hoppy IPA in the back iof the fridge, cheers! :)

Oh, you mean football!

CloakNNNdagger
10-19-2010, 01:40 PM
We're gonna solve the secondary problems "in house" :rolleyes:

Thanks Kubes....... :wadepalm:

My, my.......so many choices........so many choices.........:kitten:

Andrew6
10-19-2010, 01:52 PM
Just found a cold homebrewed extra hoppy IPA in the back iof the fridge, cheers! :)

Oh, you mean football!

not a huge IPA fan but congrats on the great find.

:wadepalm:

infantrycak
10-19-2010, 01:53 PM
When do we ever make blockbuster trades LOL lock this thread :P

People act like this is special to the Texans. Very few big trades are made in the NFL and most of those are when someone has made a pain in the butt out of themselves.

Wolf6151
10-19-2010, 01:58 PM

Totally agree, Kubiak & Co. can't leave soon enough for me.

BigBull17
10-19-2010, 02:00 PM
People act like this is special to the Texans. Very few big trades are made in the NFL and most of those are when someone has made a pain in the butt out of themselves.

I agree, but this is the year I think you can get a player, if you make a decent offer. When you are 4-2 and your defense ranks 33 out of 32 teams, yo have to do something. Doing nothing and pounding your chest saying "I'm sticking with my guys" isn't doing a whole lot.

Dutchrudder
10-19-2010, 02:00 PM

Oh, you mean football!

Bleh...

I just can't get into the hoppy tasting beers. IPAs and strong wheats just make me gag 95% of the time.

silvrhand
10-19-2010, 02:03 PM
Bleh...

I just can't get into the hoppy tasting beers. IPAs and strong wheats just make me gag 95% of the time.

it's like going outside and grabbing a giant pine tree branch and chewing on it.. WTF is up with all the hoppy beers these days.. I guess it's trendy?

MojoX
10-19-2010, 02:04 PM

Yeah, this is one of the dullest parts of the NFL. You can't count on major trades once the season starts. But I, like others, am hoping the Texans pull something off.

For the hopeful, Kubiak did say this:

(on if executing a trade is an option for finding a replacement for LB DeMeco Ryans) ďItís part of the conversation. I think we have to look at everything. We have to look at any possible availability we think that can help make us better and help our football team throughout the next 10 weeks. The deadline is tomorrow, but weíve got to look at everything so itís an ongoing process today.Ē
(on if he is open to trade draft picks to find a replacement of LB DeMeco Ryans) ďI canít speak for (GM) Rick (Smith) on that. I know both of us together will do anything to make our football team better. Weíre in a tough situation right now in losing a captain and a great football player. Weíve got to explore everything, but whatís going to end up being best for our team? I donít know. My biggest concern to this is the health of the other guys also. Not just (LB) DeMeco (Ryans) being out.Ē

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-3/Kubiak-on-linebacker-options-bye-week-plans/571c4391-59e7-40af-8063-c6b84b00c9c6

They aren't trying to trade for a CB, but they are looking for a LB. I also think that management is looking for safety help. Notice how every time he is asked about the secondary, Kubiak just says that he is gonna roll with the corners, "the guys on the outside," that he has. No word on the safeties, though.

The team is desperate for LB help, but they can't go all Minnesota for Herschel Walker to get it.

Corrosion
10-19-2010, 02:08 PM

I think the rules make it somewhat difficult to move players in a regular season - the way traded players affect the cap - but with this being an uncapped year , things could be quite different.

No More 8-8's
10-19-2010, 02:10 PM
Just was listening to Fantasy Sports radio on XM. They said usually this is very quiet but some running backs could get shipped around. Willis McGahee, DeAngelo Williams, and also Steve Slaton. They of course didnt mention sources. But thought i would share.

HOU-TEX
10-19-2010, 02:11 PM

Agreed, especially during the season. Plus, I reckon the prices go up on trades during the season.

VTexan
10-19-2010, 02:11 PM
I'm willing to bet Slaton goes. We won't get much in return but I will be rooting for the guy and I believe he will do well wherever he goes and actually gets a real opportunity. He has always been a misfit under the zone - blocking scheme and I think will thrive under a more of a man blocking scheme.

avb
10-19-2010, 02:13 PM
On my Sprint NFL mobile program on my phone it mentions Steve Slaton to the Redskins, but no rumors on what we get back in return.

MojoX
10-19-2010, 02:18 PM
... but with this being an uncapped year , things could be quite different.
Thing is that uncertainty about the return of the cap is looming over teams as the union and league may reach a deal putting the cap back in place next season. Then, if you took on too much money past this season, your team is screwed.

infantrycak
10-19-2010, 02:18 PM
I think the rules make it somewhat difficult to move players in a regular season - the way traded players affect the cap - but with this being an uncapped year , things could be quite different.

Sure it is easier this season but I was addressing this supposed MO of the Texans in not trading which would have to come from prior years. The last big trade I can recall off the top of my head was Portis for Bailey back after the 2003 season.

rockabilly
10-19-2010, 02:19 PM
On my Sprint NFL mobile program on my phone it mentions Steve Slaton to the Redskins, but no rumors on what we get back in return.

Rumor is Albert Haynesworth for Slaton and 2nd round pick. That trade would make a lot sense due to the Shannahan/Kubiak relationship and if Albert actually played his role, would make our CB's much better. I hate alberts personality...but he is a great football player.

Mario Okoye Hanesworth Smith <----That's a D line.

BigBull17
10-19-2010, 02:19 PM
Trade deadline is hard onmy output today. I keep looking at updates rather than work.

El Tejano
10-19-2010, 02:21 PM
Rumor is Albert Haynesworth for Slaton and 2nd round pick. That trade would make a lot sense due to the Shannahan/Kubiak relationship and if Albert actually played his role, would make our CB's much better. I hate alberts personality...but he is a great football player.

Mario Mitchell Hanesworth Smith <----That's a D line.

Fixed it for you.

No More 8-8's
10-19-2010, 02:21 PM
If thats the truth, that would be very interesting to say the least. But than again, this could all be rumors sent from the Aaron Schobel restuarant in Columbus.

HOU-TEX
10-19-2010, 02:23 PM
Rumor is Albert Haynesworth for Slaton and 2nd round pick. That trade would make a lot sense due to the Shannahan/Kubiak relationship and if Albert actually played his role, would make our CB's much better. I hate alberts personality...but he is a great football player when it's a contract year.

That's sound more fitting

Goldensilence
10-19-2010, 02:24 PM

I think most of the people in the thread who have a sense of history of the NFL know that there typically aren't many big in season trades.

I just think most people hope given the variables of a looming lockout, an uncapped year(heck even with last years cap the team is healthy in that department), currently 4-2, if they fail to make the playoffs it could mean the end for Kubiak, and two fairly primer players who could turn the defense around. I think we could get Nnamdi for a first and Haynesworth for a third. Considering that in the next draft we'd have a second, two players that solve need positions on the defense, and a solid offense. We'd be set for a run for a few years I think.

Really it makes sense to make a move here, but I doubt we see it happen. Projecting forward I just don't have a good feeling about our chances of making the playoffs. Reminds me of the

J_R
10-19-2010, 02:25 PM
Mike Florio of PFT has brought up Haynesworth a time or two. Most recently in an interview this morning though he says its only guessing/speculation on his part.

http://audio.weei.com/m/34787513/mike-florio-pro-football-talk.htm

(11:55-13:10 minute mark about Haynesworth if you are going to listen).

Automatic transcript from the site:

Allen -- and it turns and the F answer and -- we're talking to my -- next up millions in the -- popular Mike Florio from pro football talk about trade deadline today at 4 o'clock. Editing percolating Mike."

" I think the one to watch is the one that the Redskins denies going to happen which is Albert Haynesworth and I have a feeling. And it's just a feeling that something's going on and I think they wanted to see what happened last night with the Tennessee Titans who beat the jaguars thirty to three in Monday Night Football. If the titans. Would've lost an interior defensive -- to an ACL injury that I think the titans would have been more likely to say. Will give you a second round pick and for Albert day's -- I think the team the watched and I've got nothing to base this song but that hasn't stopped me before. The team to watch is the Houston Texas they need to beef up their pass rush there's a longstanding relationship between Texas coach Gary Kubiak. And Redskins coach Mike Shanahan. And also the Texans have a running back who could be pretty good that isnt playing much in that Steve Slaton the Redskins need help at running back I think there's a way to work something out and it's possible, That they've already kinda got something worked out but Shanahan wanted to wait to see what happened with the titans last night or whether to see whether the Titans stepped up and try to get involved even without an injury last night

Andrew6
10-19-2010, 02:44 PM

Please be Landry, please be Landry Amen!

VTexan
10-19-2010, 02:46 PM
a 2nd round for Haynesworth's contract and attitude is pretty steep.

Corrosion
10-19-2010, 02:48 PM

His contract was front loaded , the Skins already payed him the bonus $$$. Sure there is a good chunk left but you could likely get them to pay a portion of that contract for a player in a need position for them .... and getting rid of their headache.

Malloy
10-19-2010, 02:50 PM
it's like going outside and grabbing a giant pine tree branch and chewing on it.. WTF is up with all the hoppy beers these days.. I guess it's trendy?

Well this one's not so bitter, most of the hops came in in the last few minutes. Plenty of flavour, not alot of bitterness.

MojoX
10-19-2010, 02:51 PM

The biggest deal is his attitude. But since the Texans have this thing against nose tackles and want all four DL to pass rush, that should make Haynesworth happy... for a while. But, yeah, the team gives up a top pick to roll the dice with a headcase who hasn't been the same since the big check cleared the bank.

Malloy
10-19-2010, 02:52 PM

Holy crap, Haynesworth to... Houston...

Potentially a great player, but man what a sloth...

Andrew6
10-19-2010, 02:52 PM
Didn't Haynesworth have like a 100 million dollar contract?

BIG TORO
10-19-2010, 02:54 PM
Holy crap, Haynesworth to... Houston...

Potentially a great player, but man what a sloth...

Is this confirmed?

Holy atomic pile Batman!
http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=284508040714&id=f4817f96171fef4059401e7d38e910b6

Ryan
10-19-2010, 02:54 PM
i would crap my pants with excitement if we got Haynesworth. He can still play, he just needs a fresh start somewhere.

BigBull17
10-19-2010, 02:56 PM
You guys can't toy with me so much. Killing me.

infantrycak
10-19-2010, 02:56 PM

As corrosion mentions the remainder of his contract is very reasonable because the Redskins already paid the $21 mil bonus due this year. Here it is:

2010: $3.6 million, 2011: $5.4 million, 2012: $6.7 million (+ $500,000 workout bonus), 2013: $8.5 million (+ $20 million "discretionary signing bonus" + $500,000 roster bonus due 8/31 = Poison Pill Year), 2014: $10.3 million (+ $500,000 roster bonus due 8/31), 2015: $11.5 million (+ $500,000 roster bonus due 8/31), 2016: Free Agent[/quote]

I use remainder as in through 2012 as nobody expected the poison pill bonus to be exercised in 2013 when the contract was written.

Malloy
10-19-2010, 02:57 PM
Is this confirmed?

Holy atomic pile Batman!

no no, not that I know of, I'm just responding to the rumor!

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I found another IPA :)

Malloy
10-19-2010, 02:58 PM
For clarification, when is the trade deadline? (houston time, I'll figure it out then) :)

Brandon420tx
10-19-2010, 03:03 PM
Didn't Haynesworth have like a 100 million dollar contract?

I'm 98% certain that a team that traded for him will only have to pay his salary portion of the contract, which also means he's easier to cut once the salary becomes too much. I believe the redskins still have to fork over whatever bonus is still available. I'm not sure how the incentives work out after trading though (showing up for workouts, making probowls etc.)

ThaShark316
10-19-2010, 03:03 PM
For clarification, when is the trade deadline? (houston time, I'll figure it out then) :)

3 pm

Brandon420tx
10-19-2010, 03:04 PM
3 pm

So in 56 minutes?

TheCD
10-19-2010, 03:06 PM

3 pm Central Time. That gives us 55 more minutes of waiting...

Malloy
10-19-2010, 03:13 PM
48 minutes... I'll be drunk by then, just discovered the Whiskey :)

texansdrummer
10-19-2010, 03:17 PM
From LZ's twitter:

"Supposedly the Texans worked out former Kentucky RB Alphonso Smith which could mean they are interested in moving Steve Slaton via trade."

fiasco west
10-19-2010, 03:18 PM
I hope for Haynesworth, he'd get to say hello to Peyton Manning again. He'll be ready to play.

Too bad, even if Smith had the trade lined up and ready to go I don't see McNair signing off on it.

painekiller
10-19-2010, 03:21 PM
I'm 98% certain that a team that traded for him will only have to pay his salary portion of the contract, which also means he's easier to cut once the salary becomes too much. I believe the redskins still have to fork over whatever bonus is still available. I'm not sure how the incentives work out after trading though (showing up for workouts, making probowls etc.)

IIRC your assumption of the redskins owing Albert any money at all if traded is wrong, when a player is traded his contract goes with him, all bonus and and such go with the contract. All money already paid is lost by the team that paid it.

TEXANS84
39 minuites....

Stemp
Didn't Fatty McSlow injure Schaub with a cheap shot a couple of years ago?

Malloy
10-19-2010, 03:22 PM
So... trades have to be official, signed or reported to the NFL by 3pm, or some other wierd rule?

TEXANS84
10-19-2010, 03:22 PM

Yes, destroyed Schaub into the turf on his shoulder.

Hardcore Texan
10-19-2010, 03:23 PM
Bleh...

Same here.

Yep, I think you're right and I can't figure out why.

painekiller
10-19-2010, 03:23 PM
From LZ's twitter:

"Supposedly the Texans worked out former Kentucky RB Alphonso Smith which could mean they are interested in moving Steve Slaton via trade."

Slaton has slipped to #3 on the depth charts with Ward playing above my expectations, and Slaton's kick returns suck, he is providing very little value to the team and if they can get value back why not trade him.

infantrycak
10-19-2010, 03:26 PM
Yes, destroyed Schaub into the turf on his shoulder.

That was one of their DE's. Haynesworth concussed Schaub on a flagged pile driver play.

Shaft75
10-19-2010, 03:26 PM
Dude seriously let's get er done.

TEXANS84
10-19-2010, 03:27 PM
That was one of their DE's. Haynesworth concussed Schaub on a flagged pile driver play.

I thought Haynesworth drove Schaub to the turf here at Reliant causing the shoulder....

***EDIT***

Helmet to helmet hit on Sept 18th at Reliant, 2008

Shaft75
10-19-2010, 03:27 PM
Houston's restaurant industry is calling on McNair to get this Haynesworth deal done.

No More 8-8's
10-19-2010, 03:29 PM
Cant even find one article mentioning the Steve Slaton for Albert rumor......

HTown2ATX
10-19-2010, 03:30 PM
30 minutes

Stemp
10-19-2010, 03:31 PM

If it's a last minute deal, we might not find out till after the deadline.

Brandon420tx
10-19-2010, 03:32 PM
If it's a last minute deal, we might not find out till after the deadline.

This is why most trades don't happen. Because no one wants to be the first one to blink in the staring contest. Usually when it does happen, its because one side has already decided the terms from the other side are acceptable, they're just seeing if they can still get better

scourge
10-19-2010, 03:35 PM

Yeah, as well as deliberately stomp on the head of a defenseless player who didn't even have his helmet on. He has taken cheap shots at people multiple times in his career. Same guy who after watching Pacman's antics said the League needs more "thugs" like him.

As I had stated in the past and been neg repped for, if I were to learn that someone took a cheap shot at him and he may never walk again I would feel no remorse whatsoever.

And yes, if he were on our team, I would STILL loathe him. Would he help us out on the line, sure, if he felt like it. Still DO. NOT. WANT.

BIG TORO
10-19-2010, 03:35 PM

I looked on my Sprint NFL mobile app and I did not see anything about this, I think someone is Ducking with us!

TexCanada
10-19-2010, 03:37 PM
Trades don't always get to the publics' ears right away. Last minute trades could be announced in the couple hours following the deadline.

No More 8-8's
10-19-2010, 03:38 PM
I heard we might trade Jason Babin for Michael Boulware. He could finally be the safety we need!
/sarcasm

Malloy
10-19-2010, 03:39 PM
And yes, if he were on our team, I would STILL loathe him. Would he help us out on the line, sure, if he felt like it. Still DO. NOT. WANT.

I somewhat agree, morally I would loathe this guy until either one of us dies (or I stop watching football, gods forbid!), but anytime this guy would make a good play, sans the dirty stuff, I would get excited.

I'm guessing I would loathe him, but 'endure' him if he actually made us better.

Double standards here I come... :/

Brandon420tx
10-19-2010, 03:41 PM
I heard we might trade Jason Babin for Michael Boulware. He could finally be the safety we need!
/sarcasm

Please don't remind me of that :crying:

MFG16
10-19-2010, 03:43 PM
Slaton has slipped to #3 on the depth charts with Ward playing above my expectations, and Slaton's kick returns suck, he is providing very little value to the team and if they can get value back why not trade him.

I've always wondered why we never put jacoby back there on kick returns (Not just this season). I think he would excell because he wouldn't have to worry about defenders untill hes in open space.

BigBull17
10-19-2010, 03:44 PM
I've always wondered why we never put jacoby back there on kick returns (Not just this season). I think he would excell because he wouldn't have to worry about defenders untill hes in open space.

JJ isn't real good at KR. He has returned a few and looked hesitant. With KR's, you have to find your blockers and follow em to pay dirt.

SrslySirius
10-19-2010, 03:45 PM
I somewhat agree, morally I would loathe this guy until either one of us dies (or I stop watching football, gods forbid!), but anytime this guy would make a good play, sans the dirty stuff, I would get excited.

I'm guessing I would loathe him, but 'endure' him if he actually made us better.

Double standards here I come... :/

I hate to be that guy, but FTFY.

HJam72
10-19-2010, 03:45 PM

Yes, he gets really open and runs a long way..............but he leaves the ball back where he started. As a kick-returner, JJ is a fumbler. Plus, they don't want to get him hurt right now; plus, he's already doing punt-returns.

I wish AD was healthy.

BigBull17
10-19-2010, 03:47 PM
Yes, he gets really open and runs a long way..............but he leaves the ball back where he started. As a kick-returner, JJ is a fumbler. Plus, they don't want to get him hurt right now; plus, he's already doing punt-returns.

I wish AD was healthy.

Of all the things I expected to hear on here...

Grams
10-19-2010, 03:47 PM
If there are any trades out there - they sure are quiet. There is not even a hint of one anywhere.

Big Lou
10-19-2010, 03:48 PM
Damn it!!!!!! I know there will be no trade for Haynesworth, Aso, Hawk, or Champ, but I'm still on the edge of my damn seat right now. Geez man can't Smithiak just do something different to see what happens?

I know I have added nothing to the conversation so uhhh, trade Slaton while we can.

Does anyone know what Oakland really wants for Scrabble? If it's a first next year and a 2nd the year after I will kick some bodys ass for not doing this deal.....

MFG16
10-19-2010, 03:49 PM
JJ isn't real good at KR. He has returned a few and looked hesitant. With KR's, you have to find your blockers and follow em to pay dirt.

He can't be any worse than slaton. And I don't know how anybody else felt but when DA returned punts when jones was out I was hesitant (kinda like when slaton touches the ball). if we trade slaton, who does kickoffs?

BigBull17
10-19-2010, 03:50 PM
He can't be any worse than slaton. And I don't know how anybody else felt but when DA returned punts when jones was out I was hesitant (kinda like when slaton touches the ball). if we trade slaton, who does kickoffs?

I agree, nobody can be worse than Slaton.

Big Lou
If there are any trades out there - they sure are quiet. There is not even a hint of one anywhere.

Thats when they happen when you least expect it, thats what I keep telling myself!!!!!

:cricket:

Shaft75
:rake:

BIG TORO
10-19-2010, 03:52 PM
8..7..6..5..4..3..2..1..:cricket::cricket:

TEXANS84
8 minuites...don't think this is going to happen.

fiasco west
Damn it!!!!!! I know there will be no trade for Haynesworth, Aso, Hawk, or Champ, but I'm still on the edge of my damn seat right now. Geez man can't Smithiak just do something different to see what happens?

I know I have added nothing to the conversation so uhhh, trade Slaton while we can.

Does anyone know what Oakland really wants for Scrabble? If it's a first next year and a 2nd the year after I will kick some bodys ass for not doing this deal.....

Me too, feel the same way. I know there is about a 2% chance we trade for anyone.

If anything we'll trade Slaton for a 6th round pick or something.

gary
10-19-2010, 03:53 PM
No deals.

HTown2ATX
6 minutes

:choke:

BigBull17
I just don't get not doing SOMETHING.

No More 8-8's
10-19-2010, 03:54 PM
Yeah doesnt appear no one is getting traded.......5 minutes.

Shaft75
10-19-2010, 03:55 PM
Eff it!

Big Lou
10-19-2010, 03:56 PM
Also I don't know why I'm sitting here staring at my computer until 1PM, if something did happen it will get announced in like 2 hours or something, so this whole 1PM thing is really arbitrary......

1PM West Coast.......

hobie
10-19-2010, 03:56 PM
No deals.

Maybe we needed to get Howie Mandel involved with his lovely ladies..

Get Kubiak on stage and make him decide.....Deal or No Deal

BigBull17
10-19-2010, 03:57 PM
Well, that looks like that. Kubiak better do something to fix this shit, cause he had a chance at 4-2 at the bye. We miss the play offs by a game cause we can't stop Katy High School on D, he's gotta go. Reap what you sow Kubiak.

Goatcheese
10-19-2010, 03:57 PM
ESPN is reporting the Texans have traded Jacoby Jones and a 2nd round pick for Richard Seymour.

link (http://www.klutz.com/common/images/products/large/madeyoulook.jpg)

fiasco west
10-19-2010, 03:58 PM
Also I don't know why I'm sitting here staring at my computer until 1PM, if something did happen it will get announced in like 2 hours or something, so this whole 1PM thing is really arbitrary......

1PM West Coast.......

Yep, if there are any trades they may be announced a bit later. If this were the NBA deadline they would have already been announced.

BigBull17
ESPN is reporting the Texans have traded Jacoby Jones and a 2nd round pick for Richard Seymour.

You my friend, are an asshole. You need a pimp slap my friend.

Big Lou
Maybe we needed to get Howie Mandel involved with his lovely ladies..

Get Kubiak on stage and make him decide.....Deal or No Deal

Case #21 please........

OOOHHH IT'S NNAMDI!!!!!

DEAL, DAMN IT DEAL TELL THE ********* BANKER IT"S A DEAL, GET HIM THE F*CK DOWN HERE AND SIGN THE PAPERWORK NOW!!!!!!

Thorn
You should rename the Texans Trade Rumor Mill thread to the Fantasy and Science Fiction thread.

Coach Kevin
10-19-2010, 03:59 PM

That was cruel, but that is how it is being a Texans fan. One let down after another.

Big Lou
10-19-2010, 03:59 PM

Dude you totally suck. I kind of unhappy with the deal anyway, but I was excited that we actually got of our asses and made a move. I may never forgive you........

Shaft75
10-19-2010, 04:00 PM
Shaft75, SrslySirius, HOU-TEX+, BSofA04, Grams, TexMexMom, Frak The Jags, Big Lou, TexansMVP, HTown2ATX, No More 8-8's, feebleminded, Coach Kevin, gary+, TexCanada, Allstar, hobie, fiasco west, kcdoubleeagle, MFG16, Esoom, dtran04, VTexan, ChampionTexan, Ryan, ThaShark316, the11mingdynast, Texan PainTRAIN, H.C.4100-Bloc, OilerTexan, Htownsportsfan, dbruder44, buddyboy, beerlover, MightyTExan

We're all suckers! LOL

SrslySirius
http://imgur.com/IgxkO.jpg

NO DEAL!

HTown2ATX

lol...messed up man

BSofA04
So......nothing.

ThaShark316
10-19-2010, 04:01 PM
Shaft75, SrslySirius, HOU-TEX+, BSofA04, Grams, TexMexMom, Frak The Jags, Big Lou, TexansMVP, HTown2ATX, No More 8-8's, feebleminded, Coach Kevin, gary+, TexCanada, Allstar, hobie, fiasco west, kcdoubleeagle, MFG16, Esoom, dtran04, VTexan, ChampionTexan, Ryan, ThaShark316, the11mingdynast, Texan PainTRAIN, H.C.4100-Bloc, OilerTexan, Htownsportsfan, dbruder44, buddyboy, beerlover, MightyTExan

We're all suckers! LOL

erroneous report....i was NEVER here.

No More 8-8's
Fin.

HTown2ATX
well hopefully something got done we just don't know about yet......

:devilpig:

Big Lou
Why did I hear that classic game show "wrong answer" jingle when the clock struck 3.......

SrslySirius
10-19-2010, 04:02 PM
Why did I hear that classic game show "wrong answer" jingle when the clock struck 3.......

http://www.failhorn.com/

Shaft75

Yeah, the double buzzer...

Cjeremy635
You my friend, are an asshole. You need a pimp slap my friend.

Exactly!!!!!

Curse you Goatcheese! :voodoo:

Kaiser Toro
10-19-2010, 04:03 PM
Mortensen and Schefter have yet to make a proclamation that the deadline has passed and nothing was submitted. Please correct me if I am wrong, but the deadline is only for submissions, not executions.

fiasco west
10-19-2010, 04:03 PM
On NFLnetwork looks like they will be talking about Haynesworth.

DX-TEX
10-19-2010, 04:04 PM
On NFLnetwork looks like they will be talking about Haynesworth.

If the trade was ready to be announced I think it would be a lead story.

Big Lou
10-19-2010, 04:05 PM
Anybody know where I can get a good deal on a wireless keyboard/mouse, and 24" monitor, mine are shattered in, well lets make it 754 peices on my office floor. My employer will probably frown on this behavior.

Sent via my Blackberry Smart Phone

BIG TORO
10-19-2010, 04:05 PM

Man that like when you have a bad dream and then you wake up and your happy cuz it was just a dream! I would hate to lose JJ!

Texanmike02
10-19-2010, 04:07 PM
Needing a MLB and help at CB and at the DT position the Texans have made a trade with the washington wizzards for a player to be named later. It is reported that they are looking at signing a PF to that may have played TE in HS. Koach Cubiac was reported as saying "this one's on me guys. I pulled the trade because we had to do something and the Wizzards were the only team who wanted steve slaton as a return man".

Maybe there is a reason both teams always have high hopes only to be dashed by the midway point.

Sorry, skepticism runs rampant. This is the most upset 4-2 for the first time ever fanbase. But we are what we think we are.

Mike

fiasco west
10-19-2010, 04:07 PM
If the trade was ready to be announced I think it would be a lead story.

You're right, it's probably about what the Redskins will do with him now. I don't have much hope that there was a trade. Usually one of those ESPN guys get word of something before the trade is even accepted.

gary
10-19-2010, 04:08 PM
Is it over?

Big Lou
Is it over?

If you have a towel it is now time to throw it in.

DX-TEX
Is it over?

Its never over! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor!?!?

Brandon420tx
10-19-2010, 04:09 PM
Is it over?

No, we have to hear the report of activity by the pundits, if there was any.

TexCanada
10-19-2010, 04:09 PM
Is it over?

Not officially. Pretty darn close though. Chances are very slim.

gary
10-19-2010, 04:11 PM
Its never over! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor!?!?You mean Japan?

fiasco west
That La Canfora guy just said he's heard nothing thus far unless something just came up there has been no activity.

HTown2ATX
Guys, guys....it's ok....we're gonna fix things "in house" remember.

:wadepalm:

Dash
Not officially. Pretty darn close though. Chances are very slim.

Chances of a big trade is very slim but still a decent chance a minor deal went through.

Big Lou
10-19-2010, 04:12 PM

Hell no!!

Well, on second thought the tough just left.....

Hervoyel
That's fine, the Texans don't need anything. They're standing pat and playing out the season with the guys they have. It's win or get out of here time for Gary & Co. and he's made his call. I sure hope he's right.

J_R
We made a move!!! :sarcasm: ;)

The #Texans have release T Ephraim Salaam and waived LB David Nixon

Brandon420tx
You mean Japan?

Nope, I thought it was the aztecs

TexCanada
You'd think that by now I would have learned to stop getting my hopes up.

Big Lou
10-19-2010, 04:13 PM
You mean Japan?

Animal House, IMDB it......

You're a little young for that though!

Brandon420tx
10-19-2010, 04:13 PM
Ah, you got me haha

drewmar74
10-19-2010, 04:14 PM

Addition by subtraction?

TEXANS84

Well, back comes Duane and someone from the P.S.

Dutchrudder

Salaam is released because Duane Brown is back. Nixon on the other hand may be an actual move for a LB, but that would indicate we used a draft pick in conjunction with a trade.

Big Lou
10-19-2010, 04:16 PM
That's fine, the Texans don't need anything. They're standing pat and playing out the season with the guys they have. It's win or get out of here time for Gary & Co. and he's made his call. I sure hope he's right.

Hey, do you know how many times a piss poor secondary has come together and been elite by the end of the season!?!?!?!?!?!

I'll tell you............ Well none actually so it seems strange we would just roll with what we got.

Man sure hope Rick is scouting some scabs for next year. That will be the year we will win the SB, the year there is a lock out, it'll be great, Houston will forever be thought of as a great sports city. AAAHHH bask in it's glow!!!

gary
I thought it was Iran.

Cjeremy635

LOL

He was referring to this Gary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8lT1o0sDwI

silvrhand
Salaam is released because Duane Brown is back. Nixon on the other hand may be an actual move for a LB, but that would indicate we used a draft pick in conjunction with a trade.

I would be very suprised if we released Nixon given the fact he is one of 4 health LB's that we have on the roster at this point, that would seem to me that we actually traded for a MLB?

I'm really confused if we truly did release Nixon.

Hardcore Texan
10-19-2010, 04:17 PM
So the update is.........there is no update.

PockyAF
BREAKING NEWS:

Duane Brown was traded to the Houston Texans for a Texas-sized middle finger to Roger Goodell.

Dash
I don't get Nixon's release unless there was a deal.

fiasco west
10-19-2010, 04:18 PM
Hey, do you know how many times a piss poor secondary has come together and been elite by the end of the season!?!?!?!?!?!

I'll tell you............ Well none actually so it seems strange we would just roll with what we got.

Man sure hope Rick is scouting some scabs for next year. That will be the year we will win the SB, the year there is a lock out, it'll be great, Houston will forever be thought of as a great sports city. AAAHHH bask in it's glow!!!

Hey sorta like the Rockets winning championships the two years Jordan decided to play baseball!

Malloy
10-19-2010, 04:19 PM
I hate to be that guy, but FTFY.

You're right, changed it when I noticed myself. Beer and Whisky to blame, and also 'd' is real close to 's' on the keyboard :)

DX-TEX
10-19-2010, 04:20 PM
Slaton was traded to the Packers for a 300lb block of swiss cheese. Kubiak stated Wisconsin is known for great cheese and this block fits right into our defensive scheme at this time.

Goatcheese
10-19-2010, 04:21 PM
Slaton was traded to the Packers for a 300lb block of swiss cheese. Kubiak stated Wisconsin is known for great cheese and this block fits right into our defensive scheme at this time.

Because it's full of holes?

Or was it stinky cheese?

silvrhand
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7254195.html

The NFL's 3 p.m. trade deadline passed Tuesday without the Texans making a deal.
The Texans did waive offensive tackle Ephraim Salaam and linebacker David Nixon. Salaam clears room on the roster for Duane Brown, who has returned from his four-game suspension for violating the NFL’s policy on banned substances.

WTF?

Malloy
You should rename the Texans Trade Rumor Mill thread to the Fantasy and Science Fiction thread.

You're just jealous that I'm more drunk today than you!

Envy! ;)

Thorn
10-19-2010, 04:22 PM
You're just jealous that I'm more drunk today than you!

Envy! ;)

And you would be correct in that! LOL

Corrosion
10-19-2010, 04:28 PM

WTF?

Im really surprised they waived Nixon , he had a pretty good half of football on Sunday. Maybe thet did get something done .... or they just make a weak spot weaker.

False Start
10-19-2010, 04:28 PM
So....... http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/3112/kwhistleabove.gif.............. :rake:

Oh well, didn't get my hopes up in the first place.

gary
10-19-2010, 04:29 PM
That is nice that no trades were made at all.

Big Lou
10-19-2010, 04:29 PM
I would be very suprised if we released Nixon given the fact he is one of 4 health LB's that we have on the roster at this point, that would seem to me that we actually traded for a MLB?

I'm really confused if we truly did release Nixon.

Maybe they feel all the banged up LB's will be ready when we head to Indy....

fiasco west
10-19-2010, 04:31 PM
Im really surprised they waived Nixon , he had a pretty good half of football on Sunday. Maybe thet did get something done .... or they just make a weak spot weaker.

I think it's more likely they bring up a PS squad player or re-sign some old former Texan/Bronco.

HOU-TEX
10-19-2010, 04:31 PM
They should've cut Adibi instead. At least Nixon was able to stay on the field. Adibi strains something just by strapping up his pads

Big Lou
10-19-2010, 04:32 PM
So they aren't even going to consider Shawne Merriman???????

Obviousley not a trade, but a move none the less.

stevn8r
with DeMeco and Nixon gone, that is only 51 on the Roster :thinking:
What does it mean?!?

J_R

The NFL's 3 p.m. trade deadline passed Tuesday without the Texans making a deal.

Nixon, who had six tackles in Sunday's 35-31 victory over Kansas City, leaves a spot open to sign another player from the practice squad or off the street.
Coach Gary Kubiak said Monday that he and general manager Rick Smith would explore every option to improve the defense, including a possible trade, but nobody was willing to make a deal at a price the Texans deemed reasonable.

Kubiak also said Monday that history shows teams fix injury problems in-house. Because of middle linebacker DeMeco Ryans' season-ending injury, Kubiak has to decide who's going to take his place.

"What I meant was that when I always approach things, I want to fix it with who Iíve got," Kubiak said after practice Tuesday morning. "I canít sit there and wait on something else to happen. Iím approaching it with, 'Do we move (strong-side linebacker) Zac (Diles) (into the middle) or not move Zac?

"How do we fix it with (weak-side linebacker) Xavier (Adibi) and (linebacker Darryl) Sharpton and (linebacker Kevin) Bentley? Thatís all Iím looking at right now."

Adibi, Sharpton and Bentley are supposed to be healthy when the Texans return from their open date to play at Indianapolis on Nov. 1.

Nick Scurfield: Kubiak was optimistic today that Bentley, Sharpton & Adibi will be healthy after the bye

Dash
10-19-2010, 04:33 PM
Mcclain confirms no deal was done.

Edit: HSF beat me to it.

Shaft75
10-19-2010, 04:36 PM
Great! I'm set for the rest of the day!

:drunk:

drewmar74
Its what I expected but, I still have to say:

SH@#*!!!!!!

HuttoKarl
I hate when our staff expects Adibi to be healthy...he never is.

Shaft75
10-19-2010, 04:37 PM
its what i expected but, i still have to say:

Sh@#*!!!!!!

shoes!!!!!! ??

VTexan
10-19-2010, 04:37 PM
That is nice that no trades were made at all.

Indeed, I love having no change to the status quo that way I never have to raise my expectations.

drewmar74
10-19-2010, 04:39 PM
shoes!!!!!! ??

Exactly!

Shoes!

BIG TORO
10-19-2010, 04:39 PM
Pay somebody rick! Damn!

Shaft75
10-19-2010, 04:41 PM
shoes!!!

drewmar74
10-19-2010, 04:42 PM
shoes!!!

You hear us, Rick? You hear us, Gary? We're made as hell and we're not going to take these SHOES any more!

CretorFrigg
10-19-2010, 04:43 PM
Darn...I'm disappointed. I was ecstatic about trading for AJ Hawk. He has a lot of potential as a MLB in the 4-3 system.

Would've been even better if we received Nnandi Asomughasdfadsfadsfadsf.

I just feel like Kubiak and Rick Smith aren't doing whatever it takes to win...

TexCanada
10-19-2010, 04:44 PM
Darn...I'm disappointed. I was ecstatic about trading for AJ Hawk. He has a lot of potential as a MLB in the 4-3 system.

Would've been even better if we received Nnandi Asomughasdfadsfadsfadsf.

I just feel like Kubiak and Rick Smith aren't doing whatever it takes to win...

Exactly.

scourge
10-19-2010, 04:47 PM
Considering it appears that no trades were made at all in the NFL before the deadline, this doesn't bother me. Had anything significant happened elsewhere I would've been upset.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't have tried, but it's not like we were the only team that should have made a push.

TexCanada
10-19-2010, 04:48 PM
Considering it appears that no trades were made at all in the NFL before the deadline, this doesn't bother me. Had anything significant happened elsewhere I would've been upset.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't have tried, but it's not like we were the only team that should have made a push.

Winners don't always stick to the status quo.

devo-x
10-19-2010, 04:49 PM
What about the 2 roster spots left open?

Kaiser Toro
10-19-2010, 04:52 PM
The talking heads are tweeting/discussing the fines for the hits, and the NFL site just posted the details at 3:45ish. Let's see if we have another news cycle, for our prime time pleasure this evening.

scourge
10-19-2010, 04:52 PM
Winners don't always stick to the status quo.

I agree, but I would find it far more pathetic if another team/s had made effort to better themselves while we sat watching.

I absolutely think we should have been active in sending out offers to multiple teams, but it just doesn't bother me as much when no one else did either.

Mid-season trades are rather rare to begin with.

Dallas_Texan
10-19-2010, 05:11 PM
Who is responsible for doing NOTHING? Was it Kubiak, Smith, or McNair? 99.9%of the time I agree with youth and letting players step up from the depth chart. That however is when your defense is 1st-20th in the league. Or when your not on a playoff run you've planned for years.
Hopefully Cushing gets better in coverage as well as Pollard, but I'm not holding my breath. haynesworth would have been huge for our pass rush. He'll, ANYTHING would have shown us they are trying to do everything we can to make the playoffs.

Kubiak says we will build with what we have, but since losing Demeco we don't even have what we HAD as a 31st ranked defense.

I'm not sure who's fault this is, but a change needs to be made.

Double Barrel
10-19-2010, 05:13 PM
I'm blaming Al Davis for not making us a deal.

Imatexanfan
10-19-2010, 05:20 PM
Yea your right and I'll go ahead and say it's bullshit. The fact we are ranked 31st is sickening to my stomach we spend all these draft pics on defense and yet can't seem to stop a curl route, I understand they are rookies but hell majority of them have been playing since Peewee leagues. So the fact we can't cover shit is getting on my nerves, sorry for the kussing but I say stuff that yawl too scared to say. Its great we are 4-2 going into the bye week then to Indy but news flash Indy has a bye week too so we better step up or Peyton will make us look like fools....

Corrosion
10-19-2010, 05:28 PM
I think they made a critical mistake not fixing at lest one of the three holes on defense .... playoffs if they are lucky (and the offense scores 50 a game) but they wont do jack when they get there unless by some miracle they turn this defense around.

infantrycak
10-19-2010, 05:34 PM
sorry for the kussing but I say stuff that yawl too scared to say.

It has nothing to do with fear and everything with understanding to follow rules where you are a guest in what is supposed to be an environment kids can visit.

HouSportsWriter
10-19-2010, 05:47 PM
It has nothing to do with fear and everything with understanding to follow rules where you are a guest in what is supposed to be an environment kids can visit

This

Kaiser Toro
10-19-2010, 05:55 PM
The Bucs and the Chiefs made a trade, per Schefter's Twitter machine

In return for DE Alex Magee, the Chiefs get back a 2011 draft pick from the Buccaneers, but Tampa Bay also gets one as well.

There was a trade today! Kansas City traded former third-round pick, defensive end Alex Magee, to Tampa Bay for draft conditions.

scourge
10-19-2010, 06:13 PM
Yea your right and I'll go ahead and say it's bullshit. The fact we are ranked 31st is sickening to my stomach we spend all these draft pics on defense and yet can't seem to stop a curl route, I understand they are rookies but hell majority of them have been playing since Peewee leagues. So the fact we can't cover shit is getting on my nerves, sorry for the kussing but I say stuff that yawl too scared to say. Its great we are 4-2 going into the bye week then to Indy but news flash Indy has a bye week too so we better step up or Peyton will make us look like fools....

It has nothing to do with fear and everything with understanding to follow rules where you are a guest in what is supposed to be an environment kids can visit.

This.

If you are going need to swear don't say it is because we are too scared to. It's just unnecessary when trying to get a point across. Also, if you must do so then at least try to work on your spell check. I think you meant picks, cussing and y'all. Yawl is a ship's small boat, rowed by a crew of four or six or a two-masted, fore-and-aft-rigged sailing vessel having a large mainmast and a smaller jiggermast or mizzenmast stepped abaft the sternpost.

I believe this is the 1st time I've ever corrected spelling here, but kids like SiaB(and he in particular has improved immensely) have a hard enough time with spelling as it is. They don't need both cursing and horrible spelling. There are plenty of other places for that.

scourge
10-19-2010, 06:19 PM
To Corrosion, I've always wanted to ask about your sig as to whether or not the hindsight comment is in reference to Megadeth's "Sweating Bullets."

HJam72
10-19-2010, 06:45 PM
Eye ben swarin' mor lattely 2. I shud stop dewing that kinda stough.

thunderkyss
10-19-2010, 06:46 PM
The fact we are ranked 31st is sickening to my stomach we spend all these draft pics on defense and yet can't seem to stop a curl route, I understand they are rookies but hell majority of them have been playing since Peewee leagues. So the fact we can't cover shit is getting on my nerves, sorry for the kussing but I say stuff that yawl too scared to say.

If it makes you feel better, there is nothing wrong with their ability to cover receivers.

It's also nice to note Washington's defense is worse than ours, & they have Carlos Rodgers, DeAngelo Hall, & Phillip Buchanon on their team.

HJam72
10-19-2010, 06:47 PM
Washington's D is worse than ours, because they faced our Offense. :choke:

steelbtexan
10-19-2010, 06:53 PM
Here's to hoping Kubiaks kids come through for him.

Thanks for nothing Uncle BoB and R.Smith

drewmar74
10-19-2010, 06:53 PM

Ewe to? I wuld start butt my brudder sad its bad too stert doin that sinz wunz ewe start its reeeel hard to stup.

On a related note, I never expected a trade for anyone. Don't expect anything and you'll never be disappointed, comrade!

scourge
10-19-2010, 06:57 PM

Ewe to? I wuld start butt my brudder sad its bad too stert doin that sinz wunz ewe start its reeeel hard to stup.

On a related note, I never expected a trade for anyone. Don't expect anything and you'll never be disappointed, comrade!

:lol:

jshabang
10-19-2010, 07:00 PM
awwwwwwww....dont u just love uneventful days????????.........

we need more of em!!!!!!!:choke::gamer:

TexansBull
10-19-2010, 07:29 PM
If it makes you feel better, there is nothing wrong with their ability to cover receivers.

It's also nice to note Washington's defense is worse than ours, & they have Carlos Rodgers, DeAngelo Hall, & Phillip Buchanon on their team.

And albert haynesworth, orakpo, landry(?) who was bustin through our line and giving us fits. Who is their defensive coordinator and why hasn't he been fired?

THE NFL
10-19-2010, 07:30 PM

Thats not quite true. They are worse in overall yards, but the gap has closed. The give up less passing yards, although not by many.

But the Skins give up 10 points less per game in scoring. Thats where is really matters. The Texans dont get sacks, turnovers or keep anyone out of the endzone.

The Skins have also played far superior talent to the Texans thus far. Better offenses. Passing teams.

HJam72
10-19-2010, 07:32 PM
Thats not quite true. They are worse in overall yards, but the gap has closed. The give up less passing yards, although not by many.

But the Skins give up 10 points less per game in scoring. Thats where is really matters. The Texans dont get sacks, turnovers or keep anyone out of the endzone.

Thay aso downt rap aneebodie up.

PS-Downt cumplayn. It'z shortehanned. :)

THE NFL
10-19-2010, 07:34 PM
And albert haynesworth, orakpo, landry(?) who was bustin through our line and giving us fits. Who is their defensive coordinator and why hasn't he been fired?

Jim Haslett.....Skins fans are screaming for his head as well. But at least he has a pedigree.

HJam72
10-19-2010, 07:39 PM
Jim Haslett.....Skins fans are screaming for his head as well. But at least he has a pedigree.

Really? Who were his parents?

drs23
10-19-2010, 07:51 PM
awwwwwwww....dont u just love uneventful days????????.........

we need more of em!!!!!!! :choke::gamer:

Well we have two weeks to go. (In my best Kramer impression)...Giddy up!

thunderkyss
10-19-2010, 08:12 PM

The Skins have also played far superior talent to the Texans thus far. Better offenses. Passing teams.

First, lets use the same stats everybody else uses... when we gave up the most yards in the league, and the most passing yards in the league, we had the worse defense & the worse passing d... let's just stick with that, not because it is favorable to the Texans, but because that is what everybody uses, total yards.

Second, we score 7 points more per game. Not exactly even with giving up more points, but it's something.

Third, They've got 13 sacks, we've got 10. big deal

We've got 4 Ints... they've got 4. They do have 11 fumbles to our 5..... so yeah.

So far, they've played 4 QBs in the top ten of ypg this year. We've played 4 QBs in the top ten of ypg this year.

Imatexanfan
10-19-2010, 09:50 PM
This.

If you are going need to swear don't say it is because we are too scared to. It's just unnecessary when trying to get a point across. Also, if you must do so then at least try to work on your spell check. I think you meant picks, cussing and y'all. Yawl is a ship's small boat, rowed by a crew of four or six or a two-masted, fore-and-aft-rigged sailing vessel having a large mainmast and a smaller jiggermast or mizzenmast stepped abaft the sternpost.

I believe this is the 1st time I've ever corrected spelling here, but kids like SiaB(and he in particular has improved immensely) have a hard enough time with spelling as it is. They don't need both cursing and horrible spelling. There are plenty of other places for that.

Seriously?! Where's GB when u need em lol

Blazin' Toro
10-19-2010, 10:14 PM
The difference between the Texans and big market teams is they trade for players when in need to improve their season, even if it's slightly, every bit helps. I am very disappointed at the Texans not making a move for a LB or CB. They're fooling themselves when they say we're gonna improve from "within the team" it's gonna take years to do that with all the young players..At least sign a ********* free agent.

HJam72
10-19-2010, 10:15 PM
Screw free agents; we need Casserly back! :stirpot:

Blazin' Toro
10-19-2010, 10:21 PM
Texans are like those skinny kids at the pool party as hard as they try to make an awesome splash from their cannonball they can't. But the bigger market teams are the husky kids splashing the whole neighborhood. Make moves, better your team, better your season...

thunderkyss
10-19-2010, 10:47 PM
The difference between the Texans and big market teams is they trade for players when in need to improve their season, even if it's slightly, every bit helps. I am very disappointed at the Texans not making a move for a LB or CB. They're fooling themselves when they say we're gonna improve from "within the team" it's gonna take years to do that with all the young players..At least sign a ********* free agent.

I didn't see any other teams trading for CBs or LBs. Maybe there weren't any on the block worth a damn.

& we did sign Paymah.

TexanBacker93
10-19-2010, 10:56 PM

What free agents are out there right now that are going to come in and be any better than what we already have?

Nobody traded for anything today. My guess is everyone is asking too high a price. I'd love to get help. I wouldn't want to part with a 2nd rounder for Haynesworth, though. The Raiders aren't going to trade Nnamdi. Sometimes when a team doesn't make a move it isn't because they are cheap or don't want to improve it's because there isn't an available option.

devo-x
10-19-2010, 10:58 PM

Meanwhile, the Texans tried out nine offensive free agents: quarterbacks Tom Brandstater and Jonathan Crompton; running backs Chris Jennings, Louis Rankin, Alfonso Smith, Javarris Williams and Clifton Smith; and tight ends Rob Myers and Derek Schouman.

The Texans will try out defensive players Wednesday.

Blazin' Toro
10-19-2010, 10:59 PM
Not in this particular deadline but the offseason and other seasons. The Texans could have at least OFFERED the Raiders something for Asomaghu or Johnson, or tried for AJ Hawk in Green Bay, anything, at least try. Free agents? Nah we'll stick with the the guys getting burnt every pass play and leave our LB's the same who are just mediocre without Ryans. Scratching my head.

JB
10-19-2010, 11:02 PM
Not in this particular deadline but the offseason and other seasons. The Texans could have at least OFFERED the Raiders something for Asomaghu or Johnson, or tried for AJ Hawk in Green Bay, anything, at least try. Free agents? Nah we'll stick with the the guys getting burnt every pass play and leave our LB's the same who are just mediocre without Ryans. Scratching my head.

How do you know they didn't?

TheMatrix31
10-19-2010, 11:04 PM
Seriously. Saying they didnt "try" implies that you're in the front office. Just because nothing got done doesn't mean that attempts and offers weren't made.

Blazin' Toro
10-19-2010, 11:42 PM
I know they didn't solely on the fact that Kubiak said they'll work with what they had even though the day before that he said him and Smith were going to find the best possible way of replacing Ryans through FA or trade. Oh well, heres to our secondary making a total makeover in the span of two weeks!

thunderkyss
10-19-2010, 11:46 PM
I know they didn't solely on the fact that Kubiak said they'll work with what they had even though the day before that he said him and Smith were going to find the best possible way of replacing Ryans through FA or trade. Oh well, heres to our secondary making a total makeover in the span of two weeks!

If you knew what you were looking at when you're watching defensive football, you'd know our CBs are not the biggest problem of our pass defense.

You can read this thread (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76693), and see what the real problem is. He even includes video evidence, that will help you next time you watch a football game.

This, plus Kubiak's history of not throwing his players under the bus should help you decipher what Kubiak is saying when he answers the question, "are you going to look for veteran corners" & he says, "we're going with what we got."

If that is still too cryptic, that is coach speak for saying, "We're right about Kareem & Quin, we're extremely satisfied with that decision. We'd make it again given the chance. You morons obviously don't know the first thing about defense, otherwise you'd see it's my LBs screwing the pooch & my safety trying to cover up everybodies mistakes, causing him to slip in his responsibilities."

NitroGSXR
10-19-2010, 11:56 PM
I didn't see any other teams trading for CBs or LBs. Maybe there weren't any on the block worth a damn.

& we did sign Paymah.
I noticed Paymah taking an extra long prayer/moment of silence kneeling in the endzone prior to the game starting. If Paymah's our patchwork vet... we're in trouble. He was terrible on Sunday. Terrible.

God. I hate this scrub bullshit.

The Cush
10-20-2010, 12:00 AM
I noticed Paymah taking an extra long prayer/moment of silence kneeling in the endzone prior to the game starting. If Paymah's our patchwork vet... we're in trouble. He was terrible on Sunday. Terrible.

God. I hate this scrub bullshit.

Did he even play any defensive snaps? I know he was in on special teams

Blazin' Toro
10-20-2010, 12:02 AM
Of course, I understand that it's a mix of mostly all positions except the DE's and DT's. The safeties and LB's looked just as confused as the CB's. What I am trying to say is one simple move to obtain a veteran player to help in the huddle and before the snap of the ball, would be ideal. I don't know, I guess I am just wrong. Maybe I see it differently, I am no defense expert.

NitroGSXR
10-20-2010, 12:06 AM
Did he even play any defensive snaps? I know he was in on special teams
To be honest, I don't know. I do know that what little I saw of him reeked. He got juked real bad as well as totally whiffed on a flying tackle attempt.

He did not look like a football player

thunderkyss
10-20-2010, 12:11 AM
Of course, I understand that it's a mix of mostly all positions except the DE's and DT's. The safeties and LB's looked just as confused as the CB's. What I am trying to say is one simple move to obtain a veteran player to help in the huddle and before the snap of the ball, would be ideal. I don't know, I guess I am just wrong. Maybe I see it differently, I am no defense expert.

If you understand the biggest part of the problem is the LBs & Safeties.... why do you need another vet in the huddle? The LBs & Safeties are the veteran positions on this team. Demeco, Wilson, Pollard, Diles... all 3+ years guys.

Blazin' Toro
10-20-2010, 12:17 AM
If you understand the biggest part of the problem is the LBs & Safeties.... why do you need another vet in the huddle? The LBs & Safeties are the veteran positions on this team. Demeco, Wilson, Pollard, Diles... all 3+ years guys.

That's just the thing, DeMeco is hurt for the rest of the season, that is pretty big for a struggling defense in my opinion. Eugene Wilson has been mediocre from what I can remember, unless someone can prove me wrong and give me an example of how he's a leader on the D. Pollard, for some strange reason the last two games has looked completely lost, he dished out a couple of mean hits but other than that his coverage needs improvement badly.

Maybe it's just me but the game against the Giants, the defense before and after the snap looked completely confused, trying to match up with receivers in man coverage before the snap, trying to stop the run. We need some along side Cushing or Quin Jr./Jackson to help them get their effing heads in the game, obviously our vets aren't doing right.

thunderkyss
10-20-2010, 08:49 AM
That's just the thing, DeMeco is hurt for the rest of the season, that is pretty big for a struggling defense in my opinion. Eugene Wilson has been mediocre from what I can remember, unless someone can prove me wrong and give me an example of how he's a leader on the D. Pollard, for some strange reason the last two games has looked completely lost, he dished out a couple of mean hits but other than that his coverage needs improvement badly.

If you're talking about another veteran LB or Safety, I can understand what you're saying. But those positions are pretty good as far as experience is concerned. Getting the younger Nolan/Barber in the game shouldn't diminish our veteran presence in the secondary.

scourge
10-20-2010, 10:20 AM
Texans are like those skinny kids at the pool party as hard as they try to make an awesome splash from their cannonball they can't. But the bigger market teams are the husky kids splashing the whole neighborhood. Make moves, better your team, better your season...

If referring to the thin kids as skinny, you should call the husky kids what they are... the fat kids. No reason to be sensitive to one side and not the other. :D

On the more serious side, I do see where you are going with this and think that's a pretty decent assessment. As I mentioned before, being that no team did anything significantly I am not all that disgusted with the fact that we did nothing. That doesn't mean I think we shouldn't have made real effort to be the ones to make a big splash, but I'd have been more upset had others did what we are always hesitant to do. We really should have made serious offers for major trades, but we all knew deep down that it was highly unlikely. Aso wasn't really available, and the Skins say Haynesworth wasn't either. There are others, though, that we could have made serious offers to at least show they are trying to better themselves.

Kubiaks plan of working with what we've got is ridiculous. As a head coach he could be better, but I really don't have a major problem with him other than his handling of the defensive side. We should have picked up a proven 4-3 D Coordinator such as Greg Williams when we had the chance and given that person more control of personnel moves. I am completely opposed to switching back to the 3-4 because of players like Mario who are not ideal for that scheme, though. I guarantee his production would drop if we made that change.

HTown2ATX
10-20-2010, 10:22 AM
We didn't make any trades damnit!

:kubepalm:

(sorry, just wanted to use the new smiley in an actual thread..... :) )

BigBull17
10-20-2010, 10:24 AM
If referring to the thin kids as skinny, you should call the husky kids what they are... the fat kids. No reason to be sensitive to one side and not the other. :D

On the more serious side, I do see where you are going with this and think that's a pretty decent assessment. As I mentioned before, being that no team did anything significantly I am not all that disgusted with the fact that we did nothing. That doesn't mean I think we shouldn't have made real effort to be the ones to make a big splash, but I'd have been more upset had others did what we are always hesitant to do. We really should have made serious offers for major trades, but we all knew deep down that it was highly unlikely. Aso wasn't really available, and the Skins say Haynesworth wasn't either. There are others, though, that we could have made serious offers to at least show they are trying to better themselves.

Kubiaks plan of working with what we've got is ridiculous. As a head coach he could be better, but I really don't have a major problem with him other than his handling of the defensive side. We should have picked up a proven 4-3 D Coordinator such as Greg Williams when we had the chance and given that person more control of personnel moves. I am completely opposed to switching back to the 3-4 because of players like Mario who are not ideal for that scheme, though. I guarantee his production would drop if we made that change.

I don't know. The way it goes now, teams can stack Mario's side and shift the protection that way. A 3-4 defense would allow us to threaten the opposite side of the line. It would be harder to slide protections around if we could storm that side and drop the guy you're trying to block. That's our main problem, we are so bland they know who they have to find and focus on it. Then we are incapable of generating any other rush, unless Smith blows it up.

VTexan
10-20-2010, 10:30 AM
I don't know. The way it goes now, teams can stack Mario's side and shift the protection that way. A 3-4 defense would allow us to threaten the opposite side of the line. It would be harder to slide protections around if we could storm that side and drop the guy you're trying to block. That's our main problem, we are so bland they know who they have to find and focus on it. Then we are incapable of generating any other rush, unless Smith blows it up.

I'm not for switching to the 3-4 but I would think Mario would be used as an outside linebacker just rushing the qb most of the time. He already rushes standing up a lot and drops back in to coverage quite a bit. But we would have no NT for the 3-4..

BigBull17
10-20-2010, 10:33 AM
I'm not for switching to the 3-4 but I would think Mario would be used as an outside linebacker just rushing the qb most of the time. He already rushes standing up a lot and drops back in to coverage quite a bit. But we would have no NT for the 3-4..

Mario could be either, a 3-4 OLB or 3-4 End. Cody at nose, Smith at other end. Zerocoye or Mitchel could also be ends. You can find a fat guy on the sofa eating donuts dipped in bacon grease to play the NT snaps. He would be out on passing downs.

scourge
10-20-2010, 10:36 AM

Still don't think him as a DE in the 3-4 is a smart idea, and he definitely someone we don't want as a permanent OLB. We drafted him to specifically be the 4-3 DE to crush Manning, so far he's been doing what we drafted him for. To a much lesser extent, look at Babin. Horrible in the 3-4, but doing somewhat better in the 4-3 he played in college.

Porky
10-20-2010, 10:37 AM
I don't think changing base schemes in the middle of a season would ever work, but right now if this defense were Baskin Robbins it would be plain vanilla. Why can't we get a scoop of Tuiti Fruiti once in a while? :devilpig:

Jeff S.
10-20-2010, 10:38 AM
Nobody traded for anything today. My guess is everyone is asking too high a price. I'd love to get help. I wouldn't want to part with a 2nd rounder for Haynesworth, though. The Raiders aren't going to trade Nnamdi. Sometimes when a team doesn't make a move it isn't because they are cheap or don't want to improve it's because there isn't an available option.

This^^^.

I get tired of people saying with full sarc, "Don't you wish we had Dunta now? He's better than what we got back there." Sure it'd be nice to still have Dunta back there, at a price that reflects his worth. It's always a balance between what you get vs what you give up. Sure we could have made a deal for Nnamdi if we thrown our next three number ones at Al.

I don't understand why people think you can get something for nothing.

NitroGSXR
10-20-2010, 10:43 AM
This^^^.

I get tired of people saying with full sarc, "Don't you wish we had Dunta now? He's better than what we got back there." Sure it'd be nice to still have Dunta back there, at a price that reflects his worth. It's always a balance between what you get vs what you give up. Sure we could have made a deal for Nnamdi if we thrown our next three number ones at Al.

I don't understand why people think you can get something for nothing.

The other day, I found part of a Snickers bar in the trash while walking down 6th street. Dusted that bugger off and wolfed him down. I'm telling you... it was still yum.

:nods head:

scourge
10-20-2010, 10:45 AM
Mario could be either, a 3-4 OLB or 3-4 End. Cody at nose, Smith at other end. Zerocoye or Mitchel could also be ends. You can find a fat guy on the sofa eating donuts dipped in bacon grease to play the NT snaps. He would be out on passing downs.

3-4 ends do get to the QB, but often they are used to tie up as much of the oline as possible to bring on the various LB blitzes. As an OLB, you really want him trying to cover when not one of the blitzers? It's not like he'd always be rushing in. He would be not doing as often what we pay him for. Yeah, even in a 3-4 OLBs get plenty of sacks but I'd rather he be trying to on almost all pass plays, not just ones that call for his position to do so. Merriman would make a better transition to 4-3 OLB in my opinion than Mario to the 3-4.

BigBull17
10-20-2010, 10:47 AM
3-4 ends do get to the QB, but often they are used to tie up as much of the oline as possible to bring on the various LB blitzes. As an OLB, you really want him trying to cover when not one of the blitzers? It's not like he'd always be rushing in. He would be not doing as often what we pay him for. Yeah, even in a 3-4 OLBs get plenty of sacks but I'd rather he be trying to on almost all pass plays, not just ones that call for his position to do so. Merriman would make a better transition to 4-3 OLB in my opinion than Mario to the 3-4.

I understand your points, but as of right now, teams can zero in on him, and then our whole pass rush is gone. The 3-4 wouldn't allow teams to do that as much. We drop him in coverage now, so it could be ok. I'm just floating it out there.

JB
10-20-2010, 10:53 AM
I think we should move Mario around more. They looked really good when Mario moves right before the snap, maybe to the interior, maybe dropping. But when he is on the move pre-snap, it really messes with the OL protection calls. Frees up not just him, but often others as well.

scourge
10-20-2010, 10:55 AM
I don't think changing base schemes in the middle of a season would ever work, but right now if this defense were Baskin Robbins it would be plain vanilla. Why can't we get a scoop of Tuiti Fruiti once in a while? :devilpig:

I don't even consider us vanilla. To quote a singer giving an interview "Rum Raisin because everyone throws up after they eat it."