PDA

View Full Version : ESPN gives Texans props.

Blazin' Toro
10-18-2010, 11:29 PM
Was browsing the forums, with ESPN on my TV in the background and outta nowhere I hear the Texans being mentioned, I turned to glance if it was anything involving a trade or move (foolish me) but it was Trent Dilfer talking about how he likes the Texans this year in the AFC South. He brough up a good point saying the Texans used to find ways to lose but now they are finally finding ways to win, especially with their 4 TD's in the second half against Kansas City. It's pretty nice to hear ESPN giving some recognition! Any one else catch our 2 minutes of fame!?

texansdrummer
10-18-2010, 11:36 PM
Was browsing the forums, with ESPN on my TV in the background and outta nowhere I hear the Texans being mentioned, I turned to glance if it was anything involving a trade or move (foolish me) but it was Trent Dilfer talking about how he likes the Texans this year in the AFC South. He brough up a good point saying the Texans used to find ways to lose but now they are finally finding ways to win, especially with their 4 TD's in the second half against Kansas City. It's pretty nice to hear ESPN giving some recognition! Any one else catch our 2 minutes of fame!?

Yeah, I just saw that. The Titans looked damn good tonight, and having said that, the Jags aren't gonna be easy either. We've got our work cut out for us, but I think it's gonna be a fun ride. I'd feel really good about things if we end up 5-2 after Indy, but I'm not about to throw in the towel if we're 4-3 either.

Matt Schaub was also nominated for the GMC "Never Say Never" award. You can vote here:

www.NFL.com/GMC

fiasco west
10-18-2010, 11:47 PM
Getting worried, I hope they are not back on the bandwagon. Seems like the bandwagon fills up...then the Texans lose horribly and everyone jumps right back off...repeat process throughout season.

Pretty sure just a week ago I heard one of these guys say "Same Ole Texans..." during NFL primetime highlight show.

IDEXAN
10-19-2010, 07:21 AM
After watching last night MNF game, there's no doubt right now that the Texans are the third-best team in the AFC South, at best.

Section516
10-19-2010, 07:23 AM
After watching last night MNF game, there's no doubt right now that the Texans are the third-best team in the AFC South, at best.

Really? I saw a team taking advantage of a poor Jaguars team QB'd by Trent Edwards being taken advantage of.

thunderkyss
10-19-2010, 07:25 AM

I haven't seen it, but I've been saying the same thing.

Just wait till our offense starts clicking from the first snap, we'll own this league.

GuerillaBlack
10-19-2010, 07:25 AM
Really? I saw a team taking advantage of a poor Jaguars team QB'd by Trent Edwards being taken advantage of.

Same here. I'd still take us over the Titans. And Chris Johnson was shut down by the Jags D until the Titans' very last drive.

HTown2ATX
10-19-2010, 07:26 AM

Lol. Yes, foolish you. Didn't you hear, we're going to fix the secondary issues "in house". :choke:

Texan_Bill
10-19-2010, 07:28 AM

:facepalm:

:dontknowa

IDEXAN
10-19-2010, 07:41 AM
Same here. I'd still take us over the Titans. And Chris Johnson was shut down by the Jags D until the Titans' very last drive.

We can beat the Jags by 27 points in FLA ? Are you serious ?
And I saw a real "physical", very quick and athletic team last night, not that much different than that team from New-York-City that was in H-Town a couple weeks ago. How'd we do agianst those guys ? Oh yea, that's right.
And did we really trade Jason Babin for some safety who's not in the league anymore ?

GuerillaBlack
10-19-2010, 07:46 AM
And I saw a real "physical", very quick and athletic team last night, not that much different than that team from New-York-City that was in H-Town a couple weeks ago. How'd we do agianst those guys ? Oh yea, that's right.
And did we really trade Jason Babin for some safety who's not in the league anymore ?

Please don't forget that it's a divisional matchup. Look at our meetings against the Titans the past two years. Don't know why this year would be any different. And here comes the "why did we let go of Jason Babin" talk. Stuff like that happens. Why was Arian Foster undrafted? Why was Pollard let go? Why was Butler let go?

THE NFL
10-19-2010, 07:48 AM

Yet the Titans were still ahead 23 -3. So they shutdown CJ? Whats the point?

The Titans are a very good football team and it isnt just CJ. They can beat you on defense, with VY throwing the ball or Kerry Collins at QB. If you believe anything else you arent being honest.

HTown2ATX
10-19-2010, 07:50 AM

The Titans are a very good football team and it isnt just CJ. They cant beat you on defense, with VY throwing the ball or Kerry Collins at QB. If you believe anything else you arent being honest.

C'mon man. Why are you already trolling?

It's not our matchup yet between the Texans and titans.

Too early.... :kitten:

Section516
10-19-2010, 07:51 AM

The Titans are a very good football team and it isnt just CJ. They cant beat you on defense, with VY throwing the ball or Kerry Collins at QB. If you believe anything else you arent being honest.

Hey chief, whatever you say.

Way to throw your team under the bus

:wadepalm:

Texan_Bill
10-19-2010, 07:56 AM
Please don't forget that it's a divisional matchup. Look at our meetings against the Titans the past two years. Don't know why this year would be any different. And here comes the "why did we let go of Jason Babin" talk. Stuff like that happens. Why was Arian Foster undrafted? Why was Pollard let go? Why was Butler let go?

Not from me... Jason Babin sucks!! The season he's having this year can be described as "The sun shines on a dog's ass - some days"... 5 years, 5 teams and this guy was as worthless as tit on a boar hog.

Texan_Bill
10-19-2010, 07:58 AM
Hey chief, whatever you say.

Way to throw your team under the bus

:wadepalm:

You still read that dude's posts?? What are you, a masochist??

Pollardized
10-19-2010, 08:02 AM

I think this explains who THE NFL really is:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_F44TYV1FMWo/TEYikYLJXsI/AAAAAAAAATk/qRCS30AgMR4/s1600/dickwad+theory.jpg

IDEXAN
10-19-2010, 08:02 AM
Jason Babin (now leading the AFC in sacks), was always about being a
4-3 DE, not a 3-4 OLB for which Capers drafted him to play. Kubiak and Co just didn't see his potential in their defensive-scheme when they came to town, even though it was what Babin played in college and what got him drafted in the first round. But your point is well-taken about others like
Foster: "One Person's Trash is Another's Treasure".
Did I hear the announcers say that the Jags drafted DLine in each of the first 4-rounds of the last Draft ? If so, maybe the Texans should consider that strategy in next years Draft ? Seriously.

BigBull17
10-19-2010, 08:17 AM

And two other teams had him on their roster and did nothing with him. Tenn has a great dline coach, which is why their guys leave and vanish.

FirstTexansFan
10-19-2010, 08:21 AM
Would you guys stop quoting this guy? I have him on ignore for a reason... because there isn't a "kick him in the balls with every key he presses" button. Sheesh.

Mike

QFT! They do need a feature here, if enough of us neg rep an 1d10t, it bans them for life :)

But of course, if that featured existed, I wouldn't be here LOL

thunderkyss
10-19-2010, 08:22 AM

The Titans are a very good football team and it isnt just CJ. They can beat you on defense, with VY throwing the ball or Kerry Collins at QB. If you believe anything else you arent being honest.

If you're expecting us to be honest about the Titans.... you aren't being very smart.

Thorn
10-19-2010, 08:25 AM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_F44TYV1FMWo/TEYikYLJXsI/AAAAAAAAATk/qRCS30AgMR4/s1600/dickwad+theory.jpg

That's just frigging classic. LMAO.

Texan_Bill
10-19-2010, 08:27 AM

:spit:

thunderkyss
10-19-2010, 08:27 AM
4-3 DE, not a 3-4 OLB for which Capers drafted him to play. Kubiak and Co just didn't see his potential in their defensive-scheme when they came to town, even though it was what Babin played in college and what got him drafted in the first round. But your point is well-taken about others like

Babin's issue was trying to find a spot in this league. I agree, we should have kept him at DE. Even back then, our problem was poor coverage, QBs have been 3 step dropping us since Kubiak got here, and we keep trying to change things up front.

But Babin was heavy for us, and we wanted him to play bulky.... he's been around this league as an OLB, which he clearly is not a LB. He looks like he's dropped some weight, worked on his speed, and his moves.

Hervoyel
10-19-2010, 08:38 AM
Foster: "One Person's Trash is Another's Treasure".
Did I hear the announcers say that the Jags drafted DLine in each of the first 4-rounds of the last Draft ? If so, maybe the Texans should consider that strategy in next years Draft ? Seriously.

This is still pissing me off. We traded this guy and kept a bunch of tomato cans following Babin's best camp in years and we traded him for a dude who's probably running a car wash right now and then had to go draft another guy to do the exact same thing Babin was supposed to do. This kind of stuff drives me nuts about the Texans. I honestly hope to see Jason Babin knock out 10-15 sacks this year because the guy got drafted to do something he had no business doing and then was kicked to the curb instead of being used properly by the current regime.

He's the only Titan I'm cheering for.

Texanmike02
10-19-2010, 08:45 AM
This is still pissing me off. We traded this guy and kept a bunch of tomato cans following Babin's best camp in years and we traded him for a dude who's probably running a car wash right now and then had to go draft another guy to do the exact same thing Babin was supposed to do. This kind of stuff drives me nuts about the Texans. I honestly hope to see Jason Babin knock out 10-15 sacks this year because the guy got drafted to do something he had no business doing and then was kicked to the curb instead of being used properly by the current regime.

He's the only Titan I'm cheering for.

The only way I'm rooting for him to get 10-15 sacks is if they line him up at LT and he immediately turns around and tackles VY over and over and over.

Mike

Pollardized
10-19-2010, 08:48 AM
The only way I'm rooting for him to get 10-15 sacks is if they line him up at LT and he immediately turns around and tackles VY over and over and over.

Mike

I hear vince secretly likes getting tackled. It reminds him of, uh, never mind.....

IDEXAN
10-19-2010, 08:50 AM
Babin's issue was trying to find a spot in this league. I agree, we should have kept him at DE. Even back then, our problem was poor coverage, QBs have been 3 step dropping us since Kubiak got here, and we keep trying to change things up front.

But Babin was heavy for us, and we wanted him to play bulky.... he's been around this league as an OLB, which he clearly is not a LB. He looks like he's dropped some weight, worked on his speed, and his moves.
I saw Babin play for the Eagles last year in a MNF and he was very impressive as he got a sack or 2 in that game. And he was a pure pass-rush specialiats in a 4-3 like he is with the Titans now and like exactly what the texans need.
OK so I guess the Eagles released him, but so what ? I mean we need pass-rushers, why didn't the Texans approach him ? Because they're too egotistical to try to resign a guy they released or traded in the past ? Afraid to admit they made a mistake ? Didn't keep Belichick from just recently getting back a WR they dealt one time in the past.

dtran04
10-19-2010, 08:52 AM
I'm sure the Eagles, Chiefs, and Seahawks are wondering where this Jason Babin came from as well.

I always thought he was about average as an OLB (his stats were average and pretty decent for a rookie). I'm not sure why people gave him so much grief. I guess people wanted Merriman like production and didn't get it so they took it out on him.

BigBull17
10-19-2010, 08:56 AM
I'm sure the Eagles, Chiefs, and Seahawks are wondering where this Jason Babin came from as well.

I always thought he was about average as an OLB (his stats were average and pretty decent for a rookie). I'm not sure why people gave him so much grief. I guess people wanted Merriman like production and didn't get it so they took it out on him.

I give him no grief, and wish him no ill will, but it's not like he was immediately a game changing pass rusher when we ditched him. He couldn't find the field in Seattle. He did little for the Chiefs, since they broke a record low in sacks. He did a little better for the Iggles, but was still a bit player, and only now has he does something. 5 years of nada, then he picks it up. Time to get over it people.

HOU-TEX
10-19-2010, 09:01 AM
Well, if Trent Dilfer says it it must be......mmmhmmm, that's what I thought

Goatcheese
10-19-2010, 09:01 AM

Once Texanstalk fans decide they're going to hate somebody they do so with all of their heart, even if none of their brain.

In Babin's case he committed the terrible crime of having Asserly trade most of our draft to move up for him, and they pretty much never forgave him for it. So when he had an average-solid rookie campaign and then couldn't get healthy until the end of 2005 they piled on.

Even when he lead the team in sacks in 2006 he was still that guy we traded our whole draft for and was now just another Asserly bust.

Dread-Head
10-19-2010, 10:18 AM
ESS-PEN said something good about the Texans? Does that mean that anyone who dies this week should try to bring skates, parkas and skis to hell with them? :thinking: Let the Texans lose again. ESS-PEN will be off our jocks again.

eriadoc
10-19-2010, 10:22 AM
I haven't seen it, but I've been saying the same thing.

Just wait till our offense starts clicking from the first snap, we'll own this league.

I agree! The problem is, we've been waiting for that for a few years now. '08 and '09, it was the same argument. This team has had an offense that can beat anyone at any time for a few seasons now. They just haven't had a team that can beat everyone all the time, because they only show up for a half or a quarter, turn the ball over, make stupid penalties, whatever. At least this year the turnovers haven't cropped up. *knock wood*

eriadoc
10-19-2010, 10:25 AM
I give him no grief, and wish him no ill will, but it's not like he was immediately a game changing pass rusher when we ditched him. He couldn't find the field in Seattle. He did little for the Chiefs, since they broke a record low in sacks. He did a little better for the Iggles, but was still a bit player, and only now has he does something. 5 years of nada, then he picks it up. Time to get over it people.

How much of that time did he actually get to try and develop as a DE? How much contiguous time did he get at the position?

I still maintain that the Texans did a lot more to waste Babin than the other way around. No way he was worth what the team spent to get him, but he was scouted wrong from the beginning. They should have just stuck him at DE and let him develop as a DE from the beginning.

Of course, everyone the Texans "developed" back then became pure suck anyway, so it's much better for him that he left Houston.

GP
10-19-2010, 10:28 AM
You guys DO know that every team ends up releasing a guy (here and there) who then ends up doing something better somewhere else?

We're no different. I am glad he is doing well somewhere else. He just bloomed later than others have. That's no crime or fault on the Texans.

beerlover
10-19-2010, 10:38 AM
You guys DO know that every team ends up releasing a guy (here and there) who then ends up doing something better somewhere else?

We're no different. I am glad he is doing well somewhere else. He just bloomed later than others have. That's no crime or fault on the Texans.

yes but you have to admit its ironic since the Texans traded up with the Titans to select Babin, and that Tennessee essentially re-built their own defense using that 1st, another 2nd, a third & I think a 4th or 5th. Just add it to their list of A.) Bud Adams B.) Pulling the plug on Houston & moving to Tennessee C.) using almost the entire Texans 2004 draft spots D.) drafting Vince Young E.) easily our most hated rival :)

BigBull17
10-19-2010, 10:55 AM
How much of that time did he actually get to try and develop as a DE? How much contiguous time did he get at the position?

I still maintain that the Texans did a lot more to waste Babin than the other way around. No way he was worth what the team spent to get him, but he was scouted wrong from the beginning. They should have just stuck him at DE and let him develop as a DE from the beginning.

Of course, everyone the Texans "developed" back then became pure suck anyway, so it's much better for him that he left Houston.

Shocker, Capers and Casserly were freakin idiots. Sky is blue, water is wet...ect...

Brando
10-19-2010, 11:15 AM

I disagree, we are tied with the Titans and Colts as the best teams in the AFC South. The Colts and Texans are similar as they have great offenses but the defenses need help. The Titans have a great running game with a mediocre passing offense and decent defense. The Jags last night showed us who we thought they were.

Last night Gruden said that he hopes Fisher is the Titans coach for another 17 years. I say @#$% that! Dude is a great coach and I hate the Titans. He is the best coach in the AFC South until proven otherwise.

thunderkyss
10-19-2010, 12:01 PM
I disagree, we are tied with the Titans and Colts as the best teams in the AFC South. The Colts and Texans are similar as they have great offenses but the defenses need help. The Titans have a great running game with a mediocre passing offense and decent defense. The Jags last night showed us who we thought they were.

The difference with the Colts & the Texans offense, is that the Colts offense scores on a high percentage of possessions. We don't.

wagonhed
10-19-2010, 12:12 PM

Mike

hahahahaha. that was awesome.