PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys excessive celebration penalty was for Hook'em sign by Hurd

Stemp
10-18-2010, 08:08 PM
Dallas Cowboys receiver Miles Austin was kicking himself for getting an excessive celebration penalty in the 24-21 loss to the Minnesota Vikings, but it looks as though it wasn't even his fault.

Cowboys coach Wade Phillips said he talked to Carl Johnson, the NFL's vice president of officiating, and the excessive celebration penalty wasn't actually on Austin. It was on Sam Hurd.

Hurd, apparently, flashed the "Hook 'em Horns" sign like Roy Williams always does, making it a choreographed celebration deemed illegal in the rulebook. So Austin leapfrogging Williams in the end zone after his teammate's score was not deemed a problem.

An official on the field told Phillips that the penalty was on Austin. But Phillips said he called Johnson for clarification Monday morning and was told it was on Hurd.

Phillips said the team is going with "college rules" when it comes to celebration -- little or none.

"Our celebration needs to be after the game, after we win," Phillips said.

Austin still had called his leap "dumb" and said he was disappointed in himself for a push-off that resulted in a pass interference call in the second quarter, nullifying his 68-yard touchdown catch.
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=5699746

thunderkyss
10-18-2010, 08:28 PM
So, we can leap frog our teammates in a display of superior athletic ability, but we can't hold our thumb and pinkie over our heads? Because that is "too choreographed"?

I guess that belly bump knocking our teammates lard-ass to the ground is also too choreographed?

Whatever.

Lambo leap.... Yes

Wave at fans.... No.

Wolf
10-18-2010, 08:41 PM
seriously?

boy NFL really is the No fun league but they sure enjoy the "fun " dollars

There has got to be some common sense in this "celebration" thing..

someone tell me the Lambeu leap (or something like that) couldn't be deemed as some type of "choreograph" based a refs viewpoint.
(using the NFL definition here)

There is too much gray area here for the refs

infantrycak
10-18-2010, 09:03 PM
I'm not buying that at all. In fact if the head ref for the crew wants to adamantly maintain that was the reason then he needs to be suspended for a couple games for stupidity.

JB
10-18-2010, 09:07 PM
I'm not buying that at all. In fact if the head ref for the crew wants to adamantly maintain that was the reason then he needs to be suspended for a couple games for stupidity.

I'm not buying it either. Not until I hear it from the NFL. I think that is
Wade just trying to shield Austin & Williams from the media for their stupidity. Roy didn't even flash the hook-em that I saw on that play. He stood straight & still for Austin.

hobie
10-19-2010, 08:55 AM
I'm not buying it either. Not until I hear it from the NFL. I think that is
Wade just trying to shield Austin & Williams from the media for their stupidity. Roy didn't even flash the hook-em that I saw on that play. He stood straight & still for Austin.

He did it right after Austin cleared him, then his teammate did it as well....

JB
10-19-2010, 09:14 AM
He did it right after Austin cleared him, then his teammate did it as well....

Ahh. I did not see that.

silvrhand
10-19-2010, 10:11 AM
:wadepalm:

Dread-Head
10-19-2010, 10:14 AM
What were the refs Aggies? That's a BS call. I hate the Cowgirls and even I think that's BS.