PDA

View Full Version : The W that felt like an L

TimeKiller
10-17-2010, 06:54 PM
-Demeco, first off-nothing but high hopes and well wishings to one of the fan favorites. Ok, so who or how to replace him now and possibly in the near future?

-The officials are killing me this year. Seriously. That's all I'm gonna say.

-Ward is the #2 RB. Slaton is....is....is.....trade bait. There's something about Ward's game that matches the Texans O real well, I don't know what it is...he's not fast, not a violent runner....just sets up blocks and chugs into whatever space there is. :shrugs: Whatever works.

-Owen, friggin, Daniels. He's the real #2 Receiver. Andre has been pulling the wagon by himself for 5 weeks, it was nice to see OD back and looking like the player we remembered. Breaking way open and getting YAC, moving the team down the field. Save Arian/Ward a little running in between the 20s fashow.

-Pass rush=practically absent. Ability to create turnovers=nada. Defensive cohesiveness=zilch. Faith I have left in this D=Gonzo. They're really, really bad. Now fearless leader (not to mention no worse than the 3rd best defensive player) is gone. This D might actually get worse.

Norg
10-17-2010, 09:29 PM
Get rdy for a rollercoaster ride this season i can just feel it

seriously our Playoff hopes will prob come down to the last play in wk17 4th Quarter or something ... :P

gtexan02
10-17-2010, 09:37 PM
We're getting the wins that we missed out on last year. So far we've won 2 games out of 4 that we had no business winning

HTown2ATX
10-17-2010, 10:27 PM
Could not agree more with the title of the thread. I have never been so un-pumped about a W than today.

Texans played like absolute shit whole game but somehow pulled it out.

I would give them the whole moral card of "hey what a way to stick with it guys" but they used that card in DC week 2.

Also, KC actually ISN'T that good and nothing short of them making the playoffs will convince me otherwise (see 2009 Broncos). Our D made their toilet QB look like the friggin second coming of Joe Montana. Pathetic.

Texans D = Fail

:wadepalm:

I'm not gonna snap my suspenders and act like all is well when it is clearly not. Tired of fruit assed sugar coating after crap games!

Hagar
10-18-2010, 12:58 AM
Personally, I think we got lucky. Its very rare to come out with a victory when you give up 228 yards rushing.

Also, KC exposed another huge weakness of our defense ~ Run D. Everybody's been jumping up and down about our poor Pass D., well, our Run D. sucks too.

Norg
10-18-2010, 01:00 AM
If we sweep the colts will yall feel any different ????

how about going 6-0 in our divison not likely but ya know a homer can dream

Goatcheese
10-18-2010, 01:09 AM
If we sweep the colts will yall feel any different ????

how about going 6-0 in our divison not likely but ya know a homer can dream

We could go 14-2 and if they didn't score on every drive and give up 0 yards on defense there would still be "The Sky is Falling" threads every week.

JCTexan
10-18-2010, 01:19 AM
Honestly I don't care how the 'W' feels as long as they get the 'W'. Last year if they pulled one more win they would have been in the playoffs, so pulling out a win they had no business in winning is perfectly fine with me.

I'm not excusing the defense at all, but if they can somehow get it together these victories will mean a lot more come January.

imatexan
10-18-2010, 02:27 AM
Personally, I think we got lucky. Its very rare to come out with a victory when you give up 228 yards rushing.

Also, KC exposed another huge weakness of our defense ~ Run D. Everybody's been jumping up and down about our poor Pass D., well, our Run D. sucks too.

Yep 21 points in the 4th quarter is all luck :gun:

Ghostform
10-18-2010, 03:00 AM
This win did leave more to be desired. The Offense didn't show up til the 2nd half and the defense was horrendous as usual. Sure we're 4-2 but so are the Colts and the Ten/Jac winner which means theres gonna be three 4-2 teams in our division. Some will say at least we are 1-0 in the division but last year we were 1-0 in the division by week 2 but look how that season turned out. Our Offense is gonna have to show up all 4 quarters if they want to keep up the winning after the bye with this defense.

Marcus
10-18-2010, 03:13 AM
Jesus H Christ!!! Some of you need pacifiers.

HTown2ATX
10-18-2010, 08:11 AM
Jesus H Christ!!! Some of you need pacifiers.

Lol...Chris Carter says "C'MON MAN!"

What you saw looked like a playoff team right? What you saw looked like what we should have for all that talent right?

I got Kool-aid for sale and a bridge too......

THE NFL
10-18-2010, 08:25 AM
Get rdy for a rollercoaster ride this season i can just feel it

seriously our Playoff hopes will prob come down to the last play in wk17 4th Quarter or something ... :P

It will be decided WAY before week 17.

dbruder44
10-18-2010, 08:29 AM
It will be decided WAY before week 17.

Glad to see that you are still spouting your opinions as facts. Hoping your boys get rolled tonight. 130 posts and no rep, figures......

THE NFL
10-18-2010, 08:38 AM
Glad to see that you are still spouting your opinions as facts. Hoping your boys get rolled tonight. 130 posts and no rep, figures......

Nice try, but it cant be fact. It isnt week 17. Its my opinion. Just like most things written on a public forum.

You and others like you always trying to tell other people what they are or what to write or feel. Grow up little man.

BigBull17
10-18-2010, 08:48 AM
Honestly I don't care how the 'W' feels as long as they get the 'W'. Last year if they pulled one more win they would have been in the playoffs, so pulling out a win they had no business in winning is perfectly fine with me.

I'm not excusing the defense at all, but if they can somehow get it together these victories will mean a lot more come January.

This. Last year it was "I don't care if you play well, just win" This year its" Well, you won but you played like shit". It gets old. All W's look the same, all L's look the same. We have to get it together on D, but damn they made a stop when they had too. Kind of like the Colts D's, that get run on the whole game then make one stop and win. That's just who we are ATM. We need to go out and try to get a piece to fix our issues, but damn we are 4-2 at the bye week, with a W on the Colts, undefeated in the AFC, and getting our LT back. We are poised for a run. Just need to iron out a few kinks. We get our D to the 15-20 ish range and we're solid.

IDEXAN
10-18-2010, 08:51 AM
I was in Houston over the weekend and got to go to the game and all I can say is we had more points than the other team at the end of the game so it looked like a W to me. And I'll take it - I'm not proud and not about to complain about any win, any way we can get it.

HTown2ATX
10-18-2010, 08:55 AM
This. Last year it was "I don't care if you play well, just win" This year its" Well, you won but you played like shit". It gets old.

You're right. This siv like defense is getting effing old.

You really think if we played a good team we win yesterday playing like that (no, the Chiefs are not good......I'll call them good if they make the playoffs...as of now for all we know they are the 2009 Broncos. Hell, we let the Raiders back in the game when we played them.)

We play like that on MNF against Colts we win huh?

Think we win in December/January with crap like that??

Good luck man lol...

For me, personally, I'm done being satisfied with mediocrity and moral victories and a "w is a w" mentality. Guess some of us are in the minority of expecting more....

bckey
10-18-2010, 08:58 AM
We could go 14-2 and if they didn't score on every drive and give up 0 yards on defense there would still be "The Sky is Falling" threads every week.

And we could go 8-8 and even if they rarely scored until the 4th quarter of every game and gave up 400+ yards on defense every game there would still be "Everything is great and Kubiak has us on the right path" threads.

Blake
10-18-2010, 08:59 AM

Thats obviously not true.

However it is obviously a thread about how bad our defense looked all game. All season.

How can you feel good about a team that give up yards to Cassel like he is Joe Montaneya? 20/29 for 201 yards and 3 TD's 0 INT.

Gave up 228 rushing yards.

Only 1 sack on the final hail mary play.

0 interceptions.

No pass rush. No effective blitzes dialed up. Where are the turnovers?

You can call this a "sky is falling thread" but our defense is playing really really bad and whatever it is needs to be fixed before our window closes. I dont expect our offense to be able to save our defenses asses each week. Especially when we face the Ravens, Jets, Eagles, Chargers and Titans defenses.

HTown2ATX
10-18-2010, 09:00 AM
Just need to iron out a few kinks.

Like............... the entire Secondary............

I'm not trying to pick on you man, serisously not or tget on anyone's case....I forgot to add this into my last post.

I dunno, I just see it differently.

HTown2ATX
10-18-2010, 09:04 AM
And we could go 8-8 and even if they rarely scored until the 4th quarter of every game and gave up 400+ yards on defense every game there would still be "Everything is great and Kubiak has us on the right path" threads.

:goodpost:

Seriously, pointing out that the Defense sucks and we should be doing better is a "Sky is Falling" thread....... lol @ that.

:wadepalm: @ status quo love....

BigBull17
10-18-2010, 09:09 AM

You really think if we played a good team we win yesterday playing like that (no, the Chiefs are not good......I'll call them good if they make the playoffs...as of now for all we know they are the 2009 Broncos. Hell, we let the Raiders back in the game when we played them.)

Good luck man lol...

For me, personally, I'm done being satisfied with mediocrity and moral victories and a "w is a w" mentality. Guess some of us are in the minority of expecting more....

I'm over moral victories too, I like actual victories. Like yesterday. I hate that our D sucks, and it makes me mad as hell, but you know what, we are a winning team going into our bye. We need to fix it, but bad news, if we do fix anythng, it wont be the secondary. We may get a LB or a linemen, but Kubiak isn't going to bench KJ or GQ. I disagree but its the truth. Pollard to Mike, but I don't think he'll do it. I'd start Wilson and Nolan at safety. Kubiak won't do it, but I would.

HuttoKarl
10-18-2010, 09:12 AM
1. Losing DeMeco hurts and already crappy defense. I hope Sharpton's ready to play.

2. Wins is wins. I'll take a comeback win any day over an almost win. Being able to drop 21 points in a quarter on a defense that has been solid all season long is never a bad thing.

3. We need a bye right now in a bad way.

4. Really hoping for a trade this week. There are teams that could use a Slaton or a TE out there. Draft picks are currency...we can spare some.

HTown2ATX
10-18-2010, 09:14 AM
I agree with you BigBull that at leats we are a winning team/record heading into the BYE.

It's just that after that game I cannot act like all is well or just assume we will be fine. Me, you, and every other Texans fan ought to know not to assume anything from this team.

So, based on how they have played and won by the skin of their teeth this season, I don't assume positive things if everything stays the same.

Eventually crazy comebacks like in DC and yesterday stop happening.

thunderkyss
10-18-2010, 09:25 AM

Good luck man lol...

Let's worry about December/January in December/January. Heck, let's wait till November. It's not about how you play now, it's how you play in December/January.

Remember the Bengals of 2009, the Giants of 2009, the Broncos of 2009? They looked good in September & October, but fell apart in November & December.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if we were playing really well, & blowing up the NFL right now, but we're not. We're playing really poorly on both sides of the ball, but we're getting Ws.

Most of your play-off teams will be play better as the year goes on. We'll find out if we are a play-off team in November & December. I just personally don't think it makes sense to be so pessimistic about this team right now.

We know what this team can do. We have high expectations. It's not because we collectively got together & decided what this team should be able to do, it's because we've seen what this team is capable of doing.

I don't know why we're not playing to our capability, but I think we have a strong core of leaders on the team, on the field, & they'll pull it out. We'll be back to playing damn good football soon.

What I am ecstatic about, is that we are winning even though we aren't playing well. In the past, we would play well & not win. If I had to chose, I'd chose the wins. You can call it luck if you want, but I call it fortitude.

I understand we're playing the weak part of our schedule. But I think this is exactly the kind of confidence builder we need as a team. If we're playing like this when we get to our division games, or the harder part of our schedule, I don't think we'll survive.

The Cowboys are kicking ass on both sides of the ball. #2 (or something) in offense, #4 (or something) in total defense.... but they are losing.

BigBull17
10-18-2010, 09:28 AM
I agree with you BigBull that at leats we are a winning team/record heading into the BYE.

It's just that after that game I cannot act like all is well or just assume we will be fine. Me, you, and every other Texans fan ought to know not to assume anything from this team.

So, based on how they have played and won by the skin of their teeth this season, I don't assume positive things if everything stays the same.

I agree with have to fix things, and all is not rainbows and gumdrops. I'm just saying despite our flaws we age 4-2, undefeated in the AFC. That's the important part. We have to find a way to stop SOMEONE.

thegr8fan
10-18-2010, 09:36 AM
this was one U-G-L-Y, we ain't got no alibi, WIN, today. Kubiak turned the offense loose and Schaub had a beautiful day as a QB. He was 'Manning-esq' in that comeback win. 3-3 on goal to go is a new thing for this team. Lets hope that the later part of the season the Defense 'turns it on' like last year and they greatly inprove. These are the kinds of games that make a fan 'Want to Believe'.

Last year we lost games by FG's. This year we're having unbelievable comeback wins. Thats the NFL for you. Between the frustration of a missed FG and a loss, or the frustration of getting it handed to you and having a comeback 'miracle' win, I'll take the W all day long.

How many times in the past has this team lost the close one's. Better yet how many times has it maintained the lead in the division through week 7. NEVER. Seems to me like times they are a changing. And I LIKES it.

thunderkyss
10-18-2010, 10:02 AM

If that's all you're saying, then that's fine. If you're talking about "the season is over" & we need to fire somebody.....

That's where the problem is.

HTown2ATX
10-18-2010, 10:05 AM
If that's all you're saying, then that's fine. If you're talking about "the season is over" & we need to fire somebody.....

That's where the problem is.

WTH???

When did I say that?? I never did.......

Research my comments dude, I never called for anyone to be fired and never said the season is over.

Seriously, show me where I implied that in this thread. If we play like that against good teams late in the season we are cooked yes, but that is different than saying the season is over as of now.

Usually I like your posts man, but I am not getting how in the heck you are getting any of what I quoted from you from what I have said. Or is it just the fact that I am criticizing the team?
:rake:

Of course, I may be misreading what you are saying right now. If so, I apologize if I am missing some point you are trying to make.

thunderkyss
10-18-2010, 10:24 AM
WTH???

When did I say that?? I never did.......

Research my comments dude, I never called for anyone to be fired and never said the season is over.

Of course, I may be misreading what you are saying right now. If so, I apologize if I am missing some point you are trying to make.

My point isn't that you said or inferred that. Just that's it's getting harder to discern what position we are taking, because there are so many.

You are inferring that someone is happy with the team as it stands right now.

I have not seen one post from anyone that says they are happy with the way the team is playing. Not one person says that everything is fine on defense. Not one person (well, maybe me) said they have complete faith in Kubiak to fix our D before it's too late.

Most of us are posting against the "Fire somebody, fire everybody" bunch. You may be seeing, "STFU, we're 4-2 & leading the division" I don't want you (or anyone) to think that means, "I'm totally happy with this team at this point."

sandman
10-18-2010, 01:43 PM
It honestly sounds like some of you would rather have a loss to validate the crappy play.

The bottom line is that the Texans are playing other NFL teams, and despite how bad they are playing, they are still beating those other teams.

It's not being all Pollyanna about the situation, but someone said it right in a post above: last year we begged for a win of any kind, and this year we are bitching about being 4-2 because we are not being pretty about it.

No blind homerisms, because this team has a LOT of room for improvement, but Jesus H Christ some of you need to take up drinking.

HTown2ATX
10-18-2010, 01:50 PM
It honestly sounds like some of you would rather have a loss to validate the crappy play.

LOL....wow :wadepalm:

The bottom line is that the Texans are playing other NFL teams, and despite how bad they are playing, they are still beating those other teams.

With record setting horrible Defense in the most Inspector Clouseau way possible. :bender:

It's not being all Pollyanna about the situation, but someone said it right in a post above: last year we begged for a win of any kind, and this year we are bitching about being 4-2 because we are not being pretty about it.

Because this year we actually expected more?? :thinking:

No blind homerisms, because this team has a LOT of room for improvement, but Jesus H Christ some of you need to take up drinking.

Lol.....I do, just not Kool aid. :drunk:

Not trying to be overly aggressive on this man, but seriously, expecting better from a team and being a half glass empty type are 2 different things.

The briquette D we have will continue to be just that....burnt.....unless something changes ASAP.

TimeKiller
10-18-2010, 03:39 PM
lol at anyone thinking I'm unhappy about a W. That's just plain stupid. What's even stupider (yes, I know) is acting like there isn't anything that can improve or anything they could've done better in the game. Hey, we're 4-2 and if you're sitting on top of the rainbow I won't push you down. Go Texans!

I'm just a little....heart attacked? I mean they lost this game for 59:44 and won it for :16. Just so happens the timing of those :16 were unbelievably well placed.

Plus, losing Demeco on a bad D....I mean I guess it's just like stepping in the shiniest pile of shit but that hurts.

I'm just trying to say that even though it's a W the vibe is that of an L.

sandman
10-18-2010, 04:07 PM
Not trying to be overly aggressive on this man, but seriously, expecting better from a team and being a half glass empty type are 2 different things.

The briquette D we have will continue to be just that....burnt.....unless something changes ASAP.

Listen, I'm not being a "quit yer bitching and be happy with a 4-2 and the bye" kind of guy. Just saying that with two BAD, as in "we didn't come to play this game", losses, two BAD, as in "we pulled this one out of our ass at the last second", wins, and a win against the RAIDERS, we are left with ONE quality win against the Colts in Week 1. So that fact that we ARE at 4-2 makes me breathe a sigh of relief that the team can play THIS bad for this deep into the season, and the wheels haven't fallen off yet.

Does it mean that the wheels won't fall off? Does it mean that there doesn't have to be SOME kind of adjustment on the defensive side of the ball if this team is going to live up to expectations? Absolutely not. I'm not cheering the 4-2. I'm simply thankful for it.

toronto
10-18-2010, 04:53 PM
-Demeco, first off-nothing but high hopes and well wishings to one of the fan favorites. Ok, so who or how to replace him now and possibly in the near future?

-The officials are killing me this year. Seriously. That's all I'm gonna say.

-Ward is the #2 RB. Slaton is....is....is.....trade bait. There's something about Ward's game that matches the Texans O real well, I don't know what it is...he's not fast, not a violent runner....just sets up blocks and chugs into whatever space there is. :shrugs: Whatever works.

-Owen, friggin, Daniels. He's the real #2 Receiver. Andre has been pulling the wagon by himself for 5 weeks, it was nice to see OD back and looking like the player we remembered. Breaking way open and getting YAC, moving the team down the field. Save Arian/Ward a little running in between the 20s fashow.

-Pass rush=practically absent. Ability to create turnovers=nada. Defensive cohesiveness=zilch. Faith I have left in this D=Gonzo. They're really, really bad. Now fearless leader (not to mention no worse than the 3rd best defensive player) is gone. This D might actually get worse.

I'll assume you're talking about the Flowers interference call? :foottap:

infantrycak
10-18-2010, 05:03 PM
I'll assume you're talking about the Flowers interference call? :foottap:

I don't know what he was referring to but there were a number of poor officiating calls in the game. Who knows whether they affected the outcome. The PI on Jackson on 4th down was an unusual call. There was serious contact by Flowers with AJ on a 3rd down pass. I want to see it again but at the game it looked pretty clear the KC WR caught one 3rd down reception off the turf. Every game is going to have lot's of non-holding calls and one or two arguably bad calls but this seemed below average.

toronto
10-18-2010, 05:58 PM
I don't know what he was referring to but there were a number of poor officiating calls in the game. Who knows whether they affected the outcome. The PI on Jackson on 4th down was an unusual call. There was serious contact by Flowers with AJ on a 3rd down pass. I want to see it again but at the game it looked pretty clear the KC WR caught one 3rd down reception off the turf. Every game is going to have lot's of non-holding calls and one or two arguably bad calls but this seemed below average.

The refing this year has been utterly embarrassing. The league desperately needs to make all zebras permament fulltimers. There were so many bad calls that I lost track. I'm still trying to understand how the hell James Harrison wasn't flagged for stuff he's getting fined for this week.

DexmanC
10-18-2010, 08:39 PM
Taking a look at the NFL Standings:

Texans
________________________________________--
W .. L .. T .... Pct .... PF ..... PA....... Net Pts
4 ....2 ...0 .....667.... 153... ...167 ........-14

The Texans have given up 14 more points on the year than
they've scored, and have a 4-2 record. I can't BELIEVE
people are trying to get me to stare at "4-2" as if it were
a big achievement, when we have TEN GAMES LEFT.
We've spotted EVERY TEAM a MINIMUM of 24 points.

ALL EIGHT of the next eight teams we play, will take
WINS for those 24 points.

thunderkyss
10-18-2010, 08:54 PM
Taking a look at the NFL Standings:

The Texans have given up 14 more points on the year than
they've scored, and have a 4-2 record. I can't BELIEVE
people are trying to get me to stare at "4-2" as if it were
a big achievement, when we have TEN GAMES LEFT.
We've spotted EVERY TEAM a MINIMUM of 24 points.

ALL EIGHT of the next eight teams we play, will take
WINS for those 24 points.

When the team is finding ways to win, even when they aren't playing well has got to be a good thing. I understand what you are saying, we won't survive the meat of our schedule if we don't get our shit together.

But refusing to lose, regardless of the situation, that shows a mental toughness & a building of character this team has been missing.

DexmanC
10-18-2010, 09:02 PM
When the team is finding ways to win, even when they aren't playing well has got to be a good thing. I understand what you are saying, we won't survive the meat of our schedule if we don't get our shit together.

But refusing to lose, regardless of the situation, that shows a mental toughness & a building of character this team has been missing.

This team has left its guts on the field twice, at Washington and vs.
KC, and won both games. They keep pushing it, and I wonder how they'll
respond if they play "guts-to-glory" and lose.

Fact is, I don't WANT to know how they'll respond. I want to see this team
look like an NFL squad this season. They will be ignored by the media until they fix
their shit.

thunderkyss
10-18-2010, 09:06 PM
This team has left its guts on the field twice, at Washington and vs.
KC, and won both games. They keep pushing it, and I wonder how they'll
respond if they play "guts-to-glory" and lose.

Fact is, I don't WANT to know how they'll respond. I want to see this team
look like an NFL squad this season. They will be ignored by the media until they fix
their shit.

Fluck the media.

Speedy
10-18-2010, 10:57 PM
Getting W's, no matter how, is what it's all about. I don't care how the win felt or looked, it was a win. And those are hard to come by in this league.

What has already happened is great, 4-2, been in or shared 1st place every week of the season so far, but it is a long season. There's a LOT of football left and this team trots out the worst defense in football every week. This offense is not going to bail them out every week. They're not going to make up huge deficits every game and make almost miracle comebacks and win in the last seconds every game. And when the offense does have one of those bad days you're looking at 27-13 and 34-10 blowouts.

It isn't about the sky falling or drinking the cool-aid. The defense is bad and is going to lose you games you should/could win. We all know that and that's what we're all talking about. Yeah, 4-2 and 1st place is great, but don't say we're 4-2 and act like all is well because it's not. And they are just a play or two in the game Sunday and the one in D.C. from being 2-4 - easy. Fortunate so far, but with this defense the rest of the way........

The Texans were 4-2 in their last 6 games last year. A lot of football left.

JB
10-18-2010, 11:03 PM
Getting W's, no matter how, is what it's all about. I don't care how the win felt or looked, it was a win. And those are hard to come by in this league.

What has already happened is great, 4-2, been in or shared 1st place every week of the season so far, but it is a long season. There's a LOT of football left and this team trots out the worst defense in football every week. This offense is not going to bail them out every week. They're not going to make up huge deficits every game and make almost miracle comebacks and win in the last seconds every game. And when the offense does have one of those bad days you're looking at 27-13 and 34-10 blowouts.

It isn't about the sky falling or drinking the cool-aid. The defense is bad and is going to lose you games you should/could win. We all know that and that's what we're all talking about. Yeah, 4-2 and 1st place is great, but don't say we're 4-2 and act like all is well because it's not. And they are just a play or two in the game Sunday and the one in D.C. from being 2-4 - easy. Fortunate so far, but with this defense the rest of the way........

The Texans were 4-2 in their last 6 games last year. A lot of football left.

Totally agree with your post. Rep.

At the same time, re. the bolded, don't act like all is bad either. That's all I am saying.

thunderkyss
10-19-2010, 05:23 AM
It isn't about the sky falling or drinking the cool-aid. The defense is bad and is going to lose you games you should/could win.

If we are so bad, what games should/could win?