PDA

View Full Version : Amazing...and btw, we won the game.

texansdrummer
10-17-2010, 04:28 PM
If you didn't otherwise know the outcome of the game, by the reaction of this board, you could realistically only imagine that we just suffered a blowout loss.

We are 4-2 headed into the bye week and undefeated in the AFC. We also defeated the Colts on our first chance against them.

I'm not saying that everything is perfect....FAR from it, and that has been examined in other threads ad infinitum. Will we go to the SB? Unlikely. Will we not win another game all season? HIGHLY unlikely. Reality probably lies somewhere in between. Let's see what happens. If you think the coaching staff isn't going to make some serious during the bye, you are an *****. Only (the usual) people on this board would call for the coaches heads, suggest that we'll go 0-for the rest of the season....after a VICTORY.

Texans record after 6 games:

2002 1-5
2003 2-4
2004 3-3
2005 0-5
2006 2-4
2007 3-3
2008 2-4
2009 3-3
2010 4-2

Clearly now is the time to fire everyone and start over, right?

I'm surprised some of you bother to get out of bed each morning with such a negative outlook. How do you even stand yourselves?:choke:

mariowillshine15
10-17-2010, 04:33 PM
Great post.

Its great to be 4-2. Our defense isnt good right now though thats for sure.

But with the offense we have we'll be in every game.

If we can get just average defense we will make the playoffs.

TheMatrix31
10-17-2010, 04:35 PM
I'm a very pessimistic/cynical person. When I'm the one peddling optimism and rationality on message boards of my favorite sports teams, you know the internet is a ****ed up place.

mattieuk
10-17-2010, 04:38 PM
Whatever.

Any true fan knows that 4-2 is only 4 losses from being 0-6.

:sarcasm:

Wolf
10-17-2010, 04:41 PM
I am happy we won but not ecstatic and jumping for joy

I blame the Texans for that.. I get pumped before the game, but when the Texans start out uninspired and unemotional , it is hard for me to sustain the energy.(well I am watching it by myself) I guess I feed off of how they play :worldpeace:

props to the crowd at reliant.. they stayed pumped all the way through and props to the Texans offense for not letting the score get too far away (early) and keeping the crowd in the game

:texflag:

hradhak
10-17-2010, 04:44 PM
After listening to 610 coming back from the game, you'd have thunk we lost the game.

We've been bad for so long we don't know what to do when we win. Our default is to complain. Let's just sit back and enjoy the victory. We can talk about the deficiencies and what changes we need to make later.

Big Lou
10-17-2010, 04:47 PM
I have never turned a game off, ever. However today was the first time I almost did. In the third I was done, I didn't even want to watch the monday night game, I was so pissed, but I hung on and they won.

However now that DR is out it looks bad. This Defense has talent so why can't that stop anything????

I can't take this roller coaster of franchise any more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ziggy29
10-17-2010, 04:47 PM
This Defense has talent so why can't that stop anything????

Talent + lack of execution = coaching.

Wolf
10-17-2010, 04:48 PM
After listening to 610 coming back from the game, you'd have thunk we lost the game.

We've been bad for so long we don't know what to do when we win. Our default is to complain. Let's just sit back and enjoy the victory. We can talk about the deficiencies and what changes we need to make later.

the defense got taken to the woodshed..

giving up 228 rushing yards and made Cassell look like Joe Montana with 122.9 QB rating.

LikeMike
10-17-2010, 04:51 PM
The thing why Im not thrilled for this 4-2 start is, that everyone and their mother can throw on our secondary. This team won`t go anywhere if they don`t improve...

So why are we still 4-2 and beat the Colts? Because other than the secondary this team is scary good. Sure, a stud DT would help, but our D-line is alright... not good, but good enough to get us where we need to go. Our DEs and linebackers are spectacular... Offense? Sure a stud OL men or two would help, but they are doing a good job... QB, HB, WRs, TEs... all up there with the best of them in the league.

If we can fix our secondary and maybe bring in a shutdown corner, I truly believe this team can get to the superbowl. Right now Im looking at a nail biter for a playoff spot.

Scooter
10-17-2010, 04:54 PM
fire somebody! everybody! pink soap! LOUD NOISES!!!

oh, we won?

Goatcheese
10-17-2010, 04:56 PM
the defense got taken to the woodshed..

giving up 228 rushing yards and made Cassell look like Joe Montana with 122.9 QB rating.

Looked more like David Carr circa 2006; completing everything but mostly for short gains.

It was the running game that destroyed the defense. It nearly averaged more YPA than their passing game.

6.3 yards per pass play is definitely not looking like Joe Montana.

Rey
10-17-2010, 04:57 PM
I'll never complain about a win, but it's hard to consider this team a legit post season threat when the defense is so terrible, and when we are playing so bad at home.

Ecstatic about the win, but not happy about a lot of little things that happened during the game.

Wolf
10-17-2010, 05:03 PM
Looked more like David Carr circa 2006; completing everything but mostly for short gains.

It was the running game that destroyed the defense. It nearly averaged more YPA than their passing game.

true, I was just going by 3 tds and no ints and with a really really good QB rating

Rey
10-17-2010, 05:05 PM

No, David Carr would dump balls off to his running backs...

Very seldom would he utilize TE's or the middle of the field...

Big difference between checking it down to a RB and picking a part the under belly of a defense.

And Cassel had some good down field throws as well..

Hervoyel
10-17-2010, 05:07 PM
I'm going on record as saying this thread/first post is the reason why people say statistics don't tell the entire story. If you looked at the shiny "4-2" you would be thinking we're finally making some serious headway.

If you actually watched the games you would be reacting like a lot of us around here right now. We've got some problems here on defense that aren't going to fix themselves. The bye week couldn't come at a better time but I don't believe that Frank Bush & Co. can get this straightened out in two weeks. We need play makers and need them badly. For 5 weeks most of the world believed that the Texans could stop the run, if not the pass. The reality has been seeping in around the edges ever since week 2 but we've been in denial mode. We stopped the Colts who can't run but let Peyton carve us up so Washington, Dallas, Oakland, and New York all chose to focus on our sorry secondary. Kansas City doesn't have much of a passing game and just exposed our run defense for the feces it is.

Now everybody who can anything will feed on us in the coming weeks. We might just eek out a sweep of the Colts if they aren't any better at stopping the run than they were in week one but after Arian Foster has a big day in Indy it's going to get real ugly real fast.

ziggy29
10-17-2010, 05:07 PM
Maybe some of the frustration is the realization that it's usually defense that wins championships, and this team has very little of it.

Still, 4-2 after six games is as good as anyone could have reasonably expected. And if you told me that the Texans would be 4-2 despite being 31st in the league in total defense, 31st in scoring defense and dead last in passing defense by a wide margin, I'd say you were on something.

Rey
10-17-2010, 05:11 PM
I'm going on record as saying this thread/first post is the reason why people say statistics don't tell the entire story. If you looked at the shiny "4-2" you would be thinking we're finally making some serious headway.

If you actually watched the games you would be reacting like a lot of us around here right now. We've got some problems here on defense that aren't going to fix themselves. The bye week couldn't come at a better time but I don't believe that Frank Bush & Co. can get this straightened out in two weeks. We need play makers and need them badly. For 5 weeks most of the world believed that the Texans could stop the run, if not the pass. The reality has been seeping in around the edges ever since week 2 but we've been in denial mode. We stopped the Colts who can't run but let Peyton carve us up so Washington, Dallas, Oakland, and New York all chose to focus on our sorry secondary. Kansas City doesn't have much of a passing game and just exposed our run defense for the feces it is.

Now everybody who can anything will feed on us in the coming weeks. We might just eek out a sweep of the Colts if they aren't any better at stopping the run than they were in week one but after Arian Foster has a big day in Indy it's going to get real ugly real fast.

This.

And with the loss of Demeco, I don't see it getting better this season unless the Texans makes some trades real fast.

I really can't put my finger on exactly why the defense is so terrible, but my eyes won't be deceived by a 4-2 record. Love the fact that we are doing so well, but I'm hoping the team won't be as complacent as some of the fans seem to be.

GP
10-17-2010, 05:12 PM
This win is the bone we get thrown for all the other times we get torched and look like crap.

It is what it is.

It's getting to watch a dirty movie when your wife is out of town for a week. Yeah, you're livin' the high life. :whatever:

I mean, seriously guys...this was Redskins game version 2.0 For every comeback win like that, expect the Texans to take a vacation on the next two games or so.

Our defense is THE worst. How will that change? I'm thinking it doesn't get fixed this year. And I'm trying to be optimistic about it. I really am. I['m just sayin'...this win (while nice for today) is like a sip of water in the desert: How you gonna' get 30 more miles down the path on a sip of water?

So basically all our games will be (a) Us blowing out teams like we did the Colts? Yet remember this: The Colts almost came back. And so did the Raiders! (b) Us getting blown out and NEVER really having a chance to win: Like the Cowboys and Giants games. or (c) The old Comebacker win, throwing us onto blood pressure meds by the time the game is over.

Three choices, from my standpoint. Yay, we won! Now what? LOL.

hradhak
10-17-2010, 05:13 PM
The defense doesn't look good, there's no question. We have a bye to make some adjustments, get some guys back who were injured, and retool the defense. And we're still 4-2 right now.

Porky
10-17-2010, 05:14 PM
LOL at this thread. This team today reminds me of a patient that comes in to the Dr with a bullet hole in his head, and the Dr puts a band aid on it and calls the patient cured. Ya we won. Against a team we should beat at home. Whopee friggin do. Why don't we have a parade down friggin Fannin. Would that make you happy.

I said earlier that the ownership not only accepts mediocrity, they embrace it. Reading this thread makes me realize a large percentage of this fanbase feels the same way. So, when all is said and done and we are + or - one game of 500 again, go ahead and throw a damn party for all I care.

And this D is not bad. Bad would be a major improvement. If there aren't MAJOR changes made, whether that be in personnel, scheme, coaching, or all of the above...this team has NO chance of making the postseason. NONE. Nada. Zero. Zilch.

So, go ahead and celebrate all you like and the offense did a good job pulling this one out of their ass, but when the KC Chiefs wipe their ass with the remains of the carcasses of the defense, something is seriously wrong.

burro
10-17-2010, 05:14 PM
This is mostly because we didn't really have any business winning this game. Some poor decisions on the part of KC and a bit of luck is why we won today.

That said a win is a win and I give major props to the offense for being able to keep us alive today, Schaub deserves credit - I just hope he can keep it up. AJ was a beast as usual. Foster had a decent day, but it seems like the league has figured out how to play him, hopefully in the future we get a little more inventive with him, but then again; new stuff really isn't Dennison's cup of tea. I don't want to talk about the defense until tomorrow because I believe in celebrating victories - even the ugly, wtf ones.

:fans: Texans FTW!

texansdrummer
10-17-2010, 05:21 PM

With all due respect, most of the "Negative Nellies" are using Matt Cassel's stats, the rushing defense stats, etc. in their defense. Those stats, certainly don't tell the entire story. I'd argue that the stat that matters most is the number of wins, and today, we won. In year's past, there's no way we win a game like this. Yes, we've got problems...BIG ones. Every team has problems- we've managed to go 4-2 so far, let's at least see what happens instead of writing of the season after a win.

2slik4u
10-17-2010, 05:25 PM
If you didn't otherwise know the outcome of the game, by the reaction of this board, you could realistically only imagine that we just suffered a blowout loss.

We are 4-2 headed into the bye week and undefeated in the AFC. We also defeated the Colts on our first chance against them.

I'm not saying that everything is perfect....FAR from it, and that has been examined in other threads ad infinitum. Will we go to the SB? Unlikely. Will we not win another game all season? HIGHLY unlikely. Reality probably lies somewhere in between. Let's see what happens. If you think the coaching staff isn't going to make some serious during the bye, you are an *****. Only (the usual) people on this board would call for the coaches heads, suggest that we'll go 0-for the rest of the season....after a VICTORY.

Texans record after 6 games:

2002 1-5
2003 2-4
2004 3-3
2005 0-5
2006 2-4
2007 3-3
2008 2-4
2009 3-3
2010 4-2

Clearly now is the time to fire everyone and start over, right?

I'm surprised some of you bother to get out of bed each morning with such a negative outlook. How do you even stand yourselves?:choke:

Thank God! I thought I was the only person that felt this way.

Its amazing how many things people ***** about after a win. Everyone knows about the problems but the fact remains we are 4-2.

Rep. Well said.

texansdrummer
10-17-2010, 05:28 PM
LOL at this thread. This team today reminds me of a patient that comes in to the Dr with a bullet hole in his head, and the Dr puts a band aid on it and calls the patient cured. Ya we won. Against a team we should beat at home. Whopee friggin do. Why don't we have a parade down friggin Fannin. Would that make you happy.

I said earlier that the ownership not only accepts mediocrity, they embrace it. Reading this thread makes me realize a large percentage of this fanbase feels the same way. So, when all is said and done and we are + or - one game of 500 again, go ahead and throw a damn party for all I care.

And this D is not bad. Bad would be a major improvement. If there aren't MAJOR changes made, whether that be in personnel, scheme, coaching, or all of the above...this team has NO chance of making the postseason. NONE. Nada. Zero. Zilch.

So, go ahead and celebrate all you like and the offense did a good job pulling this one out of their ass, but when the KC Chiefs wipe their ass with the remains of the carcasses of the defense, something is seriously wrong.

I don't recall any suggestions of a parade down Fannin. I even agreed/suggested we have BIG problems. What the @$%@ are you looking at? I guess some of you are inclined to exaggerate things.

I guess there's no reason for you to post on this board for the rest of the season, since you're clairvoyant.

Dutchrudder
10-17-2010, 05:30 PM
At least we aren't the Cowboys...

Talk about bad coaching doing nothing with talent.

Goatcheese
10-17-2010, 05:39 PM
What is funny to me is these same people complained last year that it didn't matter that we played some great football if we came up short. It's all about the "W"s. They repeatedly attacked anyone who talked about the positive play of the Texans in a loss.

Now we don't look great but come away with them "W"s and all they can do is whine, piss and moan about how we don't look good and it doesn't matter how many of those previously all important "W"s we have.

Wolf
10-17-2010, 05:41 PM
I don't recall any suggestions of a parade down Fannin. I even agreed/suggested we have BIG problems. What the @$%@ are you looking at? I guess some of you are inclined to exaggerate things.

before today against the powerhouse offense of the chiefs
per NFL.com our defense was
27.8 points per game (31st) (we gave up 31 today)
YDS per game 410.5 (32nd)( we gave up 417 today)
PASS YDS 306.2 (32nd) (we gave up a net of 189 today)
RUSH YDS104.3 (13th) (we gave up 228 today)

when one is pretty much last in the league in defense. I am not sure Porky could exaggerate too much

:thinking:

or maybe I expect more

Wolf
10-17-2010, 05:42 PM
What is funny to me is these same people complained last year that it didn't matter that we played some great football if we came up short. It's all about the "W"s. They repeatedly attacked anyone who talked about the positive play of the Texans in a loss.

Now we don't look great but come away with them "W"s and all they can do is whine, piss and moan about how we don't look good and it doesn't matter how many of those previously all important "W"s we have.

I am happy about the win, but I am baffled by the teams uninspired play at home

texansdrummer
10-17-2010, 05:58 PM

when one is pretty much last in the league in defense. I am not sure Porky could exaggerate too much

or maybe I expect more

The "exaggeration" to which I was specifically referring, was "parades on Fannin" for this win, as well as "we should fire the coaches because we're 4-2".

I expect more, just as you do. I just see the glass as half-full (and not full or overflowing/"Parades on Fannin" for beating the Chiefs) vs. shattered.

buddyboy
10-17-2010, 06:01 PM

Last year people claimed we were better than our 9-7 record; that many of the losses we suffered were close and we always had a good chance of winning. The answer was always, "who cares, a loss is a loss."

Let's enjoy 4-2. Sure, it hasn't been pretty, but ugly winning is better than pretty losing.

ObsiWan
10-17-2010, 06:21 PM
Last year people claimed we were better than our 9-7 record; that many of the losses we suffered were close and we always had a good chance of winning. The answer was always, "who cares, a loss is a loss."

Let's enjoy 4-2. Sure, it hasn't been pretty, but ugly winning is better than pretty losing.

Agreed.
We're 4-2. The worse we can be in the division standings is tied for first.
The Cowpies are 1-4
How can anyone be unhappy with that??

Hervoyel
10-17-2010, 06:37 PM
With all due respect, most of the "Negative Nellies" are using Matt Cassel's stats, the rushing defense stats, etc. in their defense. Those stats, certainly don't tell the entire story. I'd argue that the stat that matters most is the number of wins, and today, we won. In year's past, there's no way we win a game like this. Yes, we've got problems...BIG ones. Every team has problems- we've managed to go 4-2 so far, let's at least see what happens instead of writing of the season after a win.

I'm glad we won the game and I'm not feeling one bit apologetic about the crappy pass interference call that kept that drive alive either. I feel for KC fan but I've been on the receiving end of those often enough to know that they're going to happen no matter who's playing and I'm just happy to be on the non-fecal end of the stick for a change.

But I digress, yes it's cool that we're 4-2 and I can even see a possible future where we sniff the rare air of 5-2 if we can replicate the first Indy game performance but after that?

San Diego at home in a game we should win but are perfectly capable of losing because we can't handle being 5-2 and sweeping Indy (should that actually happen)

Then? Murderers row. 5 road games in our last 8, we failed to take advantage of the sweetest part of our schedule so we get

@ Jacksonville, play us tough every time.
@ New York (Jets), No contest, it will be the Giants game all over again.
vs Tennessee, play us tough every time.
@ Philadelphia, Vick? I don't even want to imagine what he does to our D.
vs Baltimore, Flacco carves us up hopefully Schaub survives.
@ Tennessee, just like above but up there.
@ Denver, Orton feasts on our D
vs Jacksonville, We'll be out of it (playoffs) so expect us to win this one.

I want to be positive but with the Texans that's not easy.

silvrhand
10-17-2010, 06:39 PM

Listen I'm glad to be 4-2 but I'm not happy with how we are hanging on to these games by our teeth..

We have a seriously tough upcoming 6 game streak, and none of them are looking pretty the way we are playing..

2slik4u
10-17-2010, 06:44 PM

This. Rep.

Hervoyel
10-17-2010, 06:44 PM
“We’ve got to tackle better, we’ve got to cover better, we’ve got to do everything better,” Houston coach Gary Kubiak said. “We’re really struggling. The key right now is we’ve got to play really big offensively as a team.”

Trust me Gary, the way your playing right now IS really offensive in a big way.

Ranger Tom
10-17-2010, 07:05 PM
I'm not mad about the Texans being 4-2, I'm mad about the Texans having one of the worst defenses (if not the worst ever) in the history of the NFL. It's only the quality of the offense that keeps this team alive. It's like Texas Tech was under Mike Leach--before he finally found a new defensive coordinator.

Giant Tiger
10-17-2010, 08:26 PM

Agreed... I'd rather be 4-2 getting those wins by the skin of our teeth & getting blown out by 20+ during losses; than be 3-3 & competitive in every game.

Lucky
10-17-2010, 08:43 PM
That's true. And many of the fans who are saying "What's the problem, we're 4-2" were spouting what the Texans record could have been. If they knew how to win close games. These Texans could be 2-4. They're not. They are 4-2. Maybe, they are learning how to win close games. Maybe they are learning how to play 4 quarters. If there is a silver lining, that's probably it.

Weve got to tackle better, weve got to cover better, weve got to do everything better, Houston coach Gary Kubiak said. Were really struggling. The key right now is weve got to play really big offensively as a team.
At least Gary's not sugar coating this.

The Texans were on a pace to become one of the NFL's worst defenses ever, after 3 games in 2009. They turned it around. Can the Texans defense make a similar turnaround, this season? I don't know. What I do know is that if the turnaround doesn't occur, 4-2 and atop the AFC South will look like fool's gold by the end of the season.

Wolf
10-17-2010, 08:50 PM
I am wondering if was Kubiak live or did they just play clips from previous weeks (when talking about the defense)

:tease:

Porky
10-17-2010, 08:52 PM
By all rights, this team ought to be 2-4. And we can talk about being happy about being a very lucky 4-2 with the easiest part of the schedule behind us, or we can be realistic in assessing this teams chances going forward.

Kubes is clueless on how to fix this mess, and this mess lays right at his and Rick Smith's feet. Kareem Jackson is so bad that he makes Fred Bennett look like a combination of Deion Sanders and Jack Tatum. Yet, they tossed aside two FAR better corners in Dunta and Reeves. Yes, #25 is that bad. He shouldn't be playing. Period.

Beyond that, every single phase of the game is worse this year over last, save for the running game which is significantly improved. And that is the one saving grace.

The only way to have a chance at the playoffs...and it's a longshot is to try to grind out long drives, eat up clock and keep the opposing O off the field. So far, that has only been his formula against the Colts. We shall see moving forward how this plays out, but if you ask me right now, I'm thinking 9-7 would be on the high side of victories at year end.

Scooter
10-17-2010, 09:23 PM
yeah, that or we take a 4-2 record into the by week with time to get healthy and address the problems we're having defensively. we had great penetration against the run today but didnt finish plays. teams know our defensive holes and tendancies. both things that can worked with an additional week of study and adjustment.

ofcourse the sky could be falling, and according to porky that acorn is already sprouting roots (which i'm assuming is deja vu from week 3 last season), but i'll take the win and wait to see where we stand later in the season before proclaiming anything.

hradhak
10-17-2010, 09:38 PM
The crappy tackling by the defense seems to be fixable. We get penetration and just don't finish the plays. A lot of our defensive failures today was just poor tackling.

I hate the, we should be 2-4 etc etc. We're not 2-4, we're 4-2 and you can complain all you want that this team sucks, etc. but we won this game today. The Chiefs didn't give it to us. Yes our defense wasn't spectacular, but when they needed to, they made a stop. The offense stepped up and played well.

We're so used to losing, we can't even recognize that our team finally has playmakers, and is actually good. Sheesh, enjoy the victory for once.

TheMatrix31
10-17-2010, 09:59 PM
What are you people talking about "easiest part" of the schedule? We played 3 NFC East teams, the team that's ****ing owned us in the regular season, the Chiefs who, by the way, were the last remaining unbeaten team before last week, and the Raiders. Realistically, the Raiders game should have been the only "gimme" game and even that one was tough because the Raiders are a gritty-type team.

I don't get what you people are talking about.

San Diego looks like a shell, Denver has serious issues, we owe the Jets massive payback, the Titans haven't been mindblowingly impressive and neither have the Jaguars.

Stop acting like life is ****ing over. We'll end up 9-7 to 11-5, just like we thought.

Jeez.

/rant off

jshabang
10-17-2010, 10:00 PM
4-2 is awesome.........but look how we won a couple of these games......

washington and chiefs.....2 teams in transistion who dont know how to win yet.....so we got the best of new coaches and a team full of kids who dont know how to win yet....ok good...we are supppose to do that and i will take it

now i look at the remaining schedule....hell guys we come off the bye facing colts who are licking there chops to get back at us....and we know most of this season kubiak has not kept his team together and focused after a win......we usually lose after a gutcheck win under kubiaks regime

so my point is Im ecstatic at our 4-2....think its great

all our redskins chiefs type games where we have an advantage on them because they dont know how to win is gone on our remaining schedule...with maybe the exception of denver and thats a big maybe

we wont win these type of games on a colts, chargers, jets, ravens, titans twice, jags twice

TheMatrix31
10-17-2010, 10:21 PM
So you're going to get on the team for winning tight games when, even though I wasn't around before, I could tell you got on the team for NOT winning the tight ones? Cool.

ObsiWan
10-17-2010, 10:27 PM
4-2 is awesome.........but look how we won a couple of these games......

washington and chiefs.....2 teams in transistion who dont know how to win yet.....so we got the best of new coaches and a team full of kids who dont know how to win yet....ok good...we are supppose to do that and i will take it

now i look at the remaining schedule....hell guys we come off the bye facing colts who are licking there chops to get back at us....and we know most of this season kubiak has not kept his team together and focused after a win......we usually lose after a gutcheck win under kubiaks regime

so my point is Im ecstatic at our 4-2....think its great

all our redskins chiefs type games where we have an advantage on them because they dont know how to win is gone on our remaining schedule...with maybe the exception of denver and thats a big maybe

we wont win these type of games on a colts, chargers, jets, ravens, titans twice, jags
twice

There was a time, not very long ago, that I would have said that we wouldn't have come from double-digits behind - in the fourth qtr - to win any game. But we have.
Twice.
So I refuse to say our guys "won't win" ANY game against any team.
But you go right ahead.

Scooter
10-17-2010, 10:42 PM
to reach the infamous (in dex's sig) 5-7 we'll have to go 1-5 over the next 6 games ... not going to happen.

we're already 1-0 in the division, and went 1-5 last season ... that number will improve.

we have our best record through 6 games in franchise history with a bye week to get healthy and fix our problem areas.

every season we start out with the "worst defense ever" but something eventually clicks to climb back up the ranks. is there any reason that this season is different?

this forum really should be amped about what we're able to do coming out of the bye than complaining about what we've done going in.

jshabang
10-17-2010, 10:49 PM
There was a time, not very long ago, that I would have said that we wouldn't have come from double-digits behind - in the fourth qtr - to win any game. But we have.
Twice.
So I refuse to say our guys "won't win" ANY game against any team.
But you go right ahead.

thats fine we all have opinions....Im just terrified to spot teams 14 points and expecting to come back ALL THE TIME.....scares the bejesus outta me.....I know this is the NFL......alll teams are GOOD....and as some point its gonna come back and bite us right in the ass

I just wish that kubiak as a coach could somehow get that offense that SHOWS UP when we are 21 points behind to come out at kickoff......somehow he cant seem to make that happen until our backs are against the wall.....i just wonder why?

GP
10-17-2010, 10:51 PM
Nobody turns up their nose at a win. Nobody.

The debate here, IMO, is over how long do you enjoy the win before you realize that THAT game is over and now you face another game (even if it IS two weeks away) and which Texans team shows up? For Freaking Monday Night Football...at the Colts, who will be looking to avenge their loss at Reliant?

What's the deadline on enjoying today's win?

For me, it was about 10 minutes after we won it.

For some people, they have a 24-hour period. Or until 8 a.m. Monday, I suppose.

Big damn deal. Next? LOL.

GP
10-17-2010, 10:53 PM
IIRC, the Jets lit up the league last year in the early part of the season and then they began to hit skid row toward the end..getting into the playoffs because a certain team laid down like a female dog and let them in.

It can happen again. These "darling" Jets, right now, look unstoppable. But things change over time.

It's possible that they dog it and we find our groove on defense somehow.

Just using the two teams as examples of how things look great, then can go almost horribly wrong at a moment's notice. And things can look bad, and then get vastly better during that same stretch of time. It's the NFL. It happens. And in fact, some teams we face (in the future) might start sleeping on us during their weekly prep for the game against the Texans...and that's when the defense finds its swagger. It can happen. Maybe. Maybe not.

I just won't be holding my breath. The slow starting Texans offense, and then the hurricane comeback performances are fun (but maddening).

TexCanada
10-17-2010, 10:55 PM

The debate here, IMO, is over how long do you enjoy the win before you realize that THAT game is over and now you face another game (even if it IS two weeks away) and which Texans team shows up? For Freaking Monday Night Football...at the Colts, who will be looking to avenge their loss at Reliant?

I think I was about 20 minutes. Maybe 15.

Kimmy
10-17-2010, 10:57 PM
I think I was about 20 minutes. Maybe 15.

Mine was before the game was over :texflag:

Pantherstang84
10-17-2010, 10:58 PM
Mine was before the game was over :texflag:

Me too.

thunderkyss
10-17-2010, 11:53 PM

Good post Herv. Think about the alternative. We could have the #2 offense in the league, the #4 defense, & be 1-4 like the Cowboys. Would you feel better about that?

Last year, that's exactly where we were. We kicked everybodies butt (except the Jets) & lose it on the last play of the game.

Fumble, INT, Pass Interference, roughing the passer, snowball... & we couldn't win the games we dominated.

I don't think anyone started the season thinking we would dominate any team on the second half of the season.

I don't know how we're going to fix the defense. The offense is spotty. I don't know if we are a running team, or a passing team.

But what I do know, is that we can win any game this year, whether we play great or not-so-great. I wish, I wish I could see 6 games on our remaining schedule that would be easy wins.

But I can't. But... that's why we love this game.

Norg
10-17-2010, 11:59 PM
2nd half of our season is mostly Divison games a thing Kubes needs to get better at

THe jags and colts swept us last year

The jags are like Dallas& redskins

No matter how good or sucky we are and vise versa the Jags are going to be like going into WW3 same with the TItans

thunderkyss
10-18-2010, 12:12 AM
This.

And with the loss of Demeco, I don't see it getting better this season unless the Texans makes some trades real fast.

I really can't put my finger on exactly why the defense is so terrible, but my eyes won't be deceived by a 4-2 record. Love the fact that we are doing so well, but I'm hoping the team won't be as complacent as some of the fans seem to be.

Wow.....

It's not easy to have an internet discussion about certain issues. No one is satisfied with our defense. I doubt anyone would be upset if our F.O. did something in the next two weeks to help the situation, acquire more players.

Most of the "STFU we are 4-2" post are not about standing pat, & not fixing the defense. It's more about the pink soapers wanting to fire the head coach when we're leading the division for the first time ever.

Especially when those people harped on the W-L record being the "only thing that mattered" even though our offense was rated top 5 & our defense was rated top 10 in 2009. Kubiak sucks, because we didn't get to the play-offs & all that crap.

Now, the table's flipped. We are not a top 5 offense, & we're second to last on defense. But we're 4-2, leading our division, undefeated in the AFC. Every one of them most likely predicted we would lose the Dallas & Giants games anyway. They probably thought we would lose the Colts game & be 3-3 at best (considering the Brian Cushing Suspension, probably 2-4) going into the bye.

Make no mistake, no one is happy with our defense. No one is happy with our on again, off again offense (other than it looks like they may be back to the 2009 offense plus a running game, but it's too early to tell).

thunderkyss
10-18-2010, 12:16 AM
This win is the bone we get thrown for all the other times we get torched and look like crap.

It is what it is.

It's getting to watch a dirty movie when your wife is out of town for a week. Yeah, you're livin' the high life. :whatever:

I mean, seriously guys...this was Redskins game version 2.0 For every comeback win like that, expect the Texans to take a vacation on the next two games or so.

This is exaclty how the Colts won the last 4 out of 5 games against us.

That's 2 games they won in this fashion in 2009 & 2008.

It's a win, lets move on.

thunderkyss
10-18-2010, 12:26 AM

or maybe I expect more

so what does that say about a team that have at least 4 wins with very similar stats?

I've got to imagine having a little more want to than the other team. That's a good thing isn't it? I mean all this not being prepared to play & crap... that's 4 teams we were "obviously" more prepared to play..... It definitely isn't our good play, or our coaching.

Imagine that "want to" with last years production on both sides of the ball. I don't know how we are going to get there. But since we are talking about the same guys, I believe we should be able to get close to that production.

imatexan
10-18-2010, 01:22 AM

If you can't enjoy wins and especially exciting wins like this one what is the point of being a fan?

I sure know that I live for games like today and ones like this on a larger scale in the near future.

DexmanC
10-18-2010, 04:23 AM
to reach the infamous (in dex's sig) 5-7 we'll have to go 1-5 over the next 6 games ... not going to happen.

You DO know, we won our first division game last year, too. Lost
5 straight division games. After Kubiak was smiling big and
shaking hands at Buffalo with a 5-3 record, the Texans went on
to lose four straight games (ALL DIVISION GAMES) to wind up 5-7.

Never let this team surprise you in its ability to lose. This team is
one game better than last year at this same point-in-time. The toughest
teams on this schedule will be played in the next EIGHT-CONSECUTIVE-GAMES.

The moment of truth hasn't occured, yet. It's right on-tap. The next
eight games are all teams the Texans never, or have rarely, beaten (ALL AFC GAMES.)
Get through that stretch, and you just might have yourself a believer.

DexmanC
10-18-2010, 05:16 AM
If you can't enjoy wins and especially exciting wins like this one what is the point of being a fan?

I sure know that I live for games like today and ones like this on a larger scale in the near future.

If playing this style of ball gets the Texans 12 wins, I'm sure everyone
(including myself), will be ecstatic. However, I'm also sure most people
believe (including myself) this style of ball will get the Texans killed. The
next 8 games are full of teams that will take a win if you spot them 24 points.
4-2 is nice, but there are ten games left.

jshabang
10-18-2010, 06:50 AM
If playing this style of ball gets the Texans 12 wins, I'm sure everyone
(including myself), will be ecstatic. However, I'm also sure most people
believe (including myself) this style of ball will get the Texans killed. The
next 8 games are full of teams that will take a win if you spot them 24 points.
4-2 is nice, but there are ten games left.

exactly correct dexman...this is my point

Hervoyel
10-18-2010, 08:22 AM
thats fine we all have opinions....Im just terrified to spot teams 14 points and expecting to come back ALL THE TIME.....scares the bejesus outta me.....I know this is the NFL......alll teams are GOOD....and as some point its gonna come back and bite us right in the ass

I just wish that kubiak as a coach could somehow get that offense that SHOWS UP when we are 21 points behind to come out at kickoff......somehow he cant seem to make that happen until our backs are against the wall.....i just wonder why?

We're the new "Cardiac Kids" and since Gary calls them "kids" all the time there's another angle to it that works as well.

HuttoKarl
10-18-2010, 08:24 AM
I have never turned a game off, ever. However today was the first time I almost did. In the third I was done, I didn't even want to watch the monday night game, I was so pissed, but I hung on and they won.

However now that DR is out it looks bad. This Defense has talent so why can't that stop anything????

I can't take this roller coaster of franchise any more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I turned off the Giants game...it was well worth turning off.

2slik4u
10-18-2010, 08:30 AM

eight games are all teams the Texans never, or have rarely, beaten (ALL AFC GAMES.)

I agree with although I will tell you.....I was not only ecstatic but completely surprised that we made it thru the first 4 game stretch at 3-1 with out Cushing. I was expecting 2-2 but they came out to play.

Thorn
10-18-2010, 08:40 AM
Some of you folks need to take a damn pill or something. Just because some of us criticize the defense doesn't mean we don't love this team and want it to win a Super Bowl. You know folks, there's a happy medium here somewhere. The ****ing sky is NOT falling, and we are far from being the best team in the NFL.

meh......it's gonna be a long two weeks, isn't it?

Mr teX
10-18-2010, 09:09 AM
The fact that we're finding ways to win these close games says to me that this team is growing & last year we failed too many times in the exact same situation.

Another thing that the naysayers aren't looking at is the quality of opponents we've beaten which most have been pretty good teams. All but 2 of them have .500 or better records.

Sure, the chiefs may not know how to win yet but they were 3-1 & i think everyone believes they are legit. The redskins are looking like they could compete for the division or a wildcard spot at the very least & we all know what indy brings to the table.

Our guys have found a way to win those close games that we would've lost even 1 year ago...i think that's something we can hang our hat on.

GP
10-18-2010, 10:16 AM

Re-read my post.

You're not even trying to understand what I typed. And here I am, again, having to spell it out for you.

Everyone is different. Did you catch that? I know it's complicated. And it's Monday. You're probably still on a high after that huge win we had yesterday. So I understand if it takes you until Friday to understand.

thunderkyss
10-18-2010, 10:20 AM
Some of you folks need to take a damn pill or something. Just because some of us criticize the defense doesn't mean we don't love this team and want it to win a Super Bowl. You know folks, there's a happy medium here somewhere. The ****ing sky is NOT falling, and we are far from being the best team in the NFL.

meh......it's gonna be a long two weeks, isn't it?

& some people need to understand that though some of us are happy that we are 4-2, we don't believe we can get to the play-offs if we continue to play this way.

thunderkyss
10-18-2010, 10:21 AM
The fact that we're finding ways to win these close games says to me that this team is growing & last year we failed too many times in the exact same situation.

Another thing that the naysayers aren't looking at is the quality of opponents we've beaten which most have been pretty good teams. All but 2 of them have .500 or better records.

Sure, the chiefs may not know how to win yet but they were 3-1 & i think everyone believes they are legit. The redskins are looking like they could compete for the division or a wildcard spot at the very least & we all know what indy brings to the table.

Our guys have found a way to win those close games that we would've lost even 1 year ago...i think that's something we can hang our hat on.

& that's all there is to it right now.

GP
10-18-2010, 11:10 AM
Really there's not very many teams right now who are playing lights-out ball every game.

My list of those teams is short:

Jets, Ravens, and iffy on Steelers and Giants.

Everyone else is a world beater one week and a chump the next week. With the Chargers being one of the worst around at this sort of thing.

So if the Texans somehow clear their brain of the fog, and we somehow get even a basic improvement on defense (somehow!) we can be OK. I loathe the very thought of the Jets game and the Ravens game, though.

We got fed to the NFC East and to the Jets and Ravens. Yikes. That's a pretty stout schedule in my eyes. I sure do miss the NFC West.

imatexan
10-18-2010, 02:42 PM
Re-read my post.

You're not even trying to understand what I typed. And here I am, again, having to spell it out for you.

Everyone is different. Did you catch that? I know it's complicated. And it's Monday. You're probably still on a high after that huge win we had yesterday. So I understand if it takes you until Friday to understand.

Nice to see you showing your arrogance.

Everyone is different? NO WAY! I had no idea! Obviously everyone is different and I was stating my opinion, just like you did until you decided to act like you are better than me and insult me.
I never call anyone out like this but since you decided to take this route, I have no problem calling it like it is.

I don't have to explain my reasoning because you said it yourself "For me, it was about 10 minutes after we won it".
My same statement applies, I PERSONALLY would hate to only enjoy a win for 10 minutes and then start to worry about the next game.

I don't care how "well respected" you are on here or whatever(you do make some great posts), get off of your high horse and realize I was just responding to what you were saying. Does not mean I was correct, nor does it mean you are.

Corrosion
10-18-2010, 11:04 PM
This.

Its a combination of things but it starts with a poor scheme.

When's the last time you saw a Texans DB chuck a reciever at the LOS .... they just give them a free release. You've got 5 yards .... Use it to disrupt the timing of the route. Rather they line up 8 yards off when its 3rd and 5 ....

They are expecting Ok0ye to be the force in the middle of the DL .... He's not a guy who can collapse a pocket and command a double team. He has to get by people rather than thru them. When he cant get by them , he's getting pushed around. This is allowing opposing QB's to be comfortable in the pocket and step up to avoid pressure while the DE's get washed right on by and of the play.

Combine that with the free release the recievers get and you have trouble but it doesnt end there.

There is one more problem. They get beat in the soft spots of the zones far too much. They arent playing the proper depth which leaves the zone too soft. They get eaten alive between the LB's and CB's and again between the S and CB's.

That in a nutshell is whats wrong with this defense.

GP
10-19-2010, 10:24 AM
Nice to see you showing your arrogance.

Everyone is different? NO WAY! I had no idea! Obviously everyone is different and I was stating my opinion, just like you did until you decided to act like you are better than me and insult me.
I never call anyone out like this but since you decided to take this route, I have no problem calling it like it is.

I don't have to explain my reasoning because you said it yourself "For me, it was about 10 minutes after we won it".
My same statement applies, I PERSONALLY would hate to only enjoy a win for 10 minutes and then start to worry about the next game.

I don't care how "well respected" you are on here or whatever(you do make some great posts), get off of your high horse and realize I was just responding to what you were saying. Does not mean I was correct, nor does it mean you are.

You do care how much I am well-respected on here, which is why you chose to make reference to how respected I am on here. I never threw my rep points in your face. But since you want to talk about it, let's do it: I have a lot of rep points. It means people like what I offer, or at least they like it about 2,000 times more than they like your stuff. How's THAT for arrogance?

You chose to pick a fight about the length of time a person takes to "enjoy the win." That sort of post is why you don't have a lot of rep points. It lacks anything of substance. It's just running your mouth.

I have a busy life. I choose to treat wins and losses the same: Within a few minutes of enjoying the win or being angry about the loss, I'm well on my way to thinking of other things...especially the next game.

You said you didn't know how a fan could do that. To what degree you meant it really does not matter to me. This is a message board, and so we won't always know the full context or meaning on what someone is saying.

Keep chopping wood. :delrio:

imatexan
10-19-2010, 03:21 PM
You do care how much I am well-respected on here, which is why you chose to make reference to how respected I am on here. I never threw my rep points in your face. But since you want to talk about it, let's do it: I have a lot of rep points. It means people like what I offer, or at least they like it about 2,000 times more than they like your stuff. How's THAT for arrogance?

You chose to pick a fight about the length of time a person takes to "enjoy the win." That sort of post is why you don't have a lot of rep points. It lacks anything of substance. It's just running your mouth.

I have a busy life. I choose to treat wins and losses the same: Within a few minutes of enjoying the win or being angry about the loss, I'm well on my way to thinking of other things...especially the next game.

You said you didn't know how a fan could do that. To what degree you meant it really does not matter to me. This is a message board, and so we won't always know the full context or meaning on what someone is saying.

Keep chopping wood. :delrio:

Are you REALLY bragging of "rep" points on a message board!?
I am sorry that your life is so sad that having rep points on the internet makes you think that you have accomplished something and that it gives you some special privileges and the rite to put others down.
Congrats man, you have made 4X as many posts as me and have many more "rep" points, isn't that just great!? Also at no point did I "pick a fight", you decided to be an ass and I responded to that.

Just because I ACTUALLY don't have the time to write a novel as you sometimes do and make tons of posts does not mean anything. It means that you spend more time and effort from your life on this message board.
I love coming on the message board to talk about the Texans and see what people have to say but at the end of the day it is just a message board on the internet and you need to realize that.

So have fun with all your rep points and your internet glory:tiphat:

Corrosion
10-19-2010, 04:33 PM
I got a better idea , Imagine this -

Obama , Pelosi , Reid , Palin ,Gov Good Hair and Bill White .... Freeway - Rush Hour Football.

GP
10-19-2010, 10:53 PM
Are you REALLY bragging of "rep" points on a message board!?
I am sorry that your life is so sad that having rep points on the internet makes you think that you have accomplished something and that it gives you some special privileges and the rite to put others down.
Congrats man, you have made 4X as many posts as me and have many more "rep" points, isn't that just great!? Also at no point did I "pick a fight", you decided to be an ass and I responded to that.

Just because I ACTUALLY don't have the time to write a novel as you sometimes do and make tons of posts does not mean anything. It means that you spend more time and effort from your life on this message board.
I love coming on the message board to talk about the Texans and see what people have to say but at the end of the day it is just a message board on the internet and you need to realize that.

So have fun with all your rep points and your internet glory:tiphat:

YOU mentioned my rep points (how special I am and how well-respected I am, and so on and so forth), you troll.

Go back to your life under a cobblestone bridge.

I've fed you enough already.

thunderkyss
10-19-2010, 11:01 PM

I respect you GP

:kitten:

HJam72
10-19-2010, 11:20 PM
I respect you GP

See, GP even has lots of girlfriends. :)

thunderkyss
10-19-2010, 11:23 PM
See, GP even has lots of girlfriends. :)

:headhurts: GP's a dude?????

GP
10-19-2010, 11:28 PM
I respect you GP

I'm one of the Five Families of Rep.

This is Hell's Kitchen, and I'm the chef.

imatexan
10-20-2010, 04:31 AM
YOU mentioned my rep points (how special I am and how well-respected I am, and so on and so forth), you troll.

I've fed you enough already.

Never mentioned your rep points fool, I guess you can't read.

I am here to talk about my Texans so take your negativity and stupidity elsewhere, I am not going anywhere just because one "texans fan" feels threatened over the internet...troll.

Thorn
10-20-2010, 06:02 AM
If this is what it's going to be like over the bye week, I may go back to hanging out at the Star Trek board for a while.

Goatcheese
10-20-2010, 06:05 AM
If this is what it's going to be like over the bye week, I may go back to hanging out at the Star Trek board for a while.

And they said the Texans players couldn't handle winning. Just look at the fans! :worldpeace:

Corrosion
10-20-2010, 06:22 AM

Im goin back to the NSZ until further notice

DexmanC
11-21-2010, 11:18 PM

You can call me a prophet like Nat Turner. Looks like everything is going
down exactly like I said it might.

Hervoyel
11-21-2010, 11:27 PM
You can call me a prophet like Nat Turner. Looks like everything is going
down exactly like I said it might.

Right here, right now I'm getting nervous about seeing that 5th win.

Would 4-12 demand change enough to wake McNair up?

thunderkyss
11-22-2010, 02:10 AM
Right here, right now I'm getting nervous about seeing that 5th win.

Would 4-12 demand change enough to wake McNair up?

Would 10-6 change your mind?

GNTLEWOLF
11-22-2010, 02:15 AM
Would 10-6 change your mind?
I would change my mind with reservations if we went 10-6

DexmanC
12-03-2010, 10:51 AM

That's EXACTLY what happened. We are 1-5 in
the last SIX GAMES.

Kubiak needs to http://i51.tinypic.com/2w4xjqu.jpg

PockyAF
12-03-2010, 11:09 AM

No, you'd have thunk we lost another season.. Now all the folks saying 'well, who cares how we won that game, atleast we got the victory' can now understand how the non-homer posters was truly feeling after that KC game. Any Texans fan who's been watching this POS of a team seen this film, and know this script words-by-words by the end of week 6. It's the same shit every year.

We all knew this was going to happen. The Giants beatdown at home was the game that put us in our Coffin, the Chiefs beatdown for the first half was the final nails to the coffin; when we realized our defense was irreparable until the off-season. The Colts, Jags, NYJ games were the maggots that feed off our tasteless body, eliminating hope that we could resurrect as zombies and wreck havoc on mere mortals.

I feel bad for anyone who took the TEN game as a resurrection, and resurgences. Now, can we all just finally focus on the draft? We're a little delayed from the usual Houston Texans traditions of Mid-Season draft talks.

Double Barrel
12-03-2010, 11:19 AM

Hey, uhhh, could you please tell me what numbers are not going to win the lottery? :winky:

KA4Texan
12-03-2010, 12:14 PM
Hey, uhhh, could you please tell me what numbers are not going to win the lottery? :winky:

Maybe it isnt being reverse psychic, maybe they just didnt see us getting even 1 more win?:truck:

I would like to know what happened to this "seeing great things" Bob promised.... when was it, just before the titans game?