PDA

View Full Version : Oh no, not DeMeco

TEXANS84
10-17-2010, 01:27 PM
Prayers everything is ok. Things can't get any worse.

The Cush
10-17-2010, 01:36 PM
The cart is usually a dooming sign but I'm hoping they used it on him just to get him to the locker room faster since it was about to be half time

beerlover
10-17-2010, 01:38 PM
kinda looked like Owen Daniels last year if Buffalo, just went down planting his foot all on his own.

Goatcheese
10-17-2010, 01:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s

CloakNNNdagger
10-17-2010, 02:08 PM
He was grabbing towards his ankle. That's why I immediately discounted a knee injury and thought ankle. When you pop an Achilles, you feel like your shot in the back of you ankle or lower most posterior leg.

He will receive an MRI to determine the extent.

If it's a complete tear..............surgery..........and a long rehab.

It it's a partial tear..............cast/boot..........long rehab........and if heals..........high risk of re-injury.

awtysst
10-17-2010, 02:16 PM
He was grabbing towards his ankle. That's why I immediately discounted a knee injury and thought ankle. When you pop an Achilles, you feel like your shot in the back of you ankle or lower most posterior leg.

It it's a partial tear..............cast/boot..........long rehab........and if heals..........high risk of re-injury.

So basically if it is a tear of any kind we are looking at a long rehab.

Are there any other potential issues outside of a tear that would be better?

Corrosion
10-17-2010, 02:20 PM
Thats an injury the Texans could ill afford .... Not only does it take one of their best players off the field but they only had 4 LB's in uniform for todays game ...

CloakNNNdagger
10-17-2010, 02:36 PM
So basically if it is a tear of any kind we are looking at a long rehab.

Are there any other potential issues outside of a tear that would be better?

Not really. The best case scenario is that he has VERY limited MICROTEARS that he demonstrated pain with, and he was taken out for purposes of confirmation and prevention of further tearing if present. In this case he may be treated conservatively for a few weeks. This is not a very likely scenario.

If he has suffered a complete tear, we will hear about surgery scheduled WITHIN a week.

BTW........MOST Achilles tendon tears are COMPLETE.

eriadoc
10-17-2010, 03:15 PM
The worst defense in the history of the NFL just got worse. Brace yourself for the rest of the season.

phantom17
10-17-2010, 03:17 PM
I think I need cardiac meds after this season!!!!:choke:

Thorn
10-17-2010, 03:17 PM
The worst defense in the history of the NFL just got worse. Brace yourself for the rest of the season.

If we lose DeMeco for the year, yeah, it's not going to be pretty. The offense will have to score 40 points a game to win.

Maddict5
10-17-2010, 03:18 PM
achilles is nearly always a season ender... big loss but time for sharpton to step up

phantom17
10-17-2010, 03:21 PM
Man! It seems like alot of players goes down with injuries every week! I think we need to start a- FIRE the strengh coordinator (need pink soap)!:choke:

TheMatrix31
10-17-2010, 03:22 PM
Definitely a pyrrhic victory.

jaayteetx
10-17-2010, 03:23 PM
Thing is, it sure looked like the refs blew that call on the third down conversion that kept that drive going, our defense shouldn't have even been on the field when DeMeco got hurt. I could be wrong, but it sure looked like it hit the ground to me.

b0ng
10-17-2010, 03:24 PM
Damn, even though we won, we are so hosed if DR is out for the rest of the year.

TheMatrix31
10-17-2010, 03:26 PM
He's out for the year. Official, via Twitter.

jaayteetx
10-17-2010, 03:27 PM

twitter is the official announcement these days?

imatexan
10-17-2010, 03:28 PM

This could be HUGE :(

We all saw how our D looked without Demeco, we need him!

TheMatrix31

Houston Texans HoustonTexans

DeMeco Ryans is done for the year. He tore his Achilles. 7 minutes ago via web

....yes

J_R
Done for the year. Torn Achilles. Surgery upcoming

Maddict5
10-17-2010, 03:29 PM
kubiak just said hes done for the yr in presser

LikeMike
10-17-2010, 03:30 PM
Oh boy... can`t the Texans ever catch a break... when will Sharpton be back?

ziggy29
Oh boy... can`t the Texans ever catch a break...
You don't really want an answer to that, do you?

Dutchrudder
This X 1 million.
http://kittensmewmew.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/fuuuuuuuuu.jpg

CloakNNNdagger
10-17-2010, 03:31 PM
achilles is nearly always a season ender... big loss but time for sharpton to step up

For partial tears, we typically treat them nonsurgically. If the foot and ankle are immmobilized in a cast with the toes point down for at least 8 weeks the torn Achilles tendon can heal. You do avoid the potential surgical complications. But, there is a is a higher re-rupture rate (~5-7%) with cast treatment. Ultimately, the player is left with less pushing-off strength and less endurance when compared to tendons that have been surgically repaired.

For complete tears, the route is virtually always surgical, and always for athletes.
A major advantage of early repair of the Achilles tendon is that it offers a lower re-rupture rate ~3%, a greater chance of returning to play, with ultimately greater strength and more endurance. However, wound complications such as tear through of the repair and infection and if so can be very serious. The overall complication rate of surgically treated Achilles tendon ruptures is approximately 20%. Problems with wound healing remain the most common and most difficult to manage given the empirically poor circulation of this tendon.

Barring any complications, most operative rehab consists of a cast for 2 weeks, then a removeable cast-boot for about 12 weeks after surgery. It usually takes 6 months after surgery before players can return to play. Keep in mind, this does not include time required to return to true football conditioning and form.

JamesBill
10-17-2010, 03:35 PM
It was already reported he will have surgery so it seems obvious he is done for a while.

CretorFrigg
Done for the year? :thinking:

Is Zac Diles going to move over to MLB now? Who will play WLB?

It's tough to imagine our defense without DeMeco. We're already getting murdered with the short quick passes in the middle of the field. Our offense needs to step it up even more now.

alphajoker
This sux and that's all I have to say about that.

SAMURAITEXAN
Like this tread's title, not DeMeco!!!!

Tailgate
10-17-2010, 03:36 PM
So whats the deal with Sharpton? That dude ever coming back or is he another Molden?

awtysst
10-17-2010, 03:36 PM

If he can get surgery done this week, what kind of rehab/return time are we looking at? Should we consider looking for another Mike LB for next year? Will his quality of play be affected upon return or is this a nagging injury which may affect the rest of his career.

wagonhed
10-17-2010, 03:38 PM
http://www.gasstationnearme.com/images/Effects-Of-Nuclear-Explosion.jpg

Lucky
10-17-2010, 03:39 PM
Unless it's debunked by Wiki or Snopes.

I'd say this ends all Texans hopes. But the defense stunk with Ryans. Stinking without him should be a piece of cake.

TheMatrix31
10-17-2010, 03:41 PM
Unless it's debunked by Wiki or Snopes.

I'd say this ends all Texans hopes. But the defense stunk with Ryans. Stinking without him should be a piece of cake.

Our run defense didn't stink, until today.

But you're right. Losing DeMeco, who's support is critical, who's presence is everywhere......its devastating.

Fox
10-17-2010, 03:41 PM
Demeco's one of those guys who doesn't always make the flashy highlight reel plays, but then you watch the Chiefs RB's waltzing through the heart of our defense after he's taken out and you realize he is the lynch pin holding the front 7 together. Here's hoping he has a successful recovery. Adibi and/or Sharpton need to get healthy over the next 2 weeks, because Nixon leaves much to be desired.

awtysst
10-17-2010, 03:44 PM
For partial tears, we typically treat them nonsurgically. If the foot and ankle are immmobilized in a cast with the toes point down for at least 8 weeks the torn Achilles tendon can heal. You do avoid the potential surgical complications. But, there is a is a higher re-rupture rate (~5-7%) with cast treatment. Ultimately, the player is left with less pushing-off strength and less endurance when compared to tendons that have been surgically repaired.

For complete tears, the route is virtually always surgical, and always for athletes.
A major advantage of early repair of the Achilles tendon is that it offers a lower re-rupture rate ~3%, a greater chance of returning to play, with ultimately greater strength and more endurance. However, wound complications such as tear through of the repair and infection and if so can be very serious. The overall complication rate of surgically treated Achilles tendon ruptures is approximately 20%. Problems with wound healing remain the most common and most difficult to manage given the empirically poor circulation of this tendon.

Barring any complications, most operative rehab consists of a cast for 2 weeks, then a removeable cast-boot for about 12 weeks after surgery. It usually takes 6 months after surgery before players can return to play. Keep in mind, this does not include time required to return to true football conditioning and form.

So, essentially he should be back to play in 6 months and will have another 3-4 months beyond that to get into "game shape."

ANd that of course is if the season starts on time.

CretorFrigg
10-17-2010, 03:45 PM
Our run defense didn't stink, until today

Our run defense didn't stink until today because everyone has a passing clinic against us. Why run when you can pass for 400 yards? That has always been Achilles heel (no pun intended). The teams we play against game plan around our deficiencies. Their focus coming into the game is to probably pass.

HJam72
10-17-2010, 03:47 PM
For the most part, we still have a good run D. We just faced an awesome ground game. It's the automatic completed first down on every pass play that is killing us. Hard to believe we beat the freakin' Colts.

jshabang
10-17-2010, 03:47 PM
I dont know.....our defense is the worse in the NFL....it was the worse with demeco in there..........I dont think it can get much worse......just my humble opinion....its not like with demeco in there we were tearing up the league and i dont remember seeing him in on alot of game changing plays

but still it hurts to lose a player like demeco....i just feel our problems were bigger than him....but its pretty obvious our linebackers wasnt a problem we had to worry about that we know have to worry about becuz of solidness

TheMatrix31
10-17-2010, 03:48 PM
Our run defense didn't stink until today because everyone has a passing clinic against us. Why run when you can pass for 400 yards? That has always been Achilles heel (no pun intended). The teams we play against game plan around our deficiencies. Their focus coming into the game is to probably pass.

Well, then the Chiefs should have passed all day.

DerekLee1
10-17-2010, 03:57 PM
Well, then the Chiefs should have passed all day.

When your QB has a passer rating of 53 for the season, even against a weak passing defense, you don't throw the ball.

m5kwatts
10-17-2010, 03:58 PM
Darryl Sharpton - STEP YOUR GAME UP AND GET READY

HJam72
10-17-2010, 04:02 PM
IMHO, and I know this isn't the most respectful thread or time to be saying it, but DeMeco's play has steadily dropped from great his rookie season to mediocre anyway. Sorry, but that's just how I feel about it. The guy is still alright, but he sure doesn't impact games the way he used to. Biggest problem is our lack of LBs.

TheMatrix31
10-17-2010, 04:04 PM
IMHO, and I know this isn't the most respectful thread or time to be saying it, but DeMeco's play has steadily dropped from great his rookie season to mediocre anyway. Sorry, but that's just how I feel about it. The guy is still alright, but he sure doesn't impact games the way he used to. Biggest problem is our lack of LBs.

I must wholeheartedly disagree. And that's all I gotta say about that.

CloakNNNdagger
10-17-2010, 04:05 PM
So, essentially he should be back to play in 6 months and will have another 3-4 months beyond that to get into "game shape."

ANd that of course is if the season starts on time.

That's of course barring the 20% complication rate.

DexmanC
10-17-2010, 04:15 PM
Demeco is the captain of THE WORST DEFENSE IN THE NFL.

If he was going to get hurt, THIS would be the year. ANY improvement
in the play of the defense, will be better without Demeco in 2010.

See ya in 2011, Demeco.

MEGA SWATT
10-17-2010, 04:20 PM
Wow, sorry to here that DeMeco.

I hope we can figure out how to bring our D into some form of respectability.

No more injuries - sheesh!!!!!:gun:

nero THE zero
10-17-2010, 04:26 PM
We've now lost Tate, Barwin, and DeMeco for the year because of ankle injuries. Schaub and AJ have also been hobbled by bum ankles.

Seems very odd.

TheMatrix31
10-17-2010, 04:33 PM
We've now lost Tate, Barwin, and DeMeco for the year because of ankle injuries. Schaub and AJ have also been hobbled by bum ankles.

Seems very odd.

Well, DeMeco is an achilles.

TheMatrix31
10-17-2010, 04:34 PM

See ya in 2011, Demeco.

Christ Almighty.

Ryan
10-17-2010, 04:34 PM
Damn Demeco, my thoughts and prayers are with you for a speedy recovery. You always have given your all for this team, hopefully we can play the rest of this season well in your honor for your outstanding leadership and play.

GP
10-17-2010, 04:39 PM

Seems very odd.

Diles fell down on the field today, several times, with nobody around him.

I am beginning to wonder if Bill Belichick was right when he railed agaist our field when Welker went down last season?

I mean, that field is not exactly the best. It hasn't exactly been lauded as a great field surface. The turf looked dull and dry to me, but maybe the TV cameras were not color-balanced correctly due to the bright sunshine.

All I am saying is that these lower body joint problems are dubious.

GP
10-17-2010, 04:41 PM
I must wholeheartedly disagree. And that's all I gotta say about that.

I agree with hjam.

Even before his injury today, his game vs. The Chiefs was awful. He was arm-tackling (and doing a damn poor job of it, by the way).

Time for Sharpton (unless he's hurt too, which I wouldn't doubt it). Time to bring back some guys and try some more out.

Big Lou
10-17-2010, 04:42 PM
Un-flipping-believable. Why do the football gods hate us so much.

We're screwed.........

So now we need to sign more LB's, is it gonna be Hixon or Sharpton starting next week?

At least DR got paid, every player I've seen with Achilies issues never really come back worth a crap. So we go from having LB as a position of strength to crap..........

Nawzer
10-17-2010, 04:42 PM
Well that's a bummer...Wish him a full recovery. It would be bittersweet if we made our first playoff appearance this year without the leader of this defense.

Maddict5
10-17-2010, 04:48 PM
Christ Almighty.

the ignore button is your friend in situations like this

TimeKiller
10-17-2010, 05:00 PM
Tate- 2nd round pick
Barwin- 2nd round pick
Ryans- 2nd round pick

I'm just sayin....if Matt Schaub counts as a 2nd round pick he's double screwed.

Dear Satan,
I just like to know, what's the damn deal? I mean can't you give us a break?
Come on man...

Signed,
Texans Fans

PS.
<^> (*.*) <^>
Right here buddy.

Sorry Meco. Maybe drop 15 pounds and come back as the WLB. I think his days as the MLB are done, no way he can keep up speed/agility/size with a repaired achilles. He'd be a hell of an upgrade over Diles. I think Cushing was the one who took over and I gotta say, I'm TOTALLY glad it wasn't Mario.

Marcus
10-17-2010, 05:03 PM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

The injury situation on this team is not any better, or worse, than any of the other 31 teams.

I challenge anyone to come up with some stats to prove me wrong. Each of the 32 teams' injury reports are not that hard to find.

SAMURAITEXAN
10-17-2010, 05:14 PM

See ya in 2011, Demeco.

Are you serious? Any improvement or not on our D, there is no good year to be injured PERIOD.

CloakNNNdagger
10-17-2010, 05:19 PM

Seems very odd.

Well, DeMeco is an achilles.

The Achilles tendon's lower portion is attached to the heel bone. The most common site of rupture is within 1 to 1.5 inches from this insertion, right at the level of the ankle (see below). This injury is a result of extreme resistance forces against the movement of the foot at the ankle (pushing the foot downward under resistance, as in push offs). Technically you would consider this an ankle injury.

http://www.empowher.com/files/ebsco/images/si55551636_105433_1.jpg

SAMURAITEXAN
10-17-2010, 05:22 PM
The Achilles tendon's lower portion is attached to the heel bone. The most common site of rupture is within 1 to 1.5 inches from this insertion, right at the level of the ankle (see below). This injury is a result of extreme resistance forces against the movement of the foot at the ankle (pushing the foot downward under resistance, as in push offs). Technically you would consider this an ankle injury.

http://www.empowher.com/files/ebsco/images/si55551636_105433_1.jpg

Doc, how long usually takes to heal? Would you be able to come back 100%?

Scooter
10-17-2010, 05:27 PM

i'm definitely not doc, but didnt odom from the bengals suffer the same injury this time last season? odom started this season but doesnt appear to be back to form, atleast looking at his stat line.

CloakNNNdagger
10-17-2010, 05:41 PM

Seems very odd.

I'm STRONGLY beginning to believe that improper footwear may be a factor in this slew of ankle injuries.

Shoes may increase or decrease your risk for ankle sprains. Some researchers theorize that certain types, such as high-top basketball shoes, may increase proprioceptive feedback from the ankle joint. There is also some evidence that shoes offer some resistance to the excessive range of motion in the ankle[. There was a study that was done of over 10,000 recreational/elite basketball players to determine some ankle sprain risk factors. In a questionnaire distributed to players who had suffered an ankle sprain they asked several questions about shoes including: cut (high, mid, low-top), cost, brand/model, and condition (good, fair, poor). When they noticed a high frequency of players wearing more expensive shoes also suffered ankle injuries they looked at other commonalities in the high priced shoes. The most common feature of these shoes was the presence of air cushions in the heel portion of the shoe. From this research they conclude that these air cushions increase the likelihood of an ankle sprain. The same is felt to be true for shoes with energy return systems. There are four key features of a shoe that will help limit ankle injury. These are lateral (side-to-side) stability, torsional (twisting) flexibility, cushioning, and traction control. The most significant of these features is traction control. Among football players, cleat length and design has been linked to an increase in ankle injuries. The increased traction increases foot fixation. This foot fixation increases the vulnerability of all of the lower joints of the leg, in particular, the ankle.

Not adjusting different footwear to different field surfaces/conditions will be indepent factors. Believe it or not, players not tying up the shoe laces properly or tight enough can readily cause these injuries wearing the correct shoe.

CloakNNNdagger
10-17-2010, 05:45 PM

After surgical repair, football player return to play has been approximately 90%. Return to preinjury performance has been noted at closer to 80-85%. Demeco should be able to show us his level of return by 9-12 months post repair.

nero THE zero
10-17-2010, 05:51 PM
That makes sense Cloak, and when considering GP's point about the turf, it could be possible that our players are wearing longer spikes to compensate for the nature of our field, leading to their injuries.

Though, we must consider the nature of each injury.

AJ was injured in Washington, so his injury is a non-issue.

Barwin was injured by a teammate, the turf/footwear was inconsequential.

But, Tate and Ryans both injured their ankles with minimal/no contact at Reliant.

I'm not sure how/when Schaub injured his ankle.

So, 2, possibly 3, of the 5's injuries could be directly related to footwear/playing surfaces. I don't know if that's cause for concern or not.

ObsiWan
10-17-2010, 05:54 PM
I'm STRONGLY beginning to believe that improper footwear may be a factor in this slew of ankle injuries.

Shoes may increase or decrease your risk for ankle sprains. Some researchers theorize that certain types, such as high-top basketball shoes, may increase proprioceptive feedback from the ankle joint. There is also some evidence that shoes offer some resistance to the excessive range of motion in the ankle[. There was a study that was done of over 10,000 recreational/elite basketball players to determine some ankle sprain risk factors. In a questionnaire distributed to players who had suffered an ankle sprain they asked several questions about shoes including: cut (high, mid, low-top), cost, brand/model, and condition (good, fair, poor). When they noticed a high frequency of players wearing more expensive shoes also suffered ankle injuries they looked at other commonalities in the high priced shoes. The most common feature of these shoes was the presence of air cushions in the heel portion of the shoe. From this research they conclude that these air cushions increase the likelihood of an ankle sprain. The same is felt to be true for shoes with energy return systems. There are four key features of a shoe that will help limit ankle injury. These are lateral (side-to-side) stability, torsional (twisting) flexibility, cushioning, and traction control. The most significant of these features is traction control. Among football players, cleat length and design has been linked to an increase in ankle injuries. The increased traction increases foot fixation. This foot fixation increases the vulnerability of all of the lower joints of the leg, in particular, the ankle.

Not adjusting different footwear to different field surfaces/conditions will be indepent factors. Believe it or not, players not tying up the shoe laces properly or tight enough can readily cause these injuries wearing the correct shoe.

I'm confused (no news there, right); if shoe height is so critical, then what does taping the ankles do?

PockyAF
10-17-2010, 05:59 PM
This sucks.

'Meco been solid against the run and made a couple of 3rd and short plays, especially some at the goal-line. Other than that, he's been porous in pass D, like the rest of our D. He's will be missed on D for his leadership and his smarts. He was great at relaying plays and getting our defensive guys to line up right. Hopefully Diles/Sharpton will step up and wear the green sticker with chivalry.

By the way, to whoever knocked Smith on taking an ILB with the 4th this past draft, looks like he knew what he was doing after all. Coincidence or psychic? You decide.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Sharpton can do if he take over as our middle LB. He looked real good during the preseason games.

CloakNNNdagger
10-17-2010, 06:02 PM
That makes sense Cloak, and when considering GP's point about the turf, it could be possible that our players are wearing longer spikes to compensate for the nature of our field, leading to their injuries.

But, Tate and Ryans both injured their ankles with minimal/no contact at Reliant.

So, 2, possibly 3, of the 5's injuries could be directly related to footwear/playing surfaces. I don't know if that's cause for concern or not.

FedEx Field is grass. Oakland Coloseum is grass. Keep in mind that type of grass and condition of field can require change in footwear.

Scooter
10-17-2010, 06:11 PM
I'm confused (no news there, right); if shoe height is so critical, then what does taping the ankles do?

i'm also confused. in some ways it seems like more support such as taping and proper shoe fitting to prevent over-extension is important, and others such as too much "grip" from cleats dont allow for enough natural extension or create improper bends.

gameday bourbon, being confused is par for the course lol.

JB
10-17-2010, 06:13 PM
i'm also confused. in some ways it seems like more support such as taping and proper shoe fitting to prevent over-extension is important, and others such as too much "grip" from cleats dont allow for enough natural extension or create improper bends.

gameday bourbon, being confused is par for the course lol.

Yes! That's how I roll! :D

SAMURAITEXAN
10-17-2010, 06:31 PM
After surgical repair, football player return to play has been approximately 90%. Return to preinjury performance has been noted at closer to 80-85%. Demeco should be able to show us his level of return by 9-12 months post repair.

Thank you for your info Doc.

silvrhand
10-17-2010, 06:40 PM
I don't see how anyone that says losing Demeco isn't going to make a difference.. Anyone want to run the #'s on what the yard per carry was before and after that?

SAMURAITEXAN
10-17-2010, 06:49 PM
i'm definitely not doc, but didnt odom from the bengals suffer the same injury this time last season? odom started this season but doesnt appear to be back to form, atleast looking at his stat line.

Scooter, thanks for info and yes Odom had a similar injury If I recall correctly.
Not to take away anything from Odom but, didn't he had a career year before he suffered injury? 8 sacks in 6 games right? Although you may be right on Odom, don't scare me. Because right now, I am praying DeMeco will be able to come back 100% next year.

False Start
10-17-2010, 07:08 PM
I don't see how anyone that says losing Demeco isn't going to make a difference.. Anyone want to run the #'s on what the yard per carry was before and after that?

No doubt. This would be like losing Schaub, and having to play.....Dan O, or Leinart. :rake:

wagonhed
10-17-2010, 08:13 PM
ugh. this really sucks. shit.

Norg
10-17-2010, 08:20 PM
Ughhhh why does the football GODS HATE US !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im telling u its the astrodome Curse !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just looking at the picture right now i know we will fight hard but in reality WE are so screwed

i know this team tho has to much pride to pack it in tho !!!!!!!!

gtexan02
10-17-2010, 08:22 PM

To be fair, Odom is a push rushign specialist who was having a strangely productive year last season. His entire success is based on a quick first burst off the line.

A guy like Demeco, who has never relied on speed and burst, should have a much easier time coming back from an achilles injury I would assume.

Plus, Odom was busted for roid

CloakNNNdagger
10-17-2010, 08:39 PM

Let me possibly confuse you more (I hope not).

Ankle taping is theorized to give some benefit by minimizing swelling in the area and keeping the area warm facilitating healing.

Its main purpose supposedly is to support the ankle and limit its motion. But what happens when you limit motion of the ankle? It weakens the ligaments and tendons, it also causes decreased contractions of supporting muscle structures that could actually be predisposing the ankle to injury. In other words, taping may actually increase the chances of injury. The other consequence of restricting ankle motion in the athlete is decreased performance. Players will typically play worse with a taped ankle. Football players that depend on plantar flexion (jumping) are the most affected by taping.

In the classic study on this subject done in 1962, Dr. G. Rarick and associates at the University of Wisconsin studied the four most common ankle taping methods, namely: the basket weave, the basket weave and stirrup, the basket weave and heel lock, and the basket weave with combination stirrup and heel lock. The athletes then exercised for 10 minutes designed to put the ankles under stress. The program consisted of running, jumping, pivoting, quick starts, and quick stops. The study showed that all of the different methods caved in within the 10 minutes of exercise. The authors noted, "The results clearly demonstrated that as much as 40 percent of the net supporting strength of the strapping was lost after 10 minutes of vigorous exercise. Inspection of the strapping following testing disclosed that almost invariably the supporting strips of tape were either broken or the anchoring lateral strips were displaced downward. While some support is given to the ankle joint by current methods of taping, it is doubtful that the protection is as great as many believe. Most certainly the stress of exercise quickly loosens the adhesive supports, leaving the ankle joint with only limited protection. The effectiveness of taping was poor after 10 minutes and minimal after 60 minutes." Before someone says that study was done in 1962, the basket weave taping method in this study is still the fundamental approach of ankle taping used today.

Interestingly enough, it has been shown that a combination of ankle taping and spatting (taping around the outside of the shoe) decreased the inversion motion of the ankle just a little better than ankle taping alone.

Ankle taping has never been shown to prevent ankle injury. In fact, in collegiate football studies, it has been found that most ankle injuries occur in taped ankles. There is even a study that players with histories of ankle sprains were twice as likely to sustain further sprains of their uninjured ankles regardless of shoes or tape or other external support.

JamesBill
10-17-2010, 08:42 PM
FedEx Field is grass. Oakland Coloseum is grass. Keep in mind that type of grass and condition of field can require change in footwear.

Yeah totally agree. Grass can be totally different. Type of soil, thickness of soil, cultivar of grass, moisture. I would hope the Texans are on top of it but who knows. I can still remember the year of the cramps. Players were going out every game with cramps no matter the conditions. these guys need to get it together.

GP
10-17-2010, 08:43 PM
I don't always agree with Gurry Kubiak, but I will quote him...

"Through adversity comes great opportunity." Or something like that.

DeMeco Ryans is not the only guy who can play linebacker. You guys need to slow down and realize that the NFL is a minefield waiting to take out any player It so desires to attack. Nobody escapes from harm. It's only to what degree a particular players suffers that's different from player to player. Nobody walks away unscathed. DeMeco will be back, and will be about 85% his normal self.

Owen Daniels is probably 85% his former self, and look what his 85% did today: He still caught difficult passes in crucial situations. He never outran pursuers down the field after the catch pre-injury, and neither is he outrunning them now. But he's still got the instincts that make him a valuable player.

The opportunity for Dreesen arose, due to last year's OD injury, and Dreesen has been the balls on several plays this year (and in preseason, too). He blocks his ass off, as well, as we saw today.

Foster was given his chance when Slaton went down last year.

I expect us to find a way to throw some LBers out there. And it doesn't make our defense any worse than it already is. Yes, we lose some run support. I think Sharpton can fill that nicely when I look back on how he stuffed the run in the preseason (but his coverage skills are awful) :(

TheIronDuke
10-17-2010, 08:49 PM
Damn, GP, what you speak is 100% truth, rep if I could.

CloakNNNdagger
10-17-2010, 08:54 PM

DeMeco Ryans is not the only guy who can play linebacker. You guys need to slow down and realize that the NFL is a minefield waiting to take out any player It so desires to attack. Nobody escapes from harm. It's only to what degree a particular players suffers that's different from player to player. Nobody walks away unscathed. DeMeco will be back, and will be about 85% his normal self.

Owen Daniels is probably 85% his former self, and look what his 85% did today: He still caught difficult passes in crucial situations. He never outran pursuers down the field after the catch pre-injury, and neither is he outrunning them now. But he's still got the instincts that make him a valuable player.

The opportunity for Dreesen arose, due to last year's OD injury, and Dreesen has been the balls on several plays this year (and in preseason, too). He blocks his ass off, as well, as we saw today.

I expect us to find a way to throw some LBers out there. And it doesn't make our defense any worse than it already is. Yes, we lose some run support. I think Sharpton can fill that nicely when I look back on how he stuffed the run in the preseason (but his coverage skills are awful) :(

Out of the ashes shall arise......................:texflag:

JamesBill
10-17-2010, 09:00 PM

#81 looks like he is back. 95% is what I would call it.

The bad thing is when he went out last year we lost 4 games in a row.

Lucky
10-17-2010, 09:02 PM

Tate was injured in Arizona. I know everyone wants to find a culprit. But, it's probably just football. Shiite happens.

Kubiak was touting Diles as a potential Pro Bowler prior to the season. I don't think the Texans will send many defenders to the Pro Bowl this year. But, maybe Diles can step up in DeMeco's absence?

GP
10-17-2010, 09:06 PM

Thanks.

I'm beginning to watch this team with a spooky sense of detachment now.

After the Cowboys game, I pretty much had an interview with myself. I even took off the wireless mic and walked off from the interview at one point, and I was pissed at myself for doing it. But I returned and allowed myself to interview me under certain conditions. I kid, I kid. Admit it was funny reading it, though. Right?

Seriously though: Here's the deal...there's obviously some bad mojo going on with our defense. And that sucks big time. I admit it's there. You admit it's there. Everyone, even the people on the Texans, admit it's there. I saw a sideline shot of Mario going to each secondary player (they were seated as a group and had their heads down in discouragement after the Chiefs had scored their final TD)...and Mario was making each of them look him in the face and he reached out and fist-bumped each guy. If a guy didn't reach out, Mario extended and touched the guy on the shoulder pads anyways. He made a comment to EACH guy on that bench. Not saying that this is a turning point, but saying it as an aside of some sort. It was cool to see that.

Can they fix it? Hell, I don't know. I just know that we won a game. 4-2 is not awesome, since we know how we got there, but 4-2 is better than the Cowboys' 1-4 or 1-5 whatever they are now. My greatest fear is that the Texans players are doing the math and know they only have to win 4 or 5 more games to keep things from getting TOO crazy come payday at the end of the season.

I don't know if the defense sorts this out or not. It's not promising. But oh well. I can't do anything about it. Nobody on this board can either.

I STILL think this team wins in spite of Gary Kubiak. I've been saying that for the past year or three. It seems like we win if our guys want to win (and I'm talking about our offensive players) and if they get down on themelves we're screwed. It doesn't feel like our defense really makes a difference until it comes down to which side of the Harvey Dent coin toss we come down on regarding the play of our offense. Agree?

This offense is Two Face. One day you live, the next day you die.

ObsiWan
10-17-2010, 09:08 PM

I got him

GP
10-17-2010, 09:12 PM
#81 looks like he is back. 95% is what I would call it.

The bad thing is when he went out last year we lost 4 games in a row.

I think maybe 90%. I'll split the difference with you. Deal? LOL.

He doesn't seem to try and really grind out an extra yard when he gets touched by a defender. He's rolling down to the ground very quickly, and I don't know if that's something he's begun in order to self-protect against re-injury or if it's just happening and there's no real reason why.

But he looks slightly less potent than he was pre-injury. He's wearing a brace. He's regaining confidence and strength, etc.

I just think our defense is going to have to sink or swim. And they know it. The fact that Kubiak hasn't yanked that secondary and benched them completely (or cut them and replaced them with street free agents) is telling, and maybe it will make them all wake up one of these days. Lord just let it happen SOON, and definitely before MNF. PLEASE.

Texan_Bill
10-17-2010, 09:14 PM
:facepalm: DeMeco!!

ObsiWan
10-17-2010, 09:20 PM
Thanks.

After the Cowboys game, I pretty much had an interview with myself. I even took off the wireless mic and walked off from the interview at one point, and I was pissed at myself for doing it. But I returned and allowed myself to interview me under certain conditions. I kid, I kid. Admit it was funny reading it, though. Right?

Seriously though: Here's the deal...there's obviously some bad mojo going on with our defense. And that sucks big time. I admit it's there. You admit it's there. Everyone, even the people on the Texans, admit it's there. I saw a sideline shot of Mario going to each secondary player (they were seated as a group and had their heads down in discouragement after the Chiefs had scored their final TD)...and Mario was making each of them look him in the face and he reached out and fist-bumped each guy. If a guy didn't reach out, Mario extended and touched the guy on the shoulder pads anyways. He made a comment to EACH guy on that bench. Not saying that this is a turning point, but saying it as an aside of some sort. It was cool to see that.

Can they fix it? Hell, I don't know. I just know that we won a game. 4-2 is not awesome, since we know how we got there, but 4-2 is better than the Cowboys' 1-4 or 1-5 whatever they are now. My greatest fear is that the Texans players are doing the math and know they only have to win 4 or 5 more games to keep things from getting TOO crazy come payday at the end of the season.

I don't know if the defense sorts this out or not. It's not promising. But oh well. I can't do anything about it. Nobody on this board can either.

I STILL think this team wins in spite of Gary Kubiak. I've been saying that for the past year or three. It seems like we win if our guys want to win (and I'm talking about our offensive players) and if they get down on themelves we're screwed. It doesn't feel like our defense really makes a difference until it comes down to which side of the Harvey Dent coin toss we come down on regarding the play of our offense. Agree?

oooh.... a Batman reference.
I'd rep you for that if I hadn't just repped you a minute ago.

beerlover
10-17-2010, 09:21 PM
Thanks.

The Texans are consistant in that they're inconsistant with propensity for disturbing season ending injurys.

jshabang
10-17-2010, 09:34 PM

exactly right....while demeco is our captain and what not....he was playing bad to in some of the games i rewatched.....arm tackles the whole nine....the defense as a whole has played like crap demeco included in that....

now im not sayin it will get better....but we had possible the worse defense in the history of the NFL.....can not possibly get worse....plus i like some of the kids we have on the bench...with 2 weeks to practice to fill in nicely for demeco until he returns......i feel they can hold it together

now if mario went down..........then u willl see me go in to full def-con 9 panic status:panic: our season would go down the crapper without him....just his presence alone a offensive coordinator has to gameplan against........without mario to gameplan against....man opposin defenses would have no fear of houston at all

they dont gameplan against demeco....they use to...but i would think mario and cush get thats planning now

BSofA04
10-17-2010, 09:40 PM
I'm going to throw up. DeMeco's out for the season...I can't bare to watch the defense the rest of the season...

devo-x
10-17-2010, 09:52 PM
Stay positive! Someone will rise up to the challenge for Demeco :cool:

HJam72
10-17-2010, 09:59 PM
Colts injury list:

Joseph Adai RB Neck Questionable

Antoine Bethea DB Hamstring Probable

Gary Bracket LB Groin Questionable

Donald Brown RB Hamstring Out

Austin Collie WR Foot Questionable

Kavell Connor LB Foot Out

Pierre Garcon WR Hamstring Questionable

Anthony Gonzales WR Ankle Out

Mike Hart RB Hip Questionable

Charlie Johnson OT Foot Questionable

Jacob Lacey DB Foot Out

Jarod Powers DB Foot Probable

Bob Sanders DB Bicep Out

steelbtexan
10-17-2010, 10:05 PM
No excuses,

Playoffs or bust.

Every team team gets injuries.

hookinreds
10-17-2010, 10:12 PM
Pretty much speechless. The family is just crushed. victory was sweet, but it's the aftershock that is going to be be hard to shake.

imatexan
10-17-2010, 11:16 PM
Colts injury list:

Joseph Adai RB Neck Questionable

Antoine Bethea DB Hamstring Probable

Gary Bracket LB Groin Questionable

Donald Brown RB Hamstring Out

Austin Collie WR Foot Questionable

Kavell Connor LB Foot Out

Pierre Garcon WR Hamstring Questionable

Anthony Gonzales WR Ankle Out

Mike Hart RB Hip Questionable

Charlie Johnson OT Foot Questionable

Jacob Lacey DB Foot Out

Jarod Powers DB Foot Probable

Bob Sanders DB Bicep Out

How many of these players are done for the season?

Dash
10-17-2010, 11:41 PM
In this regard, it's also impossible to rule out the Houston Texans. Their pass rush (and thus their pass defense) is lacking firepower, they run a 4-3 defense (Haynesworth's preferred attack), and Redskins coach Mike Shanahan and Texans coach Gary Kubiak have an extensive history of working together. With the Redskins thin at running back and Steve Slaton slipping out of the starting role in Houston, maybe a Haynesworth-for-Slaton-plus-a-pick deal could come together between now and Tuesday.

If nothing else, the possibility of a trade to the Texans should make the Titans even more interested in working something out. Otherwise, Haynesworth could return to the division -- but with another team.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/17/despite-deactivation-haynesworth-thinks-hes-ready-to-play-tonight/

Norg
10-17-2010, 11:55 PM
i dont think DT is really our need

Amobi IMO right now is better then Fat albert and COdy seems to be Kubes darling

besides we got depth there so Hanyesworth isnt worth the trouble he isnt the same player he used to be IMO

Hardcore Texan
10-18-2010, 08:24 AM
Damn I hate this. Prayers for a speedy recovery for a great football player and a great person.

HOU-TEX
10-18-2010, 10:12 AM
This hurts in a major way if you ask me. Especially in a defense that already stinks. Losing your leader will only make things worse. Adibi's a puh c and can't stay out of the training room. Sharpton's following Adibi around the training room. Bentley's already out. Nixon.....um.yeah. Doesn't look promising

Maybe we can move Pollard to LB considering he can't cover the back end very well

CloakNNNdagger
10-18-2010, 10:23 AM
This hurts in a major way if you ask me. Especially in a defense that already stinks. Losing your leader will only make things worse. Adibi's a puh c and can't stay out of the training room. Sharpton's following Adibi around the training room. Bentley's already out. Nixon.....um.yeah. Doesn't look promising

Maybe we can move Pollard to LB considering he can't cover the back end very well

That actually sounds like an intriguing possibility. But who would take over SS?

HOU-TEX
10-18-2010, 10:39 AM
That actually sounds like an intriguing possibility. But who would take over SS?

Dunno, all our safety's look and play the same. Barber and Wilson? Or Nolan and Wilson? Who knows, but this defense needs an enema...and quick

Corrosion
10-18-2010, 10:47 AM

Nixon didnt show too badly for himself yesterday at all .... I think he's been with the team two weeks , picked up off the scrap heap. He was the only healthy LB they had available ....
I read somewhere he was playing out of position - what LB spot does he normally play ?

If he's a MLB why move Diles inside.

As for moving Pollard to the LB spot .... he'd at least knock the piss outa someone.

Barber and Nolan on the back end ?

beerlover
10-18-2010, 10:53 AM
I know he is undersized but didn't Shaprton get some reps preseason playing MLB. looked pretty good, should be 100% after bye week then Diles & Cushing stay @ regular positions.

GP
10-18-2010, 10:57 AM
I know he is undersized but didn't Shaprton get some reps preseason playing MLB. looked pretty good, should be 100% after bye week then Diles & Cushing stay @ regular positions.

Sharpton was stuffing the run CONSISTENTLY in preseason.

His coverage skills, on the other hand, were a bit suspect. Bing and Sharpton both had trouble in coverage, giving up too many passes to TEs and FBs/RBs who entered their area of coverage.

Sharpton is built like an old-school LB. Huge upper body.

I can't seem to pin down whether he is healthy or not, though. I would think he would have been active yesterday if he were healthy enough to go.

Corrosion
10-18-2010, 11:40 AM

His coverage skills, on the other hand, were a bit suspect. Bing and Sharpton both had trouble in coverage, giving up too many passes to TEs and FBs/RBs who entered their area of coverage.

I can't seem to pin down whether he is healthy or not, though. I would think he would have been active yesterday if he were healthy enough to go.

Pretty much how I remember seeing him during preseason .... May as well give him a shot in the middle , I really dont want to see a repeat of yesterdays second half against the run - they were beyond bad. Bad News Bears Bad.

BigBull17
10-18-2010, 11:47 AM

Oh good, he'll fit in. Won't change our defensive game plan.

GP
10-18-2010, 11:53 AM
Oh good, he'll fit in. Won't change our defensive game plan.

LOL. Exactly!

CloakNNNdagger
10-18-2010, 07:56 PM

He was recovering well from an ankle injury, then sustained a broken finger. Plan to see him back in the mix against the Colts.