PDA

View Full Version : KC Chiefs at Houston Texans

Thorn
10-13-2010, 06:47 PM
That's right fans, time to throw out some useless stats again. I know stats are useless, but it makes for good thread fodder. :cool:

All in all, the stats say these two teams match up well. I guess we'll all find out Sunday. I'm thinking the Houston players and coachs will pull this one out and we'll be 4-2 going into the bye week. I predict the following standings for the AFC South after this coming weekend.

4-2 Texans
4-2 Colts, they play Washington (Sunday night game)
4-2 Titans, Titans and Jags play each other (Monday night game)
3-3 Jags

KC mediocre at scoring against a bad Houston scoring defense
KC good at rushing against a good rushing Houston defense
KC bad at passing against a HORRIBLE Houston passing defense

Houston good at scoring against a very good KC scoring Defense
Houston (sometimes) very good at rushing against a very good KC defense
Houston mediocre (sometimes great) at passing against a bad KC passing offense

Houston Offense:
9th on scoring
5th rushing
14th passing

KC Defense
3rd against scoring
6th against rushing
25th against passing

KC Offense
19th on scoring
3rd rushing
27th passing

Houston Defense
29th against scoring
5th against rushing
LAST against passing

Texecutioner
10-13-2010, 07:02 PM
I think the Texans will win this one by ten points. THeir offense is terrible outside their running game. Jamal Charles will most likely have some big plays though.

Their defense is very good. Hopefully we can run the ball really well against them and work the play action.

HJam72
10-13-2010, 07:03 PM
What makes the status "useless" is the small sample size of having only played against 5 DIFFERENT opponents so far, and that injuries always change everything. If everyone were healthy all season on both teams and we had played against all the same teams, I'd put a LOT more faith in the stats.

HJam72
10-13-2010, 07:05 PM
I think the Texans will win this one by ten points. THeir offense is terrible outside their running game. Jamal Charles will most likely have some big plays though.

Their defense is very good. Hopefully we can run the ball really well against them and work the play action.

That's what I thought about facing the Giants. :thinking:

Running and play-action works a LOT better when AJ can run like the wind....or your opponent's coaches are stupid.

GoChiefs
10-13-2010, 08:03 PM
One thing you should know, our passing D is a lot better than the total yardage stats indicate.

We're 10th in YPA against and 4th in opponent's completion percentage. We've only allowed 4 TD passes and the opposing QB rating is just 75.9.

We've given up a couple of big plays due to our rookie safeties making mistakes, but we have a very young, athletic, smart secondary and our pass rush has been good. Not great, but good. Tamba Hali absolutely raped Ryan Diem in Indianapolis last week.

I think I'm most interested to see whether or not you can run against us - our run D has been very good - and whether our passing game can get it in gear against your obviously horrible secondary. We have talented receivers and a talented young TE, the QB just needs to get it going.

drs23
10-13-2010, 08:07 PM
One thing you should know, our passing D is a lot better than the total yardage stats indicate.

We're 10th in YPA against and 4th in opponent's completion percentage. We've only allowed 4 TD passes and the opposing QB rating is just 75.9.

We've given up a couple of big plays due to our rookie safeties making mistakes, but we have a very young, athletic, smart secondary and our pass rush has been good. Not great, but good. Tamba Hali absolutely raped Ryan Diem in Indianapolis last week.

I think I'm most interested to see whether or not you can run against us - our run D has been very good - and whether our passing game can get it in gear against your obviously horrible secondary. We have talented receivers and a talented young TE, the QB just needs to get it going.

What would it take to have him put it on hold for a week? :winky:

Thorn
10-13-2010, 08:16 PM

I think everyone knows that stats are conversation points and nothing else. They do show a trend in how a team plays, but that is usually more trustworthy after more than just five games. Still, our two teams seem to match up well. What that means is exactly nothing. Which ever team plays like they really want the game will win. I'm thinking our Jeckle and Hyde team will pull out a win coming off an embarasing loss against the Giants.

But again, who knows? Most of us here have learned that putting money (either way) on the Texans is a sure way to loose that money since they are completly unpredictable from week to week.

hradhak
10-13-2010, 09:53 PM
I think we'll match up well against KC. THis is really a big game for Schaub. He's had some shaky starts so far, but I think if he can play well, we shouldn't have any trouble moving the ball. KC's run defensive prowess may be more related to the fact that the Colts, Chargers, 49ers are fairly bad at the run. And I think their pass defense is probably better than 25th since they've played the Chargers and the Colts.

Either way, I think it's a good game. KC can make it to the playoffs playing in a fairly weak division.

gtexan02
10-13-2010, 10:04 PM
Just wanted to throw this out there:
KCs schedule has been very up and down

Game 1 against SD - Division game and SD always starts slow. I wouldn't read too much into this

Game 2 against Cleveland - Browns are in top 3 worst teams in NFL

Game 3 against SF - FIghting for the #1 draft pick at this point

Game 4 against Indy - Best and most meaningful game so far. They played better than I thought they would, but did lose.

Combined winning percentage of teams KC has played: 6-14
Combined winning percentage of our opponents: 12-12

Im not so sure our statistical comparisons are so valid just yet. They were tested last week, and came through. But this Indy team isn't the same as years past. We handled them as well. They did give Peyton fits though, which is way more than I can say about us

JB
10-13-2010, 10:14 PM

Game 1 against SD - Division game and SD always starts slow. I wouldn't read too much into this

Game 4 against Indy - Best and most meaningful game so far. They played better than I thought they would, but did lose.

Im not so sure our statistical comparisons are so valid just yet. They were tested last week, and came through. But this Indy team isn't the same as years past. We handled them as well. They did give Peyton fits though, which is way more than I can say about us

Are you saying that we did not give Manning fits in the first game? He was hit repeatedly and under pressure consistently. No one else has applied that kind of pressure on him this year. Not the Giants or anyone else.

gtexan02
10-13-2010, 10:21 PM
Are you saying that we did not give Manning fits in the first game? He was hit repeatedly and under pressure consistently. No one else has applied that kind of pressure on him this year. Not the Giants or anyone else.

Hit or not, we obviously didn't disrupt his passing success against us.
He was 40/57 for 433 yards (over 7 ypa) with 3 TDs and no INTs, and a 110 QB rating

I made a post a few years ago showing that there is not always a correlation between sacks and QB success. In order to disrupt and defeat a truly great QB like Manning, a great secondary needs to be paired with good pressure.

The Chiefs forced manning into 26/44 for 240 (roughly 5.5 ypa) with no TDs and 1 INT. He had a 65 QB rating.

Id say they easily outplayed us against him on defense, regardless of the pressure they were bringing

Tailgate
10-13-2010, 10:28 PM
I think KC catches us at a bad time after that dump we took on the field last week. This team cannot afford to go 1-3 at home to start the season. No friggin way.

hradhak
10-14-2010, 08:42 AM

That's really interesting. They've played a fairly soft schedule (and it continues for most of the year) I'm more worried about protecting Schaub than I'm our run game. I think our run should be able to set a good pace for us.

Our run defense really has to show up on Sunday. I'm less worried about getting burned through the air given Cassel's woes, but it would still be good to see some sacks / forced turnovers

HTown2ATX
10-14-2010, 08:49 AM

Agreed. This is the only thing about KC besides from their running game that worries me. I think we have the upperhand in all other facets of the game.

:texflag:

Texan_Bill
10-14-2010, 09:30 AM

We are too!!

Signed,
The Houston Texans.

:runaway:

[facetious]

badboy
10-14-2010, 09:37 AM
I look to see the running game in a bit different role this game rather than Foster banging up the middle (unless that proves possible early in game then you stick with it.) I see the coaches watching Jamaal Charles on film then remembering they have a guy that can run like Charles. I also expect to see a bit more of Derrick Ward also. Hopefully that will be a positive.

thunderkyss
10-14-2010, 09:48 AM

I remember that old guy running for 105 yards against us last year, so I won't be forgetting him. We shut him down for 3.5 Qtrs, but allowed him to pick up those yards on 2 carries.

Consistency for 60 minutes will be the name of the game.

Tailgate
10-14-2010, 09:59 AM
Walter Football has us as their October pick of the month.

http://walterfootball.com/nflpicks2010_06early.php

thunderkyss
10-14-2010, 10:56 AM

Same holds true for last year, which makes me wonder why are we able to pressure and sack Manning, when no one else can..... but come up empty against other "normal" teams?

JB
10-14-2010, 10:58 AM
Same holds true for last year, which makes me wonder why are we able to pressure and sack Manning, when no one else can..... but come up empty against other "normal" teams?

Good question. At this point, I am thinking it's about want to.

Buffi2
10-14-2010, 11:13 AM
Good question. At this point, I am thinking it's about want to.

Or, don't want to which seems to be the case with the Texans.

charterTexanfan
10-14-2010, 11:37 AM
they just don't seem to be as fired up for games against the NFC. We beat Washington in the final score, but ... They way Blahshington was moving the ball, you have to wonder how an overtime period would have gone. I was hoping Kubiak wouldn't sit on the lead and start playing conservative like is his M.O. Never had to worry about that Sunday. I think they seemed flat and had no intensity (?). Is it the injuries to A.J., Mario, Barwin & Davis, Jacoby, (now Mario and Cushing missed practice because of a knee and shoulder), Brown is suspended, this was #56 first week back from being suspended........, that is on their mind rather than getting amped for the game?

what do you think? N.Y. was a good team, but the team that played the Colts that day at the first of the season, would have kicked the Giants ass Sunday,

HJam72
10-14-2010, 11:40 AM
they just don't seem to be as fired up for games against the NFC. We beat Washington in the final score, but ... They way Blahshington was moving the ball, you have to wonder how an overtime period would have gone. I was hoping Kubiak wouldn't sit on the lead and start playing conservative like is his M.O. Never had to worry about that Sunday. I think they seemed flat and had no intensity (?). Is it the injuries to A.J., Mario, Barwin & Davis, Jacoby, (now Mario and Cushing missed practice because of a knee and shoulder), Brown is suspended, this was #56 first week back from being suspended........, that is on their mind rather than getting amped for the game?

what do you think? N.Y. was a good team, but the team that played the Colts that day at the first of the season, would have kicked the Giants ass Sunday,

It's all of that AND getting out-schemed. We need to get healthy, get our players motivated, and not have our coaches out-smarted.

Cushing blitzed twice. He got one sack and forced a pick on the other one (IRC). They should have done that more. I'm sure they know that NOW. Too late.

thunderkyss
10-14-2010, 12:17 PM
It's all of that AND getting out-schemed. We need to get healthy, get our players motivated, and not have our coaches out-smarted.

Cushing blitzed twice. He got one sack and forced a pick on the other one (IRC). They should have done that more. I'm sure they know that NOW. Too late.

We had no sacks on Manning. Two of Cushings blitzes resulted in INTs... both the McMannis & Kj pick. Another rush led to an incomplete pass.

VTexan
10-14-2010, 12:24 PM
We should win this one. We match up against this time really well with their passing attack not being very good. Hopefully we can get a rhythm passing the ball that we can carry out for the next few weeks. Maybe our Pass D can gain some confidence this week also!

High hopes for sunday.

hradhak
10-14-2010, 04:45 PM
It'll be a good test of our "stop the run first" defense. KC can run the ball, while they struggle with the pass. I'm not convinced that their run defense is as good as the stats indicate. They've played no one so far with a good running game.

Malloy
10-14-2010, 05:27 PM
If we lose this one I'll kick my imaginary cat!

silvrhand
10-14-2010, 05:53 PM
Honestly, if we lose this game I think the season is on the short bus. We really need to improve to 4-2 as we head into a REALLY tough stretch of our schedule.

- Colts
- Chargers
- Jaguars
- Jets
- Titans
- Eagles

Best case scenario is what 7-5?

thunderkyss
10-14-2010, 06:14 PM
Honestly, if we lose this game I think the season is on the short bus. We really need to improve to 4-2 as we head into a REALLY tough stretch of our schedule.

- Colts
- Chargers
- Jaguars
- Jets
- Titans
- Eagles

Best case scenario is what 7-5?

For me, best case scenario would be 10-2.

But even my Koolaide drinking ass ain't seeing that. I'm not seeing an easy win, or a should win in that stretch. But I would be upset if we lose more than 3.

It really doesn't get any easier after that,
- Ravens
- @Tennessee
- @Denver
- Jaguars

Grams
10-14-2010, 06:34 PM
It'll be a good test of our "stop the run first" defense. KC can run the ball, while they struggle with the pass. I'm not convinced that their run defense is as good as the stats indicate. They've played no one so far with a good running game.

Hopefully we don't make Matt Cassel look like a Hall of Fame quarterback.

thunderkyss
10-14-2010, 07:19 PM
Hopefully we don't make Matt Cassel look like a Hall of Fame quarterback.

Who did we make look like a hall of fame QB?
Just thinking out loud.

Peyton Manning
Houston 433 yards
NYGiants 255 yards
Broncos 325 yards
Jaguars 352 yards
Chiefs 244 yards

Donovan McNabb
Dallas ..171 yards
Houston..426 yards
StLouis... 236 yards
Philly... ..125 yards
GreenBay..357 yards

Tony Romo
Washington 282 yards
Chicago ..374 yards
Houston ..284 yards
Tennessee ..406 yards

Bruce Gradkowski
STLouis....162 yards
Arizona....255 yards
Houston...278 yards
SanDiego...14 yards

Eli Manning
Carolina ..263 yards
Indy... 161 yards
Tennessee...386 yards
Chicago....195 yards
Houston....297 yards

Looks like we're about Par with the other teams that played the same QBs.

Texanmike02
10-14-2010, 07:28 PM

What has been missing, until the Giants game, is turnovers. We must create them.

Mike

DexmanC
10-14-2010, 10:36 PM
As last week proved...

A good coaching staff can gameplan you out of your stats (#1 rushing offense
be damned.)

DexmanC
10-14-2010, 10:39 PM

Each team put up at least 24 points on us. Yards schmards.
Give up 24 points every game, and you're back to 7-9 worse-ville.
Give up 24 points to the Ravens, Jets, Titans, or Eagles, and you lose big.
The Texans will be facing Mike Vick, when we go to Philly. I haven't
seen any true toughness from this team yet. I've seen exactly the squad
we saw all last season. The only thing that's gotten better, is the quality
of opponents we face.

The Texans chose to stand pat during the offseason, and that's exactly the
result we see. Texans stay the same, the competition got better. Sure,
the Texans surprised the Colts on opening day, but MNF is another story.
The Texans haven't beat the Jags in a very long time, and rarely during
the reign of Kubiak. The Texans have never beaten Vince Young. It's
a completely different team with Collins under center. With Vince in there,
the Texans have to stop the run, which they chose to do with their
secondary, and Vince has become a better passer than he ever has been.

I'm actually surprised to see Vince studying the stills on the sideline with
Mike Heimerdinger between possessions. Looks like everybody else intentionally
got better, and the Texans intentionally decided to stay the same.

Yes, Kubiak. It's on you.

http://i47.tinypic.com/348j1pv.jpg
"Dadgummit, Dex. It's tough to win in this league."
"You're right, though. It's on me!"
"What beat should I tap the podium to?"

thunderkyss
10-14-2010, 10:55 PM
Each team put up 24 points on us.

So what?

Eli put 386 yards on Tennessee. (only 297 on us)

Oakland didn't put 35 points on us. (Like they did on San Diego)

Dallas put 27 on the Titans. (Same as us)

Washington beat Green Bay. (they didn't beat us)

If you aren't following my point, it's not like we played crap, we played NFL teams. We've got issues we need to work out..... & I'm not using those issues as an excuse, because despite those issues, we are 3-2 & leading our division.

DexmanC
10-14-2010, 10:59 PM
I look to see the running game in a bit different role this game rather than Foster banging up the middle (unless that proves possible early in game then you stick with it.) I see the coaches watching Jamaal Charles on film then remembering they have a guy that can run like Charles. I also expect to see a bit more of Derrick Ward also. Hopefully that will be a positive.

The scheme the Giants ran took away the outside zone from the Texans.
They pretty much stacked 8 in the box (sometimes 9,) and dared the
Texans to throw it.

Charlie Weis and Romeo Crennell are both Superbowl-winning coordinators,
and they're on the same team. The Texan coaching staff had better
not be a liability, as they were last week.

DexmanC
10-14-2010, 11:05 PM
So what?

Eli put 386 yards on Tennessee. (only 297 on us)

Oakland didn't put 35 points on us. (Like they did on San Diego)

Dallas put 27 on the Titans. (Same as us)

Washington beat Green Bay. (they didn't beat us)

If you aren't following my point, it's not like we played crap, we played NFL teams. We've got issues we need to work out..... & I'm not using those issues as an excuse, because despite those issues, we are 3-2 & leading our division.

In my opinion, going into last week's game, 3-2 was unacceptable.
I don't care how the other teams in the division or league are doing.
The expectations for the Texans are HIGH. What we got Sunday,
was silly gameplanning and horrible preparation from our coaching staff, and a collective
"oh shit, we got hit in the mouth" response from the players.

I'll say it now..
3-3 is completely inexcusable, just as 3-2 is right now, considering who
this team is getting its record against right now. It's gonna be MUCH
harder coming out of the bye, and they've put themselves in a position
starting with this week, of have having to finish the season at least
7-4 (FIVE division games; Chiefs, Jets, Ravens, Chargers, and Eagles (Vick))
over the next eleven games to have ANY chance at postseason.

The "parity" we're seeing now is evidence of tiebreakers being an
essential determinant of who makes postseason.

The days of David Carr explaining away losses with a smile on his face
and the line of "these guys are good, ya know?" are OVER!

No excuses.

thunderkyss
10-14-2010, 11:26 PM
I'll say it now..

No excuses.

You know, I used to think that as well. Till I read it in one of your post, I didn't realize how retarded it sounded. That's a loser's mentality.

3-2, 3-3/4-1..... whatever.

If they want to put themselves in a position to go 7-4 or 8-3 & make some noise in the play-offs, they need to do what it takes to get better.

I honestly don't care if we win or not Sunday, as long as our defense fix it's issues & the Offense figures out what went wrong..... the wins will come. Winning is a natural by-product of consistently playing good football.

I don't expect the Texans to be the same team we saw the last 5 weeks, they'll be better, & they'll be ready for the post season.

No reason to fear the Ravens or the Jets or even our division foes.

That's what losers do.

We can beat anybody.

Pantherstang84
10-14-2010, 11:27 PM
In my opinion, going into last week's game, 3-2 was unacceptable.
I don't care how the other teams in the division or league are doing.
The expectations for the Texans are HIGH. What we got Sunday,
was silly gameplanning and horrible preparation from our coaching staff, and a collective
"oh shit, we got hit in the mouth" response from the players.

I'll say it now..

The days of David Carr explaining away losses with a smile on his face
and the line of "these guys are good, ya know?" are OVER!

No excuses.

Preach it.

hradhak
10-15-2010, 07:43 AM
You know, I used to think that as well. Till I read it in one of your post, I didn't realize how retarded it sounded. That's a loser's mentality.

3-2, 3-3/4-1..... whatever.

If they want to put themselves in a position to go 7-4 or 8-3 & make some noise in the play-offs, they need to do what it takes to get better.

I honestly don't care if we win or not Sunday, as long as our defense fix it's issues & the Offense figures out what went wrong..... the wins will come. Winning is a natural by-product of consistently playing good football.

I don't expect the Texans to be the same team we saw the last 5 weeks, they'll be better, & they'll be ready for the post season.

No reason to fear the Ravens or the Jets or even our division foes.

That's what losers do.

We can beat anybody.

Nice post.

We didn't play good football and that's why we lost. Both sides of the ball have something that needs fixing. This is a team that has the talent to get to the playoffs. Get the things fixed that need fixing and get on with it.