PDA

View Full Version : Are Kubes supporters already bailing off the wagon?

Texecutioner
10-11-2010, 02:42 PM
I'm starting to notice a lot of his supporters jumping off? We're not playing well in the last 3 games, but we're still 3-2 right now with one easy game that we've played. This shouldn't be some big surprise really. It's not like we're 1-4 right now.

I've never liked Kubes personally, but I hate to see the guy lose so much support so easily from his flip floppers every year that change their minds about whether or not he should coach this team 4 or 5 different times throughout a season. Either get behind the guy at this point or get behind the idea of getting a new HC and STICK TO IT. Stop changing opinions about our HC every two games or so depending whether or not if we win or lose close games.

This is year 5 of this guy in his tenure. You guys knew what we were getting coming into this season after watching this guy coach for the last 4 years. He is what he is and he is not changing as a HC. He has his scheme and he does things the way that he's going to do them. You either like this guy's philosophy or you don't, but baling on the guy just after two losses is weak if you were highly confident in this guy going into his 5th season. You knew who this guy was and how this team played for him in the past.

This season isn't over by a long shot. At least wait 3 more weeks before trying to call for this head if you wanted this guy back this year. I sure as hell didn't, but he's here for the remainder of the season and most likely next season as well. Enjoy this team and either get on or off this guy's bandwagon, because he's not about to change who he is now in his 5th season as HC.

silvrhand
10-11-2010, 02:45 PM
who said I was even on board *GRIN*

:rake:

Dwade
10-11-2010, 02:49 PM
I've always though Kubes sucks crap through a crazy straw...

Texecutioner
10-11-2010, 02:52 PM
who said I was even on board *GRIN*

:rake:

This is mainly aimed at the folks that flip flop on this guy every two or three games every year. Either get behind who this guy is as a HC or don't. He's not going to change how he coaches at this point. You either like this guy and want him around for a very long time, or you should be in the camp that wants him out of here like myself. This isn't aimed to create a divide, but it's pretty ridiculous when you see people calling this guy the man one week or right before the season and then calling this guy an incapable HC by week 4 and then turning right around and acting like he's a great HC again because the Texans go on a 3 game winning streak again at some point in the season. We're to late into his tenure for people to be confused as to what this guy brings. You either are support how this regime operates or you don't. We know what we've got either way though. He's been here 4 going on 5 years now.

m5kwatts
10-11-2010, 02:54 PM
I jumped off the Kubiak bandwagon after the Chris Brown halfback pass game. His contract extension to me is meaningless, if we don't make the playoffs he should be gone.

That said I respect the job Kubes as done and the progress made from 2005. That also said, this team is beyond giving itself pats on the back for baby steps forward. Get it done Gary or get the hell out.

Kaiser Toro
10-11-2010, 02:55 PM
I am surprised you are surprised. The tone is a reflection of the result and Kubiaks record IMO. There will be plenty of more buying and equal selling given this roller coaster ride of a team.

Texan_Bill
10-11-2010, 02:59 PM
The Texans were clearly out-coached, out-schemed, out-classed, out played - out everthinged. That said, I'm not a fickle person that changes his mind back and forthl.

BIG TORO
I have always supported kubes, and if you look at the big picture things have only gotten better since he has been here, but for the first time I'm really starting to wonder about him. I guess the inconsistancy over the years with him is starting to get to me.

Blake
Havent been a Kubes fan for a couple years now. Lets hear from these John Kerry flip flopin sunumabitches. :P

El Tejano
10-11-2010, 03:01 PM
I have always supported kubes, and if you look at the big picture things have only gotten better since he has been here, but for the first time I'm really starting to wonder about him.

That's how I feel.

For once I would like to see him just pull Kareem to the side and give Kareem a chance to get a feel for the game. As a rookie, he deserves that when he's getting beat that bad week in and week out. Just make a small adjustment. That's all.

Texecutioner
10-11-2010, 03:01 PM
I am surprised you are surprised. The tone is a reflection of the result and Kubiaks record IMO. There will be plenty of more buying and equal selling given this roller coaster ride of a team.

But that's who we've been since he's been here. Why is it still a surprise to many at this point? Many have obviously been okay with this for the last two years, so I just don't get the outrage from some that love the hell out of this guy and then totally bail on him two games later. This isn't the first few games in his 2nd year as our HC where we were still trying to figure out what kind of coach he was going to be. We know exactly what we have here. I've never liked it personally and I don't his style of coaching persay, but that's just me. There are others in here who adore the guy and always have and that's just fine as well. THey like his style. They like him, and how he operates. But with the folks who want him fired one week and three weeks later love the guy, and then want him fired again man come on give it a rest already. What kind of support is that?

The1ApplePie
10-11-2010, 03:03 PM
I've always been of the opinion that he is a mediocre coach. Not horrible, but not great.

He's basically Wade Phillips or Jack Del Rio.

Thankfuly, he is not Josh McDaniels or Mike Singeltary

Cjeremy635
To be honest, this is the first time I've second guessed the guy. I've always been pro Kubiak, but I'm starting to wonder if he's the right guy. I don't go around bashing him, this is the first post that I've ever openly wondered if he's the right guy for us. I kept on thinking that if we gave him more time, he would be more successful. He inherited a sorry ass team and pretty much overhauled the entire roster. We seem to have a taken a step back this year in the passing game and our defense didn't take that next step that people have been anticipating. I think that those two things fall on his shoulders and he should have to answer for our problems. Am I screaming for us to fire the guy? No, but I am starting to wonder if he can take us to the promised land. We may need a new navigator.

spurstexanstros
But that's who we've been since he's been here. Why is it still a surprise to many at this point? Many have obviously been okay with this for the last two years, so I just don't get the outrage from some that love the hell out of this guy and then totally bail on him two games later. This isn't the first few games in his 2nd year as our HC where we were still trying to figure out what kind of coach he was going to be. We know exactly what we have here. I've never liked it personally and I don't his style of coaching persay, but that's just me. There are others in here who adore the guy and always have and that's just fine as well. THey like his style. They like him, and how he operates. But with the folks who want him fired one week and three weeks later love the guy, and then want him fired again man come on give it a rest already. What kind of support is that?

and with that he goes yard...repping that

Cjeremy635
10-11-2010, 03:04 PM
I've always been of the opinion that he is a mediocre coach. Not horrible, but not great.

He's basically Wade Phillips or Jack Del Rio.

Thankfuly, he is not Josh McDaniels or Mike Singeltary

Really? I like Singeltary. That guy is going to be a GREAT coach one day, IMHO.

Texecutioner
10-11-2010, 03:06 PM
The Texans were clearly out-coached, out-schemed, out-classed, out played - out everthinged. That said, I'm not a fickle person that changes his mind back and forthl.

I'll give you that Bill. You and I have had some strong disagreements regarding this regime in the past, but at least you've stayed consistent with what you believe in and what you support as far as how this team should be ran.

We still have plenty of football to play and can still have a very good season. If people thought that before this season started they shouldn't be bailing just after two losses if they had that much confidence in Gary's leadership before the season started.

kiwitexansfan
10-11-2010, 03:15 PM
I've been a big supporter of Kubiak, not because I think he is a genius coach or talent evaluator, but because I believe that stability is a an important part of a franchise achieving greatness.

This is his first year with his hand picked staff and I must say I am starting to doubt that he has the ability to pull a team together as the head man.

Texecutioner
10-11-2010, 03:22 PM
I've been a big supporter of Kubiak, not because I think he is a genius coach or talent evaluator, but because I believe that stability is a an important part of a franchise achieving greatness.

This is his first year with his hand picked staff and I must say I am starting to doubt that he has the ability to pull a team together as the head man.

You didn't doubt any of this after seeing the debacles of last season? I just don't see why people are so hard on the mistakes from this year when many of them were here last year and these holes weren't filled in the off season in the secondary especially. If people stayed confident last season and in this off season then I don't understand why people are questioning him now when the Texans are 3-2?

dalemurphy
10-11-2010, 03:24 PM

I have some concerns too. But, remember that the season is a process. The fact that we have lots to improve upon yet we are in 1st in the division should be of some comfort. I believe in the ability of this staff to coach players up and make adjustments over the course of a season....... I think.

stingray
10-11-2010, 03:24 PM
I have always been a Kubiak supporter and I don't wanna judge him until at least mid November. The season is long and can go up and down. Just look at the team we faced yesterday, the Giants. They were totally outclassed and outplayed by the Colts just a couple weeks ago. And they look they are turning their season around.

houstonspartan
10-11-2010, 03:29 PM
Agree. Get on or get off.

I was done with him since the middle of last season. The extension pissed me off, and I have a folded arm approach him.

Maybe some fans have simply reached their breaking point like many of us have at one point, but, as you said, if this is your breaking point, then you need to decide how you feel about this guy and accept it.

hradhak
10-11-2010, 03:29 PM
I'm reserving judement till the end of the season. I have supported him thus far and haven't changed my mind now. There are many things that I have disagreed with him on regarding playcalls, etc. That said he has done a lot with this team and had little to start with.

I am of the opinion that many coaches get axed far too early, but 5 years is a reasonable amount of time to see what a coach can do. I'll reserve judgement after the full body of work. Right now, he's the coach, and I'll support the team.

Kaiser Toro
10-11-2010, 03:31 PM
If people stayed confident last season and in this off season then I don't understand why people are questioning him now when the Texans are 3-2?

I must have missed your initial point, as being a Kubiak supporter and a Texans supporter are exclusive for me.

TexansSeminole
10-11-2010, 03:33 PM
Let's see how we respond for the rest of the season. This is it for Kubiak. This is the first time he's had a team that definitely should go to the playoffs. If he doesn't get us into the playoffs this year he is gone and I truly believe that.

We have been out-coached pretty heavily in 2 games against NFC East opponents, in which both teams used the same type of gameplan offensively. Let's see what Gary Kubiak and Frank Bush do in order to counter that. This is about the time our run defense last year drasticallllllllllly improved. Drastically improved.

We are 3-2 going up against a game against a 3-1 Kansas City team that has a very poor passing offense to counter our very poor passing defense. This could be a big week to get some confidence back before the bye week, where we can really install something, or someone to correct our most glaring weakness.

We have been atop the AFC South all year, I think we should give our team some more time before we start verbally throwing the season away here.

nytexan
10-11-2010, 03:34 PM

I've also been a Kubiak backer but that game just took a lot out of me. We were just manhandled in that game. Schaub also seems to have taken a step back this year. I haven't fully jumped off Kubiak's bandwagon just yet but if this is the best we can do against a physical team... yikes.

A close loss I could have stomached but I truly can't think of anything positive to talk about from that game. Our secondary is nothing short of AWFUL. Even if physically K.Jackson can recover to become a good corner is his confidence nearly shot after the first 5 games??? It's so bad I'm reminiscing about Jacques Reeves for cripes sake.

houstonspartan
10-11-2010, 03:34 PM
To be honest, this is the first time I've second guessed the guy. I've always been pro Kubiak, but I'm starting to wonder if he's the right guy. I don't go around bashing him, this is the first post that I've ever openly wondered if he's the right guy for us. I kept on thinking that if we gave him more time, he would be more successful. He inherited a sorry ass team and pretty much overhauled the entire roster. We seem to have a taken a step back this year in the passing game and our defense didn't take that next step that people have been anticipating. I think that those two things fall on his shoulders and he should have to answer for our problems. Am I screaming for us to fire the guy? No, but I am starting to wonder if he can take us to the promised land. We may need a new navigator.

Fair enough. I went through the same thing, processing how I felt about him over several games. It wasn't a light switch moment. It was several games all together that did it for me. It was a slow realiziation of the truth that, eventually led to my final decision: He's not the one.

When he does a great job, like during the Washington game, I give him credit. That's only fair. If he proves me wrong and takes us into the playoffs, I will admit that I was wrong about him.

But, until then, he has a lot of proving to do as far as I'm concerned. Gary has had FIVE YEARS - FIVE! - to move this team forward. Put up or shut up.

Texecutioner
10-11-2010, 03:35 PM
I have some concerns too. But, remember that the season is a process. The fact that we have lots to improve upon yet we are in 1st in the division should be of some comfort. I believe in the ability of this staff to coach players up and make adjustments over the course of a season....... I think.

Kind of like I told Bill, at least you stay consistent Dale. I know that I do. I just wish I could see some constant consistency from this team though. As bad as our two losses were though, I agree that it's somewhat of some comfort to be 3-2 after this recent loss. There is still a lot of football to play.

Texecutioner
10-11-2010, 03:36 PM
We have been atop the AFC South all year, I think we should give our team some more time before we start verbally throwing the season away here.

This. ^^^

At least give it a few more weeks.

cdollaz
10-11-2010, 03:41 PM
My opinion is that he has the rest of the season to right the ship. If we do not win at least 10 games or make the playoffs, he should be gone, period. That will have been 5 years and that is more time than any other organization would have given a coach. At some point you either take the team to the next level or the team should find someone who can.

Grams
10-11-2010, 03:45 PM
I have always been a Kubiak supporter and I don't wanna judge him until at least mid November. The season is long and can go up and down. Just look at the team we faced yesterday, the Giants. They were totally outclassed and outplayed by the Colts just a couple weeks ago. And they look they are turning their season around.

Everyone looks like they are turning their season around when they play us. We made the Cowgirls look good.

I think winning the first 2 games set our expectations a little high. I thought we had finally got off the play one game well, then look like crap the next, then play well, etc.

Think the Giants have shown us we are the "Not Ready for Primetime Players".
And I am one who is starting to think the Kubiak may not be the right coach for us.

badboy
10-11-2010, 03:47 PM
I am only speaking for myself in saying that while I doubted several of his decisions especially in the field of drafting, I have considered myself a supporter. Today, I remain on the band wagon but only by my feet and hands; my butt is dragging off the end and banging in the dirt. Historically I have called for a defensive tackle that can stop the run and take up two o-linemen allowing a DE to get to QB. I've pleaded for a power running back that can move the pile eating up the clock and can score in the red zone. Is Foster a crafty decision or more likely luck? Tate is still a question mark. I've screamed for a free safety that could hit and still cover. I've railed against corners that can pop a WR within 5 yards and maybe tackle a quick strike reception but looks forlorn as he watches the ball sail over his head and into the hands of a WR.

I find myself thinking what QB has Gary Kubiak actually refined into a productive one? Schaub? How much credit goes to Gary and how much to Matt? Yeah I am still a supporter but starting to feel like a jock strap.

stingray
10-11-2010, 03:49 PM
Everyone looks like they are turning their season around when they play us. We made the Cowgirls look good.

I think winning the first 2 games set our expectations a little high. I thought we had finally got off the play one game well, then look like crap the next, then play well, etc.

Think the Giants have shown us we are the "Not Ready for Primetime Players".
And I am one who is starting to think the Kubiak may not be the right coach for us.

They also embarrassed the Bears a week ago. And It's the Bears only loss.

gary
10-11-2010, 03:50 PM
I was a wait and see guy when Gary first started and I think I saw enough a year or two ago.

Texecutioner
10-11-2010, 03:53 PM
They also embarrassed the Bears a week ago. And It's the Bears only loss.

Yeah, the Giants are a pretty good team, and even last season there record wasn't that good, but they are always a very tough team to beat.

disaacks3
10-11-2010, 03:55 PM
I wanted his head before the extension due to 'uninspired play'. I honestly hoped the team had put that phase of the game behind them. After facing 3 NFC East teams this year, trailing ALL THREE by 14+ points and ending up 1-2 against them, with both losses AT HOME, I'm no longer so sure.

Those two losses weren't heart-breakers....we were BLOWN off the ball. The team looked like they did in Denver years ago when they just gave up. (That was my low point as a fan)

The season isn't a loss (yet) by any means and I hope that Kubes and his "kids" start acting like there's no tomorrow. Right now I can't tell if the Colts game or the Cowboys / Giants games are "the rule".

gary
10-11-2010, 04:00 PM
Gary and Rick have indeed gotten the team a step or two closer so they deserve some credit but they have reached their peek IMO.

Wolf
10-11-2010, 04:16 PM

this ^^^^^

that is how I feel. I am still not ready to see him fired, but this season has been rough. I didn't expect for this team to go 16-0 but it is just that when we are lose, we are getting punched in the mouth. And I guess I am to the point where I am starting to get numb with each win, because right around the corner is going to be a puzzling defeat with this team and I guess it gets old when you hear the same coach speak of "it's on me, we have to prepare better" and the players echo that is "we have to make plays"

guess I am still kind of bummed over the way they lost against the Cowboys and Giants.

ChampionTexan
10-11-2010, 04:46 PM
If venting and expressing your frustration make you feel better then more power to you - you're in the right place. That's just not something that does much for me. Nor does coming in and defending the staff the day after a loss that at the moment compares to no other (at least for me) with the possible exception of the MNF loss to the Titans last season.

But, nothing's gonna happen with Kubes between now and the end of the season - no how, no way - so until then, I'll just see what happens, and form an opinion on the season as a whole.

BSofA04
10-11-2010, 04:54 PM
I'm not bailing off the wagon, I think Kubiak is a good coach and the players respect him.

However...it's frustrating not to see him get fired up and pissed in front of the cameras after a ridiculous loss like yesterday. We can't see what goes on behind closed doors, and there's a possibility that he does rip into his players and coaches in meetings, but from our perspective his body language doesn't come off as "pissed" like it should. That's what bothers me about him.

Is it why some people are jumping ship? I don't know. I just want him to show us that this loss is unacceptable and that it cannot happen again. We all pay too much money to be subjected to that garbage.

TheCD
10-11-2010, 04:54 PM
I'm not so much saying I'm falling off the bandwagon as this is the "it" season for me.

I am a proponent of the 5 year plan for coaching, and sometimes that can backfire due to too much patience. It's year 5 and there are absolutely no excuses for performance. Every inch of this team is Gary Kubiak's and all of the praise/criticism falls on his shoulders.

After 5 years a defense shouldn't be this ridiculous. I don't care how young the secondary is, you've had 5 years and your accomplishment is setting the pace for shattering the most passing yards given up in a season?

I've said it many times before...after 5 years I see a portion of great talent (about 12 players) and beyond that, nothing. You can call me what you want but I feel this team is highly overrated right now in terms of talent. Our offense is in decent shape. Our defense outside of Mario and Antonio, however, is questionable at best.

Hagar
10-11-2010, 04:57 PM
I've always been a Kubes supporter, however, when the team went on a losing streak last year after the bye week, I started having my doubts. If y'all remember, we were 5-4 at the bye with the Titans, Colts, and Jags (all division games). After that, came the easier, non-division portions of the with schedule with games against the Seahawks, Rams, Miami & Patriots. I thought that in order to make the playoffs, it was crucial to win at least 1 (preferably 2) of the 3 division games. To my disappointment, we lost all three including a 17 point come-from-behind loss to the Colts and of course the now infamous Chris Brown halfback pass loss to the Jags. Since that time, I've looked at Kubes differently. Kubes is a great coordinator, but an average head coach.

This team is weak both mentally and physically. Essentially, it lacks heart. While I think we can win against finesse team like the Colts & Eagles, I foresee losses against the more physical teams such as the Titans, Jags, & Ravens. This team will have a hard time making 500, let along the playoffs.

Since we canít change all the players all at once, a better, more hardnosed coach is our best option. Bill Cowher would have been a good choice last year, but I wasnít impressed with any of the other names being tossed around at the time. I suspect a change will be made this off season after the melt down that will hit with losses in weeks 10, 11, 12, 14 & 15. Weeks 11 & 14 could be particularly ugly against the Jets & Ravens.

Big Lou
10-11-2010, 05:09 PM
Although it's not easy at this point I'm a Kubes supporter. Partly because I believe in stability, partly because of the whole home town thing, and part because I just like him for some reason.

I'm sure we could find reasons to dislike anybody they bring in. However I will give him until the end of the year until I jump ship. I waivered a little last year but held fast. I'm pretty pissed about Sunday's ass whoopen especially since my wife is a damn yankee from New York City that is the biggest fair weather fan on the planet just waiting to talk crap, however she saw the look on face yesterday and knew to keep her yap shut. So I'm pretty freaken pissed!!!

This team is no different than 2009, so we could go 11-5 or 5-11 at this point!!!!

DexmanC
10-11-2010, 06:11 PM
Kubiak lost me after the loss to the Titans on MNF. Everything he's done
since then, has only cemented my assessment of his lack of "it" as a head
coach. As soon as Bob Mcnair fires him, look for Marvin Lewis to
hire him as OC in Cincinnati.

Don't stare at Kubiak's record. Ask yourself "Who dey beat?" Then look at the teams
the Texans consistently win against, AND who the Texans consistently LOSE against.

Mostly loses to good teams early in season / occasional surprise victories against good teams late in the season.

Competes adequately with mediocre teams / good teams who're resting starters

Consistently wins against or blows out bad teams / teams who've quit to focus on offseason

That has NOT changed in five seasons.

houstonspartan
10-11-2010, 09:32 PM
Kubiak lost me after the loss to the Titans on MNF. Everything he's done
since then, has only cemented my assessment of his lack of "it" as a head
coach. As soon as Bob Mcnair fires him, look for Marvin Lewis to
hire him as OC in Cincinnati.

Don't stare at Kubiak's record. Ask yourself "Who dey beat?" Then look at the teams
the Texans consistently win against, AND who the Texans consistently LOSE against.

Mostly loses to good teams early in season / occasional surprise victories against good teams late in the season.

Competes adequately with mediocre teams / good teams who're resting starters

Consistently wins against or blows out bad teams / teams who've quit to focus on offseason

That has NOT changed in five seasons.

I have always said that last year's MNF game sucked the wind out of this fanbase. It knocked me completely on my ass, and even people that i know that are die hard kool aid drinkers were totally devastated. When we look back at Kubiak's tenure, that will be known as THE GAME.

That MNF game really tore this fan base up.

As for Marvin Lewis, well, he be lucky if he's employed next year his damn self, so I don't think he'll be hiring Kubiak.

Texecutioner
10-11-2010, 09:43 PM
I have always said that last year's MNF game sucked the wind out of this fanbase. It knocked me completely on my ass, and even people that i know that are die hard kool aid drinkers were totally devastated. When we look back at Kubiak's tenure, that will be known as THE GAME.

That MNF game really tore this fan base up.

As for Marvin Lewis, well, he be lucky if he's employed next year his damn self, so I don't think he'll be hiring Kubiak.

Marvin Lewis has been a pretty good HC though honestly. It may not look like it when you look at his entire tenure there, but there owner is just as bad as Al Davis and brings in the worse players imaginable that won't listen to the coach and are complete head cases. Marvin did a real good job before, and then Brown brought in so many criminals that got arrested that the league started suspending people. All of those Bengals are a large reason why Goodell had to get so strict. Then when Marvin finally got that team right back on track, what did Brown do in the off season? He literally went out and got every criminal multiple offender he could in the off season and got TO as well. I think Lewis would be a really good HC on a better franchise.

thunderkyss
10-11-2010, 09:43 PM
I'm starting to notice a lot of his supporters jumping off? We're not playing well in the last 3 games, but we're still 3-2 right now with one easy game that we've played. This shouldn't be some big surprise really. It's not like we're 1-4 right now.

I've never liked Kubes personally, but I hate to see the guy lose so much support so easily from his flip floppers every year that change their minds about whether or not he should coach this team 4 or 5 different times throughout a season. Either get behind the guy at this point or get behind the idea of getting a new HC and STICK TO IT. Stop changing opinions about our HC every two games or so depending whether or not if we win or lose close games.

I'm still a Kubiak supporter. I still want him as our head coach. I'm upset about the way we lost the last game, but so is he. Just because I'm upset doesn't mean I lost faith in the guy.

I'm upset with Matt, the OLine, our LBs, or DBs, all the coaches, McNair, but I'm still a Texan.

This team has looked nothing like I expected, five weeks in. The run game, the pass game, the run D, the pass D. I've been surprised and disappointed, impressed & dumbfounded. I have no idea what's going to happen this season, which games we'll win, which games we'll lose. I only hope they are all more entertaining than Sunday's game was.

Texecutioner
10-11-2010, 09:48 PM
I'm still a Kubiak supporter. I still want him as our head coach. I'm upset about the way we lost the last game, but so is he. Just because I'm upset doesn't mean I lost faith in the guy.

I'm upset with Matt, the OLine, our LBs, or DBs, all the coaches, McNair, but I'm still a Texan.

This team has looked nothing like I expected, five weeks in. The run game, the pass game, the run D, the pass D. I've been surprised and disappointed, impressed & dumbfounded. I have no idea what's going to happen this season, which games we'll win, which games we'll lose. I only hope they are all more entertaining than Sunday's game was.

I know that you've been one of his biggest supporters for a while. I've disagreed with a ton of your stances on this guy in the past and I still do, but like I told Bill and Dale at least your consistent as far as how you assess the guy and what you expect. Kubes has got a style that I just don't like as a HC and I don't like his stubborness, but I've kept my stance on the guy for like three years now and I think that I'll be proven right, but I hope that I'm not. I hope the guy finds a way to make this a dominant team. Now for the guys that were confident in him and have been for a long time, I don't think losing 2 out of 5 games should shake their confidence just yet though. I think Kubes needs at least 8 games to assess before his strong supporter bail on the guy. We did have two huge wins against the Colts finally and the Redskins which were tough teams. The Cowboys and the Giants are tough teams to beat.

NitroGSXR
10-11-2010, 10:05 PM
Gary and Rick have indeed gotten the team a step or two closer so they deserve some credit but they have reached their peek IMO.
After reading the quotes, Kubiak said something along the lines of he's doing the best he can with what he has. I somewhat took it as a dig to Smith. Kubiak is obviously frustrated because he's never given an inkling to discourse within the staff. This is about to change and I bet it's going to get ugly.

Can't we trade either Kubiak or Rick Smith to the Redskins for draft picks?

thunderkyss
10-11-2010, 10:14 PM
My opinion is that he has the rest of the season to right the ship. If we do not win at least 10 games or make the playoffs, he should be gone, period. That will have been 5 years and that is more time than any other organization would have given a coach. At some point you either take the team to the next level or the team should find someone who can.

You know, people keep saying that, as if that is right. I'm reminded of the saying, "if everybody jumped off a cliff, would you follow?" the truth is every situation is different, every team is different, every coach is different.

Last year was the first year the Falcons had back to back winning seasons, I think that is amazing. The Saints fans spent a decade with bags over their heads. The Buccaneer fans spent decades waiting for a winning season, the Cardinals spent decades before getting to the play-offs, the Lions.... The 49ers, the SeaHawks....

There's no doubt this team could've been built differently. McNair could have given a bunch of money to a guy named Pioli 9 years ago, and a young genius named Mangini, if he was lucky, 4 years later he'd only have to change one or the other.

But this is what it is. If McNair has decided Kubiak gets six years, how do we know six years isn't what it takes to do it this way, through the draft.

Texecutioner
10-11-2010, 10:19 PM
After reading the quotes, Kubiak said something along the lines of he's doing the best he can with what he has. I somewhat took it as a dig to Smith. Kubiak is obviously frustrated because he's never given an inkling to discourse within the staff. This is about to change and I bet it's going to get ugly.

Can't we trade either Kubiak or Rick Smith to the Redskins for draft picks?

You know people like to dog Rick Smith for not ever going after many free agents to fill holes and I'm one of them, but I've always thought that every GM would want to spend as much money as they could on resources for the team and that it would be up to the owner at the end of the day to spend it. I'm sure that Smith would like to spend a lot more money. Why wouldn't he? It seems like it would make his job a lot easier if he could go out and sign a lot of talent. Maybe that's the case or maybe it isn't, but wouldn't you agree that every GM would use all their financial resources if they could? After all it's not their money that they're spending?

Big Lou
10-11-2010, 10:30 PM
I know this is a Kubiak thread, and not the McNair is cheap thread, but I don't really understand that argument to much. How many years have the Texans spent less than the Cap? If so how much below were they if at all.....

kiwitexansfan
10-11-2010, 10:32 PM
You know people like to dog Rick Smith for not ever going after many free agents to fill holes and I'm one of them, but I've always thought that every GM would want to spend as much money as they could on resources for the team and that it would be up to the owner at the end of the day to spend it. I'm sure that Smith would like to spend a lot more money. Why wouldn't he? It seems like it would make his job a lot easier if he could go out and sign a lot of talent. Maybe that's the case or maybe it isn't, but wouldn't you agree that every GM would use all their financial resources if they could? After all it's not their money that they're spending?

Money is not the be all and end all of things, ultimately unless you decide to drastically overpay someone, there will be a lot of teams throwing out similiar monetary offers. Given this winning matters.

We are still a long way from being a championship team when you look at the talent on teams like the Jets and Vikings. Talent attracts talent and we just don't cut it. We are pretty good in the draft but you need to REALLY get lucky to turn a franchise around through the draft only.

DexmanC
10-11-2010, 11:04 PM
Last year was the first year the Falcons had back to back winning seasons, I think that is amazing. The Saints fans spent a decade with bags over their heads. The Buccaneer fans spent decades waiting for a winning season, the Cardinals spent decades before getting to the play-offs, the Lions.... The 49ers, the SeaHawks....

None of those franchises made their turnarounds with the same head coach
for 5-10 years. Kubiak hasn't cut the mustard, and in the opinion of
many fans, this has got to be his LAST chance. No excuses for
coming up short in 2010 for Kubiak. N-O-N-E.

NitroGSXR
10-11-2010, 11:04 PM

I'm not dogging either one. Just begining to notice some growing frustrations within the organization. The hell I know about GMing an NFL team...

thunderkyss
10-11-2010, 11:22 PM
None of those franchises made their turnarounds with the same head coach
for 5-10 years. Kubiak hasn't cut the mustard, and in the opinion of
many fans, this has got to be his LAST chance. No excuses for
coming up short in 2010 for Kubiak. N-O-N-E.

The point is that those teams may have been changing coaches too often. They may have been successful sooner had someone been allowed to build something and see it through.

GP
10-11-2010, 11:51 PM
I'm on record here as theorizing that Rick Smith and Bob McNair are twins. They share the same brain.

What Rick Smith understands is this: He can in essence provide his own job security if he keeps things cheap for Bob.

I think Rick Smith is THE smartest man in the room, because he knows that coaches can be given players yet find a way to lose their head coaching jobs. GMs, though, can maintain the whole time that they supply the talent and help the coaches do what the coaches want. On top of it all, Smith is doing a nice job of being the anti-Casserly when it comes to contract structure(s).

So it has long been my belief that Rick Smith stays even if Kubiak goes. Now we're seeing what some people say are intimations by Kubiak that he does what he can with what he is given. In the past, Kubiak had made little comments (in response to reporter's asking if we "got" Cedric Benson) about how "Aww gee, I dunno. Rick really handles that and I just go and see who we picked up."

I think the party is over. I think Bob and Rick are going steady, and Kubiak is on his way out. And I think the players know it too. They been giving up way too early and too often. Outside of Foster's magnificent destruction of the Colts, which came on OPENING DAY...AT HOME...by the way, this team is acting like they know more than they should. Agree?

Texan_Bill
10-12-2010, 12:21 AM
I was a wait and see guy when Gary first started and I think I saw enough a year or two ago.

That's 'cause I was sneeking you, well................. ????

Jeff S.
10-12-2010, 12:33 AM

Agreed. And I'm depressed and disgusted by it.

This conversation is good for ventilating our anger, but useless. McNair ain't gonna fire him mid season, as well he shouldn't. Who would take his place--Dennison?

The time for evaluation is after the season. We may as well sit back and take it as it comes--and I hope there's not too much "taking it".