PDA

View Full Version : Attitude Concern

Yankee_In_TX
10-11-2010, 09:21 AM
In addition to coaching, or maybe this is part coaching - I'm worried about quotes before the Dallas game and Okoye after the Giants game.

Before Dallas the players drove home it was 'just another game' and how they weren't getting too pumped up or excited.

After the Giants game (I have not heard the audio, only 610 and a caller discuss it) Okoye said something to the effect certian players (implying himself) need to be pumped up and no one pumped them up for the Giants game.

*shakes head*

Really?

HTown2ATX
10-11-2010, 09:24 AM
Yeah, they played the Okoye audio on 610. He did imply himself and the Dallas pre-game comments by the Texans about "just another game" still piss me off too!

:facepalm:

Malloy
10-11-2010, 09:25 AM
In addition to coaching, or maybe this is part coaching - I'm worried about quotes before the Dallas game and Okoye after the Giants game.

Before Dallas the players drove home it was 'just another game' and how they weren't getting too pumped up or excited.

After the Giants game (I have not heard the audio, only 610 and a caller discuss it) Okoye said something to the effect certian players (implying himself) need to be pumped up and no one pumped them up for the Giants game.

*shakes head*

Really?

Sad, but I have a feeling that this is true.

I would fire a couple of players, starting with Slaton, and then hope that some of the more 'relaxed' players would get the meaning.

I believe that attitude, or lack thereof, is the _real_ problem with this team, some of that is on the players and some of that is on coaching. In other words, it's coaches job to have players 'ready' come gametime, but the players that lack the 'spunk'...

I called it 'mental steam' a few weeks ago, and I still believe this to be the case.

Cjeremy635
10-11-2010, 09:26 AM

*shakes head*

Really?

I heard what Okoye said on the drive home from the game yesterday. What he was saying was that some players need someone to pump them up before a game. He said some players have the ability to do that themselves, and some rely on others to do that for them. He said that there really wasn't anyone to do that. I was kind of left scratching my head after hearing him sat that. He kept talking in circles, so it was kind of hard to fully understand what he was getting at. The only thing you can get out of it was that he was saying that they don't have a leader that fires up the players before a game....whether that be a coach or a player.

GNTLEWOLF
10-11-2010, 09:30 AM
I heard what Okoye said on the drive home from the game yesterday. What he was saying was that some players need someone to pump them up before a game. He said some players have the ability to do that themselves, and some rely on others to do that for them. He said that there really wasn't anyone to do that. I was kind of left scratching my head after hearing him sat that. He kept talking in circles, so it was kind of hard to fully understand what he was getting at. The only thing you can get out of it was that he was saying that they don't have a leader that fires up the players before a game....whether that be a coach or a player.

So....all that money they make isn't enough to motivate them? Maybe if some of them were cut and they found out nobody else would want their sorry a@@es that would fire the remaining players up.
And I do have Okoye in mind....

Cjeremy635
10-11-2010, 09:54 AM
They just replayed it on 610 and are discussing his comments. He talked in circles a lot, but I was pretty spot on with what he said.....just in a more refined way. :cool:

burro
10-11-2010, 09:59 AM
As a fan that's disheartening to hear. I mean we're still in the hunt for the playoffs, going up against a solid team in the Giants and, most importantly, playing at home...shouldn't that be enough motivation for people that supposedly love football and aren't just out there to make a fat check? Hearing this makes me think of that indifferent look Schaub puts on when the team is playing poorly and that stupid "aw shucks!" look on Kubiak's face. Then I think of the 49ers game last night, they lost, but Singletary chewed Alex Smith's ass he straightened up and made it a game again, I at least have respect for the 49ers, because they try. This Houston team, despite sitting on a winning record, does not deserve the league's and/or fan's respect, yesterday's game is ample evidence of that imo, especially if the reason for such failure is "we're not motivated".

/rant

Grams
10-11-2010, 10:15 AM
The first game against the Colts, they came out motivated. After the win, it just looks like they got the attitude - we are the best, we beat the Colts, we don't need to be motivated any longer - we can beat anybody now without even trying.

Each game since they look worse than the one before. There is no fire, no drive, no "want to win" attitude at all.

What happened to all these team captains, can they not motivate this team? If not, why are they captains? That is their job.

Somebody needs to chew their butts, but good.

kiwitexansfan
10-11-2010, 10:17 AM
I think they are saving their emotional energy for the playoffs.

Honoring Earl 34
10-11-2010, 10:17 AM
They just replayed it on 610 and are discussing his comments. He talked in circles a lot, but I was pretty spot on with what he said.....just in a more refined way. :cool:

Kubiak's coaching style is one that assumes his players are self motivated pros . To me the proof is in the pudding that the Texans relax at home no matter who they play , except for the Colts on opening day . I know there are exceptions but they seem to be in December after it's to late .

Cjeremy635
10-11-2010, 10:18 AM
The first game against the Colts, they came out motivated. After the win, it just looks like they got the attitude - we are the best, we beat the Colts, we don't need to be motivated any longer - we can beat anybody now without even trying.

Each game since they look worse than the one before. There is no fire, no drive, no "want to win" attitude at all.

What happened to all these team captains, can they not motivate this team? If not, why are they captains? That is their job.

Somebody needs to chew their butts, but good.

I agree. Also, this can NOT be put on the fans. We were in our seats before the game started and that place was pretty loud. The players just didn't feed off of what the fans were giving them....period.

eriadoc
10-11-2010, 10:19 AM
Ok0ye is a bust. That's bad enough, but then the coaches keep putting him out there, because they've never come up with anyone to replace him. And now he says this.

Ok0ye is Kubiak's guy, though.

SheTexan
10-11-2010, 10:39 AM
Structure their contracts so they DON'T get paid for embarrassing their FANS and the franchise that pays them the big bucks, and I bet their attitude would change. NO ONE, players or coaches, should get paid for that pathetic display of so called football we saw yesterday! THEY should have to pay the fans!! How bout one of those lazy SOBs paying for my season tickets next year, that is IF we have a next year!!

Dread-Head
10-11-2010, 10:43 AM
I think they are saving their emotional energy for the playoffs.

(in best Jim Mora voice) "Play...play offs?! Play offs?! Are you kiddin' me? Play offs?! Don't talk about the play offs!"

Let's also consider something. Kubiak is an offense minded coach. Defense is an after thought to him.

jaayteetx
10-11-2010, 10:44 AM
What caught my eye, most of you probably didn't see it unless your seats were right by the Texans sideline, was after the Giants scored their third TD DeMeco was on the sidelines smiling like the Texans just scored. WTF? Maybe I'm overreacting but I want to see some fire and some anger when stuff like that happens!

HTown2ATX
10-11-2010, 10:50 AM
What caught my eye, most of you probably didn't see it unless your seats were right by the Texans sideline, was after the Giants scored their third TD DeMeco was on the sidelines smiling like the Texans just scored. WTF? Maybe I'm overreacting but I want to see some fire and some anger when stuff like that happens!

I didn't see this as I was not at the game and by that time I started the grill up and was in and out, but I heard it brought up by a few people on 610 this morning so you are not the only one that noticed. It pisses me off too, but soooooooooo much about this team's collective effort yesterday just makes my head hurt too much. :headhurts:

Grams
10-11-2010, 10:58 AM
I don't think they actually care if they win the game or not. That's the attitude I get from watching them. It's just a game to them. No big deal if we lose.

Until somebody takes them out behind the woodshed and beats the crap out of them, it will be just the same old thing every week. Lose one, come out the next game with a little more fire, if we win, then the following week we will lay down and get trounced again.

thegr8fan
10-11-2010, 10:59 AM
Can we get Mike Ditka to come in and give them an 'Attitude Adjustment'.

He would be the perfect candidate for the new 'Attitude Coaching' position the Texans need to add to their payroll. :cool:

On second thought, lets just make him the HC. :thinking:

SheTexan
10-11-2010, 11:03 AM

So the team even considers themselves a JOKE??? What the hell is going on here?! They ALL have the attitude that every game is "just another game" and then they have the audacity to NOT take a butt kicking like yesterday seriously??? Geeezzz, I need to get off this board and get busy, cause I'm getting seriously PISSED OFF!!

steelbtexan
10-11-2010, 11:11 AM
Why are OkOye and Okam still on the team.

The only thing OkOye is wave his arms to get the crowd fired up. Followed by getting his a** blown off the ball.

Maybe he should go back to doing his humanitarian missions in Nigeria during the offseason. Atleast he will be doing some good. It appears that the football thing isn't working out for him.

I believe that I'll go back to work. Even though nobody has given me a motivational speech.

Yankee_In_TX
10-11-2010, 11:13 AM
I don't think they actually care if they win the game or not. That's the attitude I get from watching them. It's just a game to them. No big deal if we lose.

It seems they use 'one game at a time' to CYA and 'we have a whole season to think about' as an excuse not to hype up a particular game.

Sigh.

DexmanC
10-11-2010, 11:14 AM
Okoye gets in trouble sometimes, because he allows the true attitude of
the team to come out of his mouth. The kid is like an unfiltered three
year old. Listen to him, and you'll get raw truth about how the focus
of this team truly is.

This team has 11 games left. FIVE against the AFC South (they could lose 'em all.)

ONE against the Eagles (Vick OR Kolb can get the ball to those young receivers.
I'd hate to see Jackson torch us.)

and the Chiefs (well coached, young team)

Chargers (Philip Rivers will light this secondary up)

Jets (As soon as the Texans get tired of chasing LT, Sanchez has plenty of weapons up top.)

Ravens (Flacco is erratic, but he has Boldin and McGahey. RayRay's gonna make sure the Texans get
busted in the mouth.)

Broncos (I have NO idea how this team's gonna look when they play the Texans.)

Realistically, if the Texans expect to make postseason, they must find SEVEN wins out of the next
ELEVEN games.

Texans34Life
10-11-2010, 11:15 AM
Manchild needs some pampering....

http://bohemianboomer.com/images/uploads/2010/09/crying_baby.jpg

eriadoc
10-11-2010, 11:51 AM
Let's also consider something. Kubiak is an offense minded coach. Defense is an after thought to him.

Defense is an afterthought to most of the NFL, if you hadn't noticed, LOL.

I don't really fault Kubiak too much for what he is, to be honest, as long as he addresses the issue. He's an offensive coach, so he's hired defensive minds to run the defense. I'm OK with that if they're getting the job done. Ray Rhodes, for all his accolades, doesn't seem to be having much positive effect on this defense. Or if he is, I'd hate to see the team without him, YIKES! Frank Bush being hired without even interviewing Gregg Williams is looking worse and worse all the time.

And then the very bottom line: Kubiak is the guy who picked these players. He collects the input from his coaches, sure. He listens to his scouts, sure. Rick Smith is the GM, sure, but he's Kubiak's hand-picked GM. This team is 100% Kubiak's team.

The buck stops at the top, like it or not.

cuppacoffee
10-11-2010, 11:59 AM
So the team even considers themselves a JOKE??? What the hell is going on here?! They ALL have the attitude that every game is "just another game" and then they have the audacity to NOT take a butt kicking like yesterday seriously??? Geeezzz, I need to get off this board and get busy, cause I'm getting seriously PISSED OFF!!

Guess this was in fact "just another game".

I stated a few weeks ago this team was counterfeit, and I now fear I was correct in my assessment.

I feel bad for all you cheering, tailgating, die hard fans, you deserve better.

I fear another losing season coming up.

I am still a fan but not nearly as invested financially / emotionally as most of you are.

The Kubiak watch commences.

:coffee:

cuppacoffee
10-11-2010, 12:14 PM

*shakes head*

Really?

Agreed. If 70,000 fans screaming and cheering cannot get him motivated maybe its time he moved on.

Attention Kubiak: Your team needs motivating (?) maybe cutting Amobe from the team will motivate the others to show up for work. Just a suggestion. You do realize that the same ole same ole ain't working...right?

It ain't like he will be missed.

:coffee:

TheCD
10-11-2010, 12:17 PM
Can we get Mike Ditka to come in and give them an 'Attitude Adjustment'.

He would be the perfect candidate for the new 'Attitude Coaching' position the Texans need to add to their payroll. :cool:

On second thought, lets just make him the HC. :thinking:

You sure about that? He might trade our whole draft for Ricky Williams...

thegr8fan
10-11-2010, 12:25 PM
Or he might turn this team into the 85 bears. Either way, the smiling on the sidelines while your getting your butt handed to you in a suitcase attitude of this team would not exist under Ditka.

TheCD
10-11-2010, 12:32 PM
Or he might turn this team into the 85 bears. Either way, the smiling on the sidelines while your getting your butt handed to you in a suitcase attitude of this team would not exist under Ditka.

Agreed. I'm a defensive-minded person and it pains me to watch this defense (I really enjoy watching DB's, but heaven knows I have to resist that urge with the Texans). I really want a no-nonsense, angry coach. Simply put, I want someone who will put the players in their place when they screw up, a la Mike Singletary.

SheTexan
10-11-2010, 12:42 PM
I want someone who will put the players in their place when they screw up, a la Mike Singletary.

Man, I would LOVE to have been able to read lips last night!! Whatever Singletary said to Alex Smith worked!! Dude became possessed, just way to late!! He was one ticked off coach!!

Buffi2
10-11-2010, 12:51 PM
It is apparent that the players, for some reason, don't care about winning. They don't appear to even care about each other and that is an even bigger problem, imho. I don't know if it is because so many are, honestly, pretty young and they think this big paycheck is going to last forever or we've managed to put together a group of players who don't have any killer instinct whatsoever. A team might be able to overcome a couple of players who don't care - but a whole team that just folds rather than fight back? I do know we need a person or persons to haul off and knock the p*** out of those cream puffs each and every time they slack off. Literally.

TexCanada
10-11-2010, 12:54 PM
The only time I saw Okoye pumped up was when he was celebrating a play when we were down 20-some points. I think everybody who saw that had a "WTF is he doing?" moment. Getting your ass kicked is nothing to celebrate Amobi.

silvrhand
10-11-2010, 01:55 PM

Sorry, Buddy Ryan was the reason the 85 bears defense was so dominant IMHO.

RTP2110
10-11-2010, 01:59 PM
The guys on our team seem like players who go out and play hard just for the satisfaction of knowing that, individually, they had a good game. If the team happens to win, that's just a bonus. I don't sense that too many of them have the burning desire to win. I want to see guys getting on to each other isf someone screws up. I don't see anyone who seems genuinely mad when they lose. Disappointed maybe, but not mad. (Why do I feel like I'm describing the old #23?)

It doesn't seem like anyone is afraid of getting chewed out if they screw up. They sure as hell aren't getting benched, because we have no talent beyond our 1st stringers. What repercussions are there for playing poorly on this team?

Maybe this is a youth/maturity issue, but I fell like the team gets too high on themselves when they are successful. I don't just mean winning games, but also just by making plays in a game. We all remember the Colts huge gain in that comeback last year when our defense wasn't ready because they were too damn busy dancing around in the Colts backfield after a routine tackle for loss.

This team needs to bear down and focus. They need too take each game as serious as the others. Remember how the Colts were saying that the Texans were too hyped up for the opener? Well, sure we won that game, but you can see where they had a point because our guys are sleepwalking through the rest of the schedule.

beerlover
10-11-2010, 02:03 PM
some kind of adjustment http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niMbPcibp9M

JCTexan
10-11-2010, 05:19 PM
As a fan that's disheartening to hear. I mean we're still in the hunt for the playoffs, going up against a solid team in the Giants and, most importantly, playing at home...shouldn't that be enough motivation for people that supposedly love football and aren't just out there to make a fat check? Hearing this makes me think of that indifferent look Schaub puts on when the team is playing poorly and that stupid "aw shucks!" look on Kubiak's face. Then I think of the 49ers game last night, they lost, but Singletary chewed Alex Smith's ass he straightened up and made it a game again, I at least have respect for the 49ers, because they try. This Houston team, despite sitting on a winning record, does not deserve the league's and/or fan's respect, yesterday's game is ample evidence of that imo, especially if the reason for such failure is "we're not motivated".

/rant

Agreed. I'm a defensive-minded person and it pains me to watch this defense (I really enjoy watching DB's, but heaven knows I have to resist that urge with the Texans). I really want a no-nonsense, angry coach. Simply put, I want someone who will put the players in their place when they screw up, a la Mike Singletary.

You guys realize the Mike Singletary 49ers are 0-5 right now, right? That is a team that is arguably in the worst division in the NFL & was predicted to win that division in the off-season. Sorry... I won't trade Kubiak for someone who hasn't had a win yet & is in last place in the NFC West.

Wolf
10-11-2010, 05:39 PM
The only time I saw Okoye pumped up was when he was celebrating a play when we were down 20-some points. I think everybody who saw that had a "WTF is he doing?" moment. Getting your ass kicked is nothing to celebrate Amobi.

I saw that too, I think it was after an INT where he jumped up..

reading some of this... for the first time that this has ever crossed my mind is could be bring Jimmy Johnson in for consulting

also.. watching NFL network yesterday morning, they were talking about Wade Phillips and his speech after the Texans game where Wade tells the team that he wants to see the same type of urgency week in and week out..

the guys in the studio where shaking their heads, because the coach shouldn't have to be reminding the players to be playing with urgency week in and week out.

TimeKiller
10-11-2010, 05:40 PM
I just ask if not for the fans, the coach or the owner....if not for the 10 other guys standing around you taking ANOTHER beating from ANOTHER offense....FOR THEMSELVES!

When? WHEN do they show just the slightest little eency-weency bit of personal pride in THEMSELVES and THEIR ABILITY?! All this head hanging is killing me.

If losing doesn't make you mad, make your pride hurt a bit then your paycheck is too big.

TheCD
10-11-2010, 05:48 PM
You guys realize the Mike Singletary 49ers are 0-5 right now, right? That is a team that is arguably in the worst division in the NFL & was predicted to win that division in the off-season. Sorry... I won't trade Kubiak for someone who hasn't had a win yet & is in last place in the NFC West.

I never said I wanted Mike Singletary...I just want a guy with fire like him. When I was in high school, if you blew an assignment or screwed something up you had better not come back to the sideline or you were gonna get something pretty wicked. When it comes to coaching I believe in giving your players high expectations and standing back to let them do something great. If they royally screw up...then you bring the onslaught of words and emasculation that is properly deserved.

beerlover
10-11-2010, 06:01 PM
I've seen a big transformation in the Stanford Cardinals since Jim Harbaugh took over, personafied with more grit & toughness even though he is a former NFL QB he is actually an excellent defensive coach. He will be an excellent head coach someday in the NFL but not sure the timing is right for him to step up this soon & fill "HOT SEAT" in Houston :chili:

dalemurphy
10-11-2010, 06:11 PM
Why are OkOye and Okam still on the team.

The only thing OkOye is wave his arms to get the crowd fired up. Followed by getting his a** blown off the ball.

Maybe he should go back to doing his humanitarian missions in Nigeria during the offseason. Atleast he will be doing some good. It appears that the football thing isn't working out for him.

I believe that I'll go back to work. Even though nobody has given me a motivational speech.

Not true regarding Okoye. He's been solid to good, with the exception of the Washington game, in which he was injured... here's some video evidence of the good:

Okoye vs. Oakland (http://www.texansbullblog.com/isolated-review-amobis-ankle/featured-articles/isolated-review/)

Okoye vs. Indy (http://www.texansbullblog.com/amobi-okoye-arrived/news/)