PDA

View Full Version : Observations from the Giants game

dalemurphy
10-11-2010, 01:33 AM
Well, I was at Reliant and have also struggled through the majority of the game on DVR. With the wounds still open, here are some late night observations of that fiasco:

1. With David Anderson returning punts and Steve Slaton returning kicks, we are essentially forfeiting special teams to the opponent. Steve Slaton is literally the worst kickoff returner that I have ever seen… and, that may include the fat linemen that occasionally get in the way of the squib kick and attempt to field and run it for a few yards. David Anderson has absolutely no belief in his ability to make a play on, whether returning punts or running routes. With the situation at WR and returner right now, they have got to bring in some guys this week. I’m not sure what is out there (Devin Thomas) but surely they can find a guy with some speed that can play special teams and is willing to wear #80 something.

2. The “keep it simple” philosophy on defense is not doing these young CBs any favors. Instead, every veteran QB we play simply strolls up to the line and quickly assesses exactly what the coverage is, where the biggest mismatch is, and where the blitz (if there is one) is coming from. Showing Eli Manning that Kareem Jackson is going to be isolated on Hakeem Nicks with 20 seconds left on the play clock may not be the best defensive philosophy. A little disguise might help the guy out a little. Just a thought!

3. Boy, Matt Schaub stunk it up today! I mean, wow. Even before he knew Winston and Butler would be imitating turnstyles all afternoon, he was unsure and inaccurate… probably not the best combination of attributes to put on display against an aggressive defense.

CONTINUE THE PAIN! (http://www.texansbullblog.com/sleep-vent/news/)

Malloy
10-11-2010, 01:44 AM
Good read, thanks.

What struck me watching the game was the... unimaginative playcalling, either a half-assed attempt at running the ball or a shot downfield... Last year I remember us being able to make alot of yards real fast with 10-15 yard passes, an ability we seem to have lost during the off-season. I'm wondering if it is a personel-problem, or more likely the playcalling is horribly one-sided and predictable. Dennison is calling the plays now?

FirstTexansFan
10-11-2010, 06:58 AM
There should be an option so when you neg rep someone for their questionable IQ shown by their sheer number of posts in multiple threads, it bans their account :)

JB
10-11-2010, 07:02 AM
LaidownTexans&coaches!

Another big game, another big time BLOW OUT LOST at home! The same , old dead-fense surprise no one again! The DEAD-last defense allowed every teams that played them an average of 408yrds per game, a fun field day passing, and for the biggest bonus of all,..a guarantee of 25.5 points or higher if they are not satisfied! The pathetic NFL WORST secondary DB should be cut, especially K Jackson. He is a BIGGEST BUST since Carr, what a big time loser,…he got creamed(Kreamed) on every single games,…TOO SHORT!TOO SLOW!TOO many big plays/TDs giver! The dead-fense never shown up on any games!
Frank Bush should be FIRED ASAP! You don't belong in the NFL (Not For Loser!)
We thought the Texans & Coaches staff learned a hard lesson after the Cowdungboys , but no, history repeated itself again , and again!

Let the grade report be shown!
Against the NFC East Cowdungboys & GiddyGiants

Dead-fense grade- --F that's 5 games straight & counting!
Off-fense grade--- F off day in big time game again, especially at HOME!
Special less Team ---F lots of same, old, dumb miscued & penalties!
Coaches Staff ----- F- Got out-coached again, 5 days to prepared, and that's the result!

The second Blow Out games in front of 70K+home fans, Mr. Mac air, Senior G. Bush , is beyond Pathetic, the Suckle Texans look like the first year NFL expansion team again, again & again!

Fifth! I found them all. Do I win a prize?

JB
10-11-2010, 07:03 AM
There should be an option so when you neg rep someone for their questionable IQ shown by their sheer number of posts in multiple threads, it bans their account :)

Well, and least he can cut & paste...

hradhak
10-11-2010, 07:14 AM
I've also never understood how Schaub gets so many passes tipped at the line. He's 6'5", and I guess he never pump fakes?

I agree with Malloy. Even when were without OD last year we were able to chew up yards and then struggle to punch it in. I'd rather have that than struggling to punch it in now. I was always under the impression that l'il Shanny was calling plays but Kubiak was listening in. Is that the case with Dennison?

hradhak
10-11-2010, 07:22 AM
Repost

TimeKiller
10-11-2010, 07:44 AM
You couldn't be more right about special teams. That is a big. white. flag.

I've never seen a 4-3 defense dominate anything like that. Whatever the Giants are doing on D, the Texans need to try to copy it FAST. Their DBs covered the Texan WR like flies on shit. We, however, couldn't put up 2 seconds of coverage to save the game.

BigBull17
10-11-2010, 08:05 AM
I noticed how many Giant fans there were there yesterday. It was freakin crazy. The Cow****ers I understand, but there were at least 25k Jersey fans out there.

Kaiser Toro
10-11-2010, 08:45 AM
1. With David Anderson returning punts and Steve Slaton returning kicks, we are essentially forfeiting special teams to the opponent. Steve Slaton is literally the worst kickoff returner that I have ever seen… and, that may include the fat linemen that occasionally get in the way of the squib kick and attempt to field and run it for a few yards. David Anderson has absolutely no belief in his ability to make a play on, whether returning punts or running routes. With the situation at WR and returner right now, they have got to bring in some guys this week. I’m not sure what is out there (Devin Thomas) but surely they can find a guy with some speed that can play special teams and is willing to wear #80 something.

Yep, the WR position is a liability right now. I would keep AJ, KW and DD and go to work on filling out the position in the draft and off season.

Blake
10-11-2010, 09:13 AM
I've also never understood how Schaub gets so many passes tipped at the line. He's 6'5", and I guess he never pump fakes?

I agree with Malloy. Even when were without OD last year we were able to chew up yards and then struggle to punch it in. I'd rather have that than struggling to punch it in now. I was always under the impression that l'il Shanny was calling plays but Kubiak was listening in. Is that the case with Dennison?

He has the longest throwing motion I have seen in awhile. Go back and take a look. It is slow and obvious when he is about to pass. My brother does a great job doing a Schaub pass when we play street football.

IDEXAN
10-11-2010, 01:02 PM
8. I’m actually somewhat encouraged by Kareem Jackson and the CBs today. Yes, they were picked on in the first half. However, they responded very well in the second half and were playing much more aggressively. I’m hopeful that the interception Jackson made will give him a little confidence to get things going. He’s too tentative right now and he seemed committed in the second half to go down swinging. As a result, he made some plays and looked much better. Hopefully it will be a trend.
&&
I hope you're right about that DM ?

AnthonyE
10-11-2010, 01:13 PM
I noticed how many Giant fans there were there yesterday. It was freakin crazy. The Cow****ers I understand, but there were at least 25k Jersey fans out there.

It's a lot more noticable when texans fans start to leave the stadium.

TheCD
10-11-2010, 01:48 PM
3. Boy, Matt Schaub stunk it up today! I mean, wow. Even before he knew Winston and Butler would be imitating turnstyles all afternoon, he was unsure and inaccurate… probably not the best combination of attributes to put on display against an aggressive defense.

Matt has always taken a few drives to get into rhythm. That's just the kind of QB he is. You can always count on funky balls being thrown in the first half, and I'll be darned if his first pass of every game isn't normally a clunker that is low and usually hits the ground with the receiver trying to awkwardly grab it.

Matt is a huge step up from what we were accustomed to before him, but he's still a long way off from the QB we expect him to be. We tend to think he's an elite QB when he's not.

I like Matt a lot, but quite frankly I'd rather have Kyle Orton right now than him.