PDA

View Full Version : Something I've noticed twice now before the game

Hervoyel
10-10-2010, 10:54 PM
Anybody else ever watch the beginning of the game where they show the teams (defenses I believe but maybe it's all of them) doing their little "Everybody gather round, shout and chant, and get ourselves worked up" bit? I've only noticed it on the broadcast during the two games we've had on Fox against the Cowboys and the Giants and in both games I thought the Texans looked really flat and like they were going through the motions for the camera while the other teams players looked very intense and fired up doing that junk.

DeMeco leads it and frankly, he doesn't look like he's much into it. We don't have a Ray Lewis personality on our team. Pollard isn't it. He's a mouth who can't cover but talks a bunch. Most of our better players are quiet types. That's not good. They aren't the ones who get everybody else wound up and playing over their heads. There's not a motivator on either side of the ball on this team. Just a bunch of talented followers.

DexmanC
10-10-2010, 10:58 PM
Pollard running his mouth like he does, is gonna run the fanbase cold
if the team performs like this with all of his bravado. "If you don't
give us your respect, we'll TAKE your respect." He's gonna get
a Looney Tunes-style "Yaaaahh Shaaadduuuuupp."

GuerillaBlack
10-10-2010, 10:58 PM
Anybody else ever watch the beginning of the game where they show the teams (defenses I believe but maybe it's all of them) doing their little "Everybody gather round, shout and chant, and get ourselves worked up" bit? I've only noticed it on the broadcast during the two games we've had on Fox against the Cowboys and the Giants and in both games I thought the Texans looked really flat and like they were going through the motions for the camera while the other teams players looked very intense and fired up doing that junk.

DeMeco leads it and frankly, he doesn't look like he's much into it. We don't have a Ray Lewis personality on our team. Pollard isn't it. He's a mouth who can't cover but talks a bunch. Most of our better players are quiet types. That's not good. They aren't the ones who get everybody else wound up and playing over their heads. There's not a motivator on either side of the ball on this team. Just a bunch of talented followers.

I didn't really think about this until now. This is very true.

MEGA SWATT
10-10-2010, 10:59 PM
Something I noticed (THIS SEASON) is that when the Txns lose, they lose BIG. They've never lost one where it could have gone either way.

As for the lack of animation on camera, not too concerning to me.

GuerillaBlack
10-10-2010, 11:00 PM
Something I noticed is that when the Txns lose, they lose BIG. They've never lost one where it could have gone either way.

As for the lack of animation on camera, not too concerning to me.

This wasn't true last year, but it is true this year.

TexansFanatic
10-10-2010, 11:02 PM
Something I noticed is that when the Txns lose, they lose BIG. They've never lost one where it could have gone either way.

Huh?

You mean this season?

Last year, virtually every loss was one they could have won.

MEGA SWATT
This wasn't true last year, but it is true this year.

This is a big concern for me, really big.

imatexan
I have seen Demeco do many pre-game "pump up" speeches and also last year all the games where he was mic'd up and he seems to always get the team fired up and seems sincere.

I did not see the one today so I can't comment on it.

MEGA SWATT
10-10-2010, 11:03 PM
Huh?

You mean this season?

Last year, virtually every loss was one they could have won.

Yes THIS season, I don't care about anything but THIS season.

Norg
10-10-2010, 11:21 PM
This team is past speeches and all that nonsense

like pollard said .. We gonna let the dogs out we gonna Knock da piss outta u

NitroGSXR
10-10-2010, 11:33 PM
I have seen Demeco do many pre-game "pump up" speeches and also last year all the games where he was mic'd up and he seems to always get the team fired up and seems sincere.

I did not see the one today so I can't comment on it.
I saw it from the 600's today. It got me pumped up pretty good. Herv's balling a puddle of playdough here... nothing solid to call home about.

If anything massively failed our defense today... I'd take a gander at the TOP line. I think we had the ball for a grand total of 17 minutes. What was the defense supposed to do with that? Cushing looked pedestrian as well.

GNTLEWOLF
10-10-2010, 11:51 PM
This team is past speeches and all that nonsense

like pollard said .. We gonna let the dogs out we gonna Knock da piss outta u

really???/...When is is gonna start?

thunderkyss
10-11-2010, 12:05 AM
One thing I've noticed, when the other team comes out to warm up before the game, they usually look pretty organized. Their lined up in formation, every body goes through the same stretching exercises, then break up into their groups and work on their individual drills.

We don't ever look that organized.

I wonder when we are on the road, do we look that organized, does the home team just do it different ?

HJam72
10-11-2010, 12:08 AM
I've noticed that when we play at home we don't wear the same uniforms that we do on the road. :thinking:

Pft... Haahahahahaaha!

Sorry, I'm just in a mood...

GuerillaBlack
10-11-2010, 12:36 AM
Yes THIS season, I don't care about anything but THIS season.

The way you made it sound was that it happened all the time. This is just the second time this season. Hopefully the last.

DexmanC
10-11-2010, 04:53 AM
The way you made it sound was that it happened all the time. This is just the second time this season. Hopefully the last.

What have you seen, to make you believe it WILL be the last time we see
this crap? It's actually the THIRD time we've seen it.

New Orleans (preseason)
Dallas
New York Giants

How many kicks in the ass does it take, to get this team to play some
good football?

GuerillaBlack
10-11-2010, 06:21 AM

New Orleans (preseason)
Dallas
New York Giants

good football?

When did I say that? I just said I hope it's the last, though I doubt it will be.

hradhak
10-11-2010, 07:27 AM
It's not like baseball where you can take a few games off and play without any fire. You only get 16 games and so far this year in 5 we have not shown up twice (3 times in 9 games if you count the pre-season). It bothers me that this team wasn't fired up, especially with Cushing coming back.

GuerillaBlack
10-11-2010, 09:02 AM
It's not like baseball where you can take a few games off and play without any fire. You only get 16 games and so far this year in 5 we have not shown up twice (3 times in 9 games if you count the pre-season). It bothers me that this team wasn't fired up, especially with Cushing coming back.

The problem was, they WERE fired up. Especially that first defensive series. Cushing was jumping all around before the ball was snapped and the whole defense looked like they meant business. But, they were punched in the mouth and didn't come out fighting again. They seemed so nonchalant the rest of the game.

eriadoc
10-11-2010, 09:28 AM

New Orleans (preseason)
Dallas
New York Giants

good football?

Preseason doesn't count! There is nothing you can take from preseason! It is indicative of nothing!

At least, that's what people say when the team looks like crap in preseason. Every year, they show some glaring weaknesses in preseason, and every season some posters point them out only to be blasted and told it's "just preseason". Then the regular season comes around and the same problems appear.

DexmanC
10-11-2010, 10:02 AM
Preseason doesn't count! There is nothing you can take from preseason! It is indicative of nothing!

At least, that's what people say when the team looks like crap in preseason.

N.D. Kalu said it best: "Preseason doesn't count, but it definitely MATTERS."

Hervoyel
10-11-2010, 10:58 AM
I saw it from the 600's today. It got me pumped up pretty good. Herv's balling a puddle of playdough here... nothing solid to call home about.

If anything massively failed our defense today... I'd take a gander at the TOP line. I think we had the ball for a grand total of 17 minutes. What was the defense supposed to do with that? Cushing looked pedestrian as well.

I saw a few seconds of it on TV so take it with a grain of salt. On the other hand I could see DeMeco's facial expression as well as the other players standing around him while you were in the 600's and most likely could only hear them shouting. I don't know if this means anything, it's just something I've noticed prior to two games we sleepwalked through.

gtexan02
10-11-2010, 11:01 AM
I saw a few seconds of it on TV so take it with a grain of salt. On the other hand I could see DeMeco's facial expression as well as the other players standing around him while you were in the 600's and most likely could only hear them shouting. I don't know if this means anything, it's just something I've noticed prior to two games we sleepwalked through.

I don't think Nitro was going off of sound... If anything, his facial recognition is probably the best of any of us

NitroGSXR
10-11-2010, 11:16 AM
I am taking it with a grain of salt. They showed the entire pumping up session on the jumbotron as well, a good two minutes. Them guys were psyched until they got busted in the mouth. Keep in mind... we're talking psyched almost a half hour before kickoff. If anything... they need to temper it down and get the timing right. Being psyched in itself is exhausting and doing it a good half hour before is mindnumbing...

TheCD
10-11-2010, 11:24 AM
The problem was, they WERE fired up. Especially that first defensive series. Cushing was jumping all around before the ball was snapped and the whole defense looked like they meant business. But, they were punched in the mouth and didn't come out fighting again. They seemed so nonchalant the rest of the game.

I really think it's the offense that's killing this team. The defense played bad today, but they made plays. We do not have the kind of defense that will win us games in spite of our offense, and I think they know that.

When the offense comes out in that certain way that you know means they're off-kilter that game and it's going to take a total defensive effort to win, I think they try too hard to do too much (e.g. Kareem trying to jump routes and getting schooled by an out-and-up). This quickly leads us to quicksand as our offense comes back out in "oh crap" mode and we're left feeling like Shane Falco.

Buffi2
10-11-2010, 11:37 AM
I think both Hervoyel and Nitro are both onto something. I think we go through the motions of getting fired up before a game and then deflate pretty quickly when what I call the no spunk/just go through the motions Texan team shows up.

This made me think of something Eric Winston said after the game - that everyone needed to look inside themselves and see what else they could do. I've heard that from a number of players during the last two losses. Perhaps they should be thinking about what the team can do - not just themselves. I really think the lack of team in their vocabulary and thinking is a part of the problem. An individual improvement is great but it takes a team improvement also.

Then, when they got in their get the juices flowing before the game huddle, just maybe a bit of spirit could be ignited - team spirit is lacking here big time.

Big Lou
10-11-2010, 12:06 PM

I saw the Dallas "Ra Ra Routine" and it looked flat and forced. However I think those are BS anyway. Guys like Pollard and Cushing don't need those cheers. If you need a cheer to make you want to play, rather than the passion for the game or even the money then get another job. I think it's a waste of energy save it for the game.

Double Barrel
10-11-2010, 12:18 PM
Ray Lewis is a HoF player that inspires his team with his pre-game rituals because he brings it on every play and truly earned the title of play-maker.

We simply do not have that player on our team, no matter how much us fans want it to be true. And until that player emerges with proven play-maker abilities on the field, game in and game out, it is just going through the motions.

And I feel confident in saying that, because in spite of all the jumping and hollering and getting fired up, they played like wet noodles and looked like the pathetic, last ranked defense that they are at the end of the day. None of that pre-game hoopla meant jack to this squad because it translated to diddly-squat on the field.

Norg
10-11-2010, 12:46 PM

this week vs Kansas city

watch texans always come back strong after a loss :P

Rey
10-11-2010, 12:49 PM

Yeah I noticed that and pretty much thought the exact same thing...

Before the game I was thinking...man...they don't look fired up at all...

NitroGSXR
10-11-2010, 12:59 PM
I saw the Dallas "Ra Ra Routine" and it looked flat and forced. However I think those are BS anyway. Guys like Pollard and Cushing don't need those cheers. If you need a cheer to make you want to play, rather than the passion for the game or even the money then get another job. I think it's a waste of energy save it for the game.
Nah. Gotta have some good footage for Sound FX.

NitroGSXR
10-11-2010, 01:13 PM
Ray Lewis is a HoF player that inspires his team with his pre-game rituals because he brings it on every play and truly earned the title of play-maker.

We simply do not have that player on our team, no matter how much us fans want it to be true. And until that player emerges with proven play-maker abilities on the field, game in and game out, it is just going through the motions.

And I feel confident in saying that, because in spite of all the jumping and hollering and getting fired up, they played like wet noodles and looked like the pathetic, last ranked defense that they are at the end of the day. None of that pre-game hoopla meant jack to this squad because it translated to diddly-squat on the field.
We do have that player in Brian Cushing. Cushing gives it his all at all times. Even when we were down yesterday. Problem is... Brian's a all about Brian type of guy. Not what one really aspires to look for on a leader. I also don't think DeMeco is as natural of a leader as we're looking for. Antonio Smith needs to be this guy. He's got the spunk and intensity to lift this team on his shoulders. He will lead if he does well. Unfprtuately he needs quality beside him so he's not doing as well as can be.

thunderkyss
10-11-2010, 02:24 PM

Had we won, we would remember this game differently.

When our defense was rested, they played well enough to win. Forcing stops & turnovers. In the first half, after the only series our offense was able to put together, our defense forced a punt....

In the third Qtr, after resting after the half, out defense kicked butt. Forcing punts, getting two turnovers. Our offense did next to nothing.

a few less 3 & outs on offense, & this would have been a different game.

Rey
10-11-2010, 02:29 PM
a few less 3 & outs on offense, & this would have been a different game.

TK...

I agree with you to a certain extent...

I've said this before, but our offense is not always going to come out and put up twenty and control the clock. The defense can't rely on the offense to do that all the time.

Sometimes they are going to have to come out and win a game for us if we are going to be a good team.

If we are always having to score 20+ points AND dominate TOP then that says more about our defense than it does the offense.

They shouldn't need a great performance from the offense for them to do their jobs. They can force three and outs just like the Giants D can force three and outs. Problem is, they didn't do too much of that.

Get us the ball back, and we might have a longer TOP...works both ways...

Defense hasn't played well in any game yet...They have not won a game for us...

When they are able to win games for us on the occasion that our offense is flat, we will be a much, much better team...As of right now, they can't do it...They make some good plays here and there, but they have yet to string together a dominant game from start to finish...

thunderkyss
10-11-2010, 11:09 PM
TK...

I agree with you to a certain extent...

I've said this before, but our offense is not always going to come out and put up twenty and control the clock. The defense can't rely on the offense to do that all the time.

Sometimes they are going to have to come out and win a game for us if we are going to be a good team.

If we are always having to score 20+ points AND dominate TOP then that says more about our defense than it does the offense.

They shouldn't need a great performance from the offense for them to do their jobs. They can force three and outs just like the Giants D can force three and outs. Problem is, they didn't do too much of that.

Get us the ball back, and we might have a longer TOP...works both ways...

Defense hasn't played well in any game yet...They have not won a game for us...

When they are able to win games for us on the occasion that our offense is flat, we will be a much, much better team...As of right now, they can't do it...They make some good plays here and there, but they have yet to string together a dominant game from start to finish...

Look at the play by play, or watch the game again. Then read what I said. 3 & outs. A little less three & outs from the offense, and it would have been a different game. We forced a three & out the first time we went out there. Then our offense turns over the ball. We were on our heals until our offense was able to put up a four minute drive, then our defense forced another punt. After the half, we force a 3 & out, then two turn overs. Our defense played better than what we've been giving them credit for here... Not top five defense by any means, but better than our offense by a long stretch.

thunderkyss
10-11-2010, 11:11 PM
This is another reason why Barwin, Bullman, & Sheppard are so important. If our DL is going to be able to put consistent pressure on the QB, we have got to get a better rotation going.

GP
10-11-2010, 11:22 PM
I think the Cushing suspension, the Duane Brown suspension, losing Barwin for the year, losing Tate for the year, AJ being hobbled, Jacoby dropping passes that he has to catch in order to make plays when needed, cutting Kris Brown, and some other situations have just deflated this team's psyche.

Arian Foster came out and punched the Colts in the face, and it sort of masked the underlying problems. Then we had to play like our rears were on fire JUST to get the game to overtime vs. Skins, and had to depend on a missed SECOND field goal attempt during the Overtime period in order to win that game.

That takes us to the home game vs. Cowboys. What the HELL have the cowboys done since then? Nothing. Their only win is against the Texans!

Then we almost blew the lead vs. the Raiders.

Which brings us to the Giants game which felt like the Jets game from last year all over again. Getting completely abused in every area. At home.

So now the players see what they're doing to the home fans at these major letdown games in Reliant.

I think the guys are in a bad mojo spot right now. I don't think any of them believe in themselves. They read the stories, too. They watch the shows.

I have said that I wondered how long these guys could get by on their own. How many times could they win one for their head coach? When would they just give up and lay down and tap to get out of the choke? Are they doing that right now? Is this the tremor before the actual earthquake?

Stay tuned...

GP
10-11-2010, 11:25 PM
Hey TK,

So how is your theory goin' from back when we got creamed by the Saints in the preseason? The theory you had about how we were just trying different stuff and not really needing to be concerned?

Because that theory sucks big time. As made evident by how three NFC East teams have kicked our teeth in thus far (with only a few miracles helping us vs. the Skins). Bigger, beefier, hungrier teams can hurt us. Early and often.

Texanmike02
10-12-2010, 12:34 AM

right after you cross the goal line. We will interrupt your TD celebration like no secondary before us.

Mike

Tonaaayyyy
10-12-2010, 12:38 AM
Schaub looked out of place in the pre-game huddle.

Goatcheese
10-12-2010, 02:03 AM
The Texans need this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX39J_YyKbs&

"My heart and my mind will carry my body when my limbs are too weak. "

We need some of that.

thunderkyss
10-12-2010, 07:54 AM
Hey TK,

So how is your theory goin' from back when we got creamed by the Saints in the preseason? The theory you had about how we were just trying different stuff and not really needing to be concerned?

Because that theory sucks big time. As made evident by how three NFC East teams have kicked our teeth in thus far (with only a few miracles helping us vs. the Skins). Bigger, beefier, hungrier teams can hurt us. Early and often.

My theory was that our run defense was going to be as good as it was last year. That the Saints game was a practice game for us, with the DL working on one thing, the LBs working on something else. That's our run D, DL + LBs.

I still feel we'll be pretty good in run defense. At least good enough.

I thought our LBs were playing on their heels, instead of playing run first they were reading the exchange in order to better recognize the PA. I thought they were working on our biggest weakness last year, which was pass coverage especially across the middle of the field.

I believe we are continuing to see our team struggle in that regard. My biggest criticism, was that we changed from that line of thinking for the Cowboy game. Instead of working on our weakness in a game that didn't matter, we played to our strength to win a game that didn't matter.

I understand a big reason our run D looks so good, is because teams abandon the run for whatever reason & throw on us. Against the Colts, that reason was because they were behind, same against the Raiders. But the Skins stopped, because they couldn't run it. The Cowboys stopped, because they couldn't run on us.

I think another week in the line-up from Cushing is going to help us as well as finding someone to substitute in for Mario & Antonio. I think our defense played very well, when they had time to rest.

hradhak
10-12-2010, 08:00 AM
Part of the reason our defense looks bad is they are on the field most of the game. When the offense can't move the ball and punts it after a 3 and out, the D is both demoralized that their previous stop meant nothing and that they got no rest.

That's not to say the defense doesn't have its problems. We're going to give up points and yards, every defense will. The difference is how the other side of the ball responds. If we can eat clock (and we can with our run game) and keep our defense off the field we will do a lot better.