PDA

View Full Version : Questions

burro
10-10-2010, 04:26 PM
Here are a few question's I have:

1) Why is it that Arian Foster has to sit out the majority of a half for a minor team infraction but yet there is NEVER (never ever ever ever ever) any punishment for terrible play? What happens to Texans players when they play like shit, because they certainly don't make their way off the field.

2) Can we stop pretending like Matt Schaub is the bee's knees yet? He is average at best, and he rarely plays his best (I attribute his statistical successes to a great receiving corp).

3) What is the point of calling a play that doesn't reach the first down marker on 3rd down? (Especially considering how abysmal our YAC are on the day) and, going back to Schaub, what is the point of dumping the ball off to a double covered receiver on 3rd and long?

/rant

Maddict5
10-10-2010, 04:28 PM

1) Why is it that Arian Foster has to sit out the majority of a half for a minor team infraction but yet there is NEVER (never ever ever ever ever) any punishment for terrible play? What happens to Texans players when they play like shit, because they certainly don't make their way off the field.

because the texns would have to forfeit their next few games because of number shortages... everybody blew chunks today

Big Lou
10-10-2010, 04:37 PM

You must maintain discipline, and he missed/was late two meetings.

2) Can we stop pretending like Matt Schaub is the bee's knees yet? He is average at best, and he rarely plays his best (I attribute his statistical successes to a great receiving corp).
I think you are overreacting a little bit. Schaub has always started the season slow. Are you saying we should draft a QB next year, because I think we have bigger needs at this point.

3) What is the point of calling a play that doesn't reach the first down marker on 3rd down? (Especially considering how abysmal our YAC are on the day) and, going back to Schaub, what is the point of dumping the ball off to a double covered receiver on 3rd and long?
It's better than a sack.

/rant

Don't mean to piss in your Wheaties, but this team has bigger problems than what you listed.

burro
10-10-2010, 04:50 PM
Don't mean to piss in your Wheaties, but this team has bigger problems than what you listed.

1) Fine. That said, I don't think there is a bigger issue than the team waiting on shit players to not play like shit week after week. When is Kareem Jackson going to be sat down in favor of somebody else? When is Kubiak going to open up on players who give up big plays on defense and blow plays on offense. A strong reprimand for bad play would be a vast improvement over what Kubiak is doing about it now (hoping to God it corrects itself, I guess).

2) Is that really a reasonable excuse? Considering how much was given to have Schaub play for Houston, there shouldn't be a waiting period for him to not play like crap. That said, no, I am not suggesting we draft a QB this off season (at least not in the early rounds). Schaub is not a long term solution either way.

3) That doesn't address the calling such a play, and either way I would prefer Schaub just threw the ball away than throws like that that have no benefit whether completed or not.

DerekLee1
10-10-2010, 06:33 PM
1) Fine. That said, I don't think there is a bigger issue than the team waiting on shit players to not play like shit week after week. When is Kareem Jackson going to be sat down in favor of somebody else? When is Kubiak going to open up on players who give up big plays on defense and blow plays on offense. A strong reprimand for bad play would be a vast improvement over what Kubiak is doing about it now (hoping to God it corrects itself, I guess).

How do you know he doesn't? We don't know what's said behind closed locker room doors. KJ got benched for a good part of the 2nd half today. Slaton got moved down the depth chart in favor of Foster this season. Andre Davis got moved down to 4th for poor play. What the hell do you want them to do? Wear a billboard on the sidelines that says, "I got beat in man coverage"? Or stand with their nose in a corner?

2) Is that really a reasonable excuse? Considering how much was given to have Schaub play for Houston, there shouldn't be a waiting period for him to not play like crap. That said, no, I am not suggesting we draft a QB this off season (at least not in the early rounds). Schaub is not a long term solution either way.

Schaub led the league in passing completions and yards last season, was the Pro Bowl MVP and is generally considered in the elite group of QB's behind Manning, Brady, and Brees. He threw for 500 yards 2 weeks ago and led his team back from a 17-point 4th quarter deficit. When you face a front 7 like the Giants have, throwing the ball with any kind of success is extremely difficult. Just ask Jay Cutler.

3) That doesn't address the calling such a play, and either way I would prefer Schaub just threw the ball away than throws like that that have no benefit whether completed or not.

The play was likely not CALLED that way; it's just the only eligible receiver that was open with the time he had before he got leveled. You ALWAYS try to gain positive yards on EVERY play. Unless you're trying to kill the clock, WHY would you NOT try to make a completion? The receiver could make a man miss, break a tackle, get his face mask grabbed. At least you have a chance. Throwing the ball away gets you nothing but the punting unit.

Pantherstang84
10-10-2010, 06:43 PM
How do you know he doesn't? We don't know what's said behind closed locker room doors. KJ got benched for a good part of the 2nd half today. Slaton got moved down the depth chart in favor of Foster this season. Andre Davis got moved down to 4th for poor play. What the hell do you want them to do? Wear a billboard on the sidelines that says, "I got beat in man coverage"? Or stand with their nose in a corner?

Schaub led the league in passing completions and yards last season, was the Pro Bowl MVP and is generally considered in the elite group of QB's behind Manning, Brady, and Brees. He threw for 500 yards 2 weeks ago and led his team back from a 17-point 4th quarter deficit. When you face a front 7 like the Giants have, throwing the ball with any kind of success is extremely difficult. Just ask Jay Cutler.

The play was likely not CALLED that way; it's just the only eligible receiver that was open with the time he had before he got leveled. You ALWAYS try to gain positive yards on EVERY play. Unless you're trying to kill the clock, WHY would you NOT try to make a completion? The receiver could make a man miss, break a tackle, get his face mask grabbed. At least you have a chance. Throwing the ball away gets you nothing but the punting unit.

Jay Cutler? Really? :lol:

cdollaz
10-10-2010, 06:53 PM
When someone makes the comment that "Schaub is average at best," I refuse to consider or give validity to any further football opinion they state.

Average at best? Really? He is an above-average QB who is having a very average start to the season. To say that he is average at best is just ignorant.

DerekLee1
10-10-2010, 07:28 PM
Jay Cutler? Really? :lol:

Yeah, Jay Cutler that was sacked 9 times in one half and knocked out of 2 weeks of football by the same Giants team that we faced today.