PDA

View Full Version : Cushing: Haunted by Steroid Label

CloakNNNdagger
10-09-2010, 09:45 PM
The New York Daily News today ran this extensive article.

Houston LB Brian Cushing, long dogged by steroid talk, returns to Texans Sunday from suspension (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/2010/10/09/2010-10-09_houston_lb_brian_cushing_long_dogged_by_steroid _talk_returns_to_texans_sunday_fr.html)

Section516
10-09-2010, 09:59 PM
The words sent a chill through her. She asked the man's name, but her son ripped the phone's handle from her fingers before she could listen any longer.

"I'll (expletive) kill you," the son shouted into the mouthpiece.

Cushing was an angry man before..Now, I seriously worry. God, I can see him just losing it and going apeshit on someone.

"If we had traced it, I don't know that he would be on this earth or I would be a free man," says Brian Cushing, who stands 6-foot-3, 260 pounds. "Family is off limits."

JB
10-09-2010, 10:06 PM
The New York Daily News today ran this extensive article.

Houston LB Brian Cushing, long dogged by steroid talk, returns to Texans Sunday from suspension (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/2010/10/09/2010-10-09_houston_lb_brian_cushing_long_dogged_by_steroid _talk_returns_to_texans_sunday_fr.html)

Wow! The most informative article I have read about Cush!

I really liked reading the following:

The text message arrived on Cushing's phone after the Texans took their opener over the Colts last month. It was from Norton Jr., now with the Seattle Seahawks.

They're better without you.

"With or without Brian, the NFL goes on," Norton Jr. says.

On Wednesday morning at 7:45, Texans coach Gary Kubiak stood in front of his team for a meeting, and made an announcement.

"I want to welcome a new player," he said, "Brian Cushing, Southern California."

He was razzed by teammates, told that he was on vacation the last four weeks.

"My favorite Cushing moment was when he became the first two-time rookie of the year," says Antonio Smith, referring to the fact that Cushing retained his award when writers revoted after his suspension was revealed. "That got a lot of laughs."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/2010/10/09/2010-10-09_houston_lb_brian_cushing_long_dogged_by_steroid _talk_returns_to_texans_sunday_fr.html?page=3#ixzz 11uxNT24v

Ryans, the 2005 Defensive Rookie of the Year, remembers what Cushing is like on game day. As at USC, he vomits before each kickoff, making his way into the bathroom to do so out of habit. He emerges with a reddened face and blood-shot eyes.

"I'm like, ‘Well, he got that out of his system,'" Ryans says. "Let's go hit somebody."

I almost feel sorry for Bradshaw, Jacobs, Boss, Manning and any other Giant tomorrow. They are going to be very sore.
Expecially whoever is on the receiving end of that first hit!!!

:headhurts:

:fans:

Section516
10-09-2010, 10:07 PM
The man lives football..That is his life. That is all. It's crazy to wondert what the last four weeks have done for his psyche.

NitroGSXR
10-09-2010, 10:12 PM
Vomits before each kickoff?

JB
10-09-2010, 10:30 PM

Yep. Still gets nervous.

Section516
10-09-2010, 10:31 PM

Cush is so hardcore, he docent want food weighing him down

Rey
10-09-2010, 10:35 PM
Cushing better bring it tommorrow.

JB
10-09-2010, 10:40 PM
Cushing better bring it tommorrow.

My only concern is that he may be too fired up.

Rey
10-09-2010, 10:46 PM
My only concern is that he may be too fired up.

One thing that I've noticed about Cushing is that when he addresses the media he has always seemed to have his head about him.

He has even said, that he can't get too excited, that he must remember that he is part of a defense, and that he has to remain sound in his techniques and responsibilities.

I am not worried about him getting too excited and costing us by giving up a big play...But I am a bit concerned that he might get a roughness call or something. That's not all that big a deal IMO.

But I think something we have to remember is that it wasn't really all that long ago that he played in a game and put pads on and hit...It was only a month ago...

So it's not like he hasn't played in two years and he's gonna blow his load the second she touches his neck.

I just know that he better show me something tomorrow...All the articles written and all the videos posted...

He better bring the noise.

toxictrix
10-09-2010, 11:04 PM
I really want to know how his house is only 1700 sq ft. With a theater and 5 bedrooms.

powerfuldragon
10-09-2010, 11:29 PM
[edit] nevermind. as you were.

Maddict5
10-09-2010, 11:33 PM

ha if you're thinking what i think you are- no it just means before every game lol! he doesnt vomit 5-6 times a game.. poorly worded though

grea article. rep for finding it. beats the 5 paragraph stories the chron throws out. its the first i heard about cush actually passing that lie detector test, i knew he was saying he'd take one but thats far as i thought it went

the dude lives & breathes football. how can you not love having a player like that?

jaayteetx
10-10-2010, 12:15 AM
I really want to know how his house is only 1700 sq ft. With a theater and 5 bedrooms.

Ya, exactly what I was wondering, gotta be a typo.

Jeff S.
10-10-2010, 01:22 AM

The 1700 sq. ft. probably was just the theater.

Mr. White
10-10-2010, 01:24 AM
Badass article. There no cyborgs walking the earth right now to the best of my knowledge.

Cushing is as close as it gets. The 56 Million Dollar Man.

RagingBull
10-10-2010, 01:58 AM
Looked it up on Ft. Bend Appraisal district and it is 7000 sq. ft.

http://www.fbcad.org/Appraisal/PublicAccess/PropertySearch.aspx?PropertySearchType=2&SelectedItem=8&PropertyID=&PropertyOwnerID=&NodeID=11

Ryan
10-10-2010, 02:03 AM
I feel like punching someone hardcore right now from that. The Beast gets unleashed in 11 hours!

Jackie Chiles
10-10-2010, 02:05 AM
Looked it up on Ft. Bend Appraisal district and it is 7000 sq. ft.

http://www.fbcad.org/Appraisal/PublicAccess/PropertySearch.aspx?PropertySearchType=2&SelectedItem=8&PropertyID=&PropertyOwnerID=&NodeID=11

Hopefully that info doesn't include a phone number, would hate to lose Brian for an even more extended period of time.

DexmanC
10-10-2010, 04:47 AM
Ken Norton was a mean coach. Texting Brian after the Colts game:

"They're better without you."

SheTexan
10-10-2010, 05:56 AM
Gawd, I hate being "behind times." BUT, what does "button-hooked" to Texas mean?

Geeeezzzz!! I feel OLD!!:shetexan:

texansdrummer
10-10-2010, 06:06 AM
Great article...thanks for sharing.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

False Start
10-10-2010, 07:25 AM
Very cool CnD! Damn I cant wait to see that number 56 on the field at Reliant today. :cutthroat:

I would love to hear Kubiak's reaction to, "are you satisfied?"

CloakNNNdagger
10-10-2010, 08:35 AM
Gawd, I hate being "behind times." BUT, what does "button-hooked" to Texas mean?

Geeeezzzz!! I feel OLD!!:shetexan:

Sandy, you're not behind the times. The writer just creatively used this phrase to connote that there was similar on-going "attachment" of the steroid cloud that followed him to Texas.

kiwitexansfan
10-10-2010, 08:57 AM
7000 calorie diet, YIKES.

CloakNNNdagger
10-10-2010, 09:53 AM
The words sent a chill through her. She asked the man's name, but her son ripped the phone's handle from her fingers before she could listen any longer.

"I'll (expletive) kill you," the son shouted into the mouthpiece.

Cushing was an angry man before..Now, I seriously worry. God, I can see him just losing it and going apeshit on someone.

"If we had traced it, I don't know that he would be on this earth or I would be a free man," says Brian Cushing, who stands 6-foot-3, 260 pounds. "Family is off limits."

Controlled anger can be appropriate and justified........and constructive. But uncontrolled anger tends to be quite destructive. My father always reminded me that anger is just one letter away from danger..........yes, possibly to others, but always to oneself. Hopefully, Cushing is capable of harnessing his anger.

ObsiWan
10-10-2010, 09:58 AM

I read somewhere that Bill Russell used to do that too. Nervous energy?

hradhak
10-10-2010, 10:01 AM
Hell, if I ate 7000 calories a day I'd probably vomit too :-)

headsplint
10-10-2010, 10:23 AM
I feel like punching someone hardcore right now from that. The Beast gets unleashed in 11 hours!

TRUE!

I just sprinted into the living room, did a swim move around the recliner and tackled my wife.

Awesome article.

In the days before a game against rival St. Joseph's in 2004, word made it back to Cushing that players planned to injure him. After his Crusaders ran onto the field, he stood at midfield by himself, an army of one, staring down the opposing Green Knights. I thought this in particular was epic.

Number19
10-10-2010, 10:30 AM

Geeeezzzz!! I feel OLD!!:shetexan:Button hook? Dang, when did I learn about this? Had to be from my grandmother over fifty years ago.

A button hook is an instrument that woman used to help button themselves up, having a handle and a piece of wire with a small "J" hook in the end.

Used in the context of the article, the accusations followed Brian from the East Coast to the West Coast and then "buttoned hooked", ie made a 180 deg turn or hook, back to Texas.

(edit) There is also a pass pattern/route, usually run by the tight end, that is called "button hook". The receiver runs straight down the field, abruptly stops and turns 180 degrees and comes back a few steps toward the QB. It's almost unstoppable when properly executed by a good QB/TE combination.

TheRealJoker
10-10-2010, 11:20 AM
There will be more Cushing for the Pushing starting today on defense!!!

Malloy
10-10-2010, 11:29 AM
Controlled anger can be appropriate and justified........and constructive. But uncontrolled anger tends to be quite destructive. My father always reminded me that anger is just one letter away from danger..........yes, possibly to others, but always to oneself. Hopefully, Cushing is capable of harnessing his anger.

I'll remember that one!

Real good article all around, I enjoyed the read, thanks! :)

DexmanC
10-10-2010, 11:59 AM
There will be more Cushing for the Pushing starting today on defense!!!

Especially up the middle.

DerekLee1
10-10-2010, 09:35 PM

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. My guess is typo, That's gotta be 3700 sq feet.

On another note, dude has a HYPERBARIC CHAMBER in his office!!!!

silvrhand
10-10-2010, 09:55 PM
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. My guess is typo, That's gotta be 3700 sq feet.

On another note, dude has a HYPERBARIC CHAMBER in his office!!!!

He'll need it for the beating he took today.. so much for him helping the defense.

Grams
10-11-2010, 07:30 AM
Cushing has created an enclave in the 7,000-square foot home he bought for $1.3 million on the Sienna Plantation of Missouri City, Texas, a master planned community 20 miles southwest of Houston.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/2010/10/09/2010-10-09_houston_lb_brian_cushing_long_dogged_by_steroid _talk_returns_to_texans_sunday_fr.html?page=3#ixzz 1235YgC26