PDA

View Full Version : Trade Jacoby.......... Yes Or No

gary
10-09-2010, 09:00 PM
So, what do you all think about that? Just hear me out before going crazy. We all know the talent he has and we also know he drops some passes and still has not become what we all would like him to. With Jacoby's contract being up in 2011 and Dickerson waiting in the wings I am not sure about Jones resigning with the Texans. That being said, I like Jacoby and what he brings to the team. The NFL trading deadline is looming and the Randy Moss trade got me thinking about Jones. Should the Texans try and get something in return for Jones or just wait and take their chances on him not resigning and just walking. What do you think the chances are Jones does finish the season strong and resings with the Texans? I hope he does but you never know. I just hate to see him walk away for nothing as would be the case with anyone who has true talent. Well, what are your thoughts? Remember I am just thinking that's all. Any thoughts or comments on this? Thanks.

NitroGSXR
10-09-2010, 09:08 PM
So, what do you all think about that? Just hear me out before going crazy. We all know the talent he has and we also know he drops some passes and still has not become what we all would like him to. With Jacoby's contract being up in 2011 and Dickerson waiting in the wings I am not sure about Jones resigning with the Texans. That being said, I like Jacoby and what he brings to the team. The NFL trading deadline is looming and the Randy Moss trade got me thinking about Jones. Should the Texans try and get something in return for Jones or just wait and take their chances on him not resigning and just walking. What do you think the chances are Jones does finish the season strong and resings with the Texans? I hope he does but you never know. I just hate to see him walk away for nothing as would be the case with anyone who has true talent. Well, what are your thoughts? Remember I am just thinking that's all. Any thoughts or comments on this? Thanks.
I somewht felt that Moss was had cheap. That doesn't spell too well for JJ's value. Especially when we're most likely specifically looking for need as opposed to value in return.

gary
10-09-2010, 09:13 PM
I somewht felt that Moss was had cheap. That doesn't spell too well for JJ's value. Especially when we're most likely specifically looking for need as opposed to value in return.That value might turn into a need though through a few draft picks. Maybe so.

SrslySirius
10-09-2010, 09:15 PM
What exactly would you expect to get in return for Jacoby? Surely you must realize how stingy NFL managements are with draft picks. Randy Moss, one of the best receivers in the league, just got exchanged for a third-round pick. He was originally acquired by the Pats for a fourth-round pick.

As much as I like Jacoby Jones, I would have to think that he has virtually zero trade value.

gary
10-09-2010, 09:17 PM
Zero to a team like the Vikings. Moss is much older than Jones too.

JB
10-09-2010, 09:25 PM
JJ has to show something consistently before it is even a possibility.

CloakNNNdagger
10-09-2010, 09:27 PM

Although JJ is still inconsistent, he has become much more consistent, and is much more a factor on the "big play." Let's not crown Dickerson as the next JJ-like player. He is raw, unproven as far as route running and soft hands, and, despite his timed 4.40, he has never demonstrated that runaway speed on the field of play in college.....or in the preseason.

gary
10-09-2010, 09:27 PM
This is a good point.

SrslySirius
10-09-2010, 09:31 PM
Zero to a team like the Vikings. Moss is much older than Jones too.

Old or not, Randy Moss is a hall of famer 2 seasons removed from a 23-touchdown season. Jacoby Jones is a player that most folks outside of Houston have never heard of. When guys like Bernard Pollard and Ladanian Tomlinson are routinely CUT, presumably because no value can be had from trading them, what makes you think we could possibly get something for Jacoby?

powerfuldragon
10-09-2010, 09:33 PM
No.

JB
10-09-2010, 09:35 PM
No.

Care to expound on that?

Texan_Bill
10-09-2010, 09:36 PM
Care to expound on that?

No!!

powerfuldragon
10-09-2010, 09:38 PM
Care to expound on that?

He's one of my favorite guys on the roster, wr's are draftable so they've no intrinsic trade value, and NO>

JB
10-09-2010, 09:38 PM
No!!

Care to expound on that??

JB
10-09-2010, 09:39 PM
He's one of my favorite guys on the roster, wr's are draftable so they've no intrinsic trade value, and NO>

:cool:

ObsiWan
10-09-2010, 09:39 PM

what he said

powerfuldragon
10-09-2010, 09:41 PM
wr's are draftable so they've no intrinsic trade value

(unless you're talking about a superstar)

JB
10-09-2010, 09:43 PM
(unless you're talking about a superstar)

We ain't trading no superstars!!!

SrslySirius
10-09-2010, 09:49 PM
Managers really do seem to be ridiculously stingy with draft picks. I'll bet that most wouldn't even give up a 1st rounder for AJ.

gary
10-09-2010, 09:57 PM
Although JJ is still inconsistent, he has become much more consistent, and is much more a factor on the "big play." Let's not crown Dickerson as the next JJ-like player. He is raw, unproven as far as route running and soft hands, and, despite his timed 4.40, he has never demonstrated that runaway speed on the field of play in college.....or in the preseason.i am not crowning him anything yet but if he soon starts to produce and play well then I would feel better about allowing Jones to explore his options. Who knows? I would not mind seeing Jones continue to progress and stay.

gary
10-09-2010, 10:11 PM
Old or not, Randy Moss is a hall of famer 2 seasons removed from a 23-touchdown season. Jacoby Jones is a player that most folks outside of Houston have never heard of. When guys like Bernard Pollard and Ladanian Tomlinson are routinely CUT, presumably because no value can be had from trading them, what makes you think we could possibly get something for Jacoby?Nothing. But, would it hurt to see? Does not mean I would not try though but they come pretty heavy in the draft so I don't think it's really a big deal.

Chance_C
10-09-2010, 10:12 PM
Managers really do seem to be ridiculously stingy with draft picks. I'll bet that most wouldn't even give up a 1st rounder for AJ.

You're kidding right? I would imagine the percentage of teams that would do that is in the upper 90 percentile!

SrslySirius
10-09-2010, 10:24 PM
You're kidding right? I would imagine the percentage of teams that would do that is in the upper 90 percentile!

No, I'm not kidding. Maybe I'm wrong. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking AJ. I just think front offices are crazy when it comes to draft picks. I think there are only a small handful of players that could be traded for a 1st round pick, and I don't think any of them are wide receivers.

b0ng
10-09-2010, 10:25 PM

I don't think so. GM's tend to over-value draft picks quite a bit, especially first rounders. How many players have been traded for first round picks in the last few years? I can think of Roy Williams (LAFFO) and Jay Cutler.

SrslySirius
10-09-2010, 10:28 PM
I don't think so. GM's tend to over-value draft picks quite a bit, especially first rounders. How many players have been traded for first round picks in the last few years? I can think of Roy Williams (LAFFO) and Jay Cutler.

Roy Williams was traded for a 3rd and 6th round pick. The Jay Cutler trade involved a 1st round pick, but that was part of a package deal. I'm not sure if you could consider that a 1st-for-Cutler trade.

JB
10-09-2010, 10:28 PM

Sorry, I have to disagree with you here. How many teams can you name that would not give up a first round draft pick for the best wr in the league while he is still under 30 and is a 6' 3 230 lb Beast? Really, how many teams would turn a deal down if given the opportunity?

SrslySirius
10-09-2010, 10:35 PM
Sorry, I have to disagree with you here. How many teams can you name that would not give up a first round draft pick for the best wr in the league while he is still under 30 and is a 6' 3 230 lb Beast? Really, how many teams would turn a deal down if given the opportunity?

All of them.

Please don't misunderstand. If I was an NFL manager, I would give up a 1st round pick for #80 in a heartbeat. And I wouldn't think twice about it. But as for the actual 32 managers, there seems to be a prevailing mindset that overvalues picks. Look around at some of the great players that have gone on the trading block over the last several years, and the pittance that teams have offered for them.

Hookem Horns
10-09-2010, 10:41 PM
Are we seriously talking trades? This is the NFL not baseball.

Rey
10-09-2010, 10:42 PM
All of them.

Please don't misunderstand. If I was an NFL manager, I would give up a 1st round pick for #80 in a heartbeat. And I wouldn't think twice about it. But as for the actual 32 managers, there seems to be a prevailing mindset that overvalues picks. Look around at some of the great players that have gone on the trading block over the last several years, and the pittance that teams have offered for them.

I think it depends on the team.

I could see a team that has older established talent giving up a first rd. pick for Andre if they think he is a piece that can put them over the edge.

Vikings gave a third for Moss because of a few things. He is an older player no longer in his prime, is only on a one year deal which means he may only be a rental, and because he has been known to get a bad attitude when things aren't exactly going his way.

Andre is pretty much on the opposite end of the spectrum for all those negatives.

I think teams would leap at Andre if all the Texans wanted was a first round pick. A third rounder is not too shabby for Moss either.

gary
10-09-2010, 10:44 PM
After thinking about it a little more wideouts in the draft are not too hard to find so there probably would not be a million offers for Jones.

SAMURAITEXAN
10-09-2010, 11:47 PM
Gary, this isn't a good timing to trade JJ as we only have 2 legit homerun type WRs(AJ and JJ). JJ is inconsistant and he may never will be like AJ caliber of player however, he is better than he used to be and is improving every year IMO. For Dickerson, like Doc mentioned, he is unproven and need more reps to determine if he is a legit homerun type WR. So, I say not now.

Go Texans!!!

Corrosion
10-10-2010, 12:07 AM
What exactly would you expect to get in return for Jacoby? Surely you must realize how stingy NFL managements are with draft picks. Randy Moss, one of the best receivers in the league, just got exchanged for a third-round pick. He was originally acquired by the Pats for a fourth-round pick.

As much as I like Jacoby Jones, I would have to think that he has virtually zero trade value.

This is a big reason why I like the structure the NBA has in place for Free Agency , both with with the restricted status right for the team to match offers and for the team with a players "Bird Rights" to offer more $$ than other teams.

The NFL Rules are what restricts trades and puts such a premium on draft choices. The big reason teams place such a high premium on draft picks is that if they were to trade those picks for a player nearing the end of a contract , no matter how good the player , its mortgaging the future as they have little leverage to resign that player and it becomes more of a bidding war.

The NFL needs its own version of "Bird Rights" and restricted FA status more along the lines of what the NBA has.

JCTexan
10-10-2010, 12:26 AM
Roy Williams was traded for a 3rd and 6th round pick. The Jay Cutler trade involved a 1st round pick, but that was part of a package deal. I'm not sure if you could consider that a 1st-for-Cutler trade.

Wrong. Roy Williams & a 7th round pick were traded from Detroit to Dallas for a 1st, 3rd & a 6th rounder. The Denver Broncos traded Jay Cutler & a 5th rounder for Kyle Orton, two 1st rounders & a 3rd rounder.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3643295

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4037373

beerlover
10-10-2010, 01:36 AM
Shanhan just cut Devin Thomas, drafted in 08 or 09 I think in the 2nd rd. I'm sure Kyle might give pops a little dig ~ however Jacoby's mom is wildly popular with Texans since she fills them up with some tasty gumbo etc....

Texan_Touchdown
10-10-2010, 01:51 AM
Trade Jacoby Jones?for what? another 4th round pick that's going to have to come in our system. Who do you returning punts all season? He's our number 3 receiver lmao. Do not trade Jacoby Jones. If you do, at least get his stock up so we can get something out of it.

dream_team
10-10-2010, 02:10 AM
I don't think the Texans will trade Jacoby. They need him this season.

But unfortunately, I do think this is his last season as a Texan. I think a team desperate for a receiver (like the Redskins) will offer Jacoby more than he's worth.

Honestly, I don't mind seeing him go. He has alot of talent, but he doesn't have the hands to be an elite receiver in the league. I'm also convinced he'll never catch a ball if he's afraid he's about to get popped!

DexmanC
10-10-2010, 04:17 AM
You don't trade Jacoby. He's no where NEAR his ceiling, and already
your best weapon on special teams. As a receiver, he's a threat to score
six everytime he touches the ball. ONLY Andre Johnson could one say
the same for.

Do you beat the Patriots without Jacoby? Do you beat Tennessee last year without Jacoby?
Do you get your first win against Miami in '08 after an 0-4 start without Jacoby?
Do you beat the Colts without Jacoby's big return, and catch soon after in Week 1?

As much as people dislike the guy, he's contributed to far more wins than David Anderson,
yet, I never see a "trade DA" thread.
:thinking:

:fans::fans::fans:

rmartin65
10-10-2010, 09:37 AM
As much as people dislike the guy, he's contributed to far more wins than David Anderson,
yet, I never see a "trade DA" thread.
:thinking:

:fans::fans::fans:

'Cause DA is white.

Sorry. couldnt resist, obviously I dont think that is the reason. There are no "Trade DA" threads (other than this one - http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59190&highlight=trade+david+anderson - where the Texans matched) because there is not a lot of demand for a guy like DA. Not fast, not quick, decent hands, etc. Teams dont make trades for 4th receivers with little to no potential.

DA has a role, a niche if you will, on the Texans. That is why he stays (much to the chagrin of some on the board).

awtysst
10-10-2010, 09:53 AM

JJ will not fetch much in return. Quite frankly he has not shown enough to warrant trading very much in return. Yes he has good speed, but so do a lot of receivers. Plus he is notorious for dropping simple passes. he does not have the cachet in the league to overcome those issues at the moment. So, if I was another team, I would not offer anything beyond a conditional 6th rounder, and that's probably generous.

We as fans overvalue our own players. That's why most fans cannot be GMs. :)

gary
10-10-2010, 09:46 PM
Jacoby is the only solid PR so for that reasons he probably is not going anywhere. All I wanted is simple opinions on the matter and for the most part that is what I got. It is just an idea allbeit probably a bad one but you guys have helped me see that so that is a good thing.