PDA

View Full Version : Derrick Ward bad-mouthing Tampa...

Rey
10-08-2010, 11:53 AM
TAMPA — Former Bucs RB Derrick Ward stirred up the Tampa Bay locker room with critical remarks about the team.

In an interview with the Newark (N.J.) Star-Ledger, Ward said his new team, the Texans, "actually wants to block for their running backs (and) actually wants to win." He also alleged the Bucs bad-mouthed him after releasing him in August by telling other clubs he was overweight.

"It's the same across the entire offensive line. We have a job to do," Bucs C Jeff Faine said. "Most of the time, I don't even know who's back there. I'm not even looking in the huddle.

"For him to say we blocked differently when he's in the game, I think that's pretty far from the truth. He's still a friend of mine, and it's unfortunate he's decided to go this way and say the things he's saying. But we didn't block any differently with him in there than we did with any other running back."

Ward spent five seasons with the Giants, rushing for 1,025 in his final one, before signing a four-year, $17 million deal with the Bucs in March 2009. Last season, he rushed for 409 yards and one touchdown then was released Aug. 31. In four games as Houston's backup to Arian Foster, he has 14 carries for 84 yards and one touchdown.

Bucs RB Cadillac Williams took particular offense to one comment. Ward said, "I feel like I went straight from New York to Houston," suggesting he has blocked out his season in Tampa.

"I'm not surprised he would say something like that," Williams said. "The guy is a good friend, and I wish him the best. He's happy (in Houston), but I don't know if he really bought into the whole Tampa thing.

"This here is a team sport. So when things aren't going right or aren't going well, the worst thing you can do is start pointing fingers."

Ward was signed by the Texans, and with Houston set to play host to the Giants on Sunday, Ward blasted the Buccaneers in remarks made to the Newark Star-Ledger.

"I didn't play against them the way I wanted to,'' Ward said of last year's effort against the Giants, who limited Ward to two yards in five carries during a 24-0 victory in Tampa. "This year, I'm on a better team, a team that actually wants to win, compete and get to that next level.''

Tampa Bay coach Raheem Morris said he was aware of Ward's remarks.

"We don't want to talk about players that have nothing to do with the game this week,'' Morris said. "We're not going to comment about guys who are no longer here. I just wish Derrick Ward the best.''

Ward denied any suggestion he was overweight this summer, saying he was only two pounds over the 233-pound goal Houston set for him.

He said the Texans are "a team that actually wants to block for their running backs, actually wants to win and doesn't set their goals to a (lower) standard.''

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/derrick-ward-tampa-bay-buccaneers-set-their-goals-lower-than-houston-texans/1126599

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/oct/07/071424/derrick-ward-rips-bucs-says-houston-more-committed/sports-bucs/

eriadoc
10-08-2010, 12:14 PM
Jackass.

Hookem Horns
10-08-2010, 12:17 PM
Jackass.

Look on the bright side, he likes it here.

HJam72
10-08-2010, 12:17 PM
He's right, Tampa sucks. :)

Ougta keep his trap shut though. :choke:

HJam72
10-08-2010, 12:19 PM

'Course he likes it here. He went from 400 yards last year to 6 yds. a carry with the Texans blockers. He just needs to not be so bluntly honest.

m5kwatts
10-08-2010, 12:24 PM
He's right, Tampa sucks. :)

Ougta keep his trap shut though. :choke:

I'd bet Rick Smith told him exactly that.

Ckw
10-08-2010, 12:25 PM
Jackass.

I agree to a point. Guys do need to be careful about what they say to the media, but the fact is Tampa sucks and the run game is pitiful. 4th worst in the entire league. Also, unless he changed big time between the time he was released and when we signed him, it was messed up for the Bucs to call him overweight. I'd be pretty pissed if it was me.

Rey
10-08-2010, 12:27 PM
Also, unless he changed big time between the time he was released and when we signed him, it was messed up for the Bucs to call him overweight. I'd be pretty pissed if it was me.

Yeah, if they were spreading rumors that he was over weight just to keep teams from wanting to sign him that's pretty low from Tampa's end.

To be fair to Ward, they haven't had a running game really...So if they tried to make him the scapegoat then shame on them.

I generally don't agree with people airing their disputes and would rather them keep their head down and keep working though.

HJam72
10-08-2010, 12:29 PM
What he needs to do about it is compete with Foster and BUST one for a TD the first time he carries against the Giants. :)

BIG TORO
10-08-2010, 12:31 PM
Well all I have to say is he better put his money where his mouth is and run like he wanted to run against the giant this year!

CloakNNNdagger
10-08-2010, 01:04 PM
I think he will be an asset to this team. But, if he had been here before last season, he may not have had so much to say about the subject.

That being said, now he should show running of his legs instead of running of his mouth.

Hookem Horns
10-08-2010, 01:27 PM
As a Giants fan I loved the guy when he was there. He is great as a change up guy not the featured guy. That is what he was in NY and that is what he is here. Tampa signed him to be the featured guy and that he is not. So what we got vs the Raiders is the same Ward I was watching in NY.

Also keep in mind what the Bucs were saying about him when they released him. Not only were they saying he was overweight, they also said something along the lines that he was just "not a good football player". That is a pretty bad insult. The Bucs should have released him and wished him well instead of leaking that stuff to the press.

Ward is just firing back at them. Of course he waited to have a good game to do so.

I am not saying he should have fired back but that is human nature.

NitroGSXR
10-08-2010, 01:33 PM
I wish this guy ran as fast as he talks. This guy is majorly s-l-o-w on the football field. That TD last week... it'll never happen again.

Play football, moron.

Hardcore Texan
10-08-2010, 01:33 PM

At least right now anyway.....*holds breath*

Thorn
10-08-2010, 01:41 PM
so he bad mouths Tampa, so do we. As long as he performs well as a backup, he's OK in my book.

NitroGSXR
10-08-2010, 01:46 PM
so he bad mouths Tampa, so do we. As long as he performs well as a backup, he's OK in my book.
He's not bad mouthing Tampa Bay. He's totally throwing them under the bus. Unnecessary because we don't play Tampa Bay this season.

If i were that o-line, I'd spitball rolls of toilet paper all over his house. In the offseason of course.

DownByContact
10-08-2010, 03:26 PM
sounds like retaliation for what Tampa said about him when they released him

The1ApplePie
10-08-2010, 03:31 PM
Jackass.

Yep

He was an overpaid failure in Tampa that got beat out by an undrafted rookie. Seems like he'd be happy to have all the money he was given up front. He has a chance to breathe life into his career here as the No. 3 back, hope he doesn't waste it.

SrslySirius
10-08-2010, 03:38 PM
This is a lame double-standard in sports. We see franchises as faceless entities. When "undisclosed sources close to a team" sling mud at a player, nobody thinks anything of it. In fact, people usually just hate on the player even more. Even when owners/managers/coaches do it publicly, you rarely see a lot of backlash from it.

But when a player takes a shot at a team, even when it is completely warranted, he is seen as disgruntled or having attitude problems. People seem to think that players never have any legitimate reason to air their grievances and that they should always keep their mouths shut. But for some reason that rule doesn't apply to management and ownership.

badboy
10-08-2010, 04:06 PM
I just hope he impacts the Texans like Pollard did. Can you imagine if Foster continues his ways, Ward gets about 500 yard with a 5.0 avg and Slaton settles into the role he was drafted for? Tate? Just a big old scoop of ice cream to finish off this perfect meal!

mattieuk
10-08-2010, 04:07 PM
He can start giving people bulletin board material after he has been to Disneyland with the Texans.

Until then, mouth stays shut, and keep working away to provide us a solid back up for Foster.

BullNation4Life
10-08-2010, 04:27 PM
He can start giving people bulletin board material after he has been to Disneyland with the Texans.

Until then, mouth stays shut, and keep working away to provide us a solid back up for Foster.

bulletin board material for who, Tampa? Texans don't even play Tampa and if they did, Tampa would get their asses handed to them. So what is Tampa gonna do, try and take what Ward said out on another team. Big F'n whoop!

Got no problem with what Ward said, Tampa thew him under the bus long before Ward said anything besides he is right, Tampa sucks, their offense sucks, their defense is now slow and sucks.

He wants to forget he ever went to Tampa, cool. HE has already produced for the Texans and most likely will produce more...

CretorFrigg
10-08-2010, 05:43 PM
Got no problem with what Ward said, Tampa thew him under the bus long before Ward said anything besides he is right, Tampa sucks, their offense sucks, their defense is now slow and sucks.

The problem is that if he's willing to throw the Bucs under the bus, he's probably willing to throw the Texans under the bus. Sure, he had one good game against the Raiders. But what about when the going gets tough? Is he going to continue to praise the Texans or will he quit on the team a la Randy Moss?

He wants to forget he ever went to Tampa, cool. HE has already produced for the Texans and most likely will produce more...

He had ONE good game against the Raider's atrocious rush defense.

Thorn
10-08-2010, 07:23 PM
He's a 3rd string RB pissed at his last team. Big deal. Take it for what it is.

Corrosion
10-08-2010, 08:56 PM
He's a 3rd string RB pissed at his last team. Big deal. Take it for what it is.

I want him to run the ball like he's pissed off .... So far so good .... so what. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b7NtBg1qY4) :turtle:

BullNation4Life
10-08-2010, 10:10 PM
The problem is that if he's willing to throw the Bucs under the bus, he's probably willing to throw the Texans under the bus. Sure, he had one good game against the Raiders. But what about when the going gets tough? Is he going to continue to praise the Texans or will he quit on the team a la Randy Moss?

He had ONE good game against the Raider's atrocious rush defense.

Why would he throw the Texans under the bus? Ward knew his roll the moment he signed with the Texans, a backup to Foster, period. When he went to Tampa, he signed as a starter with starter money and they hamstrung him with a atrocious offensive line. When Tampa let him go, they dogged him and now that Ward is on a much much better team and he wants to express his disdain for the team that trashed him, you guys are bent? Ooooookkey dokey....

What do you care what a back up RB says about the Texans? You think Ward would be the first to throw the Texans under the bus?

I guess since the Texans are winning this is nothing for the serial gripers and whiners to grip or whine about, so they go after the back up RB....

Ahhh well....

ArlingtonTexan
10-08-2010, 10:20 PM
bulletin board material for who, Tampa? Texans don't even play Tampa and if they did, Tampa would get their asses handed to them. So what is Tampa gonna do, try and take what Ward said out on another team. Big F'n whoop!

I think the Disneyland reference is when the Texans make the Superbowl. BTW, Disney Florida is in Orlando.

BullNation4Life
10-08-2010, 10:52 PM
I think the Disneyland reference is when the Texans make the Superbowl. BTW, Disney Florida is in Orlando.

GASP! Really! Well Gosh shucks darn! I always thought Disneyland was in Mouseville, USA...

I got the reference and still would make no sense or about as much sense as the Texans actually making it to the Super Bowl, winning the Super Bowl then going to Disneyland. They'd have a better chance of making it to Mouseville, USA...

GP
10-09-2010, 01:36 AM
I am on record as saying I was upset when David Carr trashed us out when he went to the Panthers (he went to Carolina to see if the grass on their field was more comfortable for laying down and taking in-game naps).

So I gotta' say that I don't like Derrick Ward running his mouth about the Bucs. It's an objective take on this matter. You shouldn't run your mouth about previous employers. It's hard to NOT do so, but it's a good idea to bite the inside of your cheek and move on without bad-mouthing them.

He had one "decent" game vs. a really bad Oakland rush defense. And now he thinks he's King Kong. He needs to make sure he channels his anger ONTO the field and not INTO the microphones on media day.

I hope he runs, and that he runs PISSED OFF.

JCTexan
10-09-2010, 01:41 AM
I am on record as saying I was upset when David Carr trashed us out when he went to the Panthers (he went to Carolina to see if the grass on their field was more comfortable for laying down and taking in-game naps).

So I gotta' say that I don't like Derrick Ward running his mouth about the Bucs. It's an objective take on this matter. You shouldn't run your mouth about previous employers. It's hard to NOT do so, but it's a good idea to bite the inside of your cheek and move on without bad-mouthing them.

He had one "decent" game vs. a really bad Oakland rush defense. And now he thinks he's King Kong. He needs to make sure he channels his anger ONTO the field and not INTO the microphones on media day.

That was my first impression also. Carr bad-mouthed Houston, and a few others did also on their way out the door, so I don't care to hear Ward or anyone else bad mouth their last team.

GNTLEWOLF
10-09-2010, 03:29 AM
I think he should keep his mouth shut and make his points on the field. Be the running back that would make them sorry about cutting him. Momma always said, "people with class don't act like an a$$."

Texan_Touchdown
10-09-2010, 04:00 AM
why do people care what he said about his old team lol. we don't know what he went through over there. And to be honest, we don't even know much about this guy to judge him over what he said to some reporter about his old team.

thunderkyss
10-09-2010, 07:47 AM
I wonder what Cadillac would look like on our team.

2002 12-4 Division Winners : Super Bowl XXXVII Champion
2003 7-9
2004 5-11
2005 11-5 Division Winners
2006 4-12
2007 9-7 Division Winners
2008 9-7
2009 3-13 New Head Coach

According to some of the comments on this article (http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/oct/05/050843/sp-preparing-for-life-after-cadillac/) it appears some of the fans are not happy with what Raheem Morris has done.

Do you believe they are jumping the gun, or do you think their comments are justified?

Adjust it, tweek it or whatever you need to do to get the offense working.

Last weeks game was against a quality opponent who blew us out. We need to start seeing that this team has turned a corner and is improved since fireing every name player on the roster. The bold Raheem experiment has reached the critical point of "put up or shut up."

Posted by (RickK) on 10/05/2010 at 07:35 am.

Isn't this the same thing they did last year but called it something else. Different RB on each down that got no one any yards or into the game. They have waisted Graham. It looks like they are going (or already have) wasted Caddilac. So, might as well just pass the ball. The running game is already given up on, so it seems. Throw is long 3 times in a row. It once worked for the Raiders.

Corrosion
10-09-2010, 08:30 AM
I want him to run the ball like he's pissed off .... So far so good .... so what. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b7NtBg1qY4) :turtle:

:ahhaha:

SrslySirius
10-09-2010, 10:49 AM
This is a lame double-standard in sports. We see franchises as faceless entities. When "undisclosed sources close to a team" sling mud at a player, nobody thinks anything of it. In fact, people usually just hate on the player even more. Even when owners/managers/coaches do it publicly, you rarely see a lot of backlash from it.

But when a player takes a shot at a team, even when it is completely warranted, he is seen as disgruntled or having attitude problems. People seem to think that players never have any legitimate reason to air their grievances and that they should always keep their mouths shut. But for some reason that rule doesn't apply to management and ownership.

LOL at the guy giving me negative rep for this comment. If didn't know that was a "disagree" button for lazy people.

There is another point I'd like to make. Athletes have a unique job. Their paycheck doesn't depend on which school they went to, how much experience they have in the field, whether or not they're in line for a promotion, etc. They get paid based on their perceived value. Football players are stocks. Some of that value is based on tangibles (such as on-field performance), but people's subjective opinions are a major factor.

So when you're Derrick Ward, and the Bucs organization is trashing your name by telling everyone that you're overweight and washed up, it's not much different from someone walking into your office and setting your desk on fire. That makes your stock plummet. Attacking a man at the purse strings is a petty, despicable thing to do. And a player on a one-year contract has every right to defend himself. Ward didn't just make those comments for the sake of pride.

As a fan, I don't particularly like hearing players complain. But in some cases, such as this one, I completely understand. I won't be one of the guys calling for him to take it on the chin and STFU.

Rey
10-09-2010, 02:53 PM

Not disagreeing with what you said, but the organization didn't bad mouth David upon his release...

In fact, I think they did him a favor by releasing him instead of trading him...They let him go where he wanted to go...

There weren't any reports coming out about the negatives in his game. Mostly it was just "we want to go in a different direction".

On the other hand, the Tampa organization has been pretty much documented as saying negative things about Ward.

Again, I'm not saying that justifies him bad mouthing the organization, just pointing out that it wasn't quite the same situation.

Rey
10-09-2010, 02:55 PM
I wonder what Cadillac would look like on our team.

I would not mind adding a healthy Cadillac to this roster...

Mr. White
10-09-2010, 08:32 PM
The sad thing is that the Bucs used to be a damn good team. Now they're a tax shelter for Manchester United.

Players badmouthing their old team is nothing new. It's happened before and it'll happen again.