PDA

View Full Version : Sherrick McManis speed

badboy
10-07-2010, 01:19 PM
Has anyone been watching this guy on coverage? He seems to have rocket speed. http://warroom.sportingnews.com/nfl/draft/2010/players/9518.html

He seems to have the "cover" skills I prefer in a cornerback. I did not follow him in college so know little about him. Hope he is learning all he can. He seems to accelerate as he gets close to the target.

Dutchrudder
10-07-2010, 01:22 PM
Has anyone been watching this guy on coverage? He seems to have rocket speed. http://warroom.sportingnews.com/nfl/draft/2010/players/9518.html

He seems to have the "cover" skills I prefer in a cornerback. I did not follow him in college so know little about him. Hope he is learning all he can. He seems to accelerate as he gets close to the target.

The only time I can recall him being in one of the games this year was at the end of the Indy game. He was on Austin Collie during the last 2 minutes of the 4th and Collie burned him for a 60 yard TD. Bad break I'm sure, but he needs work.

JWarren14
10-07-2010, 01:45 PM
He plays a lot on Special Teams, usually the first guy down the field.

Definitely has some speed, returned some at Northwestern. Still another young & inexperienced DB though, will take time to develop.

El Tejano
10-07-2010, 01:46 PM
He had a good tackle on Johnny Lee Higgins last week.

kiwitexansfan
10-07-2010, 02:34 PM
Can't be worse than McCain, put him in!!

Big Lou
10-07-2010, 02:36 PM
We will probably see how fast he is returning punts this Sunday.......

DexmanC
10-07-2010, 02:37 PM
He plays a lot on Special Teams, usually the first guy down the field.

Definitely has some speed, returned some at Northwestern. Still another young & inexperienced DB though, will take time to develop.

McManis is Antwaun Molden in his rookie season. Those damn Titans had
to ruin Molden's ankle in that 13-12 game at Reliant in 2008.

badboy
10-07-2010, 02:55 PM
If we could develop one more solid CB with speed it would move down the urgency to draft one high.

ArlingtonTexan
10-07-2010, 03:05 PM
Can't be worse than McCain, put him in!!

I have no idea why people always think this with a player they are down on. We have plenty of experience with this as Texans fans so "yes, he can be (and probably is) worse than McCain"

m5kwatts
10-07-2010, 04:39 PM
The only time I can recall him being in one of the games this year was at the end of the Indy game. He was on Austin Collie during the last 2 minutes of the 4th and Collie burned him for a 60 yard TD. Bad break I'm sure, but he needs work.

I could be wrong but I think there was some missing safety help on that play.

ChampionTexan
10-07-2010, 05:33 PM
I have no idea why people always think this with a player they are down on. We have plenty of experience with this as Texans fans so "yes, he can be (and probably is) worse than McCain"

The backup guy on the bench is always better!

Signed
John Busing

CretorFrigg
10-07-2010, 06:21 PM
Sherrick McCanis reminds me a lot of Dorin Dickerson. Both of them have the physical tangibles to be an elite player at their respective positions. However, McCanis is still very raw and requires time to develop his fundamentals in order to get caught up with the speed of the NFL. Unlike college, pure athleticism will not get him very far.

I'm looking forward to seeing Sherrick develop as a CB. :fans:

CloakNNNdagger
10-07-2010, 06:53 PM
For what it's worth.

40 Time: 4.48 40 Low: 4.38 40 High: 4.58

Remember, in college, he was a FS/KR.

kiwitexansfan
10-07-2010, 08:19 PM

I think we need to try him to see if he is. McCain gets abused every time he is in the game. I cringe when I see him trot onto the field.

I don't know if McManis is better but I'd like to see him get the chance to show if he is.

What I do believe is that McCain is not a NFL quality player, McManis I don't know about yet.

Rey
10-07-2010, 08:27 PM
I dunno about McMannis...

He just left a bad taste in my mouth when he kinda got burned at then end of the colts game...

First game, late round draft pick, Peyton Manning.....I can understand...Hope he turns into a fine pro..

TimeKiller
10-07-2010, 09:41 PM
I think McCain's pretty good for a 2nd year 180 pound CB picked in the 6th round...

Wolf6151
10-07-2010, 11:08 PM
When you consider that both players were late round draft picks and that McCain has only 1 yr. of experience and that McManis has none, then they are both doing very well. IF (big if) either ever becomes a serviceable NFL CB they'll have beaten the odds against them and it will take several years to do so. I think they'll also need a better coach than Gibbs and an experienced CB to teach/mentor them.

Corrosion
10-08-2010, 12:48 AM
I think he's a better KR than Slaton .... :wadepalm:

He's been pretty good on ST. He'll get his chance in the future if he keeps showing well there.

HOU-TEX
10-08-2010, 09:00 AM
He's close to HOU-TEX speed, but he's still got some work to do yet.

badboy
10-08-2010, 09:16 AM
I think he's a better KR than Slaton .... :wadepalm:

He's been pretty good on ST. He'll get his chance in the future if he keeps showing well there.I want to agree but have not seen enough of Sherrick to say. I'd like to see but JJ and SS to concentrate only on the receiving and running. For Slaton he really needs to increase his confidence and returns it is difficult to do so. I'll expand on that. Both players have "take it the distance" mentality and often with returns it is important to down ball in the end zone and established it at 20 rather than make 15 and get the dickens knocked out of you. I saw more recently that Slaton took what he could get or did a fair catch to protect the ball. Good for team but I think this rubs Steve wrong as he wants to show what he can do.

Texan_Bill
10-08-2010, 09:16 AM
He's close to HOU-TEX speed, but he's still got some work to do yet.

:lol:

The only running you do nowadays is when you're running for your life because the fiery red-head is on your heals.

badboy
10-08-2010, 09:32 AM
He's close to HOU-TEX speed, but he's still got some work to do yet.As I focus on defensive backs, I started to ask about your hip swivel and cover skills but decided I'd rather not know. lol
I think safety is still our biggest weak area. I love Pollard but he has no cover skills and I'd like to see a late round pick address that and am watching Chris Prosinski Wyoming FS/SS 6'1" 209 4.54 who finished his 2009 with 140 tackles and 6 pass break ups. Like him even better than Tyler Sash that I was pushing last season.

A starting FS is going to be very high on my list also. I like Nolan but still not certain of his over all skills.

76Texan
10-08-2010, 10:44 AM
I could be wrong but I think there was some missing safety help on that play.

The Texans played a 3-5 zone.
Quin was the middle men who was out of position (he stepped up to high toward nobody).
McMannis had three guys crossing his zone.
He did right passing off the slot receiver to the deep men.

That one was on Quin.

But it also seems to indicate that Wilson was slow to help.
He should have shown up on the screen along with Pollard but was not to be found. Wilson was on the other side; the side Collie ran toward.
Wilson was following the receiver on tthat side and should have been in position to pursue, at least attempting to make a play as Pollard did.

76Texan
10-08-2010, 10:57 AM
As I focus on defensive backs, I started to ask about your hip swivel and cover skills but decided I'd rather not know. lol
I think safety is still our biggest weak area. I love Pollard but he has no cover skills and I'd like to see a late round pick address that and am watching Chris Prosinski Wyoming FS/SS 6'1" 209 4.54 who finished his 2009 with 140 tackles and 6 pass break ups. Like him even better than Tyler Sash that I was pushing last season.

A starting FS is going to be very high on my list also. I like Nolan but still not certain of his over all skills.

Nolan has the skills.
The one thing that held him back was the thing between his ears.
When I watched him in college, sometimes he became too aggressive and would get out of position.
If he can learn what the different offenses try to do to attack the D, I believe he can be a very good safety.

I like both McCain and McManis.
McCain is a little too small to be able to cover big receivers consistently.
McMannis doesn't have the speed like McCain but he's a bigger corner.
He can be over-aggressive at times like Nolan and give up a big play.
If he learns to be more disciplined, I think McMannis can become a good CB.
He's better than McCain in run support, but still needs to learn to get off the blockers more efficiently.
Eventually, I think he can be as good as Quin at this.

HOU-TEX
10-08-2010, 11:08 AM
:lol:

The only running you do nowadays is when you're running for your life because the fiery red-head is on your heals.

How do you think I get my training? :winky:

As I focus on defensive backs, I started to ask about your hip swivel and cover skills but decided I'd rather not know. lol

The fluidity of my hips is immeasurable and Revis came to me the off season after his rookie year to work on his cover skills. Need I say more?

Goldensilence
10-08-2010, 11:12 AM

I would say FS is the weakest area on this team. I love what Pollard brings to the team and he's pretty much what you want in a SS. Physical, lays the wood in run defense, overall the enforcer this defense has lacked. Is his cover skills elite, nope, but I think they are adequate. I would like to see a better backup behind him though instead of Barber.

Should be a no brainer to go ahead and start Nolan the rest of the year at FS. I'm not sold that he's the long term answer at FS though. I'd love to see the team address it early finally in next year's draft. I doubt they do though.

I wasn't aware that McManis had that kind of 40 time. I thought I had remembered his time being much slower. I think he has the size you want in a CB. Reminds me a bit of Molden in that he has prototypical size you want, it's going to be a matter of him getting healthy and reps.

I like McCain's speed, but he's just a bad combination of too small and not physical enough in his play.

I really wish the Gary and his staff would've kept Reeves on this year. Is he elite? No. Is he a pretty solid candidate at #2? I think so. At least would've been good to slide him down to nickel cb. They decided to go young at Cb and its showing. The best saving grace this year for the team has been an offense that can put up points.

Good news is this defense gets considerably better with Cushing back on the field. He's easily the best cover and rush LBer the team has. I know I keep saying it, but I'd really like to see Diles replaced. I think he's really a much better fit at MLB, but that's just not going to happen. I'd love to see the team take someone at WLB high next year.

drewmar74
10-08-2010, 11:21 AM
I would say FS is the weakest area on this team. I love what Pollard brings to the team and he's pretty much what you want in a SS. Physical, lays the wood in run defense, overall the enforcer this defense has lacked. Is his cover skills elite, nope, but I think they are adequate. I would like to see a better backup behind him though instead of Barber.

Should be a no brainer to go ahead and start Nolan the rest of the year at FS. I'm not sold that he's the long term answer at FS though. I'd love to see the team address it early finally in next year's draft. I doubt they do though.

I wasn't aware that McManis had that kind of 40 time. I thought I had remembered his time being much slower. I think he has the size you want in a CB. Reminds me a bit of Molden in that he has prototypical size you want, it's going to be a matter of him getting healthy and reps.

I like McCain's speed, but he's just a bad combination of too small and not physical enough in his play.

I really wish the Gary and his staff would've kept Reeves on this year. Is he elite? No. Is he a pretty solid candidate at #2? I think so. At least would've been good to slide him down to nickel cb. They decided to go young at Cb and its showing. The best saving grace this year for the team has been an offense that can put up points.

Good news is this defense gets considerably better with Cushing back on the field. He's easily the best cover and rush LBer the team has. I know I keep saying it, but I'd really like to see Diles replaced. I think he's really a much better fit at MLB, but that's just not going to happen. I'd love to see the team take someone at WLB high next year.

:goodpost:

Which brings me to a question..... what happened to Molden? Hurt again? He seems to have fallen off the radar.

And I agree on Reeves. He wasn't flashy but he was okay. And, after the first four weeks, I'd be satisfied with a corner who played "okay."

JB
10-08-2010, 11:24 AM
I really wish the Gary and his staff would've kept Reeves on this year. Is he elite? No. Is he a pretty solid candidate at #2? I think so.

I think the coaches knew something we did not about Reeves. Afterall, he did go workout for the CB starved Ravens and could not get a job. Maybe he got hurt, or he just lost what he had.

76Texan
10-08-2010, 11:25 AM

I like Sharpton to complement Cushind and Demeco.
He may be a better fit at either MIKE or SAM, but I don't see anything wrong with him at WILL either.

He's already pretty strong coming out of college (not as strong as Cushing, but definitely stronger than Diles or Adibi) so if he can build himself up a little more, it will be all the better.

I saw better coverage skills from Sharpton than from any of our LBs coming out of college.
The guys showed the smart in reading the offense while making all his reads and checking all his keys pretty consistently.

drs23
10-08-2010, 11:41 AM
I like Sharpton to complement Cushind and Demeco.
He may be a better fit at either MIKE or SAM, but I don't see anything wrong with him at WILL either.

He's already pretty strong coming out of college (not as strong as Cushing, but definitely stronger than Diles or Adibi) so if he can build himself up a little more, it will be all the better.

I saw better coverage skills from Sharpton than from any of our LBs coming out of college.
The guys showed the smart in reading the offense while making all his reads and checking all his keys pretty consistently.

I agree. I'd like to see him at WILL too but Kubes is really high on Zak and he's done a fair job but Sharpton just seemed to shine in PS. Seems like he's got a knack for gettin knicked though.

drewmar74
10-08-2010, 11:49 AM
I think the coaches knew something we did not about Reeves. Afterall, he did go workout for the CB starved Ravens and could not get a job. Maybe he got hurt, or he just lost what he had.

That, IMO, says a lot.

76Texan
10-08-2010, 12:07 PM
I agree. I'd like to see him at WILL too but Kubes is really high on Zak and he's done a fair job but Sharpton just seemed to shine in PS. Seems like he's got a knack for gettin knicked though.

I see that Diles has improved a lot from 08.
And he's a valued pick for the Texans.
But if the team wants to get even better, either Diles has to improve even more or the coaches might do well give Sharpton some live action to see how he does.
It's fine by me to bring him along slowly; I just get frustrated once in a while when I see our LBs in coverage.

I watched Sharpton in the Arkansas game in which he got injured.
But he came back strong the next game. (Can't remember what it was about)

He's been playing on ST.
What kind of injury does he have now?

drs23
10-08-2010, 12:10 PM
I see that Diles has improved a lot from 08.
And he's a valued pick for the Texans.
But if the team wants to get even better, either Diles has to improve even more or the coaches might do well give Sharpton some live action to see how he does.
It's fine by me to bring him along slowly; I just get frustrated once in a while when I see our LBs in coverage.

I watched Sharpton in the Arkansas game in which he got injured.
But he came back strong the next game. (Can't remember what it was about)

He's been playing on ST.
What kind of injury does he have now?

Not sure of anything specifically right now just seems like when Kubes is running down the injury list he's always got "a little" this or "a little" that. Might be just my memory, better, lack thereof.

badboy
10-08-2010, 01:11 PM
How do you think I get my training? :winky:

The fluidity of my hips is immeasurable and Revis came to me the off season after his rookie year to work on his cover skills. Need I say more?So, what, you are going to hold out for more money. Just get in the game H.T. or I am going to replace you with my next mock.

badboy
10-08-2010, 01:22 PM

Good news is this defense gets considerably better with Cushing back on the field. He's easily the best cover and rush LBer the team has. I know I keep saying it, but I'd really like to see Diles replaced. I think he's really a much better fit at MLB, but that's just not going to happen. I'd love to see the team take someone at WLB high next year.McCain surprised me as I thought Reeves would stay one more year. I don't think anyone has picked him up which is surprising. I think an Earl Thomas type FS in the first is probably where I'd go. We can contain the run but need to shut down these 3-400 yard games against us.

Corrosion
10-09-2010, 06:55 PM
Can he return kickoffs ?

Its time to end the Slaton experiment on kickoff returns ..... :wadepalm:

Sooner or later his inability to secure the ball back there is gonna cost this team. :headhurts:

JB
10-09-2010, 07:11 PM
Can he return kickoffs ?

Its time to end the Slaton experiment on kickoff returns ..... :wadepalm:

Sooner or later his inability to secure the ball back there is gonna cost this team. :headhurts:

Just for that, he's gonna take one to the house tomorrow...:fans: