PDA

View Full Version : Can you tackle a guy by his dreads?

nut
10-04-2010, 09:04 PM
Not being a smartass, have wondered for a while if pulling a guy down by his dreadlocks is the same as a horsecollar or facemask. Who knows the rule?

MeLoveTexans
10-04-2010, 09:08 PM
Not being a smartass, have wondered for a while if pulling a guy down by his dreadlocks is the same as a horsecollar or facemask. Who knows the rule?

Yes it is legal. Larry Johnson made a legal tackle on Troy Polamalu on an int return by grabbing his hair, however, he was flagged when he wouldn't let go and decided to pull him up by the hair.

The horse collar rule is to prevent damage to the trachea by the shoulder pads.

nut
10-04-2010, 09:12 PM
Thanks MLT. Great answer.

TexansFanatic
10-04-2010, 09:12 PM
Pretty sure the rule was written with Ricky Williams specifically in mind. He sported dreads back in the day and the rules state that, yes, one can be tackled by his hair.

TexansFanatic
10-04-2010, 09:14 PM
Here Is the Polamalu Tackle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVO93amUv7Y)

I think LJ got away without a flag.

CloakNNNdagger
10-04-2010, 09:16 PM
Yes it is legal. Larry Johnson made a legal tackle on Troy Polamalu on an int return by grabbing his hair, however, he was flagged when he wouldn't let go and decided to pull him up by the hair.

The horse collar rule is to prevent damage to the trachea by the shoulder pads.

Johnson claimed his hand got stuck in Polamalu's curly hair.:mcnugget:

Texan_Bill
10-04-2010, 09:16 PM
Pretty sure the rule was written with Ricky Williams specifically in mind. He sported dreads back in the day and the rules states that, yes, one can be tackled by his hair.

That also caused him to lose the dreads...

Dread-Head, if you and I ever getta play, we gotta our dreads!!

Brisco_County
10-04-2010, 09:17 PM
Yes.

I saw a college game a couple of years ago where the receiver had an entire dreadlock yanked completely out of his head. Perfectly legal. The camera showed the dread lying on the field like a dead snake.

TexansFanatic
10-04-2010, 09:18 PM
That also caused him to lose the dreads...

Yep. He said: "You can tackle me by my hair? Then, screw it, I'm shaving my head."

The Cush
10-04-2010, 09:18 PM
Johnson claimed his hand got stuck in Polamalu's curly hair.:mcnugget:

Must be that Head-N-Shoulders extra thickness in 1 week working at its finest!

CloakNNNdagger
10-04-2010, 09:24 PM
Pretty sure the rule was written with Ricky Williams specifically in mind. He sported dreads back in the day and the rules states that, yes, one can be tackled by his hair.

You're absolutely correct..........it actually carries the name "The Ricky Williams Rule.

Texan_Bill
10-04-2010, 09:26 PM
Yep. He said: "You can tackle me by my hair? Then, screw it, I'm shaving my head and smokin' me a big fatty."

Fixed for accuracy! ;)

gwallaia
10-04-2010, 10:10 PM
Get a haircut and don't worry about it.

TexansFanatic
10-04-2010, 10:16 PM
Fixed for accuracy! ;)

LOL. 100% accurate.

NitroGSXR
10-04-2010, 10:37 PM
Get a haircut and don't worry about it.

Exactly. I think dreadlocks look slummy hanging out of a football helmet. Open season on unwashed matted hair sounds good to me.

FirstTexansFan
10-05-2010, 07:27 AM

As I was watching MNF last night, I was thinking this same thing. Glad you asked the question, and thanks for the answers guys... this place is better than Wikipedia! :)

gtexan02
10-05-2010, 09:53 AM
I think the players have respect for each other enough not to do that. Its a cheap move

Texan_Bill
10-05-2010, 10:26 AM
I think the players have respect for each other enough not to do that. Its a cheap move

:spit:

What??!? Cheap or not, this is a league where guys will punch you in your junk, given the opportunity..

Section516
10-05-2010, 10:28 AM

If your running with someone whos faster than you, have that one chance to reach out, grab something, and prevent a TD, your not going to make sure to avoid grabbing someones hair. If its there, yank away. I don't see a player considering it dirty, less your pulled back UP by said hair. OWW

Blake
10-05-2010, 10:30 AM
STUD.

http://phinphanatic.com/files/2008/03/dolricky051.gif

Dread-Head
10-05-2010, 10:31 AM
The LEAGUE says you can as an "INCIDENT" with Troy Polamalu proved last year. A vicious full on punch in your adams apple however says you PROBABLY don't want to. Someone pulls me down my my locks I'm doing my best to cripple him.

Blake
10-05-2010, 10:36 AM
The LEAGUE says you can as an "INCIDENT" with Troy Polamalu proved last year. A vicious full on punch in your adams apple however says you PROBABLY don't want to. Someone pulls me down my my locks I'm doing my best to cripple him.

Him? Why cant it be a girl? Ive seen some biggins.

Texan_Bill
10-05-2010, 10:47 AM
STUD.

http://phinphanatic.com/files/2008/03/dolricky051.gif

STUD (allegedly) after cutting his dreads off due to be drug down by them.

http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/shared-blogs/austin/mo/upload/2010/04/ricky_williams_keeps_running_u/ricky440.jpg

scourge
10-05-2010, 10:48 AM
Pretty sure the rule was written with Ricky Williams specifically in mind. He sported dreads back in the day and the rules state that, yes, one can be tackled by his hair.

Yeah, I even remember him commenting on that.

To me, if it's there and it is the most viable option to take him down, go for it. Unlike a horse collar, the long hair is the player's decision to have. You are still allowed to grab the jersey at the collar and yank down, so if hair is in the way it shouldn't make you try grabbing a different area. I would think during a game that if a player is repeatedly tackled in this fashion it would rattle him some. Yet another reason to cut it.

For the record, no, I am not against long hair at all and had long hair(to the bottom of the shoulder blades at its longest) a few times in the past. However, if being yanked to the ground by it is a problem for you then remove the problem.

Dread-Head
10-05-2010, 10:50 AM
Here Is the Polamalu Tackle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVO93amUv7Y)

I think LJ got away without a flag.

The flags were offsetting penaties from the fight that ensued. You take a guy down by the hair he's not gonna care if it's legal you're gettin hit.

Dread-Head
10-05-2010, 10:59 AM
Exactly. I think dreadlocks look slummy hanging out of a football helmet. Open season on unwashed matted hair sounds good to me.

I have dreadlocks and WASH my hair thank you very much. Thank you for subscribing to the stereotype that dreads are unsanitary. Maintained locks must be thoroughly washed every few weeks and re-twisted.

Dread-Head
10-05-2010, 11:01 AM
Him? Why cant it be a girl? Ive seen some biggins.

Given the aesthetic beauty of the female form, why would you grab the HAIR when there are so many OTHER really nice things you CAN grab?

scourge
10-05-2010, 11:13 AM
I have dreadlocks and WASH my hair thank you very much. Thank you for subscribing to the stereotype that dreads are unsanitary. Maintained locks must be thoroughly washed every few weeks and re-twisted.

I think that right there is also a reason that the stereotype exists. Most others tend to wash their hair daily, maybe every few days depending on the person.

Dread-Head
10-05-2010, 11:22 AM
I think that right there is also a reason that the stereotype exists. Most others tend to wash their hair daily, maybe every few days depending on the person.

Black hair is a bit different as any beautician will tell you. We can actually do damage to our hair by washing it daily. The average black person washes their hair once or twice a week. Black hair doens't get accumulate oil as quickly as caucasian hair does and doesn't have to be washed as often.

scourge
10-05-2010, 11:38 AM
Black hair is a bit different as any beautician will tell you. We can actually do damage to our hair by washing it daily. The average black person washes their hair once or twice a week. Black hair doens't get accumulate oil as quickly as caucasian hair does and doesn't have to be washed as often.

Roger that. Makes sense considering issues with dried out skin and and "ashy" elbows and such. Never bothered to ask a beautician before. Learn something new every day.

Dread-Head
10-05-2010, 11:44 AM
Roger that. Makes sense considering issues with dried out skin and and "ashy" elbows and such. Never bothered to ask a beautician before. Learn something new every day.

"Ashy elbows". :lol: Sorry I still find that funny. One of mine is borderline ashy right now.

SheTexan
10-05-2010, 11:54 AM

Hard to recognize the dude now. He looked like an entirely different person last night. Funny to see beads of sweat rolling off his head.:)

hobie
10-05-2010, 12:10 PM
Hard to recognize the dude now. He looked like an entirely different person last night. Funny to see beads of sweat rolling off his head.:)

Maybe from the lack of mary-jane.... having the cold sweats?? :kitten:

scourge
10-05-2010, 02:29 PM
"Ashy elbows". :lol: Sorry I still find that funny. One of mine is borderline ashy right now.

One of my friends always says, "Man, where's the cocoa butter? I'm starting to look like Ashy Larry!" everytime his elbows start to do that. Cracks me up every time.

Double Barrel
10-05-2010, 04:18 PM
Can you tackle a guy by his dreads?

As mentioned above, yes you can, and IMO, yes you should. If it's not illegal, do it.

There was a play a season or two ago where a dude was whipped around by his dreads. I can't recall who and what teams, but I vividly remember the reply. It looked like it would hurt.

NitroGSXR
10-05-2010, 04:37 PM

*giggles*