PDA

View Full Version : Kareem leading rookie CB's in tackles

beerlover
10-04-2010, 02:09 PM
Kareem Jackson has taken a lot of heat but there is no doubt he is working hard to improve & HAS HAD A POSITIVE START TO HIS CAREER. He leads all CB's in tackles & is ranked 7th overall for rookies (20). just wanted to give him some positive rep :fingergun:

silvrhand
10-04-2010, 02:11 PM
Kareem Jackson has taken a lot of heat but there is no doubt he is working hard to improve & HAS HAD A POSITIVE START TO HIS CAREER. He leads all CB's in tackles & is ranked 7th overall for rookies (20). just wanted to give him some positive rep :fingergun:

:handshake: agreed, he's doing well in that department, now to see if he can eliminate a few mistakes and get on with the coverage. He looked pretty good this week, but then again we had good pass rush and the raiders, well they really don't have great receivers. #88 from the giants should be an interesting matchup.

The Pencil Neck
10-04-2010, 02:25 PM
Actually, any CB getting a lot of tackles isn't a good thing because that means that his guy probably caught the ball and he had to tackle him. I'd prefer him to lead the league in passes defensed or interceptions.

m5kwatts
10-04-2010, 02:26 PM
Kareem improved a lot this past week vs. the Raiders. He was the best out of all the CBs and overall was avoided. I thought his best play was when McFadden broke lose on a catch and it was him and Kareem one on one in the open field. Instead of Kareem taking a hard straight line to him he slowed down and kept containment and forced him out of bounds. If he had taken the hard straight line McFadden would've beaten him on the angle and had a 60+ yard TD. It was a really heady play on Kareem's part.

beerlover
10-04-2010, 02:40 PM
Actually, any CB getting a lot of tackles isn't a good thing because that means that his guy probably caught the ball and he had to tackle him. I'd prefer him to lead the league in passes defensed or interceptions.

maybe it's not his man? the Texans really value ability to run support, confirmation, just one reason why Rick Smith drafted him. He is improving mirroring the WR once he feels more comfortable sitting on recivers hip he can turn & locate the ball, you can see him progress, its exciting to watch.

Dutchrudder
10-04-2010, 02:43 PM
It's easy to make a lot of tackles when the guy you're covering always catches the ball. Silver lining to a dark cloud that is our secondary.

awtysst
10-04-2010, 02:48 PM

Yes, KJ has looked better and better with every game.

Ole Miss Texan
10-04-2010, 02:51 PM
Great job Kareem! I'll second the thoughts on CBs getting tackles in general AND that Kareem needs to continue improving in his pass coverage.

With that said, Kareem has been very good in run support. It's not just his man, it's running backs that get to the edge and TEs/WRs that catch the ball too. For me it's not just him helping out in run support... but that often times he gets off the WRs block and makes the tackle. Now THAT is impressive.

beerlover
10-04-2010, 03:07 PM

maybe it's not his man? the Texans really value ability to run support, confirmation, just one reason why Rick Smith drafted him. He is improving mirroring the WR once he feels more comfortable sitting on recivers hip he can turn & locate the ball, you can see him progress, its exciting to watch.

beerlover
10-04-2010, 03:33 PM
should also mention he leds all Texan CB's (Glover is next with 18) & KJ is fourth overall on the team.

silvrhand
10-04-2010, 03:39 PM
Kareem improved a lot this past week vs. the Raiders. He was the best out of all the CBs and overall was avoided. I thought his best play was when McFadden broke lose on a catch and it was him and Kareem one on one in the open field. Instead of Kareem taking a hard straight line to him he slowed down and kept containment and forced him out of bounds. If he had taken the hard straight line McFadden would've beaten him on the angle and had a 60+ yard TD. It was a really heady play on Kareem's part.

he also had a one on one tackle in the open field on mcfadden as well as he was coming around the corner, very nice tackle.

thunderkyss
10-04-2010, 03:46 PM
I did this on the other board..... sounds relevant here.

Thankfully, we're only three games into the season, so it shouldn't be too hard to check that out.

Indy:
- Austin Collie: 6 yards
- Gonzales: 12 yards
- Addai: 1 yard
- Addai: 17 yards
4 tackles, 2 WRs 18 yards (in a game we gave up 400)
Washington:
- Sellers: 22 yards
- Moss: 0 gain
- Galloway: 63 yards
- Moss: 10 yards
- Davis: 62 yards
- Larry Johnson: 3 yards

6 tackles, 3 vs WRs 73 yards
Cowboys
- F.Jones: 1 yard
- Witten: 4 yards
- R.Williams: 7 yards
- Witten: 8 yards
- Hurd: 10 yards
- Bryant: 5 yards

6 tackles, 3 vs WRs 22 yards

6+6+4= 16 tackles... obviously some of those were assist.. 8 vs WRs that's 50%
If I took out the assisted tackles, that number might be closer to 95%
113 yards.

This also doesn't take into account Kareem getting beat & someone else making the tackle. But I don't remember a lot of that happening.

Also, we played a lot of Zone, so even though we see him tackling WRs, they might not have been his responsibility. But the number of TEs & RBs on that list leads me to believe his high number of tackles isn't because WRs are catching balls on him all day.

Texecutioner
10-04-2010, 04:19 PM
he also had a one on one tackle in the open field on mcfadden as well as he was coming around the corner, very nice tackle.

Jackson laid the wood a few times on guys yesterday. At one point I asked my buddy who that LB was because Kareem leaned so hard into him, and was shocked when I realized it was the rookie corner who had laid the hit.

Other than that though, like some people have mentioned having the most tackles for a CB is usually because he's been getting thrown on all day. It's not really a good sign in this case.

Who was Kareem shadowing throughout most of the game? Was it Murphy? If so he did a great job, because Murphy had been playing really well until yesterday.

TexansSeminole
10-04-2010, 04:26 PM

That's not always true. If we are playing zone and he has to come up to make a tackle from a deep position on a short pass and makes the tackle, that's a positive play. He's been doing that type of thing pretty well. He's had his problems covering though, so I do think part of what your are saying is correct.

Rey
10-04-2010, 04:33 PM

Kjax makes a lot of tackles on guys that he's not covering....One thing is for sure...He is a ver, very good tackler...

He tackles better than some LB's and safeties that have been through here...

Rarely gets juked, and he has delivered some very big blows....

Rey
10-04-2010, 04:34 PM
Jackson laid the wood a few times on guys yesterday. At one point I asked my buddy who that LB was because Kareem leaned so hard into him, and was shocked when I realized it was the rookie corner who had laid the hit.

Other than that though, like some people have mentioned having the most tackles for a CB is usually because he's been getting thrown on all day. It's not really a good sign in this case.

Who was Kareem shadowing throughout most of the game? Was it Murphy? If so he did a great job, because Murphy had been playing really well until yesterday.

Texans mostly played Zone yesterday...

Rey
10-04-2010, 04:35 PM
Thankfully, we're only three games into the season, so it shouldn't be too hard to check that out.

Indy:
- Austin Collie: 6 yards
- Gonzales: 12 yards
- Addai: 1 yard
- Addai: 17 yards

4 tackles, 2 WRs 18 yards (in a game we gave up 400)

Washington:
- Sellers: 22 yards
- Moss: 0 gain
- Galloway: 63 yards
- Moss: 10 yards
- Davis: 62 yards
- Larry Johnson: 3 yards

6 tackles, 3 vs WRs 73 yards

Cowboys
- F.Jones: 1 yard
- Witten: 4 yards
- R.Williams: 7 yards
- Witten: 8 yards
- Hurd: 10 yards
- Bryant: 5 yards

6 tackles, 3 vs WRs 22 yards

6+6+4= 16 tackles... obviously some of those were assist.. 8 vs WRs that's 50%
If I took out the assisted tackles, that number might be closer to 95%
113 yards.

This also doesn't take into account Kareem getting beat & someone else making the tackle. But I don't remember a lot of that happening.

That's pretty good evidence right there...

mokalus
10-06-2010, 11:24 AM
Just out of curiosity, has anybody been seeing how Kyle Wilson is doing with the Jets? I know KJ fits our system better since he was said to be a better tackler, but other than the first game of the year with the Jets vs Ravens, I haven't seen any Jets games.

And in that game, Wilson got burned a few times and had at least a couple pass interference calls.

silvrhand
10-06-2010, 12:13 PM
Just out of curiosity, has anybody been seeing how Kyle Wilson is doing with the Jets? I know KJ fits our system better since he was said to be a better tackler, but other than the first game of the year with the Jets vs Ravens, I haven't seen any Jets games.

And in that game, Wilson got burned a few times and had at least a couple pass interference calls.

Yes he is struggling as well..

gtexan02
10-06-2010, 12:32 PM
What about haden in CLeveland/

BigBull17
10-06-2010, 12:53 PM
However, he is solid in run support. He has looked better every game, so yay.

beerlover
10-06-2010, 01:15 PM
What about haden in CLeveland/

Tackles
1 T.J. Ward CLE SS 36
2 Daryl Washington ARI ILB 25
3 Sean Weatherspoon ATL OLB 24
5 Earl Thomas SEA FS 23
6 Alterraun Verner TEN DB 21
7 Kareem Jackson HOU CB 20
8 Devin McCourty NE CB 19
9 Eric Berry KC SS 17
10 Kyle Wilson NYJ CB 16
11 Brandon Spikes NE ILB 15
11 Ndamukong Suh DET DT 15
13 Nate Allen PHI FS 14
13 NaVorro Bowman SF LB 14
13 Morgan Burnett GB SS 14
13 Joe Haden CLE CB 14
17 Taylor Mays SF DB 13
18 Perrish Cox DEN CB 11

beerlover
10-16-2010, 01:22 PM
Just to update Kareem is now ranked 2nd among rookie cb's with 25 tackles. taking over #1 position is former USC, now Titan Alterraun Verner with 30.

Also could not help but notice that Earl Mitchell is ranked 3rd amongst DT's in tackles with 11. Tyson Aluala drafted 10th overall by Jacksonville has only one more tackle (12) then way ahead of the pack its Ndamukong Suh (18) who also leads in sacks (3). For reference the 3rd overall pick Gerald McCoy has only 5.

kiwitexansfan
10-16-2010, 04:26 PM
Sounds like Dunta, play off give up the catch and then show off your solid tackling skills.

ubecool454
10-16-2010, 04:33 PM
Sounds like Dunta, play off give up the catch and then show off your solid tackling skills.

Good God...give Dunta a break...sure he did play off his man last year but he was coming off a injury that would have me and you disabled for life. What I would give right now to have him back here.

thunderkyss
10-16-2010, 04:35 PM
Good God...give Dunta a break...sure he did play off his man last year but he was coming off a injury that would have me and you disabled for life. What I would give right now to have him back here.

Then you can expect to see what we are seeing all year long.

Dunta is what he is. Reeves, what he is. Kareem will get better.

Bulluck53
10-16-2010, 05:45 PM
Verner went to UCLA, not USC.

CB tackles is very misleading. It could mean that said CB allows too many completions, or that he is really good in run support. Id imagine the truth lies in the middle. Verner is leading because he's been getting a lot of attention from QBs since entering the line-up. He is good in run support but most have been off completions.

It also may be important to take into account what kind of defense the CB is in. The Titans like to sit their CBs in a zone, keeping the receiver in front of them and making the tackle. Not sure if thats the case with Jackson but it could be.

Maddict5
10-16-2010, 09:10 PM
i know this thread is more about kareem allowing completions and struggling so far but who wasnt impressed with the way he set the edge by popping nicks? (a much bigger play on that play that was brought back by a penalty last sunday. hes been terrible but stuff like that & his int show me he as the capability to eventually grow to be a good cb

thunderkyss
10-16-2010, 11:41 PM
i know this thread is more about kareem allowing completions and struggling so far but who wasnt impressed with the way he set the edge by popping nicks? (a much bigger play on that play that was brought back by a penalty last sunday. hes been terrible but stuff like that & his int show me he as the capability to eventually grow to be a good cb
I think that was Boss.... an even bigger player.

Rey
10-17-2010, 01:09 AM
I think that was Boss.... an even bigger player.

Yeah, dude is extremely physical...

I love how he launches himself into ball carriers when his teammates already have them wrapped up, and I like how he has solid tackling skills in the open field...

thunderkyss
11-18-2010, 08:50 PM
Tackles
1 T.J. Ward CLE SS 36
2 Daryl Washington ARI ILB 25
3 Sean Weatherspoon ATL OLB 24
5 Earl Thomas SEA FS 23
6 Alterraun Verner TEN DB 21
7 Kareem Jackson HOU CB 20
8 Devin McCourty NE CB 19
9 Eric Berry KC SS 17
10 Kyle Wilson NYJ CB 16
11 Brandon Spikes NE ILB 15
11 Ndamukong Suh DET DT 15
13 Nate Allen PHI FS 14
13 NaVorro Bowman SF LB 14
13 Morgan Burnett GB SS 14
13 Joe Haden CLE CB 14
17 Taylor Mays SF DB 13
18 Perrish Cox DEN CB 11

Did I ever mention Earl Thomas is from West Orange??

Right down the street from where I work. Well,

where I'm employed.