PDA

View Full Version : Earl Mitchell

HardKnockTexan
10-04-2010, 10:55 AM
He had a big game against the Raiders. Do you guys think he pushes Okoye or Cody out of the starting lineup this week?

El Tejano
10-04-2010, 10:56 AM
I think he takes out Cody. They rotate so it really doesn't matter too too much. Mitchell was getting some really good pressure though.

HOU-TEX
10-04-2010, 11:17 AM
I think he takes out Cody. They rotate so it really doesn't matter too too much. Mitchell was getting some really good pressure though.

Nah, Cody won't receive the accolades other DTs get, but he's solid against the run. The Mitch will come in for him at times in passing situations, but I'd rather see Cody on running downs.

Corrosion
10-04-2010, 11:23 AM
Nah, Cody won't receive the accolades other DTs get, but he's solid against the run. The Mitch will come in for him at times in passing situations, but I'd rather see Cody on running downs.

I agree with this statement. :handshake:

beerlover
10-04-2010, 11:29 AM
mitchell seems interchangeable with Okoye.

False Start
10-04-2010, 11:30 AM
Yesterday's game was the first time hes made more than just a play here, and there. I think hes coming around to the speed of real games. I have a good feeling about The Mitch. :cool:

m5kwatts
10-04-2010, 11:35 AM
I could be wrong but I believe Mitchell did start with Amobi yesterday and the two took the majority of the DT snaps in the 1st quarter. Cody spelled Mitchell at one point late in the 1st. Anyone with the game DVR'd, am I wrong?

pbat488
10-04-2010, 12:11 PM
I want Shaun Cody starting just so when they show the starting defensive lineup's at the beginning of games we get to see this gem which always cracks me up..

http://www.rotoworld.com/images/headshots/NFL/3182.jpg

Rey
10-04-2010, 04:26 PM
I don't think they will start him, but he will probably see a little more playing time.

None of the DT's have wowed me, but they have all made some good plays here and there.

Not overly concerned about who starts because they all seem to get their share of playing time.

Dutchrudder
10-04-2010, 04:31 PM
Mitchell is looking like a very capable backup to Okoye. I don't think he's the right type of DT to replace Cody, but he sure could steal Okoye's job by the end of the season. I like seeing him in there on passing plays, but I like Okoye more against the run game.

thunderkyss
10-04-2010, 06:12 PM
I could be wrong but I believe Mitchell did start with Amobi yesterday and the two took the majority of the DT snaps in the 1st quarter. Cody spelled Mitchell at one point late in the 1st. Anyone with the game DVR'd, am I wrong?

I need to look, I didn't count snaps, I usually don't. But I did see a lot of Mitchell & Okoye on the field. Unlike when we put Smith in the game, Mitchell was lined up at NT (when Smith is in, both tackles normally line up outside the guards) & he was able to penetrate and cause havoc.

If he can continue to do that, Cody will be replaced.

MojoMan
10-04-2010, 07:29 PM
I didn't count the number of plays, but I think Frank Okam played a good bit yesterday.

PHAROAH
10-04-2010, 09:31 PM
I think he is better than Okoye in time I think he will take over as the starter. 6'2 300 is nice at the Under Tackle Position.

CretorFrigg
10-04-2010, 10:11 PM
Maybe it was just me...but it seemed like Earl Mitchell was overaggressive at times which made him particularly susceptible to the draw play. I don't know if that's what Bush is asking him to do or not. When it comes to rushing the passer though, it seems like Earl Mitchell could be our ideal guy.

The Pencil Neck
10-04-2010, 10:16 PM
Maybe it was just me...but it seemed like Earl Mitchell was overaggressive at times which made him particularly susceptible to the draw play. I don't know if that's what Bush is asking him to do or not. When it comes to rushing the passer though, it seems like Earl Mitchell could be our ideal guy.

I think Kollar/Bush want a d-line that penetrates and disrupts and then have the LBs stop the draws and screens (although if the d-linemen read it and are able to stop those, great.)

I think Mitchell is more of a Kollar kind of player because he's got that low pad level and he's able to get that good penetration. Antonio Smith is the same way. Sometimes he'll run himself out of plays because of his aggressiveness but that's the scheme we want to go with.

That's also why we're hesitant to go after the big run-stuffing NT.

Brisco_County
10-04-2010, 11:05 PM
I think they're going to keep him at NT for a while, then phase him into 3 tech gap-shooting. His speed is best utilized for that.

m5kwatts
10-04-2010, 11:40 PM
I didn't count the number of plays, but I think Frank Okam played a good bit yesterday.

He's found a role for himself as a short-yardage & goal line guy, to my surprise. I didn't think he'd last this long. He'll come in handy a lot more now as a nose guard given how much more 3-4 we'll be playing with Cushing back.

Texan_Touchdown
10-05-2010, 02:48 AM
They're all going to get a good amount of time on the field.

kiwitexansfan
10-05-2010, 08:21 AM
Just quietly it is this kind of player that Smithiak pick up way before any of us think they should be which makes me very grateful for our FO.

b0ng
10-05-2010, 10:00 AM
Maybe it was just me...but it seemed like Earl Mitchell was overaggressive at times which made him particularly susceptible to the draw play.

I think it's our entire effing defense that does that, not just particularly Earl Mitchell.