PDA

View Full Version : Playing with the Lead

mokalus
10-04-2010, 11:21 AM
I know a win is a win, but I have been unimpressed with the playcalling on both sides of the ball when the team has a lead in the second half. Granted, against the Colts, we just ran all day as they couldn't stop the OL, Leach, and Foster, but in terms of a game like yesterday's, I believe the coaches need to call the game better and not "leave it up to the defense" to stop a game-tying drive.

I'm a bit less critical on defense just because I believe Cushing's return will make a significant difference on the team's pass defense, but on offense, the play-calling is much too conservative for my liking. Even while the playbook was more creative at the beginning of the game to get the lead, I still think it was "conservative" enough to not be too much at risk for a turnover, with Schaub never really being in trouble and making the right decisions to throw the ball away if there was nobody open. But the playcalling got ultra-conservative way too early in the 4th, IMO. I just think the offense needs to learn to string together a few first downs by not just trying to run the ball down the other team's throat, as this game should have been put away long before it was officially over. We just dominated the Raiders too much for it to only be a 1 possession game.

Thoughts?

Section516
10-04-2010, 11:33 AM
I know a win is a win, but I have been unimpressed with the playcalling on both sides of the ball when the team has a lead in the second half. Granted, against the Colts, we just ran all day as they couldn't stop the OL, Leach, and Foster, but in terms of a game like yesterday's, I believe the coaches need to call the game better and not "leave it up to the defense" to stop a game-tying drive.

I'm a bit less critical on defense just because I believe Cushing's return will make a significant difference on the team's pass defense, but on offense, the play-calling is much too conservative for my liking. Even while the playbook was more creative at the beginning of the game to get the lead, I still think it was "conservative" enough to not be too much at risk for a turnover, with Schaub never really being in trouble and making the right decisions to throw the ball away if there was nobody open. But the playcalling got ultra-conservative way too early in the 4th, IMO. I just think the offense needs to learn to string together a few first downs by not just trying to run the ball down the other team's throat, as this game should have been put away long before it was officially over. We just dominated the Raiders too much for it to only be a 1 possession game.

Thoughts?

You know what, I agree. Lets sling the ball way down there to our playing-at-40% superstar TE, our 2nd string WR lined against the best CB in the league, along with our fourth string WR. We played the way we had to in order to win. Can't go for big plays when you have no one to catch the ball.

silvrhand
10-04-2010, 11:36 AM
You know what, I agree. Lets sling the ball way down there to our playing-at-40% superstar TE, our 2nd string WR lined against the best CB in the league, along with our fourth string WR. We played the way we had to in order to win. Can't go for big plays when you have no one to catch the ball.

This has been Kubiak in the past though, he gets super conservative when he has a lead, instead of continuing to run what was working.

El Tejano
10-04-2010, 11:38 AM
Yeah, I think the reason we got ultra conservative is because we were basically down to 2 receivers - KW and DA.

Section516
10-04-2010, 11:38 AM
I give a pass for this game. Only problem i had with play calling was the 3rd and 5 with Ward.

Dutchrudder
10-04-2010, 11:40 AM

With about 8 mins left in the 4th, we got the ball and had a 10 point lead. The play call was run, pass (incomplete), pass(incomplete). They took about 45 seconds off the clock, which was idiotic. Just run, run, run when you're up in the 4th! Our run game was doing so well at the time, why bother with the passes when you're just playing against the clock? Every first down should equal 2 minutes off the clock.

Texan_Bill
10-04-2010, 11:40 AM
http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/529676/haters_gonna_hate.gif

mokalus
10-04-2010, 11:47 AM
This has been Kubiak in the past though, he gets super conservative when he has a lead, instead of continuing to run what was working.

Again, I'm not trying to sound like an ingrate, and I hate to bring up the decision to punt against the Redskins as that's been beaten to death, but I just get the feeling that although Kubiak says he is "trusting in the defense," he's essentially just playing not to lose instead of playing to win.

And I know we won both games, and trust me, I'm real happy we did, but it's just not a trend that is too encouraging going forward. I guess I'm just not in the "we won so it was the right decision" boat, but hey, if you feel strongly otherwise, we can agree to disagree. Just wanted to see if anybody else was worried about this.

JB
10-04-2010, 11:48 AM
http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/529676/haters_gonna_hate.gif

:clap:

silvrhand
10-04-2010, 11:54 AM
With about 8 mins left in the 4th, we got the ball and had a 10 point lead. The play call was run, pass (incomplete), pass(incomplete). They took about 45 seconds off the clock, which was idiotic. Just run, run, run when you're up in the 4th! Our run game was doing so well at the time, why bother with the passes when you're just playing against the clock? Every first down should equal 2 minutes off the clock.

Come on Bill/JB I know you guys had to be going WTF when this was going on I was doing the same. We all know Kubiak gets ultra conservative when he's ahead, but this just doesn't make any sense to me, especially this late in the game.

gtexan02
10-04-2010, 12:05 PM
Our running game was averaging 6+ yards per carry, and it was the 4th quarter. Run it down there throats

infantrycak
10-04-2010, 12:08 PM

The difference from the past is shutting down the passing game and shiftying to a running game which wasn't working v. sticking with a running game which was working. We have the highest rushing 1st down % in the league. So ball means continue with what was working.

El Tejano
10-04-2010, 12:08 PM
I give a pass for this game. Only problem i had with play calling was the 3rd and 5 with Ward.

It was conservative but it was also very important to do because it caused Oakland to use one of their time outs so that they only had two left on offense while we still had all 3. It was a play for percentage call because if Ward gets the 1st down, which he almost did, Oakland was going to have to start burning all their timeouts.

We didn't have any real playmakers at WR in there, so our chances of converting were probably just as low as if we ran it. Why risk the turnover, give it to the veteran RB who was also averaging about 5 ypc. If he gets it game over, if not we get Oakland to burn a timeout.

The Pencil Neck
10-04-2010, 12:16 PM
My problem was that we weren't conservative enough.

We threw when we should have been running. We should have just pounded the ball.

Now, on the punt in OT... I had no problem with the punt. You don't kick a field goal in that situation and going for it on 4th would have been a little bit crazy. But again, I thought we played away from our strength in that series. We threw when we should have been pounding the ball.

I've said this in another thread, I think Kubiak and Dennison are struggling with their mind-set. They still think of this as a pass-first team, a team that sets up the run with the pass, and we aren't that team any more. We are now a run-first team.

drs23
10-04-2010, 12:19 PM
Hey, JB. Time for your "GIANTS SUCK!" license plate! :D

Corrosion
10-04-2010, 12:50 PM

Just ask the Skins about slingin it around with a lead.

Scooter
10-04-2010, 12:52 PM
We threw when we should have been running. We should have just pounded the ball.

this. the way we were running, we shouldnt have bothered with a single pass in the 4th quarter ... i had some especially choice words towards the TV for the run for 5 yards, incomplete, incomplete series that dutch mentioned. all 3 of our backs were productive and foster was just abusing the raiders, and getting ward and slaton carries more touches on first and second downs would've been great for them. also, we should obviously be protecting schaub while he's without his top 2 weapons.

i wasnt a fan of the playcalling in the 4th.

Norg
10-04-2010, 01:03 PM
When u got the lead RUN DA BALL and kill tha clock ........

TexanBacker93
10-04-2010, 01:12 PM

I agree that the smart move is to run the ball here, but no matter which poison pill Kubiak chooses he'll be blasted by half the fans if they don't make it.

mokalus
10-04-2010, 01:18 PM
I agree that the smart move is to run the ball here, but no matter which poison pill Kubiak chooses he'll be blasted by half the fans if they don't make it.

I just don't like Kubiak's usual mindset of playing not to lose rather than playing to win. I hope it's not a trend that continues to later on in the season when it might not always work out for the team, but I've been impressed with the playcalling overall this year, with a few exceptions.

Either way, I gotta go back to watching Brian Cushing highlights for the rest of the week. Go Texans.

silvrhand
10-04-2010, 02:00 PM
The difference from the past is shutting down the passing game and shiftying to a running game which wasn't working v. sticking with a running game which was working. We have the highest rushing 1st down % in the league. So ball means continue with what was working.

?? I was talking about the interesting series that he runs on first down and throws it twice on second and third down, which was about as frustrating as watching Matt throw it for 5 yards on 3rd and > 8...

infantrycak
10-04-2010, 02:15 PM
?? I was talking about the interesting series that he runs on first down and throws it twice on second and third down, which was about as frustrating as watching Matt throw it for 5 yards on 3rd and > 8...

OK - most people don't characterize passing instead of running as super conservative.

Corrosion
10-04-2010, 02:22 PM
OK - most people don't characterize passing instead of running as super conservative.

I think what he was refering to was the several times during yesterdays game that Schaub was forced to check down and throw short of the 1st down mark on 3rd downs.

I think on most of those occasions that the coverage was excelent and dictated he take what was there.

infantrycak
10-04-2010, 03:12 PM
I think what he was refering to was the several times during yesterdays game that Schaub was forced to check down and throw short of the 1st down mark on 3rd downs.

I think on most of those occasions that the coverage was excelent and dictated he take what was there.

Which series are we talking about?

10:56 in the 4th the Texans 3 and out after a 5 yard run and then 2 incompletions.

6:13 in the 4th the Texans punt after 5 straight running plays.

1:40 in the 4th the Texans kneel after two running plays.

Check downs are self-defining - they weren't the first option on the play so the fact that the QB chooses to check down doesn't indicate the play call was conservative.

silvrhand
10-04-2010, 03:35 PM

10:56 in the 4th the Texans 3 and out after a 5 yard run and then 2 incompletions.

Check downs are self-defining - they weren't the first option on the play so the fact that the QB chooses to check down doesn't indicate the play call was conservative.

@work so let me dig this up on nfl.com, I like their site but their gamebook is a bit of pain to read..

10:56 9:56 1:00 Kickoff HST 20 3 5 0 5 0 HST 25 Punt
12 6:13 3:04 3:09 Kickoff HST 20 5 18 0 18 1 HST 38 Punt

I don't have the video in front of me but the last two series felt very conservative and playing not to lose. The first series was even more puzzling as we came out the previous drive, and jammed it down their throat on a 7 minute drive. We come out and run for 5 yards, then pass twice and put for a total of 1 minute?

Houston Texans at 10:56
11-S.Janikowski kicks 75 yards from OAK 30 to HST -5. 20-S.Slaton, Touchback.
1-10-HOU 20
(10:56) 23-A.Foster right guard to HST 25 for 5 yards (93-T.Kelly, 33-T.Branch).
2-5-HOU 25
(10:18) 8-M.Schaub pass incomplete short right to 83-K.Walter.
3-5-HOU 25
(10:13) 8-M.Schaub pass incomplete short left to 85-J.Dreessen.

Ok so Kubiak learns from that but then we almost go inbetween the tackles, when we were having success around the edges.

11-S.Janikowski kicks 70 yards from OAK 30 to end zone, Touchback.
1-10-HOU 20
(6:13) 23-A.Foster right tackle to HST 22 for 2 yards (52-Q.Groves).
2-8-HOU 22
(5:27) 23-A.Foster left end to HST 30 for 8 yards (33-T.Branch).
1-10-HOU 30
(4:48) 23-A.Foster right tackle to HST 30 for no gain (91-T.Scott, 52-Q.Groves).
2-10-HOU 30
(4:00) 23-A.Foster left tackle to HST 34 for 4 yards (24-M.Huff).
3-6-HOU 34
(3:21) 32-D.Ward right tackle to HST 38 for 4 yards (Team).

silvrhand
10-04-2010, 03:38 PM

You know what drives me crazy.. and we saw this multiple times, is when receivers don't run routes to the sticks, or you call plays that are short of the first down. I mean 1/2 yards off yah ok, but come on throwing for 4-5 yards on 3rd and 12..

b0ng
10-04-2010, 03:40 PM
I am upset with the fashion in which we won this game, here are my criticisms and thoughts on how I would be a better coach in the NFL

Corrosion
10-04-2010, 03:57 PM

I picked up on this from a comment in another thread and agree with the bold.

You know what drives me crazy.. and we saw this multiple times, is when receivers don't run routes to the sticks, or you call plays that are short of the first down. I mean 1/2 yards off yah ok, but come on throwing for 4-5 yards on 3rd and 12..

I agree in principal ... but putting it in play when there are 11 guy's on the other side of the ball is sometimes more difficult.

Im going to go back and watch the game again later this evening but from what I saw the Raiders did a real good job on 3rd down of keeping the recievers in front of them and the sticks while getting enough pressure on Schaub to make him settle for those plays or force the ball into tight or double coverage and risk a turnover.
Their secondary is very good , have to give them some credit for the Texans only converting 46% on 3rd down.

thunderkyss
10-04-2010, 04:13 PM
I just don't like Kubiak's usual mindset of playing not to lose rather than playing to win. I hope it's not a trend that continues to later on in the season when it might not always work out for the team, but I've been impressed with the playcalling overall this year, with a few exceptions.

Either way, I gotta go back to watching Brian Cushing highlights for the rest of the week. Go Texans.

I'm not sure what to think here. On one hand you're complaining because we were "ultra-conservative" yet we've got people talking about how bad it was to call two pass plays in the 4th Qtr....

If we're throwing the ball, that tells me we're still trying to move it, and hopefully score.

Then we've got folks saying we should have ran it more in the 4th.... & silvrhand posts the play-by-play with 5 straight runs.

I have no doubt in my mind, that Kubiak isn't comfortable with a 10 point lead, unless we've got less than a minute in the game. & if we're playing the Colts or someone like that, he's still not comfy.

I seriously doubt any of those plays were called with the intention of just running out the clock. Other than the knee of course.

beerlover
10-04-2010, 04:18 PM
I beleive every situation is different. In this case playing on that field (players losing footing, see even the oakland players doing it) & fact your #1 offensive weapon is not available (andre johnson) led to conservative playcalling with the defense playing well.

buddyboy
10-04-2010, 04:18 PM

Running the ball doesn't mean playing not to lose. Maybe in past years where our running game hasn't been effective.

This year, however, running the game at the end of games is a way of stepping on their throats. The Raiders showed that they could not stop the run, so running it down their throats and saying, "Just try and stop us" would have been the way to play to win.

You're up, it's the fourth quarter, playing to win is to run and kill the clock, not throw and try and run up the score.

mokalus
10-04-2010, 04:26 PM
Running the ball doesn't mean playing not to lose. Maybe in past years where our running game hasn't been effective.

This year, however, running the game at the end of games is a way of stepping on their throats. The Raiders showed that they could not stop the run, so running it down their throats and saying, "Just try and stop us" would have been the way to play to win.

You're up, it's the fourth quarter, playing to win is to run and kill the clock, not throw and try and run up the score.

Yeah I guess my main beef was just the overall playcalling in the 4th quarter. True, of course you want to run the ball more if you have a 4th quarter lead, but there just seemed to be no creativity or deception to our run schemes. I may have to go back and look at some of the plays to make sure, but it didn't seem like we were running to the right side, which seemed to be very successful all game. Instead, there was a lot of running up the middle, and the 3rd and 5 play with Ward running just baffled me.

silvrhand
10-04-2010, 04:38 PM
Yeah I guess my main beef was just the overall playcalling in the 4th quarter. True, of course you want to run the ball more if you have a 4th quarter lead, but there just seemed to be no creativity or deception to our run schemes. I may have to go back and look at some of the plays to make sure, but it didn't seem like we were running to the right side, which seemed to be very successful all game. Instead, there was a lot of running up the middle, and the 3rd and 5 play with Ward running just baffled me.

Hence my statement that we went conservative again in the 4th quarter, this isn't the first time for Kubiak to do this, so I'm a little confused on why people are so defensive about his play calling?

Hervoyel
10-04-2010, 04:40 PM
I think Gary Kubiak is a conservative coach and I think his decisions will almost certainly always lean that way. This game however is not the game to use when pointing that out. Conservative was the appropriate approach.

In the past has he cost us a win or two because of conservative play calling? Probably. I know the Texans on his watch have also left a few wins out on the field thanks to bizarre calls at the worst possible moment as well. Chris Brown tossing up a half-back pass?

The man shows signs of having learned on the job. I'm happy enough with that. I don't want to spend the next couple of years or even just this year slowly roasting Kubiak over decisions he made from 2006-2009. I'd like us to be aggressive and go get as many points as it takes to make the other team lie down but anybody can come back on you. You have to have a defense that can "stop a game tying drive" too.

Rey
10-04-2010, 04:42 PM

Kubiak has put faith into his defense and his O-line.

I think that is pretty big from a team standpoint. When your coach shows that he believes in you it instills confidence.

If you look at the last couple of offensive series, Kubiak did try to pass and it failed.

So I didn't really have a problem with him coming out and trying to run it three times for a first at the end.

mokalus
10-04-2010, 04:44 PM
Hence my statement that we went conservative again in the 4th quarter, this isn't the first time for Kubiak to do this, so I'm a little confused on why people are so defensive about his play calling?

I think most people don't care about the means as long as it gets to the right end. For me, I'm happy with the Redskins win, but I just can't help but think how we were one timeout away from a loss. And for yesterday's game, while we dominated the game IMO, it was still a one-score game until the end, and if Louis Murphy doesn't choke on 4th down, their drive is still alive, and Nolan doesn't get his 2nd INT.

It'd just be nice to be able to put games away when we have a 4th quarter lead. I mean, if we played the Raiders every week I wouldn't be worried about anything...

Corrosion
10-04-2010, 05:19 PM
Yeah I guess my main beef was just the overall playcalling in the 4th quarter. True, of course you want to run the ball more if you have a 4th quarter lead, but there just seemed to be no creativity or deception to our run schemes.] I may have to go back and look at some of the plays to make sure, but it didn't seem like we were running to the right side, which seemed to be very successful all game. Instead, there was a lot of running up the middle, and the 3rd and 5 play with Ward running just baffled me.

When you have a lead like that everyone in the stadium knows what you want to do .... You arent going to be very deceptive.

As for the 3rd and 5 play from Ward that was a yard or two short - It forced the Raiders to start spending their time outs right then. Had it been a pass which fell incomplete the clock stops , they get the ball and have all their time outs.

Schaub only completed 16/29 on the day.
No AJ
No JJ
The footing on the field was bad and thats probably an understatement.
The Raiders WR's had only 4 combined catches for 38 yards up to that point -they finished with the same.
Considering all that in that situation , I'll trust my defense to protect a 7 point lead.
Kubiak made the right call.

thunderkyss
10-04-2010, 05:26 PM
I think Gary Kubiak is a conservative coach and I think his decisions will almost certainly always lean that way. This game however is not the game to use when pointing that out. Conservative was the appropriate approach.

In the past has he cost us a win or two because of conservative play calling? Probably. I know the Texans on his watch have also left a few wins out on the field thanks to bizarre calls at the worst possible moment as well. Chris Brown tossing up a half-back pass?

I think Gary by his nature is a bit conservative, in choosing who to play & when, In selecting his coaching staff, even picking up free agents.

But I think he learned to be conservative with his play-calling, with this team. When he was with the Broncos, they were a punch you in the throat after we kick you in he gnads offense. I know Shanahan was probably the dominate personality there, but Kubiak was there for many years.

I remember in 2006, every time we tried to hurry anything up, or go for the jugular, or run a two minute offense, it always bit us in the butt. Everytime since, that we tried a two minute drive it bit us as well. I believe as soon as these guys show they can handle it Kubiak will unleash the whup-ass. I know it's going on five years, but can you remember a time when we tried to pour it on & it not bite us?
You have to have a defense that can "stop a game tying drive" too.

True...

true.

thunderkyss
10-04-2010, 05:58 PM
I think most people don't care about the means as long as it gets to the right end.

It'd just be nice to be able to put games away when we have a 4th quarter lead. I mean, if we played the Raiders every week I wouldn't be worried about anything...

I don't think that is the case at all. I think most people understand each game needs to be looked at independently, you take the good & the bad. At the end of the day, you figure out what you got, what you don't got, & how to get better.

We started this game without AJ, Cushing, & Brown. That's three first round talents, and all a major part of what makes this team go, on both sides of the ball, & Arian Foster was benched for some obscure reason. We still put up 31 points, rushed for 250 yards, dropped the Raiders to the 6th rushing offense in the league & McFadden went from averaging 115 ypg to 98 ypg (because we held him to 47 yards). On top of all that, we learned that Bernard Pollard can still bring it.. Mario does have help, AF still broke off OneFiddy, & we gave up Zero Sacks.

Lot of good... some bad... we got a W... & we get Cushing back next week.

Like I said in another thread, there will be plenty of time for wailing & gnashing of teeth. Let's bask in the koolaide for a little...

The Pencil Neck
10-04-2010, 11:09 PM

If that's the only guy you've got open, then that's the play to make.

You don't throw it to the guys that are 12-20 yards down the field if they aren't open.

The Pencil Neck
10-04-2010, 11:11 PM
I'm not sure what to think here. On one hand you're complaining because we were "ultra-conservative" yet we've got people talking about how bad it was to call two pass plays in the 4th Qtr....

If we're throwing the ball, that tells me we're still trying to move it, and hopefully score.

Then we've got folks saying we should have ran it more in the 4th.... & silvrhand posts the play-by-play with 5 straight runs.

I have no doubt in my mind, that Kubiak isn't comfortable with a 10 point lead, unless we've got less than a minute in the game. & if we're playing the Colts or someone like that, he's still not comfy.

I seriously doubt any of those plays were called with the intention of just running out the clock. Other than the knee of course.

I have a problem with the series where we ran it once and threw it twice and only ate up a minute off the clock.

I have NO problem with the series where we ran it 5 straight times and ate up 3 minutes off the clock. Even if we ran it on a 3rd and 5 with Ward.

Other people probably feel the opposite on those two series.

thunderkyss
10-05-2010, 10:14 AM
If that's the only guy you've got open, then that's the play to make.

You don't throw it to the guys that are 12-20 yards down the field if they aren't open.

Exactly, & that route was probably designed to clear the middle for the deeper routes.... but if the CBs played under with a safety over the top... they still aren't open & all you have left, is the under route.

thunderkyss
10-05-2010, 10:28 AM
I have a problem with the series where we ran it once and threw it twice and only ate up a minute off the clock.

I have NO problem with the series where we ran it 5 straight times and ate up 3 minutes off the clock. Even if we ran it on a 3rd and 5 with Ward.

Other people probably feel the opposite on those two series.

So you're obviously not one of the people complaining we went conservative too early.

That's my point, we've got people in this thread, half arguing we were too conservative, & the other half arguing we need to run the ball more.

TimeKiller
10-05-2010, 11:34 AM
In his presser Kubiak explained he was trying to get the Raiders to burn timeouts by running and that he saw Turk having a good day punting and trusted his defense. I know this is hard to get a hold of but Kubiak always has solid reasoning behind his decisions and it's usually stuff that only an NFL coach would be capable of determining. This is why he's in the biz and you're sitting at a computer complaining about a win/3-1 team.

Corrosion
10-05-2010, 12:17 PM
In his presser Kubiak explained he was trying to get the Raiders to burn timeouts by running and that he saw Turk having a good day punting and trusted his defense. I know this is hard to get a hold of but Kubiak always has solid reasoning behind his decisions and it's usually stuff that only an NFL coach would be capable of determining. This is why he's in the biz and you're sitting at a computer complaining about a win/3-1 team.

When you have a lead like that everyone in the stadium knows what you want to do .... You arent going to be very deceptive.

As for the 3rd and 5 play from Ward that was a yard or two short - It forced the Raiders to start spending their time outs right then. Had it been a pass which fell incomplete the clock stops , they get the ball and have all their time outs.

Schaub only completed 16/29 on the day.
No AJ
No JJ
The footing on the field was bad and thats probably an understatement.
The Raiders WR's had only 4 combined catches for 38 yards up to that point -they finished with the same.
Considering all that in that situation , I'll trust my defense to protect a 7 point lead.
Kubiak made the right call.

Seemed like common sense to me ..... Make the 1st down or not , the Raiders were forced at that time to spend their time outs by keeping the clock moving.
And considering their inability to move the ball downfield with any vertical threat and McFadden out .... It was a no brainer , sure their TE had a nice game but they were not going to gain yards in big chunks.