PDA

View Full Version : Troy Nolan just became our starting FS

Texans34Life
10-03-2010, 06:01 PM
Have a seat, Eugene.... :kingkong:

Ryan
10-03-2010, 06:14 PM
I knew it was a mistake keeping that guy off the field. Dude just has a good knack for finding the ball.

Malloy
10-03-2010, 06:16 PM
Nolan with double INTs, we have a ballhawk :)

TexansFanatic
10-03-2010, 06:16 PM
How was this guy not on the field from Day One?

I'm a Kubiak fan, but this just seemed like a no-brainer to me and a lot of other people.

Better late than never I suppose.

Jackie Chiles
10-03-2010, 06:17 PM
Was he in there as the FS or an extra DB? I know I saw Barber in there some as well. Hopefully this performance sets him up to be the guy for the rest of the season. Eugene shouldn't be a factor at all.

Rey
10-03-2010, 06:17 PM
I think people should temper the excitement. I have wanted him on the field too, but he's still essenttially a rookie.

I think hell be a beast but I also expect some mistakes a long the way.

Malloy
10-03-2010, 06:18 PM
I think people should temper the excitement. I have wanted him on the field too, but he's still essenttially a rookie.

If his mistakes include double INTs, then Im all for letting him make mistakes :)

eriadoc
10-03-2010, 06:19 PM

Better to endure mistakes from a guy with upside than watching mistakes from Wilson with no upside.

Rey
10-03-2010, 06:20 PM
Was he in there as the FS or an extra DB? I know I saw Barber in there some as well. Hopefully this performance sets him up to be the guy for the rest of the season. Eugene shouldn't be a factor at all.

They split time.

gtexan02
10-03-2010, 06:21 PM
I'm just excited to finally have a DB that can catch the ball

Rey
10-03-2010, 06:22 PM
Pretty much what I've said all along.

Mr. Texan
10-03-2010, 06:23 PM
see yuh eugene :kingkong:

Hervoyel
10-03-2010, 06:25 PM
Troy Nolan appears to be that guy with "it" (in this case "it" refers to that uncanny ability to be standing right where the ball decides to bounce) that we've been needing to pair with Pollard.

Pollard is of course another guy with "it" (in his case "it" is the uncanny ability to knock the piss out of somebody at just the right moment).

I'm pretty certain we've got our safeties. Yes, excitement should be tempered but consider this. They're only going to get better. Tomorrow morning Brian Cushing is going to report to work, and we're 3-1, and we apparently just found our ball hawk.

and AJ got some rest...

and Derrick Ward appears to be a nice fit in this offense

and Slaton seems to be finally settling down and looking like his old self.

This is a good way to end Cushing's suspension. We need to be thinking 4-1 now. It's time to go beat the snot out of baby jugghead.

Fox
10-03-2010, 06:26 PM
Making the most out of an opportunity like that is how a 7th rounder earns a starting job.

TimeKiller
10-03-2010, 06:29 PM
Hard to not notice 2 picks....from a pickless defense....

beerlover
10-03-2010, 06:29 PM
Troy Nolan appears to be that guy with "it" (in this case "it" refers to that uncanny ability to be standing right where the ball decides to bounce) that we've been needing to pair with Pollard.

Pollard is of course another guy with "it" (in his case "it" is the uncanny ability to knock the piss out of somebody at just the right moment).

I'm pretty certain we've got our safeties. Yes, excitement should be tempered but consider this. They're only going to get better. Tomorrow morning Brian Cushing is going to report to work, and we're 3-1, and we apparently just found our ball hawk.

and AJ got some rest...

and Derrick Ward appears to be a nice fit in this offense

and Slaton seems to be finally settling down and looking like his old self.

This is a good way to end Cushing's suspension. We need to be thinking 4-1 now. It's time to go beat the snot out of baby jugghead.

I agree with everything you said, this is almost a best case scenero going into the Giants game, not that I'm looking for anyone to get hurt but da bears are a physical team, so we'll see how they come out of that one.

rmartin65
10-03-2010, 06:30 PM
Too early to admit I was wrong, but damn, 2 picks!

Jackie Chiles
10-03-2010, 06:33 PM
Too early to admit I was wrong, but damn, 2 picks!

What was your assessment? Not calling you out, I'm honestly curious. Were you down on the draft pick or down on his play?

hradhak
10-03-2010, 06:34 PM
I don't know how many tipped passes we create (or the opponents receivers create) but it's really big to have someone who can pick those off. Nolan will get burned a few times, but hell Eugene Wilson got burned all the time. I'd rather get burned with a chance for a pick than get burned with no chance of a turnover

jaayteetx
10-03-2010, 06:37 PM
If he was in there last week maybe he catches that pass Eugene dropped and its a whole new ballgame, oh well, I'll take 3-1 and move on.

BullsOnParade
10-03-2010, 06:38 PM
Dude, are you kidding me? Eugene is better than Nolan. Those two INT's were a by product of playing the Raiders. Troy has no field awareness. I look for Eugene to get the nod against the Giants!

Ok, I kid...

fiasco west
10-03-2010, 06:42 PM
If he was in there last week maybe he catches that pass Eugene dropped and its a whole new ballgame, oh well, I'll take 3-1 and move on.

Yeah maybe...Eugene drops a INT every game, or at least every other game it seems.

If there is one thing Nolan has proved is that he can catch those tipped passes and that can make a HUGE difference. I sure hope Nolan gets the start nest week.

Mr teX
10-03-2010, 06:42 PM

rep your way....edit, someone get him for me..

BIG TORO
10-03-2010, 06:44 PM
I was going to start a thread on Nolan, Obviously I was a little late, but Damn! Troy nolan looked good today I was happy to see him on the field and he performed exactly like I thought he would. He seemed to be at the right spot at the right time, I am a Nolan supporter.

hradhak
10-03-2010, 06:47 PM
I don't think you should keep Nolan out just because of the experience issue and the fear of getting burned. I can't imagine that in coverage he is any worse than Wilson. Let him get out there and learn like Kareem Jackson is doing.

BTW, KJ looked very good out there today. The Raider receivers only had 4 catches today.

BIG TORO
10-03-2010, 06:53 PM
I don't think you should keep Nolan out just because of the experience issue and the fear of getting burned. I can't imagine that in coverage he is any worse than Wilson. Let him get out there and learn like Kareem Jackson is doing.

BTW, KJ looked very good out there today. The Raider receivers only had 4 catches today.

Yea he did, when they would pan to him you could see he was covering his man pretty good!

BigBull17
10-03-2010, 06:59 PM
Receivers didn't do anything till the 4th quarter. Good coverage game.

Big Lou
10-03-2010, 07:03 PM
Nolan with double INTs, we have a ballhawk :)

BALLHAWK!!!!

Maybe a little soon to call, but I'm going with it for now.

thunderkyss
10-03-2010, 07:35 PM
It's interesting how Kubiak gets criticized for starting a veteran FS with a 7th rounder who's shown flashes on the bench.

At the same time, he's criticized for starting a 1st round pick, with no veteran presence at the position.

It makes sense to me, to have veteran safeties to back up inexperienced corners.

And yes, I was wrong to believe Eugene Wilson would make it through September before getting injured.

DexmanC
10-03-2010, 07:38 PM
, KJ looked very good out there today. The Raider receivers only had 4 catches today.

KJ had a nice game, but the DB's were in zone the entire game, and the
tightend had a huge day. McFadden was killing the defense with screens.

The numbers may look nice, but that's because everything else was wide
open. Hopefully, having Cushing back there will allow this defense to actually
start ATTACKING the offense.

rmartin65
10-03-2010, 07:38 PM
What was your assessment? Not calling you out, I'm honestly curious. Were you down on the draft pick or down on his play?

I thought his interceptions (and subsequent returns) in college were a result of being more lucky than good. I still hold my doubts (because I was not able to see the game, and therefore am relying on peoples' opinions), but 2 picks, albeit off tips, is nothing to sneeze at at the NFL level.

ATXtexanfan
10-03-2010, 07:40 PM
let the kid play

Ryan
10-03-2010, 07:43 PM
Dude, are you kidding me? Eugene is better than Nolan. Those two INT's were a by product of playing the Raiders. Troy has no field awareness. I look for Eugene to get the nod against the Giants!

Ok, I kid...

I was about to give the most epic :wadepalm: of all, but didn't catch the jk part till after i quoted you.

Señor Stan
10-03-2010, 07:45 PM
I but 2 picks, albeit off tips, is nothing to sneeze at at the NFL level.

Sincerely,

Dunta Robinson

cland
10-03-2010, 07:54 PM
The football loves Troy Nolan....

I honestly don't know how he played his position and assignments (haven't rewatched), but much like Cushing's 4 interceptions last year, I seem to have found that the Football Gods seem to prefer certain players.

I remember watching his college draft film a year and some time ago, and I kept noticing all the pick 6's he had in college, it really was a ridiciculous numbers.

Until I see something different this guy looks like a playmaker. Let him get out there for a whole game, cause neither Wilson or Barber are doing much.

gary
10-03-2010, 07:58 PM
I just feel Nolan and Barber should continue to split time because Wilson has seen his better days for sure. Time for some new blood.

Ryan
10-03-2010, 08:02 PM
:wadepalm: for a repeat thread with nearly the exact same title as a thread right next to this.

cland
10-03-2010, 08:04 PM
I know I missed it, need a merge.

The Pencil Neck
10-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Prior to the game, I said that Barber and Nolan were going to split time and as soon as Nolan hit the field, the job was his.

Damn but we're going to have a young secondary.

Brisco_County
10-03-2010, 08:15 PM
let the kid play

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! LET THE BOY PLAY FREE SAFETY! (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7ms63_saturday-night-live-the-herlihy-boy_fun)

TheRealJoker
10-03-2010, 09:24 PM
This defense is gonna turnaround for the better starting 10/10/10. We have a ballhawk and will now "RELEASE THE CUSH!!!"

edo783
10-03-2010, 09:31 PM
Perhaps you folks need to think like a coach might. You have a 1st round rookie playing at one of the most critical levels of the defense. Would you in anyway put a 7th round rookie into the next level of the defense behind him, when you had a veteran and a 3rd year guy available? Now, after a training camp, preseason and regular season experience he gets to get his feet wet after the other rook has some time on the pond. I STILL wouldn't chuck him out there full time. Ol Pay-me-A-TON and Reggie would be licking their collective lips to see that happen. Get the lad some game time, more classroom and practice and MAYBE after about game 9-10 (remember, he is a 7th round pick and will need TRAINING), then see if he can hold up. To put that much inexperience into one defense would be inviting disaster. And yes, I know Wilson has been less than stellar and Barber only a bit better, but they will at least recognize what is going on. Now, having said all of that, Nolan looks VERY promising and may be just we have been looking for at FS, just not yet full time.

jshabang
10-03-2010, 09:33 PM
Is this even a discussion.....kubiak is nuts not to play this kid......makes no sense at all.....

Like i said in the other thread...he's a ballhawk...plain and simple....and u cant teach that.......you either are one or you are not one...period..........

dbruder44
10-03-2010, 09:34 PM
Perhaps you folks need to think like a coach might. You have a 1st round rookie playing at one of the most critical levels of the defense. Would you in anyway put a 7th round rookie into the next level of the defense behind him, when you had a veteran and a 3rd year guy available? Now, after a training camp, preseason and regular season experience he gets to get his feet wet after the other rook has some time on the pond. I STILL wouldn't chuck him out there full time. Ol Pay-me-A-TON and Reggie would be licking their collective lips to see that happen. Get the lad some game time, more classroom and practice and MAYBE after about game 9-10 (remember, he is a 7th round pick and will need TRAINING), then see if he can hold up. To put that much inexperience into one defense would be inviting disaster. And yes, I know Wilson has been less than stellar and Barber only a bit better, but they will at least recognize what is going on. Now, having said all of that, Nolan looks VERY promising and may be just we have been looking for at FS, just not yet full time.

Ed Nolan is a 2yr player he was on IR last year

JB
10-03-2010, 09:49 PM

Yes, so basically he is a rookie, as in this is his first year to play.

gtexan02
10-03-2010, 09:51 PM
Was Pollard injured at the end of the game? Whats this Im hearing?

hradhak
10-03-2010, 09:54 PM
Was Pollard injured at the end of the game? Whats this Im hearing?

The second to last defensive play he came off the field holding his hand. Nothing official as to what the injury is, but I don't think it will keep him out for the next game.

edo783
10-03-2010, 09:56 PM

OK thanks for the update David, just knew it was his first year playing. It all still holds pretty much true though, but I would pull the full time marker in to say after the bye since he has the added camp and learning time. The idea of that much inexperience in our secondary at one time is more than a little scary with Payton and the other top level QBs.

Yankee_In_TX
10-03-2010, 10:08 PM
My boy Troy!!!!!!!!!!! I've been waiting for him to get in regular season. Who makes picks? 33. Who doesn't? 26.

Allstar
10-03-2010, 10:10 PM
I'm pretty sure Nolan is considered a rookie. Blake Griffin will be a rookie this year in the NBA...

dbruder44
10-03-2010, 10:18 PM
I'm pretty sure Nolan is considered a rookie. Blake Griffin will be a rookie this year in the NBA...

Sure from a playing perspective, but 2years of OTA's 2 preseasons and 8 months in between to focus on nothing but football helps. I went to ASU watched alot of Troy play 2 and 3 years ago, he is a magnet when the ball comes to him. Just glad he didn't try to take it to the house and fumble, like other safties have....

TheRealJoker
10-03-2010, 10:26 PM
Sure from a playing perspective, but 2years of OTA's 2 preseasons and 8 months in between to focus on nothing but football helps. I went to ASU watched alot of Troy play 2 and 3 years ago, he is a magnet when the ball comes to him. Just glad he didn't try to take it to the house and fumble, like other safties have....

Or veteran CB Nate Clements did today...

Allstar
10-03-2010, 10:29 PM

I just want to know if he's eligible for rookie awards and things like that, not trying to imply he's that good already, just want to know if he's officially a rookie.

dbruder44
10-03-2010, 10:30 PM
I just want to know if he's eligible for rookie awards and things like that, not trying to imply he's that good already, just want to know if he's officially a rookie.

my guess is no, but I am guessing

Corrosion
10-03-2010, 10:32 PM
He's an improvement over Wilson .... But the two INT's today were off of tipped balls , he was in the right place at the right time. Hard to give him too much credit for those .... but again , I prefer him over both Wilson and Barber.

GuerillaBlack
10-03-2010, 11:09 PM
He's an improvement over Wilson .... But the two INT's today were off of tipped balls , he was in the right place at the right time. Hard to give him too much credit for those .... but again , I prefer him over both Wilson and Barber.

Give the guy credit! With as many tipped balls there are in games that don't get caught, the fact that Nolan caught two in his first NFL regular season action is pretty good I think.

Corrosion
10-03-2010, 11:15 PM
Give the guy credit! With as many tipped balls there are in games that don't get caught, the fact that Nolan caught two in his first NFL regular season action is pretty good I think.

Im not taking anything away from him , dont get me wrong. Just pointing out that other than being in the right place at the right time he didnt do anything to create those turnovers - I believe it was Diles who tipped the first one and the reciever the second.

And being in the right place at the right time is part of the job description of the FS .... again , I much prefer Nolan to the laternatives.

I'd really like to see a statistic that gave the WR some accountability for an INT rather than the QB getting all the blame , there are so many times where the WR is the cause of an INT ....

Along those lines , OD saved Schaub from one today.

JB
10-03-2010, 11:19 PM
Im not taking anything away from him , dont get me wrong. Just pointing out that other than being in the right place at the right time he didnt do anything to create those turnovers - I believe it was Diles who tipped the first one and the reciever the second.

And being in the right place at the right time is part of the job description of the FS .... again , I much prefer Nolan to the laternatives.

I'd really like to see a statistic that gave the WR some accountability for an INT rather than the QB getting all the blame , there are so many times where the WR is the cause of an INT ....

As did Walter.

beerlover
10-03-2010, 11:19 PM

bottom line - Nolan is a ballhawk

10-03-2010, 11:37 PM
Troy is currently what seems to be the best player we have at the position... so I think he deserves the bulk of the PT.

TheMatrix31
10-03-2010, 11:57 PM
Regardless of how you want to classify it, its nice to have a safety that holds onto the ball when its in his hands at any point.

The Pencil Neck
10-04-2010, 12:03 AM
My definition of a "ball hawk" is a guy that goes out there and has those tipped balls bounce his way as well as reading the QB's eyes and jumping on routes. The thing about Troy is that he gets into the right positions to get those balls and when he gets the chance, he usually catches them.

I mean, Eugene has had a couple of those balls bounce off his hands this year. Troy in those same positions has those picks.

Troy may not win the starting spot because he may not be as consistent and as experienced as Eugene Wilson but he should be getting PT.

Allstar
10-04-2010, 12:57 AM
For those of you saying he was just in the right place at the right time, do you think it's a coicidence that he was making interceptions in the preseason as well?

El Tejano
10-04-2010, 07:25 AM
I don't think it was a coincidence because he can actually catch the ball.

HTown2ATX
10-04-2010, 07:28 AM
Was really glad to see him start.

TimeKiller
10-04-2010, 07:42 AM
If it's only tipped balls...

....then why is Nolan the only one that can come down with one?

HJam72
10-04-2010, 07:45 AM
There's something to be said for being in the right place at the right time and taking advantage of it.

Blake
10-04-2010, 08:00 AM

Agreed. But the talking heads sure gave Jarius Byrd a shit-ton of credit last year durring the DROY voting off all those tip interceptions.

At the very least he had the awareness to see the tipped ball and make a play on it.

On the 2nd one it looked like Zack Miller might have come away with the catch had Nolan not gotten his mits on it.

NitroGSXR
10-04-2010, 08:04 AM
Troy Nolan would like to thank Louis Murphy. Both tipped passes came off Murphy. He has struggled to catch the ball when playing Houston these past two seasons.

hradhak
10-04-2010, 08:15 AM
You need every advantage you can get. Wilson just doesn't have the ability to come away with the football. That means the drive continues and you could get burned on the next play. Whatever deficiencies Nolan has at FS he can probably get better with some playing time. I say throw him out in the fire with the KJ

thunderkyss
10-04-2010, 08:54 AM
I believe it was Diles who tipped the first one and the reciever the second.

It was Adibi, other than that sack & pressure on the QB, Diles was pitiful in pass defense. He kept breaking to the play side, and letting the TE run free. The one time I do remember him breaking with the tightend, he was late.

I still remember back to the Saints PreSeason game, when our LBs wouldn't move for almost a full second after the ball was snapped. I want to believe that was us trying to chip away at our propensity to attack the run.

This has been a big problem for us for a long time. They (because DeMeco & Adibi are just as bad) need to get better at recognizing plays, down & distance, passing/running situations.... etc

disaacks3
10-04-2010, 08:58 AM
Heck, even McClain was on 610 singing Nolan's praises saying he needs to start!

JB
10-04-2010, 09:09 AM
Was really glad to see him start.

Barber started the game, not Nolan.

drs23
10-04-2010, 09:11 AM
I was about to give the most epic :wadepalm: of all, but didn't catch the jk part till after i quoted you.

You too, huh? :D

jaayteetx
10-04-2010, 09:20 AM
If it's only tipped balls...

....then why is Nolan the only one that can come down with one?

Ya, Eugene Wilson sure couldn't last week.

The Pencil Neck
10-04-2010, 11:07 AM
Heck, even McClain was on 610 singing Nolan's praises saying he needs to start!

Oh.

Crap.

Maybe I need to rethink my position on this.

michaelm
10-04-2010, 11:20 AM

errr, Troy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ole Miss Texan
10-04-2010, 11:28 AM
I've been a big fan of Troy Nolan and have been hoping he comes around into being an answer for us at that spot. While many people on here are quick to rush these type of players into the starting lineup, I'm a lot more hesitant. I am so so glad he got a lot of snaps yesterday and I hope that continues. I'm more of thinking of "easing" him into that role than flat out giving it to him. He needs to first show in practice that he's capable of defensive adjustments and an all the x's and o's (consistently) before he gets the starting nod. Getting him plenty of reps is one way to do that vs. throwing him into the fire (which sometimes I am a fan of too). If Kubes/Bush/Gibbs think he's ready to go againt the Giants, and the rest of the season... I will be thrilled. But if they don't make him the starter immediately it's not going to hurt my feelings.

Nolan and Pollard sure could be a nasty nasty Safety duo!!!!

beerlover
10-04-2010, 11:32 AM
I've been a big fan of Troy Nolan and have been hoping he comes around into being an answer for us at that spot. While many people on here are quick to rush these type of players into the starting lineup, I'm a lot more hesitant. I am so so glad he got a lot of snaps yesterday and I hope that continues. I'm more of thinking of "easing" him into that role than flat out giving it to him. He needs to first show in practice that he's capable of defensive adjustments and an all the x's and o's (consistently) before he gets the starting nod. Getting him plenty of reps is one way to do that vs. throwing him into the fire (which sometimes I am a fan of too). If Kubes/Bush/Gibbs think he's ready to go againt the Giants, and the rest of the season... I will be thrilled. But if they don't make him the starter immediately it's not going to hurt my feelings.

Texans rotate other positions like RB/OL/DT to keep players fresh see no reason why they don't use him at least in 3rd down situations regardless of reps which would accomplish about the same thing.

Ole Miss Texan
10-04-2010, 11:33 AM
There's something to be said for being in the right place at the right time and taking advantage of it.

Agreed. But the talking heads sure gave Jarius Byrd a shit-ton of credit last year durring the DROY voting off all those tip interceptions.

At the very least he had the awareness to see the tipped ball and make a play on it.

On the 2nd one it looked like Zack Miller might have come away with the catch had Nolan not gotten his mits on it.

Agreed. Sometimes a player can be out of position and just get lucky by a pass thrown to him, or one deflected out to him. In the case of Nolan yesterday, it looked to me that he was exactly where he needed to be as a safety - tipped balls are a part of the game, and the teams that can capitalize on them are teams that can win.

Ole Miss Texan
10-04-2010, 11:40 AM
Texans rotate other positions like RB/OL/DT to keep players fresh see no reason why they don't use him at least in 3rd down situations regardless of reps which would accomplish about the same thing.

That's a really good idea. I'll be willing to bet that's what they end up doing.

BigBull17
10-04-2010, 12:00 PM
I just feel Nolan and Barber should continue to split time because Wilson has seen his better days for sure. Time for some new blood.

I agree.

OzzO
10-04-2010, 12:46 PM
When free safety Eugene Wilson suffered a hamstring injury in the loss to Dallas on Sept. 26, Dominique Barber replaced him as the starter against Oakland on Sunday.

Barber, a three-year veteran with a lot of playing time, is more suited for strong safety but knows both positions. Texans coach Gary Kubiak said he wanted to get some playing time for Troy Nolan at free safety, but wasn't sure how much considering Nolan's lack of experience.

After Nolan intercepted two passes in Sunday's 31-24 victory over the Raiders, Kubiak plans to find him more playing time.

"It feels good to know he (Kubiak) feels that way," Nolan said. "It means all that hard work I'm putting in is paying off."

Nolan (6-2, 206) ignited a defensive performance that included four sacks - two by defensive end Antonio Smith - and three turnovers.

"He took full advantage of his opportunity, and that's what this league's all about," strong safety Bernard Pollard said.

Nolan's interceptions couldn't have come at a better time.

"When the ball's in the air, it always seems to come to Troy," linebacker DeMeco Ryans said. "Even in practice, he's got a knack for getting the ball."....

chronic 10.4.10 (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7230309.html)

TexCanada
10-04-2010, 01:11 PM
If Pollard is going to miss any time with his injury then Nolan and Barber will both be starting. That is a bit scary.

b0ng
10-04-2010, 01:38 PM
chronic 10.4.10 (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7230309.html)

Goddamnit make him the ****ing starter Kubiak. THE ANSWER IS STARING YOU DIRECTLY IN THE FACE WHEN YOU WATCH GAME FILM FROM PRESEASON AND SUNDAY!

Ole Miss Texan
10-04-2010, 01:57 PM
Obviously it's still too early to make any concrete statements. BUT if Nolan keeps up the good work and Dickerson can contribute, check our our 7th round picks!

2006 - David Anderson
2007 - Zac Diles
2008 - Alex Brink (flyer pick, missed)
2009 - Troy Nolan
2010 - Dorin Dickerson

Anderson and Diles have very defined roles on this team and are huge contributors. The backup QB pick was a flyer that didn't work out. Could Nolan be for the Safety position what Diles is at LB!?!? Now we just need Dickerson to keep watching how AJ does his thing.

Rey
10-04-2010, 03:25 PM

I really dislike this argument...

How many of Cushings INT's last season were NOT tipped balls????

One.

And the one he caught that wasn't tipped was in a must pass situation against the Bengals where he was in a deep zone.

If you look at the top INT guys around the league, most of their INT's com off of tipped balls. Very seldom do you have guys just jumping routes and catching picks. I'm not saying jumping routes and catching picks rarely happens, but normally if a guy has a lot of picks it's because he has caught several tipped balls.

Several factors go into that. Consistently being around the ball in good position is a key factor. A lot of the time these guys are in good position to make big hits or at least stop the receiver when/if he catches it.

If you are consistently in good position and around the ball then it makes sense that you'd be a player most often benefiting from tipped balls.

Another obvious factor is hands.

Troy has very good hands which he demonstrated on both of the picks.

The first pick he came from a distance and made a diving catch for the ball. If a receiver makes a diving catch for a ball it's a great feat...Same for a DB....

On the second INT, he had to make a reach back one handed corral to snag it.

I've seen way too many a Texan player drop INT's that have come right to them to complain about tipped INT's.

Rey
10-04-2010, 03:30 PM
Goddamnit make him the ****ing starter Kubiak. THE ANSWER IS STARING YOU DIRECTLY IN THE FACE WHEN YOU WATCH GAME FILM FROM PRESEASON AND SUNDAY!

This is why I said to temper the excitement about Nolan on page 1.

I kind of understand Kubes not just thrusting him into the starters role but rather easing him into more playing time and making him earn his play.

He's going to really make Nolan earn his position as a starter. To earn his position he is going to have to prove that he can do what he did on a consistent basis while at the same time proving that he's not going to make too many mistakes that are going to cost us big.

Rey
10-04-2010, 03:38 PM
Kubiak press conference on now

NitroGSXR
10-04-2010, 03:46 PM

Nasty? C'mon now... Gradkowski had almost 300 yards in the air. Let's be honest... they're swiss cheese. If anybody patches it up, it'd be Cushing.

We need more turnovers. Yesterday was a great start but we still need more!

thunderkyss
10-04-2010, 05:26 PM
This is why I said to temper the excitement about Nolan on page 1.

I kind of understand Kubes not just thrusting him into the starters role but rather easing him into more playing time and making him earn his play.

He's going to really make Nolan earn his position as a starter. To earn his position he is going to have to prove that he can do what he did on a consistent basis while at the same time proving that he's not going to make too many mistakes that are going to cost us big.

I totally agree with this. I like Nolan, but he was a 7th rounder for a reason.

And, we rushed Barber & Busing into starting roles out of necessity. Didn't work out to well.

I understand every win is important & everybody is wanting to win now... But I think we'll be okay easing Nolan into the starting lineup. We're already young in the secondary, we are already short on playmakers, but let's not rush into anymore decisions we don't have to.

gary
10-04-2010, 05:53 PM
Gary has a chance to start the hot hand just like Reid has now done by starting Vick. The way I view the INT by Nolan is yhea, the football was tipped but not everyone gets the chance for an INT and takes advantage of that chance. Even if the football was tipped Nolan still has to have the eyes and awareness to locate the football and make a play on it. The one thing to remember is the just one week prior against Romo and the Cowboys Wilson had the exact same chance as Nolan but he did not catch the footballl if you recall. That might have been turning point in the game. If the truth is that Troy has better skill and alertness over an aged vet who is past his good stage then Gary should follow in the football of coach Andy Reid. Kudos to Troy Nolan on a great heads up play on the football. Good luck to Troy Nolan he seems hungry for a chance I hope he continues to play very well.

Rey
10-05-2010, 06:22 PM
Nolan is in 2nd place for INT's

Wolf6151
10-05-2010, 11:51 PM
The problem is that Kubiak prefers crappy veterans with experience over skilled rookies with potential. Kubiak doesn't like rookies because they might make rookie mistakes but totally ignores the mistakes made by veterans.

infantrycak
10-06-2010, 12:07 AM
The problem is that Kubiak prefers crappy veterans with experience over skilled rookies with potential. Kubiak doesn't like rookies because they might make rookie mistakes but totally ignores the mistakes made by veterans.

Where does this assertion come from other than as a made up reason to criticize Kubiak because folks want the latest fan favorite rookie to start?

Started as rookies:

Williams
DeMeco
Spencer
Winston
Daniels
Lundy
Okoye
Bennett
Brown
Slaton
Cushing
Caldwell
Quinn
Jackson

That's just folks who started as rookies much less others who received substantial playing time like McCain.

pbat488
10-06-2010, 12:19 AM
Nasty? C'mon now... Gradkowski had almost 300 yards in the air. Let's be honest... they're swiss cheese. If anybody patches it up, it'd be Cushing.

We need more turnovers. Yesterday was a great start but we still need more!

We all knew when we picked him up and throughout the past (well, that was his 16th game with us) two seasons that Pollard is not a great coverage safety. We sacrifice his coverage abilities for his mentality and physical toughness. Just putting Gradkowski's yardage out there doesn't mean they won't be a good safety tandem.

Most of the yards came on short throws that became long gainers; a couple being screens to McFadden and also most of Miller's receptions. I can only remember that long seam route to Miller in the 3rd or 4th where Gradkowski had a perfect throw as the only completion over 20 yards in the air; all the others were dropped by the Raider's "receiving" corps.

There's also the fact that we had their run game shut down in the 2nd half, albeit largely due in part to McFadden going out injured, as well as a large lead that necessitated the Raiders to throw the ball.

Now I'm not claiming they're going to be great, but just saying that because Gradkowski got 300 yards passing without Cushing and with Nolan not even playing the whole game due to splitting time with Barber, it's kind of hard to say they don't have a chance to be good just because of those facts. I for one am excited about the future with these two as the return of the Cush will only open up more options for turnovers in the future.

Either way we see it..

GO TEXANS!!!

:texflag:

Texan_Touchdown
10-06-2010, 01:33 AM
Wolf you just got proved wrong bad man. Best advice in my opinion is just think before you type, a biased opinion that has no factual relevance.

Kubiak is a great coach. If you think otherwise, that's your opinion. But you better get used to the guy, because he's not going anywhere.

Rey
10-06-2010, 04:29 PM

I just think Kubiak kind of plays it by ear.

He has pretty much stated that his philosophy is to have 1st round picks come in and start from day one. I don't know if that is because the talent on the team has been lacking, or if he just feels that 1st rd picks should start no matter what.

It'll be interesting to see what happens next year if all of our starters remain solid and healthy and if Nolan or Barber can solidify the FS spot.

Rey
10-06-2010, 04:35 PM
Where does this assertion come from other than as a made up reason to criticize Kubiak because folks want the latest fan favorite rookie to start?

Started as rookies:

Williams
DeMeco
Spencer
Winston
Daniels
Lundy
Okoye
Bennett
Brown
Slaton
Cushing
Caldwell
Quinn
Jackson

That's just folks who started as rookies much less others who received substantial playing time like McCain.

A lot of those guys started because they were 1st rd. picks. Kubiak has stated that he wants 1st rd. picks to come in and start. The 1st rd. picks were anointed starters before even going through 1 day of camp.

Several of the others are actually prime examples of what has happened with Nolan. They were second string until the vets in front of them got hurt or completely sucked.

I don't agree that Kubiak refuses to play rookies that have flashed talent, but he does tend to give the benefit of the doubt to vets.

TimeKiller
10-06-2010, 04:39 PM
I don't think Kubiak will outright give a job on one game and an injury to Nolan so I'm sure we'll see Wilson, at least in a rotation but I'm doubting the bulk of the snaps goes anywhere but Nolan.

Rey
10-06-2010, 04:51 PM
The list of current NFL players who have passed through the College of the Canyons isn't extensive, yet athletic director and former football coach Chuck Lyon admits he hasn't kept up with everyone.

So it was odd when Lyon laughed Monday after being informed Troy Nolan, the starting strong safety on his 2004 team that won a national championship, intercepted a pair of passes Sunday in his first extensive action with the Texans.

"He's amazing," Lyon said. "He has such amazing instincts — I think it's God-given. I'd like to say it was my coaching, but I know that's not the case."

Nolan's patience might be equally impressive.

The trek from El Camino Real High School in Woodland Hills, Calif., to second-year NFL free safety - based on remarks uttered Monday by Texans coach Gary Kubiak, "starting free safety" might soon be more accurate – has been not only arduous but somewhat repetitive.

Nolan wasn't highly regarded initially at College of the Canyons, at Arizona State (where he finished his college career) or with the Texans, who selected him 223rd overall in the 2009 draft. But once on the field, he has refused to relinquish his spot.

"Troy (Nolan) is going to get a lot more playing time," Kubiak said. "Obviously, with what he did (in Sunday's 31-14 victory over the Raiders), Troy deserves some more reps, and he'll get them."

In transitions from junior college to the Football Bowl Subdivision and then from the Pac-10 to the AFC, Nolan had a year to size up the challenge ahead, a period of acclimation. He redshirted at ASU in 2006 after suffering quad and knee injuries. Last season, a broken arm in the first preseason game ended his rookie year.

The approach in both cases was the same.

"I watched a lot of film, how the veterans studied and how they trained," Nolan said. "I started to incorporate all of that, because you can't rely on those instincts. "

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7233567.html

Jackie Chiles
10-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Nice article about Nolan, I really wish they could write more like that. I love getting some insight/stories from former coaches. When we drafted Earl Mitchell I recall McClain mentioning his HS coach at North Shore gushing about his athleticism, I thought that was taylor made for an article or at least a blog entry.

infantrycak
10-06-2010, 05:11 PM
I don't agree that Kubiak refuses to play rookies that have flashed talent, but he does tend to give the benefit of the doubt to vets.

Listen to the 2nd year players. They virtually universally say they feel more comfortable coming into the 2nd year because they aren't trying to learn the system/playbook so can really concentrate on technique and instinct. You would hope most of your rookies aren't starting most years, That's the sign of a desperately rebuilding team.

But more to the point if someone is going to make a statement like wolf's then they should back it up with specific examples of rookies who should have started their rookie year over a specific vet.

ObsiWan
10-06-2010, 05:15 PM
A lot of those guys started because they were 1st rd. picks. Kubiak has stated that he wants 1st rd. picks to come in and start. The 1st rd. picks were anointed starters before even going through 1 day of camp.

Several of the others are actually prime examples of what has happened with Nolan. They were second string until the vets in front of them got hurt or completely sucked.

Only five were actually 1st round picks. And if you count starting as a punt returner, J.J. goes on the list too.

Started as rookies:

Williams
DeMeco
Spencer
Winston
Daniels
Lundy
Okoye
Bennett
Brown
Slaton
Cushing
Caldwell
Quinn
Jackson

CretorFrigg
10-06-2010, 06:15 PM
Listen to the 2nd year players. They virtually universally say they feel more comfortable coming into the 2nd year because they aren't trying to learn the system/playbook so can really concentrate on technique and instinct. You would hope most of your rookies aren't starting most years, That's the sign of a desperately rebuilding team.

Agreed. We would've been a lot better off if Kareem Jackson began his rookie season with a diminished role as a nickelback.

Unfortunately, we were forced into starting KJ.

Rey
10-06-2010, 06:16 PM
Agreed. We would've been a lot better off if Kareem Jackson began his rookie season with a diminished role as a nickelback.

Who would the starter have been?

CretorFrigg
10-06-2010, 06:18 PM
Who would the starter have been?

Oh, no. I'm not saying we should've started anyone else because we shouldn't. KJ is the best option we have right now.

We were just in a bad situation.

Rey
10-06-2010, 06:21 PM
Oh, no. I'm not saying we should've started anyone else because we shouldn't. KJ is the best option we have right now.

We were just in a bad situation.

Gotcha.

I too would have liked to be in a situation where Jackson could have come in and not been a starter.

Hopefully next year or the year after our first rd. picks won't be asked to do as much because the talent on the team will already be solid.

jaayteetx
10-09-2010, 08:29 AM
Looks like Eugene "stone hands" Wilson is getting the start Sunday...yay
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7238136.html

dbruder44
10-09-2010, 08:36 AM

Kubiak also said that Troy Nolan will get a ton of snaps, maybe this will make Wilson perform better who knows?????

Imatexanfan
10-09-2010, 08:46 AM
I have redzone and can't watch the Texans game cuz I stay in Kentucky, so I haven't really seen Nolan play but this past game. I think he should've been on the field from the get go, the fact that he wasn't questions the DC Coordinator at not evaluating the players like he is supposed to but good job at not letting him go and congrads Nolan you deserve it...

JB
10-09-2010, 08:51 AM
:wadepalm:

gary
10-09-2010, 10:08 AM
If Nolan is not going to get his chance this season, then when? I think he should.

silvrhand
10-09-2010, 10:26 AM

Unfortunately, we were forced into starting KJ.

If we didn't need one so bad I doubt you would spend a first round pick on it, I'm sorry but most first round picks are a desperate need for the team and should be expected to be starting by their rookie season.

You just don't figure it out till you can get in the game.

The Pencil Neck
10-09-2010, 11:00 AM
If Nolan is not going to get his chance this season, then when? I think he should.

I'm pretty sure he'll start this season.

But remember that he's essentially a rookie. He lacks experience and he's liable to make mental mistakes that Wilson shouldn't make.

But I expect him to be starting for us in a game or two.

beerlover
10-09-2010, 11:46 AM
Wilson is likely to start because NFL coaches tend to believe players shouldn’t lose jobs because of injuries.

Asked whether Wilson or Troy Nolan, who made the Texans’ first two interceptions of the season off deflections in Oakland, would start, Kubiak said: “It doesn’t matter. They’re both going to play".

easing Troy in seems to be the smart thing to do if Eugene can avoid hurting himself again.

jshabang
10-09-2010, 12:03 PM
I'm pretty sure he'll start this season.

But remember that he's essentially a rookie. He lacks experience and he's liable to make mental mistakes that Wilson shouldn't make.

But I expect him to be starting for us in a game or two.

this is the point right here......wilson the vet who shouldnt make mental mistakes....is making those mental mistakes ans playing like doo doo.....he clearly has stepped backwards and is playing like a "rookie" himself

so why not let the 2nd year rookie start....he cant do any worse....i mean he can make the same mental mistakes wilson is makin except hes a ballhawk whos always around the ball and can get a pick or 2 here and there....im just sayin

The Pencil Neck
10-09-2010, 12:52 PM
this is the point right here......wilson the vet who shouldnt make mental mistakes....is making those mental mistakes ans playing like doo doo.....he clearly has stepped backwards and is playing like a "rookie" himself

so why not let the 2nd year rookie start....he cant do any worse....i mean he can make the same mental mistakes wilson is makin except hes a ballhawk whos always around the ball and can get a pick or 2 here and there....im just sayin

From what Kubiak said, who starts doesn't matter that much because they're both going to get plenty of snaps.

I really think that this is just a transitional thing. Kubiak has a lot of respect for his vets but also Kubiak, Bush, and Gibbs see things on tape that we don't see: busted assignments and things. They may want to use last week and this week to get more film on Nolan in game situations to coach him up on certain things before naming him teh starter.

I expect the job to be Nolan's to lose and I said that before last week's game.

gary
10-09-2010, 01:31 PM
Troy will probably start at some point this season and I am ok with that.

Rey
10-09-2010, 01:42 PM
I would not be surprised to see Nolan start this game...

I also wouldn't be surprised if Wilson starts but Nolan takes a majority of the snaps...

hot pickle
10-09-2010, 03:48 PM
Only five were actually 1st round picks. And if you count starting as a punt returner, J.J. goes on the list too.

Started as rookies:

Williams
DeMeco
Spencer
Winston
Daniels
Lundy
Okoye
Bennett
Brown
Slaton
Cushing
Caldwell
Quinn
Jackson

now thats a name i totally forgot about lol

thunderkyss
10-09-2010, 05:05 PM
I would not be surprised to see Nolan start this game...

I also wouldn't be surprised if Wilson starts but Nolan takes a majority of the snaps...

I think who starts isn't a big thing. I would bet Nolan will get the majority of the snaps, & that's all that really matters.

Eventually, he'll be the only FS on the field. It's just a matter of time.

b0ng
10-09-2010, 09:05 PM

Just going to quote dis.

Texans34Life
10-09-2010, 10:11 PM

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Texans | Will not say who will start at FS Week 5
Sat, 09 Oct 2010 10:02:43 -0700

Houston Texans head coach Gary Kubiak would not say if SS Troy Nolan or FS Eugene Wilson will start at free safety in Week 5 but did say both will see playing time during the game, reports Nick Scurfield, of HoustonTexans.com.

Rey
10-09-2010, 10:16 PM
http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Texans | Will not say who will start at FS Week 5
Sat, 09 Oct 2010 10:02:43 -0700

Houston Texans head coach Gary Kubiak would not say if SS Troy Nolan or FS Eugene Wilson will start at free safety in Week 5 but did say both will see playing time during the game, reports Nick Scurfield, of HoustonTexans.com.

This is why I said I wouldn't be surprised if Nolan starts...

I haven't seen anything from Kubiak saying Wilson would get the nod...

Makes me think that he will either start Wilson, but Troy will get the majority of the snaps...Or he will start just start Nolan...

Maybe he is planning on starting Troy, but doesn't want to give the Giants any insight so they can't plan on calling some early plays to test the young FS...

Allstar
10-10-2010, 11:25 AM
Hot off the presses, here are inactives and lineup changes for the Texans’ Week 5 game against the New York Giants at Reliant Stadium. Kickoff is at noon CT.

Texans inactives
9 QB Matt Leinart (third quarterback)
12 WR Jacoby Jones
24 CB Karl Paymah
53 LB David Nixon
57 LB Kevin Bentley
64 G Kasey Studdard
88 TE Garrett Graham
96 DE Mark Anderson

Texans starting lineup changes
Troy Nolan will start at free safety for Eugene Wilson. David Anderson will return punts for Jones.

Giants inactives
29 DB D.J. Johnson
39 FB Madison Hedgecock
53 LB Keith Bulluck
55 LB Phillip Dillard
60 C Shaun O’Hara
65 T Will Beatty
80 WR Victor Cruz
94 DE Mathias Kiwanuka

Giants starting lineup changes
Bear Pascoe will start at fullback for Hedgecock. Clint Sintim will start at strongside linebacker for Bulluck.

http://blog.houstontexans.com/2010/10/10/texans-giants-inactives-lineup-changes/

cdollaz
10-10-2010, 01:27 PM
So much for Nolan being the savior. He has looked like crap today.

TexCanada
10-10-2010, 01:39 PM
So much for Nolan being the savior. He has looked like crap today.

Yup. He has worked his way back to the bench.

wagonhed
10-17-2010, 04:54 PM
Bump. Where was Nolan today? Are we already back to thinking Wilson is better??

wagonhed
10-17-2010, 04:55 PM
Oh, apparently he had 4 tackles, but every time I looked I saw Wilson in on D. Were the tackles on ST?

Rey
10-17-2010, 05:47 PM
Oh, apparently he had 4 tackles, but every time I looked I saw Wilson in on D. Were the tackles on ST?

I think he made some on special teams, but he made some on the regular defense as well...

Gotta give props where props are due, and Wilson did a good job staying with his man on that 4th down play late in the game.

TE came all the way across the formation and Wilson did not bite on the fake.

I don't know if Troy would have been that disciplined in that situation, but honestly I don't care.

FS by committee is fine with me as long as they are getting their job done.

gtexan02
10-17-2010, 07:53 PM
I think he made some on special teams, but he made some on the regular defense as well...

Gotta give props where props are due, and Wilson did a good job staying with his man on that 4th down play late in the game.

TE came all the way across the formation and Wilson did not bite on the fake.

I don't know if Troy would have been that disciplined in that situation, but honestly I don't care.

FS by committee is fine with me as long as they are getting their job done.

Giving up 3 TDs and almost a perfect passer rating to Matt freaking Cassel and Dwayen Bowe is not getting the job done. Our defense, all around, was horrible today

NitroGSXR
10-17-2010, 08:03 PM
I saw Nolan get pinned to the ground near Turk right after a punt. I think Vrabel was doing it. I was screaming because he had him pinned for several seconds. Would not let him get up at all. The ref was standing in front of them and Turk helplessly (gutless?) watched.

Is basically laying a Hulk Hogan style pin for several seconds legal?

wagonhed
10-17-2010, 08:32 PM
It seems like it's really easy to not notice bad FS play. I don't know enough to be able to say whether Nolan is better than Wilson or not, but I know that Wilson is only going downhill and we need a FS that makes a positive impact on our defense. Since we know Wilson isn't that FS, I want to see Nolan given a real shot.