El Tejano
10-03-2010, 04:40 PM
How come he's not getting touches?

hradhak
10-03-2010, 04:40 PM
Not just touches, he's not on the field. I dunno what's going on

gtexan02
10-03-2010, 04:43 PM
They showed him suited up. Why isn't he on the field? I hope kibosh isn't trying to save him or something

TheMatrix31
10-03-2010, 04:44 PM
Isn't there a game thread, lol.

ObsiWan
10-03-2010, 04:46 PM
Isn't there a game thread, lol.

yeah but that's for play-by-play discussion. This does deserve it's own thread.

I'd like to know myself.
:mcnugget:

TexansBlood
10-03-2010, 04:46 PM
Maybe he's hurt??

Ward and Slaton gettin all the carries so far.

El Tejano
10-03-2010, 04:50 PM
I heard it had something to do with "humbling" him because he's been getting cocky but that's not a credible source.

Big Lou
10-03-2010, 04:50 PM
i bet Kubes is benching him for a quarter or two for last wweks fumble.

Mr. Texan
10-03-2010, 04:51 PM
Foster must be getting disciplined for violating a team rule

Sorry about the delay in filing. The wireless in the Raiders' pressbox is the worst I've seen, and it's been going on and off. I apologize and will try to send as much as possible.

The score is 7-7. Arian Foster, the league's leading rusher, is on the bench. He's healthy, which means coach Gary Kubiak is disciplining him for an undisclosed violation of team rules. The Texans have given us no explanation and are telling us to ask Kubiak after the game.

Foster isn't hurt. He wasn't on the injury report. He practiced all week. At some point, he violated a rule, and Kubiak is putting his foot down.

That means the Texans are playing this game without Foster — so far because the team is giving us no explanation in the pressbox — Andre Johnson, Kevin Bentley, Darryl Sharpton, Brian Cushing and Duane Brown.

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/

Showtime100
10-03-2010, 04:51 PM
yeah but that's for play-by-play discussion. This does deserve it's own thread.

I'd like to know myself.
:mcnugget:

I'd like to know myself./ ANKLE

yeah but that's for play-by-play discussion./ And self indulgent fantasy owners. :D

Ryan
10-03-2010, 04:55 PM
If it was my guess, he might've missed curfew or something last night.

TexansFanatic
10-03-2010, 04:55 PM
Arian has been the first to admit that historically he's had a sense of entitlement and lack of discipline.

This kind of behavior may have reared its ugly head again. Experiencing some personal success can sometimes make some folks forget that they have to continue to work for it.

Just a guess.

Hardcore Texan
10-03-2010, 05:01 PM
Okay Kubiak, you made your point, now put Foster in the effin' GAME!!!!

Dishman
10-03-2010, 05:03 PM
My wife insists Foster was caught boinking one of the coaches wives. Si or no?

Dan B.
10-03-2010, 05:06 PM
I'd like to know myself./ ANKLE

yeah but that's for play-by-play discussion./ And self indulgent fantasy owners. :D

I'm wondering if I should target slaton or Ward. Both are FA's in my league.

gtexan02
10-03-2010, 05:09 PM
Kubiak is pissing me off. Punish him with laps or pushups or something. He better have dine something really really bad

dc_txtech
10-03-2010, 05:10 PM
Foster's back!

dc_txtech
10-03-2010, 05:11 PM
Kubiak is pissing me off. Punish him with laps or pushups or something. He better have dine something really really bad

Kubiak, you are so dumb, you are really dumb, for real.:kitten:

TheIronDuke
10-03-2010, 05:16 PM

Hide your kids, hide your wife.

dc_txtech
10-03-2010, 05:49 PM
74 yard touchdown! RUN AND TELL THAT, HOMEBOY!!!

IBleedTexans
10-03-2010, 05:50 PM
To tha house. ... Arian is really impressive!
Wow, really WOW!

powerfuldragon
10-03-2010, 05:52 PM
maybe they thought we didn't really need him against the raiders?

Lucky
10-03-2010, 06:37 PM
Arian has been the first to admit that historically he's had a sense of entitlement and lack of discipline.

When did Foster admit this?

If you're as good as Foster, maybe you deserve some entitlement.

BullNation4Life
10-03-2010, 07:17 PM

Wrong! Arian Foster has proven nothing yet but have a few good games. Let him put a couple of seasons together before entitling him with anything

NitroGSXR
10-03-2010, 07:23 PM

Entitlement in the NFL is cancerous. Its at its deadliest in the vicinity of locker rooms leaguewide.

Maddict5
10-03-2010, 07:25 PM
some guys on here have obviously never been on a team

Norg
10-03-2010, 07:26 PM
He was prob partying it up in da bay area !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scooter
10-03-2010, 07:29 PM
in kubiak's post-game he said that foster's had some disciplinary problems over the past couple weeks, but didnt say much more than that.

TexansFanatic
10-03-2010, 07:29 PM

In one of the massive flurry of articles and feature videos about him when he became a star after week one of this season.

One of the reasons he wasn't drafted was because he got a big head while at Tennessee and figured he had a first round grade wrapped up. Falling completely out of the draft was a major wake up call for him. But he still hadn't completely matured even after the Texans signed him as a UDFA. Kubiak was constantly on him, telling him he needed to grow up.

Finally, as Kubiak said, the light went on and he started acting like a professional. He used AJ as a role model and started practicing as if each practice were a live game.

Lucky
10-03-2010, 07:32 PM
Wrong! Arian Foster has proven nothing yet but have a few good games. Let him put a couple of seasons together before entitling him with anything
Gary Kubiak never got his team into the playoffs, but was "entitled" to a contract extension. Foster is the leading rusher in the NFL. I'm saying that he's pretty darn good.

I love that the Sunshine Club is so ready to throw Foster under the bus before they even find out what exactly he did or didn't do. That's fine, the Texans are undefeated when Arian Foster is "disciplined".

BullNation4Life
10-03-2010, 07:38 PM
Gary Kubiak never got his team into the playoffs, but was "entitled" to a contract extension. Foster is the leading rusher in the NFL. I'm saying that he's pretty darn good.

I love that the Sunshine Club is so ready to throw Foster under the bus before they even find out what exactly he did or didn't do. That's fine, the Texans are undefeated when Arian Foster is "disciplined".

Lol, Kubiak was not entitled to an extension, he was granted. Do even understand what entitlement means? Foster is doing well, but hasn't won any rushing title to entitle him to anything yet.

Who threw Foster under a bus? He broke a rule, was disciplined and went out and took it our on Da Raidas. End of story. Nobody is throwing Foster under any bus though

If anybody is getting thrown udder a bus, it's Kubiak for having control over his team, which is stupid

Scooter
10-03-2010, 07:41 PM

how are the two remotely connectable?

should we have given slaton a $100mil deal after his first season, especially if he turned into a diva by game 4? i'm not saying that's where foster's at, but the lax attitude is something that the coaching staff cant allow to happen. foster looks amazing and appears to be the real deal, but without that discipline he's as likely to fall off (as he's already done before) than succeed.

DerekLee1
10-03-2010, 07:45 PM
The cowboys and Bengals have some of the most talented rosters in the NFL. They're collectively 3-4 this season. The major reason for that is a total lack of discipline. Kubiak is keeping a firm hold on his head and helping his players grow into men and teammates, not locker room cancers like T.O. and Pacman Jones.

Kudos to him.

Hervoyel
10-03-2010, 07:47 PM
I think that there's more to this than simply reminding Foster of what he needs to do. I think the Texans took a shot at "featuring" Steve Slaton and Derrick Ward in the first half of this game and there may be valid reasons for doing it.

Ward seems a very nice fit here and Slaton looked to me to be getting a little more comfortable and a little closer to his old self. He had some serious acceleration at times and bounced that one run outside for good yardage.

If you're thinking of trading somebody like Steve Slaton you get him on recent film playing well if possible. Particularly if you have a guy like Ward who can do this stuff (or it might be the other way around). Backs are going down around the league. It might not be a bad idea to show a couple of ours off.

DownByContact
10-03-2010, 07:48 PM

Didn't realize kubiak got an extension his first year as coach...

Foster hasn't even played a full season, so why should he be entitled to anything?
BTW I like foster not throwing him under the bus, just saying he's not entitled to be immature or whatever the case was that benched him, just because he's leading the nfl in rushing.

Lucky
10-03-2010, 07:56 PM
Didn't realize kubiak got an extension his first year as coach...
:confused:

Welcome to the forum. Eventually, I'll understand what you're saying.

Showtime100
10-03-2010, 08:07 PM
If I were coach I would dicipline him some other way. Leaving him out of the game for any disiplinary reason was, IMO, counterproductive in the grand sceme of things and could have cost the team.

I think I would get him back to Houston and tell him to start running and/or start the pushups and not to stop until I say.

TexansFanatic
10-03-2010, 08:17 PM
I love that the Sunshine Club is so ready to throw Foster under the bus before they even find out what exactly he did or didn't do.

I hope I'm not included in that group.

I'm not looking to throw him under the bus. Hell, I love the guy.

I was just guessing.

JB
10-03-2010, 08:18 PM
If I were coach I would dicipline him some other way. Leaving him out of the game for any disiplinary reason was, IMO, counterproductive in the grand sceme of things and could have cost the team.

I think I would get him back to Houston and tell him to start running and/or start the pushups and not to stop until I say.

Seems to me like it accomplished just what you would wish for. Slaton and Ward got some work and some confidence, and Foster came in with a vengence to redeem himself.

Scooter
10-03-2010, 08:18 PM

i think the "grand scheme" is exactly why it was a gameday move, we need foster to have his head right and working as he should the whole season for the texans to have success. what's a football player care about doing pushups or running laps? the rules are there and the precidence has been set already, notably with jacoby. the other 50+ guys are doing what they're supposed to, there's zero reason to make an exception for foster or anyone else.

Showtime100
10-03-2010, 08:19 PM
Seems to me like it accomplished just what you would wish for. Slaton and Ward got some work and some confidence, and Foster came in with a vengence to redeem himself.

i think the "grand scheme" is exactly why it was a gameday move, what's a football player care about doing pushups or running laps? we need foster to have his head right and working as he should the whole season for the texans to have success. the rules are there and the precidence has been set already, notably with jacoby. the other 50+ guys are doing what they're supposed to, there's zero reason to make an exception for foster or anyone else.

Point well taken from you both. :)

thunderkyss
10-03-2010, 08:21 PM

But it didn't cost them anything. Ward & Slaton looked fine.

NOt as good as Foster, but not bad.

This tells me Kubiak has control of his team. He expects them to carry themselves a certain way, and he holds them accountable. To me, this means Foster will be that guy that we need, for a long time.

silvrhand
10-03-2010, 08:22 PM
some guys on here have obviously never been on a team

Nope.. if you allow one to break the rules you might as well let everyone break the rules.. Rules are made to be followed.. This is not Arian's first time down this road..

DownByContact
10-03-2010, 08:23 PM

I guess it's a fail of trying to be sarcastic.
what I'm saying is that, when you said that kubiak was entitled to an extension, comparing kubiak and foster. Foster is still technically in his first year. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

When kubiak got his extension it definitely wasn't his first year. But from what I understand you're saying is that foster should be entitled to something, even though he is in his first year leading the NFL.
What I'm saying that if you're in your first year, you shouldn't really be entitled to anything.

If that makes any sense, which probably doesn't. Usually I'm the only one that can understand what I'm saying.

Showtime100
10-03-2010, 08:24 PM
But it didn't cost them anything. Ward & Slaton looked fine.

NOt as good as Foster, but not bad.

This tells me Kubiak has control of his team. He expects them to carry themselves a certain way, and he holds them accountable. To me, this means Foster will be that guy that we need, for a long time.

Yeah. No biggie. All's well that ends well. I'm really glad it worked out. My way couldn't have worked out better than what really happened so I'm not complaining.

Scooter
10-03-2010, 08:26 PM
you made perfect sense the first time downbycontact, i think lucky just didnt have any actual response.

Maddict5
10-03-2010, 08:28 PM
Nope.. if you allow one to break the rules you might as well let everyone break the rules.. Rules are made to be followed.. This is not Arian's first time down this road..

i know lol. we're on the same side of this fence. discipline is what separates the teams at this level

Señor Stan
10-03-2010, 08:52 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7230133.html

Benched for missing team meetings. Late for one, missed another.

He deserved what he got. He is not bigger than the team. That being said, absolutely great performance once he got in the game. Dude is a game changer.

CloakNNNdagger
10-03-2010, 09:02 PM
From Rotoworld:

Arian Foster was benched for the first quarter of Sunday's win because he was missed one meeting last week and was late to another.
As we suspected. Foster does have a history of unprofessional habits, but he's simply playing too well for this to linger. Coach Gary Kubiak sent him a message Sunday and we expect Foster to keep his nose clean going forward. The top-5 fantasy back racked up 187 total yards and two touchdowns in 2 1/2 quarters Sunday.

Source: John McClain on Twitter

Showtime100
10-03-2010, 09:06 PM
Yeah. That's pretty bad. Dude needs to get his head on straight. To quote a fictitious friend of mine, "That boy ain't right."

texansdrummer
10-03-2010, 09:08 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7230133.html

Benched for missing team meetings. Late for one, missed another.

He deserved what he got. He is not bigger than the team. That being said, absolutely great performance once he got in the game. Dude is a game changer.

Yup. Rules are the rules. Like it or not, Kubes showed some serious balls holding him out. I'm sure the team wasn't very happy with his behavior. If I was a vet, I'd be his personal alarm clock.

TexansFanatic
10-03-2010, 09:08 PM
Damn, I hope he gets his act together. Not cool to be missing meetings.

Next time, Kubiak may sit him for a whole game and he'll forfeit a game check and really hurt his team in the process.

Revolution
10-03-2010, 09:12 PM
you made perfect sense the first time downbycontact, i think lucky just didnt have any actual response.

EXACTLY! The statement was perfectly clear... I got the sarcasm, just by the context of your statement.

thunderkyss
10-03-2010, 09:15 PM
i think the "grand scheme" is exactly why it was a gameday move, we need foster to have his head right and working as he should the whole season for the texans to have success. what's a football player care about doing pushups or running laps? the rules are there and the precidence has been set already, notably with jacoby. the other 50+ guys are doing what they're supposed to, there's zero reason to make an exception for foster or anyone else.

I totally agree.

Not only did Foster see that he was expendable, with Ward & Slaton having success, but he came out to prove a point & went to another level.

That's what competition is supposed to do.

GP
10-03-2010, 09:19 PM
All that has to be done is this:

MAKE HIM PAY.

Win the game. Make him pay.

To win the game, you let him play.

To let him play, you make him pay.

This isn't junior high. It's not high school. It's not college.

It is a game whereby you can fine your players. You take a huge chunk of coin, more huge than any other team dares to charge a player, and you will see those guys make every meeting on time. Guaranteed.

You guys like to say Gary Kubiak is smart and he isn't letting one player get away with stuff. My way would also make sure the player doesn't get away with stuff, but he still has a chance to give the other 51 players on the team a chance at winning the game.

Don't cheat the other 51 players on the roster. Make the one guy PAY, with money, and you'll see it stop.

Only one thing motivates those guys more than winning a Super Bowl. And it isn't the idea of having to stand on the sideline for one quarter. It's MONEY. Making a guy sit for one quarter only hurts the rest of the team. Want to say that if you're late or miss 3 meetings THEN you sit for a half or a full game? OK. You still fine them a huge amount of money, too. There are ways to send a message without potentially lessening your chances at a victory. Coaches are judged by Wins and Losses.

M-O-N-E-Y.

CloakNNNdagger
10-03-2010, 09:32 PM
For those of you who might be interested, here are some articles which demonstrate Foster's "troubled" past...........probably a strong reason why Kubiak chose to be firm with his star RB.

Why teams passed on Arian Foster in NFL draft (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:uP7byFfIqvUJ:www.kentucky.com/2010/09/18/1440138/why-teams-passed-on-arian-foster.html+arian+foster+college+problems&cd=19&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us)

Three Vols arrested, suspended (http://www.fanblogs.com/tennessee/006739.php)

NFL Star Arian Foster Has Mixed Memories Of The Duke City, But He Wants To Help Its Kids (http://www.abqjournal.com/sports/live/component/content/article/6081.html)

ArlingtonTexan
10-03-2010, 09:46 PM

MAKE HIM PAY.

It is a game whereby you can fine your players. You take a huge chunk of coin, more huge than any other team dares to charge a player, and you will see those guys make every meeting on time. Guaranteed.

You guys like to say Gary Kubiak is smart and he isn't letting one player get away with stuff. My way would also make sure the player doesn't get away with stuff, but he still has a chance to give the other 51 players on the team a chance at winning the game.

Don't cheat the other 51 players on the roster. Make the one guy PAY, with money, and you'll see it stop.

Only one thing motivates those guys more than winning a Super Bowl. And it isn't the idea of having to stand on the sideline for one quarter. It's MONEY. Making a guy sit for one quarter only hurts the rest of the team. Want to say that if you're late or miss 3 meetings THEN you sit for a half or a full game? OK. You still fine them a huge amount of money, too. There are ways to send a message without potentially lessening your chances at a victory. Coaches are judged by Wins and Losses.

M-O-N-E-Y.

The point of keeping him out of the game is because it could potentially hurt the entire team. A fine (which is limited by the players' union) even for a lower paid guy like Foster does not make him accountable to the team. In theory (have no idea if really works), it encourages other players to go "dude get your butt up to the darn meeting" versus "that dude is grown and if wants to pay fine that's on him." Last point, we don't know he already has been earlier or was fined in conjunction with the quarter.

gg no re
10-03-2010, 09:49 PM
I'm surprised there's no tantric puns given Foster's affinity for Hinduism.

CloakNNNdagger
10-03-2010, 09:50 PM

MAKE HIM PAY.

M-O-N-E-Y.

If only there was no CBA!

CBA
ARTICLE VIII
CLUB DISCIPLINE
Section 1. Maximum Discipline:

(a) For the 2006 League Year, the following maximum discipline
schedule will be applicable:

Unexcused late reporting for mandatory off-season minicamp, team
meeting, practice, transportation, curfew, scheduled appointment with
Club physician or trainer, or scheduled promotional activity—maximum
fine of $1,500.

Unexcused missed mandatory off-season minicamp, team meeting,
practice, curfew, bed check, scheduled appointment with Club physician
or trainer, material failure to follow Club rehabilitation directions, or scheduled
promotional activity—maximum fine of $8,000.

Marcus
10-03-2010, 09:59 PM

MAKE HIM PAY.

M-O-N-E-Y.

Umm . . . how much M-O-N-E-Y do you think this UDFA makes anyway?

Man, you can smell the Kubiak haters a mile away.

GP
10-03-2010, 10:30 PM
Umm . . . how much M-O-N-E-Y do you think this UDFA makes anyway?

Man, you can smell the Kubiak haters a mile away.

Not a hater.

Just saying that money talks. It's all relative: You make a lot of money, you get fined a relative amount. Arian Foster, if he likes his job, can take a hit that's relative to what he's making.

I don't get why this isn't a logical solution. Let's do what we can do to win the game (play your players), and let's allow off-the-field punishments (of the fiscal nature) take its toll on violators of policy.

I like wins. I like 'em a lot. You need all hands on deck to try to win as many games as you can. It's not like sitting a RB for one quarter is going to really do anything. It's amateur hour. It's grandstanding. Hit their pocketbook, and hit it hard. Less coin can be a great motivator.

GP
10-03-2010, 10:33 PM
If only there was no CBA!

CBA
ARTICLE VIII
CLUB DISCIPLINE
Section 1. Maximum Discipline:

(a) For the 2006 League Year, the following maximum discipline
schedule will be applicable:

Unexcused late reporting for mandatory off-season minicamp, team
meeting, practice, transportation, curfew, scheduled appointment with
Club physician or trainer, or scheduled promotional activity—maximum
fine of $1,500.

Unexcused missed mandatory off-season minicamp, team meeting,
practice, curfew, bed check, scheduled appointment with Club physician
or trainer, material failure to follow Club rehabilitation directions, or scheduled
promotional activity—maximum fine of $8,000.

Awww heck...you done gone all official on me and stuff.

gtexan02
10-03-2010, 10:41 PM
Fosters got to be accountable to the team and to the coaches, but Kubiak's got to be accountable to the fans and his owner.

In hindsite, it looks like this was handled appropriately. Soft benching, until he decided he needed him

Texan4Ever
10-03-2010, 10:44 PM
I may be wrong but I think Kubiak was just trying to send a message to Foster. Hell, the Tuna even benched Eddie George (and broke his streak of consecutive starts) just to humble him.

texansdrummer
10-03-2010, 10:51 PM
Not a hater.

Just saying that money talks. It's all relative: You make a lot of money, you get fined a relative amount. Arian Foster, if he likes his job, can take a hit that's relative to what he's making.

I don't get why this isn't a logical solution. Let's do what we can do to win the game (play your players), and let's allow off-the-field punishments (of the fiscal nature) take its toll on violators of policy.

I like wins. I like 'em a lot. You need all hands on deck to try to win as many games as you can. It's not like sitting a RB for one quarter is going to really do anything. It's amateur hour. It's grandstanding. Hit their pocketbook, and hit it hard. Less coin can be a great motivator.

Given the salary that AF is currently earning, and considering what he might be able to earn in the future, I think holding him out for awhile is more painful......personally AND potentially financially.

Joe Texan
10-03-2010, 11:05 PM
There is exactly no excuse for not starting Foster, I do not care if he pissed off the coach the Coach has no excuse for keeping him out of the game. He is the Real deal and he risked losing the game because of it. Come on Coach Kubiak get out of your Aggie Ways and Coach this team to Win these games

dbruder44
10-03-2010, 11:07 PM
There is exactly no excuse for not starting Foster, I do not care if he pissed off the coach the Coach has no excuse for keeping him out of the game. He is the Real deal and he risked losing the game because of it. Come on Coach Kubiak get out of your Aggie Ways and Coach this team to Win these games

A coach that can't control his team will never win, Foster got the message, loud and clear. I support Gary's call why a new thread???

TheRealJoker
It was another risk that worked out for Kubiak this season. The first major risk being punting in OT against the Redskins.

Texan_Bill

:rolleyes:

:gun:

Joe, sometimes, you are waaaaaaaaaaaay too much!!!

:dontknowa

brakos82
10-03-2010, 11:08 PM
http://www.untoldentertainment.com/blog/img/2010_03_31/statler_waldorf.jpg

Tailgate
10-03-2010, 11:09 PM

Wait.... we lost???

thunderkyss
10-03-2010, 11:10 PM
I may be wrong but I think Kubiak was just trying to send a message to Foster. Hell, the Tuna even benched Eddie George (and broke his streak of consecutive starts) just to humble him.

Who do you call "The Tuna"?

I thought that was Parcell, but I don't remember when he ever had an opportunity to bench Eddie Georgr.

Corrosion
10-03-2010, 11:10 PM
Those other two backs were averaging almost 10 yards a carry before Foster stepped on the field .... Ward looked solid and broke one for 30+.

A Fresh (motivated) Foster came on in the second half to rush for a buck thirty on 8.2 per carry.

TexansFanatic
10-03-2010, 11:12 PM
I support Kubiak's decision.

Foster needed to know that the consequences of his behavior can hurt the team.

Did anyone else notice that Vonta seemed to have a few words for Arian after Arian's 74 yard TD?

I'm betting those words went something like: "We need you, bro. Don't miss any more meetings."

Just a wild guess.

Jackie Chiles
10-03-2010, 11:14 PM
He ran wild today, maybe he should miss more meetings....

I kid, I kid.

Yankee_In_TX
10-03-2010, 11:15 PM

Post of the week for using that in a context that made sense. Rep.

sometexansfan
10-03-2010, 11:18 PM

I thought that was Parcell, but I don't remember when he ever had an opportunity to bench Eddie Georgr.

George played for the Cowboys a season when Parcells was there.

thunderkyss
10-03-2010, 11:18 PM
I support Kubiak's decision.

Foster needed to know that the consequences of his behavior can hurt the team.

Did anyone else notice that Vonta seemed to have a few words for Arian after Arian's 74 yard TD?

I'm betting those words went something like: "We need you, bro. Don't miss any more meetings."

Just a wild guess.

I was thinking he was telling him there are two ways he could have handled the adversity. The wrong way, or with a 74 yard touchdown.

CloakNNNdagger
10-03-2010, 11:19 PM

After the Titans wouldn't give George a contract he thought he deserved, He was signed by Dallas in 2004........Parcells.

Allstar
10-03-2010, 11:26 PM
Foster:
“I didn’t handle my business off the field, I got disciplined for it, and rightfully so,” Foster said. “I take full responsibility and I apologized to my teammates for it, and it won’t happen again. And we’re all about moving on here. I slipped up, and I’m assuring it won’t happen again.”

Kubiak:
“Bottom line, we all have responsibilities and over the course of the past few weeks he’s neglected responsibilities, he’s been unaccountable in a couple of situations,” Kubiak said. “When that happens you’ve got to learn a lesson, pay a price. I’m disappointed in him, but proud of him coming back and playing well today.”
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/recap?gid=20101003013

Htownsportsfan
10-03-2010, 11:39 PM

Bull$$$$!!!

It doesnt matter if its Mario, Demeco, Schaub or anyone else, meetings are mandatory for ALL players including undrafted free agents who are having a breakout season. Foster has a history of strange antics as pointed out earlier in this thread and also mentioned in LZ's blog tonight http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2010/10/post_169.html.

You are right that Foster is important which makes it imperative that Kubiak get the kids head straight ASAP. First he was late to a meeting then he missed a meeting. Give him an inch and he took a mile. How do you think that sits with other veteran pro-bowl players like Ryans who show you to the meetings and have excelled season in and season out. Terrell Owens didnt get to be the Diva he is over night, he was "to important" to bench and a monster was created. I cant help but wonder if Kubiak would have made this decision if it wasn't the Raiders.

I just hope Foster isn't just paying lip service and actually is taking it to heart.

TexansFanatic
10-03-2010, 11:39 PM
I was thinking he was telling him there are two ways he could have handled the adversity. The wrong way, or with a 74 yard touchdown.

You may be right.

El Tejano
10-03-2010, 11:48 PM
I'm cool with what Kubiak did but only because I remember a situation like this last year, where Kubiak's decision kind of came back to bite him. Remember how everyone was throwing Kubiak under the bus for leaving Jacoby in Houston because he missed the team flight or something? Oh yeah, Kubiak was getting dissed because everyone thought there was a time and a place for that and it certainly wasn't before a divisional road game with a chance to still be in the playoff hunt.

Well, the next week and a season later we've been treated to a real good football player in Jacoby Jones. With Foster, I liked the idea of what Kubiak did because he applied the discipline without hurting the team. He didn't leave Foster in Houston. Instead, he sat him (an undrafted free agent who beat all odds to get a starting spot) for two quarters and let him get a glimpse of how quickly it can be taken away because someonelse is always waiting in the wings. It was pretty clear that Foster got the message.

ObsiWan
10-04-2010, 12:25 AM

He's saying that Foster has had, collectively, 6 good games. Kubiak built this team - at least the offense - into a respectable one, one that can play with anybody in the league, from something that most other teams would chalk up as an "automatic win".
That extension was earned with four YEARS of work and only having one losing season out of the four he's been here.

Not just six decent games.

And, for you Cowher fans, do you think the Chin would have done things any differently?? I seriously doubt it. He, too, strikes me as a No-One-Is-Bigger-Than-the-Team kind of coach. Hell, Cowher may not have even dressed him for the game. And so, if it had been Cowher handing out that disciplinary action, would you still be so upset about it???

Another question: would Foster even BE HERE if not for Kubiak?

TexCanada
10-04-2010, 12:35 AM
I'm going to have to give my support to Kubes on this one. Foster got his discipline and we still got the win, so it worked out quite well. Foster looked pretty devastated to be standing on the sidelines, so hopefully that will sink in for him. There are some great leaders on this team who should be able to help him out too.

killerkev
10-04-2010, 12:39 AM
74 yard touchdown! RUN AND TELL THAT, HOMEBOY!!!

LOL!!!!
I get what you're referring too.
Hide your Kids....Hide your wife....And hide your husbands too b/c they raping everyone out here!

Ha Ha

:gamer:

10-04-2010, 12:40 AM
Stay humble.

dc_txtech
10-04-2010, 12:41 AM
merge?

Speedy
10-04-2010, 12:44 AM
I cant help but wonder if Kubiak would have made this decision if it wasn't the Raiders.

Or if Ward and Slaton weren't doing so well.

Corrosion
10-04-2010, 12:48 AM
I'm going to have to give my support to Kubes on this one. Foster got his discipline and we still got the win, so it worked out quite well. Foster looked pretty devastated to be standing on the sidelines, so hopefully that will sink in for him. There are some great leaders on this team who should be able to help him out too.

He looked like someone ran over his cat .... especially when they were showing him sitting between Slaton and Ward after his 33 yard TD romp.

TheMatrix31
10-04-2010, 12:51 AM
Kubiak is totally justified in his decision.

Everything worked out. Let's move on.

dalemurphy
10-04-2010, 12:56 AM

The Texans scored 14 first half points before Foster took a snap, including a 33 yard TD run by Derrick Ward. Foster was on pace for over 400 carries for the season. The Texans scored 31 points and won the game. What exactly are you looking at when you watch all the football that you watch? Perhaps at your age, you could begin considering multiple variables when making a judgement on something?... just a thought.

Jeff S.
10-04-2010, 12:57 AM
Another question: would Foster even BE HERE if not for Kubiak?

Exactly. What a slap in the face to the organization that pulled him off the scrap heap. All this talk about Foster majoring in philosophy...anyone tried actually reading any philosophy? That shit is hard. If Foster is half as intellectual as everyone is saying he is, he should have no problem recognizing the knife edge he, and just about every NFL player not named P Manning, is sitting on. I'm really disappointed in AF pulling this crap after only three games. He's had these problems before, and he was saying all the right things--I can only hope that one of these days it'll sink in.

Kudos to Kubes for doing the right thing.

Jeff S.
10-04-2010, 01:06 AM
One more thing: I just read in the Chron yesterday about how Foster, in his own words, was watching how Andre Johnson went about his business. Oh really?

Anyway, on to next week: GO COWBOYS!

Goatcheese
10-04-2010, 01:14 AM
Stay thirsty my friend.

http://www.joeydevilla.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/the_most_interesting_man_in_the_world.jpg

TexanSam
10-04-2010, 01:19 AM
Foster:

Kubiak:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/recap?gid=20101003013

Kind of worrisome that's it's been over the course of a few weeks rather than just one incident...

You ain't Tomlinson yet, Foster.

kwayshauntay
10-04-2010, 01:33 AM
...seems like it's always scrunched up. Anybody else notice this?

Why?

Do none of his teammates want to straighten it out for him?

Is his jersey too small?

Is his back pad too big?

Does he do it for good luck/superstition, kind of like Biggio and his dirty batter's helmet?

Did he do the same thing when he was at the University of Tennessee?

Why?

Inquiring minds want to know...:hmmm:

Kulluminatii
10-04-2010, 01:36 AM
:facepalm:

brakos82
10-04-2010, 01:42 AM
http://chzgifs.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/facepalmzzzp11.gif

kwayshauntay
10-04-2010, 01:52 AM
So....does that mean you guys have noticed or haven't noticed?

Or has some other inquiring mind already asked this question and received an answer?

I know it's not important, and God knows only important things get discussed on message boards.....(pause for effect)....

...but I can't be the only one who notices this and gets somewhat annoyed, can I? I see the bunched up numbers and I just badly want someone to pull the shirt tail of his jersey down to straighten it out. Either that, or an explanation for such an idiosyncrasy would be nice. Is that too much too ask? :kitten:

imatexan
10-04-2010, 01:59 AM
merge?

Yes!

So many AF threads!

texansdrummer
10-04-2010, 02:00 AM
Get a life

brakos82
10-04-2010, 02:02 AM
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/4/14/129157564596637678.gif

brakos82
10-04-2010, 02:03 AM
Stay thirsty my friend.

http://www.joeydevilla.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/the_most_interesting_man_in_the_world.jpg

:facepalm: Wrong beer.

Txn_in_FL
10-04-2010, 03:22 AM
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j145/Jvchequer/facepalmimplied.jpg

powerfuldragon
10-04-2010, 03:28 AM

if you'll notice, just as this snail blasts forward, his eyestalks are flung back. no doubt this is due to a seemingly fatal combination of both the momentum of the jet pulse and the lack of muscular rigidity endemic to gastropods. what i'm trying to ask is how the hell does he see where he's going?

Txn_in_FL
10-04-2010, 03:36 AM
if you'll notice, just as this snail blasts forward, his eyestalks are flung back. no doubt this is due to a seemingly fatal combination of both the momentum of the jet pulse and the lack of muscular rigidity endemic to gastropods. what i'm trying to ask is how the hell does he see where he's going?

On top of all that scientific gobbledy-gook, what keeps his limp head and eye-stalks from being sucked into the intake of the jet engine?

Señor Stan
10-04-2010, 05:38 AM
Maybe THAT'S why he's always doing that bow thing after a touchdown...to straighten out his number!

I'm going to go start a thread about that!

TheMatrix31
10-04-2010, 05:45 AM
Well....without responding like a dick, no, I haven't noticed it. I'll look out for it in highlights or next week.

TheMatrix31
10-04-2010, 05:55 AM
Kind of worrisome that's it's been over the course of a few weeks rather than just one incident...

You ain't Tomlinson yet, Foster.

Sounds like he's learned. Of course, it could also just be what needed to be said. Who knows.

That said, I would hate for him to turn into LT personality-wise. That guy's a little ***** to the highest degree.

Grid
10-04-2010, 06:19 AM
lol..yeah these replies are a little bit harsher than im used to seeing on Texans Talk. I think that Dallas game has soured some dispositions :D

Lucky
10-04-2010, 06:43 AM
Not just six decent games.
Foster has been better than decent. Try to be honest about that.

Foster gets 187 total yards, 2 TDs, and some discipline while the Texans get a road win. It's all good. I just wish that Kubiak had only benched Foster in the 1st quarter last season (rather than keeping him on the PS) when he missed meetings. Maybe the Texans would have made their 1st appearance in the playoffs?

Anyway you look at it, Foster is the best value in professional football. A league leading rusher making the 2nd year vet minimum? I think the Texans (especially in an uncapped year) should be giving this guy a bonus. Because he's the biggest reason why the Texans are sitting with a winning record atop the AFC South. Meetings or not.

PockyAF
10-04-2010, 08:09 AM

No offense, but no one gives a shit. Kubiak cares more about the dingleberry hanging off his ass than about fans who shares the same opinions that you do.

You sound like the kind of parents that would go to Wal-Mart with his kid and let him/her run wild, knocking and breaking shit on every aisle, and walk along like nothing happened.

Even Foster admits that he was wrong. :rolleyes:

Kubiak won the battle on and off the field. He was in the right, he knows it and his team knows it.

thunderkyss
10-04-2010, 09:33 AM

Not only did we still get the win, Foster continues to lead the league in rushing by over 100 yards.

there was no downside realized from this decision, everything came out on the damn good side.

NitroGSXR
10-04-2010, 09:44 AM
No offense, but no one gives a shit. Kubiak cares more about the dingleberry hanging off his ass than about fans who shares the same opinions that you do.

You sound like the kind of parents that would go to Wal-Mart with his kid and let him/her run wild, knocking and breaking shit on every aisle, and walk along like nothing happened.

Even Foster admits that he was wrong. :rolleyes:

Kubiak won the battle on and off the field. He was in the right, he knows it and his team knows it.

Relax and suck in some of Foster's mantra. We're all fans.

I'll tell you what I think... this quarter stuff is pathetically juvenile. Activate or deactivate. I didn't tune in to see Foster pacing the sideline. Mind-numbing ugh!!

HOU-TEX
10-04-2010, 10:01 AM
I think Foster's on the verge of becoming a member of my Beast Club. That said, I totally agree with what Kubiak did. There will be no player that's larger than the team and it's the coach's job to make sure they don't try. Does AJ do this kinda crap to the team? Hell no!

Hell, some of y'all are calling Kubiak out, which I think is ludicrous, and I'm trying to figure out why he wasn't disciplined after missing the first meeting.

Blake
10-04-2010, 10:04 AM
I heard he served Kubiak a booger sandwich. Needless to say, Kubiak didnt like it.

thunderkyss
10-04-2010, 10:16 AM
Relax and suck in some of Foster's mantra. We're all fans.

I'll tell you what I think... this quarter stuff is pathetically juvenile. Activate or deactivate. I didn't tune in to see Foster pacing the sideline. Mind-numbing ugh!!

If we were steeler fans, we'd be saying Ben needs to get his shit together.

As Texans' fans, we're saying Cushing needs to get his shit together.

We're also saying Duane Brown needs to get his shit together.

Kubiak lays down the law, & we're on Kubiak's ass? What's wrong with putting the blame where it belongs? Foster needs to get his shit together.

thunderkyss
10-04-2010, 10:19 AM
I think Foster's on the verge of becoming a member of my Beast Club. That said, I totally agree with what Kubiak did. There will be no player that's larger than the team and it's the coach's job to make sure they don't try. Does AJ do this kinda crap to the team? Hell no!

Hell, some of y'all are calling Kubiak out, which I think is ludicrous, and I'm trying to figure out why he wasn't disciplined after missing the first meeting.

Again, I see this as a win-win-win for Kubiak. Especially considering how he came back and answered the call, with a chip on his sholder, with something to prove.

Slaton & Ward were probably licking their chops, thinking they done some good..... earned more playing time. Then Foster comes out & drops a buck fiddy & a TD.

Slaton & Ward have got to be thinking there is another level out there, & they gotta find it if they truly want more playing time.

NitroGSXR
10-04-2010, 10:29 AM
If we were steeler fans, we'd be saying Ben needs to get his shit together.

As Texans' fans, we're saying Cushing needs to get his shit together.

We're also saying Duane Brown needs to get his shit together.

Kubiak lays down the law, & we're on Kubiak's ass? What's wrong with putting the blame where it belongs? Foster needs to get his shit together.
I'm not a bandwagoner. I'm not concerned with Big Ben's perverted ways.

I don't have a problem with Foster being disciplined. It's how he was disciplined. He would have benched him if he really meant business. Kubiak's a softy sitting on the hotseat... always a dangerous combination.

Ole Miss Texan
10-04-2010, 10:42 AM
So a missed meeting and late to another? That's not going to cut it on the Texans. I'm in favor of this kind of punishment, whether it was Foster or Mario. Nobody is above the team and has to be held accountable.

That's one of the main words they're using this year: Accountability. If everybody knows Coach is going to sit you the 1st quarter, 1st half or the entire game for breaking team rules - then it's your fault. Foster is accountable. The players may hate the coach's decision, especially if it led to a loss... but everyone knew... or now knows he's for real. It's on the players now and they are holding EACH OTHER accountable. I love it.

Also, for a player like a RB, sitting out the 1st quarter is a decent punishment too. Especially if the guy is the leading rusher in the league and starting to become a diva. If he's on the bench, he can't collect those stats. You know Foster wants all the yards and TD he can get. He wants to be in the pro bowl, the leading rusher, etc. I thought Slaton and Ward did a pretty good job (not longterm, but that 1st qtr was good)... then Foster came out and wanted to show Coach why he needs to be in there.

Hopefully it's a win-win here. Foster - get your damn head on straight!! and all you other players, don't break team rules!

gtexan02
10-04-2010, 10:46 AM
Lets just hope Kubiak didn't put Foster in when the game got tight. That would increase his ego more than anything. I hope Kubiak told him "you'll sit for x series" rather than I'll put you in when Ill put you in

Texan_Bill
10-04-2010, 10:47 AM

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z213/LittleLady718/gifs/applause.gif

Mr teX
10-04-2010, 10:53 AM
yes, this is the texans messageboard where we get on the coach for a decision that didn't even seem like it was bothering us,....... all the while paying no attention to the decision that really could've come back to bite us in the ass...... sitting AJ.:wadepalm:

eriadoc
10-04-2010, 10:56 AM
Personally, I think it was a good move. Foster came into the game meaning business, because the other two showed they can do things at the position as well.

Anyone thinking Kubes is wrong for this is out of their mind. Players get away with far too much as it is. WWLD? (Lombardi)

Buffi2
10-04-2010, 11:06 AM
yes, this is the texans messageboard where we get on the coach for a decision that didn't even seem like it was bothering us,....... all the while paying no attention to the decision that really could've come back to bite us in the ass...... sitting AJ.:wadepalm:

Both were good decisions. Given the field conditions, AJ could have really hurt that ankle to the point that he would be out for a month or more. We need him more after the bye week than before and certainly don't need him to get seriously hurt while playing a team that Kubiak obviously thought we could beat without him.

As to Foster - that was also the correct action. You don't have to look around much to see what happens to a team when the rules aren't enforced - or any organization for that matter. Just because Foster is becoming the next Emmit Smith is no reason for him to be late or miss meetings. A "star" sets a standard on the field and off. Often, the example set off the field is just as important as the example on the field. Missing one meeting may not seem to be all that important - but if nothing is done about it - what happens next? How many others will decide to be late, stay out drinking late...the bad possibilities are many. I applaud Kubiak for both decisions.

disaacks3
10-04-2010, 11:09 AM
While I agree with Kubes' need to punish Arian...did it need to be for THAT long?

Here are the other (lesser) alternatives:

1. Fine him.
2. Not start, sit 1 play.
3. Sit out 1 offensive series.
4. Sit out 1 quarter.

IMHO - When the announcers on your hometown radio station AND the TV announcers are questioning the login of sitting the leading rusher in the NFL, perhaps it's time to review your logic. As one of the first callers after the game last night pointed out...if we'd lost, the ONLY topic would be "Why wasn't Arian in there?"

Buffi2
10-04-2010, 11:14 AM
While I agree with Kubes' need to punish Arian...did it need to be for THAT long?
As one of the first callers after the game last night pointed out...if we'd lost, the ONLY topic would be "Why wasn't Arian in there?"

As to the first question - I am guessing that missing the first quarter are the consequences since I'm sure they are spelled out somewhere.

As to the second - but we didn't lose. I do know enough about coaching to know that any decision you make is second guessed. If it works - you are a genius - if it doesn't you should be fired. This time it worked. Since it did, let us all hope it taught everyone a lesson and we won't have to take this chance again this season anyway.

Vinnie
10-04-2010, 11:15 AM
I have no issue with what Kubiak did with Arian in the first half whatsoever. Even had we lost. We were still running the ball decently with Ward and Slaton. I have more issue with not running the ball with 1:45 or so left in the first half and going three and out to give the Raiders a chance to go ahead into half time. That I have issue with.

eriadoc
10-04-2010, 11:16 AM

1. Fine him.
4. Sit out 1 quarter.

IMHO - When the announcers on your hometown radio station AND the TV announcers are questioning the login of sitting the leading rusher in the NFL, perhaps it's time to review your logic. As one of the first callers after the game last night pointed out...if we'd lost, the ONLY topic would be "Why wasn't Arian in there?"

I'd bet the original plan was to sit him one quarter, or maybe even less than one quarter. But when the other two were rolling, Kubiak stayed with the hot hand until they cooled off, which was also the right move.

Anytime you relinquish your starting job, for any reason whatsoever, you risk losing it. I think Foster got a very small dose of that realization yesterday, and he ran like a madman as a result. I'm not saying he wouldn't have otherwise, but I'd bet he had a sense of "OK, I better go show I'm the man" in that scenario.

TexansForTheW
10-04-2010, 12:12 PM
Foster deserved to sit and if he did not then Kubiak is telling his players indirectly that if you miss meetings then that is OK. I think he should have sat the whole game just like jacoby did last year. Kubiak has the respect of his players. It's not time to lose the team.

Mr teX
10-04-2010, 12:21 PM

1. Fine him.
4. Sit out 1 quarter.

Not trying to be an ass, but what the hell is sitting out 1 play or 1 offensive series gonna do to a guy from a disciplinary standpoint? As it is, 1 quarter isn't really doing anything to him.......he still gets his full game check im sure. Honestly what kubes did was appropriate considering the infraction; not too harsh, but not too light either.

Marcus
10-04-2010, 12:34 PM
To those of you who think that Kubiak's punishment of Foster was also a punishment of the team, and indirectly punishing the fans, let me pose this question . . .

If Kubiak had just fined him, wouldn't you even have heard about it? Would you even have cared?

Despite what some you in the "look for any any excuse to criticize the coach you wanted to be fired last season" group might think, he's not stupid. He knew that punishing the league's leading rusher in this fashion would cause a shitstir.

That was his intention. Nobody is bigger than the team. Nobody is above the team. Today, the entire world knows what Foster did. And that's how it should be.

The players respect Kubiak. They want to play for him. There are many reasons why that is, but the main one is that he commands discipline on the team, no matter who it is.

Ole Miss Texan
10-04-2010, 12:48 PM
Not trying to be an ass, but what the hell is sitting out 1 play or 1 offensive series gonna do to a guy from a disciplinary standpoint? As it is, 1 quarter isn't really doing anything to him.......he still gets his full game check im sure. Honestly what kubes did was appropriate considering the infraction; not too harsh, but not too light either.

It's holding him accountable. It's every player on the team knowing they are accountable for what they do on and off the field. Each player knows the team rules they are supposed to abide by. By missing team meetings, being late, etc. it shows your coaches and your teammates that you're not serious. The other players should be pissed, they all showed up, they're doing their part, they have to keep each other in check. If we lost the game "because of Foster", it's HIS fault, not Kubiaks. By sitting him, every player knows Kubes is for real and that they will sit too. If the team doesn't do good because that player is out... his teammates are going to be pissed at him.

Accountability.

Mr teX
10-04-2010, 12:55 PM
It's holding him accountable. It's every player on the team knowing they are accountable for what they do on and off the field. Each player knows the team rules they are supposed to abide by. By missing team meetings, being late, etc. it shows your coaches and your teammates that you're not serious. The other players should be pissed, they all showed up, they're doing their part, they have to keep each other in check. If we lost the game "because of Foster", it's HIS fault, not Kubiaks. By sitting him, every player knows Kubes is for real and that they will sit too. If the team doesn't do good because that player is out... his teammates are going to be pissed at him.

Accountability.

don't get me wrong, i agree with what kubes did, but what i was getting at was the actual alternative punishments that dissacks listed.

i get what it's supposed to show, but do u really think 1 stinkin' play/series is gonna bother a guy that much as dissacks cited as alternatives to what kubes did? I find it hard to believe that's the case. in fact, i don't think it would bother any player as they could just treat it as a rest play/series.

thunderkyss
10-04-2010, 12:58 PM

1. Fine him.
4. Sit out 1 quarter.

Even had we lost, I wouldn't change my mind. Just like when he told Jacoby don't bother getting on the plane before the Jags in Jacksonville last year. We lost that game, but I think the team & especially Jacoby were better for it.

ChampionTexan
10-04-2010, 01:09 PM

1. Fine him.
4. Sit out 1 quarter.

I've got no problem with the type or duration of the discipline that came down. I heard one of our many sub-par talk show hosts that this city has talking this morning that Foster A - is too valuable to deserve this type of punishment, and B - that he shouldn't be punished in a manner that could hurt the team.

Both of those points deserve the biggest BS that can possibly be given to them.

On the first issue, Foster was a UDFA because while he had his S@!t together his junior year, he couldn't/wouldn't/didn't keep it together his senior year. How in the world can the Texans be comfortable that by letting him slide because he's been so good in the last 5 or 6 regular season games that they're not implicitly telling him it's okay to get lax, let your guard down, and slip into old habits.

On the second issue, I believe that the best way to get/keep AF on the right track is peer pressure from his teammates. Even a heavy fine (if it were allowed) might be something he was willing to live with. One play, or one series wasn't risking jack squat, but if you basically tell him that he's going to miss significant time on the field and put his team at risk if he doesn't shape up, well then, you've got 52 other players and an entire staff who's highly motiviated to help this guy do things the right way. That's called being a team, and kudo's to Kubiak for handling this the way he did (and Kudo's to D.Ward and S. Slaton for not allowing it to bite us in the butt).

Hervoyel
10-04-2010, 01:21 PM
To those of you who think that Kubiak's punishment of Foster was also a punishment of the team, and indirectly punishing the fans, let me pose this question . . .

If Kubiak had just fined him, wouldn't you even have heard about it? Would you even have cared?

Despite what some you in the "look for any any excuse to criticize the coach you wanted to be fired last season" group might think, he's not stupid. He knew that punishing the league's leading rusher in this fashion would cause a shitstir.

That was his intention. Nobody is bigger than the team. Nobody is above the team. Today, the entire world knows what Foster did. And that's how it should be.

The players respect Kubiak. They want to play for him. There are many reasons why that is, but the main one is that he commands discipline on the team, no matter who it is.

This is I think the real point. How much grumbling do you hear out of the team? Who's stood up and pulled a Dunta and complained that they didn't have Foster for the first half?

I did not get what Kubiak was doing the first few years but I think Marcus has his finger on it here. Kubiak was building a team not just assembling some talent. It remains to be seen whether he's capable of building a team and leading it to success but he seems to be getting results. If they're lining up to play for him and feel bad when they let him down then I want to see where this goes.

Joe Texan
10-04-2010, 01:29 PM
Fine him a game check and make him play, that is a better senario and it hits his pocket book. What if we were playing the Colts and They beat us by a feild goal in the last minute, A lot of you would be sporting the pink soap, I am not saying fire the coach I am saying do not light the fire in the morning, when the rescue ship comes at night. Arian Foster is the Best thing we have in the backfeild, And he screwed up. Fine his arse a game check and I bet he would pay attention just like he did sitting, maybe more. Al you who question me are the first ones to pull out the pink soap when we screw up so STFU

ChampionTexan
10-04-2010, 01:37 PM
Fine him a game check and make him play, that is a better senario and it hits his pocket book. What if we were playing the Colts and They beat us by a feild goal in the last minute, A lot of you would be sporting the pink soap, I am not saying fire the coach I am saying do not light the fire in the morning, when the rescue ship comes at night. Arian Foster is the Best thing we have in the backfeild, And he screwed up. Fine his arse a game check and I bet he would pay attention just like he did sitting, maybe more. Al you who question me are the first ones to pull out the pink soap when we screw up so STFU

Well, the money he lost going from a low-round draft choice to an UDFA didn't really seem to make much of an impression on him, and that was way more than one of his current game checks. I'm just not sure I see anything that tells me that he would really be impacted by that.

Oh, and then there's this...

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1540361&postcount=62

disaacks3
10-04-2010, 01:47 PM

I'd bet the original plan was to sit him one quarter, or maybe even less than one quarter. But when the other two were rolling, Kubiak stayed with the hot hand until they cooled off, which was also the right move.

Anytime you relinquish your starting job, for any reason whatsoever, you risk losing it. I think Foster got a very small dose of that realization yesterday, and he ran like a madman as a result. I'm not saying he wouldn't have otherwise, but I'd bet he had a sense of "OK, I better go show I'm the man" in that scenario. I'm hoping the "ride the hot hand" after the 1st quarter was the scenario. That's what had me so angry...Why was he still out entering the 2nd quarter?

JB
10-04-2010, 01:53 PM

The worst thing you can do to a player is make him sit. Bothers them a lot more than a fine. Having to sit and watch other players do the job he had won is much more embarrassing to him, and puts a ton more peer pressure on him.

Mr teX
10-04-2010, 01:56 PM
The worst thing you can do to a player is make him sit. Bothers them a lot more than a fine. Having to sit and watch other players do the job he had won is much more embarrassing to him, and puts a ton more peer pressure on him.

I agree for the most part, but i think its tons more effective in heavy doses though, not 1 play or series...quarters & games only.

Jeff S.
10-04-2010, 02:00 PM
I agree for the most part, but i think its tons more effective in heavy doses though, not 1 play or series...quarters & games only.

I agree that sitting would have more of an impact than a fine. I think Kubes made the best out of a tough spot. He does want to win games, but he can't have this kind of prima donna attitude. Sitting him for a quarter was a good compromise between only a fine and suspending him the whole game.

OzzO
10-04-2010, 02:07 PM
Jacoby remembers last year... probably more than a fine would have him remember... plus he passes along his "experience" to other players.

After Arian Foster, the running back who was too slow to be drafted, ran like a track star to a 74-yard touchdown, he bowed to Raider Nation, celebrated a bit with teammates and headed to the Texans’ bench.

He came across Jacoby Jones, who stood in place and stared. The rarely short on words Jones simply said, “I told you.”

Foster nodded in acknowledgment before embracing his teammate....

...“I sat down and talked to him and told him that’s part of the game, you make mistakes, get over it,” Jones said. “Just come out and make plays and it’ll all be over with and gone. It’s as simple as that, and that’s what he did.” ....

Betcha Foster learned from it as well....
...“I take full responsibility,” he said. “I apologize to my teammates for it, and it won’t happen again.

“I’m still a human being — not to use that as an excuse, I still have to handle my business — but I slipped up and I’m assuring that it won’t happen again.” ...

Chronic - Solomon 10.4.10 (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/solomon/7230333.html)

silvrhand
10-04-2010, 02:09 PM
Jacoby remembers last year... probably more than a fine would have him remember... plus he passes along his "experience" to other players.

Chronic - Solomon 10.4.10 (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/solomon/7230333.html)

Why they have Jacoby and Arian next to each other in the lock room is beyond me.. You would have thought they would have had someone more "reliable" there next to him.

axman40
10-04-2010, 02:11 PM
I thought Coach Kubes signed a new book deal :Where's Foster?There he is in the End Zone!
:fans:

JB
10-04-2010, 02:19 PM

Foster sat until the offense started their first series of the 2nd qtr. That was like halfway through the quarter. Foster missed a lot of time, and I think it was very effective.

ObsiWan
10-04-2010, 02:23 PM
http://chzgifs.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/facepalmzzzp11.gif

Epic.
Where the heck did you find this?
(and repped)

TexCanada
10-04-2010, 02:26 PM
Anyone who has ever played sports at a reasonably high level can probably relate to a situation like this. If one guy gets special treatment from the coach by letting him get away with anything he wants, the whole team will suffer. It is very frustrating to watch a guy disobey the rules and still get the majority of the playing time. It doesn't matter if he is a superstar or not, it will cause problems. If Foster was allowed to get away with this stuff because he has had a couple good games, then problems with team morale wouldn't be far away(especially if we lost a few games). Kubiak handled it well, and hopefully Foster has learned from it.

thunderkyss
10-04-2010, 02:28 PM

With a fine, it's just Arian & his accountant. His accountant can say, " You know Arian, I can help you find much better uses for your money."

Sitting him, everyone on the team is like, " Foster, what's the deal man? We need you on the field, don't do that crap again. If you need a ride, call me, I'll hook you up. We got lucky... but don't do that crap again."

I like scenario #2 better.

ObsiWan
10-04-2010, 02:29 PM

Damn. I already repped you for the Epic FacePalm.
WHERE do you FIND these things???

badboy
10-04-2010, 02:30 PM
Well regardless what we think, it seems Gary handled it just right. Hopefully it will not take another discipline benching. I'm just glad it was against Oakland.

ObsiWan
10-04-2010, 02:47 PM
Foster has been better than decent. Try to be honest about that.

Foster gets 187 total yards, 2 TDs, and some discipline while the Texans get a road win. It's all good. I just wish that Kubiak had only benched Foster in the 1st quarter last season (rather than keeping him on the PS) when he missed meetings. Maybe the Texans would have made their 1st appearance in the playoffs?

Anyway you look at it, Foster is the best value in professional football. A league leading rusher making the 2nd year vet minimum? I think the Texans (especially in an uncapped year) should be giving this guy a bonus. Because he's the biggest reason why the Texans are sitting with a winning record atop the AFC South. Meetings or not.

No argument here. None at all. Give him his bonus - he's definitely earned it.

But that's not the point we were discussing.

It's the whole, no one is bigger than the team philosophy. Everyone is supposed to make the required meetings, practices, film sessions, etc. on time. Pro Bowlers, Mario, DeMeco, A.J., and Schaub all do. But you're telling me that Foster doesn't have to?? Surely you don't subscribe to the "since I'm a stud, I'm better than the rest of the guys so I don't have to be there like you other slugs" philosophy. That doesn't sound like you.

And I say again, Cowher wouldn't have stood for it either. So to say this is unique to Kubiak is just flat out wrong.

Double Barrel
10-04-2010, 06:36 PM
Kubiak should have just fired his ass. Think of the message that would have sent to the team!

:sarcasm:

Hopefully Foster is sincere in his words...this time...and doesn't hold it against the franchise when it's time to talk about a contract.

All this discipline stuff is great...when the team wins. But discipline, in and of itself, does not necessarily equate to winning. I don't blame the coach for making this decision, but hopefully it's the right discipline to motivate this particular player to pull his head out of his butt. We need him to make and win the playoffs.

thunderkyss
10-04-2010, 06:45 PM
Kubiak should have just fired his ass. Think of the message that would have sent to the team!

:sarcasm:

Hopefully Foster is sincere in his words...this time...and doesn't hold it against the franchise when it's time to talk about a contract.

All this discipline stuff is great...when the team wins. But discipline, in and of itself, does not necessarily equate to winning. I don't blame the coach for making this decision, but hopefully it's the right discipline to motivate this particular player to pull his head out of his butt. We need him to make and win the playoffs.

What I like about what Kubiak did in this situation, is that just like you, Mario, Demeco, Schaub, Andre, Winston, Walter, Vonta, Pollard.... are all ready to get to the post season. They can ***** & whine & mope & complain all they want, but they know if you screw up, you won't play. This isn't the first time Kubiak has done this.

They know, just like you.. Foster makes their chances of getting to Dallas in February easier. Those guys will be putting pressure on the young'n, & that's one less thing GK will have to worry about.

We got lucky. I'm sure we're not the only ones who understand that.

Rey
10-04-2010, 06:49 PM
I don't know if it was mentioned earlier in this thread, but Foster was fined in addition to his limited playing time.

drs23
10-04-2010, 07:09 PM
I don't know if it was mentioned earlier in this thread, but Foster was fined in addition to his limited playing time.

Yeah, Rey, it came up in the presser I think. Anyone know how much $$$?

Texecutioner
10-04-2010, 07:21 PM
Kudos to Kubiak for sending the message to Foster. I was completely behind his decision once I realized that Foster was sitting out and wasn't hurt. I figured that he had missed meetings or had a bad attitude about something and Kubes was getting a message across to him. Whether he would have played as great as he did in that 2nd half is something we'll never know either way. Foster clearly did get the message though and hopefully learned that missing meetings won't be tolerated and that he won't get any special treatment while having another great game.

I've been pretty tough on Kubes and have never liked him a ton as a HC, but I liked what he did here and he deserves some credit. Nice decision by Kubes.

Rey
10-04-2010, 07:24 PM
I don't understand people being upset with this.

Lucky
10-04-2010, 07:39 PM
It's the whole, no one is bigger than the team philosophy. Everyone is supposed to make the required meetings, practices, film sessions, etc. on time. Pro Bowlers, Mario, DeMeco, A.J., and Schaub all do.
We have no idea what the meeting attendence records are for Mario, DeMeco, AJ, or Schaub. We can pretend like we do, and assume that Foster is the only one missing or being late to meetings. But, we don't really know for sure.

Star players are treated differently. Jimmy Johnson has admitted that was the case in Dallas, and I doubt that's much different than the majority of the league. That may not be the case in Houston. We don't really know. What we do know is that we rarely see this type of "punishment" in the NFL. That could mean several things. One, Arian Foster is the only player in the NFL missing meetings. Maybe other NFL teams don't care if players miss meetings? Or, the rest of the league handles this stuff internally.

Kubiak decided to let the football world know that Foster was screwing up by benching him for a quarter. That doesn't make it the right way to handle the situation. Or the wrong way. Just the Kubiak way. I really don't care how he handles it. If he does at all. That's Kubiak's problem. What I care about is if the Texans are winners, playoff participants, and Super Bowl champions.

The Texans won, are winning, and atop their division. That means Kubiak is doing the right thing.

Hardcore Texan
10-04-2010, 08:32 PM
We have no idea what the meeting attendence records are for Mario, DeMeco, AJ, or Schaub. We can pretend like we do, and assume that Foster is the only one missing or being late to meetings. But, we don't really know for sure.

Star players are treated differently. Jimmy Johnson has admitted that was the case in Dallas, and I doubt that's much different than the majority of the league. That may not be the case in Houston. We don't really know. What we do know is that we rarely see this type of "punishment" in the NFL. That could mean several things. One, Arian Foster is the only player in the NFL missing meetings. Maybe other NFL teams don't care if players miss meetings? Or, the rest of the league handles this stuff internally.

Kubiak decided to let the football world know that Foster was screwing up by benching him for a quarter. That doesn't make it the right way to handle the situation. Or the wrong way. Just the Kubiak way. I really don't care how he handles it. If he does at all. That's Kubiak's problem. What I care about is if the Texans are winners, playoff participants, and Super Bowl champions.

The Texans won, are winning, and atop their division. That means Kubiak is doing the right thing.

I have seen several coaches on several different teams do this exact same thing over the years. I think it's just a coaches way of sending a message, at the end of the day if you love to play football and that's taken away, it works.

The fact that Kubiak blew off the questions in the pressers (as far as I have seen) tells me he wanted to send a message and he kept it internal as possible. He didn't jump at the chance to explain it. Yes the football world now knows he did something to draw the ire of his coach, but no one really knows what went down. I am guessing Kubiak preferred it be handle completely on an internal level but benching your starting RB doesn't go un-noticed.

Texan_Bill
10-04-2010, 08:48 PM
I have seen several coaches on several different teams do this exact same thing over the years. I think it's just a coaches way of sending a message, at the end of the day if you love to play football and that's taken away, it works.

The fact that Kubiak blew off the questions in the pressers (as far as I have seen) tells me he wanted to send a message and he kept it internal as possible. He didn't jump at the chance to explain it. Yes the football world now knows he did something to draw the ire of his coach, but no one really knows what went down. I am guessing Kubiak preferred it be handle completely on an internal level but benching your starting RB doesn't go un-noticed.

Right, in fact when CBS asked the Texans during the game about Foster, the response was "It was a coaches decision". As in, "we are keeping this internal."

CretorFrigg
10-04-2010, 09:36 PM
EDIT: Sorry for the double post

CretorFrigg
10-04-2010, 09:37 PM

It shouldn't matter who you are. Star player or not, a professional football player should treat his job accordingly. If we make excuses for him, we'll only set a dangerous precedent in the future. Foster needs to be a responsible team player. And if I remember correctly, Foster has a history of missing team meetings which has me a bit concerned -- wasn't that what kept him from getting significant playing time last season?

With that said, I'm still a huge Foster fan. Go Texans! :kingkong:

Lucky
10-04-2010, 10:11 PM
It shouldn't matter who you are.
It shouldn't matter, in a perfect world. But in the real world (and the NFL), it does matter who you are. Would Big Ben still have a roster spot waiting after the crap he pulled if he were a fringe 3rd stringer?

Arian Foster is now an excellent example. Last year, Foster had a difficult time getting off the practice squad after skipping meetings. This year, as an established playmaker, Foster has to sit for a quarter. Foster's status and punishment, then and now, indicate there is a double standard between the good and not as good players.

Joe Texan
10-04-2010, 10:36 PM
I am relieved it worked out, I was mad that he did what he did but it worked out to be the right call. I will stick to my guns saying you guys that call me out would be the first to bring out the pink soap but are scared to admit that. Right call by Kubiak so a STFU to Joe texan

silvrhand
10-04-2010, 11:06 PM
I am relieved it worked out, I was mad that he did what he did but it worked out to be the right call. I will stick to my guns saying you guys that call me out would be the first to bring out the pink soap but are scared to admit that. Right call by Kubiak so a STFU to Joe texan

I'm stubborn to the end, I'm not a Kubiak fan, but if we make the playoffs this year I"ll take it down, cause like him or not then he's done something we have wanted a long time in this town.. playoffs..

dc_txtech
10-04-2010, 11:12 PM
I'm stubborn to the end, I'm not a Kubiak fan, but if we make the playoffs this year I"ll take it down, cause like him or not then he's done something we have wanted a long time in this town.. playoffs..

I'm stubborn to the end, I'm a big Kubiak fan, but if we don't make the playoffs this year I"ll take it down, cause like him or not then he hasn't done what we have wanted a long time in this town.. playoffs..

ChampionTexan
10-04-2010, 11:22 PM
It shouldn't matter, in a perfect world. But in the real world (and the NFL), it does matter who you are. Would Big Ben still have a roster spot waiting after the crap he pulled if he were a fringe 3rd stringer?

Arian Foster is now an excellent example. Last year, Foster had a difficult time getting off the practice squad after skipping meetings. This year, as an established playmaker, Foster has to sit for a quarter. Foster's status and punishment, then and now, indicate there is a double standard between the good and not as good players.

Does Foster have pictures of you (or with you)? You seem to have this conspiracy theory regarding Foster. And it seems like every time somebody brings up a specific instance, or a specific comment by Foster himself about his past, all you seem to have in response is questioning the accuracy of the claim (hint - there's several links in this thread proving that Foster's past problems are more than just the "everyone's against him for no good reason" mentality you seem to be intimating.

And Foster's not the only instance of the Texans taking a stand against this type of thing. Jacoby's missed flight of last year is the best known example. Tonight on Bernard Pollard's radio spot, I heard Jacoby say himself that as he was sitting home watching his team play on TV that day, he realized that he needed to do things differently, and take things more seriously. He credits it for turning his attitude towards the game around.

Yeah, Arian's shown great things in six games, but talent's not nearly as rare a thing in the NFL as some folks believe. Talent that ends up fully developed, that makes a long-term difference to a team's success, that results in a genuine NFL career is rare, and 4 or 5 or 6 really good games doesn't mean he's made that leap.

BullNation4Life
10-04-2010, 11:29 PM
I don't understand people being upset with this.

Because some folks would rather have high Fantasy Football points or only care about W's, no matter if the team starts to turn into the Bengals when it comes to discipline.

Foster needs to grow as a professional, not just a player. Him admitting his fault and saying it won't happen again, is the first step. The next step is keeping good on his word.

And for those I have read and heard saying " Uh Uh Kubiak wouldn't have sat Mario or AJ or Schaub if they missed a meeting, so why Foster?" You are correct, Kubiak would not have sat those guys because those guys would never put Kubiak nor the team in that kind of predicament. Those guys are professionals and wouldn't miss meeting or run late and if they were , I am quite sure they would have made arrangements before hand with Kubiak, because that is what professionals do...

Lucky
10-05-2010, 06:59 AM
Does Foster have pictures of you (or with you)?
That's the kind of stuff that's really uncalled for. Just stick to the topic.

I've just pointed out the difference in how discipline is meted out among the players. You bring up a good point regarding Jacoby missing the Jacksonville game. The return man and backup WR misses a game for the same offense that the starting RB misses a quarter. If that doesn't show the disparity between the star and not star players, what would?

What Foster has shown may not be rare to you. But, it's rarely been seen on this team. There's little doubt that Foster is the biggest reason this team sits at 3-1 and atop the AFC South. That's also rare.

ChampionTexan
10-05-2010, 08:16 AM
That's the kind of stuff that's really uncalled for. Just stick to the topic.

I've just pointed out the difference in how discipline is meted out among the players. You bring up a good point regarding Jacoby missing the Jacksonville game. The return man and backup WR misses a game for the same offense that the starting RB misses a quarter. If that doesn't show the disparity between the star and not star players, what would?

What Foster has shown may not be rare to you. But, it's rarely been seen on this team. There's little doubt that Foster is the biggest reason this team sits at 3-1 and atop the AFC South. That's also rare.

The picture thing was a joke - my apologies if it came across the wrong way.

Discipline is meted out differently all throughout society. People in power everywhere play favorites, and often are more concerned with their own personal well being, or the overall well being of their organization than the individual involved. Often times, the best interests of both the judge and the judged are alligned. Right or wrong, long-time valuable employees are going to be given more rope than the wet behind the ears trainee that started last month, but not as much as the person or persons responsible for the bulk of a company's revenue.

As to a previous comment about would other star players on this team be disciplined the same way - well, the list you mentioned (Mario, Demeco, AJ, Schaub) probably wouldn't be handled the same. They also have a track record that's far, far longer than Arian's.

I'm gonna say one last thing - something happened that caused Arian to go from being a projected 2nd round pick following his Junior season to actually being an UDFA after staying for his Senior year. I'm not going to sit back and assume that there's no possible way Arian's career could derail when there appear to be some signs for concern. Yeah, right now, he could be a franchise changer - I just don't see anything wrong with the Texans trying to keep him focused and driven.

Double Barrel
10-05-2010, 12:35 PM

The Coaches Show with Brian Billick and Jim Mora touched on the Foster situation, and they both disagreed with Kubiak's decision. They did not say he was "wrong", but just that they - as head coaches - would have handled it differently. The mentality was that when you sit a star player you are hurting the team and not just the player. The opted for a financial penalty and to handle it "in house" with a meeting with veteran leadership players so they can help influence the troubled player.

I don't understand the rush to judgment by some fans when someone else offers an opposing viewpoint or asks questions. It's like a herd of sheep sometimes where individuality is a lone wolf and is not welcomed. Bizarro.

Texanmike02
10-05-2010, 12:42 PM
Because some folks would rather have high Fantasy Football points or only care about W's, no matter if the team starts to turn into the Bengals when it comes to discipline.

Foster needs to grow as a professional, not just a player. Him admitting his fault and saying it won't happen again, is the first step. The next step is keeping good on his word.

And for those I have read and heard saying " Uh Uh Kubiak wouldn't have sat Mario or AJ or Schaub if they missed a meeting, so why Foster?" You are correct, Kubiak would not have sat those guys because those guys would never put Kubiak nor the team in that kind of predicament. Those guys are professionals and wouldn't miss meeting or run late and if they were , I am quite sure they would have made arrangements before hand with Kubiak, because that is what professionals do...

You've got to wonder though. If Andre pulled up 5 mins late to a meeting... after 8 years of never being late. That's not the same as a 2nd year guy with a history of being late for meetings being 5 minutes late.

Mike

Texanmike02
10-05-2010, 12:44 PM

Lucky. MSR. ^^^^THIS^^^^ and a lil more of ^^^^THIS^^^^

Mike

Texanmike02
10-05-2010, 12:46 PM
Does Foster have pictures of you (or with you)?

Dude. I have the pictures. How else to you think they let me stay around the board?

Pictures or not though, Lucky is right.

Mike

Texecutioner
10-05-2010, 01:21 PM
9 pages discussing this? Really?

Foster missed meetings, and there were consequences for it. End of story.

Hopefully he got the message. By looking at the way he played it seems like he did. Only time will tell. Either way Kubiak made the right decision and we're 3-1 now with Cush coming back. No one should be arguing about this really.

thunderkyss
10-05-2010, 01:34 PM
The Coaches Show with Brian Billick and Jim Mora touched on the Foster situation, and they both disagreed with Kubiak's decision. They did not say he was "wrong", but just that they - as head coaches - would have handled it differently. The mentality was that when you sit a star player you are hurting the team and not just the player. The opted for a financial penalty and to handle it "in house" with a meeting with veteran leadership players so they can help influence the troubled player.

I don't understand the rush to judgment by some fans when someone else offers an opposing viewpoint or asks questions. It's like a herd of sheep sometimes where individuality is a lone wolf and is not welcomed. Bizarro.

It's not so much a difference of opinion that is being challenged here.

It's things like this.

CloakNNNdagger
10-05-2010, 01:37 PM
Arizona Cardinals DL Dan Williams said he was deactivated for the team's Week 4 game because he weighed in at 329 pounds, two pounds heavier than head coach Ken Whisenhunt's designated mandate, according to Bob McManaman, of The Arizona Republic. "I've got to get back to work and make sure I don't drink those late-night Gatorades," was Williams' quote on Monday.

ObsiWan
10-05-2010, 01:56 PM

Did you notice that they're both out of work and Billick has been for a couple of years.
Billick had the luxury of having vets like Ray Lewis and Ed Reed and others police his locker room so crap like this would be less likely to occur. Mora, Jr. is a great judge of character and disciplinarian considering who he had (Mike Vick & DeAngelo Hall to name two) right under his nose for so long.

Marcus
10-05-2010, 02:21 PM

...“I take full responsibility,” he said. “I apologize to my teammates for it, and it won’t happen again.

“I’m still a human being — not to use that as an excuse, I still have to handle my business — but I slipped up and I’m assuring that it won’t happen again.” ...

Betcha he didn't. How many times has he said that?

Hopefully Foster is sincere in his words...this time

Oh, I imagine he was 'sincere' in his words all those other times in college, and last year when he couldn't make it off the practice squad. This reminds me of the alcoholic who is 'sincere' everytime he falls off the wagon.

So it turns out Kubiak benched him and fined him. Well, why, I guess some would ask, why didn't he just fine him and leave it at that? Does it really stretch someone's imagination to think maybe, just maybe, considering Foster's past history, that just fining him wouldn't have done a lick of good.

This benching, for all the world to see, reminds me of the "Missouri mule" tactic. With some people, you got to take a 4x4 and and bash it into his skull in order to get his attention. Now, will this work? I doubt it because I have zero faith that Foster will change his spots. But I give Kubiak an E for effort for at least trying. But the "message" is that Kubiak is worried about Foster, worried that he might not be able to depend on him.

We haven't heard the last of Arian Foster. And I DO NOT mean that in a good way.

dc_txtech
10-05-2010, 02:30 PM
It's not so much a difference of opinion that is being challenged here.

It's things like this.

Uh, that was a joke. I guess you haven't heard of Antoine Dodson?

thunderkyss
10-05-2010, 02:59 PM
Uh, that was a joke. I guess you haven't heard of Antoine Dodson?

No, I know yours was a joke, I saw the smilie, but it was the first one I saw..... no offense meant to you, but some people are extremely upset about what Kubiak did... even though it worked out, & Arian Foster responded as Jacoby did, positively.

dc_txtech
10-05-2010, 03:07 PM
No, I know yours was a joke, I saw the smilie, but it was the first one I saw..... no offense meant to you, but some people are extremely upset about what Kubiak did... even though it worked out, & Arian Foster responded as Jacoby did, positively.

Ok, right on.

I support Kubiak in his decision 100% and I think it was the right call if Foster hasn't been handling his business but I can see where some people might be upset about it. You're right that it worked out beautifully but what if it hadn't?

Say Ward comes in and coughs up the ball, then Slaton does the same and Oakland hops out to a quick 14-0 lead. Kubiak would be catching so much heat right now if that was the case and God forbid if we had lost the game because of it. That's the life of a coach though, when it works you're a genius, when it doesn't you're an asshat.

silvrhand
10-05-2010, 03:16 PM
wow this thread hasn't died yet..
:wadepalm:

Double Barrel
10-05-2010, 04:13 PM
Did you notice that they're both out of work and Billick has been for a couple of years.
Billick had the luxury of having vets like Ray Lewis and Ed Reed and others police his locker room so crap like this would be less likely to occur. Mora, Jr. is a great judge of character and disciplinarian considering who he had (Mike Vick & DeAngelo Hall to name two) right under his nose for so long.

Employment status means diddly squat. We have no idea if they even want to be coaches again, and I have no doubt that they have been offered coordinator positions at some point. Very few people have the experience of being a head coach in the NFL, so regardless of their career stats, I still think their perspectives have merit and might be - perhaps - why they have a tv show and you and I do not.

Funny that you'd mention Mora & Vick. Did you see the interview between them on NFL Network? Very interesting.

I guess by your logic, Kubiak is a "bad judge of character" since two of his starters have been suspended four games this season. Yeaaaah, riiiiiiiight. :ok:

Betcha he didn't. How many times has he said that?

Oh, I imagine he was 'sincere' in his words all those other times in college, and last year when he couldn't make it off the practice squad. This reminds me of the alcoholic who is 'sincere' everytime he falls off the wagon.

So it turns out Kubiak benched him and fined him. Well, why, I guess some would ask, why didn't he just fine him and leave it at that? Does it really stretch someone's imagination to think maybe, just maybe, considering Foster's past history, that just fining him wouldn't have done a lick of good.

This benching, for all the world to see, reminds me of the "Missouri mule" tactic. With some people, you got to take a 4x4 and and bash it into his skull in order to get his attention. Now, will this work? I doubt it because I have zero faith that Foster will change his spots. But I give Kubiak an E for effort for at least trying. But the "message" is that Kubiak is worried about Foster, worried that he might not be able to depend on him.

We haven't heard the last of Arian Foster. And I DO NOT mean that in a good way.

I tend to agree that a leopard doesn't suddenly change his spots. We can hope that the kid matures quickly, but I am more inclined toward your perspective that this won't be the last time we hear from the 'bad Arian Foster'.

ObsiWan
10-05-2010, 04:58 PM
[quote=Double Barrel;1542253]Employment status means diddly squat. We have no idea if they even want to be coaches again, and I have no doubt that they have been offered coordinator positions at some point. Very few people have the experience of being a head coach in the NFL, so regardless of their career stats, I still think their perspectives have merit and might be - perhaps - why they have a tv show and you and I do not.

Funny that you'd mention Mora & Vick. Did you see the interview between them on NFL Network? Very interesting.

I guess by your logic, Kubiak is a "bad judge of character" since two of his starters have been suspended four games this season. Yeaaaah, riiiiiiiight. :ok:
quote]

Well to my knowledge, none of Kubiak's Kids have done jail time (Vick) or appeared in court to duck a murder rap (Ray Lewis).

But in Mora's defense - meaning I did see the interview so perhaps I shouldn't have been so hard on him - M. Vick had most of the NFL fooled too. Who knows, if "his boys" hadn't ratted him out, Vick might still be funding that dog-fighting ring.

The fact that the NFL network has a coaches show (I think they rotate Mariucci in there too) isn't super impressive. It's either that or keep replaying those NFL Film bloopers. To tell the truth, I was a bit disappointed in it. It isn't any more insightful than the breakdowns we see from Sterling Sharpe, et. al on "Playbook".

Bottom Line: There is obviously more than one way to handle what the HC perceives as a player discipline issue. I would think that whichever way is chosen by the HC depends on seriousness of the infraction, whether said player is a "repeat offender", and what message the coach is sending to the player and ultimately the team. IMHO, if you fail to fine/suspend "Player A" for a rules infraction because he's the stud and you're scared you might lose a game without him, then you just sent a msg to your team your fundamental principles are for sale.
Just my opinion.
:twocents:

Double Barrel
10-05-2010, 05:14 PM
Well to my knowledge, none of Kubiak's Kids have done jail time (Vick) or appeared in court to duck a murder rap (Ray Lewis).

yeah, I agree. The Texans FO has done a great job over the years of doing their background homework, and even during the Capers years we never really had any 'bad boy' players.

Kinda' funny that you used Ray Lewis as a positive influence example earlier, tho'. :winky:

But in Mora's defense - meaning I did see the interview so perhaps I shouldn't have been so hard on him - M. Vick had most of the NFL fooled too. Who knows, if "his boys" hadn't ratted him out, Vick might still be funding that dog-fighting ring.

yeah, I was actually impressed that both Mora and Vick did that interview. Mora didn't pull any punches and expressed a severe disappointment that Vick had to face, which I thought he did a good job of manning up.

My jury is still out on Vick, but I'm starting to believe that he's a changed man and I can't hold a grudge against someone that has paid the price and changed their heart and mind on fundamental levels.

I don't think anyone really had a clue about the real Vick before it went down, and his image was selling everything at the time.

The fact that the NFL network has a coaches show (I think they rotate Mariucci in there too) isn't super impressive. It's either that or keep replaying those NFL Film bloopers. To tell the truth, I was a bit disappointed in it. It isn't any more insightful than the breakdowns we see from Sterling Sharpe, et. al on "Playbook".

I know what you're saying, and in some respects I agree. I tend to view the show as more of coaches talking about what goes on inside the heads of coaches more than anything else. They talked about game/time management, big calls, discipline, and stuff that is directly related to coaching decisions. I like Playbook, as well, so I think that NFLN doesn't want shows doing the exact same thing so they have created The Coaches Show for a coaching perspective. At least, that's how I have perceived it. But I get what you're saying and good points.

Bottom Line: There is obviously more than one way to handle what the HC perceives as a player discipline issue. I would think that whichever way is chosen by the HC depends on seriousness of the infraction, whether said player is a "repeat offender", and what message the coach is sending to the player and ultimately the team. IMHO, if you fail to fine/suspend "Player A" for a rules infraction because he's the stud and you're scared you might lose a game without him, then you just sent a msg to your team your fundamental principles are for sale.
Just my opinion.

I agree completely. And like I said before, I don't disagree with Kubiak's decision. He's the HC and he obviously felt compelled to do something that needed to be done. Hopefully it works out with positive results over the long run.

I just posted the blurb about The Coaches Show as more perspectives to the story, to sort of broaden the horizon of opinions and chatter.

ObsiWan
10-05-2010, 05:28 PM
yeah, I agree. The Texans FO has done a great job over the years of doing their background homework, and even during the Capers years we never really had any 'bad boy' players.

Kinda' funny that you used Ray Lewis as a positive influence example earlier, tho'. :winky:
"Sugar" Ray learned a hard lesson from that bad experience and it probably went a long way in making him the team leader he has become.

and did I mention you read too damned close
:D

yeah, I was actually impressed that both Mora and Vick did that interview. Mora didn't pull any punches and expressed a severe disappointment that Vick had to face, which I thought he did a good job of manning up.

My jury is still out on Vick, but I'm starting to believe that he's a changed man and I can't hold a grudge against someone that has paid the price and changed their heart and mind on fundamental levels.

I don't think anyone really had a clue about the real Vick before it went down, and his image was selling everything at the time.

That interview was outstanding, IMHO. Vick thought he had everyone fooled. He even fooled himself. ...for a while.

I agree completely. And like I said before, I don't disagree with Kubiak's decision. He's the HC and he obviously felt compelled to do something that needed to be done. Hopefully it works out with positive results over the long run.
I hope so too. But players today are more and more media savvy. They know what the public expects to hear and try and say it. We'll see if Foster "toes the line" from now on. Words are easy. Actions, not so much.

thunderkyss
10-05-2010, 05:54 PM
Just my opinion.

It's also my understanding that Arian missed/late for a meeting two weeks ago, and was fined. Then he was late/missed a meeting last week, and was then benched (may have been fined again as well).

I think it's way to early for him to start acting like a prima Donna, & to bench him was the exactly right thing to do. Slaton & Ward having good games was a plus, because Foster has got to be thinking maybe he is replaceable.

I do agree with you though, this move clearly makes Kubiak the Alpha Dog. If I were the head coach, I'd hate to be fired if I weren't the Alpha, like Mora/Vick.