View Full Version : VY is 28-15 all time in NFL as starter

Hookem Horns
10-01-2010, 06:04 PM
However he is 6-11 vs teams .500 and above

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/15904/reality-check-vince-young

Discuss :kitten:

Texecutioner
10-01-2010, 06:13 PM
This is just going to turn into a bash VY thread.

He's had many highs and many lows. It's hard to say what he'll do in the future. The remainder of this season should definitely tell us though.

PS. Love that new sig by the way.

Texan_Bill
10-01-2010, 06:58 PM
I like half of his avatar! ;)

Double Barrel
10-01-2010, 07:06 PM
I'm not going to badmouth VY, because he always tends to disprove whatever I say about him.

hmmm....with that in mind, he's really one of the NFL's greats and his Hall of Fame career is amazing! :evil:

Hookem Horns
10-01-2010, 07:11 PM
I like half of his avatar! ;)

The half that has horns on it?

brakos82
10-01-2010, 07:26 PM

Yeah, bottom half sucks. :cutthroat:

eriadoc
10-01-2010, 07:30 PM
Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer won Super Bowls. Rex Grossman took his team to the Super Bowl. Kerry Collins has taken multiple teams to the playoffs. Jake Delhomme took his team to a Super Bowl. Neil O'Donnell took his team to a Super Bowl.

I mean, we can do this all day.

Texan_Bill
10-01-2010, 08:09 PM

:lol: Right, a certain half that has horns!!!

mattieuk
10-01-2010, 09:35 PM
This is just going to turn into a bash VY thread.

He's had many highs and many lows. It's hard to say what he'll do in the future. The remainder of this season should definitely tell us though.

PS. Love that new sig by the way.

You say that like it's a bad thing ;)

Goatcheese
10-01-2010, 10:24 PM
Wins and losses are not QB stats. :rake:

Dutchrudder
10-01-2010, 11:26 PM
This is like saying a pitcher with 15 wins is awesome without even considering his 5+ ERA, or in the case of Roy Oswalt, a pitcher with 6 wins and 11 losses sucks despite his ERA of 2.

Showtime100
10-01-2010, 11:38 PM
This is like saying a pitcher with 15 wins is awesome without even considering his 5+ ERA, or in the case of Roy Oswalt, a pitcher with 6 wins and 11 losses sucks despite his ERA of 2.

Yep. Just ask Felix Hernandez of the Mariners.

houstonspartan
10-01-2010, 11:56 PM
Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer won Super Bowls. Rex Grossman took his team to the Super Bowl. Kerry Collins has taken multiple teams to the playoffs. Jake Delhomme took his team to a Super Bowl. Neil O'Donnell took his team to a Super Bowl.

Exactly

BattleRedToro
10-02-2010, 01:03 AM
Are you sure he has 14 losses? How can that be? All Vince does is win.

infantrycak
10-02-2010, 09:00 AM

The most simply stated and correct statement.

Archie Manning was 35 and 101 for his career. I'm thinking he managed to pass some wisdom on to his children. Maybe like go to a good team.

THE NFL
10-02-2010, 11:57 AM
Matt Schaub is a better passing QB than VY and I am sure his starting W/L record against all teams and expecially .500 teams is alot worse than VY's.

QB's get too muych credit for the wins and too much blame for the losses.

VY is a football player, you cant dispute that.

Marcus
10-02-2010, 12:14 PM
The God-like worship is what produces the haterade, folks.

I hope he breaks both of his **** ing legs every time he plays. Nothing personal against Vince himself. It's these teassips that worship him like a God to this very day. It's the most rediculous thing I've ever seen.

texanhead08
10-02-2010, 04:56 PM
The bigger question is do you think he is a good QB. I don't think he is. I don't see good QB's getting benched after a bad half. I think the W/L record has more to do with the Tacks running game and defense than VY.

thunderkyss
10-02-2010, 05:09 PM
The bigger question is do you think he is a good QB. I don't think he is. I don't see good QB's getting benched after a bad half. I think the W/L record has more to do with the Tacks running game and defense than VY.

Do you think the Tacks would've turned things around after starting 0-6 had Collins continued as their starting QB?

I don't.

Did the schedule get any easier? Heck, we layed down on MNF when VY came to Reliant.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of Sausage Boy, couldn't care less if he ever plays another game in the NFL. But until we beat him, it is better for us if people do believe in that "it" factor, otherwise we just suck.

Rey
10-02-2010, 10:04 PM

The most simply stated and correct statement.

Archie Manning was 35 and 101 for his career. I'm thinking he managed to pass some wisdom on to his children. Maybe like go to a good team.

All of that is true. Won't deny any of that.

VY has not been a good QB.

BUT, I would look at the Colts offense and the Saints defense last year (yes I reference these two things a lot).

Saints gave up a lot of yards but they made plays at opportune times...Colts couldn't run on a regular basis, but their offense was still effective despite that...If they needed to run to get into the endzone or get a first down they were able to do that for the most part...

Wins and losses don't solely belong to any one specific player, but could some of their success lie at VY's ability to make plays at opportune times? His overall play has been nothing to write home about, but he has made plays.

Again, not disagreeing with you all, just wanted to get your thoughts on that aspect?

ArlingtonTexan
10-02-2010, 10:34 PM
Way too much talk about an average to okay NFL QB from both the lovers and haters. Get over the guy, great high school and college career and will probably (90-95% chance) never be a Houston Texan.

The Pencil Neck
10-02-2010, 11:07 PM
Matt Schaub is 19-19 as a starter with the Texans. (And 0-2 as a starter with the Falcons. I'm disregarding his 2 starts as a Falcon for the rest of this discussion.) He is 7-14 against teams that are 500+. That's a 33% winning percentage vs. VY's 35% winning percentage. It's interesting that they've both started the same number of games (if you throw out Matt's 2 starts in Atlanta.)

In his first season, he went 4-7. The winning percentage of the teams he beat was 30% and of the teams he lost to 61%. He beat 2 7-9 teams his first year and that was as good as it got. We also lost to a 4-12 team that year, all the other teams that beat us were 10+ wins.

In his second season, he went 6-5 as a starter. The winning percentage of the teams he beat was 45% and of the teams he lost to was 56%. He beat 3 teams over .500 (11-5, 13-3, and 9-7) and 2 of the teams he lost to were sub .500 (both 5-11). The other teams he lost to were all 10+ wins (Vikings, Titans, and Steelers.)

Last year, he went 9-7 as a starter. The winning percentage of the teams he beat was 42% and the teams he lost to was 62%. The only losses against sub .500 teams were the two against the Jags. He beat 2 teams with winning records, the rest were 500 or less.

We need to get more wins and more wins against quality opponents. Last year, we pretty much took care of the guys we should have beaten (except for the Jags) while in previous years we had let-downs and lost to some weak teams. We need to take care of business against the people we're supposed to beat and if we can continue picking up a couple of wins against the 9+ win teams as well, we'll be fine. I mean, if we had beaten the Jags last year (both times), we would have been 11-5 and no one would be bitching about much of anything.

eriadoc
10-03-2010, 09:42 AM
In his first season, he went 4-7. The winning percentage of the teams he beat was 30% and of the teams he lost to 61%. He beat 2 7-9 teams his first year and that was as good as it got. We also lost to a 4-12 team that year, all the other teams that beat us were 10+ wins.

In his second season, he went 6-5 as a starter. The winning percentage of the teams he beat was 45% and of the teams he lost to was 56%. He beat 3 teams over .500 (11-5, 13-3, and 9-7) and 2 of the teams he lost to were sub .500 (both 5-11). The other teams he lost to were all 10+ wins (Vikings, Titans, and Steelers.)

Wow, Matt's been a busy dude. What the hell have those other 52 slackers been doing? Jeez!

By the way, Andre Johnson is 52-76 as a starter. What a loser.

thunderkyss
10-03-2010, 09:57 AM
Wow, Matt's been a busy dude. What the hell have those other 52 slackers been doing? Jeez!

What's Jacoby's percentage?

Maybe it's time for a change??!

The Pencil Neck
10-03-2010, 11:42 AM

Come on, man. You know what I mean.

Everybody always puts the wins and losses on the QB. It's not right but it's what happens.

dc_txtech
10-03-2010, 11:40 PM
Can we get an edit on the title? Should read "VY is 24-16 all time in NFL as starter".:pop:

Hookem Horns
10-03-2010, 11:44 PM
Can we get an edit on the title? Should read "VY is 24-16 all time in NFL as starter".:pop:

Nope, I am way ahead of you. It was 24-14 before today. As soon as the clock went to 00:00 in Nashville I edited the title from 24-14 to 24-15. ;)

Norg
10-03-2010, 11:51 PM
He also never loses to the texans ........

imatexan
10-04-2010, 01:22 AM
Nope, I am way ahead of you. It was 24-14 before today. As soon as the clock went to 00:00 in Nashville I edited the title from 24-14 to 24-15. ;)

Im confused, in the video he says VY record is 28-14(now would be 28-15)?

Did he get it wrong or did you type it wrong orrrrr am I hearing wrong?

brakos82
10-04-2010, 01:36 AM
Something's wrong in this thread...

Hookem Horns
10-04-2010, 01:47 AM
Im confused, in the video he says VY record is 28-14(now would be 28-15)?

Did he get it wrong or did you type it wrong orrrrr am I hearing wrong?

Fixed, it was a typo.

Seņor Stan
10-04-2010, 04:30 AM
Kareem Jackson in 3-1 as a starter. That's a .750 winning percentage!

THE NFL
10-04-2010, 07:26 AM
3-1 and the worst defense in the NFL.

How long do you think the Texans will keep winning with the worst defense in the NFL?

Now long.. the hard games are about to start.

chicagotexan2
10-04-2010, 07:47 AM
The Titans are 28-15 inspite of having VY as a starter.

Dutchrudder
10-04-2010, 10:28 AM

How long do you think the Texans will keep winning with the worst defense in the NFL?

http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww49/texanbrando/171972982-38deed3c61944aa0e26c243675af8ccc4ca8cba8-full.jpg

disaacks3
10-04-2010, 10:44 AM

Now long.. the hard games are about to start. So these first four have all been against pansies? Riiiight :fingergun:

dbruder44
10-04-2010, 10:58 AM

Was wondering why you disappeared on the other MB, came here to spew your stuff, how CJ1K doing, how about Foster not making 1600 yards looking now????

If the Tacks can't close out the Buttdonkeys when the broncos have 19 yards of rushing and the tacks get a 98 yard kick-off return how does our second half become hard we play them twice.

Two against the Jags, still don't think they have the consistency to compete.

That leave the Jets and Ravens as the only real tough games in the second half, and my guess if we'll go atleast 4-4 in the second half, probably 5-3

Stemp
10-04-2010, 11:14 AM
The Titans are 28-15 inspite of having VY as a starter.

This.

Dread-Head
10-04-2010, 11:17 AM
Matt Schaub is a better passing QB than VY and I am sure his starting W/L record against all teams and expecially .500 teams is alot worse than VY's.

QB's get too muych credit for the wins and too much blame for the losses.

VY is a football player, you cant dispute that.

...a football player who got MANHANDLED by the Steelers' defense!

Dread-Head
10-04-2010, 11:21 AM

The Colts? Total wimps. That Superbowl a few years back was a fluke right?

The Skins? Yeah. Most teams who are total chumps drag you into overtime. And they're only tied for the lead in their division.

Raiders? Their RB's and Receivers were playing like crap. You're right, the Texans suck.

No offense here pal, but who "The Vugg" are you?

Honoring Earl 34
10-04-2010, 11:21 AM
The NFL plans on taking CJ out of the equation and let VY try to beat them . He now puts up HWNSNBR type numbers .

Against the Steelers , CJ got the ball even when he went to the sideline . Looks like the old days when it was one look to AJ .

Texan_Bill
10-04-2010, 11:22 AM
Wait, what?? Not 33-0???

Very disappointing!

b0ng
10-04-2010, 11:25 AM

Brad Johnson was actually semi-decent. Also, out of all those you named, only Johnson and Dilfer won the big game and both of those were due to having the best defense in the league hands down those years. Right now I don't think the Titans have the horses on D to keep every team under 17 points a game.

Honoring Earl 34
10-04-2010, 11:29 AM
Wait, what?? Not 33-0???

Very disappointing!

Probably the kicker missed last second FGs or the defense couldn't hold the lead as time ran out .

Mr teX
10-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Everyone in the league knows what this guy is...a mediocre qb at best. Its just the VY nut huggers & certain titans fans who actually think this guy can still avoid the big "B" word.

silvrhand
10-04-2010, 01:23 PM
waiting for the inevitable "the texans should have drafted him" comment..

Dread-Head
10-04-2010, 01:26 PM
waiting for the inevitable "the texans should have drafted him" comment..

The muff-hugga NEEDS to go back to his old job. My trash hasn't been picked up on time since he left.

thunderkyss
10-04-2010, 01:31 PM
The muff-hugga NEEDS to go back to his old job. My trash hasn't been picked up on time since he left.

Are we still talking about VY? I didn't think he was into muff-hugg'n....

:hobie:

Dread-Head
10-04-2010, 01:32 PM
Are we still talking about VY? I didn't think he was into muff-hugg'n....

:hobie:

:lol:

Bulluck53
10-05-2010, 12:52 AM
If I counted correctly and Arizona does not run one, VY has never beat a 3-4 defense.

I'm not too hard on the guy since he isnt asked to do much but there are still things he hasn't been able to grasp, and in his 5th season he should be much more mature. I do believe Fisher doesn't trust him and should give him a longer leash.

The Pencil Neck
10-05-2010, 12:56 AM
If I counted correctly and Arizona does not run one, VY has never beat a 3-4 defense.

I'm not too hard on the guy since he isnt asked to do much but there are still things he hasn't been able to grasp, and in his 5th season he should be much more mature. I do believe Fisher doesn't him and should give him a longer leash.

Arizona runs a 3-4 for the most part, iirc. They will play a 4-3 situationally but they're primarily a 3-4 team now. When they went to the SB, they were mostly a 4-3 team that played 3-4 situationally.

Bulluck53
10-05-2010, 12:59 AM
OK, so VY has defeated one (1) 3-4 defense in his career, again if my count is correct... and thats one thats not really known to rush the passer. Thats pretty crazy, Dallas could be interesting.

Hookem Horns
10-05-2010, 01:12 AM
OK, so VY has defeated one (1) 3-4 defense in his career, again if my count is correct... and thats one thats not really known to rush the passer. Thats pretty crazy, Dallas could be interesting.

That was a pretty impressive defeat too. He looked like the UT VY on that last drive vs the Cards.

BTW, many UT fans think Fisher is trying to ruin his career ..lol. I think Fisher just doesn't like the guy and is being forced to play him by Bud. The best thing for VY would be for Fisher to get fired or for him to get traded.

I am still holding out hope that VY will play for the Redskins some day.

Bulluck53
10-05-2010, 01:22 AM
That was a pretty impressive defeat too. He looked like the UT VY on that last drive vs the Cards.

BTW, many UT fans think Fisher is trying to ruin his career ..lol. I think Fisher just doesn't like the guy and is being forced to play him by Bud. The best thing for VY would be for Fisher to get fired or for him to get traded.

I am still holding out hope that VY will play for the Redskins some day.

Ha it is very impressive until I factor in that he was playing a Matt Leinart-led Cardinals team, but that's not really his fault.

I agree with you and think its a combination of Fisher not liking him (VY wasn't his choice) and Fisher truly not trusting him after the '09 debacle and his overall progression. I think the latter can be blamed on Fisher himself, though, because his distrust is not allowing the game plan to be expanded for VY.

I do think VY could be more successful as a passer because he has shown improvement. He may be better served to play under a different coach, like you said.

And as someone wrote above, I would not label him a bust by any means.

eriadoc
10-05-2010, 09:00 AM
Brad Johnson was actually semi-decent. Also, out of all those you named, only Johnson and Dilfer won the big game and both of those were due to having the best defense in the league hands down those years. Right now I don't think the Titans have the horses on D to keep every team under 17 points a game.

I think you sort of missed the point of my post. ;)

Texan_Bill
10-05-2010, 09:23 AM

Thank you ladies and gentlemen, Dread-Head will be performing all week.

*APLAUSE*

Dutchrudder
10-05-2010, 09:53 AM
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/9/1/a8bf3a0e-e7ae-4a43-b66a-c9d902d7a13a.gif

Dutchrudder
10-05-2010, 10:20 AM
http://chzupnextinsports.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/funny-sports-pictures-vince-young-favoritism-discretion.jpg

cuppacoffee
10-05-2010, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE NFL

http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww49/texanbrando/171972982-38deed3c61944aa0e26c243675af8ccc4ca8cba8-full.jpg

I haven't laughed so much in a long time.

:coffee:

Mr teX
10-05-2010, 12:36 PM
check my sig..that'll really get you laughing about this dude.

cuppacoffee
10-05-2010, 06:36 PM
You tube and other videos do not do well on this dial up piece of krap.

Seriously considering chucking at&t phones and going all verizon including internet. Could be fitted into budget if I cancel at&t and aol. I don't think at&t has any intention to making high speed available here in the boondocks.

Only drawback is the boss is old fashioned and thinks she has to have land line phone.

Working on it daily.

JB
10-05-2010, 07:38 PM

Seriously considering chucking at&t phones and going all verizon including internet. Could be fitted into budget if I cancel at&t and aol. I don't think at&t has any intention to making high speed available here in the boondocks.

Only drawback is the boss is old fashioned and thinks she has to have land line phone.

Working on it daily.

Verizon can handle all of it... including land line phone.

Texan_Bill
10-05-2010, 07:46 PM
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/9/1/a8bf3a0e-e7ae-4a43-b66a-c9d902d7a13a.gif

:spit: Repped!

Texan_Bill
10-05-2010, 07:47 PM
http://chzupnextinsports.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/funny-sports-pictures-vince-young-favoritism-discretion.jpg

Holy ****e!!! :lol: Can't rep this one, only one per customer.

JB
10-05-2010, 07:52 PM
Holy ****e!!! :lol: Can't rep this one, only one per customer.

Got him for us!

Texan_Bill
10-05-2010, 07:54 PM
Uncle Rico is a classic:

http://www.deadspin.com/sports/vinceyoung.gif

The only fallacy is the accuracy!

JB
10-05-2010, 08:08 PM
Uncle Rico is a classic:

http://www.deadspin.com/sports/vinceyoung.gif

The only fallacy is the accuracy!

:lol:

BigBull17
10-05-2010, 08:25 PM

Zona isn't a very good 3-4 team, honestly.

Pollardized
10-05-2010, 08:27 PM
vince just wants everyone to wuv him as much as mack did:

http://img.coxnewsweb.com/C/09/65/72/image_1472659.jpg

thunderkyss
10-05-2010, 09:18 PM

Working on it daily.

Happy birthday cup....

cuppacoffee
10-06-2010, 04:50 PM
Happy birthday cup....

Thanks tk

BattleRedToro
10-10-2010, 09:12 AM
Ha it is very impressive until I factor in that he was playing a Matt Leinart-led Cardinals team, but that's not really his fault.

I agree with you and think its a combination of Fisher not liking him (VY wasn't his choice) and Fisher truly not trusting him after the '09 debacle and his overall progression. I think the latter can be blamed on Fisher himself, though, because his distrust is not allowing the game plan to be expanded for VY.

I do think VY could be more successful as a passer because he has shown improvement. He may be better served to play under a different coach, like you said.

And as someone wrote above, I would not label him a bust by any means.

I think he could be better utilized on a team with a Head Coach that allows his Offensive Coordinator to be more creative, such as Miami. I think VY might excel in the Wildcat offense or some other offensive system that would involve an option running scheme more often. You can't try to make him into something he is not, a conventional dropback QB. He'll never be that. He isn't smart enough, or mature enough, and his throwing mechanics are terrible. He should be moving on every down or almost every down. The Titans should have tried a Veer package when they had Vince Young, Chris Johnson and LenDale White.

Bulluck53
10-12-2010, 12:55 AM
I don't believe an offense based on the option or a veer would work in the NFL. The defenders are just too fast, and especially now in this league you have to be able to throw the ball to win consistently. The Wildcat is for offenses who need a spark, good offenses don't use it, and no team uses it as a primary set. I think they're trying to develop him into something he's not because what he is won't work in the NFL, JMO.

He definitely could be better utilized, I agree about getting him into space but the problem has been his accuracy on short passes. Recently VY has improved in the short passing game but if you watched the Dallas game yesterday the first plays of each half were just terrible throws. He has trouble... I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if it's his footwork or he has no touch or what, but I imagine boot-legs and the like would compound whatever the problem is. The coaches do some interesting things with him and CJ but it's almost always in the run game.

Hookem Horns
10-12-2010, 02:07 AM
He definitely could be better utilized, I agree about getting him into space but the problem has been his accuracy on short passes. Recently VY has improved in the short passing game but if you watched the Dallas game yesterday the first plays of each half were just terrible throws. He has trouble... I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if it's his footwork or he has no touch or what, but I imagine boot-legs and the like would compound whatever the problem is. The coaches do some interesting things with him and CJ but it's almost always in the run game.

One thing about VY is he often gets real lucky. On this play http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUHqIFjFunI it looks like he just threw it up for grabs and his guy comes down with it.

Bulluck53
10-12-2010, 11:26 AM
I agree, he went off his back foot while falling away from the endzone. Weird play.

BigBull17
10-12-2010, 11:44 AM
I don't believe an offense based on the option or a veer would work in the NFL. The defenders are just too fast, and especially now in this league you have to be able to throw the ball to win consistently. The Wildcat is for offenses who need a spark, good offenses don't use it, and no team uses it as a primary set. I think they're trying to develop him into something he's not because what he is won't work in the NFL, JMO.

I think if we had drafted VY he would be a more accomplished QB and would be decent in our system. He needs an offense with a run game with alot of boots and rolling pockets. He has the run game, but they don't get real creative in the play action game. That being said, he hasn't developed well and is not worth the 1st pick in a draft.

THE NFL
10-12-2010, 01:47 PM
One thing about VY is he often gets real lucky. On this play http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUHqIFjFunI it looks like he just threw it up for grabs and his guy comes down with it.

YOu mean likes Matt Schaubs throw to AJ in the Redskins game? That kind of lucky? Matt throws ball like that all the time.

QB s do that now. With the bigger receivers they just throw it up and let the guys go get it. Its not lucky, its just what they do.

Look at Favre and Moss lastnite.

Bulluck53
10-12-2010, 02:44 PM
Haha, Washington is just over 6'0" and was double covered. Not sure that fits your situation.

Dutchrudder
10-12-2010, 02:54 PM
Haha, Washington is just over 6'0" and was double covered. Not sure that fits your situation.

Probably not. His 'situation' is merely to troll and be the anti-Texans contrarian to the extreme. He only comes here to bash the Texans or defend the Titans.

Mr teX
10-12-2010, 03:04 PM
YOu mean likes Matt Schaubs throw to AJ in the Redskins game? That kind of lucky? Matt throws ball like that all the time.

QB s do that now. With the bigger receivers they just throw it up and let the guys go get it. Its not lucky, its just what they do.

come on dude, that was completely different.

1st: schaub squared up & threw it he didn't chunk it off his backfoot like Vincent.....

2nd: Schaub was throwing to arguably the best WR in the game....not to some 2nd string dude like Nate Washington.

3rd: AJ was single covered in the zone...much better odds...not tripled covered like washington was.

Tell me, do you just spout off the 1st piece of garbage that comes to your mind, or do you actually think before you post?

BigBull17
10-13-2010, 11:28 AM

Hmm, best receiver in the NFL, or Washington...You throw it up on 4th down to your best player. A single covered best receiver in the game. Covered by a back up safety single covered best receiver in the game. It is a little different my friend.