PDA

View Full Version : New Tailgate Policy

JWarren14
09-30-2010, 05:33 PM
Link (http://www.houstontexans.com/gameday/tailgating/policy.html)

New Policy: The Houston Texans announced a new revision to their gameday ticket policy. Effective immediately the Houston Texans will require all fans who wish to enter Reliant Stadium or its parking lots to possess a gameday ticket.

Not sure how they will check everyone, but FYI.

jaayteetx
09-30-2010, 05:38 PM
Sounds good to me.

Double Barrel
09-30-2010, 05:40 PM
whoah! I know quit a few folks who watch the games in the parking lot. This news is going to jolt a lot of people in a couple of weeks!

What happens if you are meeting someone at the game who has your ticket??

NitroGSXR
09-30-2010, 05:40 PM
Link (http://www.houstontexans.com/gameday/tailgating/policy.html)

Not sure how they will check everyone, but FYI.

Looks like they'll start kicking stragglers out DURING the game.

Not a fan of this policy. I will absolutely come in EARLY for the Giants game in case they start demanding we who our tickets when so enter. I'll bank om delays while folks rummage through their glove boxes looking for their tickets.

Rey
09-30-2010, 05:41 PM
Wow...I know someone who tailgates in the Orange lot and hardly ever actually goes into the game...

He's been doing it for a while...I know he's going to be a bit upset...

Lauren
09-30-2010, 05:42 PM
Say 2 groups of friends from different areas of town both have Orange passes. Say Group A has two extra seats for people coming with Group B. They plan on giving them the tickets when they meet up in the parking lot.

How would that be handled?

jaayteetx
09-30-2010, 05:44 PM
Blame it on the violence, its better than no tailgating at all right? Like the old Astrodome days.

Double Barrel
09-30-2010, 05:44 PM
Lauren, I honestly don't think the front office really cares about specific scenarios.

NitroGSXR
09-30-2010, 05:45 PM
Say 2 groups of friends from different areas of town both have Orange passes. Say Group A has two extra seats for people coming with Group B. They plan on giving them the tickets when they meet up in the parking lot.

Basically, they'd be JB'ed and told to watch the game from their hotel room..

jaayteetx
09-30-2010, 05:46 PM
I honestly don't see how they can enforce it though, at least not for people who would park in the cash lot or somewhere else and walk over to meet friends at a tailgate.

DerekLee1
I think the issue is people that don't have a parking pass OR a ticket to the game. Strangers are just wandering over to the tailgates and joining in the parties, with neither tickets to the game OR a parking pass. I would imagine that if you have a parking pass, it should suffice as a "team-issued credential". I don't think they're going to be stopping people with parking passes from entering the parking lot.

JWarren14
Not sure of the special circumstances, I don't think they will question people who are behaving, but if people are being asses and they don't have a game ticket PEACE.

Also it says on the link that season ticket holders can buy "guest" tickets for $10 that will allow people into the parking lots.

Lauren
Lauren, I honestly don't think the front office really cares about specific scenarios.
I honestly think you're right.

TxDavid
09-30-2010, 06:01 PM
Looks like this is because of people staying too long after the games.
Season ticket holders will be able to buy "tailgate passes" for $10 each.

Here's the e-mail I received - I bolded the important parts:

Dear Season Ticket Holder,

Thank you for your support. You have helped us to create one of the finest sporting experiences in the world, and we are working hard to maintain this standard of excellence for you.

This past weekend we had our largest crowd in franchise history. While we were disappointed with how the game turned out, we are proud of the tremendous crowd support and are appreciative of our great fans like you that made it happen. We also had some significant challenges last Sunday, including traffic, parking and fan behavior in our parking areas. These issues were due primarily to the large number of non-ticketed individuals in our stadium parking lots before, during and, especially, after the game.
Non-ticketed tailgating at Reliant Park on Texans game days has been a growing trend that has become increasingly problematic for us and we have heard complaints from many of our season ticket holders regarding the impact this is having on the quality of their game day experience. It has reached a point that we do not believe we can offer the world-class game day atmosphere you have come to expect from us if we allow this to continue. The tailgating environment we provide has been recognized as the best in the NFL and was established for the enjoyment of you and our other ticketed patrons. So, in order to ensure a great game day experience for you, we will implement the following policy:

All visitors to Reliant Park MUST have a game ticket or other team-issued credential to be on the Reliant Park grounds on Houston Texans home game days.
Please understand that this policy was created after careful study and is a necessary step in order for us to continue to provide you with the fun, festive and friendly environment you have come to expect from us in our parking lots on game day. For your convenience, we will offer a very limited number of tailgate access passes exclusively for season ticket holders at a cost of $10 per pass.

JB
09-30-2010, 06:16 PM
Something like this is going to open a huge can of worms! What about the people picking up tickets at the will call window?

Not to mention the people that meet people at the game to get their tickets.

Tedc
09-30-2010, 06:18 PM
I knew Cowboy fan would ruin it for everybody!

TxDavid
09-30-2010, 06:19 PM
I think the issue is people that don't have a parking pass OR a ticket to the game. Strangers are just wandering over to the tailgates and joining in the parties, with neither tickets to the game OR a parking pass. I would imagine that if you have a parking pass, it should suffice as a "team-issued credential". I don't think they're going to be stopping people with parking passes from entering the parking lot.

I agree. I believe they will enforce this with the "walk-ins" - not with the vehicles with parking passes.

I saw tons of people hauling coolers into the Blue lot as we were trying to get into the stadium. It was 11am. Those people were just there for tailgating and were probably not going into the game. It was a mess trying to get past the people coming in to the lot.

JWarren14
09-30-2010, 06:21 PM
I don't think it is going to be very strictly enforced unless things get out of hand like this past Sunday. Things should be pretty status quo IMO unless it becomes apparent that there are way too many people roaming around.

Who knows, we will just have to wait and see how it turns out the next couple of games.

TxDavid
09-30-2010, 06:22 PM
Something like this is going to open a huge can of worms! What about the people picking up tickets at the will call window?

Not to mention the people that meet people at the game to get their tickets.

With will call I'd imagine you could show a receipt or something of the like and they will let you through. Season ticket holders can send tickets via e-mail, so they won't have sympathy on meeting someone. Might have to pass them through the fence.

Double Barrel
09-30-2010, 06:23 PM
Not sure of the special circumstances, I don't think they will question people who are behaving, but if people are being asses and they don't have a game ticket PEACE.

Good point. It might just be an official policy that is in place to give them the right to kick people out for whatever reason(s).

Of course, they reserve that right if you are misbehaving and have a ticket, so I'm not sure what they plan to do.

Like JB said, will call tickets and people meeting up for tickets are two scenarios that I've encountered and would be a huge problem if the plan to inspect a lot of people.

MannyFresh
09-30-2010, 06:30 PM
I wonder how this affects the corporate setups? I mean I'm sure they'll (corporate setups) will still be able to come in because lets face it, money talks, but how many people will be actually visiting these corporate spots now with this new policy?

NitroGSXR
09-30-2010, 06:36 PM
I don't think it is going to be very strictly enforced unless things get out of hand like this past Sunday. Things should be pretty status quo IMO unless it becomes apparent that there are way too many people roaming around.

Who knows, we will just have to wait and see how it turns out the next couple of games.

Money is now involved. I bet it'll be strictly enforced at ten bucks a person.

Find more ways to anal-ize us but won't spend on high dollar temporary solutions to winning? Lol.

Cowgirl fans are not to blame. Money is.

gwallaia
09-30-2010, 06:37 PM
Security will be targeting people who appear to be in the lot illegally and ask for proper ID much like they do in Arizona.

Kimmy
09-30-2010, 06:40 PM
You can only buy 4 "passes" PER ACCOUNT We have four season tickets under two different accounts, so, we can buy 8 passes per game. That's an extra $800.00 a year for our friends to come out and tailgate with us.

Oh, and did you notice the email was sent out AFTER 5:00 pm? I may just drive to Reliant in the morning....

Tedc
09-30-2010, 06:41 PM
Cowgirl fans are not to blame.

Give me a problem....any problem and I will be happy to blame Cowboy fan!

Tedc
Security will be targeting people who appear to be in the lot illegally and ask for proper ID much like they do in Arizona.

Nice!

Kimmy
This is the first time I've seen more people viewing the "tailgate" rather than the "texans talk" section

Stemp
09-30-2010, 06:42 PM
Money grab by the Texans. Very disappointing.

Kimmy
09-30-2010, 06:46 PM
Don't try to buy passes -- this is what you get from the Texans Ticketmaster site

"An unusually large number of visitors are accessing our site. You've been placed in line and will be granted access to the site in the order in which you arrived. "

woollybully
09-30-2010, 06:46 PM
I suggest every ticket holder who gets the email respond with their opinions (and post to their Facebook page). I personally did not see any problems with the crowd, fights, etc. The only issues were not enough toilets and not enough parking personnel. Those issues are both the fault of the Texans.

We all knew that it would be super busy. We brought extra food, extra beer, got there early etc. Are the Texans really going to play stupid and say they were overwhelmed? Give me a break.

Had the Texans properly prepared for the additional onslaught of people, most of the problems would never have occurred. The only angry, upset people I saw were in line for the toilets or frustrated by the overwhelmed Reliant parking personnel.

The fact that Houstonians can come root for their team before and after the game adds to the excitement of game day. Not every one of my friends can afford nearly $100 for a football game (or even more). They can, however, bring a six-pack and watch over my NFL Sunday Ticket setup in the parking lot while I'm in the game. If it's an extra $10 for them, they will just stay home in the A/C.

I responded with this email:

This is a stupid idea. You are going to ruin the tailgate environment over one game? We have several people in our group that come every single week that don't necessarily go into the games.

There haven't been any problems until arguably the biggest game in Texans history. We won't have another game this big until we have a home payoff game or the Cowboys return in 8 or so years. I didn't even notice any problems with the crowd our extra fans.

In fact, the only problems I saw were caused by your lack of preparation for this crowd. There were not nearly enough portable toilets or parking personnel to handle the extra crowd. Is the extra $10 going to bring in more toilets or parkin attendants or will it simply go to the bottom line?

How do you expect to enforce this idiotic policy? Are we going to have to show our tickets when we drive in? That will just make the traffic that much worse. What about people that meet at the gate or in the parking lots to pick up tickets from friends?

I suppose you'll just have more people walk around checking tickets as well as parking passes. They will have the same problems I mentioned above plus people will just ignore them. If somebody walks up to me asking for a ticket I will just tell them my body has them but he's in the john. Then I'll walk off. Good luck.

This is obviously a stupid, knee-jerk reaction to complaints from a minority of season ticket holders. In addition to being completely unenforceable, it's going to anger your base. In a down economy that is double-dumb.

Made by Droid!

MannyFresh
09-30-2010, 06:48 PM
Money grab by the Texans. Very disappointing.

If it means charging per head now...I'm actually for it. After seeing that video of that guy getting sucker punched out cold, and walking by the same lame ass ghetto tents with the DJ there around the lots with "apple bottom jeans and boots with da fur" along with "street latina shaking her jelly"...why not?

woollybully
09-30-2010, 06:54 PM
No way am I buying passes. This policy is completely unenforceable. They would have to fence up the parking lot. Otherwise, just walk away when they ask for your pass. Do you think anybody's really going to chase you down? If your guarding the tailgate site for people, demand a cop.

Don't try to buy passes -- this is what you get from the Texans Ticketmaster site

"An unusually large number of visitors are accessing our site. You've been placed in line and will be granted access to the site in the order in which you arrived. "

TxDavid
09-30-2010, 06:56 PM
<-------snip--->for their team before and after the game adds to the excitement of game day. Not every one of my friends can afford nearly $100 for a football game (or even more). They can, however, bring a six-pack and watch over my NFL Sunday Ticket setup in the parking lot while I'm in the game. If it's an extra $10 for them, they will just stay home in the A/C.<----snip----->

I don't understand your logic here. $10 will keep them at home? I have no problem with them charging $10 for the people that do not have tickets to the game. As long as those resources are used to improve the tailgating. (add more toilets, personell, etc)

woollybully
09-30-2010, 06:58 PM
Because you don't have to walk by them. Maybe they don't like the Texans theme song that blares from our speakers every 5th song.

It's actually nice for my friends who can't afford games to come to tailgating.

For the guy that got punched out...there should be consequences for the attacker. If he's on video they've got the evidence to prosecute.

If it means charging per head now...I'm actually for it. After seeing that video of that guy getting sucker punched out cold, and walking by the same lame ass ghetto tents with the DJ there around the lots with "apple bottom jeans and boots with da fur" along with "street latina shaking her jelly"...why not?

Tailgate.Kidz
09-30-2010, 06:58 PM
so if i have a bus and 10 people are in it, all of us need tickets to get it???

this policy is ridiculous!!!!

TxDavid
09-30-2010, 07:01 PM
Because you don't have to walk by them. Maybe they don't like the Texans theme song that blares from our speakers every 5th song.

It's actually nice for my friends who can't afford games to come to tailgating.

For the guy that got punched out...there should be consequences for the attacker. If he's on video they've got the evidence to prosecute.

Not sure if it's the same one, but there's a setup right along the walkway to Budwesier Plaza that blares alot of music. No way to avoid it.

woollybully
09-30-2010, 07:01 PM
This is the same problem we have with street festivals, etc. There should be no extra charge for tailgating. We are already paying $25+ for each spot and have to have many spots for a small tailgate. I agree that $10 is not so much, but the people you are trying to keep out won't pay anyway. They will just show up because this policy is completely unenforceable. So just like the rest of society, lets punish the law abiding, responsible citizens and reward the loser creeps.

I don't understand your logic here. $10 will keep them at home? I have no problem with them charging $10 for the people that do not have tickets to the game. As long as those resources are used to improve the tailgating. (add more toilets, personell, etc)

MannyFresh
09-30-2010, 07:14 PM
What about the Texans charge per head per "lot costs, with maybe a slight markup" whether your walking in or in a car group, just don't charge the people with tickets in hand. How many thugs, rump shakers are gonna pay that to get in? Probably not a lot....

Charge per person what it cost for a parking pass per Blue Lot, Red Lot, ect...and then keep personnel in between lots so no one tries to move around with coolers or things like that. Allow "visiting" of the lots once you pay, but no lugging tailgate equipment. You pay, you stay in the lot your at. Not perfect system but hey its a suggestion.

woollybully
09-30-2010, 07:21 PM
Hehehe....I just filed a dispute with my credit card company over the final 6 games. $168.00

eriadoc
09-30-2010, 07:26 PM
Frankly, I am glad that I no longer have a business relationship with the Texans.

Craig.
09-30-2010, 07:31 PM
Hehehe....I just filed a dispute with my credit card company over the final 6 games. $168.00

Cool story bro.

Hervoyel
09-30-2010, 07:40 PM
I think I must not be getting the appeal of watching a game in the parking lot. It would never enter my mind to want to go down to Reliant Stadium on a Sunday without a ticket. If I'm going to watch the game on a TV it might as well be the one in my den.

Wolf
09-30-2010, 07:46 PM
I guess it is protection for them and you.

it puts a name with everyone that is on their property.

imatexan
09-30-2010, 07:52 PM
This is going to create a backlash among all fans, including the people who are paying for tickets.

Why would you try and change the best tailgating experience in the NFL?

Just go around during the game and ask those people to show their parking pass or whatever they need, not when you enter the parking lot before the game.

hobie
09-30-2010, 07:59 PM
I LOVE IT.. only 2000 passes available for the entire place per game!!! SWEET.

JB
09-30-2010, 08:02 PM

What???

TxDavid
09-30-2010, 08:09 PM

And the scaplers are buying them up as we speak.....

SouthSideTexan
09-30-2010, 08:14 PM
"street latina shaking her jelly"

I like "Jelly". Jelly's cool.....

Wolf
09-30-2010, 08:15 PM

not sure how many they can get unless they have a lot of tickets

Each season ticket holder will only be able to acquire up to 4 for any given game until the limit is reached.

and they run a risk

Will the Season Ticket Holder be responsible for the actions of their tailgate guest ticket holder? Yes. The Season Ticket Holder who purchased the tailgate guest ticket will be held responsible for the actions of their guest. If a disturbance occurs the Season Ticket Holder will be subject to removal from the property, revocation of their season ticket and/or parking pass.

Texan_Bill
09-30-2010, 08:17 PM

Lauren, that was my exact thought initially reading the new policy. Take JB and Hobie :hobie:... Each has had to meet up with me at Blue Crew for an extra ticket that I had. We couldn't meet up before Sunday.. WTF??

Kimmy
09-30-2010, 08:21 PM

It is only four per account -- so if you have 10 tickets under one account, you can still only get four per game.

Texan_Bill
09-30-2010, 08:28 PM
Give me a problem....any problem and I will be happy to blame Cowboy fan!

Absolutely agree!! Hell, I blame Cowgurl fan for my hemorrhoids!!

TxDavid
09-30-2010, 08:30 PM
It is only four per account -- so if you have 10 tickets under one account, you can still only get four per game.

I missed that - good call. I bet we'll still see them popping up on ebay/craigslist, etc pretty soon.

SouthSideTexan
09-30-2010, 09:00 PM
Maybe now I can get better parking. :evil:

JB
09-30-2010, 09:01 PM
Lauren, that was my exact thought initially reading the new policy. Take JB and Hobie :hobie:... Each has had to meet up with me at Blue Crew for an extra ticket that I had. We couldn't meet up before Sunday.. WTF??

I also has these questions, since it has a bearing on my ability to watch future games, so I emailed the following to the feedback line. Do you think I will get a response?

While I understand the reasons behind this move, it does present problems for many fans. I occasionally get to attend the game through the good graces of a friend that has bought an extra season ticket for that purpose. It is usually impossible to meet before the game, so I meet him at his tailgate in the platinum lot, and pick up my ticket there. How am I going to be able to do this in the future? Are you now trying to imply that ticket holders cannot sell or give them away? Or that you want only season ticker holders there? Or maybe, just if you get a gracious gift from a friend then that friend has to be inconvienced to meet you before the game to give you a ticket? There has to be a better way. Maybe you could just check people in the lot after the game starts? That would accomplish what you are wanting to achieve in regards to the non-ticketed enjoying the gameday experience, without putting undue hardship on the fans that want to also attend the game that are beneficial of a friends generosity.

Looking forward to your response.

Texan JB

edit: I meant to add that it would also help get ticket holders into the game on-time, as they would not want to deal with the hassle.

Texan_Bill
09-30-2010, 09:04 PM
I also has these questions, since it has a bearing on my ability to watch future games, so I emailed the following to the feedback line. Do you think I will get a response?

While I understand the reasons behind this move, it does present problems for many fans. I occasionally get to attend the game through the good graces of a friend that has bought an extra season ticket for that purpose. It is usually impossible to meet before the game, so I meet him at his tailgate in the platinum lot, and pick up my ticket there. How am I going to be able to do this in the future? Are you now trying to imply that ticket holders cannot sell or give them away? Or that you want only season ticker holders there? Or maybe, just if you get a gracious gift from a friend then that friend has to be inconvienced to meet you before the game to give you a ticket? There has to be a better way. Maybe you could just check people in the lot after the game starts? That would accomplish what you are wanting to achieve in regards to the non-ticketed enjoying the gameday experience, without putting undue hardship on the fans that want to also attend the game that are beneficial of a friends generosity.

Texan JB

edit: I meant to add that it would also help get ticket holders into the game on-time, as they would not want to deal with the hassle.

Lee, that was pretty ****ing money!!!

Bull Pen 1
09-30-2010, 09:05 PM

Texan JB

Tickets can be emailed from the season ticket holder to other individuals.

Kimmy
09-30-2010, 09:07 PM

Texan JB

You will get a response, they will tell you that your friend has the option of using the season ticket manager to email you the ticket .... and they charge the season ticket holder to forward them as well.

JB
09-30-2010, 09:09 PM
Lee, that was pretty ****ing money!!!

:tiphat: Thank you!

Tickets can be emailed from the season ticket holder to other individuals.

Is that from the ticket holder or the PSL holder? If you have 3 PSL's but only need two tickets now and decide to sell me your extra and I decide to gift a game ticket to a friend, will I be able to e-mail him that ticket or will I have to contact you and ask you to do it for me?

JB
09-30-2010, 09:10 PM
You will get a response, they will tell you that your friend has the option of using the season ticket manager to email you the ticket .... and they charge the season ticket holder to forward them as well.

Please respond to my post after yours and answer for me if you can.

Bull Pen 1
09-30-2010, 09:15 PM
The psl holder has to email the tickets. So if you email the ticket to each of you there will be 2 transaction charges. I think the charge is like $1.50 per transaction.

:tiphat: Thank you!

Is that from the ticket holder or the PSL holder? If you have 3 PSL's but only need two tickets now and decide to sell me your extra and I decide to gift a game ticket to a friend, will I be able to e-mail him that ticket or will I have to contact you and ask you to do it for me?

Kimmy
09-30-2010, 09:20 PM
Please respond to my post after yours and answer for me if you can.

From the PSL holder only I believe.

JB
09-30-2010, 09:25 PM
From the PSL holder only I believe.

That's kinda screwed up huh? In the scenario I posted above, where I decide to purchase someone's extra PSL, then I can not gift that ticket to a friend?

Wtf are all the scalpers going to do? Much less those generous souls that just want to help out a friend?

Bull Pen 1
09-30-2010, 09:35 PM
If you're the psl holder you can email the tickets, but if you're not the psl holder on the Texans psl account you cannot email the tickets. JB your friend would have to officially sell you the psl. Of course there is a fee for the transfer of the psl also.

That's kinda screwed up huh? In the scenario I posted above, where I decide to purchase someone's extra PSL, then I can not gift that ticket to a friend?

Wtf are all the scalpers going to do? Much less those generous souls that just want to help out a friend?

JB
09-30-2010, 09:38 PM
If you're the psl holder you can email the tickets, but if you're not the psl holder on the Texans psl account you cannot email the tickets. JB your friend would have to officially sell you the psl. Of course there is a fee for the transfer of the psl also.

In my mind, they are going to have a lot of problems with this, and may have a lot of empty seats as well.

Bull Pen 1
09-30-2010, 09:44 PM
I agree with the problems especially at the gates with people not having their tickets out and ready.

I don't think it will have a problem with fans in the seats, maybe late the first few games until the fans get use to the new procedure.

In my mind, they are going to have a lot of problems with this, and may have a lot of empty seats as well.

Kimmy
09-30-2010, 09:57 PM
Was discussing with my husband; People who don't read the message boards, or twitter, or facebook (there are some out there believe it or not) - show up on the 10th with tickets at will call.

Reliant Police - Sorry, you can't come in
Fan - But my tickets are at will call
RP - Do you have a receipt?
Fan - No, it said bring my ID and credit card I purchased
RP - uhhh, uhhh ... grabs walkie talkie
Everyone else who has tickets behind them GRRRRRRRRRRR

I dare McNair or the Texans to send out a "get in your seats early" email .... These first games are going to be an epic nightmare.

One word - f#@ery!

NitroGSXR
09-30-2010, 10:00 PM
I agree with the problems especially at the gates with people not having their tickets out and ready.

I don't think it will have a problem with fans in the seats, maybe late the first few games until the fans get use to the new procedure.

Late? I bet we learn what late really means next week.

BTW, the email fee is not $1.50. It's $1.95. It absurdly costs me six dollars to give my tickets to my brother. The Texans aren't really maximizing here though. Think turnstiles at the escalators, Mr. Bob. A buck a piece.

Cjeremy635
09-30-2010, 10:09 PM
I just saw this on ABC 13 news. I saw them interview Texans Chick.

EVERYONE needs to rep her for openly calling Cowgirls fans idiots on the news. That was EPIC!

:clap::clap::clap:

JB
09-30-2010, 10:11 PM

EVERYONE needs to rep her for openly calling Cowgirls fans idiots on the news. That was EPIC!

Damn! Wish I would have seen that! Maybe they will show it again in the morning.

NitroGSXR
09-30-2010, 10:17 PM

Hey you said *****. Glad to see that word back on the boards.

:banana:

I hope Texans_Chick puts the video in her blog for us out of town fans! I sure would love to see it.

NitroGSXR
09-30-2010, 10:19 PM
Hey you said *****. Glad to see that word back on the boards.

:banana:

I hope Texans_Chick puts the video in her blog for us out of town fans! I sure would love to see it.

*****. Idiots. *****. Idiots.

I understand now.

Texans_Chick
09-30-2010, 10:39 PM
I haven't seen it but they apologized for misspelling my last name. Ha.

I have no idea what small clip they used, but TV isn't subtle in their editing. I talked for a while but I'm sure they edited it down pretty tight. My point was that it is tone deaf to change this policy right after we dealt with jerky Cowboy fans.

My fuller point is written here:

"What do you think about the new tailgate policy? Me, not a fan." (http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2010/09/what_do_you_think_about_the_ne.html)

They ended up interviewing me in the middle of dinner at Carrabbas. Between salad and main course. I hope the vid wasn't too terrible--I was sitting outside and had no idea I was going to be on TV so I didn't really do the TV hair/makeup thing.

Cjeremy635
09-30-2010, 10:45 PM
I haven't seen it but they apologized for misspelling my last name. Ha.

I have no idea what small clip they used, but TV isn't subtle in their editing. I talked for a while but I'm sure they edited it down pretty tight. My point was that it is tone deaf to change this policy right after we dealt with jerky Cowboy fans.

My fuller point is written here:

"What do you think about the new tailgate policy? Me, not a fan." (http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2010/09/what_do_you_think_about_the_ne.html)

They ended up interviewing me in the middle of dinner at Carrabbas. Between salad and main course. I hope the vid wasn't too terrible--I was sitting outside and had no idea I was going to be on TV so I didn't really do the TV hair/makeup thing.

No Steph, it was just fine. I was watching it and I was like, "Hey! I know her! I read her stuff on the net!" (well, I only know you from here, but that's good enough for me) :boogereater:

Magnolia00
09-30-2010, 10:53 PM
It was only a matter of time...tailgating passes already showing up on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Houston-Texans-vs-New-York-Giants-Yellow-parking-pass-/250704736785?pt=US_Tickets_all_in_one&hash=item3a5f2ab211

Kimmy
09-30-2010, 10:54 PM
The arrest they showed was right outside our tailgate -- posted links to the pics in another thread. And then Steve got his picture with Ms Willey LOL

Stemp
09-30-2010, 10:56 PM
I suggest everyone write an email asking them to reconsider.

This decision definately wasn't started by the fans, unless they are talking to the same people who ***** about people standing and yelling during the game.

Kimmy
09-30-2010, 10:57 PM
It was only a matter of time...tailgating passes already showing up on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Houston-Texans-vs-New-York-Giants-Yellow-parking-pass-/250704736785?pt=US_Tickets_all_in_one&hash=item3a5f2ab211

We have two accounts with two tickets each on them. We both bought our max allowed passes tonight. If they are allowing 2000 tickets per game getting 4, that means only 500 ticket holders will be able to purchase them.

So yeah, we jumped on it. We will NOT be scalping them.

So much for my credit cards being paid off ....

Joe Texan
09-30-2010, 11:18 PM
First off all of you are comepletely over reacting, The Texans will have the blue shirts walk around and check the suspicious people and will probably walk around after the game starts and check people, You guys in the blue Crew need to can it and quit sending emails to the Texans, We will address this if we ever have a problem. The Squeaky wheels get the grease and we do not want any grease in the blue crew. If you have a problem getting into the blue Crew you Can call me and We will handle it, Stop sending emails about the Blue Crew I cannot be more clear on this we do not want any problems with the Blue Crew and the Texans Thank You

JB
09-30-2010, 11:20 PM
First off all of you are comepletely over reacting, The Texans will have the blue shirts walk around and check the suspicious people and will probably walk around after the game starts and check people, You guys in the blue Crew need to can it and quit sending emails to the Texans, We will address this if we ever have a problem. The Squeaky wheels get the grease and we do not want any grease in the blue crew. If you have a problem getting into the blue Crew you Can call me and We will handle it, Stop sending emails about the Blue Crew I cannot be more clear on this we do not want any problems with the Blue Crew and the Texans Thank You

Sorry Joe, but I think that e-mails from the Blue Crew is exactly what they need to be getting.

Texans_Chick
09-30-2010, 11:21 PM
The emails wouldn't be about the Blue Crew.

It would be about a tailgate policy that is a huge over-reaction to the Cowboy game.

JB
09-30-2010, 11:21 PM
The emails wouldn't be about the Blue Crew.

It would be about a tailgate policy that is a huge over-reaction to the Cowboy game.

Exactly!

Joe Texan
09-30-2010, 11:30 PM
Point I am saying we wont even get asked about this as all of our tailgate has gone in since day one. JB you will not have a problem and if you do then you can ride with me into the lot. do not send them emails making them specifically look at you and the blue crew. Stephany you are doing alright I am just focusing on our Blue Crew members. This is not an overreaction to the Cowboy game it is a policy implemented last year that they never enforced. That being said a bunch of yahoos bought passes on stub hub and got there early and parked and did not follow the parking in the lines rules and that made them empliment the rule. I believe it was Yellow lot that got this going and all the Yellow Lot complaints for the disaster as they called it this past sunday. I do not believe the Platinum will feel anything from this policy, Just Saying

Dr2bKay
09-30-2010, 11:32 PM
The crap that happened at that Cowgirls game didn't touch my Blue Crew!! We stayed after the game like normal!!!! No mess happened in the Blue Crew!! We can handle our own!! Just saying. Now let me pack for Oakland. I bet they are not crying about fights in their tailgates! Bish please!

Wolf
09-30-2010, 11:33 PM
seriously? starting bid on (1) yellow lot parking pass and (2) tailgate passes is 69 bucks (for the giants game) or buy now at 99 bucks..

:thinking: I could sit at home and get plenty of beer for me and a buddy and still order pizza and have money left over. If I was going to be at reliant, I would be INSIDE reliant for the game not at the damn parking lot

JB
10-01-2010, 06:46 AM
Point I am saying we wont even get asked about this as all of our tailgate has gone in since day one. JB you will not have a problem and if you do then you can ride with me into the lot. do not send them emails making them specifically look at you and the blue crew. Stephany you are doing alright I am just focusing on our Blue Crew members. This is not an overreaction to the Cowboy game it is a policy implemented last year that they never enforced. That being said a bunch of yahoos bought passes on stub hub and got there early and parked and did not follow the parking in the lines rules and that made them empliment the rule. I believe it was Yellow lot that got this going and all the Yellow Lot complaints for the disaster as they called it this past sunday. I do not believe the Platinum will feel anything from this policy, Just Saying

Rest easy Joe, I never mentioned Blue Crew

Kaiser Toro
10-01-2010, 07:15 AM
I like any policy that cuts my waiting time down for port a potties.

hobie
10-01-2010, 07:39 AM
Everyone just chillax a little... let's wait until the 10th to see how things are going to be.. All this speculation is absurd. If you normally do not have a lot of people come tailgate with you and stay out, then it does not effect you at all.. If you do, get a few passes if available for your guests.
We just have to wait until the 10th to see how it'll be done.. As for checking everyones ticket, I doubt it will be like that when you get to the gate... My guess is once the game has started, they will go around and check, as doing it before hand doesn't much make sense.
Everyone is overreacting way too early on both sides. Love it/Hate it.. Just wait people, take a breath and relax..we will see come the 10th. And for those haters, remember, the Texans must have gotten a ton of emails regarding this from season ticket holders, who they have more a responsibility to, than those of you who go to a game and sit in the lot. This is not a beef with you, but a fact they owe it to the season ticket holders more than they owe it to you sitting in the lot.
Just chillax and wait.. you might not even notice it at all..

Texan_Bill
10-01-2010, 08:01 AM
In reading the email, it's apparent that this is just a shakedown for more money:

ACCOUNT ID:******

Dear Season Ticket Holder,

Thank you for your support. You have helped us to create one of the finest sporting experiences in the world, and we are working hard to maintain this standard of excellence for you.

This past weekend we had our largest crowd in franchise history. While we were disappointed with how the game turned out, we are proud of the tremendous crowd support and are appreciative of our great fans like you that made it happen. We also had some significant challenges last Sunday, including traffic, parking and fan behavior in our parking areas. These issues were due primarily to the large number of non-ticketed individuals in our stadium parking lots before, during and, especially, after the game.

Non-ticketed tailgating at Reliant Park on Texans game days has been a growing trend that has become increasingly problematic for us and we have heard complaints from many of our season ticket holders regarding the impact this is having on the quality of their game day experience. It has reached a point that we do not believe we can offer the world-class game day atmosphere you have come to expect from us if we allow this to continue. The tailgating environment we provide has been recognized as the best in the NFL and was established for the enjoyment of you and our other ticketed patrons. So, in order to ensure a great game day experience for you, we will implement the following policy:

All visitors to Reliant Park MUST have a game ticket or other team-issued credential to be on the Reliant Park grounds on Houston Texans home game days.

Please understand that this policy was created after careful study and is a necessary step in order for us to continue to provide you with the fun, festive and friendly environment you have come to expect from us in our parking lots on game day. For your convenience, we will offer a very limited number of tailgate access passes exclusively for season ticket holders at a cost of $10 per pass. For more complete information on this policy click here or to purchase a tailgate guest tickets please click here (Your Texans Account ID is *******).

Again, thank you for your outstanding support and we look forward to seeing you next Sunday when we take on the New York Giants at Reliant Stadium.

Best Regards,

Jamey Rootes
President

I clicked on "here" for complete information:

Tailgate Guest Ticket Policy Information

New Policy: The Houston Texans announced a new revision to their gameday ticket policy. Effective immediately the Houston Texans will require all fans who wish to enter Reliant Stadium or its parking lots to possess a gameday ticket.

Who’s affected: Non-ticketed guests, season ticket holders that bring guests to tailgate, season ticket holders that sell or give away their tickets and still plan to come to the game to tailgate.

Why the New Policy: Non-ticketed fans who arrive on property use facility resources otherwise designated for ticket holders, create additional unneeded traffic congestion, setup tailgates in parking spaces without parking passes, and require the services of EMT, Police, and Parking Staff that should be focused on improving the gameday experience of our fans who do have game tickets.

When it’s effective: The new policy is effective immediately and will begin to be enforced starting with the October 10th Home game against the New York Giants.

Where it is effective: All of Reliant Park property, including but not limited to all parking lots and the stadium.

What will happen to non-ticket fans: Any fan that does not have a gameday ticket will not be permitted to enter Reliant Park Property.

How will we enforce this policy: Fans who try to enter Reliant Park grounds on Houston Texans gamedays will be required to present a ticket upon request.

To Summarize, you must have either a game ticket or a tailgate guest ticket to enter and remain on Reliant Park grounds on gamedays.

What if a Season Ticket Holder would like to bring a guest to tailgate for a game? We will make available a tailgate guest ticket to season ticket holders for $10 per ticket per game, via their online season ticket account manager. There will be up to 2000 of these passes available for each game. Each season ticket holder will only be able to acquire up to 4 for any given game until the limit is reached.

Can a tailgate guest ticket be forwarded or reprinted? No. These tailgate guest tickets cannot be forwarded or reprinted. They must be treated like cash and will not be replaced for any reason.

Will the Season Ticket Holder be responsible for the actions of their tailgate guest ticket holder? Yes. The Season Ticket Holder who purchased the tailgate guest ticket will be held responsible for the actions of their guest. If a disturbance occurs the Season Ticket Holder will be subject to removal from the property, revocation of their season ticket and/or parking pass.

Does this tailgate guest ticket entitle me to setup a tailgate in a parking space? No. The tailgate guest ticket only allows you to remain on property without an accompanying game ticket. You will not be allowed to setup any materials or equipment in a parking space unless you have a parking pass.

hobie
10-01-2010, 08:09 AM
In reading the email, it's apparent that this is just a shakedown for more money:

I clicked on "here" for complete information:

TB, I know that's how it seems to a lot of people..but I do not read it as such. Anyway, until everyone goes thru it on the 10th, pi**ing and moaning about something that we have really no idea onhow it will turn out is a waste of time.. Let's just wait and see.. As for those going to meet someone for tickets, speculating does no good.. We all need to relax and just wait and see. If people have questions, just email them to the Texans.. they wil respond.
Wow, people pi** about the tailgating last week and now this..Let's let things settle down before we start pi**ing about this new policy.. It is a work in progress...
And I took you out of the doghouse yesterday for donating.. you are back in , I blame you for this firestorm as well... THANKS TB !!

BIG TORO
10-01-2010, 08:22 AM
I think of this was all planned, We were given lanyards this year so that we could have our tickets ready to show. It's really not hard to enforce this since all the lots are gated and they probably will require to have your ticket ready as you walk through the gates, and have the same number of tickets ready as the amount of riding in your vehicle.

I think this is a great thing for all people who do have ticket and will make wait times for entering lots and restrooms alot shorter. It will also cut back on most of the fighting because people will have to be responsible for who they bring to there tailgate. Fighting and long wait times are the two main reason they are doing this and this would fix both of them. I think it's better they fix the problem know then some one ends up getting shot and they end tailgating all together.

It really suck for the people that do what there suppose to, but when some people act like animals, then we all have to get treated like them.

Blake
10-01-2010, 08:26 AM
I am a little surprised by this. Obviously it was a respone to something as they would have implimented this for the first game if it was only for money. Maybe a combination of a couple things.

#1. How are they going to enforce this? How are you going to enforce this on the people it was designed to keep out?

#2. Why only 2000 passes? That sounds like a small amount to allow for tailgating.

BIG TORO
10-01-2010, 08:33 AM
I am a little surprised by this. Obviously it was a respone to something as they would have implimented this for the first game if it was only for money. Maybe a combination of a couple things.

#1. How are they going to enforce this? How are you going to enforce this on the people it was designed to keep out?

#2. Why only 2000 passes? That sounds like a small amount to allow for tailgating.

It sounds like it was in response to the complaints of the wait time in the yellow lot and blue lot, which probably have the most people this would affect. I also think this is not the first time this has crossed there minds, in order to make it a better tailgaiting experience for the paying customer.

Texan_Bill
10-01-2010, 08:34 AM
TB, I know that's how it seems to a lot of people..but I do not read it as such. Anyway, until everyone goes thru it on the 10th, pi**ing and moaning about something that we have really no idea onhow it will turn out is a waste of time.. Let's just wait and see.. As for those going to meet someone for tickets, speculating does no good.. We all need to relax and just wait and see. If people have questions, just email them to the Texans.. they wil respond.
Wow, people pi** about the tailgating last week and now this..Let's let things settle down before we start pi**ing about this new policy.. It is a work in progress...
And I took you out of the doghouse yesterday for donating.. you are back in , I blame you for this firestorm as well... THANKS TB !!

How is JB or anyone else going to get my extra ticket? I do not own the PSL for this particular ticket, so I can't email it to him? It worked out okay for you, because you already had your other tickets and your parking pass. He has neither.

BTW, I always donate to Lindsay for "The Cure". I just went and bumped that thread since you and I were the only ones that donated. I guess were the only ones that like boobs.

BigBull17
10-01-2010, 08:37 AM
I think I must not be getting the appeal of watching a game in the parking lot. It would never enter my mind to want to go down to Reliant Stadium on a Sunday without a ticket. If I'm going to watch the game on a TV it might as well be the one in my den.

yeah, Im going to sit in the stands, or BBQ at my house.

BIG TORO
10-01-2010, 08:40 AM
How is JB or anyone else going to get my extra ticket? I do not own the PSL for this particular ticket, so I can't email it to him? It worked out okay for you, because you already had your other tickets and your parking pass. He has neither.

BTW, I always donate to Lindsay for "The Cure".

JB could walk to the fence and get his ticket, then go to the gate and granted access. It's a small inconvienience but it could work.

hobie
10-01-2010, 08:46 AM

BTW, I always donate to Lindsay for "The Cure". I just went and bumped that thread since you and I were the only ones that donated. I guess were the only ones that like boobs.

This is something we are going to have to wait and see how this will play out, or email the Texans for clarity.
As for donating, I do as well.... and as for boobs, :clap:

JT
10-01-2010, 08:50 AM
JB could walk to the fence and get his ticket, then go to the gate and granted access. It's a small inconvienience but it could work.

There lies another problem, who's to say others say close friends/family members meets up with someone at the fence and hands em their ticket to get in and continues the cycle? Then say personnel says no to that as well?

Kimmy
10-01-2010, 08:52 AM
There lies another problem, who's to say others say close friends/family members meets up with someone at the fence and hands em their ticket to get in and continues the cycle? Then say personnel says no to that as well?

Excellent point ... Same thing with the reprinted parking passes, they all have a barcode, but they don't get scanned upon entry

hobie
10-01-2010, 08:52 AM

It's going to be work in progress... what ifs do no good at this time. Email the Texans for answers to questions is all we can do at this time.. Speculating on what will happen justs fuels the fire !!

hobie
10-01-2010, 08:53 AM
Excellent point ... Same thing with the reprinted parking passes, they all have a barcode, but they don't get scanned upon entry

I'm thinking it is something that is going to start happening..

BIG TORO
10-01-2010, 08:55 AM

That is a loop hole and they probably will stop it after a while. Another loop hole would be to pay the 1.95 and print a copy of your ticket then make copies of that printed ticket and give them out to your buddies and use those to tailgate beacause they are not going to scan them for you to tailgate.

hobie
10-01-2010, 08:59 AM
That is a loop hole and they probably will stop it after a while. Another loop hole would be to pay the 1.95 and print a copy of your ticket then make copies of that printed ticket and give them out to your buddies and use those to tailgate beacause they are not going to scan them for you to tailgate.

We for one do not know if they are going to scan them or not...I would assume they will, as then why would they limit it to 2000. If one scans and then the others do not, well you know then it is a copy.. sorry sir, you were scammed and I would suggest taking that up with the Texans..
This keeps STH from doing that knowing they could lose their tickets...

BIG TORO
10-01-2010, 09:03 AM
We for one do not know if they are going to scan them or not...I would assume they will, as then why would they limit it to 2000. If one scans and then the others do not, well you know then it is a copy.. sorry sir, you were scammed and I would suggest taking that up with the Texans..
This keeps STH from doing that knowing they could lose their tickets...

But if they scan them then we would not be able to use them again to get in to the actual game huh?

hobie
10-01-2010, 09:06 AM
But if they scan them then we would not be able to use them again to get in to the actual game huh?

I was refering to the tailgate pass... did not actually think gameday ticket.
As for the tailgating during the game, that is when you better have the tailgate ticket...Might not scan them, might have a official stamp they stamp on it so it shows it was already used to gain access... Gameday ticket wont be scanned until you go into the gate inside the stadium..

CloakNNNdagger
10-01-2010, 09:11 AM
If this becomes confirmed (and I tend to believe it will be):

There was a caller into 610, who identified himself as having a sister working ticket parking, stating that the reason that season ticket holders couldn't even get into their paid for-parking lots (because they were full) is that on-site $50 dollar parking lot tickets were being sold to non ticket holders..........and he was one of them. He stated that this accounted for an additional $30,000 into the coffers of Bob McNair. He also stated that the NFL contacted the Texans, ordering them to stop this practice immediately.

610 Vandemeer will be looking into this. If this is indeed the case, it and other unknown Texans practices may be related to an adverse NFL response and the immediate implimentation of the "new policy." If the facts are confirmed, it's a pretty sad self-generated situation.

BIG TORO
10-01-2010, 09:15 AM
I was refering to the tailgate pass... did not actually think gameday ticket.
As for the tailgating during the game, that is when you better have the tailgate ticket...Might not scan them, might have a official stamp they stamp on it so it shows it was already used to gain access... Gameday ticket wont be scanned until you go into the gate inside the stadium..

I think your right though, they probably will scan the tailgate tickets because a stamp would not help much if one person made 100 copies of the same ticket.

hobie
10-01-2010, 09:17 AM
I think your right though, they probably will scan the tailgate tickets because a stamp would not help much if one person made 100 copies of the same ticket.

I was meaning a stamp AT the gate... so once it has been stamped, it will have been shown to have been used already that day !

Kimmy
10-01-2010, 09:27 AM

There was a caller into 610, who identified himself as having a sister working ticket parking, stating that the reason that season ticket holders couldn't even get into their paid for-parking lots (because they were full) is that on-site $50 dollar parking lot tickets were being sold to non ticket holders..........and he was one of them. He stated that this accounted for an additional $30,000 into the coffers of Bob McNair. He also stated that the NFL contacted the Texans, ordering them to stop this practice immediately.

610 Vandemeer will be looking into this. If this is indeed the case, it and other unknown Texans practices may be related to an adverse NFL response and the immediate implimentation of the "new policy." If the facts are confirmed, it's a pretty sad self-generated situation.

I heard that, too. This could open up a much bigger can of worms

MannyFresh
10-01-2010, 09:42 AM
I bet its a fun day at the office over at Reliant today...

SheTexan
10-01-2010, 09:43 AM
Sorry folks, I like the new policy. Best thing they ever did!! Sure will eliminate all those HOUSTON TITAN fans who think they can just walk in and take over our lots like the Cowboy fans did this past Sunday. Houston is split three ways when it comes to football fans. Texans, Titans, and Cowboys! I'm sorry!!! Reliant is HOME TO THE TEXANS, not those other jerks!! I'll support this policy 100% If Texan fans want to tailgate, let them buy a ticket. I sure as hell had to.

Blake
10-01-2010, 09:49 AM
I hear fights breaking out were part of the reason for this new policy.

MannyFresh
10-01-2010, 09:50 AM
Sorry folks, I like the new policy. Best thing they ever did!! Sure will eliminate all those HOUSTON TITAN fans who think they can just walk in and take over our lots like the Cowboy fans did this past Sunday. Houston is split three ways when it comes to football fans. Texans, Titans, and Cowboys! I'm sorry!!! Reliant is HOME TO THE TEXANS, not those other jerks!! I'll support this policy 100% If Texan fans want to tailgate, let them buy a ticket. I sure as hell had to.

I agree with you totally to a certain point....Would you be open if they modified the policy? Say, charge 10 bucks per person that walk-in and limit each parking pass to 5 people per vehicle or something like that?

hobie
10-01-2010, 09:54 AM

:clap:

Yankee_In_TX
10-01-2010, 10:05 AM

Don't forget people who buy passes on Ebay and have no game tickets. That adds to the problem. Then they bring 10 friends and all get loaded and roudy.....

Someone on 610 said they were selling cash passes at the Cowgirls game, if so, shame on the Texans (another caller said he had a blue pass, got there at 10:30 and couldn't find a space).

Dr2bKay
10-01-2010, 10:08 AM
Are they really gonna check the number of game tickets with the number of people in your car??

Double Barrel
10-01-2010, 10:08 AM
Two interesting facts I heard last night on Barry Warner's show:

HPD estimates that the number of people on Reliant property last Sunday to be between 150,000 to 175,000. That's mind-boggling considering that only 70,000 of those could actually be at the game. So there are 80,000-105,000 in the lots drinking their asses off while the game was being played. That could be a problem...

The other stat was that 84% of those arrested for fighting did not have a ticket to the game.

While I'm like Herv and don't quite understand tailgating but not going to the game (I'd much rater watch my own HD tv with DVR from my comfy leather easy chair than be in a parking lot trying to watch it around a glare), I think the Texans screwed the pooch with this one. They sold the extra parking passes and they have sold the idea of tailgating to everyone since the beginning. This decision, while understandable, is more knee-jerk than anything else. I expect it to be amended as time goes on and they see what does and doesn't work.

Texans rep said this morning that they will be checking ALL pedestrians for tickets, so if you're meeting someone there for a ticket, you'd better plan that meeting in advance (same for will call).

Yankee_In_TX
10-01-2010, 10:14 AM
I hear fights breaking out were part of the reason for this new policy.

From the horses mouth:

1. extra traffic
2. problems parking
3. 'incidents' (leading me to believe arrests happen more to folks without game tickets)

I'm FOR. At first I was thinking 'no fun league' but this morning I liked the policy. I have to ask - how does this affect me? Sorry if I get flamed for this:

1. Getting from my tailgate to the stadium has been increasingly difficult due to volume of people. As the Texans get better and better (hopefully?) this volume will only increase unless something is done.

2. Getting home has become increasingly difficult, I am guessing for the same reason.

3. Though we have never had the issue (thought Blue Crew has), I would imagine theft is 95% from people without game tickets.

I would guess (no facts to back this up) that most of the loud and roudy dance party tailagtes (the folks who yell foul things as you walk by) are more non ticketed folks and less ticketed folks.

4. We have one friend who some times comes to the game and does not have a ticket. I will be happy to buy the $10 ticket for him.

My only complaint is that I think the Texans should outright ban resale of the $10 ticket - I think it defeats the purpose if 1500 end up on Ebay and then honest season ticket holders need some so the Texans release even more.

That way they could make SOME attempt at getting them off of Ebay, Stubhub, etc.

If you have a buddy who doesn't have a ticket, help him get the $10 ticket.

If you buy a parking pass on Ebay and bring 10 people just to party in the parking lot and no one has tickets, well, I'm not sure you have a right to be there....?

Yankee_In_TX
10-01-2010, 10:21 AM
they have sold the idea of tailgating to everyone since the beginning. This decision, while understandable, is more knee-jerk than anything else.)

Has this been confirmed?

If the Texans sold cash passes thus eliminating the spots of season ticket holders who pre-paid their parking, that's kinda' awful.

Blake
10-01-2010, 10:22 AM
I got 4 for each or the remaining homegame so I am good.

I just hope that they actually enforce it, and I didnt pay for nothing.

houstonspartan
10-01-2010, 10:23 AM
I'm 100 percent for this policy. Guys, you will not believe how long it took us to navigate our way into Reliant Park to our lot in our car. It was ridiculus. It was at least an hour just in the car creeping along in traffic around the stadium. I was like a little kid, staring at Reliant right in front of me, but thinking I was never going to get there.

The problem this creates is that it creates jams everywhere: The streets surrounding the lots, entrances, and the lots themselves. And, to make matters worse, it also created a huge logjam at the actual gates because people were scrambling to get inside the stadium at the same time. We were in line a good half hour just to get inside the freaking stadium!

I'm one of those "must be in my seat by kickoff" people, and we BARELY made it, despite leaving for the stadium 2 hours early.

And, I hate to be one of those "I'm a PSL holder" kinds of people, but, the bottom line is, I AM a PSL and parking pass owner, and they need to fix this. I'm all for partying and having a good time, but it's more important to get people in their seats on time for kickoff.

Blake
10-01-2010, 10:24 AM
Don't forget people who buy passes on Ebay and have no game tickets. That adds to the problem. Then they bring 10 friends and all get loaded and roudy.....

I am confused. With this new policy you cant bring 10 friends with a single pass. All must have a game ticket or tailgating pass.

Or are you saying Pre-policy this was an issue?

JT
10-01-2010, 10:25 AM
From the horses mouth:

1. extra traffic
2. problems parking
3. 'incidents' (leading me to believe arrests happen more to folks without game tickets)

I'm FOR. At first I was thinking 'no fun league' but this morning I liked the policy. I have to ask - how does this affect me? Sorry if I get flamed for this:

1. Getting from my tailgate to the stadium has been increasingly difficult due to volume of people. As the Texans get better and better (hopefully?) this volume will only increase unless something is done.

2. Getting home has become increasingly difficult, I am guessing for the same reason.

3. Though we have never had the issue (thought Blue Crew has), I would imagine theft is 95% from people without game tickets.

I would guess (no facts to back this up) that most of the loud and roudy dance party tailagtes (the folks who yell foul things as you walk by) are more non ticketed folks and less ticketed folks.

4. We have one friend who some times comes to the game and does not have a ticket. I will be happy to buy the $10 ticket for him.

My only complaint is that I think the Texans should outright ban resale of the $10 ticket - I think it defeats the purpose if 1500 end up on Ebay and then honest season ticket holders need some so the Texans release even more.

That way they could make SOME attempt at getting them off of Ebay, Stubhub, etc.

If you have a buddy who doesn't have a ticket, help him get the $10 ticket.

If you buy a parking pass on Ebay and bring 10 people just to party in the parking lot and no one has tickets, well, I'm not sure you have a right to be there....?

But doesn't everyone have a "buddy" who we would like to get in to just tailgate? I hear people say yeah great, no ticket no get, but the same people who either directly or indirectly are associated with eachother want certain people not to come in except "their" people/friends. There a lot of respectable tailgate crews out there who have people that help out, cook, set-up and everything, and those do not go to games because they are busy preparing and making sure everyone is having a good time. So should everyone just close up shop because the game is about to start and not enjoy it outdoors with respectable friends as part of the experience too?
So what is it that do they want? No one except people with game tickets? Then whats the point of extra tailgate tickets if they have no game ticket either?

Yankee_In_TX
10-01-2010, 10:28 AM
I am confused. With this new policy you cant bring 10 friends with a single pass. All must have a game ticket or tailgating pass.

Or are you saying Pre-policy this was an issue?

Parking passes are only sold to season ticket holders (except maybe for the SNAFU last weekend).

So if you buy a parking pass on Ebay and have no game tickets, then load up your car with 10 other people who have no game tickets and roll into the parking lot solely to the party, I'm not sure IMHO that thay add anything positive to the atmosphere.

*edit*

Yes, pre-policy there were a lot of people buying parking passes and tailgating and no one with that group had game tickets. Those people, it is believed, are more likely to get sloshed and roudy that groups who go into the game.

Yankee_In_TX
10-01-2010, 10:30 AM
But doesn't everyone have a "buddy" who we would like to get in to just tailgate? I hear people say yeah great, no ticket no get, but the same people who either directly or indirectly are associated with eachother want certain people not to come in except "their" people/friends. There a lot of respectable tailgate crews out there who have people that help out, cook, set-up and everything, and those do not go to games because they are busy preparing and making sure everyone is having a good time. So should everyone just close up shop because the game is about to start and not enjoy it outdoors with respectable friends as part of the experience too?
So what is it that do they want? No one except people with game tickets? Then whats the point of extra tailgate tickets if they have no game ticket either?

I'm not sure I understand - then why not buy the $10 tailgating ticket for your buddy/helpers? problem solved?

JT
10-01-2010, 10:32 AM
I'm not sure I understand - then why not buy the $10 tailgating ticket for your buddy/helpers? problem solved?

Ok so the tailgating 10.00 ticket means you can stay outside and not go to the game yes?

Yankee_In_TX
10-01-2010, 10:34 AM
Ok so the tailgating 10.00 ticket means you can stay outside and not go to the game yes?

Yes.

They will sell 2,000 per game, limit 4 per season ticket holder.

I'm sure 1500 are already on Ebay, but I think this will work in theory.

Jamie Roots sounded like they would make exceptions if needed to the 2,000 limit rule.

MannyFresh
10-01-2010, 10:36 AM
Yes.

They will sell 2,000 per game, limit 4 per season ticket holder.

I'm sure 1500 are already on Ebay, but I think this will work in theory.

Jamie Roots sounded like they would make exceptions if needed to the 2,000 limit rule.

That does sound better I agree.

Blake
10-01-2010, 10:39 AM
Parking passes are only sold to season ticket holders (except maybe for the SNAFU last weekend).

So if you buy a parking pass on Ebay and have no game tickets, then load up your car with 10 other people who have no game tickets and roll into the parking lot solely to the party, I'm not sure IMHO that thay add anything positive to the atmosphere.

*edit*

Yes, pre-policy there were a lot of people buying parking passes and tailgating and no one with that group had game tickets. Those people, it is believed, are more likely to get sloshed and roudy that groups who go into the game.

Agreed. Lets hope the new policy is enforced and those free riders (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_rider_problem) get turned away with the parking pass up their ass.

CloakNNNdagger
10-01-2010, 10:41 AM
I wonder how they came up with "up to 2000" will be sold, with up to 4 per season ticket holder, based on about 62,000 total season ticket holders?

MannyFresh
10-01-2010, 10:41 AM
Agreed. Lets hope the new policy is enforced and those free riders (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_rider_problem) get turned away with the parking pass up their ass.

Or make a limit per car and if they exceed that charge 10-20 bucks...

Yankee_In_TX
10-01-2010, 10:44 AM
Or make a limit per car and if they exceed that charge 10-20 bucks...

No.... I am hearing second hand that season ticket holders who showed up a bit later could not find parking in the lot they paid to park in 5 months ago because of parking passes being sold at the gate - which has been against policy for a year or two now.

2,000 should be a good number, my concern is how many of these are going straight to Ebay?

hobie
10-01-2010, 10:48 AM
No.... I am hearing second hand that season ticket holders who showed up a bit later could not find parking in the lot they paid to park in 5 months ago because of parking passes being sold at the gate - which has been against policy for a year or two now.

2,000 should be a good number, my concern is how many of these are going straight to Ebay?

Well then if said person sells passes and then the group gets out of hand, then my friend, stupid you for selling them to someone you do not know and I hope you enjoyed your seats, as you could very well lose them..

MannyFresh
10-01-2010, 10:48 AM

I would guess quite a bit now that there's a demand for them. So the prices will definitely be gouged again.

Magnolia00
10-01-2010, 10:53 AM

They are already on there...saw four running for $150.00

Yankee_In_TX
10-01-2010, 10:56 AM

Well then if said person sells passes and then the group gets out of hand, then my friend, stupid you for selling them to someone you do not know and I hope you enjoyed your seats, as you could very well lose them..

That, too.

I moreso meant - let's say as a season ticket holder you have a few folks who need the tailgate ticket. You call the Texans and they say 'sorry, sold out.' You check Ebay and find 1,500 for that game at a huge mark up.

I would HOPE that the Texans would hook you up, but that is my concern for legit season ticket holders who don't know months in advance they will need there opposed to the brokers/scalpers/resellers who I assume are buying the max for every game.

ubecool454
10-01-2010, 11:04 AM

I wouldn't call them all idiots because we had some sitting close by and they were pretty cool.

hobie
10-01-2010, 11:13 AM
I wouldn't call them all idiots because we had some sitting close by and they were pretty cool.

And it was not just Dallas fan that was the problem... Both sides were as much to blame.. I saw plenty of stupid Texans fans as well..Add a match to some gasoline and it will ignite..and that is what happened.. I do not blame any one teams fans for the firestorm, that would be wrong to do..I shake my head more at the so called "adults" who acted in such a manner !! Idiots, each and every one !!

Yankee_In_TX
10-01-2010, 11:15 AM
And it was not just Dallas fan that was the problem... Both sides were as much to blame.. I saw plenty of ***** Texans fans as well..Add a match to some gasoline and it will ignite..and that is what happened.. I do not blame any one teams fans for the firestorm, that would be wrong to do..I shake my head more at the so called "adults" who acted in such a manner !! Idiots, each and every one !!

I blame the bandwagon fans Texans fans and Cowboy fans who heard this was going to be a big deal and came with the sole intent of getting hammered beyond belief in the parking lot. Let's keep those folks from getting in :bat:

*edit* now my words make sense :)

hobie
10-01-2010, 11:19 AM
I blame the bandwagon fans Texans fans and Cowboy fans who heard this was going to show up and came with the sole intent of getting hammered beyond belief in the parking lot. Let's keep those folks from getting in :bat:

Indeed... as I saw at least a dozen or so called "adults" already hammered at 9:00 in the morning.. I mean really, it is 9 and you have already pounded several beers and shots or whatever.. We've only just finished setting up our area and here are these idiots already blitzed.. amazing !!

JB
10-01-2010, 11:21 AM

Texan JB

Got a response to my e-mail this morning.

JB,

There are several options for you to get to the game with your friend. First your friend could purchase a tailgate guest pass and mail it to you prior to attending the game and you would be granted access to the parking lot of your choice. Second your friend could mail you the game ticket prior to the game. Third your friend can have the game ticket or the tailgate guest pass put in will call and you would be allowed to access our will call window prior to the game without any game ticket in hand. While these items may not be as convenient as just walking into the lot whenever you show up, the Houston Texans feel that with just a little planning you should not experience much inconvenience at all. I appreciate your feedback regarding the new policy and if you ever have any other questions please feel free to contact me anytime.

Go Texans!!!

Ted Dickerson
Manager of Traffic and Parking Services

About what I expected.

Double Barrel
10-01-2010, 11:22 AM
Interesting to note that booze was most likely a common denominator in all the "incidents". But I doubt the franchise would even consider any kind of limit on that cash cow (no pun intended...moooo). I've seen lots of fans in the stands too sloshed to barely make it up the aisle, and I've always wondered how many of them were driving home.

Yankee_In_TX
10-01-2010, 11:24 AM
Unfortunately JB, you're one of the rare fans hurt by this policy, and that stinks. But I think it will keep a lot of skeezy folks OUT.

Can your friend e-mail you the ticket? Season ticket holders can forward tickets by e-mail.

dbruder44
10-01-2010, 11:32 AM
I would guess quite a bit now that there's a demand for them. So the prices will definitely be gouged again.

The reason why parking was impossible was people were going into their season ticket manager and emailing the pass to themselves and selling copies plus the original tags to others, they don't scan tickets, they should there were probably 5000 counterfeit tags out there

woollybully
10-01-2010, 11:34 AM
Unfortunately JB, you're one of the rare fans hurt by this policy, and that stinks. But I think it will keep a lot of skeezy folks OUT.

Can your friend e-mail you the ticket? Season ticket holders can forward tickets by e-mail.

I don't think JB's situation is that rare. I have four tickets and regularly give out two to friends or fellow tailgaters. We meet at the tailgate before the game.

We've also got several people that tailgate with us who've made it a family event. They can only afford a few tickets so they rotate each week who goes into the game. The rest sit at the tailgate watching the game, cooking and keeping an eye on things. For a family that already struggles to come up with the season ticket money, this is just an extra burden that they haven't budgeted for. Now they must fork out an extra $60 every week so grandma and some kids can continue to come to the game like they've been doing since 2002? This is pathetic.

ATXtexanfan
10-01-2010, 11:35 AM
I think of this was all planned, We were given lanyards this year so that we could have our tickets ready to show. It's really not hard to enforce this since all the lots are gated and they probably will require to have your ticket ready as you walk through the gates, and have the same number of tickets ready as the amount of riding in your vehicle.

I think this is a great thing for all people who do have ticket and will make wait times for entering lots and restrooms alot shorter. It will also cut back on most of the fighting because people will have to be responsible for who they bring to there tailgate. Fighting and long wait times are the two main reason they are doing this and this would fix both of them. I think it's better they fix the problem know then some one ends up getting shot and they end tailgating all together.

It really suck for the people that do what there suppose to, but when some people act like animals, then we all have to get treated like them.

nice call on the lanyards, hope i still got mine

The1ApplePie
10-01-2010, 11:54 AM
Makes me glad that I just take the light rail on the rare occasion I get to go.

JB
10-01-2010, 12:05 PM

Can your friend e-mail you the ticket? Season ticket holders can forward tickets by e-mail. See Bill's reply for your answer.

Yankee_In_TX
10-01-2010, 12:22 PM
See Bill's reply for your answer.

The good news is I am the season ticket holder and will be more than happy to e-mail it to people for Bill :)

JB
10-01-2010, 12:23 PM
The good news is I am the season ticket holder and will be more than happy to e-mail it to people for Bill :)

Sweet!

Yankee_In_TX
10-01-2010, 12:26 PM
Sweet!

Unless he asks me to e-mail it to "hotsausage69@labare.com"

Then we may have words...

disaacks3
10-01-2010, 12:29 PM

So, the TEXANS created this problem and now they're upset?

Texans rep said this morning that they will be checking ALL pedestrians for tickets, so if you're meeting someone there for a ticket, you'd better plan that meeting in advance (same for will call). That doesn't mesh with JB's response that stated he will be able to get to will call for his pass. Sounds like the newest excuse for non-ticketed fans...."I gotta go to will call!"

I wonder how they came up with "up to 2000" will be sold, with up to 4 per season ticket holder, based on about 62,000 total season ticket holders? Absolutely ridiculous. It's a phantom number based on the number the Texans think they can make $$ off of. I guarantee you if they relaize that they can sell more, then they'll start jacking up the numbers. (Which will prove that it's NOT about fan safety / enjoyment, it's about more $$ to the Texans.)

2,000 should be a good number, my concern is how many of these are going straight to Ebay? Once again, if the Texans created this PARKING problem, then they needed to stick by their own "NO CASH LOTS!" policy.

The 2,000 passes will have Zero effect on any parking situation, because pedestrians don't park. My fight on the streets to get into the lot wasn't due to pedestrians, but poor traffic flow engineering.

IMHO - (And who knows, maybe I'm in the minority here) Why mess with something that works? The "extra people" in the lots had ZIP to do with how long it took me to get parked. I LIKE a packed house and full lots as part of the Gameday experience. One of the most depresssing things to me when the Platinum lot was created was the lack of fans in it.

BIG TORO
10-01-2010, 12:40 PM
Sweet!

JB if you ever need me to print one for you I can do! I never bring any extra people so just let me know BUD!

Beer and Metal
10-01-2010, 01:17 PM
Oh, great. I finally will be going to my first Texans game in a couple of weeks on my birthday, and now I better scramble to get a parking pass. I have a feeling the prices are gonna double.

Yankee_In_TX
10-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Oh, great. I finally will be going to my first Texans game in a couple of weeks on my birthday, and now I better scramble to get a parking pass. I have a feeling the prices are gonna double.

I'm not clear why you need to scramble to get a parking pass?

The Texans have not sold cash parking passes for about 2 years now (and if you didn't know that, that stinks), last week, if true, was a fluke (and a mistake IMHO).

Beer and Metal
10-01-2010, 01:25 PM
I'm not clear why you need to scramble to get a parking pass?

The Texans have not sold cash parking passes for about 2 years now, last week, if true, was a fluke (and a mistake IMHO).

I'm talking about the ones available on craigslist, stub hub, etc. Blue parking goes for around $60 at the moment. This new policy might encourage the resellers to jack up the price.

JB
10-01-2010, 01:26 PM
JB if you ever need me to print one for you I can do! I never bring any extra people so just let me know BUD!

You can print a tailgate ticket? Do you have extra?

hobie
10-01-2010, 01:27 PM
I'm talking about the ones available on craigslist, stub hub, etc. Blue parking goes for around $60 at the moment. This new policy might encourage the resellers to jack up the price.

Not so sure about that.. Having a parking pass still does not allow one to tailgate unless you have a game ticket or a tailgate pass...Buying a parking pass now does not grant you tailgating rights as in the past...

BIG TORO
10-01-2010, 01:31 PM
You can print a tailgate ticket? Do you have extra?

Pm sent!

Blake
10-01-2010, 01:31 PM

Not so sure about that.. Having a parking pass still does not allow one to tailgate unless you have a game ticket or a tailgate pass...Buying a parking pass now does not grant you tailgating rights as in the past...

Hobie speaks the truth.

Parking Pass: You can park your car in the lot.

Tailgate Guest Pass: You can enter the parking lot, but not the game.

Game Ticket: You can enter the parking lot and the game.

Just because you have a parking pass doesnt mean you can enter the parking lot. You have to have either a game ticket or a tailgating guest pass. Parking passes on work in conjunction with the game ticket or tailgating guest pass.

sakebomb
10-01-2010, 01:35 PM
Big over reaction by Jaime Roots and the rest of the Texans brass. They should have waited until the Giants game to notice that everything will be back to normal.....especially if the Texans lose to the Raiders. :cricket::cricket:

They should have just focused on the next cowboys visit in eight years.

silvrhand
10-01-2010, 01:38 PM
Well..

Last week everyone was complaining that the parking and tailgating was a mess, and I have to agree. I was there at 8:15 and it took me 20 minutes to park, and another 20 minutes to get over to the Blue Crew, from the BLUE lot.. It was ridiculous and I just don't see how they can maintain that type of atmosphere as the Texans continue to become more successful. They are going to have to do something it is getting out of control.

You can't have 500k people show up and be able to maintain order without extra people, people need jobs, and money so hey maybe it'll stimulate the jobs in the area a bit! :)

Yankee_In_TX
10-01-2010, 01:41 PM

I would think the price will go down because there will be fewer buyer? The folks who previous bought parking passes JUST to tailgate have been (mostly) eliminated from the martket? Maybe not?

Beer and Metal
10-01-2010, 01:43 PM
Hobie speaks the truth.

Parking Pass: You can park your car in the lot.

Tailgate Guest Pass: You can enter the parking lot, but not the game.

Game Ticket: You can enter the parking lot and the game.

Just because you have a parking pass doesnt mean you can enter the parking lot. You have to have either a game ticket or a tailgating guest pass. Parking passes on work in conjunction with the game ticket or tailgating guest pass.

If last week's cash parking truly was a fluke, then it's probably OK. But if there's always been a few thousand cash "under the radar" passes going unnoticed, demand for the real thing will increase.

Yankee_In_TX
10-01-2010, 01:47 PM
If last week's cash parking truly was a fluke, then it's probably OK. But if there's always been a few thousand cash "under the radar" passes going unnoticed, demand for the real thing will increase.

My second hand knowledge:

Years ago, you pulled up with a parking pass and had a huge trailer, you bought more passes at the gate for the trailer.

The Texans halted that due to complaints that the gate sale of parking pass resulted in all kinds of issues.

To my knowledge last week was the first week they did it again in a few years, if indeed they were selling them. And if they were, egg on their face for it.

Joe Texan
10-01-2010, 01:55 PM
You guys are the ones who are gonna screw up the parking by complaining. You are dealing with the NFL and they do not know you personally. You are a number to them so do not worry about it. I like to tailgate and I do not need you screwing it up for me.

Texan Bulldog
10-01-2010, 01:56 PM
"All visitors to Reliant Park MUST have a game ticket or other team-issued credential to be on the Reliant Park grounds on Houston Texans home game days." (From The Texan Email)

A parking pass is a team-issued credential, so as I read this, if I have a parking pass, I am able to enter the grounds in my vehicle, and am legally on the grounds, therfore I can tailgate.

I am a season ticket holder since 02', and have a few parking passes. I think this policy is mainly to discourage the walk up crowd that load up wagons and coolers, and walk into the lots before game time.

This is a good thing.

Remember, there is also a policy on big speakers in the lots, but I still seem them in each lot.

Dread-Head
10-01-2010, 02:00 PM
Blame it on the violence, its better than no tailgating at all right? Like the old Astrodome days.

So I can't just randomly show up after church and hang with the Blue-Crew because a bunch of Cowgirl fans showed up and elected to be the complete *grass holes we've always thought them to be? And they wonder why we don't Duckin' like em!

*Gr*******s...are holes in grass :thisbig:

JT
10-01-2010, 02:04 PM
You guys are the ones who are gonna screw up the parking by complaining. You are dealing with the NFL and they do not know you personally. You are a number to them so do not worry about it. I like to tailgate and I do not need you screwing it up for me.

Aww come on! Good law abiding folks who have been tailgating for years with or without a ticket are just wanting to keep tradition and support going and are being unjustly held back because of idiots can't act right. I don't blame them for complaining. But everyone shouldn't have to suffer.

Yankee_In_TX
10-01-2010, 02:04 PM
A parking pass is a team-issued credential, so as I read this, if I have a parking pass, I am able to enter the grounds in my vehicle, and am legally on the grounds, therfore I can tailgate.

Would you really make that argument with a straight face? A parking pass is not a team credential. Team credentials are for media, employees, special guests, etc and hang around your neck.

They are also trying to discourage Bubba who buys a parking pass on Ebay and rolls up with a truck full of people and not on person in the truck has a game ticket.

Yankee_In_TX
10-01-2010, 02:05 PM
So I can't just randomly show up after church and hang with the Blue-Crew because a bunch of Cowgirl fans showed up and elected to be the complete *grass holes we've always thought them to be? And they wonder why we don't Duckin' like em!

*Gr*******s...are holes in grass :thisbig:

I would assert this does not affect you - because if you asked any one of us would buy a tailgate ticket for you.

Dread-Head
10-01-2010, 02:08 PM
I would assert this does not affect you - because if you asked any one of us would buy a tailgate ticket for you.

Thank you sir.

Blake
10-01-2010, 02:08 PM
"All visitors to Reliant Park MUST have a game ticket or other team-issued credential to be on the Reliant Park grounds on Houston Texans home game days." (From The Texan Email)

Again, a parking pass isnt enough to enter the parking lot. You must have a game ticket or tailgate guest pass for each person in the vehicle with you. PERIOD.

GlassHalfFull
10-01-2010, 02:09 PM
I gambled last night and bought 4 tailgating passes to the remaining games.

runs off to ebay to make a killing. :evil:

Texan Bulldog
10-01-2010, 02:12 PM
Would you really make that argument with a straight face? A parking pass is not a team credential. Team credentials are for media, employees, special guests, etc and hang around your neck.

They are also trying to discourage Bubba who buys a parking pass on Ebay and rolls up with a truck full of people and not on person in the truck has a game ticket.

I personally won't have a problem with this since I do have tickets and ample parking. All I am saying is that the team issues game tickets, parking passes, tailgating tickets, media credentials. If I want to have my buddy meet us in the lot, why can't I just give him a parking pass for the game? That gets him into the lot. He just won't be able to walk in to tailgate. I think everything will work itself out in time anyway. It needed to be dealt with because things got way out of hand the last few games.

Yankee_In_TX
10-01-2010, 02:19 PM
If I want to have my buddy meet us in the lot, why can't I just give him a parking pass for the game?

Because they're trying to eliminate tailgaters who don't have tickets to the game, period. Right or wrong, that is their intent.

They've given a work around where you can give your buddy a $10 tailgate only ticket that gets him in the lot be it on foot or by car.

Yankee_In_TX
10-01-2010, 02:20 PM
I gambled last night and bought 4 tailgating passes to the remaining games.

runs off to ebay to make a killing. :evil:

I thought about it, but I'm to busy to be hawking tickets, lol.

spurstexanstros
10-01-2010, 02:26 PM
I knew Cowboy fan would ruin it for everybody!

yup

Yankee_In_TX
10-01-2010, 02:27 PM
Has this made the rounds on here? GHETTO!!! And these are the types of folks the Texans hope will be eliminated from tailgating:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ-JBXLFWkg&has_verified=1

BIG TORO
10-01-2010, 02:29 PM
Has this made the rounds on here? GHETTO!!! And these are the types of folks the Texans hope will be eliminated from tailgating:

I seen this on the news, **** like this is what makes me so happy they passed this new rule.

imatexan
10-01-2010, 02:32 PM
I actually thought the cowboys game seemed like it was very well organized.

My car had three people in it(all with tickets) and we got to the stadium around 10 to meet a few people to tailgate before the game and had no traffic problems at all.

I also noticed during introductions and kickoff, it was the most fans I have seen in the seats in a LONG time maybe since the first game at Reliant. I know some people had problems but just by the amount of fans in the seats it could not have been that much of a problem.

After the game, it took around 30 minutes to get out of the parking lot. That is around what it normally takes(this was my first time I parked in the blue lot because I normally always park in the red).

I just don't see how you can say it was the Texans organizations fault because it seemed that they had double the amount of people as usual and MOST of the fans seemed to be in the stadium before hand.

*This is just regarding entering parking lots/the stadium.

JT
10-01-2010, 02:35 PM

From what I read in the comments, they are blaming that puncher for all of whats happened regarding this new policy and looking to identify him to HPD so he can be charged with assault. Hey I'm all for this piece of trash as being the scapegoat, make him public enemy #1.

hollywood_texan
10-01-2010, 02:37 PM
I just reread the e-mail and here is my thought.

Maybe they are not going to check everybody coming in. If someone is a problem while tailgating, they ask to see their ticket, and if they don't produce one, they are gone from the premises.

That way they have grounds to remove someone from the parking lot because they don't have a ticket (which is easy to determine) and don't have to bother with the disturbance issue. It would be cut and dry...

disaacks3
10-01-2010, 02:42 PM

The NFL isn't responsible for this debacle, the Texans organization is.

To the Texans, I am indeed a number, a PSL number, a ticket # and a Parking Space number. To that effect, I would be remiss if I didn't inform them of my displeasure in a NEW policy that I feel will only degrade my "gameday experience".

On another note: I wonder what the parking pass legalese reads like? If the pass entitles the bearer to a space before, during and after the game, the Texans might run into legal issues for "changing the rules" in the middle of the game, so to speak. Next year, the parking passes can say whatever, but if there's ANY documentation provided by the Texans that states the "entitlement" to the space exists, then, as long as you're NOT a pedestrian, it'll be hard to enforce.

Texan Bulldog
10-01-2010, 02:48 PM

Maybe they are not going to check everybody coming in. If someone is a problem while tailgating, they ask to see their ticket, and if they don't produce one, they are gone from the premises.

That way they have grounds to remove someone from the parking lot because they don't have a ticket (which is easy to determine) and don't have to bother with the disturbance issue. It would be cut and dry...

My thoughts exactly. This gives them the authority to get rid of the trash if there is a problem.

SheTexan
10-01-2010, 02:58 PM

This happened on the red lot this past Sunday. Gang related fight that sent fans to the hosp. People were able to get on ANY lot without a ticket to the game, OR a parking pass. These dudes just walked onto the lot and caused a fight. I can see a lot more of this crap happening as Texan tailgating becomes more and more popular. PEOPLE, not just fans, wanting someplace to hang out on a nice Sunday afternoon, drinking, partying, and stealing whatever they can find. We made the news this past year as America's #1 tailgate, now we pay the price.

For me, I'm just tired of HOUSTON Cowboy and Titan fans roaming our lots like they were their own. BY GAWD this is TEXAN territory and we need to remember that!! We had problems this past weekend simply because Houston Cowboy fans decided to take over, and WE allowed that to happen. The Texans are not all to blame. I blame the PSL owners who sold out to Cowboy fans for huge profit. YOU caused this major F-up, so don't blame anyone but yourselves, and quit bitching about something YOU caused!!! JMO! Cowboy fans came in by the truckloads! There were over 20,000 in the parking areas during the game. Are we so dense to think that these people came from Dallas?? Face it! THere are more Cowboy and Titan fans in Houston than Texan fans. Sad, but true!! This is OUR house, buy a ticket or stay at home!!! JMO!!

killerkev
10-01-2010, 03:09 PM
Makes me glad that I just take the light rail on the rare occasion I get to go.

Yeah, but that might be long line in from the LightRail, if they are checking every person for a ticket.
Just FYI

Tedc
10-01-2010, 03:14 PM
I am not concerned.

Double Barrel
10-01-2010, 03:24 PM

They can already kick you off the property if you're a troublemaker, regardless if you have a ticket to the game or not.

According to Texans rep, Jaime Roots, this morning on the radio, they are stating that they will check ALL pedestrian traffic and a majority of vehicles into the lots.

I think this is unrealistic, to be honest, and the delays will definitely cause season ticket holders to stand up and holler the next day.

I can see both sides, but the organization has to serve the paying customers' best interests first and foremost. That's just Business 101, and a few individual inconveniences is very minor compared to serving the needs of season ticket holders.

silvrhand
10-01-2010, 03:27 PM
Let's just face it in today's society the few always ruin it for the many, and if the Texans don't start enforcing something it's only a matter of time before someone gets hurt and then the Texans get sued for not enforcing policies and then they shutdown tailgating as a whole.

Sometimes I wonder about people these days..

killerkev
10-01-2010, 03:28 PM

Man, that's awlful. And that guy is probably so proud of himself. What a loser. He will eventually end up in prison.

And what's really bad, is it's all Texans fans fighting each other in that video.
Couldn't someone be wearing a Cowboys jersey???

Double Barrel
10-01-2010, 03:31 PM
Man, that's awlful. And that guy is probably so proud of himself. What a loser. He will eventually end up in prison.

And what's really bad, is it's all Texans fans fighting each other in that video.
Couldn't someone be wearing a Cowboys jersey???

I noticed that, too. Many folks are blaming Cowboys fans, but the fights that I've seen on video and heard about have all been Texans on Texans. That is sad and pathetic for so many reasons.

Texecutioner
10-01-2010, 03:49 PM
Don't like this rule.

Total knee jerk reaction to the Cowboy game. I'll be emailing the Texans headquarters about this. Either that and or sending a letter. Tailgating has been a great experience for us for a long time with no problems. The Texans need front office need to stop acting like they can't be problem solvers and up security for rivalry games like this where fans from another city are this close. The tailgating experience is supposed to be #1 here, and now they're creating rules that have the ability to cause all sorts of problems.

Honoring Earl 34
10-01-2010, 03:53 PM
This happened on the red lot this past Sunday. Gang related fight that sent fans to the hosp. People were able to get on ANY lot without a ticket to the game, OR a parking pass. These dudes just walked onto the lot and caused a fight. I can see a lot more of this crap happening as Texan tailgating becomes more and more popular. PEOPLE, not just fans, wanting someplace to hang out on a nice Sunday afternoon, drinking, partying, and stealing whatever they can find. We made the news this past year as America's #1 tailgate, now we pay the price.

For me, I'm just tired of HOUSTON Cowboy and Titan fans roaming our lots like they were their own. BY GAWD this is TEXAN territory and we need to remember that!! We had problems this past weekend simply because Houston Cowboy fans decided to take over, and WE allowed that to happen. The Texans are not all to blame. I blame the PSL owners who sold out to Cowboy fans for huge profit. YOU caused this major F-up, so don't blame anyone but yourselves, and quit bitching about something YOU caused!!! JMO! Cowboy fans came in by the truckloads! There were over 20,000 in the parking areas during the game. Are we so dense to think that these people came from Dallas?? Face it! THere are more Cowboy and Titan fans in Houston than Texan fans. Sad, but true!! This is OUR house, buy a ticket or stay at home!!! JMO!!

I had a friend get cracked over the head with a beer bottle . A group threw a football and broke a window . My friends group asked them to stop throwing the ball . The ball was thrown right at them and the guy slicing the brisket stabbed the ball . The thrower and over a dozen of his friends came over to the guy with the broke window and who stabbed the ball and started beating him . My friend said that he couldn't just sit there and when he tried to get the guys off , a longneck was broke over his forehead .

If I was a ticket holder , psl owning , parking pass owning fan , I would be happy with the new rules . It's a game not the lolapooloza or wwf .

disaacks3
10-01-2010, 04:00 PM
I had a friend get cracked over the head with a beer bottle . A group threw a football and broke a window . My friends group asked them to stop throwing the ball . The ball was thrown right at them and the guy slicing the brisket stabbed the ball . The thrower and over a dozen of his friends came over to the guy with the broke window and who stabbed the ball and started beating him . My friend said that he couldn't just sit there and when he tried to get the guys off , a longneck was broke over his forehead .

If I was a ticket holder , psl owning , parking pass owning fan , I would be happy with the new rules . It's a game not the lolapooloza or wwf .

There seems to be a huge assumption that ALL of the "riff-raff" didn't have tickets to the game. Yes, I'm aware of the percentages for this LAST game, but extrapolating those numbers to the entire season just doesn't make sense. We've only had one real fight in the Blue Crew and that was caused by a Titan fan who HAD been inside Reliant. Having a "pass / ticket/etc." doesn't cure drunkenness, stupidity or violence.

Tailgate
10-01-2010, 04:09 PM

Damn straight. The riff raff has been increasing at tailgates for a while now... not just this past game. My buddies GF got punched in the face by a dude and then his buddies jumped my buddy after he tried to defend her. Same riff raff that this organization is trying to keep out. How else are they supposed to do it? The Texans tailgating was superior long before the riff raff starting showing up just for the partying. No reason it wont still be great.

I personally dont understand the need to go out to a parking lot to party if you are not actually going to the game. I would much rather go to a friends house or throw a watching party without all the hassle and the tease of not actually being able to go into the stadium.

Great rule. But I just doubt they are going to be able to enforce it.

Honoring Earl 34
10-01-2010, 04:09 PM
There seems to be a huge assumption that ALL of the "riff-raff" didn't have tickets to the game. Yes, I'm aware of the percentages for this LAST game, but extrapolating those numbers to the entire season just doesn't make sense. We've only had one real fight in the Blue Crew and that was caused by a Titan fan who HAD been inside Reliant. Having a "pass / ticket/etc." doesn't cure drunkenness, stupidity or violence.

I think that there's social tailgaiting and then there's the nfl hooligans . If a person doesn't have anything invested ( except a case of Miller Lite ) , he/she doesn't have anything to lose . If a person is a guest of a ticket holder , then their more likely to behave .

The1ApplePie
10-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Parking lots always draw gangs.
:bat:
I've been a lots where the Skinheads, MS 13, Crips, and Vietnamese gangs all showed up. It was like the United Nations of scumbags. (not at a Texans game, but someplace else)

Texecutioner
10-01-2010, 04:19 PM

This is what security is for.

Stemp
10-01-2010, 04:23 PM
I got a response to my email to fanfeedback.

Dear John,
Thank you for your email and support of the Houston Texans. We appreciate your feedback regarding the new tailgating guidelines. We have been evaluating this since last season for many reasons and this is the best option. If you would like to bring friends that do not have a game ticket please contact our ticket office to purchase the wristband. Please let us know if you have any questions. Thank you and have a great day.

GO TEXANS!

Seems like the 2000 is a general rule, not hard and fast. So if you have friends and family who want to go, they'll get you the tailgating only passes.

I'm starting to soften up my stance. $10 actually isn't that bad to tailgate. It may hit some corporate tailgates hard as they try to get large numbers for their clients, but if you have someone you want to bring along, it sounds like you can do it.

Double Barrel
10-01-2010, 04:25 PM
I think that there's social tailgaiting and then there's the nfl hooligans . If a person doesn't have anything invested ( except a case of Miller Lite ) , he/she doesn't have anything to lose . If a person is a guest of a ticket holder , then their more likely to behave .

My last full season of tailgating was 2008, and I went to a few games last year. It did seem like the hooligan factor was slowly increasing as time went on, more and more huge tailgates with massive speakers and lots of people staying in the lot during the game, beer bongs, jello shots, and other booze delivery gimmicks, and more of a party vibe and less of a family atmosphere like in the beginning.

I'm really not surprised that it's come to this, though, but I must admit that I have a low opinion of people in general and tend to expect the worst. They never seem to disappoint in that regard.

At least the organization is trying to do something instead of just ignoring the problems until they become too big and everyone loses the privilege of tailgating. Personally, if I was still a season ticket holder and going there every home game, I'd applaud this policy.

disaacks3
10-01-2010, 04:27 PM
This is what security is for. That's my point. Crowd control is the Texans' job. If the crowd size was a surpise for them, then they weren't forecasting well. What WILL they do when ticketed fans start acting up (like countless cases beforehand)?

God help us if we get another Superbowl...what WILL they do? :sarcasm:

Tailgate
10-01-2010, 04:37 PM
That's my point. Crowd control is the Texans' job. If the crowd size was a surpise for them, then they weren't forecasting well. What WILL they do when ticketed fans start acting up (like countless cases beforehand)?

To what point? What if 100,000 people showed up just to tailgate?

silvrhand
10-01-2010, 04:46 PM
This is what security is for.

If you really think that security can account for 100k+ in the parking lot, while trying to provide security for 70k inside the stadium you are probably not going to like the answer you'll get.

They are way too liable to continue to have problems in the parking lots, if they don't get it under control they'll shut it down. You know if the problems persist it'll come, again the few ruin it for the many. If you can't see it's getting worse you are probably not paying enough attention or not showing up.

silvrhand
10-01-2010, 04:47 PM

I would not be shocked if we had 100k in the parking lot during the game last week, it was crazy..

Yankee_In_TX
10-01-2010, 04:47 PM

I'm also worried that as the Texans become more popular and the tailgating gets advertised to folks (like those in the video) more and more as a 'free party' problems will only increase.

Here's to hoping the policy helps and if not they change it.

Double Barrel
10-01-2010, 04:49 PM
I would not be shocked if we had 100k in the parking lot during the game last week, it was crazy..

I mentioned it earlier, but HPD estimated that there were 150,000-175,000 people on the lots, and only 70,000 of those were actually going to the game.

SheTexan
10-01-2010, 04:51 PM
That's my point. Crowd control is the Texans' job. If the crowd size was a surpise for them, then they weren't forecasting well. What WILL they do when ticketed fans start acting up (like countless cases beforehand)?

PSL owners will be held resp for WHOEVER is sitting in their seats, and that's the way it should be. Last year, a guy who sits close to me, invited a friend who got into an altercation with another fan. SOMEONE in our section reported it to the FO and he received a call from the Texans the next Tuesday telling him to basically keep those who occupy his seats in check or he would chance losing his PSLs. I look at it as one way of inforcing "crowd control."

I did not see any problems at the last SB, regardless of the pathetic, idiotic Pats fans. THANK GAWD above there was NO tailgating!! It was an entire different set up than what we see on a week to week basis. I'm not sure the Texans KNEW the extent of the massive sell out by Texan fans to Cowboy fans. Obviously, they underestimated the number of Texan fans who love the Cowboys more than their home team. Hopefully, they learned a lesson and we will NEVER see a repeat of that fiasco EVER again!! I will bet you a paycheck we will NOT see such a major messup in 4 yrs when we go to Dallas.

disaacks3
10-01-2010, 05:09 PM
PSL owners will be held resp for WHOEVER is sitting in their seats, and that's the way it should be. Last year, a guy who sits close to me, invited a friend who got into an altercation with another fan. SOMEONE in our section reported it to the FO and he received a call from the Texans the next Tuesday telling him to basically keep those who occupy his seats in check or he would chance losing his PSLs. I look at it as one way of inforcing "crowd control."

I did not see any problems at the last SB, regardless of the pathetic, idiotic Pats fans. THANK GAWD above there was NO tailgating!! It was an entire different set up than what we see on a week to week basis. I'm not sure the Texans KNEW the extent of the massive sell out by Texan fans to Cowboy fans. Obviously, they underestimated the number of Texan fans who love the Cowboys more than their home team. Hopefully, they learned a lesson and we will NEVER see a repeat of that fiasco EVER again!! I will bet you a paycheck we will NOT see such a major messup in 4 yrs when we go to Dallas.

See, there's part of that slippery slope that I'm worried about.

EX: The Texans advertise selling your tickets on Stubhub. The NFL advertises selling them through TicketExchange
1. I put my tickets on Stubhub / Ticket Exchange and some Cryboys fan buys 'em.
2. Said Cryboys fan shows up and gets into an altercation.
3. Texans tell me that my PSL is in danger of being revoked.

Really? You mean I used an NFL/TEXANS "sponsored" vendor to perform a ticket transaction (that they fully ENCOURAGE) and I'm being penalized for it? If this EVER happens, expect a really large lawsuit over it. Heck, what if I donated it to charity on the Texans site and the kid causes trouble?

Unlike flying as a pass-rider using my wife's benefits, this isn't some company benefit that I'm utilizing for reduced / no charge here. This is a multi-billion dollar industry that I pay FULL PRICE for tickets to. Tickets are publicly available for anyone to buy. I am NOT responsible for 3rd-party conduct for an entity I can't possibly even know (if on Stubhub, etc.)

How does this relate to the Texans NEW policy? They are stating (in no uncertain terms) that the PSL holder will be liable for the conduct of anyone using these new passes. In my view, if the Texans / NFL are facilitating that exchange through a website THEY are promoting, then they are just as responsible for that conduct.

Texans_Chick
10-01-2010, 05:29 PM
I don't have a problem with trying to eliminate scumbags from the tailgates. And I know that it is hard to make a narrowly tailored policy that doesn't present problems like trying to exchange tickets at the game.

Hopefully they put scary looking signs about that say, "Please be prepared to show tickets." And then they don't really check everyone's tickets in the cars coming in because that would be a slow pain in the ass.

Yankee_In_TX
10-01-2010, 05:36 PM
In my view, if the Texans / NFL are facilitating that exchange through a website THEY are promoting, then they are just as responsible for that conduct.

I get what you're saying, but as a lawyer I would not take that case :)

SheTexan
10-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Definitely a slippery slope Dan! I have no idea what the answer is either. To big for my beany brain to deal with. I know I was slapped back into reality this past Sunday. Have NO doubt, this City's football loyalty lies with the Dallas Cowboys, not the Houston Texans. Come Nov when we play the Titans, we will see the same thing. We, TEXAN fans, are a minority in our own City.

I still applaud the Texans for making this change. All of us will find a way to take care of friends and family, it's the OTHER that seems to be a growing problem.

dbruder44
10-01-2010, 05:51 PM

Looks like a blue pass will be available next year or sooner

dbruder44
10-01-2010, 05:54 PM
See, there's part of that slippery slope that I'm worried about.

EX: The Texans advertise selling your tickets on Stubhub. The NFL advertises selling them through TicketExchange
1. I put my tickets on Stubhub / Ticket Exchange and some Cryboys fan buys 'em.
2. Said Cryboys fan shows up and gets into an altercation.
3. Texans tell me that my PSL is in danger of being revoked.

Really? You mean I used an NFL/TEXANS "sponsored" vendor to perform a ticket transaction (that they fully ENCOURAGE) and I'm being penalized for it? If this EVER happens, expect a really large lawsuit over it. Heck, what if I donated it to charity on the Texans site and the kid causes trouble?

Unlike flying as a pass-rider using my wife's benefits, this isn't some company benefit that I'm utilizing for reduced / no charge here. This is a multi-billion dollar industry that I pay FULL PRICE for tickets to. Tickets are publicly available for anyone to buy. I am NOT responsible for 3rd-party conduct for an entity I can't possibly even know (if on Stubhub, etc.)

How does this relate to the Texans NEW policy? They are stating (in no uncertain terms) that the PSL holder will be liable for the conduct of anyone using these new passes. In my view, if the Texans / NFL are facilitating that exchange through a website THEY are promoting, then they are just as responsible for that conduct.

They are trying to keep people from buying and selling them for a profit like the 50 or so passes on Ebay, ie a broker could lose his seats, this should minimize their buying and selling

OrangeLotPole8
10-01-2010, 05:55 PM
I see both sides, but hate having to shell out another $160 per season after I already pay for my 70 year old mom and 67 year old aunts parking pass. That is now $390 for them just to drive in, watch our tailgating stuff, and watch it on TV. There has to be a better way to control the parking (LIKE CHECKING PARKING PASSES at any tailgate using one without a car in it).

Double Barrel
10-01-2010, 06:02 PM
Looks like this 'new' policy could be a part of a trend with NFL teams:

League trend

A review of guidelines at several stadiums found that other NFL teams are moving their tailgaters farther away from stadiums or instituting stricter rules.

In Chicago, the Bears prohibit fans without tickets from being in stadium parking lots during the game. According to newspaper reports, that was done to discourage drunkenness and troublemakers.

Like the Cowboys, the Washington Redskins also announced they were moving tailgaters to the back of some of their lots.

Hans Steiniger, a Detroit resident who is documenting his tour of every NFL stadium at his Quest for 31 Web site, said tailgating is much less of a free-for-all than it once was. Teams and the league seem to be much more concerned about fire safety, security and cutting down on drunkenness.

Source: Dallas Cowboys fans hope new tailgate rules don't spoil the party (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/082009dnmettailgating.3cc6c8d.html)

DoCRoN
10-01-2010, 09:10 PM

When I first heard about the new policy, my immediate reaction was dislike. I'm a "don't tell me what to do" kind of person. However the more I've thought/read about it, I'm ok with it. Our tailgate is pretty tame anyway, so it doesn't really change our approach other than buying a few $10 passes.

I think it pisses people off right now because its an inconvenient and "not fun" change. Its all about paradigm. Lets say back in '02, tailgating wasn't allowed (like @ the Dome). Then lets say in '05, with tremendous fan feedback, tailgating became allowed for Texans games, but you had to have a game ticket and parking pass. Yay! Everyone would've been stoked.

As for the "just add more security" take.. I don't see why the Texans should be responsible for managing the 10's of thousands of extra people that decide to wander onto their property. They feel its not working, and they want to limit the # of peeps on their property.

Speedy
10-01-2010, 09:15 PM
My last full season of tailgating was 2008, and I went to a few games last year. It did seem like the hooligan factor was slowly increasing as time went on, more and more huge tailgates with massive speakers and lots of people staying in the lot during the game, beer bongs, jello shots, and other booze delivery gimmicks, and more of a party vibe and less of a family atmosphere like in the beginning.

I'm really not surprised that it's come to this, though, but I must admit that I have a low opinion of people in general and tend to expect the worst. They never seem to disappoint in that regard.

At least the organization is trying to do something instead of just ignoring the problems until they become too big and everyone loses the privilege of tailgating. Personally, if I was still a season ticket holder and going there every home game, I'd applaud this policy.

No, I don't agree that this is about the organization trying to do something. If that were the case, something would have been done long before.

One of the big problems is the huge tailgate setups that have their own DJ's, where you have to purchase wristbands to enter their tailgate so you can eat and mostly drink all you want and the like. These things are more like a night club than a tailgate and they get anywhere from 50 to 100 people or more coming out who do NOT go to the game.

And the Texans can be blamed for some of this because they sold the parking passes to some of these groups that aren't even there for football. We have a season ticket holder in our group that can't even purchase a parking pass because the Texans have no more to sell. Yeah, a season ticket holder can't get a parking pass.

I agree that there should be a limit to the amount of people that can be out there. I mean, I get that you can't have 15-20,000 extra people just showing up on top of the 70,000 that go to the game. I get that. What I don't get is trying to make laws and policies thinking you're going to keep people from being stupid. That can't be done. And since it can't be done, I think it's wrong to make the people who go out there and do this the way the TEXANS have encouraged and promoted for 8+ years, be the ones to have to pay for this stupidity from a few.

My daughter and her boyfriend like to come out and spend some time with the family and soak in the great atmosphere of a Texans tailgate. He's a big fan and likes to go to the game. She is not a big sports fan and would rather hang out at our camp with a couple of friends while we're at the game. AND the fact that we don't have to totally break down before we go in with them staying is a plus. Now, that can't happen, unless of course I pay for it.

So no, it seems less like the Texans are trying to do something and more like a way for them to make a few extra bucks. They haven't been corncerned about any of this for the 83 previous tailgates and now we're letting a group of opposing teams fans dictate how things are run on our own home turf.

Again, I agree there probably should be a limit, but am disappointed how the Texans are handling it and extremely disappointed that the ones who do it right, the ones that have made Houston Texans tailgating the best in the NFL, are the ones who have to be punished and pay.

Texan JBZ
10-02-2010, 08:19 AM
8 years folks. 8 LONG years I've been tailgating out in the yellow lot. And now, boom, over. I didn't post on here yesterday because I was so flippin pissed that my post would have been taken down. Now, I've read some of these high horse posts on this thread and some of you that are a little more financially privileged than others need to get a grip. I've never purchased season tickets for the Texans. Why would I? Up to this point, its been a bad investment. And I love this team just as much as any one of you do. I've endured every crappy season and game just like anyone else, and I'm still their biggest supporter. On occasion, I've been able to purchase tickets when my money allowed it. Hell, I've gotten free tickets from others just because they would rather stay out and tailgate and let rabid ass go into the stadium and lose my voice. In 8 years, I've hardly ever missed a tailgate. Its been one of the joys out of my year.

And now, POOF! Over! I, along with some of my friends, would always help setup, breakdown, cook, clean, and entertain clients for the sponsors of the tailgate. We had a pretty nice setup, so it was a lot of fun just posting up in the parking lot and watching the game on the 50" HD tv that was built into the side of the trailer. We would also keep an eye on everything while people were inside the stadium. Fans from various teams such as the cowboys, Saints, 49ers, titans, Chargers, and Chiefs would often frequent out tailgate. They were all great football fans who absolutely LOVED our tailgate scene. Some would even root for the Texans. Hell, I've taken a few people over to that damn overpriced Go Texans store so that they could buy apparel. 8 years and we only had one incident. It occured last weekend with some drunken moron of a cowboy fan. But we handled it promptly without getting security involved. And this is by no means a shot a cowboy fans because one of my best friends works the tailgate with me every home game and is a huge girl fan (God help him). There have been many cowturd fan that has attended the tailgate and we've never had a problem out of any of them except for that one moron.

I moved away from Houston earlier this year because of my job (sigh), but I still rub pennies together to buy gas to drive back to Houston for Texans home games to tailgate. And now the Texans FO tells me that after 8 LONG years I'm no longer welcome!?! Screw em. I'll just hit the bar or stay my black ass at home and enjoy the game on my 60" Sony Wega Full 1080p HD projection screen. Enjoy your lame tailgating scene and increasingly empty stadium Boob. You will have earned it.

Yankee_In_TX
10-02-2010, 11:27 AM
8 years folks. 8 LONG years I've been tailgating out in the yellow lot. And now, boom, over. I didn't post on here yesterday because I was so flippin pissed that my post would have been taken down. Now, I've read some of these high horse posts on this thread and some of you that are a little more financially privileged than others need to get a grip. I've never purchased season tickets for the Texans. Why would I? Up to this point, its been a bad investment. And I love this team just as much as any one of you do. I've endured every crappy season and game just like anyone else, and I'm still their biggest supporter. On occasion, I've been able to purchase tickets when my money allowed it. Hell, I've gotten free tickets from others just because they would rather stay out and tailgate and let rabid ass go into the stadium and lose my voice. In 8 years, I've hardly ever missed a tailgate. Its been one of the joys out of my year.

And now, POOF! Over! I, along with some of my friends, would always help setup, breakdown, cook, clean, and entertain clients for the sponsors of the tailgate. We had a pretty nice setup, so it was a lot of fun just posting up in the parking lot and watching the game on the 50" HD tv that was built into the side of the trailer. We would also keep an eye on everything while people were inside the stadium. Fans from various teams such as the cowboys, Saints, 49ers, titans, Chargers, and Chiefs would often frequent out tailgate. They were all great football fans who absolutely LOVED our tailgate scene. Some would even root for the Texans. Hell, I've taken a few people over to that damn overpriced Go Texans store so that they could buy apparel. 8 years and we only had one incident. It occured last weekend with some drunken moron of a cowboy fan. But we handled it promptly without getting security involved. And this is by no means a shot a cowboy fans because one of my best friends works the tailgate with me every home game and is a huge girl fan (God help him). There have been many cowturd fan that has attended the tailgate and we've never had a problem out of any of them except for that one moron.

I moved away from Houston earlier this year because of my job (sigh), but I still rub pennies together to buy gas to drive back to Houston for Texans home games to tailgate. And now the Texans FO tells me that after 8 LONG years I'm no longer welcome!?! Screw em. I'll just hit the bar or stay my black ass at home and enjoy the game on my 60" Sony Wega Full 1080p HD projection screen. Enjoy your lame tailgating scene and increasingly empty stadium Boob. You will have earned it.

So why is it over? Are you saying you're going to quit your beloved tailgating rather than shell out the ten dollars based on principal?

I am sorry that folks will have to shell out $10 now, but that doesn't seem like a deal breaker if you enjoy tailgating that much?

Speedy
10-02-2010, 11:47 AM
So why is it over? Are you saying you're going to quit your beloved tailgating rather than shell out the ten dollars based on principal?

I am sorry that folks will have to shell out $10 now, but that doesn't seem like a deal breaker if you enjoy tailgating that much?

It's not just the shelling out $10 for a pass. It's the limited amount they have available. And it's the Texans that created this guy's problem. They sold parking passes to non-ticket holders to build up their tailgating, which IMO helps build their fan base some, and now they're ripping the rug out from under them.

The incidents are going to continue to happen because there's stupid people out there. There's been incidents since day one. This is just doing the fans wrong.

Wolf
10-02-2010, 11:51 AM
I look at it as kind of a cover charge to get into a club.

it keeps some of the riff raft out .

Yankee_In_TX
10-02-2010, 11:51 AM
It's not just the shelling out $10 for a pass. It's the limited amount they have available. And it's the Texans that created this guy's problem. They sold parking passes to non-ticket holders to build up their tailgating, which IMO helps build their fan base some, and now they're ripping the rug out from under them.

The incidents are going to continue to happen because there's stupid people out there. There's been incidents since day one. This is just doing the fans wrong.

To my knowledge the Texans ONLY sell parking passes to season ticket holders. Someone can correct me if that is not the case.

I agree there will always be incidents but the 'free party' crowd has been growing and growing and hopefully this will stop the growth of that crowd.

Speedy
10-02-2010, 12:07 PM
To my knowledge the Texans ONLY sell parking passes to season ticket holders. Someone can correct me if that is not the case.

I agree there will always be incidents but the 'free party' crowd has been growing and growing and hopefully this will stop the growth of that crowd.

I know tons of people that have passes and no tickets. You're right though, the Texans may not be the ones who sold it, but getting them from ticket brokers isn't much different.

And I agree with limiting the "free party" crowd. I think the 4 passes per season ticket account is a good idea. I just don't like that it has a max limit of 2,000. How many season ticket accounts are there? I'm guessing 99% of the accounts have 2 or more tickets attached. So even if there's 20,000 accounts, how many of those tailgate?

When the account holders are then held responsible for their guests, they'll put a little more thought into who they give their passes to. There doesn't have to be a $10 punishment for those of us who do no wrong out there, and there doesn't have to be a max limit of passes so that there's a mad scramble every freaking week to try and get passes.

This could be handled a whole lot better than the knee-jerk reaction the Texans are displaying.

Yankee_In_TX
10-02-2010, 12:29 PM
I know tons of people that have passes and no tickets. You're right though, the Texans may not be the ones who sold it, but getting them from ticket brokers isn't much different.

And I agree with limiting the "free party" crowd. I think the 4 passes per season ticket account is a good idea. I just don't like that it has a max limit of 2,000. How many season ticket accounts are there? I'm guessing 99% of the accounts have 2 or more tickets attached. So even if there's 20,000 accounts, how many of those tailgate?

When the account holders are then held responsible for their guests, they'll put a little more thought into who they give their passes to. There doesn't have to be a $10 punishment for those of us who do no wrong out there, and there doesn't have to be a max limit of passes so that there's a mad scramble every freaking week to try and get passes.

This could be handled a whole lot better than the knee-jerk reaction the Texans are displaying.

Thinking about your comments, maybe the Texans should offer a refund to folks who want to turn their parking passes in.

As far as the limit we'll have to see how things play out. I was hoping the Texans would prohibit resale of them so they could make an effort to stop scalpers from buying 1900 of them and putting them on Ebay/Stubhub/etc.

I don't actually think it is knee jerk (though we know the Texans do knee jerk things - see the roof policy) - I think they talked to other teams and asked how they handled it, seems a decent amount of teams do this. Not sure why they didn't institute it in the off season, though.

Tedc
10-02-2010, 01:03 PM
I'm still yawning........

imatexan
10-02-2010, 04:54 PM

Sorry to hear.

Lame tailgating scene and increasingly empty stadium?

HAHA, how about it will still be the NFL's best tailgating and that ticket sales are at an all time high!

Magnolia00
10-02-2010, 07:19 PM
Sorry to hear.

Lame tailgating scene and increasingly empty stadium?

HAHA, how about it will still be the NFL's best tailgating and that ticket sales are at an all time high!

As far as ticket sales...I believe those will always be at an all time high as they are every year but I seriously believe the status of being the number one tailgate city will change soon. If it does...so be it.

Joe Texan
10-02-2010, 11:24 PM
The 2000 limit is flexable, but finding these on ebay is Wrong Wrong Wrong. The texans need to find all these passes on ebay and stup hub and tag them to the season ticket holder and punish them by losing thier ticket.

Joe Texan
10-02-2010, 11:34 PM
64 of the 2000 are listed here for extreme mark up these people should lose thier season Tickets

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_kw=houston&_kw=tailgate&_kw=ticket

Yankee_In_TX
10-03-2010, 09:02 AM
64 of the 2000 are listed here for extreme mark up these people should lose thier season Tickets

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_kw=houston&_kw=tailgate&_kw=ticket

I 100% agree Joe, but it won't happen.

Or at least make them be pull the tickets from Ebay and tell the folks if they are caught again their lose their PSL.

dbruder44
10-03-2010, 09:45 AM
I 100% agree Joe, but it won't happen.

Or at least make them be pull the tickets from Ebay and tell the folks if they are caught again their lose their PSL.

You can always hope that somebody buys them gets arrrested and then the seller would be responsible right..... I can see people paying for big games but the chiefs for about $35 each isn't gonna sell

Yankee_In_TX
10-03-2010, 10:05 AM
You can always hope that somebody buys them gets arrrested and then the seller would be responsible right..... I can see people paying for big games but the chiefs for about $35 each isn't gonna sell

Even though I have sounded like a homer about this whole thing, I don't actually see the Texans revoking a PSL unless it was a very very extraordinary case.

OrangeLotPole8
10-03-2010, 10:19 AM
Why in the world would somebody pay $30-40 for a tailgate pass when they can get a 600 or 700 level game ticket for $50 or so?

imatexan
10-03-2010, 12:17 PM

I read in an article that the Texans were encouraging the sell of these tailgate passes to other fans.

I will find the article later when I have time, it was from one of the news station websites.

disaacks3
10-03-2010, 09:16 PM
From the back of my parking pass: (at the top in 4 pt font)

This permit grants only to the holder a license for access to a designated parking facility and a license to use a designated parking space in that facility to park one non-commercial passenger automobile.

Under the section TAILGATING:

Will be limited to one 8' by 16' space for each valid parking hangtag, and must not cross over into the drive lane designated by the blue lines down each aisle. For safety purposes, all tents must be taken down before entering the statium.

(It also says permit not transferrable...yeah right!)

So, as it appears to me, the Texans are going to have a rough go THIS year telling somebody with a parking pass that they can't "tailgate" without a game ticket.

The biggest people this will affect are those that come to the tailgate trying to find/get a ticket. I'm truly sorry for them that it's come to this.

dbruder44
10-03-2010, 09:46 PM
Why in the world would somebody pay $30-40 for a tailgate pass when they can get a 600 or 700 level game ticket for $50 or so?

Good point cheap tickets will go up in price and parking passes will drop, with some people buying the passes,Ive yet to see on sell for more than face value so far on ebay

Yankee_In_TX
10-03-2010, 10:12 PM
From the back of my parking pass: (at the top in 4 pt font)

This permit grants only to the holder a license for access to a designated parking facility and a license to use a designated parking space in that facility to park one non-commercial passenger automobile.

Under the section TAILGATING:

Will be limited to one 8' by 16' space for each valid parking hangtag, and must not cross over into the drive lane designated by the blue lines down each aisle. For safety purposes, all tents must be taken down before entering the statium.

(It also says permit not transferrable...yeah right!)

So, as it appears to me, the Texans are going to have a rough go THIS year telling somebody with a parking pass that they can't "tailgate" without a game ticket.

The biggest people this will affect are those that come to the tailgate trying to find/get a ticket. I'm truly sorry for them that it's come to this.

So devil's advocate again.....

It they're only sold to season ticket holders, and they are not transferable, why do the Texans have any responsibility to people who buy them on the secondary market?

Norg
10-03-2010, 11:23 PM
This sucks less people= Less fun it used be a big ol party and all the hot girls and what not now its going to be boring VIlle its going to be like tailgating at a jags game THanks Old people for ruining the fun : (

JB
10-03-2010, 11:27 PM
This sucks less people= Less fun it used be a big ol party and all the hot girls and what not now its going to be boring VIlle its going to be like tailgating at a jags game THanks Old people for ruining the fun : (

What?!!! Don't you be blaming us old folks you damn young whippersnapper! :bat:

Texan_Bill
10-03-2010, 11:31 PM

I'm not sure, should I be a young whippersnapper or an old crumedgeon?? :D

Norg
10-03-2010, 11:32 PM

it just sucks man my family has been tailgating for years and now some of our friends and family wont be able to come to the games anymore

it just sucks all around

disaacks3
10-04-2010, 09:45 AM
So devil's advocate again.....

It they're only sold to season ticket holders, and they are not transferable, why do the Texans have any responsibility to people who buy them on the secondary market?

How about the Season ticket holder themselves? What if I wanted to tailgate and send two people in for my seats? What about people who have lots of tickets and only one parking pass?

Once again - If none of this stuff is transferrable, why did the Texans organization put NFL.com/ticketexchange stuff on my seat this year? As unauthorized advertising is prohibited, the Texans can't really "act dumb" here.

Yankee_In_TX
10-04-2010, 11:25 AM
Once again - If none of this stuff is transferrable, why did the Texans organization put NFL.com/ticketexchange stuff on my seat this year? As unauthorized advertising is prohibited, the Texans can't really "act dumb" here.

You know as well as I do!!! ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$). :kitten:

disaacks3
10-04-2010, 11:30 AM
You know as well as I do!!! ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$). :kitten:

No doubt. This just seems short-sighted if that's the goal. How many of those non-ticketed tailgaters come into Bud Plaza to shop at the store?

We need a Tailgating Stimulus Package! :thisbig:

Yankee_In_TX
10-04-2010, 11:54 AM
No doubt. This just seems short-sighted if that's the goal. How many of those non-ticketed tailgaters come into Bud Plaza to shop at the store?

We need a Tailgating Stimulus Package! :thisbig:

I did say (in this thread, maybe??) the Texans should offer to buy back parking passes from folks who want to turn them in. I doubt they will, but that would be fair.

Double Barrel
10-04-2010, 04:37 PM
No, I don't agree that this is about the organization trying to do something. If that were the case, something would have been done long before.

One of the big problems is the huge tailgate setups that have their own DJ's, where you have to purchase wristbands to enter their tailgate so you can eat and mostly drink all you want and the like. These things are more like a night club than a tailgate and they get anywhere from 50 to 100 people or more coming out who do NOT go to the game.

And the Texans can be blamed for some of this because they sold the parking passes to some of these groups that aren't even there for football. We have a season ticket holder in our group that can't even purchase a parking pass because the Texans have no more to sell. Yeah, a season ticket holder can't get a parking pass.

I agree that there should be a limit to the amount of people that can be out there. I mean, I get that you can't have 15-20,000 extra people just showing up on top of the 70,000 that go to the game. I get that. What I don't get is trying to make laws and policies thinking you're going to keep people from being stupid. That can't be done. And since it can't be done, I think it's wrong to make the people who go out there and do this the way the TEXANS have encouraged and promoted for 8+ years, be the ones to have to pay for this stupidity from a few.

My daughter and her boyfriend like to come out and spend some time with the family and soak in the great atmosphere of a Texans tailgate. He's a big fan and likes to go to the game. She is not a big sports fan and would rather hang out at our camp with a couple of friends while we're at the game. AND the fact that we don't have to totally break down before we go in with them staying is a plus. Now, that can't happen, unless of course I pay for it.

So no, it seems less like the Texans are trying to do something and more like a way for them to make a few extra bucks. They haven't been corncerned about any of this for the 83 previous tailgates and now we're letting a group of opposing teams fans dictate how things are run on our own home turf.

Again, I agree there probably should be a limit, but am disappointed how the Texans are handling it and extremely disappointed that the ones who do it right, the ones that have made Houston Texans tailgating the best in the NFL, are the ones who have to be punished and pay.

If it it was only about money, the Texans would have never endorsed tailgating and forced fans to buy the crappy stadium food like the previous owner.

You really think this is about $20,000 to a multi-billion dollar corporation?? That's funny.

The fact of the matter is that their paying customers - season ticket holders - for the most part AGREE with this new policy change. So the Texans have decided to throw the baby out with the bathwater, but guess what, I bet you still pay up next year for season tickets and still tailgate. What difference does it make to them that you're upset about it now?

Your first statement reminds me of an Abe Lincoln quote: "If you call a tail a leg, how many legs has a dog? Five? No, calling a tail a leg don't make it a leg."

Just because you don't think the Texans are not doing something does not mean that they are, in fact, not doing something. This entire thread is devoted to the franchise doing something, regardless if you like/dislike what they are doing doesn't change the fact that they are doing something.

They could just ban tailgating altogether, and then, I guess, you'd think that they were doing something. :winky: