PDA

View Full Version : TBB Video: Isolated Review Series - Owen Daniels

barrett
09-30-2010, 12:30 PM
We've got some video up of "Open" Daniels being not-so-open. It looks like his knee injury has really had an effect on his ability to burst out of cuts.

On the first play, Owen is lined up at the bottom of your screen. He’s set up for a screen that is designed for him to cut it back inside. He breaks from his block and sets up for the screen. As hee catches the ball and cuts inside behind the blockers – it appears that he does the “yabba-dabba-doo”. Watch his legs pumping furiously and yet, he’s barely moving. That burst is missing. The defender, one of the two defensive ends, is able to come all the way back to catch him from behind.

The second play, Daniels is at the bottom of the strong side, next to the RT. He’s running a crossing route and after making a juke to the right he cuts back across to the left. His move gets the defender off balance and it should be “good for another Houston Texans…. First Down” But he doesn’t have the burst to separate from the defender. The defender is able to adjust and make up ground on Daniel’s leading to an incompletion. Johnson is running a very similar route right behind him and has to almost jog in order to keep from interfering with Daniels route. You have to wonder, will he get this burst back or is he done as an elite TE talent in the NFL?

Regardless of weather or not he’s able to perform at an elite level, it makes sense that he’s out there because he’s going to garner significant attention from the defense. As the season wears on the film is going to tell the real story and defenses will eventually wise up. The opposition is going to realize that he’s not the threat he once was, not in his current state anyway. More than likely, Rick Smith has already taken notice and you can bet that they will be sure and remind O.D. of this come contract time.

Joel Dreesen is having his best year as a pro and might be a better option as the #1 TE until Daniels is up to speed but Joel doesn’t have explosive ability either. If Casey were healthy, I’d consider sliding him in to that spot. From an athletic standpoint he could be more dangerous than either Daniels or Dreesen. Unfortunately, #86 is developing a reputation for getting “nicked” at inopportune times. Casey isn’t the blocker that Daniels is and certainly nowhere near Dreesen either.

You can read the rest of the story and see the video here:

http://www.texansbullblog.com/isolated-review-daniels-slowed-knee-injury/featured-articles/isolated-review/

jaayteetx
09-30-2010, 12:42 PM
more great news

barrett
09-30-2010, 01:00 PM
It's not a doom and gloom story. It's just pointing out that he isn't his old self. We are extremely deep at the TE position. The sky is by no means falling. It's very possible that he just needs time to regain that explosiveness.

Would you consider bumping him to the #2 TE spot until he shows more physical improvement or do you think he can be more effective based on the respect he'll garner from defenses around league?

JWarren14
09-30-2010, 02:01 PM
He is on the injury report with a Hammy.

I may put Dressen ahead of him. If OD isn't 100% we know Dressen can make some plays. We need to be all 100% after the bye week, clicking on all cylinders.

dalemurphy
09-30-2010, 04:08 PM
He is on the injury report with a Hammy.

I may put Dressen ahead of him. If OD isn't 100% we know Dressen can make some plays. We need to be all 100% after the bye week, clicking on all cylinders.

The problem is that we run a lot of two TE sets. So, the question is whether James Casey is an upgrade right now and how likely he is to see snaps ahead of OD.

TimeKiller
09-30-2010, 06:04 PM
I think it would be foolish to believe he's 100% but the questions remain, what is he at 100% and when will he be 100%? He certainly hasn't shown the seperation of pre injury OD, I think we're all a little more than willing to give it some time but that's really only because we get to watch Dreesen be solid and we know Casey can do some things and there is a guy we just drafted to be the next OD. Plus Hill is still a ? and there will most likely be a TE drafted next year....It sucks that he...well sucks but long term TE is a strong spot on the roster.

CloakNNNdagger
09-30-2010, 06:55 PM
We've got some video up of "Open" Daniels being not-so-open. It looks like his knee injury has really had an effect on his ability to burst out of cuts.

http://www.texansbullblog.com/isolated-review-daniels-slowed-knee-injury/featured-articles/isolated-review/

Good read, Barrett.

I want to tell you that you may have made a very astute observation when you stated "Watch his legs pumping furiously and yet, he’s barely moving. That burst is missing." In addition to the material I PM'ed you, there may be another factor involved if a hamstring graft was used to repair the ACL. Studies have shown that if a hamstring is used, most of the time, the hamstring muscle "regenerates." However, the muscle volume and length is affected. They both are significantly lessened. This muscle atrophy and shortening is associated with significant deficiencies in knee-flexion TORQUE. This combination of hamstring atrophy, shortening and weakness in relationship to a better developed stronger opposing quadraceps muscle group can set up for increased risk for hamstring injuries. Furthermore, even without injury, it could account for OD's observed less than full strides.

Again, good take.

Rey
09-30-2010, 07:01 PM
I wish they'd just trade him. I wish they would have already traded him.

thunderkyss
09-30-2010, 07:43 PM

something don't look right in that second play. Why would we have AJ & OD cutting to the middle that close together?

Rey
09-30-2010, 07:48 PM
something don't look right in that second play. Why would we have AJ & OD cutting to the middle that close together?

They run routes like that all the time...

Notice Dre was coming a little more flat than Dre...It happened to be man covg, but if it's zone you force the LB or whoever is there to make a choice. If he sits on the underneath route you hit OD...If he slides back on the TE you hit Dre underneath...

thunderkyss
09-30-2010, 07:56 PM
They run routes like that all the time...

Notice Dre was coming a little more flat than Dre...It happened to be man covg, but if it's zone you force the LB or whoever is there to make a choice. If he sits on the underneath route you hit OD...If he slides back on the TE you hit Dre underneath...

Nah... I don't think that's it. You see Andre is in motion at the snap. The motion clearly showed they were in man coverage. Surely Andre's route would have had a different route when they identify it is man coverage.

thunderkyss
09-30-2010, 08:01 PM
Which reminds me. When we played the Cowboys in '06, I was furious when I saw Greg Ellis split wide on Andre Johnson or Owen Daniels. It didn't make sense to me that we wouldn't have a game plan that would take advantage of that situation whenever it presented itself.

I know of two times in our game this past Sunday, when Ware was lined up on Andre, and we ran whatever play we had called in the huddle, instead of taking advantage of it. I don't know how many times he was lined up to cover OD, or Dressen, or JJ.....

hookinreds
09-30-2010, 09:34 PM
On the second one I almost want to say that Matt was a little late. OD was open off the cut but then took it up field and by the time the ball got there the defender had the angle on the ball.

barrett
09-30-2010, 09:44 PM
You have to expect him to get more separation than he does. If he's supposed to be that slow then Johnson is going to run over him. He's just not healthy yet.

Brisco_County
09-30-2010, 10:43 PM
Owen still has more strength rehabbing to do. He won't be contributing much this year. But we might see the old OD next year.

barrett
09-30-2010, 11:23 PM
Wouldn't a return to form in January suit our needs just the same? ;)