PDA

View Full Version : AJ may be out this Sunday.

scourge
09-30-2010, 10:34 AM
Didn't see this posted elsewhere... I know it had been discussed, but it had always seemed like he'd play regardless. He'll probably still end up being out there, but FWIW I'd rather him sit out.

"I'm sure it'll be a game-time decision," said the coach. Kubiak added that Johnson is "sore," but no worse for wear than he was at this time last week.

Johnson expects to do some running tomorrow during practice, as he did last Thursday. The four-time Pro Bowler said he has considered the possibility of sitting out a game to give his ankle two weeks to rest, but he’s preparing as if he's going to play on Sunday.

Link (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-3/Johnsons-status-for-Week-4-uncertain/49b27b37-1ee9-470c-8029-250448dcd6e9)

gtexan02
09-30-2010, 10:37 AM
Sounds to me more likely that he's going to play

ESAD2-14
09-30-2010, 10:38 AM
Wouldn't bother me to see him rest this weekend, get that ankle fully healed so AJ won't have to even worry about it.

HTown2ATX
09-30-2010, 10:39 AM
The Raiders don't look like total toilet water and I would not want to just look past them. If AJ is healthy for real play him, if he is legit hurt sit him, but I want to go full bore against the Raiders. I really think they are a little better than their record shows but obviously not world beaters.

Knowing AJ he'll say he is fine to try to play anyway.

JWarren14
09-30-2010, 10:40 AM
Can we suit him up and just see how the game goes without him or will that ruin a gameplan?

The schedule after our bye is brutal and important with all remaining AFC South games coming after the bye.

Along with 2 MNF games and a Thursday night game @ the Linc in Philly.

We should be able to beat the Raiders without AJ.

Ryan
09-30-2010, 12:11 PM
We need him on the field at the least as a decoy. We need Asomugha to cover him so it will open things up for the other guys.

HTown2ATX
09-30-2010, 12:14 PM
We should be able to beat the Raiders without AJ.

Party foul! You know you how many times this team "should" have done something or another.

If the Texans have taught me anything it's that the word "should" needs to be expunged from the vocabulary in regards to them.

And you know it's true....sad at times, but true.

HTown2ATX
09-30-2010, 12:17 PM
We need him on the field at the least as a decoy. We need Asomugha to cover him so it will open things up for the other guys.

If AJ is not 100% and the Raiders and Asomugha realize this they switch DB's out so now someone else is on AJ who is not healthy and risking further injury and Asomugha covers whoever else may be having a good day.

It's a tricky situation....

GuerillaBlack
09-30-2010, 12:24 PM
See, if we had beat the Cowboys, then I'd have no problem sitting AJ this week. But, we didn't, so the Texans need him to play.

Wolf6151
09-30-2010, 12:24 PM
I'd rather he sit out and get healthy, no use risking an ongoing injury. We're going to be running the ball alot anyway agianst the Raiders.

Dread-Head
09-30-2010, 12:28 PM
If his sitting out for a game against Oakland means he recuperates fully and does returns to him old self. I'm all for him chillin for a game.

hookinreds
09-30-2010, 12:30 PM
If AJ is not 100% and the Raiders and Asomugha realize this they switch DB's out so now someone else is on AJ who is not healthy and risking further injury and Asomugha covers whoever else may be having a good day.

It's a tricky situation....

I'm fine with that as long as it's after the first drive where OD delivers on a TE streak getting us down to the 5 and Walter snatches a quick slant to put us up 7-0. Then AJ can sit.

gtexan02
09-30-2010, 12:39 PM
All this sit him play him business is silly.

If he's healthy enough to play, he should play.
If he's not, he should sit.

Why would we sit him if he's good to go?

"Any Given Sunday" applies more this year than in any I can remember. We have some real parity in the NFL now. The Raiders are a few missed FGs away from being 2-1, same record as us. This overconfidence that we can somehow beat them easily even with our best player sitting out is bad mojo.

We've had a lot of trouble with the Raiders in the past. I take no chances

GuerillaBlack
09-30-2010, 12:45 PM
All this sit him play him business is silly.

If he's healthy enough to play, he should play.
If he's not, he should sit.

Why would we sit him if he's good to go?

"Any Given Sunday" applies more this year than in any I can remember. We have some real parity in the NFL now. The Raiders are a few missed FGs away from being 2-1, same record as us. This overconfidence that we can somehow beat them easily even with our best player sitting out is bad mojo.

We've had a lot of trouble with the Raiders in the past. I take no chances

So much trouble against the Raiders, that we are 4-1 against them lifetime. We'd probably run it more than anything, with a few play actions. It's always nice to have AJ out there, but if we can rest him this week, and have him healthier the next two weeks going into the bye, that's something you have to think about. If we were 3-0 right now instead of 2-1, I'd sit AJ, no question about it.

drs23
09-30-2010, 01:24 PM
I read on the Raider site that's it a high-ankle sprain. Hadn't heard that from the Texans. Anyone heard this?

scourge
09-30-2010, 01:25 PM
This overconfidence that we can somehow beat them easily even with our best player sitting out is bad mojo.

I don't have overconfidence at all about beating the Raiders. It's more of a risk/reward thing. Beating the Raiders with AJ and potentially further agitating the injury to the extent that at some point he would have to sit out when we may need him later in the season, OR, rest him at the risk of losing this game to the Raiders so he can be at the very least closer to 100% for the rest of the season. I'll take the latter, please.

scourge
09-30-2010, 01:26 PM
I read on the Raider site that's it a high-ankle sprain. Hadn't heard that from the Texans. Anyone heard this?

Per the link provided in the first post...

The effects of high-ankle sprains often can linger for several weeks, depending on their severity.

“They’re pretty nagging,” Johnson said. “It’s something that’s going to bother me until it just fully heals. After I re-aggravated it last game, they told me that it hadn’t gotten any worse; it was just every time I take a hit on it or I’m tackled a certain way, I’m going to feel pain. The only thing I could do is just come out for a few plays and if I’m able to go back and play, I can continue playing.

"That’s just pretty much how it’s going to be until it fully heals.”

ATXtexanfan
09-30-2010, 01:30 PM
lets go back to that week one game plan

DexmanC
09-30-2010, 01:36 PM
Texans threw the ball, excessively, for the entire first half of the Colts game.
They STILL come out throwing it a little too much for my tastes.

drewmar74
09-30-2010, 01:38 PM
They STILL come out throwing it a little too much for my tastes.

Agreed 100%.

If I were the OC, everyone we faced would get a heavy dose of Arian as the lead off. Lean on the run to set up the play action.....

drs23
09-30-2010, 01:47 PM
Per the link provided in the first post...

OOPS, my bad. Didn't follow the link, just read the posted quotes.

Jeff S.
09-30-2010, 02:03 PM
Party foul! You know you how many times this team "should" have done something or another.

If the Texans have taught me anything it's that the word "should" needs to be expunged from the vocabulary in regards to them.

And you know it's true....sad at times, but true.

Right, along with "should have".

"Should" covers the future, "should have" covers the past. There is no should, just do it.

El Tejano
09-30-2010, 02:05 PM
[[QUOTE]B]So much trouble against the Raiders, that we are 4-1 against them lifetime. [/B]
And that one time was two years ago in Oakland where a much sorrier team whooped us and made us settle for 8-8 because our team came out thinking they were going to run over them. That was with a healthy AJ too. I believe they would've beat us last year too if Gradkowski or someone better than Russell was playing in that game.

silvrhand
09-30-2010, 03:42 PM
See, if we had beat the Cowboys, then I'd have no problem sitting AJ this week. But, we didn't, so the Texans need him to play.

Losing to the cowboys really has no impact on whether or not we make the playoffs, and AFC game such as the raiders does..

Norg
09-30-2010, 11:27 PM
Wouldnt bother me TBH history has shown Aso has shut down AJ for years

I would like to see how he would do aganist a lighter and Faster JJ or a KW

The Pencil Neck
09-30-2010, 11:39 PM

Yes. I'm pretty sure that was on HT.com and I think on chron.com in an article.

GuerillaBlack
10-01-2010, 12:22 AM
Losing to the cowboys really has no impact on whether or not we make the playoffs, and AFC game such as the raiders does..

I see what you're saying, but if we had beat the Cowboys, resting AJ this game would be easier because we would have been 3-0. Now, we're 2-1 and fighting s=to stay above .500.

dc_txtech
10-01-2010, 07:20 PM
Andre Johnson using PRP therapy on ankle

Andre Johnson is undergoing platelet-rich plasma therapy on his high ankle sprain in an effort to play in Week 4 against the Raiders.
The procedure takes blood platelets (healing mechanisms) from one part of a patient's body and injects them into the injured area in order to expedite faster healing. Its efficacy is unpredictable, but PRP did allow Troy Polamalu and Hines Ward to play in Super Bowl XL. It didn't go as well for Giants DT Chris Canty last year. The approach does confirm that Johnson is trying to play, though we remain skeptical that he'll be active, let alone effective.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=184281&id=1575

CloakNNNdagger
10-01-2010, 10:37 PM
Andre Johnson using PRP therapy on ankle

Andre Johnson is undergoing platelet-rich plasma therapy on his high ankle sprain in an effort to play in Week 4 against the Raiders.
The procedure takes blood platelets (healing mechanisms) from one part of a patient's body and injects them into the injured area in order to expedite faster healing. Its efficacy is unpredictable, but PRP did allow Troy Polamalu and Hines Ward to play in Super Bowl XL. It didn't go as well for Giants DT Chris Canty last year. The approach does confirm that Johnson is trying to play, though we remain skeptical that he'll be active, let alone effective.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=184281&id=1575

The results are hit and miss and mostly anecdotal. There are only 2 properly controlled studies that have been carried out on humans. And these have shown no difference in the response to placebo injections. Independent of the questionable use of PRP, IT CANNOT TAKE THE PLACE OF REST. Besides, this is not the run of the mill ankle sprain. It is a HIGH ankle sprain. The main proper criteria for even considering return to play is being PAIN FREE. This absolutely has not been met. Why is Johnson being allowed, and even pushed to return, when it is known that the most common cause of persistent pain following an ankle sprain is incomplete rehabilitation...............and the most common cause of further or recurrent injury is incomplete rehabilitation?

CloakNNNdagger
10-02-2010, 07:56 AM
Ever hear of the saying "Penny wise and dollar foolish?" There may be no more appropriate application than to what's going on with AJ and OD. If some people don't wake up soon, we will be presented with more NEW pictures like these for our long-term viewing enjoyment.

http://www.chron.com/photos/2010/10/01/23513023/260xStory.jpg
In Sunday's game against the Cowboys, the Texans' Andre Johnson re-injured the ankle he hurt against the Redskins.Link (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7228310.html)

Don't count Johnson out against Raiders
Go-to receiver for Texans plans to play, but ankle remains a worry
By DALE ROBERTSON Copyright 2010 Houston Chronicle
Oct. 2, 2010, 12:01AM

For selfish reasons, David Anderson might see Andre Johnson's aching ankle as presenting a fine opportunity for himself.

But Anderson knows what Johnson means to the Texans and he also knows what Johnson's made of, so he's going to assume it will be business as usual in Oakland on Sunday.

"He's the most athletic and toughest guy I've ever met," Anderson said, "so if he has a chance to play, he's going to play."

And that's the sentiment Johnson expressed.

"I'm just trying to do everything I can to be on the field," he said. "I'll get over to the stadium early. I'm preparing to play."

With a caveat.

"The biggest thing is making sure that ankle feels well. I'm not going to do anything to set myself back," he said. "We still have a long season ahead. I don't want to re-injure it again. It got twisted up pretty good in the Dallas game (after suffering the sprain at Washington).

"I was able to go out and run around a little again today and catch a few passes. When I came back in Monday, I was much sorer than I am now."

Johnson admitted he would prefer to get his regular reps during the week because "I always like to practice."

Raiders have his number

The Raiders present a special challenge for Johnson because of the presence in their secondary of Nnamdi Asomugha. Even when healthy, Johnson has struggled against Asomugha, catching just five passes in three meetings.

Johnson calls him "arguably the best corner in the league. You love to go up against guys like him. He presents a great challenge. You don't face many corners the same size as me."

The last time Johnson, the NFL's top receiver the past two seasons, missed starts was in 2007.

After twisting his knee in the second game at Carolina, he had to sit out the next seven games and the Texans, after a 2-0 start, went 2-5 without him.

"We need Andre," said Anderson, the team's fourth receiver. "He's the leader of our group. He'll listen to his body and make the right call. If he can't (play), the rest of us have to step up. That's what we're paid to do — make plays, just like he does."

Johnson and tight end Owen Daniels, who has a tight left hamstring, will be what coach Gary Kubiak calls "game-time decisions." That means they'll be put through their paces in a workout at the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum before Kubiak makes the final call.

Neither practiced Thursday and did little again in Friday's short workout. But Daniels suggested the smart money is on him being in the starting lineup.

He called his injury "a real mild issue," although he admitted early in the week it was really bothering him.

"I wasn't in the best of moods Tuesday and Wednesday," he said. "But it's gotten a lot better. I see no doubt that I'll play. I'd be shocked if I can't."

He tweaked the muscle against the Cowboys, surmising that, after missing all of training camp as he continued rehabbing his surgically repaired right knee, he's getting adjusted to the demands of playing games.

He doesn't believe it has anything to do with "overcompensating" for the knee.

"It's just the grind of getting into football shape and getting used to being banged around again," he said. "It grabbed me a couple of times in the game and the same thing happened on Wednesday."

Joel Dreessen will step in for Daniels if necessary, just as he did for the last half of the 2009 season. Dreessen's backups would then be second-year pro James Casey and rookie Garrett Graham.

Plan B ready

Kubiak admitted he has a backup game plan in place if he has to go without either - or both - Johnson and Daniels but expressed optimism it wouldn't be needed.

"(Daniels) is griping today (about not practicing), so that's a good thing," he said. "We'll see. We need everybody we can get to win a football game.

"At the same time, we have to go off what we see and listen to the trainers. We got a long way to go, so regardless if they're there or not there, that's a decision that has to be made.

"We got to find a way to win the football game. You hope they're there and if they're not we still got to get that done."

Defensively, the Texans will be without linebacker Kevin Bentley, who underwent arthroscopic knee surgery this week, and most likely free safety Eugene Wilson, who also pulled a hamstring against the Cowboys and wasn't able to practice.

"He's the most nicked," Kubiak said.

Third-year pro Dominique Barber figures to get his seventh career start and will share playing time with Troy Nolan.

dale.robertson@chron.com

When full rehabilitation is not completed specifically on a high ankle injury before return to play, a common major contributing factor to reinjury involves POOR PROPRIOCEPTION. Proprioception is the ability to sense (essentially feedback to the brain) in space where a joint is .... if you don't know where your ankle is, the muscles will not be able properly perceive what the position the ankle should take at appropriate times in response to running, stopping, pushing off and cutting to prevent further and recurrent ankle sprain.

dc_txtech
10-02-2010, 08:49 AM
The results are hit and miss and mostly anecdotal. There are only 2 properly controlled studies that have been carried out on humans. And these have shown no difference in the response to placebo injections. Independent of the questionable use of PRP, IT CANNOT TAKE THE PLACE OF REST. Besides, this is not the run of the mill ankle sprain. It is a HIGH ankle sprain. The main proper criteria for even considering return to play is being PAIN FREE. This absolutely has not been met. Why is Johnson being allowed, and even pushed to return, when it is known that the most common cause of persistent pain following an ankle sprain is incomplete rehabilitation...............and the most common cause of further or recurrent injury is incomplete rehabilitation?

Thanks, I was hoping you would comment on this. Gotta spread the rep around...

awtysst
10-02-2010, 08:51 AM

Doc,
Is there any negative side effects from injecting your own platelets from one part of your body to another?

CloakNNNdagger
10-02-2010, 09:37 AM
Doc,
Is there any negative side effects from injecting your own platelets from one part of your body to another?

Serious side effects or complications are not reported. The injection is very painful. There is a very small risk of local infection. It costs $1000-$2000.

awtysst
10-02-2010, 10:14 AM
Serious side effects or complications are not reported. The injection is very painful. There is a very small risk of local infection. It costs $1000-$2000.

Ok. So there is no real downside from this decision. Outside of a painful feeling upon injection and the risk of local infection(as with any type of injection).

Good to know. So aside from $ which AJ can afford, there is no real negative that can come from this. Excellent!

CloakNNNdagger
10-02-2010, 10:52 AM
Ok. So there is no real downside from this decision. Outside of a painful feeling upon injection and the risk of local infection(as with any type of injection).

Good to know. So aside from $ which AJ can afford, there is no real negative that can come from this. Excellent!

Not so fast! The downside is believing that this acts as a miracle cure. Even advocates admitedly use this technique to HASTEN the healing process. REST is still an important part of their regimens. CEASING CONTINUED TRAUMA to tissues is the foremost factor in facilitating healing. Take away the REST, and you can pump all the PRP you want...........but expect to be unhappy with the results. Remember HASTEN should not in any way imply IMMEDIATE healing.

drewmar74
10-02-2010, 10:54 AM
Thanks, I was hoping you would comment on this. Gotta spread the rep around...

Got 'em

awtysst
10-02-2010, 11:04 AM
Not so fast! The downside is believing that this acts as a miracle cure. Even advocates admitedly use this technique to HASTEN the healing process. REST is still an important part of their regimens. CEASING CONTINUED TRAUMA to tissues is the foremost factor in facilitating healing. Take away the REST, and you can pump all the PRP you want...........but expect to be unhappy with the results. Remember HASTEN should not in any way imply IMMEDIATE healing.

No no. You misunderstand me. I do not see this as a miracle cure. I was just saying there is no medical complications that can arise from this. IE he is not doing MORE damage to himself with this procedure than if he chose to not do it.

I completely agree with you that rest if what he needs and I hope he is held out of the game.

TheRealJoker
10-02-2010, 11:45 AM
If a week of rest gives us a better chance of keeping him healthy the entire season then let the beast rest.

Nawzer
10-02-2010, 12:35 PM
If we can get Arian Foster going early then we won't have to depend so much on our passing game. Hopefully AJ and the staff will make the best decision for the team on Sunday. I think we have enough talent in Kevin Walter, Jacoby Jones, David Anderson, OD, and Joel Dressen to have an effective passing game.

THE NFL
10-02-2010, 01:06 PM
If we can get Arian Foster going early then we won't have to depend so much on our passing game. Hopefully AJ and the staff will make the best decision for the team on Sunday. I think we have enough talent in Kevin Walter, Jacoby Jones, David Anderson, OD, and Joel Dressen to have an effective passing game.

All those guys become very very average without AJ on the field. AJ shouldnt play and the Texans should take their chances. The team is going to be hurt long term by his continued play. November and December will crush this Texans team without AJ or with him at 60% playing with pain.

Without AJ this team on offense isnt very good long term.

Nawzer
10-02-2010, 01:43 PM
All those guys become very very average without AJ on the field. AJ shouldnt play and the Texans should take their chances. The team is going to be hurt long term by his continued play. November and December will crush this Texans team without AJ or with him at 60% playing with pain.

Without AJ this team on offense isnt very good long term.

That's true but I still think our receiving corp is pretty good without AJ for one game. I think we have the talent and the experience to go out there and execute. It certainly wouldn't be the first time the team has had to go out there without AJ. It makes the offense less dynamic but we should still be productive as a unit.

CloakNNNdagger
10-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Most write-ups are referring how Nnamdi Asomugha shut down Larry Fitzgerald last week, and how he will shut down hobbled AJ if he plays. hobbled.

Mike Kerns
10-03-2010, 01:18 PM
Andre is inactive:

@Adam_Schefter: Texans WR Andre Johnson will be inactive today. #Texans

drs23
10-03-2010, 01:37 PM
BEST news I've had all week! Great call Kubes or whomever made it. Now if they'll just sit OD as well and let our other (more than capable) players step up and win this one for us we'll be so better off for the hard part of the schedule coming up! GREAT CALL!

CloakNNNdagger
10-03-2010, 01:45 PM
Andre is inactive:

Thank G-d.

Ryan
10-03-2010, 01:47 PM
This is a move that will make Kubes look really good if it works, or really poorly if we fall to the Raiders today.

Texas T
10-03-2010, 01:47 PM
Damn, I've got him starting on two FF teams...

That being said I'm glad they decided this-we'll need him badly after the Bye so letting him rest now makes sense...wow the team is starting to make sense...
what a great feeling!!

GO TEXANS!!!!

NitroGSXR
10-03-2010, 01:49 PM
If a week of rest gives us a better chance of keeping him healthy the entire season then let the beast rest.
Yeah. Let's take care of business later. That makes total sense in order to sprint into the playoffs.

drs23
10-03-2010, 01:55 PM
Yeah. Let's take care of business later. That makes total sense in order to sprint into the playoffs.

Very much in agreement Nitro!

TheMatrix31
10-03-2010, 01:56 PM
Ballsy. Looks like we're gonna run a lot if Nnamdi isn't gonna be occupied by Andre.

Ryan
10-03-2010, 02:14 PM
This will be a 30+ carry game again for Foster.

welsh texan
10-03-2010, 02:19 PM
So in this situation do we keep KW at the #2 position and move Jacoby to #1 to keep consistency or what? How do the coaches work it?

BSofA04
10-03-2010, 02:24 PM
Was nervous against the Raiders before this, now a little more. Thank god for Miller Lite. I still think we have the talent to win but the guys need to come together today.

CloakNNNdagger
10-03-2010, 02:38 PM
Ballsy. Looks like we're gonna run a lot if Nnamdi isn't gonna be occupied by Andre.

Balssy?? With a high ankle sprain, most surgeons would have to seriously question why AJ was allowed to play last week. If indeed he does have a high ankle strain, and if we want to see AJ playing like AJ when we are making our home stretch bid, he should be made to rest through the bye week.

drs23
10-03-2010, 02:42 PM
Was nervous against the Raiders before this, now a little more. Thank god for Miller Lite. I still think we have the talent to win but the guys need to come together today.

I'm comfortable with the quality of our depth at receiver. Dorin Dickerson is behind Andre on the depth chart (http://www.houstontexans.com/team/depth-chart.html). I see K-dub moving there and Jacoby taking his spot. Just as soon see OD sit out as well. Doubt he will but with his hammy giving him the trouble it did this week, he needs the rest too. Joel and Casey are qualified to step up.

We'll find out in about 20 minutes! :fans:

wagonhed
10-03-2010, 03:03 PM
A lot of yall seem to be putting this in terms of "which games do we need him in more?". Which to me is a really poor way of looking at it. If the player is hurt and can't play, he needs to rest, regardless. I don't look at Andre's health as a sort of thing that we should try to figure out how to best spend and in which game. It's not about how useful he is, it's about how healthy he is.