PDA

View Full Version : Is something wrong with Schaub?

Ryan
09-29-2010, 07:21 PM
Yes, this is a serious question. Schaub so far this season does not look like the Schaub of last year at all, and it does have me a bit concerned. He's throwing the ball behind many of his receivers, holding onto the ball too long at times, and not making as sharp of decisions as i have seen him make. So far my thoughts of him have been as such...

Week 1 vs Indy-Was not required to throw the ball much due to the success of the running game and Foster in particular, but outside of the touchdown pass to the wide open Kevin Walter, his throws that he had to make were very shaky.

Week 2 @ Was-Put up outstanding numbers, led the great comeback, but was it more on the Redskins' struggles? His first half was pretty average, and our comeback started when it seemed like the Redskins had switched to the "bend but don't break" style of defense, a plan which ultimately backfired. If we didn't have the beast known as Andre Johnson on the field, the comeback might have been cut short regardless. I shouldn't be complaining about his performance in a great win, but it might be up for debate.

Week 3 vs Dallas-Did not look very comfortable in the pocket, probably due to having a backup LT covering his blindside and a defense that puts alot of pressure on QBs. Still managed to hold onto the ball way too long, threw behind a few receivers again, and made a couple decisions that had me wondering. This game could have been a win despite Schaub's "meh" performance if the o-line had any sort of fight in them against the cowboys defense in the redzone.

So is there something to be concerned about here? Or am i just seeing things that aren't exactly correct, and you think Schaub will be fine?

Rey
09-29-2010, 07:22 PM
Matt has games all the time where he doesn't look all that sharp.

JB
09-29-2010, 07:25 PM
Matt has games all the time where he doesn't look all that sharp.

Especially early in the year.

Corrosion
09-29-2010, 07:28 PM
Yes , there's something wrong - Schaub keeps tripping over defenders in his backfield.

markn
09-29-2010, 08:15 PM
I think he misses li'l Shanny.

m5kwatts
09-29-2010, 08:19 PM
I think every game has been so completely different from the other that its impossible to conclude anything at this point. Ask me in week 10 or 11.

Brisco_County
09-29-2010, 08:23 PM
Excluding the times that protection totally breaks down, he has had a better sensitivity to the pocket, which all elite QB's must have.

ATXtexanfan
09-29-2010, 08:28 PM
he looked rushed at times during the cowboy game but held the ball to long as well. maybe not having brown and it being 3-4 threw him off for the day. maybe last years success has him a little rattled.

Texan_Bill
09-29-2010, 08:33 PM
Yes , there's something wrong - Schaub keeps tripping over defenders in his backfield.

:lol: Wait, what? :heh:

thunderkyss
09-29-2010, 09:40 PM
I'm worried.

I finally saw Matt become a play-maker over the second half of 2009.

Now we're having to see him go through that growth process again.

RTP2110
09-29-2010, 10:01 PM
I think he misses li'l Shanny.

Agree. It's still Kubiak's offense, but I'm sure there are some differences between Kyle & Dennison. Some of his slow performance could be from learning a slightly new offense.

jshabang
09-29-2010, 10:02 PM
hate to sound negative but i was thinkin the same thing......just looks to have regressed a little to me.....dont see the decisiveness that i thought he would have coming off a year where he lead the league in passing

not looking elite and quick with the ball like most elite qb's ala peyton, rivers, brees.....who have taken that next step in reading defenses and reacting....I saw rivers last week in the redzone throw about 3 touchdowns back to back cuz his guys got penaltties and i was like man....thats a qb who knows his offense and is in a different comfort zone

when schaub has playactioned this year it has looked horrible.....on some go routes the ball has been either underthrown or overthrown......no slants at all....zero over the middle to the tightends except that 1 play to dreesen in washington...these were staples for schaub last season which he looks to be lost on this season

dont know if this is due to qb or receivers but the chemistry either way doesnt look quit there with them to me.....and hes holding the ball for a eternity....which he wasnt doing at all the end of last season???

is it the receivers not gettin open, qb regressing, or change of coordinators (no lil shanny).......remains to be seen

Silver&Blue94
09-29-2010, 10:16 PM
There isn't a thing wrong with Schaub. You guys got a elite QB, who I think can take you all to the big dance eventually.

Texan_Bill
09-29-2010, 10:21 PM
Agree. It's still Kubiak's offense, but I'm sure there are some differences between Kyle & Dennison. Some of his slow performance could be from learning a slightly new offense.

Yeah, you mean like the running game?

Texan_Bill
09-29-2010, 10:23 PM
There isn't a thing wrong with Schaub. You guys got a elite QB, who I think can take you all to the big dance eventually.

We're not quite ready to go "elite"......yet, but thanks for the kind words!

JB
09-29-2010, 10:24 PM
Yeah, you mean like the running game?

What? Like the fact that we actually have one makes a difference?

houstonspartan
09-29-2010, 11:00 PM
Not worried about Matt at all.

However, I have lost sleep about OD. Something isn't right there. He's not the same player he used to be. I'm worried.

Hagar
09-29-2010, 11:07 PM
I'm more worried about the O-line. They've looked terrible so far this year.

Cjeremy635
09-29-2010, 11:20 PM
Unfortunately, I had to vote yes. I have thought the same thing a couple of times. I've noticed his passes coming up short and really off target at times. I'm talking so off target your going "WTF was that?". Hopefully it's just a timing thing and communication with the receivers. I could be wrong, but don't most top QBs work with their receivers in the off season (on their own time) to keep that rhythm and timing down? You always hear about QBs & WRs who have that unspoken communication where they can just anticipate what the other is going to be doing. I don't think we're there yet, for whatever reason. Hopefully they can get that squared away and fast. We have a really good shot this year, but only if our offense is at least as potent as it was last year.

Cjeremy635
09-29-2010, 11:23 PM
I'm more worried about the O-line. They've looked terrible so far this year.

I have to agree with you there. I don't see how we could improve on the run blocking, but regress so far on the pass blocking. We needed to take a step forward on both. It's not like they "forgot" how to pass block, so I'm wondering how much of it is the scheme from Dennison (if it's any different) or calling the wrong play at the wrong time.

Hookem Horns
09-29-2010, 11:48 PM
Ah ... the week after a loss. Have to "love" these threads.

http://static.seekingalpha.com/uploads/2010/5/3/saupload_monks_roller_coaster1.jpg

houstonspartan
09-30-2010, 12:37 AM
Ah ... the week after a loss. Have to "love" these threads.

http://static.seekingalpha.com/uploads/2010/5/3/saupload_monks_roller_coaster1.jpg

lol!

TexansFanatic
09-30-2010, 12:41 AM
If there's one thing I would like to see Schaub do better: get rid of the ball sooner.

He has always held onto the ball too long and a number of the sacks he takes are his fault.

TimeKiller
09-30-2010, 07:28 AM
I won't say that I don't notice the drop off in play but I can't point to any one thing and say THIS, THIS IS WHAT IS WRONG. I voted he'll be fine, they'll be fine.

hradhak
09-30-2010, 07:56 AM
I'm not so sure that our run blocking is that much better as it is that Arian Foster is so much better at running with the zone blocking. The guys we had running last year were pretty awful and couldn't find the holes. Arian seems to find those holes and then make some nifty moves to get a few extra yards.

Hardcore Texan
09-30-2010, 08:15 AM
Guys, Schaub is fine. He has shown plenty of poise. He's made a couple of bad decisions, some balls have been tipped up in the air leading to INT's, etc. But that's football. Dallas got a lot of pressure on him, he's trying to find the open guy maybe held onto the ball a little bit too much a few times hoping somebody could get open. With AJ being a bit hobbled and good coverage they got to him. It was a bad day at the office but it's not all on him. I wish they would have committed a little more to the run and try and slow down the pash rush.

I just hope the secondary is gaining some very much needed experience! And I wish we had a vialbe option behind Foster at RB. Anybody besides me think that Dickerson can return kick offs? Only 1 more game until the Cush comes back, I can't wait to see how the D plays when he gets back.

HTown2ATX
09-30-2010, 08:21 AM
The Schaub is fine man, not worried here. He'll throw a duck or 2 up now and then he does love to do that but I write that off....you know it's coming sometimes..:kitten:

It's the freaking secondary that should be causing people to run naked in the streets throwing fecal matter if anything....

Double Barrel
09-30-2010, 09:48 AM
I don't think there is anything wrong with Schaub. The Big Uglies need to DO THEIR FREAKIN' JOBS and protect him, and our coaches need to focus on establishing a consistent running game in order to open up the play action, but as far as our QB, the only thing I worry about is him taking too many un-blocked hits.

Texan_Bill
09-30-2010, 09:50 AM
I don't think there is anything wrong with Schaub. The Big Uglies need to DO THEIR FREAKIN' JOBS and protect him, and our coaches need to focus on establishing a consistent running game in order to open up the play action, but as far as our QB, the only thing I worry about is him taking too many un-blocked hits.

Man, he took some shots... :eek:

Corrosion
09-30-2010, 10:07 AM
I just went back and watched the replays of each sack of Schaub -

Two of the four were coverage sacks in which Schaub had ample time to find a reciever or get rid of the ball -

One was a blitz where Brooking gets a clear path to Schaub. I cant decide if it was a blown assignment by Foster or a designed play that Dallas exploited with a blitz from the right defender. Either way , Foster should have chipped Brooking.

Only one sack was the result of a lineman clearly getting beaten.

There were other times he was pressured and or hit but of the four sacks only one should be charged to an offensive lineman.

Here's the link (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010092608/2010/REG3/cowboys@texans/analyze/box-score#tab:analyze/recap-channels:cat-post-recap-quick-take/analyze-channels:cat-post-playbyplay) to the play by play , you can scroll thru it and see highlights of each sack.

HOU-TEX
09-30-2010, 11:29 AM
The one thing about Matt that has really stood out to me so far this season is he's missing his safety net. Meaning....OD! I think Matt will be fine, but OD has got to get going. If not, get Casey, Dreessen or Graham more involved.

Corrosion
09-30-2010, 11:36 AM
The one thing about Matt that has really stood out to me so far this season is he's missing his safety net. Meaning....OD! I think Matt will be fine, but OD has got to get going. If not, get Casey, Dreessen or Graham more involved.

I wonder if that isnt scheme related.

I'd really like to see a top down view of the Texans offense so I could see what all the routes look like in combination.

From what I can see is it seems like the TE's arent the checkdown as often or have been covered much better.

In two of the sacks against Dallas it didnt seem that Schaub looked for a checkdown but wanted to force the ball downfield and ran out of time. Its difficult to discern that from the view's we see on TV .... so I could be way off base.

JB
09-30-2010, 11:37 AM

I agree. OD does not seem to be getting any separation this year.

texasguy346
09-30-2010, 11:39 AM

I definitely agree with you regarding OD needing to get back on track. It seems he has improved little by little in each game, but he's still far from what he once was and I'm not sure if it's a mental thing (trusting his surgically repaired knee) or a physical thing (getting back into playing shape) or a combination of the two. Hopefully over the next couple games he begins to look more like the old OD and Schaub can rely on him like he has in the past.

Double Barrel
09-30-2010, 11:40 AM
ITwo of the four were coverage sacks in which Schaub had ample time to find a reciever or get rid of the ball -

The problem is that this is an assumption without knowing the exact design of the play. The routes might have been longer and required more time, but the line wasn't giving it to him. Schaub usually has a relief route and finds it, so I don't think it's as black and white as just calling it a "coverage sack".

thunderkyss
09-30-2010, 11:47 AM

This is Corrosion's take from another thread
I dont believe that is true.

The Texans D-line controlled the Dallas running game for the most part. Dallas averaged 3.74 yards per carry. 101 yards on 27 carries.

The Texan O-Line was pretty darn good in the running game. The Texans averaged 5.64 yards per carry. Foster had 17 carries for 106 yards an average of 6.24 per.

Thats far from Dallas controlling the LOS on either side of the ball.

The story of this game boils down to the Texans inability to extend drives , turnovers , penalties and sacks at inopportune times - Mistakes cost them.

False Start penalty on 2nd & 5 from the Dallas 5 - Result Houston FG.

Sack - 3rd & 3 from the Dallas 32 - Result Punt. (coverage sack - Schaub had plenty of time)

Sack - 3rd & 7 from the Houston 37 - Result Punt. (Ware beat Butler)

Sack - 3rd & 12 from the Dallas 39 - Result Punt (coverage sack - Schaub had lots of time)

INT - Dallas takes over on their 10 - Result Dallas TD.

Sack - 3rd & 3 at the Dallas 3 - Result Houston FG. (Dallas Blitz - Missed assignment - Brooking has a clear path to Schaub)

Fumble - 1st & 10 at the Houston 47 - Result Dallas FG

Here's a link (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010092608/2010/REG3/cowboys@texans/analyze/box-score#tab:analyze/recap-channels:cat-post-recap-quick-take/analyze-channels:cat-post-playbyplay) where you can read the play by play as well as watch a replay of each of the sacks.

My thoughts , The Texans did what they wanted offensively but just couldnt make a play to extend drives or cash in.
On two of the sacks , Schaub had plenty of time to either find a reciever or get rid of the ball ... on a 3rd a blitz leads to a blown assignment.
On only one sack did a lineman clearly get beat.

I think it's pretty accurate.

disaacks3
09-30-2010, 11:47 AM
I think he's been a little off since the pre-season. I'd love to attribute it to receivers not running their routes well, but when he's high and behind ALL of the receivers, it's on him.

that said...I don't see much to get really worried about YET.

Double Barrel
09-30-2010, 11:51 AM

I'd really like to see a top down view of the Texans offense so I could see what all the routes look like in combination.

From what I can see is it seems like the TE's arent the checkdown as often or have been covered much better.

In two of the sacks against Dallas it didnt seem that Schaub looked for a checkdown but wanted to force the ball downfield and ran out of time. Its difficult to discern that from the view's we see on TV .... so I could be way off base.

The problem is that this is an assumption without knowing the exact design of the play. The routes might have been longer and required more time, but the line wasn't giving it to him. Schaub usually has a relief route and finds it, so I don't think it's as black and white as just calling it a "coverage sack".

Just went back and watched, and while I get what you're saying about coverage sacks, to be honest I think they were lousy play-calling. It seemed like they were collapsing the line rather quickly and the routes were too long and too well covered. Schaub probably should have just thrown the ball away. But the play calling was not leaning toward the run, which I think was a big mistake.

thunderkyss
09-30-2010, 11:56 AM

It's not very easy to see at the game either. I've got a good view of the whole field, but I can only watch one thing at a time. I don't recall seeing anyone wide open, so maybe the Cowboy secondary finally got their heads out of their butts & did what they needed to do to stop us.

Maybe.

But Schaub hasn't been that play-maker he turned into at the end of last season. At least I'm not seeing it. He would leave the pocket & make plays.... well, there was that sweet tear drop to Vonta. He used to slip & slide in the pocket...

And Walter was invisible for most of the game. Seeing he showed up in the 4th Qtr makes me think it was poor play-calling, or Matt just not looking for him... or Matt finally adjusted his idea of what "open" meant.

I don't know. I don't want to seem like I'm blaming everything on Matt. Andre's ankle, OD is slower, Jacoby's hands come & go, the wierd play-calls, OL missing assignments, False starts on Winston... there's just too much going on right now, to blame it on anyone person. They just need to get it together.

Thorn
09-30-2010, 11:57 AM
Man, he took some shots... :eek:

So do we. :shots:

We always seem to recover, and so does Schauby Boy. Now, when DanO or Mr. Lefty Hot Tub shows up in the game, then we need to worry. Big Time Worry.

Big Lou
09-30-2010, 12:20 PM
This team always starts the season slow including Schaub. They will get clicking soon.

Hookem Horns
09-30-2010, 02:15 PM
This team always starts the season slow including Schaub. They will get clicking soon.

If 2-1 is slow then I can't wait until they get on a roll.

Grams
09-30-2010, 02:27 PM
Didn't we just go through something like 20 pages of this a couple of weeks ago?

Texan_Touchdown
09-30-2010, 02:27 PM
Yeah opening a new season with a new OC, TE comes back from knee surgery, with Cushing out, Rookie CB, and being 2-1. I think we can only get better. But our O-Line needs to be more aggressive.

I think Schaub is getting used to the timing on the routes.

I still think we should throw to Arian more. He has good hands. And can be a quick hit threat. IMO.

thunderkyss
09-30-2010, 02:28 PM
If 2-1 is slow then I can't wait until they get on a roll.

:fans:

BigBull17
09-30-2010, 03:03 PM

I think Dreessen needs to start, with OD off the bench in two tights. He (OD) isn't ready yet and it is killing us. He is rusty and has no connection with Schaub yet. Start Dreessen.

I'm not so sure that our run blocking is that much better as it is that Arian Foster is so much better at running with the zone blocking. The guys we had running last year were pretty awful and couldn't find the holes. Arian seems to find those holes and then make some nifty moves to get a few extra yards.

Yeah, Fosters vision is amazing. I have yet to watch a replay and say, "man if he hits THAT hole its a big play". That was the Slaton special.

If there's one thing I would like to see Schaub do better: get rid of the ball sooner.

He has always held onto the ball too long and a number of the sacks he takes are his fault.

I remember the QB that dumped it off too soon, and I would rather him hang in there.

Dread-Head
09-30-2010, 03:10 PM
"What's the matter with Flintstone? He's alright."

Bah. He's okay.

silvrhand
09-30-2010, 03:40 PM
I remember the QB that dumped it off too soon, and I would rather him hang in there.

Until Matt "Glass Jaw" Schaub takes a hard hit :(

:crutch:

jshabang
09-30-2010, 03:44 PM
It's not very easy to see at the game either. I've got a good view of the whole field, but I can only watch one thing at a time. I don't recall seeing anyone wide open, so maybe the Cowboy secondary finally got their heads out of their butts & did what they needed to do to stop us.

Maybe.

But Schaub hasn't been that play-maker he turned into at the end of last season. At least I'm not seeing it. He would leave the pocket & make plays.... well, there was that sweet tear drop to Vonta. He used to slip & slide in the pocket...

And Walter was invisible for most of the game. Seeing he showed up in the 4th Qtr makes me think it was poor play-calling, or Matt just not looking for him... or Matt finally adjusted his idea of what "open" meant.

I don't know. I don't want to seem like I'm blaming everything on Matt. Andre's ankle, OD is slower, Jacoby's hands come & go, the wierd play-calls, OL missing assignments, False starts on Winston... there's just too much going on right now, to blame it on anyone person. They just need to get it together.

this!!!!!!!!!!

Speedy
09-30-2010, 04:27 PM
Until Matt "Glass Jaw" Schaub takes a hard hit :(

:crutch:

Seriously? Matt's been getting the shit beat out of him for 3 games. Got the shit beat out of him last year as well. I haven't seen him break yet. Now get some dirty Viking to give him a couple of cheap shots at his kness then yeah, he might break then, but let's get over this injury prone BS. It's just not the case.

infantrycak
09-30-2010, 04:51 PM
Seriously? Matt's been getting the shit beat out of him for 3 games. Got the shit beat out of him last year as well. I haven't seen him break yet. Now get some dirty Viking to give him a couple of cheap shots at his kness then yeah, he might break then, but let's get over this injury prone BS. It's just not the case.

Yup. Add on top that he has only had one injury that was not from a play that ended up in a penalty and/or fine.

Not sure I understand this thread. He is completing just under 70% of his passes (even with a number of drops and OD not being 100%), has one of the best yards per attempt in the league and a very high QB rating all while facing three of the best pass rushing or blitz happy teams in the league.

thunderkyss
09-30-2010, 06:18 PM
Not sure I understand this thread. He is completing just under 70% of his passes (even with a number of drops and OD not being 100%), has one of the best yards per attempt in the league and a very high QB rating all while facing three of the best pass rushing or blitz happy teams in the league.

I thought we learned this lesson already.

Not that he is playing as badly as HWSNBN. But we've seen him play better. You have too. He's not playing at the level we've come to expect from him.

That ProBowl level.

Rey
09-30-2010, 06:20 PM
I thought we learned this lesson already.

Not that he is playing as badly as HWSNBN. But we've seen him play better. You have too. He's not playing at the level we've come to expect from him.

That ProBowl level.

Honestly, Matt is playing about how he's always played...

drs23
09-30-2010, 06:23 PM

Really? I don't remember so many off target, over/under thrown balls coming outta Matt's hand in the past. Perhaps I missed it, but he's not looked Pro-Bowlish as of yet this season IMO.

thunderkyss
09-30-2010, 06:32 PM

No, he was making plays last year, from about half way through the season to the end. He wasn't taking what the defense gave him, he was making things happen. Buying time, staying in the pocket that extra nth of a second, making some sweet throws.

Rey
09-30-2010, 06:35 PM
Really? I don't remember so many off target, over/under thrown balls coming outta Matt's hand in the past. Perhaps I missed it, but he's not looked Pro-Bowlish as of yet this season IMO.

Really?

His performance against the Skins wasn't pro-bowlish?

I think some folks are disillusioned. Matt has never been a guy that comes out and lit defenses up week in and week out.

He's always been a guy that has thrown a few picks, taken a few sacks and will sometimes overthrow or underthrow some footballs....

What exactly is the impression that you guys' have of Schaub? He puts up big numbers, but it not like it's always pretty when he does it...

None of this means that I'm saying Matt is a bad QB. Not at all.

I just think some of you guys are expecting him to play to a level he has never played at. He's always had some games where he didn't play all that well followed by some games where he lit the defense up. Nothing has changed IMO.

Rey
09-30-2010, 06:39 PM
No, he was making plays last year, from about half way through the season to the end. He wasn't taking what the defense gave him, he was making things happen. Buying time, staying in the pocket that extra nth of a second, making some sweet throws.

Ok I guess.

Matt looks the same to me as he did last year.

Still able to light a defense up, and still prone to throwing some bad balls.

Still stays in the pocket for a long time trying to find someone open downfield.

I really don't understand what the fuss is a bout...but to each his own and all that stuff...

infantrycak
09-30-2010, 07:23 PM
What exactly is the impression that you guys' have of Schaub? He puts up big numbers, but it not like it's always pretty when he does it...

I think the real question is what is the impression people have of a great QB or really are people applying the same standard to all QBs?

Manning throws a crappy looking ball and has had Harrison and Wayne making off target circus catches for his entire career. That doesn't diminish his greatness. Lynn Swann is in the Hall of Fame for saving Hall of Famer Teryy Bradshaw's butt in the playoffs with ridiculous catches. Seems to me people around here are over critical on ball placement. Some will be off target. Some will be thrown perfectly and the receiver slightly alters his route while the ball is in the air. Bottom line, you don't rack up a top 5 passing percentage accompanied by a top 5 yards per attempt being an inaccurate passer.

gary
09-30-2010, 08:48 PM
When Matt threw for nearly 500 yards in Washington he was still beat up pretty bad so I'll take a wild guess and say some pass protection would probably help him out a lot.

Texan_Bill
09-30-2010, 08:57 PM

I actually agree with this.

His "suck" days are still average, his good days are money. Somehow, he'll be ok. That said, he'll play well (sometimes really well). He'll be so-so other times.

76Texan
10-01-2010, 12:27 AM

I agree with TK here (but only in the last 4 games, not the whole second half).
Week 13 against the Jags, he got injured and came back not very sharp.
But who can blame him with that harshness he was wearing!
So that game doesn't count.

I would say the level he played in his last 4 games was what I hope to see from Schaub this year.

I don't have time to dig out all the notes, but I am absolutely sure that he held the ball longer than 2-1/2 seconds fewer than 10 times in those four games, perhaps fewer than 5 times (and some of them were with max-protect).

Basically he got rid of the ball between 1-1/2 to 2 secs (many times even sooner). (There's a lag between the time when the ball is snapped and when the clock starts ticking on the screen, but that is consistent for all QBs in any game.)

He helped the linemen in not allowing any sack in those four games and much fewer pressure than in earlier games by doing other things as well, like side-stepping the pressure, or taking off when he felt the pressure, or getting rid of the ball.
That was why I said Schaub could be the best O-lineman on the team!

He was also careful in throwing the ball to locations where his receivers have a muchmuch better chance to get to than the defenders.
If he had to throw the ball wide along the side-line, he would.
Things of those nature!

He was playing at a very high level, even Phil Simms couldn't deny it!

thunderkyss
10-01-2010, 07:53 AM
He was playing at a very high level, even Phil Simms couldn't deny it!

& that's not to say he isn't playing at a high level now. With the numbers infantrycak is giving us, it's easy to see he is still playing at a high level.

He took it to another level at the end of last year, & that's where he needs to be. That level of a Manning, or a Brady that goes beyond the numbers.

False Start
10-01-2010, 09:26 AM
He hasn't been stellar so far this season, but in time I think he will just fine.

Corrosion
10-01-2010, 08:55 PM
The numbers look good on the surface but there have been a few plays that leave you scratching your head such as overthrown , under thrown especially when throwing deep , holding the ball too long at times and the INT's have been too frequent.

He hasnt played "Poorly" but I dont think he's performed near as well as he is capable of playing.

Texan_Bill
10-01-2010, 08:59 PM
Is something wrong with Schaub?

Well, yeah!!!!

The problem is that he has a hot a** wife that should be with Texan_Bill and not his bald, stoner looking a**!!!

:D

Rey
10-01-2010, 09:02 PM
Well, yeah!!!!

The problem is that he has a hot a** wife that should be with Texan_Bill and not his bald, stoner looking a**!!!

:D

She looks a little like Matt to me:

http://sportscracklepop.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/laurie.jpg

jshabang
10-02-2010, 07:27 PM
The numbers look good on the surface but there have been a few plays that leave you scratching your head such as overthrown , under thrown especially when throwing deep , holding the ball too long at times and the INT's have been too frequent.

He hasnt played "Poorly" but I dont think he's performed near as well as he is capable of playing.

point exactly...he just hasnt looked comfortable as he has in the past...his play action plays have been really laughable this year and head sctrachers to say the least

thunderkyss
10-02-2010, 08:36 PM
point exactly...he just hasnt looked comfortable as he has in the past...his play action plays have been really laughable this year and head sctrachers to say the least

For the most part I agree, but when his back was against the wall against the Skins, we saw the guy we thought we knew.

He needs to be that guy coming out of the gate.

Corrosion
10-02-2010, 08:57 PM
For the most part I agree, but when his back was against the wall against the Skins, we saw the guy we thought we knew.

Yeah .... thats what we expect all the time , not half the time.

Rey
10-02-2010, 09:01 PM
Yeah .... thats what we expect all the time , not half the time.

Matt's never played like that all the time.

He's always thrown picks and done some things that make you scratch your head...

thunderkyss
10-02-2010, 09:05 PM
Matt's never played like that all the time.

He's always thrown picks and done some things that make you scratch your head...

Then people need to stop with this "elite" talk.

Rey
10-02-2010, 09:13 PM
Then people need to stop with this "elite" talk.

I have never called Matt elite...

I think he is in the next tier under some of the elite QB's but IMHO, Matt isn't in the top 5. There are 6 QB's that I'd take ahead of Matt.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he sucks. I just don't think he's elite.

Very good...Yes

Elite....No

He's definitely good enough to win with, but he's not elite IMO.

Kulluminatii
10-02-2010, 09:15 PM

I think he is in the next tier under some of the elite QB's but IMHO, Matt isn't in the top 5. There are 6 QB's that I'd take ahead of Matt.

Very good...Yes

Elite....No

Not really on topic, but which QBs?

P. Manning
Aaron Rodgers
Phillip Rivers
Drew Brees
Matt Ryan
???

JB
10-02-2010, 09:16 PM

P. Manning
Aaron Rodgers
Phillip Rivers
Drew Brees
Matt Ryan
???

I would not put Ryan there yet.

ThaShark316
10-02-2010, 09:18 PM

Very good...Yes

Elite....No

He's definitely good enough to win with, but he's not elite IMO.

Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Rivers and Roethlisberger?

Kulluminatii
10-02-2010, 09:18 PM
I would not put Ryan there yet.

I think he's shaping up to be a great QB, but your probably right...he still has a ways to go.

Rey
10-02-2010, 09:20 PM

P. Manning
Aaron Rodgers
Phillip Rivers
Drew Brees
Matt Ryan
???

I wasn't even thinking about Matt Ryan but he's probably one I'd consider as well... But even with your list if Matt was next in line, he still wouldn't be considered elite..

Manning
Brees
Brady
Rodgers
Rivers
Big Ben
Schaub

That'd be my list...

I actually think Schaub is better than Ryan at this point.

Also, I also think that McNabb being ahead of Schaub is debatable...I also think that if Vick keeps playing how he's been playing he may be a better player to have back there...

Manning is the only top tier QB that is immobile like Schaub is. But he is a much, much better passer than Matt. The fact that those other guys can consistently make plays when everything around them breaks down is a big positive. Matt can do it sometimes, but not nearly enough. Mostly when things break down, he just takes the sack. And some of those guys are doing it with much more questionable O-lines.

Kulluminatii
10-02-2010, 09:24 PM
I wasn't even thinking about Matt Ryan but he's probably one I'd consider as well... But even with your list if Matt was next in line, he still wouldn't be considered elite..

Manning
Brees
Brady
Rodgers
Rivers
Big Ben
Schaub

That'd be my list...

I actually think Schaub is better than Ryan at this point.

Damn, can't believe I forgot about Brady. I'm a bit unsure about Big Ben right now, that Steelers D is crazy good and if the Steelers had a weaker D that gave up more points...I'm not too sure Ben would be able to carry the team by himself.

Rey
10-02-2010, 09:30 PM
Damn, can't believe I forgot about Brady. I'm a bit unsure about Big Ben right now, that Steelers D is crazy good and if the Steelers had a weaker D that gave up more points...I'm not too sure Ben would be able to carry the team by himself.

I'd take Ben over Matt in a hearbeat if we are just going off of what they do on the field. And the offense he plays in isn't even really a passing offense...And he doesn't have the receiving threats that we have.

Ben makes a lot of things happen for that offense when nothing is available...

Yeah Matt Led the league in yards last year but he threw the ball more than anybody else too. The only other player that was close to him in attempts was Manning who threw 12 less passes.

Honestly I don't even think Matt is head and shoulders above Romo...

I can see someone listing Matt as the tenth QB they'd take...That's not elite to me...

And I'm glad TK brought that up because I mentioned earlier that I though that some people were disillusioned about Matt as a QB...Dude is not elite...Not sure why so many people expect him to come out and torch defeses week in and week out...He's never done that...

He's playing how he has always played. Lacks some physical gifts, makes some bad throws, lacks a little bit in putting zip on the ball, under-throws receivers when they are deep sometimes, very little mobility...

But Matt is very smart, he reads defenses well, he has great accuracy, he is a good leader, he knows the offense like the back of his hand, mostly makes good decisions AND he has a ton of weapons to throw to. These are the things that makes him as good as he is.

hradhak
10-03-2010, 04:49 AM
I wanna see how he is in the second half of the season. That'll give him time to adjust to a new OC / playcaller. I'm not sure how much Kubiak was adjusting over Little Shanny, and how much he is doing now, but it seems to me that this year the pass playcalling has been worse.

As far as Schaub being elite, I would say that in my mind the only 2 elite QBs are Manning and Brees. I have always thought Rivers is overrated, and that Big Ben only had to manage the game during the SB season, although he did make plays when it counted. I think time will tell with Rodgers as well. Schaub doesn't have the same tooolset as Manning and Brees, but he's still able to make plays, but he can still be amongst the top 5.

jshabang
10-03-2010, 04:56 AM

thats the point...we all thought that after last season....he had surpassed the stage and that he would be on point for a whole game ala manning, brady, brees....but not the case

thunderkyss
10-03-2010, 08:04 AM
thats the point...we all thought that after last season....he had surpassed the stage and that he would be on point for a whole game ala manning, brady, brees....but not the case

Exactly. I thought we had witnessed him grow as a player & a leader, now seems there is more growing to do.

b0ng
10-03-2010, 11:11 AM
My thought is that Schaub is holding the ball longer than he did last year. Whether that's because he's more confident in his ability to make plays when the coverage is good or what, it is a little frustrating to watch.

Other than that though, He's pretty much been the same Schaub that we had last year, but he hasn't had to put up consistent 300 yard games to keep us in it like last year. So Foster has subtracted some of Schaubs passing yards, but he's still a good passer and has put up a decent TD:INT ratio so far.

I'm definitely not worried.

Corrosion
10-03-2010, 12:22 PM
My thought is that Schaub is holding the ball longer than he did last year. Whether that's because he's more confident in his ability to make plays when the coverage is good or what, it is a little frustrating to watch.

Other than that though, He's pretty much been the same Schaub that we had last year, but he hasn't had to put up consistent 300 yard games to keep us in it like last year. So Foster has subtracted some of Schaubs passing yards, but he's still a good passer and has put up a decent TD:INT ratio so far.

I'm definitely not worried.

There is another issue other than holding the ball too long - Schaub has been sacked 11 times second most in the NFL - And thats the under/overthrown balls when going deep off of PA. Walter bailed him out on one for a long gain , a couple others have turned into INT's. Those plays are a very important part of this passing game and he hasnt been consistant there.

small nizzle
10-03-2010, 01:05 PM
a great qb would be good without andre. he shouldnt need the best wr in the league in order to function

if andre is injured and schuab plays like crap, what does that say about schaub?

if schaub needs every player to be a pro bowler then he is not a good qb, maybe not even average

with andre , matt still throws dumb ints , hes done it in every game this year.....but without andre, matt looks like carr

carr=matt

david carr lead us to 7-9 and that was without foster/slaton/walter/prime andre/jacoby/good OL/qb coach kubiak

carr had NONE of that and yet lead us to 7-9....schaub gets a bunch of weapons and a revamped OL and a qb coach in kubiak and for 2 years had 8-8

in fact i might even say carr > schaub

Scooter
10-03-2010, 01:07 PM
i wasted my billy madison line too soon ...

wait, is this the carr's brother guy?

JB
10-03-2010, 01:16 PM
i wasted my billy madison line too soon ...

wait, is this the carr's brother guy?

Must be. In all his 23 posts, he has never been anything but negative about the Texans. This is the fool that wanted to trade AJ & Schaub for CJ & VY. :rolleyes:

drs23
10-03-2010, 02:01 PM
Must be. In all his 23 posts, he has never been anything but negative about the Texans. This is the fool that wanted to trade AJ & Schaub for CJ & VY. :rolleyes:

And don't forget what he likes to do at stop lights on Westheimer:thinking: See my post here: http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76076

stingray
10-03-2010, 07:05 PM
I'm starting to officially worry now. Something is not clicking with him. He looks unsure.

Jackie Chiles
10-03-2010, 07:09 PM
I'm starting to officially worry now. Something is not clicking with him. He looks unsure.

There was no separation all day. Dre not playing plus a gimpy OD plus a really stout Oakland pass D= hard to pass. He didn't have a TO and didn't get sacked. Wasn't pretty but when David Anderson is your WR2 its gonna be tough.

Ryan
10-03-2010, 07:09 PM
I actually have to give Schaub credit today. He did what he had to with what he was given to work with, which is next to nothing. Most importantly he didn't throw any picks. When you're down to two white guys as your two starting receivers, just make sure you protect the ball.

stingray
10-03-2010, 07:11 PM
There was no separation all day. Dre not playing plus a gimpy OD plus a really stout Oakland pass D= hard to pass. He didn't have a TO and didn't get sacked. Wasn't pretty but when David Anderson is your WR2 its gonna be tough.

But's it's not just this game. He has looked like this in three out of four now. I'm not saying he's gonna be Kolb bad but he isn't looking great either. Let's see what the next two games look like.

VTexan
10-03-2010, 07:13 PM
I actually have to give Schaub credit today. He did what he had to with what he was given to work with, which is next to nothing. Most importantly he didn't throw any picks. When you're down to two white guys as your two starting receivers, just make sure you protect the ball.

I think the run game might have helped him a little bit today....

Mr teX
10-03-2010, 07:23 PM
Nothing's wrong with him, i just think that kubes & Ricky have yet to decide what kind of team we are...are we a running team or a passing team? It's obvious Foster is the real deal & we've run the ball wayyyyy better than we did at any point last season....last year we passed the ball really well b/c we really had no choice & schaub knew it...This year we've been kind of in-between & i think schaub is struggling a bit with that mainly b/c 2nd to protection, what qb's need most is rhythm & he hasn't been able to establish that except for in 1 game this year.

He's fine, he just doesn't know how to function yet with a competent run game a good problem to have imo.

silvrhand
10-03-2010, 07:24 PM
I multiple times wanted to throw my remote through the TV when he kept throwing 4 yard passes for 3 and 8+..

)(*)$@$@)($ I know one thing Matt looks horrid on rolling out and throwing on the run..

Mr teX
10-03-2010, 07:49 PM
I multiple times wanted to throw my remote through the TV when he kept throwing 4 yard passes for 3 and 8+..

)(*)$@$@)($ I know one thing Matt looks horrid on rolling out and throwing on the run..

i would rather him do that than force it & throw a pick, which is what he's been doing a little too much all season so far

thunderkyss
10-03-2010, 08:46 PM

Surely there was another black guy on the bench they could have thrown in there. Maybe they should have slid Vonta leach out as our #2 or something.

thunderkyss
10-03-2010, 08:50 PM

Definitely wanted to hit somebody when he kept throwing the ball away.

I'm fine, with throwing it away & living to play another down... but sometimes, you gotta make something happen. Especially on third down, you don't take the check down, or throw it away on third down.

Granted Andre & Jacoby were hurt today.... but we got TEs coming out our butts...

Corrosion
10-03-2010, 08:56 PM

He didnt make any mistakes and did what was needed to win the game.

No sacks , no turnovers.

Against that pass defense with no AJ and JJ coming up lame I'll take it.

Much of that was dictated by the coverage - the Raiders pass D is really good.

The times that they rolled Schaub out on bootlegs the coverage was very good , their DB's didnt bite on PA even with the Texans running the ball at will. Often the recievers were all double covered in that situation and each time Schaub either found the open guy or threw the ball away. Thats all you can ask him to do in that situation.

Dreessen had a nice game.

I think the run game might have helped him a little bit today....

Yeah , 7.52 yards per carry will afford your QB a lot of luxuries.

ArlingtonTexan
10-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Surely there was another black guy on the bench they could have thrown in there. Maybe they should have slid Vonta leach out as our #2 or something.

I felt a little dirty about it, but I did make mental note on the Dressen touchdown, that I could not remember that last time I saw nothing but white receivers celebrating.

Brandon420tx
10-03-2010, 09:06 PM
I was kinda hoping to see Dickerson a little bit once Jacoby went out

jshabang
10-03-2010, 09:21 PM
i multiple times wanted to throw my remote through the tv when he kept throwing 4 yard passes for 3 and 8+..

)(*)$@$@)($ i know one thing matt looks horrid on rolling out and throwing on the run..

looks terrible....i dont know what....but we are seeing a growing pain quarterback....that has not takin the next step.....period

Corrosion
10-03-2010, 09:30 PM

Much of that was dictated by the coverage - the Raiders pass D is really good.

The times that they rolled Schaub out on bootlegs the coverage was very good , their DB's didnt bite on PA even with the Texans running the ball at will. Often the recievers were all double covered in that situation and each time Schaub either found the open guy or threw the ball away. Thats all you can ask him to do in that situation.

looks terrible....i dont know what....but we are seeing a growing pain quarterback....that has not takin the next step.....period

I have to disagree with this as much as it seems that Schaub was at fault - Much of that was dictated by the coverage - the Raiders pass D is really good.

On those 3rd downs , the Raiders coverage was often a zone rather than man and they kept the recievers in front of them short of the sticks. Schaub was forced to throw in front of the mark on many occasions or risk a throw into tight / double coverage.

Sometimes you have to give the guy's on the other team some credit - The Raiders pass defense is pretty damn good.

silvrhand
10-04-2010, 01:30 AM
He didnt make any mistakes and did what was needed to win the game.

No sacks , no turnovers.

Against that pass defense with no AJ and JJ coming up lame I'll take it.

Did you guys see how akward he looked, and his ball fake wasn't getting the DE to bite at all, which is unfortunate.. I don't think we'll be running a lot of bootleg against the colts/giants.... He'll get killed..

TheDrifter
10-04-2010, 01:46 AM
I think he played better this game than he did almost exactly one year ago aganst Oakland.

And with the best WR in the NFL on the sidelines for this one.

Im not worried about Schaub at all.

Corrosion
10-04-2010, 03:55 AM
Did you guys see how akward he looked, and his ball fake wasn't getting the DE to bite at all, which is unfortunate.. I don't think we'll be running a lot of bootleg against the colts/giants.... He'll get killed..

He and the RB have got to sell that ball fake better .... be a bit more deceptive and hide the ball better on the way out.

kcdoubleeagle
10-04-2010, 04:12 AM
a Big part of being a good qb is not making stupid mistakes....I didn't see any stupid mistakes from him and I saw a lot of points.

Lucky
10-04-2010, 05:46 AM
a Big part of being a good qb is not making stupid mistakes....I didn't see any stupid mistakes from him and I saw a lot of points.
Schaub is still holding on to the ball too long. That will get him killed (and force us to watch Dan Orlovsky) if he continues that trend versus the Giants.

Scooter
10-04-2010, 05:56 AM
Schaub is still holding on to the ball too long. That will get him killed (and force us to watch Dan Orlovsky) if he continues that trend versus the Giants.

something i'm wondering is if we're not sending enough guys on routes. a lot of the times schaub is holding the ball we appear to be sending 2 or 3 guys out and the rest in to protect - most often on play-action. the announcers even mentioned that once, we had 3 guys who were each double covered and there was nowhere to throw the ball. we might need to leak the tightends and or fullback more often to give matt a checkdown option.

Rey
10-04-2010, 04:34 PM
Kubiak said that they did a lot of things to protect Schaub yesterday because of the sacks he had taken.

He said that all the roll outs was a part of that plan.

Honestly, I still maintain my position from earlier in the thread. Matt looks like he did last year. He has not been a guy who consistently eats up defenses. Especially good defenses that stop the run and rush the passer well.

I actually think that this is the year where he can get better against those types of defenses because of an improved running game.

IMO, Schaub has probably been a little bit better than he has in the past.

Corrosion
10-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Kubiak said that they did a lot of things to protect Schaub yesterday because of the sacks he had taken.

He said that all the roll outs was a part of that plan.

Honestly, I still maintain my position from earlier in the thread. Matt looks like he did last year. He has not been a guy who consistently eats up defenses. Especially good defenses that stop the run and rush the passer well.

I actually think that this is the year where he can get better against those types of defenses because of an improved running game.

IMO, Schaub has probably been a little bit better than he has in the past.

He'll get a shot to show us this week with the Giants coming to town ..... man they were downright dominant against the Bears.

Ryan
10-10-2010, 03:41 PM
BUMP.

I mistaked Schaub for HWWNBN today. Looked frightened and scared and not like a leader.

mariowillshine15
10-10-2010, 03:44 PM
BUMP.

I mistaked Schaub for HWWNBN today. Looked frightened and scared and not like a leader.

Yep. Every bad pass or tipped ball he would stare at the ground.

No confidence and it spread to the rest of the team.

Part of being a QB is being a leader.

Today he did not lead.

CretorFrigg
10-10-2010, 03:49 PM

Well, there is reason for concern. It seems like Schaub's been holding onto the ball too long. Is it because the receivers aren't open? Is it because our o-line isn't holding up?

All those questions just lead us back to the same debate we had with Schaub's predecessor.

Also, I wanted to note that Schaub throwing a pick in (almost) every game does have me concerned.

Austrian
10-10-2010, 04:20 PM
Could it be that Kubiak opened the offense for him so much that he is thinking too much and not getting rid of the ball?

thunderkyss
10-10-2010, 06:10 PM
Well, there is reason for concern. It seems like Schaub's been holding onto the ball too long. Is it because the receivers aren't open? Is it because our o-line isn't holding up?

All those questions just lead us back to the same debate we had with Schaub's predecessor.

Also, I wanted to note that Schaub throwing a pick in (almost) every game does have me concerned.

I think the difference in the game today, was the QB. One QB made something happen, the other took what the defense gave him.

BullNation4Life
10-10-2010, 06:50 PM
Sorry to say but Schaub is starting to get happy feet in the backfield and that ain't good. Could the David Carr syndrome be creeping in finally?

PockyAF
10-10-2010, 06:55 PM
Sorry to say but Schaub is starting to get happy feet in the backfield and that ain't good. Could the David Carr syndrome be creeping in finally?

Could the Tony Boselli curse be creeping in the O-Line finally?

I don't blame him for having happy feet. Our O-Line stunk today.

Oh, just want to get this off my chest, but Winston is NOT a top 5 RT like some has said he was. He continuously get beat by the DE he's up against in pass pro. for as long as I can remember. I always told myself that he was still young, he'll eventually get better. Welp, it hasn't happened yet and he's 5 years into his NFL career.

Lucky
10-10-2010, 07:00 PM
Could the David Carr syndrome be creeping in finally?
Schaub had more than a few Carr type plays, today. But, what concerns me the most is the velocity of his passes. Schaub had nothing on the ball during the 1st half. That's why the interception was so easy. The Giants should have had another pick. Matt just couldn't put the ball where he wanted, when he wanted.

Schaub's velocity improved in the 2nd half. Why? Did his shoulder finally get loose? Did he get an injection at halftime? Who knows. But, I'm convinced that something physical (be it major or minor) is not right with Matt.

mariowillshine15
10-10-2010, 07:02 PM
Schaub had more than a few Carr type plays, today. But, what concerns me the most is the velocity of his passes. Schaub had nothing on the ball during the 1st half. That's why the interception was so easy. The Giants should have had another pick. Matt just couldn't put the ball where he wanted, when he wanted.

Schaub's velocity improved in the 2nd half. Why? Did his shoulder finally get loose? Did he get an injection at halftime? Who knows. But, I'm convinced that something physical (be it major or minor) is not right with Matt.

I did hear he had a stomach virus due to our secondarys sickening play.

BullNation4Life
10-10-2010, 07:19 PM

I think the velocity issue stems from Schaub having to throw off his back foot to avoid the sack rather being able to step into the throw. That one Schaub stepped into and put the ball between 3 defenders into AJ's arm was beautiful but allot of his throws today were either on the move or off his back foot.

Lucky
10-10-2010, 07:34 PM
Schaub has had one good half of football out of ten, thus far. I've never seen him in this long of a slump. That, and his velocity, are why I think Schaub's poor play stems from physical issues.

Norg
10-10-2010, 07:36 PM
If things get worst

"Knocks on wood "

then i think we will see DANo ......

fiasco west
10-10-2010, 07:55 PM
It's sad because the moment we get a running game to complement our passing game...the passing game seems to be out of whack suddenly.

I don't think it's just Schaub, Owen isn't what he used to be. With all the TEs we've drafted you'd think someone would fill in that role... Andre is hurt, Kevin is still as good as he used to be, but Jacoby has not so far taken the leap to where I think most of us thought he would challenge Kevin. Also our Oline pass protection wise has not looked good pass protection wise against the Redskins(1st half), Cowboys, and now the Giants.

imatexan
10-10-2010, 09:02 PM
Schaub has had one good half of football out of ten, thus far. I've never seen him in this long of a slump. That, and his velocity, are why I think Schaub's poor play stems from physical issues.

Pleaseeeee explain how he only had ONE good half of football and what half do you claim was his only good one?

Matt has not been as good this year up until this point but only one good half of football is way off!

jshabang
10-10-2010, 09:07 PM
schaub looks bad and lost....and i have no idea why

people keep sayin schaub never looked more than average.......guys he lead the league in passsing lasy year and was in the pro bowl.......he looked over average to get there guys

last season schaub was borderline of becoming elite and was distributing the ball to to many different receivers....which doesnt seem to be happening this year

im thinking changing offensive coordinators has been bigger than we've thought.....its obvious our offense which was potent and the #1 offense in the entire nfl last year is hurting since lil shanny left and schaub is havin troubles adjusting to the new system......dont know if thats true and im grasping at straws here but i just dont know what to think about schaub this year

gafftop
10-10-2010, 09:09 PM
He is not making good decisions. Seems to be forcing ball to AJ. Nobody ever seems to be open. Could it be we are getting outcoached. On the rollouts he always goes away from line of scrimmage and then makes a weak throw. I still think coaching is a problem though.

SheTexan
10-10-2010, 09:14 PM
Dennison???

silvrhand
10-10-2010, 09:30 PM
I think the velocity issue stems from Schaub having to throw off his back foot to avoid the sack rather being able to step into the throw. That one Schaub stepped into and put the ball between 3 defenders into AJ's arm was beautiful but allot of his throws today were either on the move or off his back foot.

Schaub has never had a big cannon arm..

JB
10-10-2010, 09:32 PM

Nor has he had a small cannon arm...

Corrosion
10-11-2010, 05:39 AM

We dont utter those words around here .... we use HWWNBM :rake:

If things get worst

"Knocks on wood "

then i think we will see DANo ......

We wont see Dan-O unless Schaub is damaged goods.

I'd rather see OD under center .... running the wildcat than Dan-O.

BullNation4Life
10-11-2010, 09:03 AM

Never said he did but he has an NFL arm and against the Giants, he looked like he had a High School arm, even for him.

I think his velocity stems from not being able to step into his throws...

silvrhand
10-11-2010, 09:07 AM
Never said he did but he has an NFL arm and against the Giants, he looked like he had a High School arm, even for him.

I think his velocity stems from not being able to step into his throws...

It's the same reason we don't throw deep out routes, and why his 40+ yard completions are just that instead of 65+ TD throws.. He doesn't have down the field accuracy nor does he have a big cannon arm, which unfortunately teams are starting to figure out and we are getting schemed to death now..

Cjeremy635
10-11-2010, 09:11 AM
I think a lot of it has to do with the new OC. I know people want to think that it's because he's hurt, but he played hurt for a good portion of the season last year and still did GREAT. I remember he played through a bad ankle and a seperated shoulder last season. The O-line looked totally different last season, for whatever reason. The play calling this year has blown and the execution by the players has been half-ass. There are multiple reasons why he may look like shit, but I don't think it's due to an injury.

ArlingtonTexan
10-11-2010, 09:20 AM

I tend to think there is something physical going on. I want to say that at some point I heard Kubiak say something about Schuab being a little beat up, but nothing more ever came of it.

badboy
10-11-2010, 10:08 AM
I think we have a "perfect storm" brewing here. I think he is getting use to a new O.C. despite it being a Kubiak offense, the new guy is in his ear also. AJ and OD are not 100% and Walter seems not to be getting may plays called for him. JJ was out and like him or not he has been in a few good plays this season. The Oline was a sieve and Schaub was off target all game except for the one 48 yard play to AJ ( who BTW dropped two passes). I am hopeful it is just a confidence thing and Matt can get it together. Play calling by coaches is my main concern.

ArlingtonTexan
10-11-2010, 11:12 AM
I think we have a "perfect storm" brewing here. I think he is getting use to a new O.C. despite it being a Kubiak offense, the new guy is in his ear also. AJ and OD are not 100% and Walter seems not to be getting may plays called for him. JJ was out and like him or not he has been in a few good plays this season. The Oline was a sieve and Schaub was off target all game except for the one 48 yard play to AJ ( who BTW dropped two passes). I am hopeful it is just a confidence thing and Matt can get it together. Play calling by coaches is my main concern.

Really? What plays actually work when the Oll isn't blocking that well, your QB is not throwing the ball correctly? and WRs are dropping the ball?