PDA

View Full Version : Looking Back

steelbtexan
09-29-2010, 06:01 PM
Would you give up last yrs no.1 (KJ) and next years No.1 for ASO?

I know he's the highest paid CB in the league. But He's also the best CB in the league. Sometimes you pay to play.

I think ASO is worth it.

Rey
09-29-2010, 06:03 PM
How old is ASO?

edit..just checked...He's not that old...

I'd have done it..

Dwade
09-29-2010, 06:06 PM
Yes, any day.

stingray
09-29-2010, 06:07 PM
Revis is the best CB in the league.

steelbtexan
09-29-2010, 06:10 PM
ASO turned 29 in July.

Kulluminatii
09-29-2010, 06:13 PM

http://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1149309/randy-moss-owns-revis-o.gif
:kitten:

Rey
09-29-2010, 06:19 PM
Revis is not better than ASO. No way, no how.

stingray
09-29-2010, 06:30 PM
Revis is not better than ASO. No way, no how.

Yeah, because you say so.

Rey
09-29-2010, 06:32 PM
Yeah, because you say so.

Yeah, and Revis is better than ASO because you say so?

:goodluck:

stingray
09-29-2010, 06:34 PM
Ross Tucker was talking about this very subject a couple weeks ago on Sirius NFL Radio and he said that he's asked several Wr's in the NFL who is better and most said Revis. It wasn't a scientific poll or anything but he said that most of the WR's stated that they would rather face ASO than Revis.

DexmanC
09-29-2010, 06:39 PM
Ross Tucker was talking about this very subject a couple weeks ago on Sirius NFL Radio and he said that he's asked several Wr's in the NFL who is better and most said Revis. It wasn't a scientific poll or anything but he said that most of the WR's stated that they would rather face ASO than Revis.

Nobody throws the ball to ASO's side. Coaches just write that option
out of the gameplan.

BullsOnParade
09-29-2010, 06:41 PM
Really? Revis vs. Asomugha?

Don't we have better things to discuss. I'd say they're both pretty damn good, and they're a hell of a lot better than any CB we have.

On a side note, I think Andre is only playing this week to be a decoy against Nnamdi. If AJ's on the field, it's pretty easy to guess who is going to cover him. And since Dre is a little hampered, I think the real reason he's out there is to occupy Aso.

Look for the other receivers, heck maybe even OwenD, to have a big day!

stingray
09-29-2010, 06:42 PM
Nobody throws the ball to ASO's side. Coaches just write that option
out of the gameplan.

So I guess the Wideouts who he talked to were lying or didn't have a clue.

Rey
09-29-2010, 06:50 PM

I'm glad you are able to relay those guys' opinions to me, but I have one of my own.

I like Aso better because he hasn't had the best defense around him and he's still been able to ball out. I don't care about how many times he's been targeted or how many TD's he hasn't given up.

Matters not to me.

I like ASO because of his size, athletic ability, and his tackling. Personally, I would rather have him over Revis on my defense...If I had to choose.

DexmanC
09-29-2010, 06:50 PM
So I guess the Wideouts who he talked to were lying or didn't have a clue.

Nah. They just know they'll get more balls thrown their way if
Revis is covering them. Going against ASO might as well be
a bye week.

Rey
09-29-2010, 06:51 PM
Really? Revis vs. Asomugha?

Don't we have better things to discuss. I'd say they're both pretty damn good, and they're a hell of a lot better than any CB we have.

On a side note, I think Andre is only playing this week to be a decoy against Nnamdi. If AJ's on the field, it's pretty easy to guess who is going to cover him. And since Dre is a little hampered, I think the real reason he's out there is to occupy Aso.

Look for the other receivers, heck maybe even OwenD, to have a big day!

From what I understand, the Raiders corners generally play sides...Much like we do..

Kulluminatii
09-29-2010, 06:58 PM

Were any of the WRs named? Just curious to see if Fitz was one of them. When Aso was covering him he caught 1 pass for 18 yards, and the entire game he had 2 for 29 yards and a TD. I think Fitz was thrown to a total of 6 times.

I find this Aso vs Revis discussion very interesting, I don't think it will end anytime soon. We may finally get an answer once both of these guys are done playing and in the HOF.

From what I understand, the Raiders corners generally play sides...Much like we do..

As of this year, thats changed. Aso is finally allowed to cover the #1 WR.

Rey
09-29-2010, 07:14 PM

Has that helped any?

...Just curious...

Kulluminatii
09-29-2010, 07:26 PM
Has that helped any?

...Just curious...

A bit too soon to know how much it will help, but with Aso shutting down Fitz last week things are looking good. AJ won't be at 100% so Aso will probably shut him down as well. After this game, I don't think Aso will face an elite WR until Week 12 against the Dolphins when he lines up against Marshall.

JB
09-29-2010, 07:27 PM

I would much rather poll QB's than WR's to answer this question. A good WR thinks he is open on every play. Personally, I think that ASO is better. Put Revis in Oakland and ASO in NY and it is not even close.

awtysst
09-29-2010, 07:31 PM
Revis has had ONE(1) amazing season whereas Aso has been putting them up for years. Lets see if Revis can continue to put up those kind of seasons before we put him in the same discussion as Champ Bailey and Revis.

Kulluminatii
09-29-2010, 07:49 PM
I would much rather poll QB's than WR's to answer this question. A good WR thinks he is open on every play. Personally, I think that ASO is better. Put Revis in Oakland and ASO in NY and it is not even close.

A very good point that you've brought up. The Jet's D is leaps and bounds better than the Raiders. The constant pressure they put on the opposing team's QB often leads to INTs for Revis. Aso would truly shine if he had a D like that to work with. Revis is still a great corner, but it would be interesting to see how he functions in a weak D.

JB
09-29-2010, 07:58 PM
A very good point that you've brought up. The Jet's D is leaps and bounds better than the Raiders. The constant pressure they put on the opposing team's QB often leads to INTs for Revis. Aso would truly shine if he had a D like that to work with. Revis is still a great corner, but it would be interesting to see how he functions in a weak D.

His first two years he was good, but it was only last year that people started putting him in the conversation as one of the best.

stingray
09-29-2010, 09:11 PM
Were any of the WRs named? Just curious to see if Fitz was one of them. When Aso was covering him he caught 1 pass for 18 yards, and the entire game he had 2 for 29 yards and a TD. I think Fitz was thrown to a total of 6 times.

I find this Aso vs Revis discussion very interesting, I don't think it will end anytime soon. We may finally get an answer once both of these guys are done playing and in the HOF.

He didn't wanna name any because he didn't wanna put them in a bad spot.

Kulluminatii
09-29-2010, 09:21 PM
He didn't wanna name any because he didn't wanna put them in a bad spot.

Oh ok, fair enough.

GuerillaBlack
09-29-2010, 09:38 PM
A bit too soon to know how much it will help, but with Aso shutting down Fitz last week things are looking good. AJ won't be at 100% so Aso will probably shut him down as well. After this game, I don't think Aso will face an elite WR until Week 12 against the Dolphins when he lines up against Marshall.

Atlanta was really been Larry Fitz's only good game receiving yards wise.

thunderkyss
09-29-2010, 10:01 PM
Would you give up last yrs no.1 (KJ) and next years No.1 for ASO?

I know he's the highest paid CB in the league. But He's also the best CB in the league. Sometimes you pay to play.

I think ASO is worth it.

What if KJ becomes the "best Corner in the league" by the end of the year? OR at least top 10.

What if next year's #1 turn into the next Ed Reed? OR the next Mangold? Or the next Mario? Or the next bad ass 1st round pick?

Air Canada
09-29-2010, 10:15 PM
What if KJ becomes the "best Corner in the league" by the end of the year? OR at least top 10.

What if next year's #1 turn into the next Ed Reed? OR the next Mangold? Or the next Mario? Or the next bad ass 1st round pick?

Blahh... all those "what ifs".. you can't rely on potential much less the possibility of potential in a pick if you have a deal like that, you make it. Cuz what we DO know is how good Aso already is. :truck:

thunderkyss
09-29-2010, 10:25 PM
2 #1 picks for one player?

Really?

Rey
09-29-2010, 10:32 PM

Really?

Would it be a good move for the Colts if they gave up the first rd. pick that turned out to be Addai, and another first rd. pick that was Jerry Hughes to get Chris Johnson?

Or do you think that the Cowboys would benefit if they gave up two first rd picks for Troy Polamalu?

Or do you think that the Saints would benefit if they gave up two first rd picks for Patrick Willis?

Would you give up two first rd picks to get Freeney to play opposite Mario?

ASO is the caliber of all those players.

I think that would have been a steal to get him for two first rounders. Players of that caliber are rare...Teams don't normally make them available for even two first round picks...

JB
09-29-2010, 10:46 PM

Really?

For the right player at the right time? Absolutely! Would you have given 2 1's for AP at the time? Yes, you would.

I would give 2011 1st & 2012 1st in a heartbeat right now if it would land us Aso. Probably more.

Can you imagine if we had ASO on this team? This is the time for such a move if it was possible. I know it would never happen, but I would be all for it.

steelbtexan
09-29-2010, 11:32 PM

I'll take the no.1 CB in the NFL that should have 5 prime yrs left over the what ifs that are KJ and next years no.1.

What if next years no.1 turns out to be another OkOye. Give the proven star player every time.

dinkatoid
09-30-2010, 12:40 AM
Revis has had ONE(1) amazing season whereas Aso has been putting them up for years. Lets see if Revis can continue to put up those kind of seasons before we put him in the same discussion as Champ Bailey and Revis.

This. Plus, while Reevis had been good before, he made his big jump in the year that Rex Ryan takes over the jets. It could just all be a coincidence, but with the aggression Ryan brings to the D play calling, you have to imagine that sets up Reevis for some big plays.

VTexan
09-30-2010, 02:07 AM
Revis has had 1 good year thus far.

Just saying...

thunderkyss
09-30-2010, 09:50 AM
For the right player at the right time? Absolutely! Would you have given 2 1's for AP at the time? Yes, you would.

I would give 2011 1st & 2012 1st in a heartbeat right now if it would land us Aso. Probably more.

Can you imagine if we had ASO on this team? This is the time for such a move if it was possible. I know it would never happen, but I would be all for it.

If we're going to give up two #1s for AD, why didn't anyone do it on draft day?

6 teams didn't spend a single #1 to get him. Looking back, I'm sure they would have done it differently. But to me, giving up 2 first round picks for any player is bad business.

steelbtexan
09-30-2010, 10:14 AM
If we're going to give up two #1s for AD, why didn't anyone do it on draft day?

6 teams didn't spend a single #1 to get him. Looking back, I'm sure they would have done it differently. But to me, giving up 2 first round picks for any player is bad business.

Iknow this ? wasn't directed to me. But NFL teams are mostly conservative. There owners are conservative and their franchises are run that way.

Draft picks are cheaper than aquiring a vet FA/player in trade. This is why you never see trades for vets like ASO or FA signings. Teams that do spend the $$$ though are generally successful. Ask NO fans if they are happy with the Brees signing. Or Bears fans the same about the Peppers signing. Vikings, Favrve, Jets etc.....

The NBA and MLB operate differently where 1/2 star players can make all of the difference to a team. Of course the NBA has a soft cap and MLB has no cap. So that could be the reason they operate differently.

The NFL has no cap this year and I believe the reason most owners are still operating as if there is a cap is because they are holding $$$ back because of the inevitable lockout.

Thanks billionaire owners a few million $$$ a year that you are making off your investment in your team doesn't go quite as far as it used too.

Also thanks for no football in 2011.

End of rant

Texan_Bill
09-30-2010, 10:39 AM

Asomugha has been in the league twice as long as Revis.

Hervoyel
09-30-2010, 10:40 AM

I disagree, Revis is the flavor of the moment. Before he was the popular choice for best CB in the league Aso was. Next year or the year after it will be somebody else.

The best you can do is say "These guys, they're the cream of the crop" and then argue whether or not a particular player deserves to be included in that "tier".

Aso or Revis, I wouldn't fine either of them for writing "Pay Me Rick" on the back of their shoes.

Texan_Bill
09-30-2010, 10:48 AM
I dunno, AJ had 4 receptions for only 35 yards v. the Jets. He had 2 receptions for 66 yards v. Oakland...

*shrugs*

JB
09-30-2010, 10:53 AM
I dunno, AJ had 4 receptions for only 35 yards v. the Jets. He had 2 receptions for 66 yards v. Oakland...

*shrugs*

His day against the Jets had more to do with the pressure than with the coverage.

thunderkyss
09-30-2010, 12:30 PM
Draft picks are cheaper than aquiring a vet FA/player in trade. This is why you never see trades for vets like ASO or FA signings. Teams that do spend the $$$ though are generally successful. Ask NO fans if they are happy with the Brees signing. Or Bears fans the same about the Peppers signing. Vikings, Favrve, Jets etc.....

I'm not against trading for a player, or breaking the bank in an uncapped year.

But none of the acquisitions you mentioned are even close to giving away two 1st round picks.

steelbtexan
09-30-2010, 01:07 PM
I'm not against trading for a player, or breaking the bank in an uncapped year.

But none of the acquisitions you mentioned are even close to giving away two 1st round picks.

Difference in opinion and that's cool.

I would trade 2 1st rd picks for Peppers or ASO. That would give the Texans the best pass rush in the league. Look at what Peppers has done for the Bears defense. If I needed a QB giving up 2 1st rd picks for Brees (Top 5 QB) wouldn't even be a question. Give me the known great player vs a draft pick any day.

Apparently The Bears agree with my philosophy. They Signed Peppers in FA and gave up atwo No.1's for Cutler. They are 3-0. Coincedence, I think not.

Meanwhile the Texans keep rolling along as is. We will have to see which philosophy is right Angelo's or Smithiaks. Really it's McNair's or the McCaskey's philosiphy.

thunderkyss
09-30-2010, 01:12 PM
Difference in opinion and that's cool.

I would trade 2 1st rd picks for Peppers or ASO. That would give the Texans the best pass rush in the league. Look at what Peppers has done for the Bears defense. If I needed a QB giving up 2 1st rd picks for Brees (Top 5 QB) wouldn't even be a question. Give me the known great player vs a draft pick any day.

Apparently The Bears agree with my philosophy. They Signed Peppers in FA and gave up atwo No.1's for Cutler. They are 3-0. Coincedence, I think not.

Meanwhile the Texans keep rolling along as is. We will have to see which philosophy is right Angelo's or Smithiaks. Really it's McNair's or the McCaskey's philosiphy.

The Bears gave up Orton & one two first round pick. (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4037373) You're right. But it didn't start looking like a good idea until this year. 3-0... we're 2-1 & we've got Antonio Smith, giving up 2 second round picks for our QB.

Again, I don't mind acquiring players in FA. I would have loved to have Peppers here.