PDA

View Full Version : Haywood Jeffires

Hookem Horns
09-28-2010, 11:21 PM
I forgot to mention that I met Haywood Jeffires at the game on Sunday. He was just standing there in the Blue Lot probably waiting on someone. I recognized him and had to approach him. He was pretty cool and seemed cool about having a fan come up and talk to him. I remember yelling out "Haywood!" plenty on Sundays, normally after a clutch grab, however at times after a drop. He was probably my favorite WR during the R&S era.

I asked him if he was on board with the Texans and he was real honest with me. He basically said something along the lines that after the Oilers left it wasn't the same for him. It's nice though to see him still supporting the community. He is coaching a semi pro team somewhere in the Houston area.

Double Barrel
09-29-2010, 09:31 AM
Freakwood! I've always liked Jeffires and got to meet him at an All Access years ago.

Dread-Head
09-29-2010, 10:46 AM
I forgot to mention that I met Haywood Jeffires at the game on Sunday. He was just standing there in the Blue Lot probably waiting on someone. I recognized him and had to approach him. He was pretty cool and seemed cool about having a fan come up and talk to him. I remember yelling out "Haywood!" plenty on Sundays, normally after a clutch grab, however at times after a drop. He was probably my favorite WR during the R&S era.

I asked him if he was on board with the Texans and he was real honest with me. He basically said something along the lines that after the Oilers left it wasn't the same for him. It's nice though to see him still supporting the community. He is coaching a semi pro team somewhere in the Houston area.

he was coaching that women's team for a minute. I always liked him.

Texan_Bill
09-29-2010, 10:57 AM
I think he makes it out to a lot of Texans games. In any event, I always enjoyed watching him play. Anyone remember him running into the camera guy in Cleveland?

Mr. White
09-29-2010, 11:11 AM
I'm not sure any old Oilers are really on board with the Texans. At least none of the big names. Earl Campbell was wearing a generic t-shirt to last weekend's game that just said "Football" on it.

The Texans haven't done much to connect with them. I don't think the "Homecoming game" gesture means much to them or the fans.

JB
09-29-2010, 11:20 AM
I'm not sure any old Oilers are really on board with the Texans. At least none of the big names. Earl Campbell was wearing a generic t-shirt to last weekend's game that just said "Football" on it.

The Texans haven't done much to connect with them. I don't think the "Homecoming game" gesture means much to them or the fans.

I thought they had a number of ex-Oilers that are Texans Ambassadors?

Mr. White
09-29-2010, 11:30 AM
I thought they had a number of ex-Oilers that are Texans Ambassadors?

Yeah and I'm pretty sure Haywood was one of them. Shows what that title really means to the ex-players.

HTown2ATX
09-29-2010, 11:36 AM
Man, him and Givens were the $hit back in the day.....accept that one game in the 2nd half......you know which one I mean and I'll stop there. :facepalm:

Double Barrel
09-29-2010, 02:41 PM

Personally, I think the Texans should just retire the number 34 out of respect to fans, Earl, and this city's football history. That gesture alone would mean a lot to everyone.

Plus, I doubt anyone can ever fill the shoes of the big three of 34's: Earl, Nolan, Hakeem. It's a special number in this town.

MannyFresh
09-29-2010, 02:50 PM
Personally, I think the Texans should just retire the number 34 out of respect to fans, Earl, and this city's football history. That gesture alone would mean a lot to everyone.

Plus, I doubt anyone can ever fill the shoes of the big three of 34's: Earl, Nolan, Hakeem. It's a special number in this town.

I see your point, but I think the Texans' organization will have their own special '34' player one day. Earl is revered in the city, but not where the Texans should retire the #34. That "34" belongs to that other team out in Deliverance Land so they can do what they want with it. But the man himself yes he's definitely loved in Houston and we definitely appreciate the memories he gave us with his play.

Texan_Bill
09-29-2010, 03:42 PM

I've suggested the same thing. No one should ever be allowed to wear the # 34 in this city again!

Sorry Barber!!

Seņor Stan
09-29-2010, 03:49 PM
Givens>Jeffires>Hill>Duncan

Double Barrel
09-29-2010, 03:53 PM
I see your point, but I think the Texans' organization will have their own special '34' player one day. Earl is revered in the city, but not where the Texans should retire the #34. That "34" belongs to that other team out in Deliverance Land so they can do what they want with it. But the man himself yes he's definitely loved in Houston and we definitely appreciate the memories he gave us with his play.

That's exactly why the franchise should do it, for the fans and our history. It's a giant middle finger to Buck Fud, and the killer part is that Earl would actually show up for this retirement ceremony.

Seattle retired the number 12 for their fans (i.e. "the 12th man"). I think it would be special to do it, perhaps after we retire the number 80 (which should probably be our first retired number, all things considered).

Hookem Horns
09-29-2010, 03:58 PM
That's exactly why the franchise should do it, for the fans and our history. It's a giant middle finger to Buck Fud, and the killer part is that Earl would actually show up for this retirement ceremony.

Seattle retired the number 12 for their fans (i.e. "the 12th man"). I think it would be special to do it, perhaps after we retire the number 80 (which should probably be our first retired number, all things considered).

Did the Ravens retire 19 for Johnny U? They have the statue.

Texan_Bill
09-29-2010, 03:58 PM

Some could argue a different order.

I liked Ernest, but not one season did he lead the Oilers in recieving.
Jeffires only led the team two seasons while Hill lead the most of the that period. Curtis Duncan lead the team once which is still more than Givens.

It really came down to personal favorites, really.. I kinda dug Curtis Duncan. It seemed to come up with a big catch when needed... But then again they all did. LOL!

JB
09-29-2010, 04:22 PM
Some could argue a different order.

I liked Ernest, but not one season did he lead the Oilers in recieving.
Jeffires only led the team two seasons while Hill lead the most of the that period. Curtis Duncan lead the team once which is still more than Givens.

It really came down to personal favorites, really.. I kinda dug Curtis Duncan. It seemed to come up with a big catch when needed... But then again they all did. LOL!

I think they all filled a certain role better than the others. Givens was great over the middle, Jeffires was great on the fly.

CloakNNNdagger
09-29-2010, 08:17 PM
[QUOTE=Mr. White;1535658]I'm not sure any old Oilers are really on board with the Texans. At least none of the big names. Earl Campbell was wearing a generic t-shirt to last weekend's game that just said "Football" on it.

The Texans haven't done much to connect with them. I don't think the "Homecoming game" gesture means much to them or the fans.[/QUOTE

In an interview on 610 radio, Earl was asked with which team he now identified since the Oilers have left Houston........The Titans or the Texans. After a very obvious thoughtful pause, he said, "The Texans."

TEXANRED
09-29-2010, 08:27 PM

He owns the Pearland Gamblers. I played for them for a little bit. It was fun.

And Haywood is cool. All around good guy.

Here is the website for the Gamblers http://www.gamblersfootball.net/index.php/news/46-tryouts-sign-up-now

Texan_Bill
09-29-2010, 08:40 PM
[QUOTE=Mr. White;1535658]I'm not sure any old Oilers are really on board with the Texans. At least none of the big names. Earl Campbell was wearing a generic t-shirt to last weekend's game that just said "Football" on it.

The Texans haven't done much to connect with them. I don't think the "Homecoming game" gesture means much to them or the fans.[/QUOTE

In an interview on 610 radio, Earl was asked with which team he now identified since the Oilers have left Houston........The Titans or the Texans. After a very obvious thoughtful pause, he said, "The Texans."

Yes, I remember and support this!! He also said in this or another interview, that he was a HOUSTON Oiler.

THE NFL
09-29-2010, 08:48 PM

NO ONE should ever wear the #34 for a pro team in this city ever again. I dont care what team they played for thats part of Houston history.

Just for the sake of accuracy, Deliverance was filmed in Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina.

NitroGSXR
09-29-2010, 08:58 PM
Givens=Jeffires=Hill=Duncan
Fixed.

I loved that bunch. Haywood and all those falling down sideline catches he made. Nobody could keep their feet inbounds better but I loved them all equally.

DexmanC
09-29-2010, 09:12 PM

That receiving corp RIPS UPS Tecmo Super Bowl.

JB
09-29-2010, 09:29 PM
Givens=Jeffires=Hill=Duncan

Fixed.

I loved that bunch. Haywood and all those falling down sideline catches he made. Nobody could keep their feet inbounds better but I loved them all equally.

Totally agree with you Nitro. This just brought to mind the question of the greatest receivers in Houston history. How about a line up of AJ & Kenny Burroughs on the outside and Givens and Duncan in the slot?

Awesome! AmIRight?

Mr. White
09-29-2010, 10:00 PM
Can't believe no one's mentioned Webster Slaughter. That guy made some unbelievable grabs.

NitroGSXR
09-29-2010, 10:10 PM
Can't believe no one's mentioned Webster Slaughter. That guy made some unbelievable grabs.

He also made some unbelievable drops. I think we caught him at the tail end of his career more than anything else. Eric Moulds was our Webster Slaughter.

Hookem Horns
09-29-2010, 10:11 PM

Yeah, he was a latecomer to the group maybe that is why. I remember how excited I was when the Oilers obtained him. I couldn't stand him in Cleveland because he was good.

Showtime100
09-29-2010, 10:14 PM
I loved those muddy dark cloudy games in Cleveland. From all accounts the players, friend and foe alike, did as well.

JB
09-29-2010, 10:20 PM
Yeah, he was a latecomer to the group maybe that is why. I remember how excited I was when the Oilers obtained him. I couldn't stand him in Cleveland because he was good.

Yeah, but not so much when he hit Houston...

Hookem Horns
09-29-2010, 10:24 PM

True he was more of a playmaker in Cleveland as he was the go to guy up there. His role was different here however he was still a good WR.

Showtime100
09-29-2010, 10:24 PM

Cleveland will always remember Slaughter for quitting on a play that Cleveland would have scored on has Webster made a simple block. Instead Elway, with time, got the ball again. And the rest.....is history.

Mr. White
09-29-2010, 11:02 PM
True he was more of a playmaker in Cleveland as he was the go to guy up there. His role was different here however he was still a good WR.

We used Webster as more of a 3rd down possession guy. To his detractors, I'll admit the guy got off to a slow start here.

But he was nowhere close to Eric Moulds.

Hookem Horns
09-30-2010, 01:42 AM
How did we forget about Gary Wellman and Tony Jones?

SheTexan
09-30-2010, 07:14 AM
Good memories of a time gone by! Face it guys! Our present team could care less about the fans, so what makes you think they care about ANY of Houstons history. After all, most of them are from OUT OF STATE so why should they care?:sarcasm: In other words, their loyalty is to themselves, noone else!! This applys to the entire franchise! JMO!!

All of the above mentioned players are part of the reason I love the GAME of football so much. They made it fun to watch. I remember seeing Haywood at one of the Taste of Texas events and he was simply awesome with the fans. Spent time chatting, signing autographs, smiling the entire time. I realize times have changed, and we have an entire different mindset amongst players, but, it still makes me sad to see our history, instate rivalries, and even old rivalries like the Steelers and Browns, and of course the Titans, mean absolutely NOTHING to this franchise. Hard for an old timer like me to understand.

Texan_Bill
09-30-2010, 08:28 AM
That receiving corp RIPS UPS Tecmo Super Bowl.

:D I support this!

Double Barrel
09-30-2010, 09:45 AM
Good memories of a time gone by! Face it guys! Our present team could care less about the fans, so what makes you think they care about ANY of Houstons history. After all, most of them are from OUT OF STATE so why should they care?:sarcasm: In other words, their loyalty is to themselves, noone else!! This applys to the entire franchise! JMO!!

Sad, but true, my friend. Sometimes I think we are seen more as paying customers than as fans. They pay lip service about "doing it for the fans", but sometimes that's just an incomplete statement. It should be "doing it for the fans' money."

Texan_Bill
09-30-2010, 02:52 PM
I loved those muddy dark cloudy games in Cleveland. From all accounts the players, friend and foe alike, did as well.

Except for that ****ed up end zone where the Dog Pound was.

Hookem Horns
09-30-2010, 03:20 PM
Except for that ****ed up end zone where the Dog Pound was.

I did a Cleveland road trip in the early 90's. It was COLD and snowing. The Oilers stunk up most of the game and the Browns were a 1st down from ending the game leading 14-10. However Belicheck decided to run the ball up the middle 3 times instead of going for the 1st down. The Browns punted, the Oilers got the ball deep in their own territory with less than a minute to play. With time running out and 3rd and long, Cody Carlson (Moon was out) hit Lorenzo White on a screen and no one was around him. White almost took it to the house. I think he was brought down around the 5. With just seconds left Carlson hit Givens in the end zone and we won 17-14. That stadium was in shock. My buddy stood up (he was a big guy) with his Cris Dishman jersey on and started yelling at the Browns fans saying "Let me hear you bark now!! ... Let me hear you bark now!!".

That was a crazy game.

Texan_Bill
09-30-2010, 03:25 PM
I did a Cleveland road trip in the early 90's. It was COLD and snowing. The Oilers stunk up most of the game and the Browns were a 1st down from ending the game leading 14-10. However Belicheck decided to run the ball up the middle 3 times instead of going for the 1st down. The Browns punted, the Oilers got the ball deep in their own territory with less than a minute to play. With time running out and 3rd and long, Cody Carlson (Moon was out) hit Lorenzo White on a screen and no one was around him. White almost took it to the house. I think he was brought down around the 5. With just seconds left Carlson hit Givens in the end zone and we won 17-14. That stadium was in shock. My buddy stood up (he was a big guy) with his Cris Dishman jersey on and started yelling at the Browns fans saying "Let me hear you bark now!! ... Let me hear you bark now!!".

That was a crazy game.

Awesome!!

I remember that!! The best part was, as I was reading your post describing the play, I could visualize it.

Showtime100
09-30-2010, 03:30 PM
*goosebumps* :yes:

Hookem Horns
09-30-2010, 03:33 PM
Awesome!!

I remember that!! The best part was, as I was reading your post describing the play, I could visualize it.

I was trying to see if that game was on Youtube. I didn't find it however I found a guy that has a ton of Browns games up with plenty of Oiler games over the years. He has the one from that year at the Dome. He also has the one in Cleveland a year earlier where Stover slipped in the snow and missed the game winning FG in the closing seconds. Here is the link http://www.youtube.com/user/diz2001

Just a word of caution, you might get emotional watching some of this.

midway
10-03-2010, 09:38 PM
I love the Texans, they're my team now, but damn this thread makes me miss the Oilers.

Hookem Horns
10-03-2010, 09:42 PM
I love the Texans, they're my team now, but damn this thread makes me miss the Oilers.

Want a cure for that? Just watch the Titans/Broncos highlights from today.

Showtime100
10-03-2010, 09:56 PM
As I watched the game today when we had the big but deceivingly unsafe lead I thought about the Raider fans and what transpired with the Raiders moving away and then back.

Point being the fans welcomed the Raiders and Al Davis back with open arms and I'm not sure I would have had it in me to do the same. The dilemma would have been the Oilers would be back. The NF freaking L would be back in Houston...........but with Bud.

As it is I'm glad it worked out the way it did. I'm happy for the fresh start and (one would think) fresh karma for the city of Houston. Bud would have been on the same plane home as the team and that, I believe, would cast a pall over the whole thing.

The reality is the 3-1 Houston Texans are my team come hell or high water and Bud is in Tennessee giving the fans the bird from his luxury box. Good riddance.

I loved the Oilers as much as the next guy and think back with fond and frigtening memories. However, I'm glad it's a chapter in history never to be never to be touched by future events.

--------------------
EDIT: Greetings, Bud
xoxoxo
Your #1 Fan
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r65/ShowtimeN15580/Sports/OilersNo1Fan.jpg