PDA

View Full Version : Packers may be interested in Slaton

Mari-OWNED!
09-28-2010, 11:05 PM
http://www.betus.com/sports-betting/rumors/nfl/nfl-rumors-green-bay-2010-09-28/

The other NFL rumor gaining steam is the Packers targeting Steve Slaton of the Houston Texans. Since Arian Foster is the leading man for the Texans, Slaton has been relegated to third-down duty. He has just 12 attempts for 57 yards this season but behind the burly line of Green Bay, the former third-round pick in 2008 could offer that breakaway bang the Packers need so badly.

Not the greatest article in the world, but it does bring up some interesting talk.

GuerillaBlack
09-28-2010, 11:06 PM
Interesting. If Derrick Ward is capable of holding his own like he did with the Giants, I wouldn't be opposed to a Slaton trade.

thunderkyss
09-28-2010, 11:12 PM
Is Jeremiah on the IR or not?

We'll need to get another back in here, if we move Slaton.

Kulluminatii
09-28-2010, 11:15 PM
Maybe its for the best. The Packers running game sucks and Slaton hasn't been doing much of anything for you guys' lately. Maybe this could be a win-win for both parties. I still think Slaton can get close to how effective he was his rookie year, maybe a change of scenery is what it will take. What do you guys think is a fair trade for Slaton?

NitroGSXR
They'd be smarter to just wait for us to cut Slaton. He's damaged goods. I've understood this for about a year now. Neck surgery. C'mon now...

Hervoyel
And that back needs to be Jeremiah Johnson assuming we reach a point where he's healthy. Once that toe heals he is I believe a better Slaton than Slaton. He's like Steve without the fumbling baggage and without the loss of confidence that Slaton seems to have had. I think it's better for everybody if Slaton finds a new home. He could be that change of scenery player who comes back to life in new surroundings.

redwhiteANDblue
09-28-2010, 11:18 PM
Maybe Slaton and some picks for Charles Woodson!....I can dream can't I? :kitten:

Wolf
09-28-2010, 11:21 PM
but but.... who would return kicks, That is the most exciting 10-12 return yards in ANY sport that I have ever seen

:whip: :joker:

Hookem Horns
09-28-2010, 11:26 PM
They'd be smarter to just wait for us to cut Slaton. He's damaged goods. I've understood this for about a year now. Neck surgery. C'mon now...

Shhh ... you never know if any Packers officials read this board.;)

Hervoyel
09-28-2010, 11:30 PM
but but.... who would return kicks, That is the most exciting 10-12 return yards in ANY sport that I have ever seen

We could always go see what Chris Henry is doing right? He hasn't been picked up yet has he?

That guy easily covered 2.3 yards in the most assertive and violent manner possible before going down with minimal contact for no apparent reason. Then he always popped up like he was genuinely surprised that the 171 pound third string cornerback managed to bring him down with a glancing arm tackle and NEXT TIME.... he was gonna BRING THE PAIN!!!

Until I saw Chris Henry in a few preseason games I thought I understood the age old expression about looking like Tarzan and running like Jane. Henry embodied it.

Monster muscles? Check.
Great Speed? Check.
Maximum Intimidation Dreadlocks? Check.
Swagger of Doom? Check.

Balance and Vision? Absent Without Leave. What a pity.

I'd love to see him return kicks. It would be worth the price of admission just to see him return kicks. Even if somebody had to stand next to him, catch the ball, and hand it to him I'd still love to see the Texans try it.

For laughs of course.

Big Lou
09-28-2010, 11:30 PM
This all started in a Packers Blog a while back as a suggestion. The writer suggested Slaton or Lynch. The blogger suggested trading us Hawk for Slaton, do we really need a LB, don't think so.

If you were the Packers what would you give for Slaton.......

Hopefully they don't have any new film on him. Unfortunately he's worth more to us than he is to them. The Packers have a chance of going deep in the playoffs this year so they may reach, but Slaton has done a lot more wrong than good this year. Well at least he hasn't fumbled.......

Who know maybe it could happen, but what would we really get out of the deal but a draft pick, I wouldn't give anything higher than a 5th, and what does that get us now?

Big Lou
09-28-2010, 11:35 PM

Well sometimes its a one yard return like in DC.

Slatons best return was when he muffed the Kick Off in Washington and almost gave up a safety, but at least the ball came out to the 20, a 30% longer return than he's averaged so far this year.

When you say 10-12 yard return are you counting the yards in the end zone?!?!?!?!?!?
:soapbox:

Hervoyel
09-28-2010, 11:37 PM
Oh, I don't know. I'd take Hawk for Slaton in a heartbeat. Maybe we don't "need" a LB but he might be an upgrade over Diles.

Texan_Bill
09-28-2010, 11:38 PM
Really? Some of you people are worried about SS's returns (which I admit are less than spectacular)???

We don't have bigger problems??? Just askin'...

pbat488
09-28-2010, 11:41 PM
Wow, Cushing - Ryans - Hawk would be a NASTY linebacking corps.

Brisco_County
09-28-2010, 11:43 PM
The source of Slaton's problems are in his head. Trading him and allowing him to hit reset would be the right thing.

And this is coming from one of his biggest fans.

NitroGSXR
09-28-2010, 11:45 PM
Really? Some of you people are worried about SS's returns (which I admit are less than spectacular)???

We don't have bigger problems??? Just askin'...

I don't give a rats ass about Slaton's returns. They suck but we also have the air raid on offense to make up for it. We got bigger problems with Slaton and those are fumbles. I'm game for getting ANYTHING of value for Slaton because his neck belongs on that cut sheet.

Green Bay as a trading partner would make me esatatic. Especially if we get some of their pass defense in return.

Brisco_County
09-28-2010, 11:55 PM
I don't give a rats ass about Slaton's returns. They suck but we also have the air raid on offense to make up for it. We got bigger problems with Slaton and those are fumbles. I'm game for getting ANYTHING of value for Slaton because his neck belongs on that cut sheet.

Green Bay as a trading partner would make me esatatic. Especially if we get some of their pass defense in return.

I see three problems with Slaton doing returns:

1) Fumbling on a return is utterly demoralizing.

2) He has great acceleration, but no top gear like Jacoby.

3) Lacks experience at it.

mattieuk
09-28-2010, 11:59 PM
From what I've seen from Slaton over the past year and a bit, I'd be more than happy to get something in return for him.

Something to help the D would be ideal, but TBH I'd take whatever we can get in draft picks if they don't want to give up manpower.

Wolf6151
09-29-2010, 12:02 AM
In trade for Slaton I'll take a CB from their depth chart, probably someone that no one has ever heard of, a cheese hat, and 2 blonde cheerleaders.

TexansSeminole
09-29-2010, 12:05 AM
We could always go see what Chris Henry is doing right? He hasn't been picked up yet has he?

That guy easily covered 2.3 yards in the most assertive and violent manner possible before going down with minimal contact for no apparent reason. Then he always popped up like he was genuinely surprised that the 171 pound third string cornerback managed to bring him down with a glancing arm tackle and NEXT TIME.... he was gonna BRING THE PAIN!!!

Until I saw Chris Henry in a few preseason games I thought I understood the age old expression about looking like Tarzan and running like Jane. Henry embodied it.

Monster muscles? Check.
Great Speed? Check.
Maximum Intimidation Dreadlocks? Check.
Swagger of Doom? Check.

Balance and Vision? Absent Without Leave. What a pity.

I'd love to see him return kicks. It would be worth the price of admission just to see him return kicks. Even if somebody had to stand next to him, catch the ball, and hand it to him I'd still love to see the Texans try it.

For laughs of course.

Herv, he returned kicks for Tennessee. Don't your remember the biggest hit John Madden has ever seen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pF9624HMgk)?

TheMatrix31
09-29-2010, 12:06 AM
Do they have any crappy corners? Yeah.

Goldensilence
09-29-2010, 12:08 AM
Oh, I don't know. I'd take Hawk for Slaton in a heartbeat. Maybe we don't "need" a LB but he might be an upgrade over Diles.

There's no might involved. I love the guy, but Diles is what he is.

Far as what I'd ask for Slaton if this did gain momentum, which I don't think there is, I'd really like to see them look for help at FS or CB.

TheIronDuke
09-29-2010, 12:12 AM
Who would give up anything for Slaton? He's shown nothing so that's pretty much what we'd get for him.

TexansSeminole
09-29-2010, 12:14 AM
If your going to trade Slaton, I would like to see a trade for a draft pick. You aren't going to get anyone special for Slaton at this point unless you steal it from somebody. Atleast with a 4th or 5th rounder there is a chance to get someone special. I know we need help now but always remember that we are where we are to this point because of THE DRAFT.

Our problem is that the guy that we would have liked to replace Slaton in such a situation got hurt in the first preseason game. We don't have anyone outside of Derrick Ward to back up Foster. I don't know if we could really afford this trade without getting some sort of running back in return or through another move.

beerlover
09-29-2010, 12:25 AM
doubt Texans do it cause if Arian gets dinged that would leave only Ward

gg no re
09-29-2010, 12:36 AM
Ironically, my Packer fan friend joked to me that Ted Thompson should trade for Steve Slaton the moment when Ryan Grant went down.

Texecutioner
09-29-2010, 02:19 AM
And that back needs to be Jeremiah Johnson assuming we reach a point where he's healthy. Once that toe heals he is I believe a better Slaton than Slaton. He's like Steve without the fumbling baggage and without the loss of confidence that Slaton seems to have had. I think it's better for everybody if Slaton finds a new home. He could be that change of scenery player who comes back to life in new surroundings.

My thoughts exactly. I'll always root for Slaton. He's got some really nice moves still, but man his head just doesn't seem to be in the games and he just has such a knack for screwing up. A change of scenery could hopefully help him, and if it did, it would be really nice to see him in that offense in GB. At least he'd get a good shot at some carries over there.

Koolaid Time
09-29-2010, 06:53 AM
There's no might involved. I love the guy, but Diles is what he is.

Far as what I'd ask for Slaton if this did gain momentum, which I don't think there is, I'd really like to see them look for help at FS or CB.

I'd trade Slayton for Tramon Williams.

El Tejano
09-29-2010, 07:09 AM
If your going to trade Slaton, I would like to see a trade for a draft pick. You aren't going to get anyone special for Slaton at this point unless you steal it from somebody. Atleast with a 4th or 5th rounder there is a chance to get someone special. I know we need help now but always remember that we are where we are to this point because of THE DRAFT.

Our problem is that the guy that we would have liked to replace Slaton in such a situation got hurt in the first preseason game. We don't have anyone outside of Derrick Ward to back up Foster. I don't know if we could really afford this trade without getting some sort of running back in return or through another move.

I think we could do what you are saying. Getting a draft pick would be smart. I know alot of people don't like him but we are talking about a 3rd string RB if we sign Ryan Moats again.

TimeKiller
09-29-2010, 07:55 AM
Um, I'd take anything the Pack had to offer. Anything.

El Tejano
09-29-2010, 09:02 AM
What do yall think about making this move if Ryan Moats can be signed again?

Not to mention, I think someone kind of brought this up in the Angry Kubiak thread, but Kubiak will get his point across with making a trade like this.

BigBull17
09-29-2010, 09:11 AM
What do yall think about making this move if Ryan Moats can be signed again?

Not to mention, I think someone kind of brought this up in the Angry Kubiak thread, but Kubiak will get his point across with making a trade like this.

I think Moats pissed Kubiak off. I heard they got into a heated discusion on the practice field or OTA's and then Moats was cut.

I wouldn't mind an upgrade for Diles. If we did the trade Slaton for Hawk then maybe they would use Cush for pass rush and Hawk for coverage. You would have to get a 3rd string RB.

Also, what can Paymah do as a return man? COuld that be the reason we picked him up?

TimeKiller
09-29-2010, 09:33 AM
I think Moats pissed Kuniak off. I heard they got into a heated discusion on the practice field or OTA's and then Moats was cut. Probably wanted more playing time since he was outplaying Kub's boy Slaton.

I wouldn't mind an upgrade for Diles. If we did the trade Slaton for Hawk then maybe they would use Cush for pass rush and Hawk for coverage. You would have to get a 3rd string RB.

I can see them sliding down Cush to Barwin's vacant spot on the DL (not fulltime but enough to make a trade for Hawk work).

gtexan02
09-29-2010, 09:37 AM
Slaton is a horrible, horrible KR.

He's averaging close to 5 yards per carry as a backup RB. He's been at 4.7 or 4.8 every game. He's never received more than 6 carries though, so I dont know realistically why we're expecting him to put up big numbers. Running backs need to get into a rhythm, typically. I'd like to see Foster getting 15-20 carries a game and Slaton getting ~10. I'd take the 40 yards a week if he keeps up his pace.

Also, no fumbles or close fumbles and none of the trying to get an extra yard while 10 guys swipe at you moves either.

The1ApplePie
09-29-2010, 09:50 AM
I like Slaton, but Hawk would be too good to pass up. Adding a piece to the front seven will make our terrible secondary look better.

silvrhand
09-29-2010, 09:55 AM
We can't trade him we are too thing at RB, what happens if Arian Foster gets hurt, it's his first year we don't know how well he'll hold up. If he goes down we have no backup if we trade Slaton..

drs23
09-29-2010, 10:23 AM
Maybe its for the best. The Packers running game sucks and Slaton hasn't been doing much of anything for you guys' lately. Maybe this could be a win-win for both parties. I still think Slaton can get close to how effective he was his rookie year, maybe a change of scenery is what it will take. What do you guys think is a fair trade for Slaton?

All true perhaps but the main reason for this post: I tried to rep you for your new avatar but the 'ol dreaded "MSR" so ya got one in the bank!

badboy
09-29-2010, 10:46 AM
We can't trade him we are too thing at RB, what happens if Arian Foster gets hurt, it's his first year we don't know how well he'll hold up. If he goes down we have no backup if we trade Slaton..I don't think Slaton is a back up. We should take what we can get for him (if rumor is true) and smile. I don't see GB trading Hawk but I'd take him. We gave a 3rd for Slaton that we got in the trade down for Brown and Barber. If we got a 4th I'd be pleasantly surprised.

GP
09-29-2010, 10:54 AM
Am I missing something here?

Why would GB even want to trade Hawk? And especially why would they trade him for Slaton?

Maybe I don't follow the Packers enough to know how/why Hawk is trade bait.

eriadoc
09-29-2010, 10:55 AM
There was a point in time where we could have gotten a 3rd round pick for Rosencopter. Instead, we waited until his value fell.

SELL, SELL, SELL!!!!!

Ole Miss Texan
09-29-2010, 11:02 AM
Forgive my lack of knowledge but why would the Packers want to trade AJ Hawk? Has he been sucking it up or something?

That'd be pretty sweet if we did get Hawk though. Then we'd have 3 of the Top 10 selections from 2006 with Mario, Hawk and Leinart.

Demeco and Cushing are arguably two of the best 4-3 LBs in the league though. I really really like Diles but that would not hold me from getting more talent to compete for that 3rd spot. The only problem is Hawk's contract being that #5 overall. It's insane and he would have to restructure for me to do the deal.

We'd HAVE to pick up a RB if we did trade Slaton (preferably for a draft pick). I'd be fine with Ryan Moats but I had never heard of him and Kubiak getting into it if that's true. Not sure what we could get in terms of a draft pick but it would be a late rounder I'm guessing... and it could actually be used in a trade up scenario if we liked a CB/FS in the 1st/2nd!

With all that said, I really like Slaton and hope he can end up turning things around... get his confidence back. He's running scared right now. I doubt a trade goes through but it should be interesting.

badboy
09-29-2010, 11:03 AM

Why would GB even want to trade Hawk? And especially why would they trade him for Slaton?

Maybe I don't follow the Packers enough to know how/why Hawk is trade bait.Exactly See my post above yours.

Hervoyel
09-29-2010, 11:07 AM

Maybe I don't follow the Packers enough to know how/why Hawk is trade bait.

Nobody of any consequence said they did. Just some blogger who probably doesn't like him for some reason. Just taking that premise (clearly fictional though it may be) I just said "I'd do that in a heartbeat".

I don't actually expect anyone in Green Bay to be stupid enough to do it.

Grams
09-29-2010, 11:15 AM
We can't trade him we are too thing at RB, what happens if Arian Foster gets hurt, it's his first year we don't know how well he'll hold up. If he goes down we have no backup if we trade Slaton..

If Foster goes down - we are screwed - Slaton doesn't come close to being a backup. Unless he is backing up the water boy.

disaacks3
09-29-2010, 11:21 AM
There was a point in time where we could have gotten a 3rd round pick for Rosencopter. Instead, we waited until his value fell.

SELL, SELL, SELL!!!!! BINGO! He's looked horrid the last two weeks. I'd take a 5th rounder for him in a heartbeat.

The1ApplePie
09-29-2010, 12:30 PM
Nobody of any consequence said they did. Just some blogger who probably doesn't like him for some reason. Just taking that premise (clearly fictional though it may be) I just said "I'd do that in a heartbeat".

I don't actually expect anyone in Green Bay to be stupid enough to do it.

He apparently isn't a great ILB in the 3-4, according to Packers fans.

Dash
09-29-2010, 12:34 PM
I wouldn't mind trading him for a corner or a mid pick in next year's draft.

Texecutioner
09-29-2010, 12:36 PM
I don't see GB trading Hawk but I'd take him.

Hawk could easily be traded for a ham sandwich. GB doesn't covet him at all. He's been dreadful for them to the point that they don't even play him at all hardly. Hawk's been on the chopping block for quite some time over there.

I don't know if Hawk would be that much of help to us honestly if he's as bad as the reports have suggested. I'd rather just get some picks or a positional player that could help us somewhere else.

Errant Hothy
09-29-2010, 12:38 PM
Hawk could easily be traded for a ham sandwich. GB doesn't covet him at all. He's been dreadful for them to the point that they don't even play him at all hardly. Hawk's been on the chopping block for quite some time over there.

I don't know if Hawk would be that much of help to us honestly if he's as bad as the reports have suggested. I'd rather just get some picks or a positional player that could help us somewhere else.

This. If Hawk is sucking as an 3-4 ILB I'm not convinced he could start over Diles; and I seriously doubt he could start at the SAM spot and allow Cush to move down to DE on occasion.

As for Salton, I'd take a 6th round pick for him and count myself lucky.

Goatcheese
09-29-2010, 12:44 PM
They would have to make a really nice offer to get me to part with Slaton. He's still recovering from a serious injury and is better than I thought he would be. The more work he gets the more confidence he's going to build and the better he's going to be.

eriadoc
09-29-2010, 12:50 PM
SELL, SELL, SELL!!

Oh, I already said that. For once, I'd like to be on the Raider end of the Buchanon trade.

Also, LOL@ all the different misspellings of Slaton's name.

The1ApplePie
09-29-2010, 12:52 PM
This. If Hawk is sucking as an 3-4 ILB I'm not convinced he could start over Diles; and I seriously doubt he could start at the SAM spot and allow Cush to move down to DE on occasion.

As for Salton, I'd take a 6th round pick for him and count myself lucky.

I thought Hawk was a stud at WILL until they changed to the 3-4?

Errant Hothy
09-29-2010, 01:04 PM

He moved to the middle (in 2008) after tearing is knee up.

Maybe I'm wrong and he could handle the WILL spot here, but 3-4 ILBs need to be able to cover about as much as a 4-2 WILL so maybe not.

I wouldn't be totally against a Slaton for Hawk swap.

HOU-TEX
09-29-2010, 01:14 PM
*Sigh* No love for muh boy Diles again?

I've made it known that I was for trading back in 06 and drafting Hawk. But, if y'all think Diles has struggled in coverage this season, Hawk would drive y'all crazy. I still like Hawk, but I'd stick with Diles. He'll be coming off the field in nickel situations when Cush is back anyway.

LB's darn near the strongest position on our team as it stands now. Dline and DB's are what we need to be looking for

BigBull17
09-29-2010, 01:15 PM
A CB would be nice. Really nice. Don't know who they have though. I would do it for Kuhn.

Texecutioner
09-29-2010, 01:18 PM

Hawk doesn't even have a role on their team at this point, he's been so bad out there. I don't think that he would be an upgrade at all over anyone here.

Texecutioner
09-29-2010, 01:20 PM
A CB would be nice. Really nice. Don't know who they have though. I would do it for Kuhn.

GB won't be letting go of any of their CB's. They need them just as much as we do. Their secondary is almost as bad as ours is.

If anything, we could possibly get some help in the trenches from them on the D line perhaps. I doubt they would part ways with any productive O lineman, because they have a shaky O line as it is.

Draft picks would probably be the best thing to try and get from them.

BigBull17
09-29-2010, 01:21 PM
GB won't be letting go of any of their CB's. They need them just as much as we do. Their secondary is almost as bad as ours is.

If anything, we could possibly get some help in the trenches from them on the D line perhaps. I doubt they would part ways with any productive O lineman, because they have a shaky O line as it is.

Draft picks would probably be the best thing to try and get from them.

I don't know their roster. Maybe a guy who playes 3-4 OLB. I think we want a flexable guy.

NitroGSXR
09-29-2010, 01:23 PM
They have Charles Woodson.

Funny story, we bumped into him at a hotel here in Houston two days before he signed with Green Bay. I eagarly asked him who he was going to sign with hopingit was Houston. He confirmed several times that it was Tampa Bay. I looked like an ass to all my friends.

Jerk.

Seriously, he was very nice. We talked for about five minutes. I guess he was still playing the free agent card.

HOU-TEX
09-29-2010, 01:31 PM
Hawk doesn't even have a role on their team at this point, he's been so bad out there. I don't think that he would be an upgrade at all over anyone here.

He has started 2 of their 3 games this season.

badboy
09-29-2010, 01:40 PM

I don't know if Hawk would be that much of help to us honestly if he's as bad as the reports have suggested. I'd rather just get some picks or a positional player that could help us somewhere else.Thanks for info as I never watch GB. I think AJ Hawk is playing out of position in 3-4, would he do better in our system? He does not have to beat out Diles to be helpful as Slaton is a back up also. If Hawk could beat out Adibi, it would be a good deal imo.

Texecutioner
09-29-2010, 01:44 PM
He has started 2 of their 3 games this season.

Yeah, but how much did he play? All of the reports going into the season suggested that he was playing awful for them and they were on the verge of releasing him he was so bad.

"The agent for Packers ILB AJ Hawk told the Green Bay Press-Gazette that his client would be open to a trade.
"If some team called and wanted him to play on all three downs, I think hed be excited about that," said agent Mike McCartney. McCartney did say Hawk's "first priority is to be the best Packer he can," but Hawk didn't even play a non-special teams snap in the opener. The Bills did just lose ILB Paul Posluszny, and Green Bay needs a running back. Unfortunately, Hawk's massive base salaries make a straight-up trade for Marshawn Lynch impossible.

"The Packers didn't play a single snap with their base defense in Sunday's Week 1 win over Philadelphia.
ILB AJ Hawk doesn't play in the nickel or dime defenses, so he was relegated strictly to special teams. Clay Matthews, in a dominant effort, led Green Bay with seven tackles while chipping in two sacks and a forced fumble. Don't count on Hawk in IDP leagues this year; he's not going to play much.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3629

HOU-TEX
09-29-2010, 01:48 PM
Yeah, but how much did he play? All of the reports going into the season suggested that he was playing awful for them and they were on the verge of releasing him he was so bad.

"The agent for Packers ILB AJ Hawk told the Green Bay Press-Gazette that his client would be open to a trade.
"If some team called and wanted him to play on all three downs, I think hed be excited about that," said agent Mike McCartney. McCartney did say Hawk's "first priority is to be the best Packer he can," but Hawk didn't even play a non-special teams snap in the opener. The Bills did just lose ILB Paul Posluszny, and Green Bay needs a running back. Unfortunately, Hawk's massive base salaries make a straight-up trade for Marshawn Lynch impossible.

"The Packers didn't play a single snap with their base defense in Sunday's Week 1 win over Philadelphia.
ILB AJ Hawk doesn't play in the nickel or dime defenses, so he was relegated strictly to special teams. Clay Matthews, in a dominant effort, led Green Bay with seven tackles while chipping in two sacks and a forced fumble. Don't count on Hawk in IDP leagues this year; he's not going to play much.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3629

Yeah, I've seen all that a while back. I was just pointing out that he has started the past two games. He might not be their long-term answer, but he has been playing a decent role on their defense

Grams
09-29-2010, 02:08 PM
Hawk had 5 tackles in Monday's night game. He actually played pretty good. He had 2 more tackles than Matthews.

Texecutioner
09-29-2010, 02:11 PM
Hawk had 5 tackles in Monday's night game. He actually played pretty good. He had 2 more tackles than Matthews.

I don't think that Mathews will be a real high # tackles guy though, because they blitz him so much.

False Start
09-29-2010, 02:57 PM
Also, LOL@ all the different misspellings of Slaton's name.

Steve Sleighton you mean? ;)

badboy
09-29-2010, 03:16 PM

As for Salton, I'd take a 6th round pick for him and count myself lucky.So you expect to trade a back up RB with fumbling problems to get a starting LB? Hawk would not have to be a starter to make that trade.

infantrycak
09-29-2010, 03:23 PM
From rotoworld:

2010: $4,123,750 (+ $500,000 workout bonus), 2011: $10 million, 2012: Free Agent

It's not my money but no.

Errant Hothy
09-29-2010, 03:24 PM
So you expect to trade a back up RB with fumbling problems to get a starting LB? Hawk would not have to be a starter to make that trade.

Not really. As I said I'd be happy with a sixth. Now if the Pack is looking to move Hawk, and there are rumors to this, I'd listen to an offer involving Hawk but I seriously doubt any deal like that would go down. And after seeing Hawk's contract there is no way Smith would even consider dealing for him.

badboy
09-29-2010, 04:32 PM
Not really. As I said I'd be happy with a sixth. Now if the Pack is looking to move Hawk, and there are rumors to this, I'd listen to an offer involving Hawk but I seriously doubt any deal like that would go down. And after seeing Hawk's contract there is no way Smith would even consider dealing for him.Yeah that Ten Million hit stops every discussion imo.

Texecutioner
09-29-2010, 04:34 PM
from rotoworld:

Hell to the NOOOOOO!!

Rey
09-29-2010, 04:46 PM
Hawk would not come in and start over Diles. He has not been anything special since going to GB.

I think he had a decent rookie season, but after that he kind of fell off...

Zach Diles is a much better player than him at this point.

Add that to the fact that his contract is ridiculous and I just don't see that trade happening...

gary
09-29-2010, 06:11 PM
Woodson is one of the leaders on the Green Bay D I really do not think he is going anywhere unless a great offer pops up.

Corrosion
09-29-2010, 07:50 PM
I wonder what they would give in return for Slaton.

If the compensation is enough I'd move him now before he fumbles or botches another kickoff return.

Buy low sell high.

Rey
09-29-2010, 07:52 PM
Slaton is kinda valuable to us right now.

Brisco_County
09-29-2010, 08:20 PM
I honestly think the main reason Slaton is returning kicks right now is to inflate his value.

And GB is going to have to eat Hawk's contract before any team considers him. But that could also happen in an uncapped year.

Thorn
09-29-2010, 08:56 PM
If, and it's a big IF, Tate comes back and is good, we don't actually need Slaton. But I've seen enough of injured RBs never being quite the same again. Slaton is a perfect example of that.

2slik4u
09-29-2010, 09:02 PM
I know this isnt the most popular opinion but I think I hate Slaton. I cringe every time he touches the ball. It is more of a surprise every time he DOESNT cough the ball up as opposed to the other way around.

Now that I have seen what a good RB can do (Arian), I want Slaton gone from this team quick like.

Sorry, I know its harsh but it had to be said.

And YES, I do remember when he put up 1200 yards just a couple of years ago but that fades quick when you erase that memory with multiple fumbles.

:roast:

Texan_Bill
09-29-2010, 09:07 PM
From rotoworld:

Wait, what? Fiscal responsibility? Really? Don't you think we should've dropped $10 mill. on Dunta, $6 or so mill. on an outta shape D-lineman and you don't wanna spend another 5 + $10 mill., next year, on a mediocre LB?????

WTH is wrong with you CAK?? Sheesh!

Rey
09-29-2010, 09:08 PM
I know this isnt the most popular opinion but I think I hate Slaton.

LMAO!!!!!

:roflcopter:

Corrosion
09-30-2010, 08:41 AM
I honestly think the main reason Slaton is returning kicks right now is to inflate his value.

He's returning kickoff's to inflate his value ? ..... I might agree with that if he didnt make boneheaded mistakes or muff the catch then come out of the endzone anyway .... seems like he makes a mistake like that once a game.

Dutchrudder
09-30-2010, 11:01 AM
So at one of my FF drafts this year, this guy who seems possibly retarded or constantly high, wanted to draft 'Steve Slay-ton' in the 8th round. So he gets him, another round goes by and it's his pick.

He says, 'I want Steve Slat-in'.
We're all like, 'he's taken, you already drafted him'.
He responds, 'No I drafted Steve Slay-ton, I want Steve Slat-in'.
The guy sitting next to him thought he was joking and said, 'c'mon man, just draft someone'.
But no, he kept insisting that he wanted 'Steve Slat-in' until we explained to him that no, the Texans do not have two RBs named "Steve Slay-ton/Slat-in".

I don't understand what is so hard to understand about the name Steve Slaton. It doesn't make any damn sense at all...

stingray
09-30-2010, 11:05 AM
So at one of my FF drafts this year, this guy who seems possibly retarded or constantly high, wanted to draft 'Steve Slay-ton' in the 8th round. So he gets him, another round goes by and it's his pick.

The guy sitting next to him thought he was joking and said, 'c'mon man, just draft someone'.
But no, he kept insisting that he wanted 'Steve Slat-in' until we explained to him that no, the Texans do not have two RBs named "Steve Slay-ton/Slat-in".

I don't understand what is so hard to understand about the name Steve Slaton. It doesn't make any damn sense at all...

You guys should have gave him both players and then he could have said, "championship."

GP
09-30-2010, 11:13 AM

My post is going to invariably offend a few people on here. I do not necessarily intend to make uniquely-named people out to be a burden on society, OK? So I don't need anybody reading this and getting butt hurt over it. I think I have a valid point, so understand the crux of the opinion and not the minor details of it.

I think I know the reason. They have a disease called G.U.N.S.

Cameron
Camryn
Camrin
Camrun
Kameron
Kamryn
Kamrin
Kamrun

What we have, IMHO, is a whole generation of parents who had named their kid a normal name (Such as Cameron) yet chose to get cute and creative on the day of the birth and said "Her name is going to be Kamryn...you know, like Cameron, but spelled in a unique way."

When the wife was pregnant with our first daughter, we decided TOGETHER that we would name our kids with normally-spelled names. There was no sense in naming her so uniquely that the poor girl would spend the rest of her life having to sound out, letter by letter, her name when she makes orders or appointments over the telephone. Or even in person!

So I think people say the word "Slaton," and they got Generation Unique Name Syndrome on their brain. "Oh, I know that guy. Steve Sleighton." Or..."Yeah, I just picked up Steve Slayton in my league!"

They got a bad case of the G.U.N.S.

Generation Unique Name Syndrome.

Remember the good old days, when Sam was spelled Sam and not Psam?

eriadoc
09-30-2010, 02:03 PM
It's a last name, though. No one starts fiddling with the spelling of their last name. I just think they're the same people who can't get it through their head that there's only ONE Kevin Walter. Not Walters. It's not like the parents got creative and decided to make him Kevin Waulther or something.

Along the lines of what you're saying, though ... I think some of the parents in question were just illiterate and didn't know how to spell Dante, or even come close phonetically.

nero THE zero
09-30-2010, 02:17 PM
It's a last name, though. No one starts fiddling with the spelling of their last name. I just think they're the same people who can't get it through their head that there's only ONE Kevin Walter. Not Walters. It's not like the parents got creative and decided to make him Kevin Waulther or something.

Along the lines of what you're saying, though ... I think some of the parents in question were just illiterate and didn't know how to spell Dante, or even come close phonetically.

Agreed. It's more likely that it's the crowd who doesn't know the difference between their, they're, and there as opposed to the crowd who doesn't know the difference between Dante, Donte, or Daunte.

badboy
09-30-2010, 02:20 PM
And there are some people that just don't care and spell how they think it is. I can never remember anyone's name unless she is single and real cute. Most of the time regardless of how Slaton is spelled, I can figure out the poster is talking about our running back since no one else on team has a similar name.

infantrycak
09-30-2010, 03:08 PM
My post is going to invariably offend a few people on here. I do not necessarily intend to make uniquely-named people out to be a burden on society, OK? So I don't need anybody reading this and getting butt hurt over it. I think I have a valid point, so understand the crux of the opinion and not the minor details of it.

I think I know the reason. They have a disease called G.U.N.S.

As others have pointed out this doesn't really apply here since the last name is involved.

I will agree with your overall point and add some of the kids need to punch their parents. I have a last name with one S which normally has two Ss so I have spent my entire life correcting people. You can tell them over and over and they will still jack it up. Parents don't understand what a pain they are causing kids because they want to be cute with spelling. Obviously my parents didn't pick the last name thing either - most likely an Ellis Island transformation.

GP
09-30-2010, 03:17 PM
As others have pointed out this doesn't really apply here since the last name is involved.

I will agree with your overall point and add some of the kids need to punch their parents. I have a last name with one S which normally has two Ss so I have spent my entire life correcting people. You can tell them over and over and they will still jack it up. Parents don't understand what a pain they are causing kids because they want to be cute with spelling. Obviously my parents didn't pick the last name thing either - most likely an Ellis Island transformation.

In regards to whether it's first name or last name, I still think there's some phonetic hijinks going on. Slaton and Slayton and Sleighton all have the same "A" sound...but all three ways are phonetically going to be an option.

My last name is also spelled different form its usual German spelling, so I, too, have to spell it out over the phone and it takes forever.

What I wouldn't give for a Johnson. As a last name, you pervs.

infantrycak
09-30-2010, 07:31 PM
[QUOTE=GP;1536893My last name is also spelled different form its usual German spelling, so I, too, have to spell it out over the phone and it takes forever.[/QUOTE]

Same boat - I have German names on both sides of my family.

ArlingtonTexan
09-30-2010, 09:26 PM
Same boat - I have German names on both sides of my family.

What's funny is the slight differences even influence those of us who have the most common spelling. My last name is spelled the most common way, but because there are 6 ro 7 variations I still wind up either having the person confirm that I am "normal" or just spelling it anyway.

JB
09-30-2010, 09:29 PM
What's funny is the slight differences even influence those of us who have themost common spelling. My last name is spelled the most common way, but because there are 6 ro 7 variations I still wind either having the person confirm that I am "normal" or just spelling it anyway.

Hell, my last name is normal with no known variations, and I still have to spell it out for way too many people. How hard is it to spell Williams?

eriadoc
09-30-2010, 09:33 PM
Hell, my last name is normal with no known variations, and I still have to spell it out for way too many people. How hard is it to spell Williams?

I don't know, man. I would think Wylyums would be easy to spell.

My name has a vowel followed by a double consonant. So I always know who missed grade school grammar when they pronounce the vowel in the long form.

JB
09-30-2010, 09:36 PM
I don't know, man. I would think Wylyums would be easy to spell.

My name has a vowel followed by a double consonant. So I always know who missed grade school grammar when they pronounce the vowel in the long form.

:lol: The bolded might be how somone would pronounce it after seeing( not gonna call it reading), but if I pronounce it, so many people want to spell it "Wilums"...

ledzeppelin229
09-30-2010, 09:56 PM

I do the same thing too often for Nelson. I don't really get it.

I also (along with my sister, brother and dad) have the curse of being called by my middle name my entire life. So everytime someone sees my ID or name on an official list, they call me "Steven" or try to get cute and go straight to "Steve" which is what my dad goes by (I don't blame him for dropping his first name - Harold). Sometimes I'll just stop correcting until they hear other people call me Andrew long enough to get it through their heads.

I don't really get how or why my parents made that decision.

JB
09-30-2010, 10:03 PM
I do the same thing too often for Nelson. I don't really get it.

I also (along with my sister, brother and dad) have the curse of being called by my middle name my entire life. So everytime someone sees my ID or name on an official list, they call me "Steven" or try to get cute and go straight to "Steve" which is what my dad goes by (I don't blame him for dropping his first name - Harold). Sometimes I'll just stop correcting until they hear other people call me Andrew long enough to get it through their heads.

I don't really get how or why my parents made that decision.

Dude, I wish being called "Steve", "Stephen", "Andrew", or "Andy" is a problem I wish I would have had as a kid. I also go by my middle name. I refuse to divulge my first name, but l can tell you that I was often called by a girls name the first day of school every year until I graduated HS.

eriadoc
09-30-2010, 10:05 PM
Dude, I wish being called "Steve", "Stephen", "Andrew", or "Andy" is a problem I wish I would have had as a kid. I also go by my middle name. I refuse to divulge my first name, but l can tell you that I was often called by a girls name the first day of school every year until I graduated HS.

A Boy Named Sue?

JB
09-30-2010, 10:09 PM
A Boy Named Sue?

If my name was Sue, it would have been a lot easier...

Norg
09-30-2010, 11:20 PM
Trade him for a FS/SS or CB and then we can talk lets not forget we are going to have Ben Tate Next year

GNTLEWOLF
09-30-2010, 11:27 PM
I had to get in on this conversation....I got into more fights in grade school when someone would ask my name and I would have to reply,"Dana" then they would say"That's a girl's name." I would say, "Go home and tell yer momma you got your a@@ kicked by a girl."

Mailman
11-03-2010, 11:45 AM
I'd trade Slayton for Tramon Williams.

Bumping this thread to let everyone know that Tramon Williams has blown up for the Packers defense and has 3 INTs, 1 FF, and 10 passes defended in the first eight games for Green Bay. The Packers are trying to lock him up to a long-term deal as he's emerged as one of the best CBs in the NFL this year.

Yes, the same Tramon Williams the Texans signed as an undrafted free agent in 2006, only for Kubiak to cut him in the final round of moves that preseason.

OUCH.

El Tejano
11-03-2010, 12:04 PM
Bumping this thread to let everyone know that Tramon Williams has blown up for the Packers defense and has 3 INTs, 1 FF, and 10 passes defended in the first eight games for Green Bay. The Packers are trying to lock him up to a long-term deal as he's emerged as one of the best CBs in the NFL this year.

Yes, the same Tramon Williams the Texans signed as an undrafted free agent in 2006, only for Kubiak to cut him in the final round of moves that preseason.

OUCH.

Unfortunately Mailman, as Koolaid Time said, the Packers were interested in Slayton and not Slaton so we couldn't get him back.

beerlover
11-03-2010, 12:44 PM

OUCH.

this also proves you don't have to use a first round pick to address CB with a quality player, you just have to have some clue what to look for :ant:

False Start
11-03-2010, 01:07 PM
When I bought my new phone awhile back, there was a young kid that asked me if James was spelled with an, S, or a Z...... REALLY!? :ok: :slap:

TheCD
11-03-2010, 03:01 PM
When I bought my new phone awhile back, there was a young kid that asked me if James was spelled with an, S, or a Z...... REALLY!? :ok: :slap:

Honestly, I don't blame the kid. I drug test kids all the time and you wouldn't believe some of the names.

I met a kid yesterday with the first name of Mister.

Dutchrudder
11-03-2010, 03:02 PM
Honestly, I don't blame the kid. I drug test kids all the time and you wouldn't believe some of the names.

I met a kid yesterday with the first name of Mister.

There's a guy on the Panthers who's name is "Captain Munerland".

The Jets LT is named D'Brickashaw Ferguson. His mom wasn't even trying with that one...