PDA

View Full Version : 18 Game Season "A done deal"

toxictrix
09-27-2010, 08:32 PM
I think that the owners, and principally the commissioner, have decided that it's the way to go, and so the debate, such as it was, is over," Polian said. "I've heard recently, and I'm sorry that this didn't get more coverage earlier, some really, really interesting commentary on it. ... I wish some of that dialogue had taken place earlier.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5623441

Bill Polian says its a done deal. I personally don't like it. Discuss?

imatexan
09-27-2010, 08:37 PM
Less meaningless preseason games and two more football games that count=me enjoying more football.

I like it.

Hagar
09-27-2010, 09:04 PM
The question to me is "At what cost?" Currently, preseason and regular season tickets cost the same. In order to do this, I've heard talk about adding players to the roster and possible creating an instructional league. All this stuff costs money so how much is the NFL going to gouge me?

gtexan02
09-27-2010, 09:06 PM
More football is always betters, especially since the Texans always seem to reach their stride toward the end of the season. 2 extra games last year puts us in the playoffs.

Sure records will suffer and players will complain. The quality of football for each game will probably drop a little. But we surived going from 14 to 16, and we'll surive 16 to 18.

Having only 8 home games per year is simply depressing. For teams that get back to back homegames to open the season, thats a 4th of your football action for the year.

As a pure consumer, I find it appealing

gary
09-27-2010, 09:12 PM
as a fan I won't complain just let there be football in 2011.

mexican_texan
09-27-2010, 09:13 PM
The question to me is "At what cost?" Currently, preseason and regular season tickets cost the same. In order to do this, I've heard talk about adding players to the roster and possible creating an instructional league. All this stuff costs money so how much is the NFL going to gouge me?
An instructional league could potentially bring in a good amount of money, especially in markets that don't have a team. The jerseys, of course, would have to have sponsors on them.

mexican_texan
09-27-2010, 09:13 PM
as a fan I won't complain just let there be football in 2011.
I can't see players agreeing to this. There's such a larger risk for injury.

rmartin65
09-27-2010, 09:20 PM
An instructional league could potentially bring in a good amount of money, especially in markets that don't have a team. The jerseys, of course, would have to have sponsors on them.

This is what I want. Give smaller cities teams, maybe near the "home/parent" team (i.e. - Houston: San Antonio Green Bay: Milwaukee). Every other sport does it.

gary
09-27-2010, 09:24 PM
I can't see players agreeing to this. There's such a larger risk for injury.
You might be right but there are some good things more teams would have a shot at the playoffs.

PapaL
09-27-2010, 09:33 PM
Start the record books over. That's my biggest gripe. No asterisk, just start over.

Thorn
09-27-2010, 09:35 PM
It’s already a brutal game, and 16 regular season games is a long stretch for everyone to stay healthy. If they go to an 18 games season I hope like hell there are two bye weeks for the players.

TexansBull
09-27-2010, 09:35 PM
This is what I want. Give smaller cities teams, maybe near the "home/parent" team (i.e. - Houston: San Antonio Green Bay: Milwaukee). Every other sport does it.

Thats an interesting idea. I havent heard that. But can the Texans have Austin. San Antonio is infected with Cowboys fans.

TexanSam
09-27-2010, 09:42 PM
I don't like this. As a fan it sounds great but the risk of injury goes up even more with 18 games. It will just become a watered down product by the 17th and 18th game, not to mention the playoffs.

If/when they add 2 extra games then I would hope they add in two extra bye weeks to the season. Yes the season will go on longer but in order to minimize any risk of injuries by adding games I would think the players deserve more breaks in order to rest from the pounding they take.

gtexan02
09-27-2010, 10:01 PM
Start the record books over. That's my biggest gripe. No asterisk, just start over.

They didnt start them over the last time they expanded the regular season. Why now?

ChampionTexan
09-27-2010, 11:00 PM
They didnt start them over the last two times they expanded the regular season. Why now?

fify

TexCanada
09-27-2010, 11:14 PM
I don't like this. As a fan it sounds great but the risk of injury goes up even more with 18 games. It will just become a watered down product by the 17th and 18th game, not to mention the playoffs.

If/when they add 2 extra games then I would hope they add in two extra bye weeks to the season. Yes the season will go on longer but in order to minimize any risk of injuries by adding games I would think the players deserve more breaks in order to rest from the pounding they take.

I heard that they will be adding in at least one extra buy week to help keep the injuries down.

I love the idea of 3 extra weeks of football, but I am a little scared of the extra injuries.

I'm a big CFL fan, being that I live in Canada, and we have an 18 season here that works fine. We use a 9 game injured reserve system, so the injured player can still come back during the year. The CFL isn't quite as violent as the NFL though.

mattieuk
09-27-2010, 11:25 PM
I heard that they will be adding in at least one extra buy week to help keep the injuries down.

I love the idea of 3 extra weeks of football, but I am a little scared of the extra injuries.

I'm a big CFL fan, being that I live in Canada, and we have an 18 season here that works fine. We use a 9 game injured reserve system, so the injured player can still come back during the year. The CFL isn't quite as violent as the NFL though.

Yeah, I'd agree there isn't the focus on violence in the CFL that there is in the NFL...far less 'big hits'.

I don't like the idea of an 18 game season. Its all money, and I think that player safety is a huge concern. Players retiring with life long injuries are high enough as it is. I just don't see why there should be an extra 2 games.

The preseason games are not as intense, and feature less playing time for starters as well, so the 'there will be the same amount of games' argument doesn't trade it off for me.

I know that football is a violent and intense game, but I just don't see why there is a need for an extra two games per team, other than to line the pockets of the upper echelons even more.

Hervoyel
09-27-2010, 11:45 PM
I don't like it. I think it's a mistake and I think that we'll see shorter careers as a result of it.

Owners greed is forcing this to become a reality. I haven't seen any fans asking for it. I haven't heard any players talking about what a good idea it is. Just owners wanting to find a way to charge people more for their product.

Hookem Horns
09-28-2010, 12:13 AM
They should just eliminate 2 preseason games instead of adding 2 more regular season games.

GP
09-28-2010, 01:26 AM
Two more games = two more shots at revenue. Advertising revenue, concession revenue, ticket sales, merchandise kiosk sales at the games, parking lot sales, etc.

No wonder McNair was a huge proponent of it. LOL.

Players will need to have more money, too.

What a dumb idea, IMO. It's stuff like this that makes you wonder sometimes. Commissioners of leagues either know how to let the league function as it should, and others come along and try to perform experiments on its inner workings.

This is like Trump and the USFL. All over again. Trying to be bigger than the game itself, IMO. I think it's a horrible idea. 16 games is grueling already. Two more? Jiminy Christmas. What good is two extra games to the fans if it means higher fatigue and more potential for injuries?

I have a feeling there will be a league-wide consensus among players on every team that they DOG IT during the last two games. Unless there's a team or three who is fighting for a playoff spot. All the rest will undoubtedly be DOGGING IT those last two games. And who will tune in to see those two regular season games at the end of the season that actually resemble the final/4th preseason game where only the backups play?

Ole Miss Texan
09-28-2010, 08:38 AM
I wonder how players' salaries are going to play into this. Often times there are large parts that are incentive laden. Whenever the "18 game season" goes into account, players under contract have an extra 2 games to reach those incentives.

Dutchrudder
09-28-2010, 08:46 AM
I don't like it. I think it's a mistake and I think that we'll see shorter careers as a result of it.

Owners greed is forcing this to become a reality. I haven't seen any fans asking for it. I haven't heard any players talking about what a good idea it is. Just owners wanting to find a way to charge people more for their product.

Why would this reduce anyone's career? Teams that consistently make the playoffs play at least one extra game every year, and probably more for the elite teams like the Pats, Colts, Eagles, Steelers, etc...

I seriously doubt this will make that big of a difference. My biggest problem is that you will see 11 win teams tanking the last 3 or 4 weeks of games because they are a lock for the playoffs. It's going to make the last couple weeks even more meaningless for those teams and only hurts potential wild card teams.

Thorn
09-28-2010, 08:59 AM
There is just no way the players will approve a 18 game season without extra bye weeks. I can't possibly see that happening. My feeling is get ready for the scrubs to play next year.

SheTexan
09-28-2010, 09:06 AM
I cannot afford it!! That's all I've got to say. I will either have to sell some of my PSLs and my family will have to stay at home, or I'll sell them all and stay at home with them.

These greedy owners are forcing out the diehard fans, the one's who work two jobs, sacrifice vacations, save every penny they can just to pay for season tickets. Football is my entertainment, something I enjoy with my kids and grandkids. If I can't do that, then I'll just put my money on that cruise to Alaska I've been wanting to take. Wonder if they'll put one of their little "minor" teams in Alaska? :sarcasm:

badboy
09-28-2010, 09:19 AM
I want to know what the players union recieved in return. Also, what the roster will be expanded to and verification of the 2nd bye week which I like. Here is where the union can push more for better retirement benefits such as health insurance.

kastofsna
09-28-2010, 09:25 AM
it's all about money, nothing else matters, the game will be worse as a result of this, goodell and the owners can't even pretend they care about the players or the game itself anymore

disaacks3
09-28-2010, 09:29 AM
I can't see players agreeing to this. There's such a larger risk for injury. How? Take at look at the Texans...we lost guys in pre-season, and one in the first game. It doesn't take 18 games to get injured.

If/when they add 2 extra games then I would hope they add in two extra bye weeks to the season. Yes the season will go on longer but in order to minimize any risk of injuries by adding games I would think the players deserve more breaks in order to rest from the pounding they take. Extra rest is OK, but the risk of injury doesn't rise any appreciable percentage.

Owners greed is forcing this to become a reality. I haven't seen any fans asking for it. I haven't heard any players talking about what a good idea it is. Just owners wanting to find a way to charge people more for their product. Here's a fan that's asked for it. If I'm paying full price, then give me a full effort at winning a game that counts. Prices keep rising with a 16-game schedule, so what's gonna change?

They should just eliminate 2 preseason games instead of adding 2 more regular season games. I could see that, but then I'd still end up paying more for less. there's ZERO chance that tickets prices are going down.

Why would this reduce anyone's career? Teams that consistently make the playoffs play at least one extra game every year, and probably more for the elite teams like the Pats, Colts, Eagles, Steelers, etc...

I seriously doubt this will make that big of a difference. My biggest problem is that you will see 11 win teams tanking the last 3 or 4 weeks of games because they are a lock for the playoffs. It's going to make the last couple weeks even more meaningless for those teams and only hurts potential wild card teams. that's why the call for moving division games to the end of the season goes hand-in-hand with this. It makes it that much harder to start tanking.

I cannot afford it!! That's all I've got to say. I will either have to sell some of my PSLs and my family will have to stay at home, or I'll sell them all and stay at home with them.

These greedy owners are forcing out the diehard fans, the one's who work two jobs, sacrifice vacations, save every penny they can just to pay for season tickets. Football is my entertainment, something I enjoy with my kids and grandkids. If I can't do that, then I'll just put my money on that cruise to Alaska I've been wanting to take. Wonder if they'll put one of their little "minor" teams in Alaska? :sarcasm: Why would the price go up any more than it already does? I know your pre-season tickets have the same price printed as the regular season ones do (as do mine). Other than one more home game that "counts", what will change?

Stemp
09-28-2010, 09:52 AM
The only way the players will agree is if they are compensated. The owners already want to reduce the percentage of money the players are getting. This could turn into something ugly where the fans are left without any football.

Brando
09-28-2010, 10:55 AM
Did the players complain about adding 2 more games in 1978? Back then the NFL only had 14 regular season games. The game was more physical back then compared to how it is now. There are more rules in place to protect the players especially the QB's. I personally would love to have a 18 game regular season but I do understand the players side. Here was Howie Long's take on the 18 game season on Sunday's Fired Up. (http://msn.foxsports.com/video/shows/nfl-on-fox?vid=22c21d41-335b-44b9-a729-e2b55f7238c0)

ChampionTexan
09-28-2010, 11:04 AM
The only way the players will agree is if they are compensated. The owners already want to reduce the percentage of money the players are getting. This could turn into something ugly where the fans are left without any football.

Well, if the ultimate agreement they reach continues to have a salary cap and floor that are determined by percentages of revenue, then by definition, they'll be compensated. The biggest increase in revenue from an 18 game season will be TV dollars, and the players share in those (again - if the new agreement is similar in that regard).

Granted, the owners are attempting to lower the percentage, but even if they're successful, that's a separate issue. As a matter of fact, the extra money brought in via an 18 game schedule (and the resulting larger revenue pie for the players to share in) may be the exact thing that entices the players union to go along with the two extra games.

SheTexan
09-28-2010, 11:19 AM
Other than one more home game that "counts", what will change?

I'll have to pony up approx $420 more a year. My tickets already run me close to 4800 bucks per year, including my parking pass. I don't have a second income Dan, and nurses simply do not make a ton of money. I'll simply have to make some difficult decisions if this comes about. Not gonna worry about it until it does.

Double Barrel
09-28-2010, 11:38 AM
More football is always betters, especially since the Texans always seem to reach their stride toward the end of the season. 2 extra games last year puts us in the playoffs.

Sure records will suffer and players will complain. The quality of football for each game will probably drop a little. But we surived going from 14 to 16, and we'll surive 16 to 18.

Having only 8 home games per year is simply depressing. For teams that get back to back homegames to open the season, thats a 4th of your football action for the year.

As a pure consumer, I find it appealing

Don't be surprised if the extra games are exported.

HTown2ATX
09-28-2010, 11:45 AM
Thats an interesting idea. I havent heard that. But can the Texans have Austin. San Antonio is infected with Cowboys fans.

Infected with Titan fans due to VY...trust me...it's crazy, just look at any of the threads in Tailgate that deal with the ongoing BS that is KEYE CBS here sometimes not carrying the Texans for the Titans. What is worse is they not only like the Titans because of Rudy, they HATE the Texans for not taking him and their typical dribble about how Houston as a city sucks, yada, yada, yada....

beerlover
09-28-2010, 11:49 AM
exported or canceled, hence lockout. players & union need to stand up to GODell otherwise we're all just another brick in the wall :devilpig:

disaacks3
09-28-2010, 11:50 AM
I'll have to pony up approx $420 more a year. My tickets already run me close to 4800 bucks per year, including my parking pass. I don't have a second income Dan, and nurses simply do not make a ton of money. I'll simply have to make some difficult decisions if this comes about. Not gonna worry about it until it does. How will it cost more??? Those pre-season games prices are the SAME as the Regular Season right now. The only thing that changes is whether it counts or not, the ticket price is a constant.

In my case:
Current - 10 games @$70 per (2 Pre-season, 8 Reg Season)
Future - 10 games @$70 per (1 Pre-season, 9 Reg Season)

drs23
09-28-2010, 01:51 PM
How will it cost more??? Those pre-season games prices are the SAME as the Regular Season right now. The only thing that changes is whether it counts or not, the ticket price is a constant.

In my case:

Thanks. That's kinda the way I was looking at it but since I'm not a season ticket holder I thought there might be something I was missing. Guess not.

The1ApplePie
09-28-2010, 02:31 PM
Sucks for guys trying to make teams in the offseason/camp.

Goodel is either pushing the game to new heights or is killing it. I can't tell anymore

ChampionTexan
09-28-2010, 02:42 PM
Sucks for guys trying to make teams in the offseason/camp.

Goodel is either pushing the game to new heights or is killing it. I can't tell anymore

I don't believe it will:

1. Hopefully roster size will increase

2. Hopefully Practice squad size will increase

3. If they relax the IR rules, that could increase roster movement and give some guys an opportunity they otherwise wouldn't have had

4. If the expanded schedule does indeed shorten the length of careers, then there will be more retirements (voluntary or otherwise), and more roster spots available every year. (Sounds morbid, and I'm not saying it's true, but lots of folks believe it).

rmartin65
09-28-2010, 03:04 PM

I had actually (a couple years back) gone through the teams and wrote good cities for each franchise. Unfortunately, I lost the file (accidentally deleted it). I skipped Austin because I tried to avoid major college towns.

I like this idea because the vast majority of people who would go to these minor league games are people who are vested in the "parent" team.

Actually, if I have the time, I will see if I can create that list again in a week, see what people think.

CloakNNNdagger
09-28-2010, 03:23 PM
Fox News announced that from the meeting, the owners are toying with getting rookies and free agents "experience" and "exposure to sell their wares" by setting up special scrimmages between teams (made up of such players) that are in proximity...........such as Houston and Dallas, San Francisco and San Diego, Washington and New York, etc.

SheTexan
09-29-2010, 06:35 AM
How will it cost more??? Those pre-season games prices are the SAME as the Regular Season right now. The only thing that changes is whether it counts or not, the ticket price is a constant.

In my case:

I was under the impression they were going to leave the preseason as is and add two more games to the reg season. I guess I need to pay more attention.

Señor Stan
09-29-2010, 06:42 AM
I was under the impression they were going to leave the preseason as is and add two more games to the reg season. I guess I need to pay more attention.

If they actually export the extra regular season game like DB mentioned you would pay for 1 preseason and 8 regular season games. Your costs would actually go down by one game. Of course you would have one less preseason game to go to...