PDA

View Full Version : Play Action?

redwhiteANDblue
09-27-2010, 04:56 PM
What happened to the play action? I haven't been seeing those long bombs this season. Last year we got off a good start with the play action against the Tacks and stayed that way the entire season. That was all with one of the worst rushing offenses in the league. This year we have a huge threat in Arian Foster yet we still haven't been fooling defenses with the long passes. Matt schaub also hasn't been using it well. He's throwing picks on the Play Action plays. In the colts game he threw one intended for Andre and threw one in the redskins game intended for Owen daniels if I'm correct. And if he isn't throwing picks he's just throwing short, dinky passes. Maybe the wr aren't running fast enough? Or maybe dennison isn't a good play caller and calling then at the wrong times?

JB
09-27-2010, 05:03 PM
Or maybe having a qb coach is causing him to think too much.

DexmanC
09-27-2010, 05:05 PM
It seems to me, the Texans STILL only run the ball when their backs
are against the wall on down-and-distance. The run game, according
to how the Texans calls plays, is still a "compliment" to the offense. They
come out throwing, and seem to run only once the defense decides to
tee off on the pass. Another thing I noticed yesterday, the Texans seemed
almost scared to run the naked bootleg against that Dallas front seven.

No matter how well Arian Foster runs, the playcallers still have that tendency
to "out cute" themselves.

TimeKiller
09-27-2010, 05:09 PM
Any sort of misdirection they tried was eaten alive. You really want to put Schaub out on a pedestal with D Ware not buying anything?

Double Barrel
09-27-2010, 05:12 PM
Or maybe having a qb coach is causing him to think too much.

It crossed our minds on several occasions during yesterday's game that maybe they were over-thinking things for calling plays.

Maybe the players and coaches were tight or mentally exhausted after the first two games? Whatever it was, I hope they work it out this week. It would be much sadder to see them come out flat against the Raiders for a second week.

gtexan02
09-27-2010, 05:14 PM
We had one long bomb, but then AJs ankle gave out on him and he was 10 yards behind the ball.

I think injuries (AJs ankle) and suspensions (D Brown) are hurting our playcalling

DexmanC
09-27-2010, 05:15 PM
Any sort of misdirection they tried was eaten alive. You really want to put Schaub out on a pedestal with D Ware not buying anything?

The defense didn't bite on misdirection, because the Texans simply didn't
run the ball. Yes, Foster got 100 yards, but most of 'em came during
GOBBAGE TIME. The playcallers need to establish the run from the
outset. You have a good back, use him to free up your passing game.

Yankee_In_TX
09-27-2010, 05:25 PM
It crossed our minds on several occasions during yesterday's game that maybe they were over-thinking things for calling plays.

Maybe the players and coaches were tight or mentally exhausted after the first two games? Whatever it was, I hope they work it out this week. It would be much sadder to see them come out flat against the Raiders for a second week.

I went off on Kubiak during our failed goal line stand. My wife did not approve.

He was pacing the sideline, with his back to the endzone we were in, by himself at about the 40 yard line, head BURRIED in that damned chart for a good 2 or 3 minutes straight.

Paraphrasing I said 'please sir, but the chart down and watch what is happening on the field and make decisions based on that.'

DexmanC
09-27-2010, 05:33 PM
I went off on Kubiak during our failed goal line stand. My wife did not approve.

He was pacing the sideline, with his back to the endzone we were in, by himself at about the 40 yard line, head BURRIED in that damned chart for a good 2 or 3 minutes straight.

Paraphrasing I said 'please sir, but the chart down and watch what is happening on the field and make decisions based on that.'

It looked like an exact replica of what happened in Arizona last year.
If this team doesn't take its head out of its ass, starting from THE TOP
(Kubiak), we'll be hearing about how this 9-7 team is a better 9-7 squad
than from last year.

alphajoker
09-27-2010, 06:20 PM

I don't know if it was because they were scared but that's one thing I thought was missing from the game plan yesterday - bootleg or naked bootlegs. They only ran one bootleg the whole game and it fooled the D to give Schaub time to throw. I'm not understanding why we don't run them as often this year.

hradhak
09-27-2010, 06:42 PM
I also wonder why they don't play action in the red zone. Dallas was keyed up on the o line, why not play action it to OD or Dreesen on an out ?

And what about looking for JJ deep on some plays? It doesn't stretch the defense much if you don't ever throw to him down field.

Jackie Chiles
09-27-2010, 06:54 PM
I haven't re-watched the game and I probably won't but I sure did notice a lot of shotgun. Maybe more than I have ever seen this coaching staff run. Not sure if we were trying to take advantage of something they saw on film or they were wary of the pass rush but I would have liked to see us stick to the I formation and pound it/play action a little more. The shotgun was pretty much letting them tee off on Schaub, I believe we only ran the ball once, maybe twice out of that formation.

I bet Gary knows Foster is the only back we have that's worth a darn and we can't be running him into the ground so early in the season. Curse you Ben Tate's ankle!

Thorn
09-27-2010, 07:01 PM
It looked like an exact replica of what happened in Arizona last year.
If this team doesn't take its head out of its ass, starting from THE TOP
(Kubiak), we'll be hearing about how this 9-7 team is a better 9-7 squad
than from last year.

The Texans had better not pull that bullcrap this year. I expect a playoff berth and nothing short of that will do. The ONLY excuse for not making the playoffs this year is more injuries or player suspensions. This team has the talent to make the playoffs, and if Kubiak doesn't get them there, I'm going to be pissed.

thunderkyss
09-27-2010, 07:51 PM

Really? He was over 100 yards in the third Qtr, when we were down by 7.

RTP2110
09-27-2010, 08:37 PM
Speaking of play action,....I don't know if this showed up on TV, but it was real noticable in section 509. On the PA rollout pass to Daniels at the one yard line JJ was running a crossing route about 5 yards behing OD and had about 3 steps on his man in the end zone. That was a sure TD if he throws to JJ. I don't know if he missed him or if he couldn't make that throw on the run.

dtran04
09-27-2010, 08:38 PM
They ran a TON of playaction versus the Redskins. For the Dallas game, Kubiak said that the playaction would require the TE's to hold up against their LB's which would be tough. Seeing Dreesen trying to block Ware that one time was not pretty.

alphajoker
09-27-2010, 09:18 PM
Speaking of play action,....I don't know if this showed up on TV, but it was real noticable in section 509. On the PA rollout pass to Daniels at the one yard line JJ was running a crossing route about 5 yards behing OD and had about 3 steps on his man in the end zone. That was a sure TD if he throws to JJ. I don't know if he missed him or if he couldn't make that throw on the run.

That's the play I was talking about being the only bootleg of the game. He had both OD and JJ open and had plenty of time to throw.

I don't know if it was because they were scared but that's one thing I thought was missing from the game plan yesterday - bootleg or naked bootlegs. They only ran one bootleg the whole game and it fooled the D to give Schaub time to throw. I'm not understanding why we don't run them as often this year.

kiwitexansfan
09-28-2010, 01:24 AM

SOOOO much truth in this post.

I really feel despite all the Kubiak CoachSpeak about wanting to run the football, blah, blah, blah... what he really wants to do is THROW the ball and be the cleverestest man in the ballpark.

We were going at over 6 yards a carry at one stage and we were in the shotgun most of the time.

hradhak
09-28-2010, 07:32 AM
I agree that we often look for the 25+ yard play and don't run plays that have been working for us.

Arian is a playmaker, get him the ball and let him do his magic.

TimeKiller
09-28-2010, 08:38 AM

I disagree. I think the Cowboys were ultimately prepared for the nuance of this offense. They weren't fooled on anything, play action, screen, nothing. Practically looked like they had a man or two in the huddle with the Texans, like they knew EXACTLY what was coming. About the only thing that really gashed them was Foster cutting back and getting some yard work in.

Kaiser Toro
09-28-2010, 09:34 AM
Foster was the first RB to go over 100 yards against the Cowboys in 20 games. PA was set up nicely for the second half.

thunderkyss
09-28-2010, 10:47 PM
SOOOO much truth in this post.

I really feel despite all the Kubiak CoachSpeak about wanting to run the football, blah, blah, blah... what he really wants to do is THROW the ball and be the cleverestest man in the ballpark.

We were going at over 6 yards a carry at one stage and we were in the shotgun most of the time.

We started the third Qtr with 3 straight runs.

I don't have a problem calling out Kubiak for giving up on the run. Especially when it is clear that he did so too early, which he's done in the past.

We threw the ball 32 times. We ran 22 times. Considering we fell behind by 24-6 with more than 9 minutes to go in the 4th Qtr. Even then, the second play from scrimmage after the Cowboys scored the TD giving them that lead, was a run. It was the run in which AF fumbled the ball.

The Cowboys then run 6 minutes off the clock & kick a field goal to make the score 27-6. We are down by 3 touchdowns at this point, with less than 4 minutes left in the game.

We then run 11 pass plays, & one draw from that point.

Moral of the story is we didn't pull the plug on the run too early. We were also pretty balanced (21 runs, 21 passes until the 3:40 mark).

A little hint, DexmanC has an agenda. Double check everything he says before you agree with him. He's got a good football mind, but his agenda skews his vision to see only what he wants to see.

thunderkyss
09-28-2010, 10:48 PM
I agree that we often look for the 25+ yard play and don't run plays that have been working for us.

Arian is a playmaker, get him the ball and let him do his magic.

21 touches, 126 yards.

I think they know what they've got in Arian Foster.

DexmanC
09-28-2010, 10:50 PM
).

A little hint, DexmanC has an agenda. Double check everything he says before you agree with him. He's got a good football mind, but his agenda skews his vision to see only what he wants to see.

The Rosetta Stone to my agenda, is simply to look at my signature.
lol

RIP EXCUSES (2006-2009)
The First Twelve Games (Where Playoff Teams Are Made):
2007: (5-7) | 2008: (5-7) | 2009: (5-7) | 2010: (2-1)