PDA

View Full Version : 49ers Fire OC Raye

HOU-TEX
09-27-2010, 10:49 AM
The San Francisco 49ers have fired offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye, according to a league source.

Quarterbacks coach Mike Johnson will take over offensive coordinator duties, according to the source.

49ers coach Mike Singletary and Raye have not seen eye-to-eye about the reasons for the team's struggling offense, which appeared lost in a 31-10 defeat to the Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81ae1310/article/49ers-fire-embattled-offensive-coordinator-jimmy-raye?module=breaking_news

Showtime100
09-27-2010, 12:04 PM
Mike Singletary is one of my favorite people in the NFL but I'm not sure this will work out. I know that's easy to say right now, but I've always seen him more as a defensive coordinator anyway.

edo783
09-27-2010, 10:25 PM
Smells of being the sacrificial lamb. Easiest way to try and shake things up I guess.

Goatcheese
09-28-2010, 12:39 PM
Why is it that players get "released" and coaches get "fired"?

Same difference.

Showtime100
09-28-2010, 12:47 PM
Why is it that players get "released" and coaches get "fired"?

Same difference.

Because player have their "people" on the payroll. All coaches have is a son that wants to be a coach someday. :tease:

thunderkyss
09-28-2010, 01:34 PM
Mike Singletary is one of my favorite people in the NFL but I'm not sure this will work out. I know that's easy to say right now, but I've always seen him more as a defensive coordinator anyway.

Well being head coach means he is responsible for both sides of the ball.

After their game against Nawlins, I thought their offense was just fine... I did not see an OC change coming so soon after that game. I thought the 49ers were favorites to win their division, looks a little panicky to be division champs.

Rey
09-28-2010, 05:02 PM
On the network a little while ago they had some comments from Raye...

He said that he was brought in to run the head coaches philosophy. He said that he did not come in demanding to do things a certain way and was moreso carrying out the head coaches direction. He said that he did the best he could with the personnel he had to work with.

Basically, it's not looking good for Singeltary. He's going to have to hire someone that really knows offense because apparently that isn't his strong point. So shame in that...But trying to play a role you can't play will probably lead to trouble...

thunderkyss
09-28-2010, 10:48 PM
He said that he was brought in to run the head coaches philosophy. He said that he did not come in demanding to do things a certain way and was moreso carrying out the head coaches direction. He said that he did the best he could with the personnel he had to work with.

What could Singletary possibly have been asking him to do? Throw the ball? Crabtree, Davis?

Run it? Gore, Dixon?

Joe Staley, Iupati, DAvis...

What can he not do? If it's the QB, he had a chance to go with CArr, Davis & Troy Smith, he chose Alex....