PDA

View Full Version : Question about Def playcalling

Yankee_In_TX
09-27-2010, 11:02 AM
Coming from a guy who has never played football:

I watched Mario line up outside and most times the O-Line directed him out or back, away from the QB play or RB.

This frequently left a gaping hole, yet I never saw any LB's or safeties come up to blitz of stuff the run. And a few times that gaping hole was utilizied by Dallas' RBs.

Can someone explain why or what was going on?

Wolf6151
09-27-2010, 11:09 AM
Mario quite often goes after the QB so hard that he overruns the play and takes himself out of position to make a play on the running game. He's been doing this for several years but seems to be doing better about playing the run this year with the exception of yesterdays game. Mario played bad yesterday overpursuing the edge to get around the LT and taking himself out of plays and on other plays just flat out not pursuing the play, getting stood up at the LOS and not putting forth much effort. Mario flat out stunk it up yesterday, but so did the rest of the D-line.

gtexan02
09-27-2010, 11:15 AM
Coming from a guy who has never played football:

I watched Mario line up outside and most times the O-Line directed him out or back, away from the QB play or RB.

This frequently left a gaping hole, yet I never saw any LB's or safeties come up to blitz of stuff the run. And a few times that gaping hole was utilizied by Dallas' RBs.

Can someone explain why or what was going on?

I think we do this on obvious passing downs. Its a technique to disrupt the OL and prevent any chance for a double team. Unfortunately, when Dallas uses its draws and delayed handoffs, it exposes this as a big weakness

Jaytrajik
09-27-2010, 11:31 AM
Probably because the LBs are playing back in coverage trying to contain the short middle. It's not an attacking scheme but more so the "I don't want to give up the big play so i'll play soft & cautious and still give up the play anyway" scheme.

The Defense is hemorrhaging right now and it needs to be fixed.