PDA

View Full Version : Colts, Redskins, and Cowboys

gtexan02
09-26-2010, 10:31 PM
I continue to hear about the quality of the offenses we've faced, and how thats skewing our pass defense statistics.

The Colts are the Colts. They are superhuman. However, Peyton throwing for 400+ against a division rival is not the norm. That was partly due to bad defense.

The Redskins do not have an elite offense. McNabb has looked quite human against 2 of his three opponents. One of which was the Rams. The only team he looked superhuman against was us.

The Cowboys have been horrible on offense through the first 2 weeks. Against both the Bears and the 'Skins. The 'Skins obviously do not have a very good defense. They gave up 30 points to the Rams.

I think our pass defense is a real, serious issue. We can blame the opponents or we can look in the mirror. I hope Kubiak and Bush get this fixed

GuerillaBlack
09-26-2010, 10:34 PM
The Cowboys have actually moved the ball well all of this season. It's just that they stall when they get closer to the end zone.

JB
09-26-2010, 10:48 PM
While I agree that our pass defense has been sucking, didn't Manning throw like 50+ times? And wasn't McNabb's numbers up there as well? How many times did Romo throw today?

gtexan02
09-26-2010, 10:50 PM
While I agree that our pass defense has been sucking, didn't Manning throw like 50+ times? And wasn't McNabb's numbers up there as well? How many times did Romo throw today?

Manning and McNabb both had a lot of pass attempts. McNabb was only at 38 though (still a lot).

Pass attempts only tell part of the story, however. We knew Manning would be passing if he was coming from behind. We still couldn't stop him.

McNabb threw the ball because he could. They gameplanned to throw

Romos passer rating was 127+
McNabb was 119
Mannings was 109

Last year the only team to allow opposing QBs to have a passer rating over 100 for the season was the Lions @ 107. We're currently at close to 120

dream_team
09-26-2010, 11:12 PM
I also don't buy it when people say the coverage will get better when Cushing gets back. I'm hoping I'm wrong though.

THE NFL
09-26-2010, 11:19 PM
I also don't buy it when people say the coverage will get better when Cushing gets back. I'm hoping I'm wrong though.

Thats what fans are telling themselves to make it sting less. The defense is a problem. Cushing will help with some, but not a drastic difference. The Texans have been getting great LB play. LB is probably the deepest position on this team. The LB play hasnt hurt the team.

Also.. no one knows how Cushing will actually play.

dtran04
09-26-2010, 11:30 PM
When was the last time a LB made a play on a ball? Demeco and Diles have never been good in coverage so that will always be a weakness.

Stemp
09-26-2010, 11:33 PM
The backfield is young and inexperienced. The way to compensate is get pressure on the QB.

But honestly, our backfield with a combined 3 years experience has faced Manning, McNabb and Romo, three fairly good QBs and still managed to go 2-1. We have Gradkowski, Manning Lite and Cassel up next and should be good for 2-1 if not 3-0. So we should be 4-2 or 5-1 before the bye week and then heading to Indy.

DerekLee1
09-27-2010, 12:24 AM
The Texans got pressure on Manning all game long. They got zero pressure on McNabb in the first half, when he torched us. In the second half, Mario gets three sacks and we mount an enormous comeback. We didn't even get close enough to Romo to read the name on his jersey today and we got destroyed. The key to Frank Bush's defense is pressure, and it's been spotty. I don't remember seeing a single 6-man rush today. WHY?!? We knew they were going to run. A LOT. Rushing 6 and pressuring Romo like we did in the first quarter of the preseason game kept him on his back and kept the run game in check.

I think Bush is calling games not to lose rather than trying to be aggressive until Cush gets back because he doesn't trust our outside LB's to do anything but drop back and prevent a big run. They're not deep enough to stop the short passes and they're not going after the backfield either. Result? 4-5 yard run gains or 15-yard pass completions.

RTP2110
09-27-2010, 12:42 AM
We need another consistant pass rusher to compliment Mario. We'll be a little better whan Cushing comes back, but for goodness sakes.......FORCE SOME FREAKIN TURNOVERS!!!

2nd week in a row Wilson drops an INT, Barber fumbles and Romo recovers. We have to make those plays!

Romo_Jedi_9
09-27-2010, 06:07 AM
We need another consistant pass rusher to compliment Mario. We'll be a little better whan Cushing comes back, but for goodness sakes.......FORCE SOME FREAKIN TURNOVERS!!!

I feel ya on the turnovers... That's been a big part of the problem for Dallas... What do ya know, Dallas wins the turnover battle for the first time this season, and for the for first time this season they play near their level of off-season hype...

Mario should take some heat for this loss too, the dude was invisible out there today... He had that 1 sack, other than that, you rarely noticed him within 5 feet of Romo... Meanwhile, DeMarcus Ware has 3 sacks and is all over the place, run or pass... Not saying Ware's leaps and bounds better, especially not off one game, but had Mario played the way Ware did today, the Texans might have won... Plus a big game here would have instantly increased Williams' status among the general-public and media...

2nd week in a row Wilson drops an INT, Barber fumbles and Romo recovers. We have to make those plays!

Romo was much closer to the fumbled ball, there wasn't much of a play to be made there...

Whoever that kid was that kept getting his ankles twisted against Williams, that dude can not be your starting CB... I also wasn't at all impressed with this Pollard guy that you all seem to love... If he's supposed to be one of your better defenders, then he didn't show it today, so maybe he should take a little heat too...

The defense let you down, the offense let you down, it's 1 loss, still tied for 1st, and there's hope for improvement...

Scooter
09-27-2010, 06:22 AM

cushing isnt a fix by himself, but he is a lead domino. he's much better in coverage than either ryans or diles, especially over the middle of the field. this allows our safeties a little more freedom, as well as allowing us to blitz more effectively with ryans. our corners are in trouble regardless, but if we're able to better take away the middle of the field we'll be able to support our corners more.

hradhak
09-27-2010, 07:47 AM
I remember Cushing making several plays over the middle in pass coverage. Whether he does that this year is a different story. Regardless, he is better than Adibi, and I think will help.

McNabb threw 38 times for 426 against us. He threw 32 times against the Rams but also got 100+ yards on the ground.

I agree that our secondary is an issue. But teams also have gameplanned against us with the pass. We have a decent run defense, teams know they can pass against us, so they shift their game plan to the pass.

I realize that with Barwin out, our exotic blitz packages are somewhat hampered. I'd still like to see us bring the blitz with more than a 4 man rush.

El Tejano
09-27-2010, 08:03 AM

Really, that's only because we will then have someone else besides Mario to rush the passer.

gtexan02
09-27-2010, 08:42 AM
I remember Cushing making several plays over the middle in pass coverage. Whether he does that this year is a different story. Regardless, he is better than Adibi, and I think will help.

I think this is a great point. I think Cushing actually led our entire team last year with interceptions. He individually created more turnovers than anyone else. Turnovers are game changers. We desperately need him back on defense.

I realize that with Barwin out, our exotic blitz packages are somewhat hampered. I'd still like to see us bring the blitz with more than a 4 man rush.

I hadn't really considered this, but I think you make a good point about Barwin. I wonder how much his loss is hurting us right now. He was becoming quite a good pass rusher, and really allowed us to rush 4 on obvious passing downs and still get decent pressure.

Texan_Bill
09-27-2010, 09:12 AM

57 and 38 respectively.

Mr teX
09-27-2010, 09:26 AM
Thats what fans are telling themselves to make it sting less. The defense is a problem. Cushing will help with some, but not a drastic difference. The Texans have been getting great LB play. LB is probably the deepest position on this team. The LB play hasnt hurt the team.

Also.. no one knows how Cushing will actually play.

Yes Lb is a strength of the team but we nearly lost the Redskins game b/c Adibi was getting his lunch ate against the Redskins TE's Cooley & Davis....he is trash in the run game & passing game. He also did didley squat against the cowboys yesterday. I have to believe that if Cush is playing in any of these games he makes more plays than Adibi in both the run & pass game.

HOU-TEX
09-27-2010, 10:40 AM
Most of Romo's passes in the 2nd half were out of his hand in less than 2 seconds. Shouldn't a defensive backfield hold their coverage for at least 3 seconds? I think so. Coverage is/was the primary cause of failure