PDA

View Full Version : The Texans sure have quite a few interesting players...

Kulluminatii
09-25-2010, 07:10 PM
Side hustle
Why Houston Texans linebacker Kevin Bentley moonlights as a snowboard instructor (http://espn.go.com/action/snowboarding/news/story?page=kevin-bentley-snowboard)

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0924/as_snb_bentley_576.jpg
What is a professional football player doing on a snowboard? That was the question we had after stumbling upon a recent photo of Houston Texans linebacker Kevin Bentley decked out in full on-snow regalia in ESPN The Magazine (Aug. 9 issue 13.16). The article in reference details the "side hustles" of mainstream pro athletes, from wine making to cattle breeding. Bentley's hustle? Teaching snowboarding.

Turns out, Bentley is a Cert II-level instructor who has been teaching snowboarding during the NFL offseason in Vail, Colo. -- for $14 an hour! -- since 2004. How is it that a guy who needs every muscle, ligament and joint in his body to be in peak condition every day of the football season is even allowed to look at a snowboard, much less step foot on one? We had to find out.

ESPN.com: So Kevin, for the snowboarders reading who may not follow the NFL closely, could you run down your list of stats?
Bentley: My football history? I was drafted to Cleveland in the fourth round, played three years there. Then I went to Seattle, played three years -- went to the Super Bowl [in 2006]. This is my third year in Houston. So this is my ninth year playing pro football.

What's the average career length in the NFL?
Oh, about three years. [Laughs.]

On to snowboarding ... how do they let you do it? Isn't it in your contract that you can't? What if you hurt yourself?
I don't know. It's not in my contract.

They don't give you a hard time?
Hell no.

How did you get into snowboarding?
I skateboarded in high school, so I decided to try snowboarding. The National Brotherhood of Skiers have a big summit every year. I went to that and I loved it. The first year I went [it] was in Vail. I met a lot of cool people while I was up there and I just continued to go back.

And you also do yoga? Did someone in Colorado turn you on to that?
No. [Laughs.] It was a strength coach up in Seattle. He offered it to us as a way to get more flexible. I like to eat organic and stuff so I thought I'd try it, and I loved it, and have been doing it ever since.

So your teammates don't think you're just the crazy guy on the team, into yoga and snowboarding?
Nah. I mean, they know I'm anal about my regimen. But you know, as long as I get the job done I could really care less what people think. And then offseason I'm gonna live my life and have fun, that's the way I look at it.

Full article in link above.

Line_Producer
09-25-2010, 07:36 PM
Awesome article, I hope I see him up there this season.

CloakNNNdagger
09-25-2010, 08:34 PM
Big Ben was left to his "good judgement." Despite even real good judgement, things happen. BTW, over half of "skiing" accidents occur on snowboards rather than skis. Hope that $14 an hour job is worth it to both him and the Texans.

hradhak
09-25-2010, 09:42 PM
The 7 year ACL tear rate for a professional skiier / snowboarder is close to 100%
He may not be doing it year round, but still...

Sway
09-25-2010, 10:01 PM
too bad he's a boarder. I spend all my time on the slopes trying to avoid their recklessness. :-( Sorry, but I've been skiing since I was 3. At least he's on the snow.