PDA

View Full Version : Glad I didn't know this on Sunday - FG shoe issues

GlassHalfFull
09-23-2010, 02:16 PM
Justice column link (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7213573.html)

I know, I know, it is Justice. But he has been pretty reasonable this season about Texans coverage.

I am just glad I had no idea about this (as is Kubiak) on Sunday.

We take you now to the sidelines at FedEx Field last Sunday afternoon. Listen in on a chat between Texans special teams coach Joe Marciano and kicker Neil Rackers.
Marciano: "Hey, we're going to kick it on third down. What hash mark do you want (the ball on)?"
Rackers: "I need a shoe."
Marciano: "Come again?"
Rackers: "I blew my shoe out."
Cough. Choke. Gulp.
"You can't print my reaction," Marciano said.
OK, never mind. The Houston Chronicle strives to be a family newspaper. Back to the action.
"I was warming up into the net, and my shoe sole started to pull away from the leather," Rackers said. "I hit one more ball, and my toe was almost shooting out the side of the shoe."
There are a few different ways to kick game-winning field goals, but barefoot isn't Rackers' favorite.
"That was going to be an option if the shoe wasn't out there," Rackers said. "I would have given it a shot. It would have been better than having (the busted) shoe on."
Talk about bad timing. The Texans had clawed and scratched their way from 17 points down to force overtime on an amazing Matt Schaub-to-Andre Johnson touchdown pass.
Now they were positioned to win one of those special games, one that just might have some carryover in terms of confidence and resilience and all those other things coaches love.
As you might recall, the Texans have an unpleasant recent history when it comes to late-game field-goal attempts. Last season, Kris Brown missed kicks that would have forced overtime against the Colts and Titans, and those misses are why Rackers was signed in the first place.
Now, in his first big moment for his new team, he'd suffered the ultimate wardrobe malfunction.
How about those apples, Joe?
"I know one thing," Marciano said, "I wasn't going to go tell the head coach."

more at the link.

CloakNNNdagger
09-23-2010, 02:25 PM
You have to ask yourself if a similar incident has happened to you EVER in the past, why wouldn't you routinely have an extra pair of shoes on the bench????????

Showtime100
09-23-2010, 02:33 PM
So presumably he'll be kicking against Dallas with a new pair of shoes or at best, the backup pair. Hmmm. Don't really know if that'll be a problem but I do know I don't need any add-on excitement during Houston field goals.

powerfuldragon
09-23-2010, 02:36 PM
You have to ask yourself if a similar incident has happened to you EVER in the past, why wouldn't you routinely have an extra pair of shoes on the bench????????

two pairs. if it's happened more than once, two reserve pairs.

BIG TORO
09-23-2010, 02:44 PM
Thats pretty funny! Good read GHF must spread rep!

Dutchrudder
09-23-2010, 02:50 PM
They are really making too much of this. The Texans had timeouts available in OT, so it's not nearly as much of a 'close call' as they want you to think.

Showtime100
09-23-2010, 03:10 PM
They are really making too much of this. The Texans had timeouts available in OT, so it's not nearly as much of a 'close call' as they want you to think.

So a timeout would be enough time for him to feel comfortable kicking barefoot or have a new pair broken in to kick with?

JB
09-23-2010, 03:14 PM
So a timeout would be enough time for him to feel comfortable kicking barefoot or have a new pair broken in to kick with?

He wound up kicking in his spare shoe without having to burn a time out.

Showtime100
09-23-2010, 03:17 PM
He wound up kicking in his spare shoe without having to burn a time out.

Aah. Somehow I didn't see that. Thanks.

EDIT: Apologies, Dutch

NitroGSXR
09-23-2010, 03:28 PM
That must have been a hell of a competition during preseason and training camp!

Me thinks his warmup routine has to do with it breaking. Hot tubs are hard on shoes.