PDA

View Full Version : Special Teams....ouch

gtexan02
09-20-2010, 09:09 AM
I'd give them an "D-" today. Only reason it wasn't an "F" is because Rackers kicked the game winner

1. Steve Slaton put on the worst kick returner display Ive ever seen.

2. Our punt return unit had a penalty almost every single time. We either had no return or a penalty. Come on.

3. Matt Turk delay of game for a kick 7 yards deep in the end zone? Really? Punting on the 34 nets you 20 yards if you can't pin them. That wasn't even close.

4. What was with the 15 yarder punt that had a few lucky bounces? Turk is the most reliable punter in the league usually. That shank was pretty bad.

5. That squib kickoff directly to Sellers game them field position on the 40.

Horrible ST play today I thought

Hardcore Texan
09-20-2010, 09:12 AM
Yeah, we were sloppy on ST's. My biggest concern is who can we get to return kicks? Slaton is not the answer and does not look like he has any confidence. JJ is a dynamic PR but so-so KR. We really need an answer at KR.

hradhak
09-20-2010, 09:17 AM
I would rather have JJ in at KR then Slaton. JJ may not be as good, but he at least brings the big play threat. Slaton is not a KR by any stretch of the imagination, and I don't think he could break one if his life depended on it. I wonder if they would try Dorin Dickerson back there so as not to put JJ at anymore injury risk.

Texas T
09-20-2010, 09:18 AM
Yeah, we were sloppy on ST's. My biggest concern is who can we get to return kicks? Slaton is not the answer and does not look like he has any confidence. JJ is a dynamic PR but so-so KR. We really need an answer at KR.

I understand all ya'll said but...don't forget BP blocked the FG when we REALLY needed it. Give them props for that!!

CloakNNNdagger
09-20-2010, 09:24 AM
There was one kick off that JJ fielded that he hesitated a long time, appearing not knowing what to do or where to go.

gtexan02
09-20-2010, 09:27 AM
I understand all ya'll said but...don't forget BP blocked the FG when we REALLY needed it. Give them props for that!!

Forgot about that. I credit that to Pollard as an individual though :) He's just that much of a hoss

That was an amazing play though

Texas T
09-20-2010, 09:27 AM
There was one kick off that JJ fielded that he hesitated a long time, appearing not knowing what to do or where to go.

Yeah, we were wondering if that was the new pause and play policy...

HOU-TEX
09-20-2010, 09:32 AM
Unfortunately, the special teams was probably still better than our secondary. McNabb's good, but players being that wide open is pathetic.

Oh yeah, zone coverage still sucks

Grid
09-20-2010, 09:32 AM
Yeah special teams were pretty bad. Hopefully special teams and secondary are going to be the two key points that Kubiak & company focus on between now and next sunday.

Dutchrudder
09-20-2010, 09:38 AM
I say give David Anderson a shot at kick returns. He's small, shifty and can take a good hit.

El Tejano
09-20-2010, 09:39 AM
I'd give them an "D-" today. Only reason it wasn't an "F" is because Rackers kicked the game winner

1. Steve Slaton put on the worst kick returner display Ive ever seen.

Yes, he was horrible. The first return for our first possession of the day was just being clueless and that ticked me off. However, the last return to start OT is what really pissed me off. He should know that if the ball bounces out of bounds, we get to start at the 35 yard line. What does he do? Field the ball and try to return it? That could've been the play of the game if he let it go out of bounds.

Dread-Head
09-20-2010, 10:33 AM
Special teams didn't look STELLAR...but that blocked field goal is one of the reasons they won. My hat is off. They have some work to do, but the ingredients are there, let this soup simmer.

Rey
09-20-2010, 10:43 AM
I am not too worried about special teams...

I think Joe will iron things out...

Yeah Slaton had a bad day back there, but he has looked good at other times...

When watching the game, I kept wondering if Slaton was ever going to get his groove back...

I don't think he'll many more opprotunities than what he's getting on special teams...

I actually think Steve is the perfect returner for Kick-offs..He's a straight ahead speed kind of guy...If he gets a crease he can take one for a long way...

I'm just not in panic mode yet about that...I think that Marciano will get them together...

Texans_Chick
09-20-2010, 10:49 AM
For the long range of special teams, the Texans have some issues.

Connor Barwin and James Casey were leaders on the special teams--Coach Joe depended on both of them, their athleticism, and looks like both will be out.

Those guys were already trained up on what Coach Joe likes--replacing them will be an adventure.

Dutchrudder
09-20-2010, 10:51 AM
For the long range of special teams, the Texans have some issues.

Connor Barwin and James Casey were leaders on the special teams--Coach Joe depended on both of them, their athleticism, and looks like both will be out.

Those guys were already trained up on what Coach Joe likes--replacing them will be an adventure.

I'm just fine with Rackers booting the ball out the back of the endzone on every kickoff. For punts, let turk hit the sidelines instead of the middle of the field or the end zone if need be.

dream_team
09-20-2010, 11:41 AM
Slaton will be fine and he showed signs of being a good return man in the preseason. It's his first time ever returning kicks, so he may make a bone-head play here and there. But I actually prefer him back there than JJ.

Marciano really needs to stress the penalties. Too many penalties that are negating good play. But, when JJ made that good return towards the end of the game, and Houston was penalized twice (block in the back & holding). When they showed the replay, I saw nothing there. Should have been a no-call.

Rackers leg strength didn't really seem like it was 100% yesterday. That would explain alot.

Horrible game for Turk! The only good thing he did yesterday was running around for 3 seconds.

Wolf
09-21-2010, 08:00 PM
Slaton back there worries me.. he looked HORRIBLE

Scooter
09-21-2010, 08:11 PM
I say give David Anderson a shot at kick returns. He's small, shifty and can take a good hit.

anderson did return kicks and punts for a while his rookie season but if i remember correctly had a lot of trouble fielding the catch cleanly. he's also got very little open field acceleration. more of a backup punt returner than a kick returner in my opinion.