PDA

View Full Version : This is the game I've been waiting for

Hervoyel
09-19-2010, 07:27 PM
For the better part of 9 years I've been waiting to watch this game. Not a dominant win over a lousy team. Not a fluke victory over a hated rival. Not a win over a quality team mailing it in while waiting for the playoffs to begin.

I've been waiting on this game. A 30 point come from behind victory against a team that we don't know like the back of our hands in their house with thousands of fans screaming against us and no reason to win except that for ****s sake we aren't about to lose this game.

I've been waiting to see the Texans whip out a pair of nuts the size of bowling balls and stand up in the second half and tell another team (tell being "code" for smacking the crap out of them) that "Oh no, that's not the way this ends".

I've been waiting to see the Texans decide that they've had just about enough of this crap and it stops right frigging now.

Today I saw that. I was proud last week and I was disappointed in the first half this week. I won't deny that the thought of turning the TV off and going to work on my yard crossed my mind. I wanted to. I really did. I've been down this road so many times before (as have all of you) and I was ready to do some weeding in the back yard but.... I just couldn't get the thought out of my mind that last week they didn't look like the same Texans I was used to seeing.

They weren't. These Texans are serious about this ****. There isn't a single remaining member of the expansion team left. Nobody. As much as I like Kris Brown (and if you don't like him you can kiss my ass) I know he's not the kicker for this team. He's a great guy and someone I want to live next door to but he's not the kicker I want trying to win a game in overtime.

Nobody quit today. Nobody mailed it in. Gary Kubiak was a dumb **** for not trying to kick it on that first possession in overtime and I don't think I'll ever be a fan of his but I'll be damned if these guys aren't (finally) playing their asses off for him. If they're ready to live or die with Kubiak than who am I to question that?

I'm in. I'm re-sold on this team. I'm grinning ear to ear. I'm finally entirely satisfied with every aspect of this team. I'm a demanding fan and something of an ******* and I know it but today I saw my football team and I'm here for the duration. Next week the UNDEFEATED Houston Texans will host the WINLESS Dallas Cowboys and I can't ask for anything more than that.

Allstar
09-19-2010, 07:37 PM
Preach it Brotha!

BullNation4Life
09-19-2010, 08:27 PM
For the better part of 9 years I've been waiting to watch this game. Not a dominant win over a lousy team. Not a fluke victory over a hated rival. Not a win over a quality team mailing it in while waiting for the playoffs to begin.

I've been waiting on this game. A 30 point come from behind victory against a team that we don't know like the back of our hands in their house with thousands of fans screaming against us and no reason to win except that for ****s sake we aren't about to lose this game.

I've been waiting to see the Texans whip out a pair of nuts the size of bowling balls and stand up in the second half and tell another team (tell being "code" for smacking the crap out of them) that "Oh no, that's not the way this ends".

I've been waiting to see the Texans decide that they've had just about enough of this crap and it stops right frigging now.

Today I saw that. I was proud last week and I was disappointed in the first half this week. I won't deny that the thought of turning the TV off and going to work on my yard crossed my mind. I wanted to. I really did. I've been down this road so many times before (as have all of you) and I was ready to do some weeding in the back yard but.... I just couldn't get the thought out of my mind that last week they didn't look like the same Texans I was used to seeing.

They weren't. These Texans are serious about this ****. There isn't a single remaining member of the expansion team left. Nobody. As much as I like Kris Brown (and if you don't like him you can kiss my ass) I know he's not the kicker for this team. He's a great guy and someone I want to live next door to but he's not the kicker I want trying to win a game in overtime.

Nobody quit today. Nobody mailed it in. Gary Kubiak was a dumb **** for not trying to kick it on that first possession in overtime and I don't think I'll ever be a fan of his but I'll be damned if these guys aren't (finally) playing their asses off for him. If they're ready to live or die with Kubiak than who am I to question that?

I'm in. I'm re-sold on this team. I'm grinning ear to ear. I'm finally entirely satisfied with every aspect of this team. I'm a demanding fan and something of an ******* and I know it but today I saw my football team and I'm here for the duration. Next week the UNDEFEATED Houston Texans will host the WINLESS Dallas Cowboys and I can't ask for anything more than that.

He was not a dumb**** for not kicking it the first time in OT, especially since Rackers had been sick all week, was not a 100% strength wise and already missed 47 yarder and a 53 yarder in practice that hit the crossbar...

It was a calculated risk that Kubiak finally was on the winning side of...

Pantherstang84
09-19-2010, 08:29 PM
Right on!!

FirstTexansFan
09-19-2010, 08:33 PM

Herv, I've been here with you since day one (as well as many others on this board), and you are right sir, we've paid our dues, we carry the scars. I understand the negativity of some, it's been tough being a fan. Just glad I'm still here to bask in this glorious victory. Our time has come, I am a believer too! High Five friend, now lets kick the living crap out of these LastAzz Sowboys, we need to begin winning over this states fanbase!!

Hardcore Texan
09-19-2010, 08:34 PM
He was not a dumb**** for not kicking it the first time in OT, especially since Rackers had been sick all week, was not a 100% strength wise and already missed 47 yarder and a 53 yarder in practice that hit the crossbar...

Even if he misses the field goal, they ended up with better field position anyway.

Pantherstang84
09-19-2010, 08:37 PM
Herv, I've been here with you since day one (as well as many others on this board), and you are right sir, we've paid our dues, we carry the scars. I understand the negativity of some, it's been tough being a fan. Just glad I'm still here to bask in this glorious victory. Our time has come, I am a believer too! High Five friend, now lets kick the living crap out of these LastAzz Sowboys, we need to begin winning over this states fanbase!!

All of those years of being ridiculed for sticking to our team through the tough times are paying off.

Hookem Horns
09-19-2010, 08:38 PM

I was cussing him for punting. I get the not going for the FG however punting didn't even cross my mind. I thought the choice was go for it or kick the FG. I thought they should have went for it.

Kubes dodged a big bullet on that call. I am just glad we won't be discussing that call all week.

BTW, the how many of you were thinking about Ian Howfield today?

valleytexfan
09-19-2010, 08:38 PM

Love this. Damn proud to be a Texan fan today!! Especially in the RGV (aka Cowgirl land)

texanmojo
09-19-2010, 08:42 PM
Gary Kubiak was a dumb **** for not trying to kick it on that first possession in overtime and I don't think I'll ever be a fan of his but I'll be damned if these guys aren't (finally) playing their asses off for him.

If the Texans make it to the Super Bowl...I can promise you will be a Kubiak fan! Regardless...I agree with everything else you said!

THE NFL
09-19-2010, 08:45 PM
The Texans better fix that secondary or there wont be a Super Bowl this year. 2 weeks in a row and QB throws for over 400 yards on this Texans defense. This time a bad offense. There isnt any excuses about Manning or a prevent defense to fall back on.

The Texans secondary is BAD.

Jackie Chiles
09-19-2010, 08:47 PM
The Texans better fix that secondary or there wont be a Super Bowl this year. 2 weeks in a row and QB throws for over 400 yards on this Texans defense. This time a bad offense. There isnt any excuses about Manning or a prevent defense to fall back on.

Everyone knows the secondary has been a sieve for two games, beat it Debbie Downer.

hradhak
09-19-2010, 08:48 PM
I agree with going for it on 4th down. Rackers was missing field goals of 50+ yards in warmups before the Colts game, and passing a kidney stone probably didn't help.
I'm not going to question Kubiak on it though. He has made somewhat questionable calls, but he knows the limitations of his team. I have a feeling we would all be asking why he went for it and didn't get it on 4th down in OT if he indeed went for it.

In the end, we have won 2 games against likely playoff teams, and we have shown that we can hang with some of the best. From now on, if this team ever gets down 17 points, they can always say, "yeah, but remember when we rallied and beat the Redskins in overtime? We can do that again"

I'll say this now, and until this team wins a playoff game - best Texans win in the history of the franchise.

Lucky
09-19-2010, 08:50 PM
The Texans are 2-0 and atop AFC South. With a secondary that is not good.

The good news is that the secondary is young and will get better. It will certainly be ready to shutdown Vince Young (or will it be Kerry Collins?) by week 12.

Texan_Touchdown
09-19-2010, 08:52 PM

and 2 times we won. So shut up little cry baby. And go worry about what the Titans are going to do next weeks after VY looked HORRIBLE today.

ziggy29
09-19-2010, 08:52 PM
The Texans are 2-0 and atop AFC South. With a secondary that is not good.

The good news is that the secondary is young and will get better. It will certainly be ready to shutdown Vince Young (or will it be Kerry Collins?) by week 12.
I hope it's Collins. That will ensure KEYE shows the Texans instead of the VY-led Tacks in the Austin market, though in reality, as long as the Texans keep winning, I think we'll keep seeing the Texans on KEYE. Winning changes a lot of things.

ReliantTexan
09-19-2010, 08:56 PM

The Texans secondary is BAD.How did that "scary" Titans offense look today?

hradhak
09-19-2010, 08:56 PM
I hope it's Collins. That will ensure KEYE shows the Texans instead of the VY-led Tacks in the Austin market, though in reality, as long as the Texans keep winning, I think we'll keep seeing the Texans on KEYE. Winning changes a lot of things.

Hopefully we'll see fewer Dallas Cowgirl jerseys around town too. Houston's got a lot of fair weather fans (not on this board, mind you), but I think a winner will get more folks to convert to us, especially in places where they are more likely to be casual fans like San Antonio and Austin.

ArlingtonTexan
09-19-2010, 08:59 PM

I never thought that the team ever quit on Kubiak, but that they were some combination of too young, not good anough and not smart enough. One of the few arguments to keeping Kubiak was the fact the late in useless seasons the team actually care about finishing strong and all that BS and followed through. It was good to see that same stuff in a game that mattered.

GP
09-19-2010, 09:00 PM
I was cussing him for punting. I get the not going for the FG however punting didn't even cross my mind. I thought the choice was go for it or kick the FG. I thought they should have went for it.

Kubes dodged a big bullet on that call. I am just glad we won't be discussing that call all week.

Oh Lord, I didn't even THINK about Ian Howfield. I thought the TV commentator, Ian Something, was Daniel Snyder. But never thought of Ian Howfield.

Why did you have to conjure up his name? Pissed at you now. :foottap:

sandman
09-19-2010, 09:01 PM

Manning. McNabb. 44. 18.

Think about those four things when assessing the play of the secondary.

We either faced two teams with prolific QB's that game-planned to pass a lot, or were forced to because of the score or because the Texans were shutting down their run game.

We are not going to face All-Pro HOF QB's every week. And I honestly don't think our secondary will make average QB's look like HOFers either.

Brando
09-19-2010, 09:06 PM
n/m.............Go Texans!

GP
09-19-2010, 09:07 PM
Everyone knows the secondary has been a sieve for two games, beat it Debbie Downer.

Our run defense was awful last season for the first few games.

I have a feeling the secondary is going to tighten up. They know they need to get some things fixed. I bet they will find a way to improve.

And once Cushing gets back in there, it changes things in the secondary too...because Cushing has range & instincts to cover the middle of the field. This will help the CBs and Safeties, IMO.

False Start
09-19-2010, 09:08 PM

Thats pretty much how I feel. Kubiak dives me nuts sometimes, but I think hes finally getting things his way. I'll give just a bit more rope.

The shades Ian Howfield were flashing through my mind as soon as they tied the game. :hide:

Hookem Horns
09-19-2010, 09:14 PM
I was thinking of Ian Howfield because it was a comeback game in Washington just like today and it came down to a 30 something yard FG for the win.

BTW, the Oilers would have choked today. No way a Bud Adams team pulls off that game today.

PHAROAH
09-19-2010, 09:14 PM
The Texans grew up today big today GREAT WIN.

Porky
09-19-2010, 09:20 PM

I have a feeling the secondary is going to tighten up. They know they need to get some things fixed. I bet they will find a way to improve.

And once Cushing gets back in there, it changes things in the secondary too...because Cushing has range & instincts to cover the middle of the field. This will help the CBs and Safeties, IMO.

I actually had similar thoughts regarding Cushing.

I agree overall with Herv, and on the bright side we are 2-0 without Cushing. Once he is back, I predict the secondary looks better although there is little doubt that Corner is the weakest position on the team.

DocBar
09-19-2010, 09:22 PM
Even if he misses the field goal, they ended up with better field position anyway.
The Texans had the 'Skins at the 20 and MW sacked him on 1-10. Antonio Smith making a dumbass boneheaded penalty gave the 'Skins the excellent field position. I, for 1 agree with not kicking the field goal. Part of me wishes we would've gone for it, but either way, I wouldn't try the FG and give them the ball at the 42.
All in all, I agree with most of what Herv said. THIS could be the statement game the Texans needed to make. BTW, we have now won 6 reg season games in a row. We've come a long way from HWWWNM not cutting his hair.
What a helluva a game our boys had today. If I were in Houston, I'd be at the airport to welcome them home.

Hervoyel
09-19-2010, 09:22 PM
Ian Howfield crossed my mind when Rackers missed that first kick. I think if you're a longtime Houston fan who bridges the two teams and you have all that history in your head then it's impossible not to have it cross your mind.

Off topic from this point on....

Last night I did a crazy-stupid thing. I found the 1993 Oilers/Bills comeback game on Rapidshare and I downloaded that thing. Then I watched it. I don't know, it felt like something I needed to do. I'd been thinking about it since seeing it mentioned in a thread on 4chan earlier in the week and seeing it available made me want to download it. Once I started watching it I started getting a sense of detachment from it. It's a pivotal moment in my fan existence and I haven't seen it all the way through since the day it happened. Still, for the first time in a long time I didn't feel like I was watching "my team" choke up a lead like that. I remembered how much watching it hurt but I didn't care anymore. I'm done with it. I'm over it. It's not my cross to bear so to speak. I just mention it because Hookem mentioned the Ian Howfield thing and I've spent the weekend thinking of the past a lot.

The past is the past. I'm through splitting my affection between my team and another one that doesn't exist anymore. R.I.P. Houston Oilers and **** the Titans until the day I die.

Jackie Chiles
09-19-2010, 09:27 PM

He is our best blitzer as well, causes havoc even if he doesn't get the sack himself. Can't wait to watch that guy play again.

I agree about the secondary, they are going to get better. Probably won't wind up as good as our run defense did but we don't need them to be. Just get a little better every game. Its nice to have faith in the defensive coaching staff as well.

Giant Tiger
09-19-2010, 10:12 PM

I was thinking we shouldn't get pinned down in the corner on kickoffs...twice. Just let it go out of bounds. Also I had forgotten about Philip Buchanon.

MEGA SWATT
09-19-2010, 10:20 PM
I agree with mostly all u said, admit it though you are a fan of Kubiak!!!:specnatz:

GP
09-19-2010, 10:49 PM
Thats pretty much how I feel. Kubiak dives me nuts sometimes, but I think hes finally getting things his way. I'll give just a bit more rope.

The shades Ian Howfield were flashing through my mind as soon as they tied the game. :hide:

Kubiak DIVES your nuts?!?!? And he's finally getting things his way? Hmmm....

:spit:

Hey now, that's Too Much Information. There are kids on this board.

Mr. White
09-20-2010, 12:24 AM
Remember all the talk about turning the corner last season? I think it happened today.

These are the kind of games that playoff teams win.

powerfuldragon
09-20-2010, 01:05 AM
+16

DexmanC
09-20-2010, 01:10 AM
I actually had similar thoughts regarding Cushing.

I agree overall with Herv, and on the bright side we are 2-0 without Cushing. Once he is back, I predict the secondary looks better although there is little doubt that Corner is the weakest position on the team.

I honestly think the weakness in the secondary is free safety. Our corners
are pretty good on short yardage, unlike the Petey Faggins / Fred Bennett
tandem we had, but our free safety is unable to provide adequate help
over-the-top. I have a sense, should this team survive, they will select
a free safety in the high rounds of the next draft.

GP
09-20-2010, 09:22 AM
I didn't really get a chance to key in on Eugene Wilson too much.

But it seemed like I never saw him in the picture on my TV. If I did, I saw his back and he was chasing someone. Again, didn't focus in on it. But it didn't seem that he was where he needed to be.

If we had a true set-in-concrete Free Safety, with the way Pollard punishes people at the Strong Safety position...well, it would really help.

I am not TOO concerned about the CBs right now. If they haven't adjusted and gotten better by week 5 or 6, then it might be time to hit the panic button.

I think CB might the toughest position to draft a guy at. It seems like they are just out there all alone and the WRs have so much of an advantage these days.

hradhak
09-20-2010, 09:31 AM
Guys like Darrel Revis (sp?) are rare. You don't have to have elite CBs to be a winning team in the league. I think we are seeing a really skewed view in that the first 2 games were against elite QBs. Week 3 is going to be more of the same against Romo. But I can't think of a better way for Kareem Jackson to get reps.

Honestly any secondary is going to be strained against those 2 teams, so we've just gotta let it pass and the rest of the team has to pick up some of the slack.

Remember too, that we are still missing Cushing, who showed some flashes of brilliance in coverage.

BigBull17
09-20-2010, 10:49 AM

This year, our run D is amazing. The Skins wanted to run the ball and couldn't. Make em pass and they can't milk the clock and kill the game.

I never thought that the team ever quit on Kubiak, but that they were some combination of too young, not good anough and not smart enough. One of the few arguments to keeping Kubiak was the fact the late in useless seasons the team actually care about finishing strong and all that BS and followed through. It was good to see that same stuff in a game that mattered.

They never have quit on Kubiak. They show they will play for the man.

Double Barrel
09-20-2010, 10:52 AM
So many things were awesome about yesterday. First OT win in franchise history. Everyone contributed. They overcame their own mistakes. They never quit. I agree with Herv, these last two games we have all waited to see for nine years, and they are sweeter than ever.

You can't doubt the team this year. No matter the situation, they just showed us in two games that they are for real. They believe in themselves, and we have to follow accordingly.

One game at a time, but now it finally feels like the next game can't come soon enough! :redtowel:

Texan_Bill
09-20-2010, 10:56 AM
"Our baby's all grown up!"

Dread-Head
09-20-2010, 10:58 AM
Revenge!!!!!!!!!!!! What happened in Jerry's toilet shall NOT be forgotten! I'll be there with the predator mask on!

Dread-Head
09-20-2010, 10:59 AM
Revenge!!!!!!!!!!!! What happened in Jerry's toilet shall NOT be forgotten! I'll be there with the predator mask on!

ChampionTexan
09-20-2010, 11:19 AM

I understand exactly what you're saying.

One of the reasons I was okay with letting Dunta move on is that I think a losing attitude had taken over. (maybe it goes away with a change of scenery, maybe not, but that's not our problem). I've brought up in a previous post that somebody (Maybe Jerome Solomon) commented on hearing Dunta say "Here we go again" after something less than wonderful happened in a close game that the Texans ended up losing. I'm not sure that Kris Brown didn't fall victim to the same fate.

Perhaps we are entering a time in the franchise's history where uttering the phrase "Here we go again" will be a sign of optimism and positivity!

Rey
09-20-2010, 11:30 AM
The fight that the team had until the end was not something new to me...

Sure we have mostly come out on the losing side of these close games, but this team has shown a lot of fight under Kubiak for the most part...

The thing that impressed me the most was our offenses ability to move the ball in high pressure situations...

The skins were brining the heat and Schaubie was cool as a concert...Finding receivers...And the O-line was doing as good as they could have....

The offense really impressed me today...Didn't get any game momentum turnovers from the defense, but they were still able to produce big...

El Tejano
09-20-2010, 12:13 PM
How did that "scary" Titans offense look today?

Body Slammed!

El Tejano
09-20-2010, 12:17 PM

Sometimes I hate the fact that I wait to respond to posts until I read the entirety of it because my points end up being typed by someonelse before I can type them.

Diles has done a good job so far, but honestly, Cushing coming back means there will not be alot of YAC. Cushing helps finish tackles alot better than Diles does.

El Tejano
09-20-2010, 12:23 PM
I wanted to stop watching because I could sense my composure ticker coming to an end and I vowed to act better during these types of games this year. However, something told me (before it happened) that if we scored before the end of 3rd quarter we would be okay. Then, boom! Foster rips that 50 yard pass play and we score at the very end of the 3rd quarter. At that moment I felt some relief because I knew the coaches were trying to win. In previous years they would've let the clock run and try to score in the open of the 4th quarter. Then all of a sudden, this calmness came about my house so much that my 4 year old son said "Don't be scared, The Texans will do good."

I kept thinking of the Arizona game, both Indy games, Tennessee game. Then I thought about the Miami game, the Green Bay game and even the game against New England and I thought ' all those close games that this YOUNG team has been through are about to get paid off today' and sure enough they did.