PDA

View Full Version : Grade Kubiak on the Redskins Game

Playmaker
09-19-2010, 07:54 PM
I give him a C. Would have been a D if we lost.

Played not to lose. Got lucky on the freezing the FG kicker.

What say you?

BullNation4Life
09-19-2010, 07:56 PM
A because it was A win

gwallaia
09-19-2010, 07:58 PM
A+

We came from 17 points down to win our first ever OT game.

Goatcheese
09-19-2010, 07:58 PM
A-

His players making bonehead plays most of the first half put them in a bad position. Fortunately he coached 'em up and got the ship back on course for the VICTORY!!!!

Playmaker
09-19-2010, 08:00 PM
well then how did you feel about the conservative play calling at the end of the regulation?

and also going for the punt on the first drive in OT?

FirstTexansFan
09-19-2010, 08:01 PM
A+ without a doubt. And I'm a pink soaper from last year. This team didn't quit on him, and they've proved to me at least, they aren't the same old Texans.
Rackers had already missed that 47 yard field goal, he had also passed kidney stones earlier in the week. It wasn't Kubiak not showing confidence in him, it was recognizing he wasn't going to make that 52 yard kick, and he would have given the Redskins a short field. He placed trust in his defense, and I believe earned the entire teams respect.

Señor Stan
A

Not trying the 51 yarder was the right call. I don't think Rackers had 51 in him today. The Washington kicker missed his and gave the Texans a short field.

Lucky
I give Kubiak the very highest grade. "W". Because winning is the only thing that matters.

Thorn
09-19-2010, 08:02 PM
B+

He's obviously doing a better job at managing the games so far this season.

rollinstone18
09-19-2010, 08:02 PM
we won. he passed.

DexmanC
09-19-2010, 08:03 PM
I give Kubiak a B+. The players overcame some huge gaffes by Kubes that could've
cost them the game. Yet, I saw him watching kicks and instructing his
special teams squad how to handle the snap at the end of regulation.

It's the second-best coached game I've seen from Kubiak. Let's make Sunday
the third.

Hoss
Should've went for the fg the first time in ot.Don't understand why he didn't...

dtran04
A+ for the win. That was easily the most epic game the Texans have ever played.

People that complain will complain no matter what.

ObsiWan
09-19-2010, 08:05 PM
A+ without a doubt. And I'm a pink soaper from last year. This team didn't quit on him, and they've proved to me at least, they aren't the same old Texans.
Rackers had already missed that 47 yard field goal, he had also passed kidney stones earlier in the week. It wasn't Kubiak not showing confidence in him, it was recognizing he wasn't going to make that 52 yard kick, and he would have given the Redskins a short field. He placed trust in his defense, and I believe earned the entire teams respect.

That's why he didn't go for the first FG in OT. Rackers just wasn't up to it today.

Playmaker
09-19-2010, 08:06 PM
So Gary called a perfect game, nothing in this game made you scratch your head? Any win is an automatic A?

ensign_lee
09-19-2010, 08:07 PM
That's why he didn't go for the first FG in OT. Rackers just wasn't up to it today.

Then you FAKE it. Or you GO FOR IT.

Punting is the worst possible decision there. BY FAR.

Grade for Kubiak today is a D. Would have been an F------ if we'd lost. Players won this game.

ObsiWan
09-19-2010, 08:07 PM
Should've went for the fg the first time in ot.Don't understand why he didn't...

Rackers didn't have a 54-55 yd FG in him. He'd already missed from 47.

mexican_texan
09-19-2010, 08:09 PM
So Gary called a perfect game, nothing in this game made you scratch your head? Any win is an automatic A?
An OT win on the road from 17 down is good, especially considering Rosenfels was nowhere near FedEx Field.

I can criticize him, but I don't know if Rackers could make a long field goal.

ObsiWan
09-19-2010, 08:10 PM
Then you FAKE it. Or you GO FOR IT.

Punting is the worst possible decision there. BY FAR.

Grade for Kubiak today is a D. Would have been an F------ if we'd lost. Players won this game.

Riiiight... and if they had failed on the fake or the fourth down attempt??

And when you get right down to it, the players have to win every game.

...or lose it.

Wonder what the 'Skins fans are doing?

Playmaker
09-19-2010, 08:11 PM
An OT win on the road from 17 down is good, especially considering Rosenfels was nowhere near FedEx Field.

I can criticize him, but I don't know if Rackers could make a long field goal.
Isn't that the players making specials plays, like AJ catching the jumpball or Pollard blocking the FG?

The end of regulation playcalling is still sticking in my mind, not very aggressive.

Stemp
09-19-2010, 08:12 PM
B-

I was calling Kubes every name in the book when we punted and McNabb started moving the ball after in OT. Good icing of the kicker though.

FirstTexansFan
09-19-2010, 08:13 PM
Isn't that the players making specials plays, like AJ catching the jumpball or Polard blocking the FG?

The end of regulation playcalling is still sticking in my mind, not very aggressive.

Lets move on, the scoreboard says, you're analysis was wrong... bring on the Cowboys! :)

BullNation4Life
09-19-2010, 08:15 PM
Isn't that the players making specials plays, like AJ catching the jumpball or Pollard blocking the FG?

Once the sack on Schaub happened, no need to force the issue deep in your own territory. Take your chances in OT

Playmaker
09-19-2010, 08:15 PM
Lets move on, the scoreboard says, you're analysis was wrong... bring on the Cowboys! :)
So Gary called for the blocked FG? He called for AJ making a spectacular jumpball catch? He takes credit for that?

Rey
09-19-2010, 08:16 PM
A+

There is no such thing as calling a perfect game.

In my grading book a coach can only get an A+ or an F-. If you lose the game for your team, F-. If your team wins the game and you make some good calls along the way A+.

BullNation4Life
09-19-2010, 08:17 PM
So Gary called for the blocked FG? He called for AJ making a spectacular jumpball catch? He takes credit for that?

Dude, your grasping at straws on a fantastic OT win? Move on already

FirstTexansFan
09-19-2010, 08:18 PM

Ok, you're right, everyone else is wrong :) I say we don't even need a coaching staff, the players can handle this on their own LOL

OzzO
09-19-2010, 08:19 PM
His team won... he gets a passing grade.

Playmaker
09-19-2010, 08:21 PM
Don't get me wrong, it was a great win and I think the Texans as a whole are turning the corner with this gutty win.

But, at least to me, there were some head scratchers for sure. I'll move on for the sake of basking in this win though lol.

Playmaker
09-19-2010, 08:27 PM
repost

Nawzer
09-19-2010, 08:33 PM
A++++ because we won! Otherwise he did an average job of calling the game.

PapaL
09-19-2010, 08:33 PM
B+

He's obviously doing a better job at managing the games so far this season.

That sums it up nicely. Room for improvement but looking good so far.

PockyAF
09-19-2010, 08:34 PM
Kubiak=http://www.bigpunk.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/racoon_balls_anim.gif

The Pencil Neck
09-19-2010, 08:37 PM

It was outside of Rackers' range. He'd already missed from 47, no need to try him from 55 (or whatever it was.) Better to pin the Skins back and trust our defense.

Now, Turk had a baaaaaaad punt, but it turned out OK because Kubes pulled a perfect Ice job.

dtran04
09-19-2010, 08:39 PM
Did people not notice that Rackers was MUCH shorter on kickoffs kicking that direction?

Did nobody notice that the Redskins were in a panic after the coin toss because they at first pointed the wrong direction?

Did people really think the Redskins' kicker had a 60+ leg? His first kick would have cleared 60 yards easy. Hell, his 2nd kick cleared 55 easy.

The wind was obviously helping in that direction.

spurstexanstros
09-19-2010, 09:28 PM
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa because I am still screaming for a great win...save your nit picking for wednesday.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh

BullNation4Life
09-19-2010, 09:29 PM
It was outside of Rackers' range. He'd already missed from 47, no need to try him from 55 (or whatever it was.) Better to pin the Skins back and trust our defense.

Now, Turk had a baaaaaaad punt, but it turned out OK because Kubes pulled a perfect Ice job.

Not to mention Rackers was not 100% today due to illness....

barrett
09-19-2010, 09:45 PM
I can't help but introduce the debate. What would you have done if you were Kubiak in that situation (http://www.texansbullblog.com/texans-bull-blog-asks/news/)?

It was 4th and 4 from the 40 yard line in sudden death overtime. Rackers is your short legged kicker who missed one earlier in the game. Arian Foster and the OLine ran all over the Colts 7 days ago but as been somewhat forgotten in this game. Your defense has shut out the ‘Skins since the middle of the 4th quarter. Matt Schaub and Co. were the most prolific offense in the NFL last year. Do you go for the first down? If you don’t get it the ‘Skins get the ball at or near their 40 yard line. If you do get it then 1st and 10 from inside Neil Rackers range.

There's obviously the safe call which is to punt and play defense. But there's also the kill call which is to go for it. Do you run it? Do you pass it? Do you punt? Do you fake it?...

Either way, it was damn impressive on all counts the way this team pulled through.

The debate I've been having has to do with what was Gary thinking? Was he thinking "I don't have the confidence in my offense to get 4 yards." Was he thinking "I've got confidence in my D to get it done." Was it something else?

What would you be thinking in that instant?

TexansForTheW
09-19-2010, 09:49 PM
A+

Anyone remember Rackers 53 yarder in preseason? Good by about 6 inches. He said there was also a breeze blowing against the kicker. Good call. The timeout was a game saver, just like the one on the onside kick last week. And the most important thing, he punted the ball and it is something that will make his defensive players rally around him more. We are lucky to have a team that plays as ONE. The players fully support Gary, and if they do, I do as well.

CloakNNNdagger
09-19-2010, 09:54 PM
He got that most important win today. I give him an A- only because I couldn't understand why at the end of the 4th quarter, he didn't have Foster running to get us those extra few yards closer to get the FG, and why the 2-minute time management by him or Schaub was so sluggish and disorganized appearing.

ziggy29
09-19-2010, 09:55 PM

An ice job that was popularized by none other than Mike Shanahan himself, when he was in Denver. Nice karma there.

Lucky
09-19-2010, 09:59 PM
I can't help but introduce the debate. What would you have done if you were Kubiak in that situation (http://www.texansbullblog.com/texans-bull-blog-asks/news/)?

What would you be thinking in that instant?
I was thinking "Go for the 1st down". But, Kubiak's call would have been fine if he had a punter who could put the ball inside the 10. He doesn't have that punter, and everyone should know that by now.

I want to stay positive. But if I were Kubiak, I'd be having punter tryouts on Monday.

hradhak
09-19-2010, 09:59 PM
I'd say his coaching in the first half was probably a C, but he did something Vince Lombardiesque at the half to keep this team going. No one on the team mailed it in, and we came out looking sharp in the second half. Schaub, Andre, Kevin Walter, Mario, Pollard, played different games in the second half.

This team definitely showed that they aren't going to quit, and we are something to be reckoned with.

pbat488
09-19-2010, 10:00 PM
My brother was at game with his girlfriend (who's family has had season tickets to 'Skins games for over 30 years) and he said the wind was going against us in OT when I sent a 'wtf?!' text to him after that call.

Also, his call really looked worse because Turk totally blew that punt and put them out to the 20; if we down that near the 10 and stop them we're looking at getting the ball back around our 30 yard line from a punt with room to return.

PapaL
09-19-2010, 10:01 PM
Last week he showed balls when we went for it on 4th down. I thought overtime was another time to show faith in your team and for it.

Regardless, we won. I don't give a damn!

Buffi2
09-19-2010, 10:12 PM
A - we won. If we lose - I'll dissect Kubiak's decisions. Until then, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Why complain? We won. We've been complaining for years - I, for one, will enjoy winning for a change.

gary
09-19-2010, 10:27 PM
We won and with the way the Cowboys are playing which is not their best we have a great chance to go 3-0 next week? Should Gary improve? Yes, but the fact is after the first half everyone knew they had to step up their game and they did so.

TexCanada
09-19-2010, 10:30 PM
A - we won. If we lose - I'll dissect Kubiak's decisions. Until then, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Why complain? We won. We've been complaining for years - I, for one, will enjoy winning for a change.

Can't argue logic like this. I agree.

Ryan
09-19-2010, 10:50 PM
If we would have lost the game, it would have been an F-. I thought in overtime he didn't show enough confidence in Rackers, but it did show he had the confidence in the defense to make the stop, which i do like. There were some WTF calls on offense today, so for that i'll give him a B-.

DownByContact
09-19-2010, 10:57 PM
Why is it that when players do something special its on the players and the coach had nothing to do with it. But when players do something wrong like fumbling, interception, etc. it's on the coach for not coaching the player correctly.

Having that said I think kubes did alright I give it B+ for the fact that we won and the timeout to ice the kicker.

thunderkyss
09-19-2010, 10:58 PM
A+

We came from 17 points down to win our first ever OT game.

on the road.

A+

wagonhed
09-19-2010, 11:01 PM
A. I thought it took more cojones punting the ball in OT than it did going for the kick. He put his trust in our D.

beerlover
09-19-2010, 11:07 PM
I give Gary Kubiak an "A" for nipping nepotism in the bud, little shanahan joining dad just as soon as he got another franchise to run leaving coach Kubiak looking for another OC, fact be told hiring Dennison was another upgrade to a coaching staff who helps Gary now win these games he failed to in the past. The Texans play is more cohesive, fluid that's the only way you can turn around games like this & come out on top. Kuddo's for Kubiak & his entire staff.

steelbtexan
09-19-2010, 11:22 PM
1st half = D, Team wasn't ready to play

2nd half = A+, Team didn't quit and Kubes and staff made some nice adjustments. The secondary concerns me.

Overall I'd give the entire coaching staff a B+.

thunderkyss
09-19-2010, 11:27 PM
I give Gary Kubiak an "A" for nipping nepotism in the bud, little shanahan joining dad just as soon as he got another franchise to run leaving coach Kubiak looking for another OC, fact be told hiring Dennison was another upgrade to a coaching staff who helps Gary now win these games he failed to in the past. The Texans play is more cohesive, fluid that's the only way you can turn around games like this & come out on top. Kuddo's for Kubiak & his entire staff.

You don't think Kyle put together a good game?

psshh..

I was never a fan of his while he was here. I felt he kept Kubiak from being a head coach, I agree Dennison is an upgrade.....

But Kyle put together a hell of a game against us.

Marcus
09-19-2010, 11:34 PM

I don't understand why you don't understand.

Going for the FG in that situation would have been the wrong move. Miss a 50+ yard field goal in that situation and you set the other team up in excellent field postion with only 20 or so yards to go for their own field goal. With the way McNabb was moving the ball, that would have been really stupid.

mattieuk
09-19-2010, 11:40 PM
A. I thought it took more cojones punting the ball in OT than it did going for the kick. He put his trust in our D.

Don't buy this.

Ok, I'm not ready to decide whether I think GK did a great or bad job tonight, but his move was not trust in his D.

Trust in his D, in that case would have been "yea, we'll kick the FG, and if we miss, who gives a damn, we'll three and out them anyway!". What he did was "our D needs something more to work with, than twenty yards before field goal range...lets get Turk to give them a hand."

Whether it was the right decision or not, I don't know yet, I'm still brain scrambled from the game.

Marcus
09-19-2010, 11:41 PM
There is a difference between aggressive and foolhardy.

I guess some people just want to "throw it long" on every play.:rolleyes:

keyser
09-19-2010, 11:44 PM
I'll give him a B.

I actually don't have a problem with his playcalling later in the game. End of 4th quarter - no sense in pushing a low chance of success with high risk plan (see the end of the first half in last week's Redskins-Cowboys game!). Punting in OT - I can see the arguments either way, so I won't hold that against him, and in fact, I'd have to say that in retrospect he made the right choice (i.e. the one that led to victory). Icing the kicker obviously was a great call.

However, at the beginning of the game, we had a team coming out flat and seemingly unprepared for the Redskins, on both offense and defense. They were lucky to hold them to FGs on the first two drives. I felt the running game was really underutilized at the begining (and, yes, I understand about the script). I can't give Kubiak an "A" when the team seemed so unprepared at the beginning of the game. So, he gets a B - a bit better than just acceptable, but not without problems.

Vinnie
09-19-2010, 11:49 PM
You don't think Kyle put together a good game?

psshh..

I was never a fan of his while he was here. I felt he kept Kubiak from being a head coach, I agree Dennison is an upgrade.....

But Kyle put together a hell of a game against us.

Damn straight! The Skins will be a force this year, we're lucky we caught them early. I'm not being facetious.

Marcus
09-19-2010, 11:51 PM
Why is it that when players do something special its on the players and the coach had nothing to do with it. But when players do something wrong like fumbling, interception, etc. it's on the coach for not coaching the player correctly.

That is THE question i have been asking ever since I came on this these message boards 9, (or is it 10) years ago.

I've come to the conclusion that "fans" just have a general dislike of any coach of their "beloved" football team.

BullNation4Life
09-19-2010, 11:58 PM
That is THE question i have been asking ever since I came on this these message boards 9, (or is it 10) years ago.

I've come to the conclusion that "fans" just have a general dislike of any coach of their "beloved" football team.

It's the ol' saying..."Love em' when they win, hate'em when they lose" that is typical Houston fanbase...

barrett
09-20-2010, 12:12 AM

I'm the first one to admit that not only do I like Gary Kubiak as the head coach of the Texans. I like everything I know about him as a man. He seems to me to be everything I would want in a coach of my favorite team.

I'm one of, if not the biggest supporters of Kubiak. You can include "The Trinity" in that as well. Kubiak, McNair and Smith all posess life philosophies that center around honesty and integrity. There's nothing wrong with that. Kubiak is obviously a brilliant offensive mind. I think people are finally starting to see that he is an exceptional leader too. He has a simplicity to him that I think annoys some fans but at the end of the day his job is to lead 53 guys (and an organization as a whole in tow) to be successful. He's doing that. Not at the pace that some would like but the fact that he's doing it the right way, with the above mentioned values as his foundation makes him almostly laughably easy to root for. It's that integrity that just oozes out of him that I think motivates guys to fight for him until the very end.

Most of the 31 other teams would would give anything to have the kind of foundation that this team is built on. I take so much pride in rooting for this organization. Even before I root for the football team.

I love being a Houston Texans fan.

Houston_Fanatic
09-20-2010, 12:12 AM
I was ready to throw my remote at the TV when he called for a punt - especially when Turk sent it sailing into the endzone instead of pinning them deep. Kubiak looked pretty disgusted after the punt.

But, I won't complain and nitpick his decisions because the football Gods were smiling on us today. :hurrah:

Even the icing the kicker that everyone is calling brilliant is a crap shoot. If he had missed the first one and made the second kick, everyone would be crucifying him for a bone-headed decision LOL.

I am so proud of my team for not giving up that I can't stand it. No grades or criticism from me - I am enjoying the W.
:fans:

BullNation4Life
09-20-2010, 12:18 AM
Wasn't there a game a couple of years ago where Shanahan, while in Denver, called a timeout to ice the kicker and he missed it and the next one the kicker made it? can't remember....

mexican_texan
09-20-2010, 12:43 AM
Wasn't there a game a couple of years ago where Shanahan, while in Denver, called a timeout to ice the kicker and he missed it and the next one the kicker made it? can't remember....

I remember seeing that in a playoff game.

BigBull17
09-20-2010, 01:16 AM
My only beef is the lack of screens and draws. The SKins were so blitz happy and we really didn't try and burn em.

Lucky
09-20-2010, 01:49 AM
My only beef is the lack of screens and draws. The SKins were so blitz happy and we really didn't try and burn em.
There was the screen to Foster that went for 50 yards. And the Texans did try several of the WR screens, but couldn't pop them. My main problem was waiting so long to go to the run. But I can't expect perfection.

Just wins.

Hookem Horns
09-20-2010, 02:03 AM
Damn straight! The Skins will be a force this year, we're lucky we caught them early. I'm not being facetious.

I agree, they impressed me today. They could easily win the NFC East this year with the other 3 teams having issues. Though if the Eagles keep starting Vick they are going to be better than most thought.

Goatcheese
09-20-2010, 02:10 AM
Saw this over on houtex forums from thajokaa and had to share:

http://i54.tinypic.com/2i1np4y.jpg

Mailman
09-20-2010, 02:43 AM
I had to go to work just before the start of the second half. I was only able to watch the rest of the game with one eye, but I got to see most of it, and I was closely watching when Kubes made that fateful decision to punt instead of kicking the FG.

I said out loud to my coworkers, "just punt the football!" Nobody agreed with me, but I knew there was virtually no chance Rackers would hit it from that distance and that the safer play on the road was to try and pin the opposition deep. (Sadly, Turk effed it up with a horrible punt). I said it then and I'll say it now -- GREAT CALL, GARY!

That is a coach that knows his team. He knew his kicker didn't have it in him to hit that one with the game on the line, and he knew his defense had it in them to stop the Redskins from scoring the winning points.

What I'm having difficulty understanding is the pathetic hand-wringing from Texans fans who should be ecstatic about winning a tough OT game on the road and instead want to use it as an opportunity to nitpick the head coach.

Seriously? I mean, have y'all not watched this team over the years? How many times have we lined up for big, long important kicks only for the fans to get kicked in the gut. I KNEW with every cell in my brain that there was NO F'N WAY Rackers would've hit that FG. Maybe that was just the pessimist in me, but I'm pretty positive about my Htown sports teams in general, so I prefer to think I was being rational and realistic. Objectively, the odds of Rackers nailing that long 50+ yd FG for the win on the road were not good. Surely I'm not the only one who thought that?

Play it safe, I thought. Punt and make them work. In the end it was the correct decision and Kubiak should get credit for it.

powerfuldragon
09-20-2010, 02:46 AM
B- because B starts Booo.

76Texan
09-20-2010, 03:31 AM
Saw this over on houtex forums from thajokaa and had to share:

http://i54.tinypic.com/2i1np4y.jpg
LOL! :spit:

76Texan
09-20-2010, 03:49 AM
There's pros and cons about whether the Texans should have gone for it or not, but definitely, a FG try in that situation is the lowest percentage play (after considering everything discussed in this thread).

Punting the ball, IMO, is not only a safe play, but also the highest percentage play.

1. You have the chance to pin the opponent deep in their territory (the ST team has its chance to contribute to the team).

2. You don't put pressure on the offense (avoiding a sack, a fumble, or a RB losing yardage) and giving good field position to the opponent (even if it was just an incompletion).
This would rouse up the dormant crowd, which would give the opponent some momentum.

3. You give the defense a chance to contribute without putting pressure on them (no short field).

Sounds like a very high percentage play to me, and not just playing it safe.

Corrosion
09-20-2010, 11:45 AM

I have to agree with the bold - Rackers had already missed one earlier and kicking a 52 yarder into the wind on grass is no small task.

Would have liked for Turk to have burried the Skins inside the 5 .... Then no one is questioning the decision .

Outside of the blocked FG by Pollard , the Texans ST was pretty bad Sunday.

HJam72
09-20-2010, 11:48 AM
I think Schaub should learn to pose as a punter.

Also, another 5 yard delay-of-game wouldn't have hurt. Turk is just bad at those short punts. 'Course he missed it by 15 yds. anyway, LOL.

dream_team
09-20-2010, 12:06 PM
Did anyone else notice after the 3rd down play, Rackers didn't even put on his helmet? He didn't even look surprised or angry at the decision. It's as if he knew his number wasn't going to be called.

Before a game, the kickers usually go out and kick a few. They usually gauge how far their limits are that day. He also passed kidney stones earlier that week. Now I don't know if that affected him at all, but I wouldn't be surprised if he told Kubiak before the game started that anything over 50 is probably out of his range.

But what made the decision look even worse is the fact that Turk had a horrible punt.

In my mind, Kubiak made the right call. And if you don't agree with that call, all you have to do is look at the final scoreboard.

Marcus
09-20-2010, 12:22 PM
I had to go to work just before the start of the second half. I was only able to watch the rest of the game with one eye, but I got to see most of it, and I was closely watching when Kubes made that fateful decision to punt instead of kicking the FG.

I said out loud to my coworkers, "just punt the football!" Nobody agreed with me, but I knew there was virtually no chance Rackers would hit it from that distance and that the safer play on the road was to try and pin the opposition deep. (Sadly, Turk effed it up with a horrible punt). I said it then and I'll say it now -- GREAT CALL, GARY!

That is a coach that knows his team. He knew his kicker didn't have it in him to hit that one with the game on the line, and he knew his defense had it in them to stop the Redskins from scoring the winning points.

What I'm having difficulty understanding is the pathetic hand-wringing from Texans fans who should be ecstatic about winning a tough OT game on the road and instead want to use it as an opportunity to nitpick the head coach.

Seriously? I mean, have y'all not watched this team over the years? How many times have we lined up for big, long important kicks only for the fans to get kicked in the gut. I KNEW with every cell in my brain that there was NO F'N WAY Rackers would've hit that FG. Maybe that was just the pessimist in me, but I'm pretty positive about my Htown sports teams in general, so I prefer to think I was being rational and realistic. Objectively, the odds of Rackers nailing that long 50+ yd FG for the win on the road were not good. Surely I'm not the only one who thought that?

Play it safe, I thought. Punt and make them work. In the end it was the correct decision and Kubiak should get credit for it.

This!

Can you imagine the bullshit if he attempted 50+ yarder against the wind and missed, and McNabb moved the ball only 20 yards and they kick the winning FG?

Can you imagine all the shit that would rain down on his head?

I can . . . very well.

The Pencil Neck
09-20-2010, 12:52 PM
Personally, I would have preferred to run some more prior to that punt. I think Arian could have picked up that first down and put us in better field position. BUT... when it came to the kick, I think the punt was the only logical choice. Going for a field goal in that situation is like rolling the dice. I don't want to gamble a game away on a chance that has low probability.

Here's what Kubes said on HT.com.

(on why he didn't attempt the 52-yard field goal in overtime) "There was a little breeze coming that way on that end. If you miss that, they’ve got to go 20 yards and beat us. I just felt good – I thought our defense had made a few nice stops in the fourth quarter. I expected us to pin them. We didn’t do it. It just worked out. It’s one of those things, if it doesn’t work out, it’s not good. But it worked out."

(on if K Neil Rackers didn't feel comfortable kicking the field goal) "No, he said, ‘Coach, I’m OK. I’m good.’ But there’s obviously a little breeze coming from that end…I just had to go with my gut. It worked out today."

(on K Neil Rackers) "He’s fine. He’s OK. He just told me after the game, ‘You know I would’ve made that?’ I said, ‘Well, now you tell me. You didn’t come tell me before.’"

The Pencil Neck
09-20-2010, 01:04 PM
Duplicated post.

The Pencil Neck
09-20-2010, 01:36 PM
triplicated message.

Beer and Metal
09-20-2010, 01:40 PM
I'll give him an A. It seems we should have come off the script earlier.

For the overtime punt, I thought that was(part of) a brilliant strategy. If we had tried for the FG, Shanny would have definitely iced Rackers, and I think Kubes knew it.

Did you see the look on Shanny's face when Kubiak iced Gano? It looked like he was making up new curse words in his head. Kubes got into Shanny's head. If he would have tried to ice Rackers on that last field goal, it would have made him look like a copy-cat, and really stooopid when we made it.

gtexan02
09-20-2010, 01:45 PM
I just wanted to say that there was virtually no wind at field level, and up in the stands, the wind was going with the Texans

Dutchrudder
09-20-2010, 04:55 PM
As much as I didn't want us to punt the ball, it turned out to be the right call. It made the Redskins start at their own 20 instead of the 37. If the Skins had that extra 17 yards or so, there is no doubt that they make the field goal on that drive with a significantly shorter distance.

I still say going for it on 4th and 4 is the right call, they weren't stopping our short passes at all towards the end of the game.

Corrosion
09-22-2010, 05:27 AM
I just wanted to say that there was virtually no wind at field level, and up in the stands, the wind was going with the Texans

According to Kubiak ..... Rackers kickoffs to that end of the field were much shorter than in the other direction. I'll go back and watch those particular plays (from both ends) just to confirm it.

infantrycak
09-22-2010, 11:48 AM

Are you asserting that the Skins chose to be into the wind? C'mon, that makes no sense.

gtexan02
09-22-2010, 11:52 AM
Are you asserting that the Skins chose to be into the wind? C'mon, that makes no sense.

Like i said, there was no wind at field level. There are flags around the field, and flags at the top of the stadium.

The ones at the top of the stadium (in the stands) were blowing with the texans. The ones at field level weren't moving at all.

It is what it is. I saw it with my own eyes, and was surprised as well

Look at that flags on the goalposts:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81aabd67/Texans-game-winning-OT-field-goal

They are barely moving at all, but the slight gusts are going with the Texans

gtexan02
09-22-2010, 11:53 AM
According to Kubiak ..... Rackers kickoffs to that end of the field were much shorter than in the other direction. I'll go back and watch those particular plays (from both ends) just to confirm it.

If Im not mistaken, the Redskins started the game going the direction that the Texans finished it in OT. Rackers first kick went for a touchback, IIRC.

I will say his trajectory looked somewhat low to me, but that might have been because I was way, way high in the stands

hradhak
09-22-2010, 11:55 AM
On SR610 Rackers said that one of his kickoffs came off the toe and that's why it was so short.

I've also seen Rackers in pre-game warmups, he really becomes inconsistent at the 50+ yard mark. I think Kubiak made the right decision, and I think he was being diplomatic with the press

Ckw
09-22-2010, 12:22 PM
I give him a solid B. Kubiak got an A+ last week, but this week the team just looked flat to open the game. I did a great job turning things around in the second half and thus took himself from a D to an A, but then his playcalling in OT drops him to a B. The chance of converting on that 4th and 4 are supposedly around 55% and the way we were playing in the second half, I don't think they could have stopped us.

Gary got LUCKY that we won the game. There were numerous missed opportunities by the Redskins and some big time breaks for us. We did just enough right to win the game. That is why I just cannot give Kubiak anymore than a B. Let's hope we look better this week.