PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Aaron Schobel?

Gymrat2005
09-19-2010, 09:46 AM
Barwin gets injured and Schobel didnt jump all over it?

I thought their was a period of 4-5 days a couple weeks ago where we were going to sign this guy?

What ever happened?

Playmaker
09-19-2010, 09:58 AM
Don't know who Brian Schobel is, the guy the Texans wanted is Aaron Schobel.

HouSportsWriter
09-19-2010, 10:03 AM
:facepalm:

Pollardized
09-19-2010, 10:05 AM
I hear he's doing pretty well. Here's some info:

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/dir/Brian/Schobel

http://media.linkedin.com/mpr/mpr/shrink_80_80/p/2/000/062/21f/30242c5.jpg

HouSportsWriter
09-19-2010, 10:08 AM
http://www.twolvesblog.com/images/stories/wh-double-facepalm.jpg

Pantherstang84
09-19-2010, 10:31 AM
Uh Oh (http://ia341333.us.archive.org/3/items/That_Sound_You_Hear_When_You_Lose_On_The_Price_Is_ Right/Price_Is_Right_loser_clip.wav)

IBleedTexans
09-19-2010, 10:47 AM
:facepalm:

When jacoby gives you the facepalm you know its well deserved

kiwitexansfan
09-19-2010, 11:29 AM
He wanted more money than the Texans thought he was worth so they went elsewhere.

drewmar74
09-19-2010, 01:04 PM
http://img.jesper.nu/view/900/fail28.jpg

jshabang
09-19-2010, 01:20 PM
:clap::bravo::perfect10::rofl:

Yankee_In_TX
09-19-2010, 01:37 PM
:kitten:

GP
09-19-2010, 02:29 PM
(sigh)

(staring at computer screen)

(sigh)

FirstTexansFan
09-19-2010, 02:32 PM
Barwin gets injured and Schobel didnt jump all over it?

I thought their was a period of 4-5 days a couple weeks ago where we were going to sign this guy?

What ever happened?

Vince don't you have a game to play today, quit posting here, we didn't draft ya, get over it :)

Pollardized
09-19-2010, 03:11 PM
Vince don't you have a game to play today, quit posting here, we didn't draft ya, get over it :)

LMAO!!!!!

Wait, vince doesn't know how to used a computer.....:mcnugget:

FirstTexansFan
09-19-2010, 03:12 PM
LMAO!!!!!

Wait, vince doesn't know how to used a computer.....:mcnugget:

Watching the Steeler/Titan game right now, apparently he doesn't know how to play NFL QB either... :)

Gymrat2005
09-19-2010, 03:26 PM
Don't know who Brian Schobel is, the guy the Texans wanted is Aaron Schobel.

my bad, Aaron Schobel.

TexansForTheW
09-23-2010, 07:36 PM
According to someone on the Houston Texans Home Website.......I cant believe I am actually posting this..........................................via 24 minutes ago

As promised this is my last post and the timing couldn't be better. First, I am a HUGE Texan fan and have been from day one, but as I stated before, I have only one purpose in this section.

My final comments regarding this thread is that there will be significant news concerning Aaron Schobel and the Texans late Monday afternoon or Tuesday morning after the Cowboy game. I am very hopeful everything "workout" (yes, I misspelled it) and we add another veteran pass rusher.

I apologize for being ambiguous but there are obvious reasons for it.

Go Texans....

TexansForTheW
09-23-2010, 07:39 PM
If true, looks like Aaron is on the outside looking to see if this team is for real. I would love to have that guy, could be Bernard Pollard 2.0 on the D-Line. Had 10 sacks last year getting doubled. Single coverage, we would have a dominating pass rush.

b0ng
09-23-2010, 07:42 PM
According to someone on the Houston Texans Home Website.......I cant believe I am actually posting this..........................................via 24 minutes ago

As promised this is my last post and the timing couldn't be better. First, I am a HUGE Texan fan and have been from day one, but as I stated before, I have only one purpose in this section.

My final comments regarding this thread is that there will be significant news concerning Aaron Schobel and the Texans late Monday afternoon or Tuesday morning after the Cowboy game. I am very hopeful everything "workout" (yes, I misspelled it) and we add another veteran pass rusher.

Go Texans....

http://imgur.com/Yxjti.jpg

TexansFanatic
09-23-2010, 07:51 PM
I don't see how he could turn down a few million dollars to play for what is nearly his hometown team and be a part of a historic playoff run.

He might end up regretting it for the rest of his life if he doesn't jump aboard.

Ryan
09-23-2010, 07:57 PM
I don't see how he could turn down a few million dollars to play for what is nearly his hometown team and be a part of a historic playoff run.

He might end up regretting it for the rest of his life if he doesn't jump aboard.

Easy there, we are gonna need to get a 3rd win before we start thinking historic playoff runs.

Big Lou
09-23-2010, 08:02 PM

Go Texans....

I just read that on the mothership. Wonder if that guys legit and has inside info? What would his angle be, why is he shedding light on this? Or is he just pulling our chain!!!! He is a newer contributer so could be BS..... Aaron is that you??????????

Texan_Bill
09-23-2010, 08:10 PM
Beyond the normal :facepalm: This deserves the :wadepalm:

TexansFanatic
09-23-2010, 08:10 PM
Easy there, we are gonna need to get a 3rd win before we start thinking historic playoff runs.

Aaron? Is that you?

:shades:

TexansForTheW
09-23-2010, 08:12 PM
I guess the guy was implying that he has a workout on Monday or Tuesday. Im sure the Texans realize they need a real replacement for Barwin to wreck shop on the rest of the AFC South.

I am curious to see what happens.

b0ng
09-23-2010, 08:45 PM
I guess the guy was implying that he has a workout on Monday or Tuesday. Im sure the Texans realize they need a real replacement for Barwin to wreck shop on the rest of the AFC South.

My guess would be. . . "nothing".

GNTLEWOLF
09-24-2010, 02:14 AM

Bong...I'm afraid I am going to have to agree with you...:headhurts:

badboy
09-24-2010, 01:49 PM
As someone once said " Dream on! Dream until your dreams come true."

Texan_Bill
09-24-2010, 01:53 PM

Nothing??? Hell, he's eating his ass off at Schobel's Restaraunt in Columbus!

http://www.schobelsrestaurant.com/

ChampionTexan
09-24-2010, 01:59 PM

While I was hoping to see Schobel as a Texan prior to Barwin even getting hurt, I think that Denney and Ogunleye are about as real as your going to get when it comes to in-season replacements.

Norg
09-24-2010, 02:27 PM
Teh F happend to

Justin Griffith FB

James Casey FB/TE

and Andre Davis WR

u telling me Leech is our only FB right now thats not good he going to get injured if this keeps up

b0ng
09-24-2010, 03:55 PM
Teh F happend to

Justin Griffith FB

James Casey FB/TE

and Andre Davis WR

u telling me Leech is our only FB right now thats not good he going to get injured if this keeps up

Monster take. Rack 'Em.

El Tejano
09-24-2010, 03:58 PM
If true, looks like Aaron is on the outside looking to see if this team is for real. I would love to have that guy, could be Bernard Pollard 2.0 on the D-Line. Had 10 sacks last year getting doubled. Single coverage, we would have a dominating pass rush.

More like he finally saw what all the hype was about concerning Mario (he still sucks per Mario is a litte wuss thread)

TexansForTheW
09-24-2010, 04:12 PM
The guy sounded so sure that said this. It def has me thinking a win on Sunday lands our guy.

gary
09-24-2010, 07:58 PM
A win on Sunday probaby lands Schobel here.

Brisco_County
09-24-2010, 08:03 PM
The question that keeps popping up in my mind is how out of shape he could be. When was the last time he practiced or worked out?

gary
09-24-2010, 08:06 PM
We don't know.

TexansFanatic
09-24-2010, 08:59 PM
Something tells me the kind of guy who stays so fit that he's still racking up 10 sack seasons at 32 years of age doesn't suddenly turn into a slug at 33 years of age.

gary
09-24-2010, 09:14 PM
Let's hope he sigms a team friendly deal next week.

Texan_Bill
09-24-2010, 09:18 PM
Monster take. Rack 'Em.

:spit:

False Start
09-25-2010, 10:33 AM
Beyond the normal :facepalm: This deserves the :wadepalm:

And a Rosenpalm........ http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/1336/rp4.gif

Hervoyel
09-25-2010, 11:39 AM
What I'd like to see is a thread in week 13 or 14 where the Texans are talking about clinching a playoff spot and somebody is saying "If the Texans pull this off and clinch this week then Schobel is in the bag people!"

I sense that this entire subject has been one perfectly executed trolling of the Texans fan base.

Pollardized
09-25-2010, 11:58 AM
I read on another MB that Bruce Smith is thinking about making a comback and playing for the Texans. :kitten:

Rey
09-25-2010, 12:09 PM
This Schoebel thing will be one of those things you look back on and chuckle about.

It will also be something that people incorrectly use as a reference when we are trying to sign another semi-almost retired player.

JB
09-25-2010, 12:10 PM
I read on another MB that Bruce White is thinking about making a comback and playing for the Texans. :kitten:

:thinking:

Bruce Smith?

Reggie White?

Pollardized
09-25-2010, 12:19 PM

Bruce Smith?

Reggie White?

FIXED. My bad, was reading while writing lol....

Pollardized
09-25-2010, 12:19 PM

Bruce Smith?

Reggie White?

Reggie White would be a hell of a comeback.

NitroGSXR
09-25-2010, 12:20 PM
What I'd like to see is a thread in week 13 or 14 where the Texans are talking about clinching a playoff spot and somebody is saying "If the Texans pull this off and clinch this week then Schobel is in the bag people!"

I sense that this entire subject has been one perfectly executed trolling of the Texans fan base.
Trolling? Really? Seems a bit harsh.

I do know this much. The Texans are agressively pursuing options to our defensive line. This week alone... we have looked at Doug Washington, Boo Robinson, and Amon Gordon, all defensive ends in additon to David Viekune who is an OLB (probably to make up for Adibi's horrendous showing). I'm sure Schobel's on their minds. Just Rick Smith efficiently running an NFL team is what's happening here. I expect no less. As a fan though... all we can do is hope we're all heard.

False Start
09-25-2010, 01:09 PM
Maybe they should bring back Chris Dishman, and teach him how not to hold the ball behind showboating him before he completes the pick 6. :headhurts:

Big Lou
09-25-2010, 05:49 PM
Maybe they should bring back Chris Dishman, and teach him how not to hold the ball behind showboating him before he completes the pick 6. :headhurts:

Chris Dishman is scheduled for a work out on Monday to bolster the Texans secondary according to a source close to the situation.......

Jeff S.
09-25-2010, 07:31 PM
Chris Dishman is scheduled for a work out on Monday to bolster the Texans secondary according to a source close to the situation.......

Anyone have Curley Culp's number?

Hervoyel
09-25-2010, 08:20 PM
Trolling? Really? Seems a bit harsh.

I do know this much. The Texans are agressively pursuing options to our defensive line. This week alone... we have looked at Doug Washington, Boo Robinson, and Amon Gordon, all defensive ends in additon to David Viekune who is an OLB (probably to make up for Adibi's horrendous showing). I'm sure Schobel's on their minds. Just Rick Smith efficiently running an NFL team is what's happening here. I expect no less. As a fan though... all we can do is hope we're all heard.

Nothing harsh there. Think of trolling in an "amusing" way. I just think he's really retired and no amount of talk or money will get him back on a football field. I think he's kicking back and enjoying not being an NFL football player.

I bet he's more likely to play next year or the year after than he is right now. Then he may actually start missing it. Right now he's enjoying not living by a schedule or practicing all the time. Not being coached in his own words.

hradhak
09-25-2010, 10:54 PM
I think if Schobel were going to play, he would have signed between the pre-season and the regular season. That way he could have avoided the 2 a days etc. and then started playing when he was ready. I don't think it;s going to happen, although I would love to see him in a Texan uniform, especially tomorrow.

Thorn
09-25-2010, 10:58 PM

I may be a tad drunk, but I'm not so sure I disagree with this. LOL

disaacks3
09-25-2010, 11:03 PM
Reggie White would be a hell of a comeback.

I was thinking him and Derrick Thomas.

JB
09-25-2010, 11:11 PM
I was thinking him and Derrick Thomas.

Might as well put in Dr. Doom...

Thorn
09-25-2010, 11:15 PM
Might as well put in Dr. Doom...

Robert Brazile should be in the goddamn HOF.

JB
09-25-2010, 11:19 PM
Robert Brazile should be in the goddamn HOF.

Damn straight! It's a travesty that he's not. If he would have played in NY or Chi or LA, he would have been in years ago...

edit: Or in Pitt.

TexansForTheW
09-25-2010, 11:24 PM
http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=193255

I mean this is getting pretty interesting.

Thorn
09-25-2010, 11:26 PM
http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=193255

I mean this is getting pretty interesting.

a comment from the article: (LOL)

If John McClain said it WOULD happen. That most assuredly means it will NOT happen. Whatever that guy reports is wrong 90% of the time.

TexansForTheW
09-25-2010, 11:31 PM
I saw that comment. I may be one of the few that actually think Schobel will be a Texan pretty soon. All the information seems to point that way. I don't know, I am one to trust people so that is why I feel the way I do.

THE NFL
09-25-2010, 11:55 PM
This Schobel thing is now officially worse than Haynesworth being traded back to the Titans crap thats been going on all year.

PockyAF
09-27-2010, 12:59 PM
So I guess that guy on the "official" Texans board wasn't full of shit after all.

I'm hearing from more and more sources to keep an eye on Schobel getting in shape to come back and play. Nothing confirmed but look out

The dude on the other board was saying how there will be "significant news" about the Schobel-Texans progress either tonight or tomorrow morning.

El Tejano
09-27-2010, 01:02 PM
definetly need him. Smith is playing good, don't get me wrong but nobody is worried about him getting to their QB.

Jeff S.
09-27-2010, 01:44 PM
So I guess that guy on the "official" Texans board wasn't full of shit after all.

The dude on the other board was saying how there will be "significant news" about the Schobel-Texans progress either tonight or tomorrow morning.

Jeez, we'll never hear the end of it if that guy turns out to be right. I won't mind though.

awtysst
09-27-2010, 08:17 PM
I will believe it when i see him lining up at DE.

TexansForTheW
09-28-2010, 12:16 AM
That guy on the other board was probably John Mclain. Thats my guess.

TexansForTheW
09-28-2010, 12:23 AM
InTheKnow on there board also said that Aaron was at Reliant today. I think its 60/40 he will be a Texan.

Jeff S.
09-28-2010, 12:35 AM
InTheKnow on there board also said that Aaron was at Reliant today. I think its 60/40 he will be a Texan.

If he really was at Reliant, why only 60/40? To me, if he's actually at the facility, that would seem pretty momentous, as opposed to dealing through his agent, etc. </speculation>

TexansForTheW
09-28-2010, 12:39 AM
Pretty much bc im 60/40 on believing what INTHEKNOW has to say. I agree though.

El Tejano
09-28-2010, 02:22 PM
He's there because he wants to see about getting a vendor spot for his restaraunt at the stadium so he can charge outrageous amounts of money for a baked potato.

NitroGSXR
09-28-2010, 02:28 PM
He's there because he wants to see about getting a vendor spot for his restaraunt at the stadium so he can charge outrageous amounts of money for a baked potato.
Don't forget crummy. a crummy baked potato.

TexansFanatic
09-28-2010, 02:40 PM
A couple of posters on Orangebloods.com are saying Schobel was indeed at Reliant yesterday but walked away when the team offered him $2.5 million.

It is hard for me to believe Schobel was able to come and go without one single report from ESPN or Rotoworld, etc.

Who knows....

Texan_Bill
09-28-2010, 02:45 PM

:spit:

No More 8-8's
09-28-2010, 03:27 PM
According to LZ latest blog on chron.com, he says that the rumor in Columbus is that he is working out and training hard.

houstonspartan
09-28-2010, 03:32 PM
He worked out, but it's a no-go.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7221924.html

J_R
09-28-2010, 03:32 PM
Not happening.

After weeks of speculation that he might come out of retirement, defensive end Aaron Schobel worked out for the Texans but will not be signing with the team.
Schobel, 33, and the Texans could not come to a contract agreement, so he will remain retired in Columbus, about an hour west of Houston.

htownballa23
09-28-2010, 03:33 PM
After weeks of speculation that he might come out of retirement, defensive end Aaron Schobel worked out for the Texans but will not be signing with the team.

Schobel, 33, and the Texans could not come to a contract agreement, so he will remain retired in Columbus, about an hour west of Houston.

euro-Texan
09-28-2010, 03:35 PM
I just heard a report from Mclain saying he did work out, but won't be signing. I guess it's a money issue

Malloy
09-28-2010, 03:35 PM
Bleh.. :(

Htownsportsfan
09-28-2010, 03:56 PM
According to reports Schobel is not in playing shape yet and would not be for another week or two. Considering pay checks are only given out for 16 weeks of the season they could not agree on compensation since he would only be a real contributor for 10 0r 11 weeks. Since its not my money I say screw it pay the man and hope like hell he can help out in a few weeks and more importantly if you make a playoff run.

Hervoyel
09-28-2010, 04:07 PM

Same link as everyone else of course. Now my thoughts on this.

Are you ****ing kidding me? We get no pressure from anyone on our team other than Mario Williams and the Texans are dicking around with this guy over some money in an uncapped year where they expect to be taken seriously as a playoff threat? They have a secondary that can't withstand more than a few seconds of scrutiny but refuse to help those guys with a better pass rush because the team is ****ing cheap?

I really didn't want to believe that money was going to be an issue here. I was wrong. The Texans are wrong. They're very wrong.

We seem fated to be fans of the best mediocrity a frugal budget can buy. Go Texans! Go the bank and get some more money to pay this guy and get him in here!

Cheap bastards own and operate this team. I really think I'm gonna be sick.

Coach Kevin
09-28-2010, 04:13 PM

Are you ****ing kidding me? We get no pressure from anyone on our team other than Mario Williams and the Texans are dicking around with this guy over some money in an uncapped year where they expect to be taken seriously as a playoff threat? They have a secondary that can't withstand more than a few seconds of scrutiny but refuse to help those guys with a better pass rush because the team is ****ing cheap?

I really didn't want to believe that money was going to be an issue here. I was wrong. The Texans are wrong. They're very wrong.

We seem fated to be fans of the best mediocrity a frugal budget can buy. Go Texans! Go the bank and get some more money to pay this guy and get him in here!

I agree with you, it is time to stop tip toeing around pool and *%**ing jump head first into this thing and try to swim with the big boys

NitroGSXR
09-28-2010, 04:14 PM
????????

I'm saddened by this news. SecondHoneymoon for president!

McNair? We're THAT close! Let's not tank the season.

*sigh*

HOU-TEX
09-28-2010, 04:27 PM

Do we know what he's asking for? Do we know what we're offering? No, we don't. The dude had a mindset for retirement and y'all want unload a dumptruck of money on him? He'd have to come to practice, get in shape and learn the playbook. Heck, it could be 2-3 more weeks before he's ready to play.

I think I'd want to know the whole story before calling out the org for not emptying it's pockets for the guy.

TexansFanatic
09-28-2010, 04:31 PM
Are you ****ing kidding me?

I don't want to believe the team is cheap. I don't want to believe they're not doing everything they can to win.

But what other conclusions am I supposed to come to when things like this happen?

We let Dunta go. Fine.

We give Leigh Bodden an easily matched contract and let the Pats re-sign him without a whimper.

We have a professional pass-rusher in our back yard and let him sit over a couple million dollars.

When do I finally have no choice but to conclude that winning isn't the most important thing to this organization?

If the Texans miss the playoffs again this year due to a handful of missed plays I can't see myself being ready to commit to another half-assed campaign run by a front office not committed to winning.

Ckw
09-28-2010, 04:32 PM
Nevermind....

The post above me did a good enough job granted Bodden would have been a failed signing considering what happened. But hey, why not pull the trigger and give Oakland just about whatever they wanted for Nnamdi Asomugha. And now, why not pull the trigger and give Schobel WHATEVER he wants for ONE season?!?!

NitroGSXR
09-28-2010, 04:35 PM
Do we know what he's asking for? Do we know what we're offering? No, we don't. The dude had a mindset for retirement and y'all want unload a dumptruck of money on him? He'd have to come to practice, get in shape and learn the playbook. Heck, it could be 2-3 more weeks before he's ready to play.

I think I'd want to know the whole story before calling out the org for not emptying it's pockets for the guy.

Why though? They have no problem getting us fans to empty our pockets.

I'm sure he wants exactly what he was going to make with Buffalo. I heard he was offered 2.5 from the other website. I'm inclined to give that source a smidgen of benefit of doubt. That number was posted before this story broke this am.

Somebody's intheknow over there.

Hervoyel

I might too if this hadn't been going on for weeks and weeks all the way back to training camp. We lost Conner Barwin 2 and a half weeks ago and rushed off to the bargain bin to see what was left over. We know this year is uncapped correct? We know this guy can produce. As someone said not long ago in another thread "I don't think 33 year olds who lead their teams in sacks year in and year out are going to turn into fat out-of-shape blobs overnight. So he takes a couple of weeks to get ready, no big deal. If they'd gotten on the ball with this when Barwin went down he might have been playing against Dallas and would be making a difference for us right now.

This organization never empties it's pockets for anyone short of AJ (which I do not object to in the slightest, don't know how anyone could). They act like Drayton McClane being asked to go sign expensive free agent pitching after Drabek and Swindell washed out. They act like the only good expensive free-agent is one that some other team signed. They have no running backs last year, they let Benson walk because they're cheap mother****ers. They have no pass rush this year and they make seemingly no effort to pursue a sack master in their own back yard because they're cheap mother****ers.

It's not easy to hide your nature once you've demonstrated it over and over again. The Texans are cheap and short-sighted.

Thorn

qft

Ckw
09-28-2010, 04:37 PM
I might too if this hadn't been going on for weeks and weeks all the way back to training camp. We lost Conner Barwin 2 and a half weeks ago and rushed off to the bargain bin to see what was left over. We know this year is uncapped correct? We know this guy can produce. As someone said not long ago in another thread "I don't think 33 year olds who lead their teams in sacks year in and year out are going to turn into fat out-of-shape blobs overnight. So he takes a couple of weeks to get ready, no big deal. If they'd gotten on the ball with this when Barwin went down he might have been playing against Dallas and would be making a difference for us right now.

This organization never empties it's pockets for anyone short of AJ (which I do not object to in the slightest, don't know how anyone could). They act like Drayton McClane being asked to go sign expensive free agent pitching after Drabek and Swindell washed out. They act like the only good expensive free-agent is one that some other team signed. They have no running backs last year, they let Benson walk because they're cheap mother****ers. They have no pass rush this year and they make seemingly no effort to pursue a sack master in their own back yard because they're cheap mother****ers.

It's not easy to hide your nature once you've demonstrated it over and over again. The Texans are cheap and short-sighted.

Hard to argue with this post. I look forward to watching the valiant McNair defenders give it their all.

Hervoyel
09-28-2010, 04:41 PM
It grieves me to say that Second Honeymoon was right but I don't see any other answer after reading this. Second Honeymoon was right. The Texans and Bob McNair are cheapskates who want to run a profitable team where everyone has a warm, happy "fan/family friendly" game day at NFL World (TM).

As long as it doesn't cost Bob McNair too much money....

FirstTexansFan
09-28-2010, 04:43 PM

Must spread rep, yada yada

Ckw
09-28-2010, 04:45 PM
Must spread rep, yada yada

Got him for you.

GP
09-28-2010, 04:54 PM
It grieves me to say that Second Honeymoon was right but I don't see any other answer after reading this. Second Honeymoon was right. The Texans and Bob McNair are cheapskates who want to run a profitable team where everyone has a warm, happy "fan/family friendly" game day at NFL World (TM).

As long as it doesn't cost Bob McNair too much money....

While you're out there patting Sh on the back, I'd like to get some of that treatment too. I think DexManC and Steelbtexan are in need of being patted on the back, as well.

We've all been singing your tune for a long time now, Herv. But people are too proud to admit it. They want to wave it off and say we got us a real good owner who "brought professional football back to Houston!....Why, by gawd all you boys ought to be bowing down and licking his boots for Bob spending and risking his own money just for the CHANCE to get a team again."

Aaron Schobel might not be a sacking machine this year IF we had purchased his services. But the funny part is this: We'll never know, because they let that chance slip away. They could have front-loaded that contract up, and maybe squeezed him into a 2-year contract. But they didn't. Just like they didn't get Cedric locked up and lost him to the Bengals over a few million dollars (and probably because Cedric flat out demanded that he be given a REAL chance at taking Slaton's job from him).

Can you guys imagine if we hit this season with Foster & Benson (waved goodbye to Slaton while doing it) and then Schobel on that line with Mario?

Every day I don't see that Schobel signed an $8 million or $10 million deal is like watching the sun set and knowing that in a few hours I gotta' drive the boat back to the marina and head home and back to work the next day.

If Bob McNair can't gamble $8 million, knowing how easy it has been to get a decent amount of money out of his franchise even during the expansion years, then what else can it be? It most definitely is some person, some Smithers type of accountant pencil-pusher, who is pouring McNair some tea and keeping him informed of how much more profitable his franchise is today compared to yesterday.

It stinks to have to think like that, but what other alternative is there? They don't think a 10-sack guy, who was almost always doubled, is worth the risk?

HOU-TEX
09-28-2010, 04:54 PM
First off, I don't consider myself to be a "McNair defender" or any other references for being biased. I'm just trying be what I think is realistic.

As far as the uncapped year reference is concerned, it has been said many times that most NFL teams are still acting as a normal capped year.

2.5 million sounds like a nice chunk of change for 10-11 games, no?

Hervoyel
09-28-2010, 05:01 PM
First off, I don't consider myself to be a "McNair defender" or any other references for being biased. I'm just trying be what I think is realistic.

As far as the uncapped year reference is concerned, it has been said many times that most NFL teams are still acting as a normal capped year.

2.5 million sounds like a nice chunk of change for 10-11 games, no?

You know, how the teams are "acting" doesn't real factor in here. Not all the teams need or should sign a guy for a bunch of money to draw a double team for 10-11 weeks. We need that guy badly but won't spend the money because we're "acting" like it's a capped season?

Are we also just acting like we want to win? Are we acting like a team that actually cares about the win/loss column?

Maybe I need to quit caring and just start acting like a care about the results? Is this our GM or our owner?

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc272/Hervoyel/Jon-Lovitz-ACTING_t250.jpg

Hervoyel
09-28-2010, 05:06 PM
While you're out there patting Sh on the back, I'd like to get some of that treatment too. I think DexManC and Steelbtexan are in need of being patted on the back, as well.

We've all been singing your tune for a long time now, Herv. But people are too proud to admit it. They want to wave it off and say we got us a real good owner who "brought professional football back to Houston!....Why, by gawd all you boys ought to be bowing down and licking his boots for Bob spending and risking his own money just for the CHANCE to get a team again."

Aaron Schobel might not be a sacking machine this year IF we had purchased his services. But the funny part is this: We'll never know, because they let that chance slip away. They could have front-loaded that contract up, and maybe squeezed him into a 2-year contract. But they didn't. Just like they didn't get Cedric locked up and lost him to the Bengals over a few million dollars (and probably because Cedric flat out demanded that he be given a REAL chance at taking Slaton's job from him).

Can you guys imagine if we hit this season with Foster & Benson (waved goodbye to Slaton while doing it) and then Schobel on that line with Mario?

Every day I don't see that Schobel signed an $8 million or $10 million deal is like watching the sun set and knowing that in a few hours I gotta' drive the boat back to the marina and head home and back to work the next day.

If Bob McNair can't gamble $8 million, knowing how easy it has been to get a decent amount of money out of his franchise even during the expansion years, then what else can it be? It most definitely is some person, some Smithers type of accountant pencil-pusher, who is pouring McNair some tea and keeping him informed of how much more profitable his franchise is today compared to yesterday.

It stinks to have to think like that, but what other alternative is there? They don't think a 10-sack guy, who was almost always doubled, is worth the risk?

It isn't about pride GP. It's about wanting to believe that the people we've invested our money and emotions in are sincere as well. It's about not wanting to be let down and ultimately it's about seeing a pattern that can't be denied and accepting it.

You guys were right, all of you. He's a cheap son of a ***** who is going to inherit Bud's nickname. Welcome to the world of "Bottom-Line Bob"

CloakNNNdagger
09-28-2010, 05:08 PM

The way the Texans D as a rule (short of Mario) have been playing, how likely is it that the present cast is going to improve their performance to where it needs to be in the next month? Cushing, alone, is not going to fix our problem, especially when we meet teams with real offensive lines and a real quarterback. The way they looked out there last Sunday with all the missed assignments, most looked like they had been reading from the wrong playbook (maybe Playboy) before the game. I would bet that Schoebel could at least show his literary expertise where others have failed. Take the money that fans were screwed out of during the sorry excuse for a game Sunday, and put it into the pocket of someone who has a decent chance of helping to avoid a repeat performance down the line when things get critical.

HOU-TEX
09-28-2010, 05:16 PM
The way the Texans D as a rule (short of Mario) have been playing, how likely is it that the present cast is going to improve their performance to where it needs to be in the next month? Cushing, alone, is not going to fix our problem, especially when we meet teams with real offensive lines and a real quarterback. The way they looked out there last Sunday with all the missed assignments, most looked like they had been reading from the wrong playbook (maybe Playboy) before the game. I would bet that Schoebel could at least show his literary expertise where others have failed. Take the money that fans were screwed out of during the sorry excuse for a game Sunday, and put it into the pocket of someone who has a decent chance of helping to avoid a repeat performance down the line when things get critical.

I hear ya, Cloak and I understand what y'all are saying. Honestly, it's not my money, so it doesn't matter to me what they spend. As long as it won't screw the org for years to come like our old friend Casserly did to us. Personally, I'd love to see Schobel here in a Texans uniform

Errant Hothy
09-28-2010, 05:26 PM

Way to knee jerk there. Most impressive.

The most telling quotes of this whole ordeal.

"They have a lot of good players and are on the right track. It would have been hard for my ego to be a role player."

"They saw me for what I am today and not for what I can be. It's over."

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/nfl/100928-schobel-works-out-for-texans%2C-doesn%27t-sign

Of course all of the rage is based on the assumption that Schobel looked like a starting, pass rushing DE in his workout. How stupid would it have been to sign him to the money he wants if he wasn't going to make anymore of a contribution to the pass rush then Tim Bulamn? To me it sounds like the try out went less then stellar.

Dan Snyder spends money to spend money, are you honestly saying you want that in Houston?

Maddict5
09-28-2010, 05:27 PM
obviously im disappointed it hasn't happened but the knee-jerk is laughable. just to show mcnair's perspective, why should he kneel down and pay some old guy whatever he wants when he hasn't even bothered to stay in shape despite knowing this was coming for weeks or longer? does that really sound like a guy who really cares about getting one last shot at a championship with a contender? or just a guy looking for one last payday?

steelbtexan
09-28-2010, 05:27 PM

Glad to have you on board.

BTW the it will take 2-3 wks to learn the system is a bunch of BS too. Bushes scheme doesn't seem too hard for opposing QB's to figure out in a week. So I imagine that Schobel being a 10 yr vet can figure it too. On top of that wasn't Kollar Shobel's position coach in Buffalo? This was always about the $$$$ and if non believers would put down the koolaid for a while maybe they could see this.

Over/Under Gradkowski 350 yds passing.

Wolf
09-28-2010, 05:30 PM
for one player ? why not? Schobel on the end and move smith to the inside and run with it

the Texans like to rotate their guys anyway . unless the justification is that if they say he is a role player, then the Texans can offer him less money

steelbtexan
09-28-2010, 05:34 PM
obviously im disappointed it hasn't happened but the knee-jerk is laughable. just to show mcnair's perspective, why should he kneel down and pay some old guy whatever he wants when he hasn't even bothered to stay in shape despite knowing this was coming for weeks or longer? does that really sound like a guy who really cares about getting one last shot at a championship with a contender? or just a guy looking for one last payday?

More BS

Schobel walks in the door out of shape and he's still the 2nd best pass rusher on the team.

Out of shape is relative. Could he play a whole game probably not. Could he be the pass rusher this badly needs for 20-25 plays a game probably yes.

Wolf
09-28-2010, 05:35 PM
well if that is the case of 2 to 3 weeks to learn the system

I call bullshit and if so .. so what ..

you have the raiders and the giants and then the chiefs and then a BYE week before playing Indy .. very winnable games(first 3) with out Schobel...

besides how hard to learn the system .esp with kollar as a D-line coach who Schobel is familiar with.

if the Texans are worried about that then if the secondary still tanks the next few games .. forget them signing or trading for anyone this season

Second Honeymoon
09-28-2010, 05:36 PM
We left a lot of holes unaddressed this offseason
No doubt but we are 2-1 and we just lost to a very talented team that is 2 plays from being 3-0

Keep our eyes on the prize and hope McNair and Rick spend some money on the problems preferably sooner rather than later.

The Aso trade would help but it would be a costly acquisition and would really nerf our draft next year but maybe with all the uncertainty next year and the uncapped year could make this the most prudent time to open the war chest

Please let us win v. Oakland
We gotta step up and make up for our deficiencies

Errant Hothy
09-28-2010, 05:39 PM
More BS

Schobel walks in the door out of shape and he's still the 2nd best pass rusher on the team.

Out of shape is relative. Could he play a whole game probably not. Could he be the pass rusher this badly needs for 20-25 plays a game probably yes.

If this is true then how come nobody in the NFL ponied up enough money to keep him from retiring?

Schobel himself said he did not want to be a role player, which is what you are suggesting, so if it took offering him the starting job over Smith, would you still want him to sign here? For what the team feels is above his value?

Hervoyel
09-28-2010, 05:42 PM
Way to knee jerk there. Most impressive.

The most telling quotes of this whole ordeal.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/nfl/100928-schobel-works-out-for-texans%2C-doesn%27t-sign

Of course all of the rage is based on the assumption that Schobel looked like a starting, pass rushing DE in his workout. How stupid would it have been to sign him to the money he wants if he wasn't going to make anymore of a contribution to the pass rush then Tim Bulamn? To me it sounds like the try out went less then stellar.

Dan Snyder spends money to spend money, are you honestly saying you want that in Houston?

I didn't say I wanted Dan Snyder spending sprees and you know that. I said that we need what this man brings to the defense and he's been waiting on us all summer to go write the check that will put him on our team.

There's always a chance that he comes in and isn't 10 sack Aaron Schobel anymore. Of course if he's 5 sack Aaron Schobel and requires a double team from time to time that frees up Mario it's still money well spent and a quality that we don't seem to be getting from the rest of our guys.

You know, it's not like I haven't been watching this unfold since the start of training camp. If you've been paying attention to something for months and then are angered by its outcome is that anger truly a knee-jerk reaction? When you've seen them consistently come up short getting pieces the team needs in this fashion is it still a knee-jerk reaction?

Is it a knee-jerk reaction to label a response you disagree with as just another knee-jerk reaction?

I think it might be.

steelbtexan
09-28-2010, 05:43 PM

Thanks, cant rep you

It appears that the great HOUSTON TEXANS fans are begining to see the light.

Just remember that the Texans are not Houston's team. They are BoB McNair's team and he will do whatever he deems fit to do $$$$ wise. But when the city turns against him it will not be a pretty sight. This city has seen this act before and I hated the end result last time. Oh well life rolls on.

Ckw
09-28-2010, 05:47 PM
I hear ya, Cloak and I understand what y'all are saying. Honestly, it's not my money, so it doesn't matter to me what they spend. As long as it won't screw the org for years to come like our old friend Casserly did to us. Personally, I'd love to see Schobel here in a Texans uniform

And that's the problem and why the lack of movement is pissing me off so much. This is a ONE YEAR signing. This does not screw us over long-term. It is a one year deal that likely works but if it doesn't, no harm no foul. The fans have paid good money for it and deserve to see this team take the next step.

TexCanada
09-28-2010, 05:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwTJ08lb73Q

Everybody acts like they know EXACTLY whats happening in our front office. We don't know why the deal didn't get done. Not only that, but adding in another pass rusher does ABSOLUTELY nothing for a team where the secondary can't cover to save their lives! Fix the secondary, then add a pass rusher.

Hervoyel
09-28-2010, 05:50 PM

Everybody acts like they know EXACTLY whats happening in our front office. We don't know why the deal didn't get done. Not only that, but adding in another pass rusher does ABSOLUTELY nothing for a team where the secondary can't cover to save their lives! Fix the secondary, then add a pass rusher.

(emphasis mine)

Say what?

Errant Hothy
09-28-2010, 05:52 PM
I didn't say I wanted Dan Snyder spending sprees and you know that. I said that we need what this man brings to the defense and he's been waiting on us all summer to go write the check that will put him on our team.

There's always a chance that he comes in and isn't 10 sack Aaron Schobel anymore. Of course if he's 5 sack Aaron Schobel and requires a double team from time to time that frees up Mario it's still money well spent and a quality that we don't seem to be getting from the rest of our guys.

You know, it's not like I haven't been watching this unfold since the start of training camp. If you've been paying attention to something for months and then are angered by its outcome is that anger truly a knee-jerk reaction? When you've seen them consistently come up short getting pieces the team needs in this fashion is it still a knee-jerk reaction?

Is it a knee-jerk reaction to label a response you disagree with as being another knee-jerk reaction? I think it just might be.

All of this is based on the assumption that Schobel looks like anything but a broken down 10 year vet that is not in anything near game shape. Add to that the fact that his quotes to Berman make it sound like that not only did he want more then the team thought he was worth, he wanted to be more then a pass rusher specialist only. The man came out and said that he did not want to be a role player, when a role player is exactly what you are calling for him to be, as Barwin's replacement. Me thinks there was more to Schobel not signing then just the money.

What if that check he was waiting on was equitable to a Dan Snyder type move? Would we still be saying that McNair should have written the check?

Reading Schobel's quotes I dont even think he (Schobel) thinks he could contribute to this team. In any capacity.

I don't think its a knee jerk reaction to assume that Schobel could not contribute to this team. Not after reading his quotes. The man sounds like he is done and knows it.

houstonspartan
09-28-2010, 05:53 PM
Thanks, cant rep you

It appears that the great HOUSTON TEXANS fans are begining to see the light.

Just remember that the Texans are not Houston's team. They are BoB McNair's team and he will do whatever he deems fit to do $$$$ wise. But when the city turns against him it will not be a pretty sight. This city has seen this act before and I hated the end result last time. Oh well life rolls on.

Oh give me a freaking break. He's not going to yank his team out of Houston just because we wanted Aaron Schobel and are mad at him for not getting him.

Sweet Jesus, I can't believe the reaction here. People, let's take deep breaths and get a freaking grip. Ok?

When Schobel first came on the market, I was excited. Now, I would be happy if I never heard the words Aaron and Schobel EVER again.

Move on, people.

ChampionTexan
09-28-2010, 06:06 PM
I've wanted Schobel since before Buffalo released him, but please somebody tell me exactly how you believe McNair would be put in the position of being too cheap to meet Schobel's asking price. Does anybody genuinely believe (and SH and SBT - I'm exempting you from this one) that if his football staff told him this guy would make a difference but he would cost X dollars that McNair would have told them that he wouldn't shell out that kind of jack?

I think the blame and/or credit on this rests squarely on the shoulders of G. Kubiak, and R. Smith for either failing to recognize what Schobel can contribute, or being shrewd enough to recognize that he can't contribute very much. I do agree that a couple of million dollars one way or another shouldn't be a roadblock to getting this deal done, and I simply don't believe McNair would say no to the money if the braintrust was recommending it.

In the meantime, we're 2-1, we're favored on the road in our next game, we're most likely going to be favored in the two following games, and we're getting one of our three best defensive players back after this week. We've got a pretty realistic shot at heading into our bye week sporting a 5-1 record. Yeah, it might not happen, but it also might, so excuse me if I wait at least another game or two before hurling myself off of a cliff.

BigBull17
09-28-2010, 06:21 PM
So, the level headed one in this conversation is Second Honeymoon? Wow. If the guy wont be in shape for a couple of weeks, you have to look at other ways of correcting the problem. The guy doesn't want to play if he didn't stay in shape a little bit.

TexCanada
09-28-2010, 06:25 PM
(emphasis mine)

Say what?

Sorry, I put together a pretty poor sentence there. I meant that since our secondary can't cover, the QB is getting the ball out of his hands long before our pass rushers can even get close. I don't think adding Schobel will make a huge difference for us at this point because of this. First we need to fix our secondary, and then add in Schobel to the mix after that.

TexansFanatic
09-28-2010, 06:30 PM
Sorry, I put together a pretty poor sentence there. I meant that since our secondary can't cover, the QB is getting the ball out of his hands long before our pass rushers can even get close. I don't think adding Schobel will make a huge difference for us at this point because of this. First we need to fix our secondary, and then add in Schobel to the mix after that.

Still not making sense out of that.

If the QB is getting the ball out of his hands before the pass rushers can get close, then you need to add a pass rusher.

Wolf
09-28-2010, 06:33 PM
just brainstorming here

I don't know, if schobel was half of what he was last year.. he is at defensive end and Smith could slide to defensive tackle andmaybe we could get a pass rush without having to send the linebackers and Pollard in .. maybe the Linebackers could help the secondary also?

Texan_Bill
09-28-2010, 06:35 PM

If the QB is getting the ball out of his hands before the pass rushers can get close, then you need to add a pass rusher.

While that's very true and I totally buy into the pressure philosophy, I'm not sure it would do much good against a guy like Romo. He's pretty good at moving around and buying time. I think the Cowboys have given up only one sack this year (IIRC). That's exactly the type of QB that will eat up a suspect secondary. 1 to 2 seconds extra is an enternity for DB's.

Grams
09-28-2010, 06:39 PM
If Schobel really wanted to play this year, he would have stayed in shape.
Being out of shape is really the tell-tale sign that he wants to stay retired.

disaacks3
09-28-2010, 06:40 PM
"They have a lot of good players and are on the right track. It would have been hard for my ego to be a role player."

"They saw me for what I am today and not for what I can be. It's over." So, basically, the Texans wanted him as a non-starter specialist and wanted to pay him thusly. He WALKED AWAY from 8 million...we're offering 2.5?

If this is true then how come nobody in the NFL ponied up enough money to keep him from retiring?

Schobel himself said he did not want to be a role player, which is what you are suggesting, so if it took offering him the starting job over Smith, would you still want him to sign here? For what the team feels is above his value? Yep. Over-pay is a relative term. Would it be more than his average over a multi-year contract? Probably. It's possible that we're the only ones he considered.

Everybody acts like they know EXACTLY whats happening in our front office. We don't know why the deal didn't get done. Not only that, but adding in another pass rusher does ABSOLUTELY nothing for a team where the secondary can't cover to save their lives! Fix the secondary, then add a pass rusher. Show me a team with an effective pass rush and I'll show you a much improved secondary.

So, the level headed one in this conversation is Second Honeymoon? Wow. If the guy wont be in shape for a couple of weeks, you have to look at other ways of correcting the problem. The guy doesn't want to play if he didn't stay in shape a little bit. He may not have wanted to play, except if the Texans (close to home) looked like contenders. Why the Texans didn't up the offer and add incentives to bring it up to his liking we'll never know. He certainly couldn't have made our pass rush look much worse last Sunday.

dalemurphy
09-28-2010, 06:41 PM
Many of you are so quick to jump from disappointment to anger and accusation. Look, the Texans were interested in him but he is clearly not in game shape. He said so. Throwing money at a guy who missed training camp and the pre-season, missed the first three games, and is likely going to complain about playing time even though he is out of shape may not be the best thing for the football team. Perhaps it would be a net positive. But, as removed as you'll are from the situation, the level of conviction and certainty being expressed on this board by some of you is ludicrous.

The Texans signed Ogunleye less than two weeks ago. He is the same age and a comparable pass rusher. Furthermore, he is more willing to play a lesser role, which is what they are looking for. I would expect him to be active in the next week or two. Our second best pass rusher was ill last week, Okoye's ankle is sprained, and two new FAs are still getting up to speed. I don't think it's time to panic.

By the way, the issue with the pass rush was not primarily the front 4. It was our inability to adjust to max protection. Once Dallas started keeping 7 and 8 guys in to block, Romo had time and was still able to find their big WRs isolated in one on one matchups on the outside.

dtran04
09-28-2010, 06:55 PM
Rick Smith probably wrote an incentive laden contract (or at least I would if a guy frequently admitted all season that he was out of shape) and Schobel knew he couldn't meet those totals if he was a part time player.

I also love how this comes up after a loss. Nice try by him and his agent.

TexCanada
09-28-2010, 07:12 PM

The receivers are wide open. Even if there were no O-Line there, our rushers wouldn't be able to get there in time.

Jackie Chiles
09-28-2010, 07:25 PM
Why bring him in for a workout if you are so far off on the money part? This bites, I had accepted it weeks ago when it looked like he just didn't want to play anymore but now we are the ones to shut down the deal. Can't lie, I'm surprised and a little angry.

Rey
09-28-2010, 07:33 PM
I have to admit that I am a bit upset that they aren't getting this deal done.

DexmanC
09-28-2010, 07:38 PM
I have to admit that I am a bit upset that they aren't getting this deal done.

He's been eatin' Meatloaf, potatoes, and gravy all offseason. Aaron's not
in game shape, Aaron's not getting paid.

Rey
09-28-2010, 07:43 PM

From the reports it seems as if there is more to it than money.

Aaron made a comment afterward about him not wanting to just be a pass rush specialist. He said that they saw him for what he was today and not for what he could be. Said they couldn't agree on his role.

Thorn
09-28-2010, 07:44 PM
If he was going to be useful to the defense and wasn't asking for a billion dollars, he would have been signed. They need help right now, and know it. Something happened we just don't know about yet. So I'm not going to be blaming Aaron or the Texans management until I hear something from either of the two explaining it.

steelbtexan
09-28-2010, 07:50 PM

Schobel himself said he did not want to be a role player, which is what you are suggesting, so if it took offering him the starting job over Smith, would you still want him to sign here? For what the team feels is above his value?

Schobel only wanted to play for the Texans.

Yes, I would take Schobel over Smith any day of the week and twice on
Sundays. Schobel is a better player and has a better work ethic than Smith. IMHO Check out their career stats.

The next time the Texans mention character know that they are full of BS. Apparently character is only valued if it comes at the right price. Schobel is a very high character guy and would be a Texan today if this wasn't about $$$$$. IMHO

BigBull17
09-28-2010, 07:56 PM
We could see a trade coming. They want the help now and he isn't ready. Who is on a bad team, can play a lil 3-4 lb, and on the last year or two on their contract?

Texan_Bill
09-28-2010, 08:00 PM

This what I was kida thinking, so therefore maybe his workout didn't go all that well.

steelbtexan
09-28-2010, 08:04 PM
Oh give me a freaking break. He's not going to yank his team out of Houston just because we wanted Aaron Schobel and are mad at him for not getting him.

Sweet Jesus, I can't believe the reaction here. People, let's take deep breaths and get a freaking grip. Ok?

When Schobel first came on the market, I was excited. Now, I would be happy if I never heard the words Aaron and Schobel EVER again.

Move on, people.

This isn't about Schobel.

It's about the mindset of the owner doing the exact same thing that bottom line Bud used to do. Then the fans turned against Bud and people said Bud would never move the Oilers. Then the stadium referendum was voted down and the rest is history.

God lets hope history doesn't repeat its self.

steelbtexan
09-28-2010, 08:10 PM
Many of you are so quick to jump from disappointment to anger and accusation. Look, the Texans were interested in him but he is clearly not in game shape. He said so. Throwing money at a guy who missed training camp and the pre-season, missed the first three games, and is likely going to complain about playing time even though he is out of shape may not be the best thing for the football team. Perhaps it would be a net positive. But, as removed as you'll are from the situation, the level of conviction and certainty being expressed on this board by some of you is ludicrous.

The Texans signed Ogunleye less than two weeks ago. He is the same age and a comparable pass rusher. Furthermore, he is more willing to play a lesser role, which is what they are looking for. I would expect him to be active in the next week or two. Our second best pass rusher was ill last week, Okoye's ankle is sprained, and two new FAs are still getting up to speed. I don't think it's time to panic.

By the way, the issue with the pass rush was not primarily the front 4. It was our inability to adjust to max protection. Once Dallas started keeping 7 and 8 guys in to block, Romo had time and was still able to find their big WRs isolated in one on one matchups on the outside.

All is well. Now they just have to prove they can make the playoffs. No excuses

Dale O/U Gradkowski 350 yds 2 td's 1 int

Hervoyel
09-28-2010, 08:14 PM
This just pisses me off so much that.... I can't worry about it anymore. There's no point. It's done and we are who we are. No cavalry is coming to the rescue, no sudden turn around is going to take place. Time to start thinking about Oakland and the possibilities of 3-1... or 2-2. I quit this topic forever. Nothing good can come of it.

dalemurphy
09-28-2010, 08:14 PM
All is well. Now they just have to prove they can make the playoffs. No excuses

Dale O/U Gradkowski 350 yds 2 td's 1 int

UNDER...

Otherwise, expect to see me break out in hives and walk the streets mumbling to myself.

NitroGSXR
09-28-2010, 08:21 PM
Life goes on but I'd really like to spray-fart both Schobel and the Texans front office/McNair. It's like the Casserly impact lives on. We are afraid to make splashes nowadays. A trade? LMAO. When pigs fly... the Texans are now operating as stone cold still as a deer in headlights. Pollard was our giant fish last season. This one is another that got away.

The Texans are destined for mediocre glory. Yay.

steelbtexan
09-28-2010, 08:21 PM
UNDER...

Otherwise, expect to see me break out in hives and walk the streets mumbling to myself.

LOL- me too

BTW I havent given up hope.

Love your blog

dtran04
09-28-2010, 08:24 PM
The guy has had over a month to get into decent shape to impress the Texans' brass with a decent workout. From the result, we know how the workout went. The player says he needs more time and the team refusing to pay whatever he asks.

steelbtexan
09-28-2010, 08:27 PM
This just pisses me off so much that.... I can't worry about it anymore. There's no point. It's done and we are who we are. No cavalry is coming to the rescue, no sudden turn around is going to take place. Time to start thinking about Oakland and the possibilities of 3-1... or 2-2. I quit this topic forever. Nothing good can come of it.

Nothing ever good comes out of it.

Life goes on here's to the texans beating the Raiders and going 3-1.

Texan_Bill
09-28-2010, 08:37 PM
I'm so glad we have so many insightful, brilliant people here "in the know"!! :gun:

I'm also glad these same people having nothing to do with the inner workings of the team..

Aaron Schobel...... Championship!

If Bob McNair wasn't sooo cheap, he would have Reggie White resurrected!! :spit:

Second Honeymoon
09-28-2010, 08:38 PM
Peeps, we are 2-1 going into Oakland. Our team got beat by a talented squad that was playing to save their season. Frankly the score could have been worse. It was a mistake filled game and had horrible officiating that went both ways. The guys have to rally around and come out and punch Oakland in the face and set the tone. We get thiswin on Sunday and we are 3-1 with a fresh Cushing ready to roll out.

Trust me, if they lose to the Raidahs I will be pressing the panic button especially if Sir Andre is hurt and can't dominate like he I'd capable of

steelbtexan
09-28-2010, 08:42 PM
I'm so glad we have so many insightful, brilliant people here "in the know"!! :gun:

I'm also glad these same people having nothing to do with the inner workings of the team..

Aaron Schobel...... Championship!

If Bob McNair wasn't sooo cheap, he would have Reggie White resurrected!! :spit:

Reggie White in his current state is probably a better player than Nading.

Oh I forgot Nading is a great ST guy. LOL

Texan_Bill
09-28-2010, 08:44 PM
[grabs heart and reaches towards the sky] "This is the big one honey! I'm coming to join you Elizabeth!"

I agree with SH in one regard. People act like the 'gurls aren't a talented, good team (as much as that kills me to say), that could've very well been 2-0 going into Sunday.

We're 2-1 while missing our 2 time DROY and Brown for this last game.... Geez people take your freakin' meds!!

Is the secondary gonna get burnt often this year? Sure, but there's enough there that it should be compensated for.

*EDIT*

The opening reference is from Sanford & Son for you youngins'.

TexansFanatic
09-28-2010, 09:14 PM
While that's very true and I totally buy into the pressure philosophy, I'm not sure it would do much good against a guy like Romo.

Agreed. Three step drops and quick releases will still give this back seven problems---you're right. Well, perhaps Cushing will stop some of the bleeding. But I won't argue that the Texans' secondary is solid. It is quite porous.

Errant Hothy
09-28-2010, 09:25 PM

On a three step drop, passing to a slant route not even Usain Bolt could get around the edge quick enough to record a sack.

I never watched a lot of Bills football but I'm fairly certain that Schobel was never much of a speed rusher as a DE.

TexansFanatic
09-28-2010, 09:32 PM
All right. This thread is in need of a new dose of ugliness and I'm just the dog to bring it.

Since we're having another in an interminable stream of discussions about whether Bob McNair is cheap:

Was the Mario Williams selection---which we all now agree was the right choice----made in a moment of brilliance as a means of adding the most talented player available? Or was Mario chosen because he agreed to terms quickly, while Bush was making things difficult and asking for more money?

Did the Texans simply get lucky with the Mario pick while they were being cheapskates?

Texan_Bill
09-28-2010, 09:43 PM
Agreed. Three step drops and quick releases will still give this back seven problems---you're right. Well, perhaps Cushing will stop some of the bleeding. But I won't argue that the Texans' secondary is solid. It is quite porous.

Porous?? It's cheese cloth! :cool:

TexansFanatic
09-28-2010, 09:50 PM
Porous?? It's cheese cloth! :cool:

LOL. I was being kind. My first thought was "non-existent."

Texan_Bill
09-28-2010, 09:54 PM
LOL. I was being kind. My first thought was "non-existent."

Fair enough. I was considering McNabb's over-throw as a defensive stop. That said, they got a "stop", technically making them, umm, I dont even know how to say "not, non-existent:... :turtle:

drs23
09-28-2010, 09:59 PM
All right. This thread is in need of a new dose of ugliness and I'm just the dog to bring it.

Since we're having another in an interminable stream of discussions about whether Bob McNair is cheap:

Was the Mario Williams selection---which we all now agree was the right choice----made in a moment of brilliance as a means of adding the most talented player available? Or was Mario chosen because he agreed to terms quickly, while Bush was making things difficult and asking for more money?

Did the Texans simply get lucky with the Mario pick while they were being cheapskates?

Yes. I'm sure that's it. As has been pounded all day today. Proof's in the puddin'. McNair's a cheap Sunny Beach! :kitten:

steelbtexan
09-28-2010, 10:01 PM

In this instance I dont believe McNair was being cheap. I think he listened to Casserly. LOL

If you got a do over on that draft would you have taken Ngata over Williams?

Texan_Bill
09-28-2010, 10:10 PM
In this instance I dont believe McNair was being cheap. I think he listened to Casserly. LOL

If you got a do over on that draft would you have taken Ngata over Williams?

Casserley had nothing to do with that pick. Casserley at that point was a lame duck. He knew it. The Texans knew it..... and if you were being honest, you knew it!

A "do over"?...... :spit: Really???

:rolleyes:

dalemurphy
09-28-2010, 10:12 PM
Reggie White in his current state is probably a better player than Nading.

Oh I forgot Nading is a great ST guy. LOL

I'm very disappointed in the decision to retain Nading and let Jamison go. Jamison can rush the passer and we could really use him right now!

Texan_Bill
09-28-2010, 10:13 PM
I'm very disappointed in the decision to retain Nading and let Jamison go. Jamison can rush the passer and we could really use him right now!

Funny thing for me is, I kinda support this.

steelbtexan
09-28-2010, 10:45 PM
Casserley had nothing to do with that pick. Casserley at that point was a lame duck. He knew it. The Texans knew it..... and if you were being honest, you knew it!

That's why I put the LOL after that statement.

MW vs Ngata was just something to keep the beer brewing.

dalemurphy
09-28-2010, 11:16 PM
LOL- me too

BTW I havent given up hope.

Love your blog

Thanks.

I predicted 11 wins this season. And, if the injuries stop mounting, I still think 11 looks good. I don't know how big the game this weekend is for the Texans' chances this season, but I know it is a huge game for my mental and emotional stability.

Texan_Bill
09-28-2010, 11:20 PM
That's why I put the LOL after that statement.

MW vs Ngata was just something to keep the beer brewing.

And you know what bro? I appreciate that!! Seriously!! Let's keep it interesting - (and this is for everyone) - whether we're completely of different opinions!!

The1ApplePie
09-28-2010, 11:28 PM
McNair may be the hardest owner to figure out in the NFL.

I wonder if the free agent money is going to dem race horses!

or something

edo783
09-28-2010, 11:29 PM

And there in lays the problem. We have now shown 3 games worth of tape that if you 3 step, quick slant us, we are helpless to stop it and can't get to the QB in that time frame. We will see a constant and steady dose of this until when and if we ever become able to stop it or get quicker to the QB and on the 3 step drops, that isn't very likely to happen. Our only real option is to control the game and score more points, because if we let the other offense on the field they will very likely score. NOT a good situation.

steelbtexan
09-29-2010, 12:35 AM
Just had a thought

Man Peppers looked good last night.

ChampionTexan
09-29-2010, 01:17 AM
McNair may be the hardest owner to figure out in the NFL.

I wonder if the free agent money is going to dem race horses!

or something

Maybe the or something, but the racehorses were sold a couple of years ago.

Brisco_County
09-29-2010, 12:35 PM
The guy wasn't in playing shape when he showed up for his workout, but he's expecting an offer of $8 million up front? That's just bad negotiating. The FO can't make a good faith offer without Schobel fronting something too. That's business.

Texan_Bill
09-29-2010, 12:51 PM
Maybe the or something, but the racehorses were sold a couple of years ago.

Yup!! He sold the whole horse stable - Stonerside Stables. Not sure when exactly but I think you're right. It's been a couple of years, seems like.

FirstTexansFan
09-29-2010, 01:01 PM
Yup!! He sold the whole horse stable - Stonerside Stables. Not sure when exactly but I think you're right. It's been a couple of years, seems like.

Like duuude, who bought it maaaan? :)

Texan_Bill
09-29-2010, 01:02 PM

Sheikh Mohammed of Dubai. :D

houstonspartan
09-29-2010, 01:03 PM
The guy wasn't in playing shape when he showed up for his workout, but he's expecting an offer of $8 million up front? That's just bad negotiating. The FO can't make a good faith offer without Schobel fronting something too. That's business.

Exactly.

Texan_Bill
09-29-2010, 01:04 PM

Sheikh Mohammed of Dubai. :D

And before you ask, it was sold September 2008, so exactly two years ago. :kitten:

FirstTexansFan
09-29-2010, 01:05 PM
And before you ask, it was sold September 2008, so exactly two years ago. :kitten:

Sorry, short term memory lapse, what were we talking about? :)

TexansBull
09-29-2010, 01:12 PM
See here is what may have happened. Kubiak and Smith were waiting in the parking lot for this guy:

http://www.nflpassers.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/BillsAaronSchobel9.jpg

And then this guy showed up:

http://i.cdn.turner.com/v5cache/TNT/Images/i1/VarsityBlues_1_587x295.jpg

Billy Bob from Varsity Blues.(Who by the way has lost 300lbs through gastric bypass surgery.)

I thought it is funny. Hope yall do.

Second Honeymoon
09-29-2010, 01:14 PM

After the draft and after Casserley was let go and Bush was doing well while Mario looked like just another guy, Casserley was on record as saying that he wanted to take Bush, and that McNair/Kubiak wanted Mario because they needed to find a way to help beat Payton.

Now that Bush's stock has dropped and Mario's has risen, Casserley wants to act like it was his pick. All he was was the guy who announced the pick and had to defend it on the TV shows. that's it. he wanted Bush. period.

Bush has been a good player as has Mario. Mario has probably better value at where he was taken but that is splitting hairs. At the end of the day the Saints have been to 2 NFC Championship games and won a super bowl. We have done nothing but mediocre. The jury is out but I give the saints the early lead.

Ryan
09-29-2010, 01:42 PM
After the draft and after Casserley was let go and Bush was doing well while Mario looked like just another guy, Casserley was on record as saying that he wanted to take Bush, and that McNair/Kubiak wanted Mario because they needed to find a way to help beat Payton.

Now that Bush's stock has dropped and Mario's has risen, Casserley wants to act like it was his pick. All he was was the guy who announced the pick and had to defend it on the TV shows. that's it. he wanted Bush. period.

Bush has been a good player as has Mario. Mario has probably better value at where he was taken but that is splitting hairs. At the end of the day the Saints have been to 2 NFC Championship games and won a super bowl. We have done nothing but mediocre. The jury is out but I give the saints the early lead.

But do you actually think Bush was the direct cause of both of those appearances and that ring? I think it's the direct cause of great coaching and #9 myself but whatever floats your boat.

NitroGSXR
09-29-2010, 01:53 PM
But do you actually think Bush was the direct cause of both of those appearances and that ring? I think it's the direct cause of great coaching and #9 myself but whatever floats your boat.
He certinly was a piece of the puzzle on that SB winning team. Give me a ring and I'll pay Schobel anything he wants. Results results!

Second Honeymoon
09-29-2010, 01:59 PM

no, but they were 3-13 the season before he got there and then went to NFC Championship game. He helps their offense and if you watched the game against Atlanta, his talent was missed.

but yes, Brees was a bigger piece of the puzzle, no doubt. Bush has won about 4 or 5 games for him though since drafted. 2 via special teams and a few by displaying his immense talent...he just doesn't display it enough for a 2nd overall pick but they have won and he has helped...so who cares where he was drafted. The Saints know more about Bush than us fans do, and they re-signed him.

Brisco_County
09-29-2010, 02:12 PM

I was with you until this part.

Bush isn't even a between-the-tackles runner. He's an important complement, but not fundemental to their success. I think you're allowing the success of Payton and Brees to give too much credbility there.

Wait, how did we derail to this topic?

Wolf
10-01-2010, 12:27 AM
with the new tailgating policy and the 10 dollar per guest tickets , Bob should be able to afford Aaron now

:joker: :tease: :runaway:

GP
10-01-2010, 09:55 AM
I was with you until this part.

Bush isn't even a between-the-tackles runner. He's an important complement, but not fundemental to their success. I think you're allowing the success of Payton and Brees to give too much credbility there.

Wait, how did we derail to this topic?

I hate to have to bust up your party, but reggie Bush actually HAS looked good between the tackles this year. He did it in preseason, and he carried it over into the regular season.

As a once proud Bush hater, I can say that the guy (despite his inability to "completely" take over a game) has still proved that he is dangerous and can gain yards and first downs at crucial times....and in different ways.

I think he and Mario are actually two of the Top 3 draft picks from that draft who are actually playing somewhat to the expectations of what we find with players drafted in those two spots. They're not excellent, but they're getting better every year.

El Tejano
10-01-2010, 10:19 AM
All 3 were great picks with the possibility of Bush having less of an impact if he came to our team.

The1ApplePie
10-01-2010, 10:55 AM
All 3 were great picks with the possibility of Bush having less of an impact if he came to our team.

Slaton's rookie year was probably a good illustration of how we would have used Bush.

The 2006 draft is pretty bust-free, especially when compared to the 2007 draft.

Brisco_County
10-01-2010, 11:38 PM
I hate to have to bust up your party, but reggie Bush actually HAS looked good between the tackles this year. He did it in preseason, and he carried it over into the regular season.

As a once proud Bush hater, I can say that the guy (despite his inability to "completely" take over a game) has still proved that he is dangerous and can gain yards and first downs at crucial times....and in different ways.

I think he and Mario are actually two of the Top 3 draft picks from that draft who are actually playing somewhat to the expectations of what we find with players drafted in those two spots. They're not excellent, but they're getting better every year.

I'm happy that Bush is doing well, and I wish him the best. But the overall point is that there should be no question that we made the right choice.

Maddict5
10-02-2010, 05:36 AM

hate to burst your bubble but anyone who knows a damn knows its not even debatable anymore. while bush has come on in the last yr or so, hes still nothing other than a decent weapon for brees. we have a top 3 DE that never misses a game. They have a top what? 20/25/30? rb thats starting to get injured quite regularly. its a landslide decision that even the most optimistic texans fan would admit seemed unlikely in 2006

RagingBull
10-02-2010, 10:01 AM

They have a top what?

That would be a Lombardi trophy. :lol:

GP
10-02-2010, 10:04 AM
I'm happy that Bush is doing well, and I wish him the best. But the overall point is that there should be no question that we made the right choice.

WE made the right choice for OUR team's need (the need to beat the crap out of Manning). The Saints made the next best choice, grabbing a guy who has open-field skills and (IMO) is learning how to play between the tackles.

I fall into that group of people who says "Can't they BOTH be good? Why does there have to be a definitive #1 "better" guy?"

I do admit that in the early stages, I wanted Mario to do better than Reggie and Vince. We all did. We all do now, as well. But as time goes on, I am enjoying watching Reggie and Mario both have success and showing the media and other fans that sometimes the unpopular pick can still be a great one.

Now Vince, on the other hand, I wish complete failure upon. And that's because he was drafted by Bud Adams who was trying to stick it to us by drafting the guy that he knew lots of Texans fans wanted us to take. His intentions were to have Vince beat us for the next 10+ years and rub our faces in it.

If we can contain CJ and the option between VY & CJ, we can beat the Titans soundly.

srrono
07-30-2011, 09:57 AM
I am a little surprised Schobel has not came up again he must be enjoying retirement.

Texecutioner
07-30-2011, 01:35 PM

we have a top 3 DE that never misses a game.

The only people that would even remotely call Mario a top 3 are Texans fans that say that because. Mario is not a top 3 DE. I just looked at a list of the top pass rushers in the league and Mario wasn't even on the top 10 of that list. That's how highly regarded he is outside of Houston where he gets overrated.

DX-TEX
07-30-2011, 01:37 PM
Arise dead threads and walk the earth!