PDA

View Full Version : Texans at Washington Preview

dalemurphy
09-18-2010, 08:14 PM
I’m having a difficult time breaking this game down. The Texans have never been in this position before, really. They physically dominated the Colts in week one and are a road favorite heading into week 2. Not only are they a road favorite, there is nothing about tomorrow’s matchup that favors the Redskins. Perhaps the Texans are due for an emotional letdown after that win versus Indianapolis. However, the Redskins had an even more intense and emotional win versus Dallas on Sunday night. So, let us focus on some key matchups on the field and ignore intangibles for week two, since I simply can not figure them out:

Keys to the game:

1. Texans’ offensive line and TEs versus Redskins front 7: The size of the Redskin front 3 could create problems for the O-line, and the ability of Orakpo and A.Carter to rush on the edge will keep the Texans honest and force Schaub to make some quick decisions. I expect a lot of two TE sets. My guess is OD and Dressen will each see significant snaps and they will often play on the line of scrimmage or flanked just behind the Brown and Winston. The TE blocking was a key versus Indianapolis. Even moreso this week, the ability to use TEs to reach the LBs in the run game is a key against 3-4 defenses. Also, Daniels, Dressen, and Casey all will have a significant matchup advantage in the passing game versus Redskin LBs. Carter and Orakpo are essentially DEs… and, Fletcher has lost a step and is at a height disadvantage against the Texan TEs.

Complete article here: Texans Bull Blog (http://www.texansbullblog.com/texans-washington-preview/news/)

hradhak
09-18-2010, 08:20 PM
Nice article.

I think the Cowboys poorly managed the game against the Redskins. They were able to move the ball on the ground but abandoned the run. I think we're going to have success on the ground but not to the degree we had against the Colts. We're going to have to air it out and the O line is going to have to give Schaub time

On D, I think McNabb is dangerous, although not as good as he was a few years ago. We've gotta put pressure on McNabb but be wary that he can scramble.

Texan_Bill
09-18-2010, 08:22 PM
In short. The Texans have learned how to win after a loss, but have they learned how to win after a big win?? That's the question for tomorrow.

I re-watched the Colts game today. Prior to watching it, I wasn't feeling really that great about tomorrow. I feel a little better now, but I think its gonna be tight.

Brandon420tx
09-18-2010, 08:41 PM
Nice one

Joe Texan
09-18-2010, 09:56 PM
Stick to the couch and let the coach handle the game prep

JB
09-18-2010, 10:00 PM
Stick to the couch and let the coach handle the game prep

Dude! We gonna be rockin' the couch tomorrow!

The Pencil Neck
09-18-2010, 10:51 PM
Personally, I'm starting to worry about over-using Jacoby. Passes bounce off of him that I think David Anderson makes. Jacoby is great at stretching the field and making acrobatic catches but I worry about the hit and miss nature of his hands. David Anderson can't do some of the things that Jacoby can but he gives us a steadier check down.

So... I'd like to see more DA like we did last year.

JB
09-18-2010, 10:53 PM
Personally, I'm starting to worry about over-using Jacoby. Passes bounce off of him that I think David Anderson makes. Jacoby is great at stretching the field and making acrobatic catches but I worry about the hit and miss nature of his hands. David Anderson can't do some of the things that Jacoby can but he gives us a steadier check down.

I'm really wanting to see a lot more of Walter in this game

Rey
09-18-2010, 11:00 PM

I'd actually like to see DA used some when we are passing into the endzone...

I think he probably catches the one Jacoby dropped...But at the same time, DA might not get open on the same routes...Jacoby is quicker and gives Matt a bigger target...

I think we would have seen DA a bit more if we had been forced to pass the ball more. I'd be completely o.k with us really mixing up our packages and personnel...D.A and Jacoby on the field together, Walter in the Slot...Dreesen, Casey and OD on the field together some...

I think as the year goes on all of these guys will get a chance to make some plays..

Cjeremy635
09-18-2010, 11:11 PM
I think that the success of this game comes down to how 3 main players do.

1) Shaub- He hasn't been that accurate this season. I noticed a few passes that were off in the preseason and they seem to have carried over to game 1. Hopefully it's just a minor timing issue and he can get it together soon. We're going to need him to be accurate and on time with his passes....which is definately a given.

2) Foster- The kid was electric last week. Hopefully he can build off of that performance and not be a one hit wonder. I think he has a huge upside though. He has GREAT vision and patience to allow the holes to develope, so I think he'll be fine. I would just like to see him build off of that performance and bring it week after week.

3) Mario- Mario played great last week. He seemed to have a really high motor and his intensity level was through the roof. Hopefully he can sustain that drive for the entire season and not just game 1. He has a tendancy to not be a factor at times, so I'd like to think that how he played in game 1 is the new standard that he has set for himself to peform at.

I didn't mention Andre because that guy pretty much always comes ready to play. He's a beast and will always continue to do what he does.

dalemurphy
09-18-2010, 11:34 PM
I was watching some college football with a friend of mine who really knows football. He has, in the past, made a living betting sports. Anyway, he's taking the Skins +2 tomorrow because he "just thinks it makes sense". His argument is the one we are all afraid of. Will the Texans come out flat or sloppy on the road after that emotional victory last week? I've been worried. But, listening to Ryan attempt to explain how he believes the Skins will beat the Texans has thoroughly convinced me it isn't going to happen. The only real argument to be made is based on NFL tendencies as well as the history of the Texans' organization. There is nothing about the team the Texans are fielding tomorrow (or the Skins for that matter) that suggests the Skins win that game. This Texan team is good. It's also focused and I believe it is committed to having a special season. I told Ryan that the "smart money" is going to take a beating tomorrow afternoon. Texans will win convincingly. I'm now confident of it.

Norg
09-18-2010, 11:42 PM
well since Leech neck hurts why dont we throw to him all the time

they will not be able to cover it

esp if we got AJ JJ OD Foster and Anderson all on the field that wont be able to cover Leech LOL

ObsiWan
09-18-2010, 11:48 PM
1. The 'Skins' D-line against our O-line worries me. Fat Albert can take up two people alone and I'm not sure D. Brown can keep Orakpo in check.

2. As old and (supposedly) gimpy McNabb is, he still busted loose for a 17-yd run against the Cowboys. Our D-line knew where to find Manning. He NEVER leaves the pocket. Keeping mobile QBs in check hasn't been something we've excelled at in the past. McNabb could burn us by keeping drives alive with his legs.

3. Our "Kiddie Korners" against a pair of cagey, veteran WRs. Joey Galloway doesn't worry me as much as Santana Moss. But you don't stick in this league as long as they have on just plain ole speed. I hope they don't school our younguns too badly.

TimeKiller
09-18-2010, 11:49 PM
I think the size of this D stops every single run from being a 8 yard gain but I bet Foster breaks a few and the pass game picks up a lot of play action passes.

I think the Texans D is really about to dominate a team. They just gave Peyton all kinds of hell and he's got awesome receivers. I worry that without Cush a few runs might be given up but I expect a few int's and some hard hitting defense. Pretty much agree with the whole article.

The Pencil Neck
09-19-2010, 12:05 AM
1. The 'Skins' D-line against our O-line worries me. Fat Albert can take up two people alone and I'm not sure D. Brown can keep Orakpo in check.

Fat Albert probably won't get more than 15-20 snaps in nickel types of situations and the guy who's their #1 NT isn't as strong against the run. I'm just not that worried about the NT in this game.

Orakpo could cause some problems. Duane had some issues in pass pro with Freeney last week. But I think we're going to see a lot of 2 and 3 TE sets to deal with those LB's to double down on them. And occasionally, I expect the TE's to be able to slip out behind them as the hot reads.

Thorn
09-19-2010, 07:56 AM
I was watching some college football with a friend of mine who really knows football. He has, in the past, made a living betting sports. Anyway, he's taking the Skins +2 tomorrow because he "just thinks it makes sense". His argument is the one we are all afraid of. Will the Texans come out flat or sloppy on the road after that emotional victory last week? I've been worried. But, listening to Ryan attempt to explain how he believes the Skins will beat the Texans has thoroughly convinced me it isn't going to happen. The only real argument to be made is based on NFL tendencies as well as the history of the Texans' organization. There is nothing about the team the Texans are fielding tomorrow (or the Skins for that matter) that suggests the Skins win that game. This Texan team is good. It's also focused and I believe it is committed to having a special season. I told Ryan that the "smart money" is going to take a beating tomorrow afternoon. Texans will win convincingly. I'm now confident of it.

I agree with the bolded part, and I'm thinking we are 2-0 after todays game. My only problem believing in the Texans is that I'm believing without evidence. Which of course happens a lot in sports. LOL

Hopefully the Texans provide us with more evidence today they really are what they showed us in the Colts game.

Lucky
09-19-2010, 08:13 AM

I'd actually like to see DA used some when we are passing into the endzone...
I'll take a guy who can make a play over a guy who can't, every Sunday. Jacoby Jones is a threat to score whenever he's on the field. David Anderson is not. I would prefer James Casey getting Anderson's snaps. He has the same speed and hands, but provides a bigger target with more RAC ability.

The Pencil Neck
09-19-2010, 02:46 PM
I'll take a guy who can make a play over a guy who can't, every Sunday. Jacoby Jones is a threat to score whenever he's on the field. David Anderson is not. I would prefer James Casey getting Anderson's snaps. He has the same speed and hands, but provides a bigger target with more RAC ability.

I prefer the guy who catches the ball when it hits his hands. Jacoby may be a threat but he's got to catch the ball and not have the ball bounce off of him into a defender's hands.

Anderson makes the tough catches in traffic. With Jacoby, you just don't know what you're going to get. If Casey can take DA's spot, I'm fine with that. I just want those catches being made without those balls getting knocked up in the air.

Lucky
09-19-2010, 03:02 PM
Anderson makes the tough catches in traffic. With Jacoby, you just don't know what you're going to get.
You're getting more touchdowns. There's no comparison. Jacoby Jones is a much better football player than David Anderson.

TexansBlood
09-19-2010, 05:08 PM
One that describes the Texans....

INCONSISTENT

wrote that at the half