PDA

View Full Version : Foster and Quin Fined

CloakNNNdagger
09-17-2010, 04:22 PM
We've made the big time.

From McClain twitter:

Quin was penalized 15 yards for a hit on Reggie Wayne. The officials and the NFL said Quin hit Wayne when he was in a defenseless position.
5 minutes ago via web

Foster, who wasn't penalized by the officials, grabbed the facemask of S Antoine Bethea at the end of a 42-yard run in the 4th quarter.
7 minutes ago via web

NFL has fined Texans RB Arian Foster and CB Glover Quin $5,000 each for unnecessary roughness on 2 plays against the Colts.
8 minutes ago via web

Texas T
09-17-2010, 04:24 PM
We've made the big time.

From McClain twitter:

Where's the fine for Rackers??

So now will everyone get penalized in the game and fined after??
Seems like double jeopardy.

TexansBlood
09-17-2010, 04:25 PM
$5K for a stiff arm?

GuerillaBlack
09-17-2010, 04:26 PM
Wow, NFL. They just made Foster mad by giving him this fine. Be prepared Redskins defense.

Stemp
09-17-2010, 04:27 PM
Running back Arian Foster and cornerback Glover Quin have been fined $5,000 each for what the NFL calls unnecessary roughness during Sunday's 34-24 victory over Indianapolis.

Foster was fined because he reached out and grabbed the facemask of safety Antoine Bethea near the end of a 42-yard run in the fourth quarter. Foster wasn't penalized.
Quin was penalized 15 yards for hitting receiver Reggie Wayne. The officials and the NFL said Quin hit Wayne when he was in a defenseless position.

Earlier this week, Quin was fined $5,000 by the league for a uniform violation — not wearing his socks correctly.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7205971.html

GuerillaBlack
09-17-2010, 04:28 PM

WHAAAAAAAT. No way.

TheCD
09-17-2010, 04:29 PM
$5K for a stiff arm?

The fine was actually for a face mask. If you check out the highlights, you see Foster grabs it and yanks. A stiff arm is simply getting your hand up and keeping the defender away, with no grabbing or yanking.

gtexan02
09-17-2010, 04:29 PM
Wtf? $5k for a facemask?

Isn't that the referees job?

Unbelieveable. He didn't even bring him down

Showtime100
09-17-2010, 04:31 PM
The NFL is getting pretty creative on these fines. They would have made more money than God back in the seventies with this crap.

ziggy29
09-17-2010, 04:31 PM
I've never understood why a ball carrier can legally stiff-arm a defender in the face mask when it would be a penalty for the other 21 players on the field.

HuttoKarl
09-17-2010, 04:32 PM
They should have fined Foster for crushing the defensive back when he rolled in for his second TD...$5000 for making a man look like a little ragdoll girl.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/indianapolis-colts/09000d5d81a7a880

pbat488
09-17-2010, 04:33 PM
$5,000 seems like a gnat to most NFL players but on AF's UDFA salary, that's more like a mosquito at least.

brakos82
09-17-2010, 04:34 PM
The NFL is getting pretty creative on these fines. They would have made more money than God back in the seventies with this crap.

This isn't anything new. They fined one of the LYB Oilers $250 for sock violations.

SheTexan
09-17-2010, 04:38 PM
I'll start taking up a kitty fund to pay their fines, IF they'll do it again!!!

Showtime100
09-17-2010, 04:39 PM
This isn't anything new. They fined one of the LYB Oilers $250 for sock violations.

That's different but just as dumb. I know they get bent out of shape about uni's, but this is the result of action on the field. One Oiler-Steeler game or any game involving the Raiders would have had players on the street with "will work for..." signs in their hands back then with this touchy-feely policy.

cuppacoffee
09-17-2010, 04:40 PM
What???

No fines for planting Sir Manning against his will.

Damn NFL letting Manning get abused that way.

:coffee:

disaacks3
09-17-2010, 04:41 PM
Wtf? $5k for a facemask?

Isn't that the referees job?

Unbelieveable. He didn't even bring him down The helmet-to-helmet I understand (even if I don't agree with it), but the non-call facemask? Are we going to start fining O-Linemen for holding too? WTH?

09-17-2010, 04:47 PM
foster is gonna need every penny after his playing career...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnEr34dOR2Q

a little humor at mike patrick's expense.

TEXANS84
09-17-2010, 04:49 PM
Ok, the Quin hit I understand. But the Foster facemask stiff-arm? You have got to be kidding me.

No
Fun
League

infantrycak
09-17-2010, 04:52 PM
I've never understood why a ball carrier can legally stiff-arm a defender in the face mask when it would be a penalty for the other 21 players on the field.

It's just the rule. A ball carrier can put their hand on the facemask so long as they do not grasp it and only push.

The helmet-to-hwelmet I understand (even if I don't agree with it), but the non-call facemask? Are we going to start fining O-Linemen for holding too? WTH?

Or for hands to the face? How often does that happen a game and not get called?

Showtime100
09-17-2010, 04:52 PM
Ok, the Quin hit I understand. But the Foster facemask stiff-arm? You have got to be kidding me.

No
Fun
League

Ditto. With all the concussion talk I complete get why that would come down but on the stiffarm I promise they could have found a more fineable (sic?) action on virtually any given play of the game.

CloakNNNdagger
09-17-2010, 05:00 PM
It's just the rule. A ball carrier can put their hand on the facemask so long as they do not grasp it and only push.

Or for hands to the face? How often does that happen a game and not get called?

Especially in that infamous "dog pile." Many reported player eye gouging.

Rey
09-17-2010, 05:04 PM
Quinn was also fined for his socks per John McClain...

LMAO!

HJam72
09-17-2010, 05:16 PM
IMHO:

The running back should not be allowed to stiff-arm anyone to any part of the helmet--shoulders, chest, etc., fine--but, it is allowed, so that part is OK for Foster. He DID wrap his fingers around the facemask, though, which is technically illegal. He did NOT pull on the facemask in any direction....at least not enough to freaking matter. He just wrapped his fingers out of human nature, tendency to grab, whatever. They shouldn't allow them to touch the freaking facemask in the first place. Not his fault the rules are stupid.

Quin did hit a guy helmet to helmet. Just one of those playing football and not being extra weenie careful things. The penalty was arguable....one way or another. The fine is bullcrap.

All in all, I think they are fining whoever they can because it pisses off the league that we didn't let forehead come back on us. TOUGH *&(), and just wait 'till you see what they do to your beloved Romo! :texflag:

Thorn
09-17-2010, 05:19 PM
Foster got a Stupid Overkill Clown Knocker fine huh?

Tonaaayyyy
09-17-2010, 05:22 PM
The colts had a few facemask on Arian near the endzone... Did they get fined???? Mcnair should have a piggybank set aside for our players so they wouldn't be reluctant to play how they did against the Colts.

Rey
09-17-2010, 05:23 PM
Quinn was also fine earlier in the week, $5,000, for not wearing his socks correctly.

http://geeksandsports.com/?p=1478

Andre_Johnson
09-17-2010, 05:40 PM
Foster got a Stupid Overkill Clown Knocker fine huh?

No, it was Quinn with the SOCK fine

The Pencil Neck
09-17-2010, 05:52 PM
There were two plays where the Colts grabbed Foster by the facemask. They weren't flagged.

Where's their G-D fine?

The Pencil Neck
09-17-2010, 05:53 PM
The colts had a few facemask on Arian near the endzone... Did they get fined???? Mcnair should have a piggybank set aside for our players so they wouldn't be reluctant to play how they did against the Colts.

Exactly. I counted 2.

imatexan
09-17-2010, 06:05 PM
This is just plain ridiculous.

NFL had to find a way to try and put the Texans down but they can't take away the W!

Thorn
09-17-2010, 06:20 PM
No, it was Quinn with the SOCK fine

Well, there went the joke then. LOL

CloakNNNdagger
09-17-2010, 06:36 PM
Looks like the NFL just figured out how to get back some of their losses

From PFT:

Your Friday afternoon fine round up
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 17, 2010 4:05 PM ET

NFL players do the darndest things each week on gameday. And then the league takes money away from them for it. Here's a quick roundup of this week's player fines:

1. Vikings right tackle Phil Loadholdt was fined $10,000 for two unnecessary roughness violations, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter. He grabbed his opponent by the facemask on two separate plays.

2. Schefter also says that Cowboys defensive tackle Jay Ratliff was fined $5,000 for going after Donovan McNabb's knee.

3. From Sean Jensen of the Chicago Sun-Times: Brian Urlacher was fined $5,000 for unnecessary roughness, for a block in the back on back during a fumble recovery.

4. Lindsay Jones of the Denver Post: Broncos defensive Ryan McBean has been fined $5,000 by the league for a facemask penalty on Maurice Jones-Drew.

5. Texans running back Arian Foster and cornerback Glover Quin were both fined $5,000 for unnecessary roughness penalties, according to John McClain of the Houston Chronicle. You don't see many running backs get these; Foster grabbed a facemask at the end of a run.

6. From Mike Reiss of ESPNBoston.com: Patriots safety Patrick Chung has been fined $5,000 for a late hit.

7. From Mike Garafolo of the Newark Star-Ledger: Panthers safety Sherrod Martin got fined $5,000 for what Giants tight end Travis Beckum called a dirtbag move.

That list even left out:

Julius Peppers was fined $5000 for an ilegal hit on the QB Mathew Stafford.

Darnell Docket was fined $5000 for tweeting inside of 90 mins of the game.

Calais Campbell was fined $5,000 for a hit on QB Sam Bradford (not a good day for the Staffords).

The Tacks' Stephen Tulloch was fined $7,500 for unnecessary roughness (horsecollar)

To read in more detail about these fines LINK (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81a9a76d/printable/panthers-martin-fined-5k-for-hit-that-concussed-giants-boss)

I'll be checking for game day player parking tickets next.:thinking:

DexmanC
09-17-2010, 06:38 PM
Vonta Leach committed full-out ASSAULT on Sunday,and HE wasn't fined?! The
officials are dropping the BALL!

TimeKiller
09-17-2010, 06:42 PM
Did they give Calvin Johnson 5K for screwing him? NO?!? Bastages.

Next they're going to fine Foster for bowing after TD's....

CloakNNNdagger
09-17-2010, 06:46 PM

Dang right, they should have the other times...............for conduct unbecoming of an NFL player. To think that they would let someone simulate MOONing his opposition...........that's disgusting!:texflag:

Joe Texan
09-17-2010, 07:12 PM

7500 dollar fine for acting like President Obama when around our enemies

Joe Texan
09-17-2010, 07:15 PM
Foster got facemasked in the endzone at the Bull Pen while on the ground. it was blatent and very visible but the blind mice cannot see anything the Red and Blue get done to them

michaelm
09-17-2010, 08:50 PM
foster is gonna need every penny after his playing career...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnEr34dOR2Q

a little humor at mike patrick's expense.

That's priceless... a philosophy store. Arian is my new hero...

El Tejano
09-17-2010, 09:25 PM
Noone beats Peyton like that and gets away with it.

Signed,

Commissioner Roger Goodell

Maddict5
09-17-2010, 09:49 PM
nvm

TheDrifter
09-17-2010, 10:17 PM
Arian is lucky.

Normally you put a beating on 11 guys like he did the Colts defense you can expect some community service and probation as well.

Thorn
09-17-2010, 10:29 PM
Arian is lucky.

Normally you put a beating on 11 guys like he did the Colts defense you can expect some community service and probation as well.

Well that's a lot funnier than my joke. LOL

Pantherstang84
09-18-2010, 07:11 AM
Foster fined by NFL for stiff arming Bethea...

DeMarCushPoll
09-18-2010, 07:19 AM
Foster fined by NFL for stiff arming Bethea...

The way I understood it, he was fined for grabbing the face-mask not stiff-arming. The Texans should pay that fine though IMO.

Pantherstang84
09-18-2010, 07:45 AM
The way I understood it, he was fined for grabbing the face-mask not stiff-arming. The Texans should pay that fine though IMO.

They're splitting hairs. It's stiff arming.

DeMarCushPoll
09-18-2010, 07:48 AM
They're splitting hairs. It's stiff arming.

I totally agree

kiwitexansfan
09-18-2010, 08:02 AM
A stiff arm with a handful of grill is much more effective than one without.

Do the crime, pay the fine.

Showtime100
09-18-2010, 08:03 AM
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75481&highlight=Foster+fines :)

Texans Pride
09-18-2010, 08:32 AM
A stiff arm to the helmet is not illegal, Grabbing the face-mask and holding onto it for an additional 8 yards however, is!

DavidC
09-18-2010, 08:46 AM
A stiff arm to the helmet is not illegal, Grabbing the face-mask and holding onto it for an additional 8 yards however, is!

It is a good thing that it was not called, because that would have negated his longest run of the game, and the Colts were not out of it at that point.

rmartin65
09-18-2010, 08:57 AM
I see some excellent homerism about this topic. Its a facemask. Runners get away with too much as it is.

hradhak
09-18-2010, 09:04 AM
Honestly, the physical damage did to the Colts is nothing compared to the mental decimation. I'm glad no flag was called on the play, I think the Texans are happy to cough up cash for wins as long as they don't get called for stuff on the field

hot pickle
09-18-2010, 09:15 AM
so now the nfl is gonna fine the players if the refs miss a call??? WOW

ughhh this really upsets me..... get ready for flag football in 2011 boys

rmartin65
09-18-2010, 09:17 AM
so now the nfl is gonna fine the players if the refs miss a call??? WOW

They have been doing it forever. As much as I like picking on refs, they cant possibly see everything.

Double Barrel
09-18-2010, 09:19 AM
I was surprised when they didn't call it during the game. Fine is no big deal after the fact.

Showtime100
09-18-2010, 09:22 AM
I was surprised when they didn't call it during the game. Fine is no big deal after the fact.

I agree it's no big deal but it rubs me the wrong way entirely for the NFL to go back and impose a fine on what was simply a missed call. The principle of the thing just stinks.

CloakNNNdagger
09-18-2010, 09:29 AM
The five-yard penalty for an incidental grabbing of the facemask is no longer with us. Only a 15-yard penalty remains. Up until the 2008 season, deciding between a five and 15-yard penalty was often a judgment call and the new rule eliminates this gray area for officials. Today, with the new system, there are much less facemask calls but with much more yardage penalized.

The RB can stiff arm the helmet. Similarly, an RB's helmet can have the same applied to his helmet. According to 2010 NFL RULE 12-2-8-j, the penalty is applied to "any player who grabs a helmet opening of an opponent and forcibly twists, turns, or pulls his head" (2009 NFL RULE 12-2-8-i read that the penalty was applied to "any player who hooks his fingers under the helmet of an opponent and forcibly twists his head."). Simply grabbing the facemask does not automatically invoke the penalty. However, you can see how easily virtually any movement of the head can be interpreted to complete the criteria for penalty.

The facemask penalty also applies to any helmet opening. So it applies to the earhole and the entire rim of the openings around the neck and face.

Ryan
09-18-2010, 10:24 AM
The only fines we got this week were ripping that Colts team a new one. That should be illegal to run all over teams like that.

Koolaid Time
09-18-2010, 10:33 AM
No fine from the NFL for the "Thug Attire" worn by Randy Moss at the Post Game Press Conference last week?

http://www.redlasso.com/ClipPlayer.aspx?id=bccf15be-99f0-4e24-9dfe-34fbc60522d1

BigBull17
09-18-2010, 10:37 AM
The helmet-to-helmet I understand (even if I don't agree with it), but the non-call facemask? Are we going to start fining O-Linemen for holding too? WTH?

I understand the need for safety, but they need to start looking at how receivers lower their heads into the contact.

Big Lou
09-18-2010, 11:19 AM
Fines should be proportional to pay. Quin and Foster don't make crap compared to say a Ray Lewis. A $5000 fine to someone making 8 million a year is nothing, it's a lot to two young guys on thier first contracts!!!!!

CloakNNNdagger
09-18-2010, 11:23 AM
This Quin sock violation just bugged the heck out of me. I had to find the rules and the trigger. Before finding the rules, I reviewed the game and could not find anything different about Quin's socks.

[NFL] Socks Rules:

One of the more common violations, along with jerseys.

Players are issued a two-piece sock. One part is white, and the other part is the team color like blue for the Rams. If a player has only the white or only the blue showing, that's a violation.

The white sock, worn over the full-length stockings in team colors, must extend to the midpoint of the lower leg. Stockings must meet the pants below the knee.

However, after finding the rules, I can tell you that Quin was penalized because his stockings did not "meet the pants BELOW the knee"...........they were at the upper end of the knee cap.

I'l leave you with one last note..........There is procedure AFTER the games for "inspectors" to review game tapes to determine these fines.

Alas, the NFL Fashion Police are here.

mattieuk
09-18-2010, 12:04 PM
Both the facemask and sock fines seem excessive to me.

I don't think there was any intent from Arian on his run - he was 35 yards into a run, after going all day, and I think a little bit of fatigue is more than a good enough excuse for not getting his palm perfectly straight.

As for wearing his socks too high. Come on. When I played soccer, I always liked to pull my socks up as high as possible, to help provide a little more protection to the knees against falls and scrapes. I'm sure this is the reason Quin was doing it. Basically the NFL wants players to not feel safe. [/clutching at straws]

TimeKiller
09-18-2010, 12:15 PM
All I see him doing is stopping a guy from trying to hit him when his intent is clearly to run out of bounds anyway. So, I guess it's illegal for players to protect themselves. If Foster wanted to get hit he easily could've put a challenge out there, he had some space to make a move. Instead, he runs straight for the sideline not wanting to take a hit and the defender tried to tackle him anyway but catches a good stiff arm instead. It's not like he yanked his helmet down trying to tackle him, as so many defenders are going to end up doing to him.

Thorn
09-18-2010, 12:18 PM
Both the facemask and sock fines seem excessive to me.

The sock fine is just completed stupid and uncalled for, but hey, it's the No Fun League in action.

As to the facemask, Foster grabed hold of the facemask and held on for several seconds. I'm suprised it wasn't called. That one is justified IMO.

Revolution
09-18-2010, 12:28 PM
And the one I am most upset about is the Quin fine. That was a good clean hit. The fact that the helmets his was incidental. We are really wussifying the sport! Might as well put flags on their waists. We are heading down that road...

rickyb
09-18-2010, 10:19 PM
We've made the big time.

From McClain twitter:

This is gold. As if Arian Foster needed a reason to get amped for Sunday.