PDA

View Full Version : Wilbon - Texans' Mario Williams: anything but a mistake

IDEXAN
09-17-2010, 02:42 PM
Whatever Williams hasn't become yet, it's obvious that anybody who thought he was a bad pick or the wrong pick relative to Bush, was wrong. Houston has its pass rusher and a pretty darned good quarterback in Matt Schaub, who threw for more than 4,000 yards last season. And if Williams can have four to six more games the remainder of this season like he had last week, the Texans likely will not only hold their own against the Colts but also get into position to make the playoffs for the first time ever.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/16/AR2010091604760.html
&&
Wilbon seems to be saying a repeat of the 2006 Draft looks like this to him: VY, Mario,
Bush. Anyway, he writes for the Redskins hometown paper and we're playing them this week so, FWIW ?

Hookem Horns
09-17-2010, 03:42 PM
LOL, I was reading the Comments section on that article and someone posted this ...

Casserly was run out of town for not taking Bush. Every good player they have was brought in by Casserly. He's almost as under-appreciated as Bobby Beathard. Gibbs got all the glory while Beathard did the work.

Whaaaa??

Section516
09-17-2010, 03:43 PM
LOL, I was reading the Comments section on that article and someone posted this ...

Whaaaa??

The power of the internets can be enthralling. :thinking:

Texan_Bill
09-17-2010, 03:44 PM

Whaaaa??

:thinking: :thud:

BigBull17
09-17-2010, 03:46 PM
Whatever Williams hasn't become yet, it's obvious that anybody who thought he was a bad pick or the wrong pick relative to Bush, was wrong. Houston has its pass rusher and a pretty darned good quarterback in Matt Schaub, who threw for more than 4,000 yards last season. And if Williams can have four to six more games the remainder of this season like he had last week, the Texans likely will not only hold their own against the Colts but also get into position to make the playoffs for the first time ever.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/16/AR2010091604760.html
&&
Wilbon seems to be saying a repeat of the 2006 Draft looks like this to him: VY, Mario,
Bush. Anyway, he writes for the Redskins hometown paper and we're playing them this week so, FWIW ?

VY first...? Seriously...? Where is the threw up in my mouth smiley...?

Ole Miss Texan
09-17-2010, 03:47 PM
Casserly was run out of town for not taking Bush. Every good player they have was brought in by Casserly. He's almost as under-appreciated as Bobby Beathard. Gibbs got all the glory while Beathard did the work.
Whaaaa??
Wow, that's one of the most inaccurate and idiotic things I've ever heard. If someone were to tell me they thought the earth was flat I'd almost still think they were more intelligent than this guy!

nero THE zero
09-17-2010, 03:49 PM

Whaaaa??

All it'd take is one time listening to Timmy B slobber, err... interview Casserly to come away with that impression. It is honestly disgusting to sit there and listen to his rubbish.

Brando literally sat there and on multiple occasions within a one segment interview consoled Casserly on the fact that Casserly was criticized for drafting Mario by all Houstonians, and is disliked in Houston to this day for that reason.

It's amazing how twisted the truth can become.

Hookem Horns
09-17-2010, 03:53 PM
Ha, someone just replied to that guy. Good going if it were one of you ...

In response to "Casserly was run out of town for not taking Bush. Every good player they have was brought in by Casserly. He's almost as under-appreciated as Bobby Beathard. Gibbs got all the glory while Beathard did the work."

Someone has NO CLUE about the Texans and what Casserly did here. Casserly was a lame duck GM BEFORE the 2006 draft. He was drooling all over Reggie Bush. Someone with some brains pulled the trigger for Mario despite Casserly wanting Bush. Casserly was HORRIBLE at drafting. The only reason he got lucky with Andre Johnson is because the Lions drafted the guy he really wanted, Charles Rogers (who?). It took Kubiak and current GM Smith all of this time to fix the mess Casserly left here. His drafting in Washington was just as bad, look at the history. Desmond Howard anyone?

JCTexan
09-17-2010, 04:00 PM
Ha, someone just replied to that guy. Good going if it were one of you ...

The only person still on the team before the 2006 off-season is Andre Johnson. I have a hard time giving Casserly any credit for the 2006 draft because it turned out way better than the rest of the drafts while he was GM.

El Tejano
09-17-2010, 04:02 PM
The only person still on the team before the 2006 off-season is Andre Johnson. I have a hard time giving Casserly any credit for the 2006 draft because it turned out way better than the rest of the drafts while he was GM.

And if you notice, Casserly never takes credit for Demeco Ryans, Eric Winston, Owen Daniels, Zac Diles or even David Anderson (damn that draft was good!)

gtexan02
09-17-2010, 04:05 PM
I didn't realize Casserly posted on the ESPN boards!

Hervoyel
09-17-2010, 04:10 PM
VY first...? Seriously...? Where is the threw up in my mouth smiley...?

VY first?

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc272/Hervoyel/HeadSplode.gif

Dutchrudder
09-17-2010, 04:18 PM

Whaaaa??

THat quote is almost awful enough to warrant a neg rep for you...

Almost...

Maddict5
09-17-2010, 04:19 PM
And if you notice, Casserly never takes credit for Demeco Ryans, Eric Winston, Owen Daniels, Zac Diles or even David Anderson (damn that draft was good!)

*diles was in the amobi, schaub .5, jacoby class of 07 which looks better & better (bar bennett) every yr (still nothing like 06 though)

Texans_Chick
09-17-2010, 04:27 PM
Actually, Kubiak has given public credit to Casserly regarding the Owen Daniels pick.

The current staff is ego-less enough that they let people think what they want about that draft.

But yeah, the revisionist talk about Casserly is a joke. I also think it is a joke to suggest that everybody at the draft party boo'd Mario. This is what I wrote at the time: compare and contrast the pictures-

Texans Under Pressure: Mario Williams or David Carr (http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2006/09/08/media-myths-and-texans-fans/)

(with apologies for the formatting--when it first ran, the formatting looked right).

GuerillaBlack
09-17-2010, 04:30 PM
Remember when people were saying at the draft party that this is like Portland passing on MJ for Sam Bowie? Well, a lot of people forget that the Rockets picked Hakeem with the first pick that year. Mario will become the Hakeem of the NFL. Defensive force. :D

houstonspartan
09-17-2010, 04:32 PM
Actually, Kubiak has given public credit to Casserly regarding the Owen Daniels pick.

The current staff is ego-less enough that they let people think what they want about that draft.

But yeah, the revisionist talk about Casserly is a joke. I also think it is a joke to suggest that everybody at the draft party boo'd Mario. This is what I wrote at the time: compare and contrast the pictures-

Texans Under Pressure: Mario Williams or David Carr (http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2006/09/08/media-myths-and-texans-fans/)

(with apologies for the formatting--when it first ran, the formatting looked right).

Casserly picked OD? Damn. I didn't know that. Owen Daniels seems like a Kubiak-type of pick.

I'm really shocked that Casserly hasn't rented a plane to announce that he choose Owen, since the guy has emerged as a superstar before his injury. Casserly's ego is big enough that he would surely want full credit for that pick.

houstonspartan
09-17-2010, 04:40 PM

Wait. Call me ignorant, but I didn't know all of those guys came out of that same draft class. Damn!

Ok, that means that, if those guys were drafted then, then they should be hitting their prime right...about....NOW.

Wow. I literally just got goosebumps. No joke.

IDEXAN
09-17-2010, 04:50 PM

That was very thoughtful of you TC and of course it's true. I've read Kubiaks commets over the years in various places where he was reported to have specifically credited Casserly, who everybody in Houston continues to enjoy to vilify, as the one most responsible for the decision to draft OD.
Now whether or not he deserves any more credit for that highly successful 2006 Draft, who knows ? Lot of times a GM and HC automatically share most of the credit (or blame) for a Draft, but that's probably really dumbing it down.

Scooter
09-17-2010, 05:18 PM
i have a hard time giving casserly credit for any of the picks, despite what kubiak might say. just look at the players taken in 06 and how similar they are to several future picks made without casserly. just a year or two after mario, smith drafts another underaged super potential defensive lineman in okoye. our linebackers are all extremely similar player types to ryans - cushing would be the oddity if any as more of a bigger line of scrimmage OLB. capers never got bookends, kubiak shows up and both LT and RT are knocked out in one draft. and daniels is the multi-position receiving tightend that we've drafted almost every season under kubiak (hill being the exception).

new coach came in and drafted his future leaders (and got his quarterback the next season) ... anchors at DE, MLB, and both OT positions. as for daniels - does that sound like a casserly pick or one made a former qb and coach who leaned on shannon sharpe? no, i'm not giving any credit to casserly for the 2006 draft.

The Pencil Neck
09-17-2010, 05:23 PM
Wait. Call me ignorant, but I didn't know all of those guys came out of that same draft class. Damn!

Ok, that means that, if those guys were drafted then, then they should be hitting their prime right...about....NOW.

Diles was actually the 7th round pick the year AFTER that.

Scooter
09-17-2010, 05:26 PM

dangit man, as much as we argue and as many times as i've said it, this is what makes you realize that our old timers are just now getting in their prime? lol i'm teasing. it's exciting to think that when these old fogies are 29-30, our younger cushing and duane brown and okoye and jackson (and, and, and) players will be hitting their primes as well. our one foot in the grave players (29-30 now) like johnson, wilson, and schaub will be in their early 30's and the true probowl veterans and on field coaches that every team loves to have.

future's bright for texans fans.

infantrycak
09-17-2010, 05:58 PM
Casserly picked OD? Damn. I didn't know that. Owen Daniels seems like a Kubiak-type of pick.

After the draft Kubiak was quoted as saying Casserly convinced him to take OD with the pick. So yeah CC gets credit for that one. At the same time it shows who was in control of the draft - Kubiak.

Hookem Horns
09-17-2010, 07:53 PM
After the draft Kubiak was quoted as saying Casserly convinced him to take OD with the pick. So yeah CC gets credit for that one. At the same time it shows who was in control of the draft - Kubiak.

I wonder if he also convinced Capers of drafting Bennie Joppru.

ChampionTexan
09-17-2010, 08:04 PM
I wonder if he also convinced Capers of drafting Bennie Joppru.

Actually, criticizing that pick is kind of a pet peeve of mine, if for no other reasons there are so many picks, so much more validly subject to criticism.

Joppru was a guy who stayed healthy in college, but never stayed healthy in the NFL. It was a wasted pick, but IMO, no more subject to criticism than the Charles Spencer pick.

Now if Joppru had missed significant time in college because of injuries, then that's a different story, but he didn't.

Jeff S.
09-17-2010, 08:36 PM
That was very thoughtful of you TC and of course it's true. I've read Kubiaks commets over the years in various places where he was reported to have specifically credited Casserly, who everybody in Houston continues to enjoy to vilify, as the one most responsible for the decision to draft OD.
Now whether or not he deserves any more credit for that highly successful 2006 Draft, who knows ? Lot of times a GM and HC automatically share most of the credit (or blame) for a Draft, but that's probably really dumbing it down.

Sure, it's possible Casserly got a couple right. But I think you have to look at the net: add in the all the draft busts going back to '02, and also the trades and FA signings (Todd Wade, Buchanon arrrrgghh). And I think the bottom line is what was the overall state of the talent when Casserly/Capers left.

houstonspartan
09-18-2010, 12:46 PM
dangit man, as much as we argue and as many times as i've said it, this is what makes you realize that our old timers are just now getting in their prime? lol i'm teasing. it's exciting to think that when these old fogies are 29-30, our younger cushing and duane brown and okoye and jackson (and, and, and) players will be hitting their primes as well. our one foot in the grave players (29-30 now) like johnson, wilson, and schaub will be in their early 30's and the true probowl veterans and on field coaches that every team loves to have.

I never questioned the talent of our players. I knew we were collecting a serious group.

What I've always questioned is our head coach. And I still do.

TimeKiller
09-18-2010, 12:54 PM
Breaking news, Mario Williams is a pretty good defensive end and is living up to his draft status.

In other news, China is communist.

Check back later for our report on Tim Tebow being a christian.

houstonspartan
09-18-2010, 01:13 PM
breaking news, mario williams is a pretty good defensive end and is living up to his draft status.

In other news, china is communist.

Check back later for our report on tim tebow being a christian.

lol!

Scooter
09-18-2010, 01:21 PM
I never questioned the talent of our players. I knew we were collecting a serious group.

What I've always questioned is our head coach. And I still do.

i was just messing with ya bud. the cornerstone of my arguements is always how young we are to be that talented and looking towards when this team actually does reach it's prime as our 06 draft is just now doing. when you said that i just had to get a jab in lol.

:toast2:

Scooter
09-18-2010, 01:23 PM
Breaking news, Mario Williams is a pretty good defensive end and is living up to his draft status.

who is this mario williams that you speak of?

Wolf
09-18-2010, 01:30 PM
"Mario is a great kid"

signed
GK

:runaway:

thunderkyss
09-18-2010, 05:15 PM
I also think it is a joke to suggest that everybody at the draft party boo'd Mario.

I was there, I don't remember a lot of booing, not to where you would think that was the majority opinion (like the Philly McNabb booing).

I even had a reporter get me on Camera & ask me what I thought about the pick, I told her, "We play Peyton Manning twice a year, I couldn't be happier with the pick."

I could tell she had no intention of putting me on TV, as they scurried off to find to find a disappointed fan.

thunderkyss
09-18-2010, 05:22 PM
As an aside, I wanted Vince Young, but supported the team. I'm a Texans... Period.

I even went out and bought a David Carr Jersey, and got behind him as best I could, pointing towards his good points, and improvements, as long as I could.

But I remember the first time Mario was introduced at Reliant, the cheers drowned the boos, easily. & when Mario got his first sack at Reliant, the place literally blew up (I'm getting chills, thinking about it right now).

Overall, I'm pretty sure Houston would have been happy with a Reggie Bush pick. I think Housont would have been happy with a VY pick. For the most part, I think Houston is happy with Mario pick.

thunderkyss
09-18-2010, 06:00 PM
i have a hard time giving casserly credit for any of the picks, despite what kubiak might say. just look at the players taken in 06 and how similar they are to several future picks made without casserly. just a year or two after mario, smith drafts another underaged super potential defensive lineman in okoye. our linebackers are all extremely similar player types to ryans - cushing would be the oddity if any as more of a bigger line of scrimmage OLB. capers never got bookends, kubiak shows up and both LT and RT are knocked out in one draft. and daniels is the multi-position receiving tightend that we've drafted almost every season under kubiak (hill being the exception).

new coach came in and drafted his future leaders (and got his quarterback the next season) ... anchors at DE, MLB, and both OT positions. as for daniels - does that sound like a casserly pick or one made a former qb and coach who leaned on shannon sharpe? no, i'm not giving any credit to casserly for the 2006 draft.

Too much truth here. Not only are the '06 picks similar to those after, they are nothing at all like the picks prior.

Oh yeah, if he was really the man in that draft, & not some puppet, he'd still have a job with the Texans, which he don't.

thunderkyss
09-18-2010, 06:05 PM

I also noticed Mike McCarthy started to put together a nice team, about the same time. He had 12 picks in that draft.

houstonspartan
09-18-2010, 06:12 PM
Too much truth here. Not only are the '06 picks similar to those after, they are nothing at all like the picks prior.

Oh yeah, if he was really the man in that draft, & not some puppet, he'd still have a job with the Texans, which he don't.

Very true. Great points. The drafts after '06 have pretty much "looked" the same, you could clearly see a vision and plan being put together.

The Pencil Neck
09-18-2010, 06:26 PM

To this day, you hear Casserly talking on some of the draft program and he consistently says that you look for starters in the 1st round and maybe the 2nd and everything after that is just hit and miss. And every time I hear him say that, it pisses me off because that pretty much sums up his draft philosophy: only the first round really matters. AND many times, he screwed that up, too.

I am so glad that regime is gone.

houstonspartan
09-18-2010, 06:42 PM
To this day, you hear Casserly talking on some of the draft program and he consistently says that you look for starters in the 1st round and maybe the 2nd and everything after that is just hit and miss. And every time I hear him say that, it pisses me off because that pretty much sums up his draft philosophy: only the first round really matters. AND many times, he screwed that up, too.

I am so glad that regime is gone.

Damn. For real, he says that? I barely pay attention to the first and second rounds. I don't start salivating until the third round. That's how teams are carefully built. That's why Bill Bellichek collects third round picks like candy.

Look at the Lions. They basically controled the draft with high picks for like 10 years, and that got them nowhere. It's not where you pick, it's the personell doing the choosing.

I guess that, technically, first rounders should automatically be starters. But as we all know, that isn't always the case.

I didn't really pay attention to him when he was here, but Casserly sounds like a dumbass.

Jeff S.
09-18-2010, 07:09 PM
It's not where you pick, it's the personell doing the choosing.

Amen, brother.

It doesn't make any difference how many draft picks you have if you don't have a stategic vision of what you want to do, and a good idea of the kinds of players you need to do it.

The Pencil Neck
09-18-2010, 11:38 PM
Damn. For real, he says that? I barely pay attention to the first and second rounds. I don't start salivating until the third round. That's how teams are carefully built. That's why Bill Bellichek collects third round picks like candy.

Look at the Lions. They basically controled the draft with high picks for like 10 years, and that got them nowhere. It's not where you pick, it's the personell doing the choosing.

I guess that, technically, first rounders should automatically be starters. But as we all know, that isn't always the case.

I didn't really pay attention to him when he was here, but Casserly sounds like a dumbass.

I've heard him say it at least on three different draft related shows where they're crowing about what a genius he is for having drafted Mario.